AM real life Stockholm Meeting: Henrik and Moonbeam

Moonbeam
Full of Fire

AM real life Stockholm Meeting: Henrik and Moonbeam

Post by Moonbeam »

After May's meetup in Helsinki, I knew I would be back in September for more shenanigans! Henrik was gracious enough to invite me to Stockholm, so of course I agreed to it!

After arriving on Friday night, Henrik and I decided to continue the tradition from May and went out for karaoke at a bar called Den gröne Jägaren. There was only one rule from the karaoke DJ: no ballads! So we sat through some great performances (and some not so great ones) of uptempo hits in various languages, including many Eurovision songs, Swedish songs of various genres, including dansbandsmusik (dance band music), which according to RYM owes its origin in part to "bland rock music". The crowd were highly festive, and Henrik and I joined the fun. Henrik did an amazing, energetic version of Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus", and I took a turn with Prince's "Kiss" and The Gap Band's "You Dropped a Bomb on Me".

On Saturday, we ventured downtown, first to go record shopping, where I picked up a copy of Prince's newly released Piano & a Microphone 1983 and Jenny Wilson's EXORCISM (which you should listen to RIGHT NOW as it is BRILLIANT). Then, we wandered around Stockholm's scenic Old Town.

The rest of the day was dedicated to celebrating Swedish music. First, we went to the ABBA museum, where I revealed my ignorance about their history multiple times (Did you know that ABBA gets its name from the first names of the four members? Did you know that throughout most of their history, the 4 members of ABBA consisted of 2 couples? Of course you did! But somehow I didn't...). The museum had lots of interactive components, where you can attempt to recreate the mix of classic ABBA songs, dance along to their choreography, and sing your heart out. I came away from the museum with much more interest in their music, and picked up a remastered version of Voulez-Vous in acknowledgement of its inclusion of "Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight)" which Henrik and I belted out (in addition to "Dancing Queen").

Thereafter, we returned to Henrik's place, where he had arranged a music night with friends. During the previous week, Henrik, his friends and I each nominated 6 songs from Swedish artists released from 2010-2018, and then assigned points to each of the 30 nominated songs. For the music night, an impartial party assembled a Spotify playlist counting down the songs from 30 to 1. It was awesome to learn so many great songs and discuss these songs and artists with friends who are nearly as kind as Henrik is and nearly as passionate as he is about music! Robyn took out the top 2 slots, with "Call Your Girlfriend" being the runner up to "Dancing on My Own".

On Sunday, we had a blast with Henrik's wonderful kids Hanna and Melker. And when I say wonderful, I mean it! It's no surprise that Henrik would have amazing kids, but they made me feel very comfortable and involved me in the fun of the day. We started out by playing Super Mario Kart on the Wii U, Henrik and Melker leaving me in their dust! We then went to the aquarium, marvelling at the various sea life that was present. The aquarium is situated near Stockholm's gorgeous waterfront, where we took a selfie upon Melker's suggestion:

Henrik and his kids then introduced me to the very important Swedish tradition - that of the fika (coffee break)! We found a massive cafe which must seat hundreds of people, and yet we struggled to find a place to sit given the popularity of this cafe and the fika in general! Afterward, we headed back to Henrik's place, where a dance battle ensued in the form of the Wii U game Just Dance! After 4 songs (including "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga, "The Angry Birds Theme (Balkan Blast Version)", "Lights" by Ellie Goulding, and "Cool for the Summer" by Demi Lovato), there was no denying that Hanna was queen of the dancefloor, but we all had fun!

Of course, as time was winding down, we had to come up with the traditional album/single cover to commemorate the visit. We deliberated about which image to replicate, initially thinking about Pet Shop Boys, but then we settled on "I Saved the World Today" by Eurythmics, one of a growing list of favorite artists Henrik and I have in common.

A borrowed shirt, a patient photographer (Hanna), and some clever photo editing skills to remove my patchy chest hair all coalesced to produce this rendition:

I am very fortunate to have met such a great friend in Henrik (in addition to many others from AM who I have met or hope to meet someday). This visit reminds me how wonderful our little community is, and how much value it brings to our lives. Mushy though that sentiment may be, as the #9 song of our music evening attests, "I don't care... I love it!"
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: AM real life Stockholm Meeting: Henrik and Moonbeam

Post by StevieFan13 »

That sounds like such a wonderful trip! The folks here are good folks.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Oh damn, this cover make me laught so hard... thanks to both of you. You are great guys.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Moonbeam, thanks for all the kind words. I really enjoyed reading this, but its nothing compared to a meeting with you in real life. I am so glad I got an opportunity to see you again, so soon after our Helsinki meeting.

You have a remarkable ability to get me singing. I don’t do that a lot otherwise, but I’ve had so much fun with you on the karaoke nights. I will also remember when we sang louder than well in the little booth in the ABBA museum. There was only a curtain to this booth. When we got out a group of girls giggled and one of them rather sarcastically said ”You did well...!”

By the way, ”Kiss” and ”You Dropped a Bomb on Me” videos are available on demand...
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Oh yeah, that reminds me: if I do ever somehow find a way to Stockholm, the ABBA Museum is the first stop. And anything Eurovision-related that's around. Maybe if I visit around Melodifestivalen...
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

"I Shaved My Chest Today," hahaha, that's hilarious! :D
It's so great to see you together having so much fun. And it's great to see again Hannah and Melker, the truly wonderful kids of Henrik (they growed up a lot!).
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

StevieFan13 wrote:That sounds like such a wonderful trip! The folks here are good folks.
It really was! Hard to believe it was a week ago now that it started!
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Romain wrote:Oh damn, this cover make me laught so hard... thanks to both of you. You are great guys.
We had a lot of fun trying to make the picture just right.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Henrik wrote:Moonbeam, thanks for all the kind words. I really enjoyed reading this, but its nothing compared to a meeting with you in real life. I am so glad I got an opportunity to see you again, so soon after our Helsinki meeting.

You have a remarkable ability to get me singing. I don’t do that a lot otherwise, but I’ve had so much fun with you on the karaoke nights. I will also remember when we sang louder than well in the little booth in the ABBA museum. There was only a curtain to this booth. When we got out a group of girls giggled and one of them rather sarcastically said ”You did well...!”

By the way, ”Kiss” and ”You Dropped a Bomb on Me” videos are available on demand...
I'm glad I can be a catalyst for your singing - you definitely have no reason to be shy about it!

Yes, the commentary after our performance at the ABBA museum was quite funny! I couldn't tell if she was serious or not, but probably not!
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Honorio wrote:"I Shaved My Chest Today," hahaha, that's hilarious! :D
It's so great to see you together having so much fun. And it's great to see again Hannah and Melker, the truly wonderful kids of Henrik (they growed up a lot!).
They really are wonderful kids! I feel really happy and lucky that I got to meet them.
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

It makes me happy to read this. :greetings-waveyellow:

I heard through the grapevine that there might be another meet-up in Montpellier in spring next year. If so, I'll make every effort to be there (or wherever the next one will be).
Henrik wrote:By the way, ”Kiss” and ”You Dropped a Bomb on Me” videos are available on demand...
Bring it on! (If they're still available).
...will keep us together.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

:greetings-waveyellow: :greetings-waveyellow: :greetings-waveyellow:

Great to see the pictures and read the story !

See u guys in Montpellier
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Dan wrote:
Henrik wrote:By the way, ”Kiss” and ”You Dropped a Bomb on Me” videos are available on demand...
Bring it on! (If they're still available).
Of course! :happy-partydance:
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Hahahahahaha... what a incredible performer!

Moonbeam, our young Mick Jagger :-)
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Henrik wrote: Moonbeam = :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: videos
Wow.

I have a few questions.

At what crazy speed do you whip the mic from your lips to the full extent of your arm and then back up again?
How much grease and mojo are in your hips and shoulders?
Why do you squat so easily?
Did you hit anyone when you kicked off your shoe in the “Kiss” video?
How nice of that man to bring your shoe back to you?
Did you shave your chest that day?

You and I are the same age. I used to dance A LOT, but unlike you I’ve not properly got my groove on for a while now. This has definitely inspired me to dust off my dancing shoes and make them shiny.
...will keep us together.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

:D
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

I loved the flying shoe
Fetch the Bolt Cutters...
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

You guys are too kind! The flying shoe was meant to go with the lyric "act your age, not your shoe size", haha. I didn't hit anyone, thankfully!

I guess for me, music like this commands MOTION - I can't stay still while listening to it, whether in my car, on public transport, or at karaoke! I feel like I'd sooner forget my own name than stay still while a song like "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" is playing - the synths and the sounds inhabit my body and do what they will. :)

Usually these days it is indeed while driving or vacuuming that I get to play music, so on these occasions where I have the opportunity to go out dancing/singing, I make the most of it.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”