End of the decade is coming, predictions for top 5 EOD toppers?

letmeintomyzone
Different Class

End of the decade is coming, predictions for top 5 EOD toppers?

Post by letmeintomyzone »

Currently,

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Channel ORANGE
To Pimp a Butterfly
Blackstar
DAMN

could make the most consistent mentions
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Re: End of the decade is coming, predictions for top 5 EOD toppers?

Post by Nick »

Vote splitting might mean Kendrick fails to get 2 albums in the top 5, but if he does I feel confident that it’ll be for TPAB and GKMC and not DAMN.

Anyway...

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Channel Orange
To Pimp a Butterfly
Good Kid MAAD City
Blackstar
Modern Vampires of the City

...seem like the 6 most obvious picks to me.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Hoping for a push for Janelle Monáe (either The ArchAndroid or Dirty Computer).
Araluenian
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Araluenian »

I tend to think:
1. TPAB
2. MBDTF
3. Channel Orange
4. GKMC
5. Blackstar

Of which I am least confident of Blackstar’s position. That fifth position could be a bit of a lottery.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

They probably won’t top as many lists as the albums you all mentioned (which all deserve it), but I would have to imagine that The Suburbs and Lemonade stand a good chance of topping a few lists since they were list toppers themselves for a lot of websites
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

As for the one that I think will top the most lists, I think Kanye has it by a mile.
Future Critic
Let's Get It On

Post by Future Critic »

Unfortunately, I think good kid, m.A.A.d. city will be hurt by the fact that critics will refuse to put two Kendrick Lamar albums in the top four.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and To Pimp a Butterfly will probably be the top two, and I could see either taking the top spot. Channel Orange should also be a lock in the top five.

Then it gets trickier. I think Lemonade, The Suburbs and Modern Vampires of the City will round out the top six.

If I had to guess the remaining albums in the top ten, I'd go with gkmc, Blackstar, Random Access Memories and 1989.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

FrankLotion wrote:As for the one that I think will top the most lists, I think Kanye has it by a mile.
Not with a mile; I think To Pimp a Butterfly is going to give it a run for it's money. It might even defeat it. To Pimp a Butterfly currently feels as the album that encapsulates the decade best and it is by the most defining newcomer of these ten years. I was also both a big commercial as well as critical success. It has everything to feel like the "right" pick.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Future Critic wrote:Unfortunately, I think good kid, m.A.A.d. city will be hurt by the fact that critics will refuse to put two Kendrick Lamar albums in the top four.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and To Pimp a Butterfly will probably be the top two, and I could see either taking the top spot. Channel Orange should also be a lock in the top five.

Then it gets trickier. I think Lemonade, The Suburbs and Modern Vampires of the City will round out the top six.

If I had to guess the remaining albums in the top ten, I'd go with gkmc, Blackstar, Random Access Memories and 1989.
I agree with most of what you’ve said except for 1989. That album is currently ranked as the 253rd most acclaimed album of the decade. While I do think it will rise in rank significantly when the EOD lists come in, there’s just about no way it’s going to gain enough acclaim to make it vault into the top ten. We’ve seen some amazing leaps before, like with 21 and 808s and Heartbreak, but that sort of leap is entirely without precedent.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Rob wrote:
FrankLotion wrote:As for the one that I think will top the most lists, I think Kanye has it by a mile.
Not with a mile; I think To Pimp a Butterfly is going to give it a run for it's money. It might even defeat it. To Pimp a Butterfly currently feels as the album that encapsulates the decade best and it is by the most defining newcomer of these ten years. I was also both a big commercial as well as critical success. It has everything to feel like the "right" pick.
For sure! I guess I should clarify that I would prefer to have TPAB be the top because of all those reasons, I think unfortunately because it’s more radical than MBDTF in sound and message that older publications will side with the safer bet, I hope I’m wrong though! I’d be thrilled if Kendrick wins out or even Channel ORANGE
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I don't think TPAB's sound is very radical.
I feel like that
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Wow already close to the end of the decade. Damn this decade went by fast.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Nick wrote:
Future Critic wrote:Unfortunately, I think good kid, m.A.A.d. city will be hurt by the fact that critics will refuse to put two Kendrick Lamar albums in the top four.

I agree with most of what you’ve said except for 1989. That album is currently ranked as the 253rd most acclaimed album of the decade. While I do think it will rise in rank significantly when the EOD lists come in, there’s just about no way it’s going to gain enough acclaim to make it vault into the top ten. We’ve seen some amazing leaps before, like with 21 and 808s and Heartbreak, but that sort of leap is entirely without precedent.
I don't agree with Random Access Memories either, I don't think it should nor could make it to top 10. It didn't fare that well in recent "decade so far" or "all time" lists, I'd expect it to end somewhere between 20 and 25, close to its current ranking. I wouldn't even bet on Get Lucky saving its #1 spot (though I'm not sure who could snatch it).
And I think Let England Shake will be top 10, possibly top 20. NME had it #15 of all time in their latest all time list, and I would guess a lot of the UK press will put it pretty high.

I'm mostly wondering who the "classic rock" side of critics will rally around, but I'd assume they will be enough to ensure Lonerism and Sometimes I Sit... a spot in the top 10.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

One thing I've noticed about music criticism (and most journalism, really) since the Trump administration began is an increasing need to make politics much more front and center than in past years. I feel like if Kanye West continues to maintain his current course into 2019/2020, we might see MBDTF not fare as well on end of decade lists. I still believe it will make the top 10, but possibly not the top five.

And if we're talking the top songs, where we're likely to see more big shifts, I'd say:

Midnight City
Pyramids
Royals
Lazarus
Your Best American Girl
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

As for top songs, I think these songs stand the best shot of making the top ten...

Runaway
Rolling in the Deep
Midnight City
Pyramids
Oblivion
Get Lucky
Royals
Let It Happen
Lazarus
Humble
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Nick wrote:

To make things clear, is everybody talking about the AM site update after the EOD lists, or does someone mean the ranking in the EOD spreadsheet (which doesn’t take into account the current AM ranking)?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I’ll be rooting heavily for TPAB but really the only chance Kanye doesn’t take #1 is if critics punish his music for his personal nonsense.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Henrik wrote:
Nick wrote:

To make things clear, is everybody talking about the AM site update after the EOD lists, or does someone mean the ranking in the EOD spreadsheet (which doesn’t take into account the current AM ranking)?
I was talking about the former, though I seriously doubt that the latter happens as well.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”