Movin' On Up

Album Club Discussion #4: Augustus Pablo's King Tubbys Meet Rockers Uptown

Post by ordinaryperson »

King Tubbys Meets the Rockers Uptown by Augustus Pablo

AM Ranking: #676
Genre: Dub
Release: Sometime in 1976
Label: Yard International/Clocktower Records
Ranked Songs: King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown (#1515)

WikipediaRYM

01 | Keep On Dubbing
02 | Stop Them Jah
03 | Young Generation Dub
04 | Each One Dub
05 | 555 Dub Street
06 | Braces Tower Dub
07 | King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
08 | Corner Crew Dub
09 | Say So
10 | Skanking Dub
11 | Frozen Dub
12 | Satta Dub

Any type of opinion can be expressed on these discussion threads, you can post just a few words or a couple of paragraphs, you can even rank the tracks if you wanted to. New discussions will be posted on Fridays, so that users will have the time over the weekend to listen to the album and form their opinion on it.

HINT FOR NEXT WEEK'S ALBUM
Yet another album from the top 1000 will be featured next week. The album's title shares it's name with a cowboy.
There is No More Firmament.
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Re: Album Club Discussion #4: Augustus Pablo's King Tubbys Meet Rockers Uptown

Post by Safetycat »

I had never heard this album before this thread, but it was still very nostalgic for me, mainly because of how similar it is to the sound of the dub and roots music that was made in New Zealand in the 2000's and which I grew up with.

The album itself is excellent, with a wonderful chill vibe. That's all I really can say about it though - it's great to listen to, but nothing stands out, because it all works together to make this wonderful flow. Only occasionally will a new effect arrive to break the flow of the basslines, in a way that feels like you're just on a small boat in the middle of the ocean, moving with the waves. 8/10 solid background music.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

I’m gonna echo pretty much everything Safetycat said, this is some good mood music, it’s all pretty seemless and even has a few weird left hooks every once in a while! I feel like a lot of dub music can sound so washed out and lifeless that it’s nice to hear a record that’s so punchy and fun (that bass in Satta Dub sounds amazing btw). With that said I guess I was a little shocked to see how high this album ranks on AM since it’s not the most dynamic or interesting listen, even if I can appreciate that this was probably groundbreaking for the genre at the time. Still, this was another nice surprise, can’t wait to see what’s next week!

Grade: Slightly Overrated
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Few reactions here and again I am late to the party.

This was an unexpectedly warm October week, probably specifically so to make listening to this album more appropriate. I don't know much about dub music, but this was a pleasant discovery. Nobody is going to call this album varied, yet it changes things up just enough to remain an engaging listen. It feels rather light-weight to me, but that is also part of the appeal. Hard to say something deep about it, though. It is just happy to exist in it's sunny world.
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

No new album club this week? I know not too many people participate but I definitely look forward to them! :music-listening:
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

FrankLotion wrote:No new album club this week? I know not too many people participate but I definitely look forward to them! :music-listening:
Yeah, I forgot to update it last week. I will definitely post discussion #5 this week.
There is No More Firmament.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”