2019 Music Resolutions

FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

2019 Music Resolutions

Post by FrankLotion »

Anyone have any music-related resolutions for 2019? I’m going to try to fix my record player and to finally listen to King Crimson :music-listening:
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: 2019 Music Resolutions

Post by StevieFan13 »

I’m going to listen to every Beatles album straight through for the first time.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Mulholland
Let's Get It On

Post by Mulholland »

I want to finish listening to the Top 250 albums from this list (which means 74 by the end of the year) and listen to 50 new albums from 2019.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

So, for Christmas (you know, back in 2018), I got a book by Joel Whitburn. He usually publishes books like The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 1955-2009, but this covered the other end of the music world and music charts -- Pop Memories 1890-1954. Between the existence of this book, the 2010-2019 poll that I'm sure will come up, AM's main site going back to the 1890s, and Mindrocker's bonus top 35 favorite songs of the 1890s (from the 1900-1959 polls), I started to have the mad idea that I could eventually submit a poll touching on every decade of recorded music that it's existed as a fairly organized art form and that is covered on our site, from the 1890s through 2019. I remember jamieW closing out the 1900-1949 poll feeling pessimistic about the poll ever coming up again, but now, not only do I think it should come up again, it should include the prior decade as well. (For this end-to-end poll business to be appealing, I supposed it'd help if any of us here were a little eccentric or obsessed about music.) Practically speaking, including the 1890s might only mean "Stars and Stripes Forever" and another tune or two showing up in the results, though keep in mind I do have quite a few song titles I can bring up from all the various years covered in the old Whitburn book.

So my work for this year is to basically get ready for the 2010-2019 poll, and, in a bit of whiplash, work on some much, much earlier years. I didn't even participate in the 1900-1949 poll, though actually I have a decent provisional list going for that one.
Last edited by Live in Phoenix on Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

I'm going to finally get through listening to all 10,000 ranked songs. And then maybe actually get back to playing and writing music.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

I received the book "Year of Wonder" for Christmas, so I'm listening to one classical piece from the book each day this year. There is a playlist on Spotify, so an easy resolution to keep.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Recording two songs every week for 2019 - one an original song, the other a random song from the 10,000 done in a random genre
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

I'm going to prepare for the inevitable end of decade poll.
There is No More Firmament.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

ordinaryperson wrote:I'm going to prepare for the inevitable end of decade poll.
I'm so excited for the end of decade lists. 2010 was the first year I really started paying attention to new releases (and I believe the year I first discovered this site?) so all nine of the years that have happened in this decade have been ones I've loved "coming of age" as a music listener to.

And as for music resolutions, I think I'd like to record an album. I've been recording music for various projects for a long time, but now I think I'm ready to take on the task of assembling my own album. We'll see how it goes.

That reminds me, I don't think I've posted this here, but I recently finished scoring an upcoming film. It's a high school football drama entitled The Last Whistle and it'll be released publicly sometime this spring. The director wanted to get an Explosions in the Sky sound, so I delivered it the best I could, with some additional country songs for the scenes set at a Texas roadhouse bar. In addition to composing, I played guitar, bass, piano, saxophone, drums, and sang vocals on the various tracks as well as handled production and mixing. Easily the largest-scale musical endeavor I've ever undertaken. Here's a link to the trailer: https://vimeo.com/286584395

And as for listening, I don't know. I'd like to take some time off from new releases to get more acquainted with classical music. My friend who went to Juilliard recently gave me a large collection of various releases that I've not heard or only heard sparingly. This past year, I focused on exclusively new releases to an almost overwhelming extent. I tried to reach 100 new albums heard (of 2018) but I only got to 80. Oh well.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I have one main playlist on Spotify which is reserved for my favorite songs that I don't own. However, there are a lot of songs that I'd like to hear occasionally from albums I've listenes to in the past, but that aren't quite good enough for that playlist. So my resolution is to create a playlist of all the tracks I've listed under my favorites on my RYM album reviews. The initial effort is high, because I have to go back through 1000+ reviews, so I'm done with this by June I'll be happy with myself.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

My big focus this year will be setting up for a 2010s listening tournament I'm going to do in 2020. Finalize the format and the list of inclusions.

And this might be the decade a rap album takes the #1 spot. (Not that one, the one I like.)

Also will try to listen to every BMAA10 album and keep pace with all the new 2019 releases.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”