The AMF Top Songs of All Time 2018 Edition: Results

Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Re: The AMF Top Songs of All Time 2018 Edition: Results

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

But I never saw the good side of the city 'til I hitched a ride on a river boat queen
[310] Creedence Clearwater Revival | Proud Mary
[655.10 pts / 19 votes]
AM rank: 109
2015 AMF Rank: 192
Fans: Whuntva (37), andyd1010 (77)
Bad news comes, don't you worry even when it lands, good news will work its way to all them plans
[309] Modest Mouse | Float On
[655.90 pts / 19 votes]
AM rank: 410
2015 AMF Rank: 861
Fans: Neil (39), StevieFan13 (82)
I made mistakes, I bumped my head, courts sucked me dry, I spent that bread
[308] Kanye West | All of the Lights
[656.64 pts / 15 votes]
AM rank: 1981
2015 AMF Rank: 489
Fans: gabebasso (20), StevieFan13 (28), PlasticRam (58)
Hang my head, drown my fear, till you all just disappear
[307] Soundgarden | Black Hole Sun
[657.93 pts / 19 votes]
AM rank: 435
2015 AMF Rank: 499
Fans: Whuntva (26), andyd1010 (65)
Comme la vague irrésolue je vais, je vais et je viens entre tes reins
[306] Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin | Je t'aime... moi non plus
[658.93 pts / 17 votes]
AM rank: 362
2015 AMF Rank: 171
Fans: Otisredding (10), Henrik (15), Romain (22)
Under a blood red sky, a crowd has gathered in black and white
[305] U2 | New Year's Day
[659.08 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 569
2015 AMF Rank: 723
Fans: Live in Phoenix (7), gabebasso (57)
I'm not going to get too sentimental, like those other sticky valentines, 'cause I don't know if you were loving somebody, I only know it isn't mine
[304] Elvis Costello | Alison
[659.79 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 415
2015 AMF Rank: 150
Fans: Emerald (9), Jirin (100)
Take me for a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship
[303] The Byrds | Mr. Tambourine Man
[660.53 pts / 15 votes]
AM rank: 54
2015 AMF Rank: 325
Fans: Jap123 (3), Nick (60), Krurze (65)
"I hear you're mad about Brubeck - I like your eyes, I like him too - He's an artist, a pioneer - We've got to have some music on the new frontier"
~ Donald Fagen, "New Frontier"
[302] Dave Brubeck Quartet | Take Five
[661.03 pts / 21 votes]
AM rank: 991
2015 AMF Rank: 515
Fans: Gillingham (32), Dexter (44)
Through the glory of life, I will scatter on the floor, disappointed and sore
[301] Portishead | The Rip
[661.44 pts / 17 votes]
AM rank: 913
2015 AMF Rank: 365
Fans: JohnnyBGoode (14), ordinaryperson (24), woodymac (87)
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

A little surprised Zombie didn't finish higher, maybe it just hasn't had as much chatter on this forum of late. BMAA effect wearing off.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Jirin wrote:A little surprised Zombie didn't finish higher, maybe it just hasn't had as much chatter on this forum of late. BMAA effect wearing off.
It may be the highest ranking song with 13 or fewer votes. Another victim of the way the scoring system favors songs with a high number of votes over those songs with a few very high placements.
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

[637] Aretha Franklin | Think
unparalleled interpretation

[583] Michael Jackson | Rock with You
[589] Michael Jackson | Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
[556] Michael Jackson | Human Nature
MJ is having a great performance, these 3 songs are my favorite of him.

[578] Bat for Lashes | Daniel
Daniel-san

[574] Bob Dylan | It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
The competition is too high to be a fan of this song
:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

[561] Pet Shop Boys | Being Boring
Along with "freedom '90" and "Vogue" are the best Pop/R&B songs of the '90s

[526] Kraftwerk | Trans-Europe Express
almost top 500

[544] Mobb Deep | Shook Ones (Part II)

I love these beats

[558] Nico | These Days
best composition of all

[557] Bonnie 'Prince' Billy | I See a Darkness
[371] Elliott Smith | Between the Bars
:romance-adore:

[530] New Order | Ceremony
maybe the best New Order song

[486] Bob Dylan | The Times They Are a-Changin'
the lyrics of this song is the meaning of life.

[436] Joni Mitchell | A Case of You
I drink just like Joni Mitchell but I prefer Vodka

[423] The Zombies | This Will Be Our Year
[421] The Beach Boys | Surf's Up

The demo versions of these songs are better than the album versions.
More are incredible songs.

[382] Madonna | Like a Virgin
Great collaboration Madonna + Nile.
much better than "Let's Dance"

[380] The Supremes | You Can't Hurry Love

In this edition they achieved the top 500.

[367] Big Star | Thirteen
my age

[349] George Michael | Careless Whisper
George Michael's other 3 songs on the list are better than CW.

[331] Blur | Girls & Boys
[323] Oasis | Champagne Supernova
Britpop's songs have greatly improved their performance in this edition.
I like it.

[308] Kanye West | All of the Lights
It's boring that only songs from "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" have entered the top 500.
Last edited by Elder on Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fetch the Bolt Cutters...
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jackson wrote:
Jirin wrote:A little surprised Zombie didn't finish higher, maybe it just hasn't had as much chatter on this forum of late. BMAA effect wearing off.
It may be the highest ranking song with 13 or fewer votes. Another victim of the way the scoring system favors songs with a high number of votes over those songs with a few very high placements.
I would not call it a "victim." The system should reward songs that are many lists. Even if a voter listed 1,000 songs, that's still a very small number of all songs out there. A song should not rank real high merely because 3 people have it in their top 10.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Elder wrote:[331] Blur | Girls & Boys
[323] Oasis | Champagne Supernova
Britpop's songs have greatly improved their performance in this edition.
I like it.
I am surprised.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Hymie wrote:
Jackson wrote:
I would not call it a "victim." The system should reward songs that are many lists. Even if a voter listed 1,000 songs, that's still a very small number of all songs out there. A song should not rank real high merely because 3 people have it in their top 10.
I would argue for a small number of very high votes counting more than a huge number of middling votes, personally, but we’ve had that discussion many times.

Just because I think “This is one of the greatest songs of all time” is a much, much stronger statement than “This is one of my favorite thousand songs”, and also leads to greater representation of the diversity of tastes.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jirin wrote: I would argue for a small number of very high votes counting more than a huge number of middling votes, personally, but we’ve had that discussion many times.

Just because I think “This is one of the greatest songs of all time” is a much, much stronger statement than “This is one of my favorite thousand songs”, and also leads to greater representation of the diversity of tastes.
One person's oddball taste should not have much of an effect on the results. It's much more impressive for 15 different people to have a song in their top 500 or 1000 than for one person to say that a song is in their top 10.

Here's some songs from my all time top 20 that would make the results if we did it your way.

6 ¦ Rub A Little Boogie ¦ Champion Jack Dupree
9 ¦ Midnight Cannonball ¦ Joe Turner
10 ¦ What About Your Daughter? ¦ J.B. Lenoir
11 ¦ Gumbo Blues ¦ Smiley Lewis
16 ¦ Head Happy With Wine ¦ Sticks McGhee
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

It's hard to come up with a good scoring system that shows a fair representation of how well a song is liked. I always gave preference to how many times a song was on a list rather than placings. I did this by allowing every song chosen bonus points so when the calculations where being done it weighed heavy when a song appeared on many lists as apposed to a song appearing high on a few lists. Finding a happy medium that we all can agree on is very hard.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Hymie wrote:
Jirin wrote: I would argue for a small number of very high votes counting more than a huge number of middling votes, personally, but we’ve had that discussion many times.

One person's oddball taste should not have much of an effect on the results. It's much more impressive for 15 different people to have a song in their top 500 or 1000 than for one person to say that a song is in their top 10.

Here's some songs from my all time top 20 that would make the results if we did it your way.

6 ¦ Rub A Little Boogie ¦ Champion Jack Dupree
9 ¦ Midnight Cannonball ¦ Joe Turner
10 ¦ What About Your Daughter? ¦ J.B. Lenoir
11 ¦ Gumbo Blues ¦ Smiley Lewis
16 ¦ Head Happy With Wine ¦ Sticks McGhee
I disagree with the classification of "Oddball taste", if somebody loves obscure songs, it doesn't make it "Oddball", it means you have different exposure and a different perspective. I don't need a list to tell me what songs everybody thinks are "Pretty good". And the songs that everybody places at the very top of their list win out either way.

And it's not one person's "Oddball taste", it's three different people who heard an obscure gem and thought it was one of the greatest of all time, and lots more people who put it on their list. A single top ten vote wouldn't put it high on the list no matter what the rules are.

What do you hope to get for this list? Do you want to discover new songs that could become your next all time favorite? Or do you just want to affirm what you already know?? How big an advantage to you want a song's marketing to have? If fewer people have heard a song, it doesn't mean it's less worthy to be considered great, it just means less money was put into marketing it.

And yes, if three or four other people also agree Rub A LIttle Boogie is one of the greatest songs ever, it absolutely does belong high on the list.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

As the host, allow me to pipe in on this discussion: for this poll specifically, I pretty much went straight for a "more is better" approach. As I discovered more and more music, I felt as if the top 1000 from the last poll didn't feel like enough... At the same time, so many forumers seemed to be able to make personal top 1000s lists with confidence (and some FAR beyond that). By expanding the individual lists to 1000, it would guarantee a solid top 2000 results, but it would also put everyone's hard work on longer lists to good use. I was following the principle that even being in someone's top 1000 at all is highly significant, and a using a steeper formula would make that sort of pointless, if the entire lower half of someone's list is statistical noise. Plus, I feel like the results are about as "accurate" as possible, and a song appearing on many people's lists gives a good impression that it is indicative of the forum's overall taste.

Of course, this entire poll is founded on the basis of quantizing opinions that weren't necessarily meant to be quantized in the first place. It is likely that "#1000 song of all time" means different things to everyone here. But of course, each individual list has to be considered the same way when calculating the results. I understand Jirin's point of view about needing to highlight lesser known songs, but since this is literally a popularity poll, I felt confident in sacrificing that function, even if I knew others would be upset about it. Besides, the individual lists aren't hidden, and most of the "victims" of the formula can be found in people's lists without having to dig too deep. Plus, there are many songs on only one person's list that almost no one else notices, so that's probably the best start if you really want to deeply explore. When I post the spreadsheet, people can take the data and manipulate it however they want.

Of course, this is just my decision, and it does not necessarily have to serve as a guideline for future polls.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jirin wrote: I don't need a list to tell me what songs everybody thinks are "Pretty good".
I don't know about you, but in my top 1000 every song is at least great. The top 450 or so are tens ("Incredibly Awesome" in my scale) and the rest are nines ("Great" in my scale).

Songs that are just "pretty good" are fives in my scale, and would not even make my top 20,000.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jirin wrote:
And yes, if three or four other people also agree "Rub A LIttle Boogie" is one of the greatest songs ever, it absolutely does belong high on the list.
No way!

There are like 60 people voting on this. If that song is only on 3 lists it should not make the results at all, even if it is # 1 on all 3 lists.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Fair enough, I see quality of songs as more like a gaussian distribution. Where the best 10 songs are a measure better than the next 50, which are a measure better than the next 200, which are a measure better than the next 1000, etc. Even if rating on a standard 0-10 scale I'd give most of them 10s, because you need room on the 0-10 scale for the terrible to mediocre. I think the big leap at the very top is the most meaningful, and I think there's a strong argument for counteracting exposure bias. (You're voting against every song you never heard). We can agree to disagree.

If only three people heard a song and they ALL think it's the greatest song of all time, yeah I think it belongs high on the list. It's not the song's fault nobody else has heard it. If a surprise like that shows up, other people will listen to it as a result. Isn't that one of the major points of doing the list?

It will be interesting to see an Excel spreadsheet after so people can experiment with how it would change the ratings with different point systems.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote: I was following the principle that even being in someone's top 1000 at all is highly significant
Absolutely it is. There are many great songs that did not make my top 1000.

I use this scale to rate songs.

10 - Incredibly Awesome
9 - Great
8 - Excellent
7 - Very Good
6 - Good
5 - Pretty Good
4 - Okay
3 - Not Very Good
2 - Bad
1 - Terrible
0 - Unbelievably Horrible

Here's an approximate total of how many songs I have in my MP3 library at each rating

10 - 450
9 - 900
8 - 2400
7 - 5300
6 - 10,600

I have lots of 5's too, but I don't necessarily put things in the library that are below a 6.
Last edited by Hymie on Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jirin wrote:If only three people heard a song and they ALL think it's the greatest song of all time, yeah I think it belongs high on the list. It's not the song's fault nobody else has heard it.
It would not be that the song was only heard by 3 people. It would be that those 3 people have a totally different idea of what makes a song great than most people here do. I could easily bring 2 other people here who would both list "Rub A Little Boogie" among their 20 favorites of all time. It's a huge record among Beach Music fans in the Carolinas.

Personally I can't stand 95% of all music from the past 30 years or so, including loads of what made this list that Ron is counting down. To my ears acts like Radiohead and Bjork are fucking putrid noise. But I don't control what makes this list. I just have a small input that maybe brings a few songs higher than they would have been. And the fact that me or any other voter hates a particular song has not effect on the list either. Suppose 5 people have a song in their top 5 of all time, but everybody else here thinks that the song is total shit. That song should not make the results.

The real accurate way to do this is for each voter to rate every song from 0 to 10 and then total them up. That way if a voter thinks that a particular song is awful it is reflected in the results. The problem with that is that nobody is familiar enough with every song to be able to rate them all.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Jirin wrote:
It will be interesting to see an Excel spreadsheet after so people can experiment with how it would change the ratings with different point systems.
Am I the only one who don't care at all of the ranking? :mrgreen:

I'm here just to see if new songs appears and listen to them.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sweeptakes Ron, I like the way you have set up this is poll. Keep up the good work!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Henrik wrote:Sweeptakes Ron, I like the way you have set up this is poll. Keep up the good work!
Romain wrote:
Agree with both of these assessments. Let's keep it rolling baby.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Henrik wrote:Sweeptakes Ron, I like the way you have set up this is poll. Keep up the good work!
Seconded. Ron is doing a great job and doing a ton of work to present the results to us.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Romain wrote:
Since almost every song in the results is also listed here at AM it's not really a good way to discover new songs. I suggest going through the ballots that were posted in the other thread if you want to check out some songs that you may not know.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Hymie wrote:
Romain wrote:
Since almost every song in the results is also listed here at AM it's not really a good way to discover new songs. I suggest going through the ballots that were posted in the other thread if you want to check out some songs that you may not know.
Better yet, look at the spread sheet used to generate the poll results, when (hopefully) Sweepstakes Ron decides to let the rest of us see it.

A few polls back, someone took the time to determine which participants aligned most closely with each other. I find that there are some participants who have similar tastes and their hidden gems are much more likely to appeal to me than hidden gems selected by others who have divergent tastes (e.g., they love sustained dissonance in Velvet Underground songs).
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

it would be interesting a formula that musics with only 10 votes occupy 100/150 positions ahead, surpassing songs with 20 votes in lower positions in the individual lists:
[436] Joni Mitchell | A Case of You
[423] The Zombies | This Will Be Our Year
[421] The Beach Boys | Surf's Up
[394] Robert Wyatt | Sea Song
But songs with 3 votes overcoming songs 20 votes is an exaggeration. After all it is a popularity survey.

I do not think there would be so many obscure or unknown songs, only less popular songs from famous bands like R.E.M. , Radiohead, Pavement ... (Except for the sonofsamiam list, of course).

and Sweepstakes Ron is right, it does not make sense to make lists with 1000 songs, where placements (501-1000) do not interfere with the official list.

It does not make sense this discussion now with 2018 list in progress.
It remains to honor Ron's work.
Fetch the Bolt Cutters...
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I just wanna see more of the list
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Yeah, let's keep it moving.

I think for most people the difference between the worst 10 and the best 10 is bigger than the differences in the rest of the list. People put their floor for '10' somewhere and then you lose all the distinction between the rest, even though the difference is huge. But to me, that difference is the most important thing in those lists. Not the 500 you'd rate 10, but the 50 you'd rate 11 and 10 you'd rate 12 if you had the chance.

I'm glad there are no negative votes on these kinds of lists, because then there'd be all kind of strategic voting to increase the leverage of your vote and even more punishment votes, and some genres and years would have major advantages. The only fair way to have some kind of average system is to normalize every person's vote to their statistically predicted vote for a song of a given genre for a given year.

If you asked me to rank where songs belong on the list based on the taste distribution, I'd say this:
1) Everybody loves
2) Some love, some hate
3) Everybody likes
4) Mostly middling
5) Everybody hates

These lists, in my opinion, should bubble up the best of every niche, not automatically put the great songs in the most popular genre at the top.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Jirin wrote: If you asked me to rank where songs belong on the list based on the taste distribution, I'd say this:
1) Everybody loves
2) Some love, some hate
3) Everybody likes
I'd reverse 2 and 3.

But I love every record in my top 1,000.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Before she gets to saying goodbye, she ought to think twice, she ought to do right by me
[300] The Beatles | Ticket to Ride
[661.56 pts / 18 votes]
AM rank: 321
2015 AMF Rank: 387
Fans: Sweepstakes Ron (35), FrankLotion (81), andyd1010 (99)
You choose your leaders and place your trust as their lies puts you down and their promises rust
[299] The Jam | Going Underground
[662.68 pts / 17 votes]
AM rank: 327
2015 AMF Rank: 202
Fans: Otisredding (5), BleuPanda (41), Sweepstakes Ron (75)
This way is a water slide away from me that takes you further every day
[298] Weezer | Say It Ain't So
[665.89 pts / 22 votes]
AM rank: 812
2015 AMF Rank: 896
Fans: andyd1010 (45)
You can't start a fire worrying about your little world falling apart
[297] Bruce Springsteen | Dancing in the Dark
[665.97 pts / 21 votes]
AM rank: 805
2015 AMF Rank: 858
Fans: Live in Phoenix (32), gabebasso (56), frezzie (91)
Well some things you can explain away, but the heartache's in me 'til this day
[296] The Clash | Train in Vain
[667.11 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 696
2015 AMF Rank: 335
Fans: Jackson (33), Sweepstakes Ron (84)
Stealing past the windows of the blissfully dead, looking for the victim shivering in bed
[295] The Cure | Lullaby
[669.30 pts / 16 votes]
AM rank: 1741
2015 AMF Rank: 207
Fans: Henrik (21), Nassim (30), Styrofoam Boots (32)
Beside defyin' media too fast, instead of pushin' palaces to fall
[294] R.E.M. | Radio Free Europe
[669.69 pts / 22 votes]
AM rank: 306
2015 AMF Rank: 331
Fans: Styrofoam Boots (79)
Take a load off Fanny, and you put the load right on me
[293] The Band | The Weight
[670.20 pts / 19 votes]
AM rank: 89
2015 AMF Rank: 107
Fans: StevieFan13 (51), Henry (76), Rob (76)
I'm a shooting star leaping through the sky like a tiger defying the laws of gravity
[292] Queen | Don't Stop Me Now
[670.26 pts / 16 votes]
AM rank: 3243
2015 AMF Rank: 363
Fans: Listyguy (14), Nassim (18), Wezzo (20)
Whenever I'm alone with you, you make me feel like I am clean again
[291] The Cure | Lovesong
[670.57 pts / 18 votes]
AM rank: 1466
2015 AMF Rank: 357
Fans: Moonbeam (5), fasbjd (22), Listyguy (25)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Turning back she just laughs, the boulevard is not that bad
[290] Elton John | Tiny Dancer
[672.36 pts / 18 votes]
AM rank: 716
2015 AMF Rank: 370
Fans: Henry (16), Red Ant (62), Sweepstakes Ron (77)
I can't help it, I can't help it, if I cry – I remember that you said goodbye
[289] Roy Orbison | In Dreams
[672.84 pts / 15 votes]
AM rank: 824
2015 AMF Rank: 119
Fans: Dan (3), Otisredding (4), Jackson (29)
Listen to the girl, as she takes on half the world
[288] The Jesus and Mary Chain | Just Like Honey
[674.03 pts / 18 votes]
AM rank: 343
2015 AMF Rank: 550
Fans: Neil (2), BleuPanda (48), Otisredding (61)
You never been on a ride like this befo', with a producer who can rap and control the maestro at the same time with the dope rhyme that I kick, you know and I know, I flow some old funky shit
[287] Dr. Dre | Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang
[674.46 pts / 19 votes]
AM rank: 199
2015 AMF Rank: 410
Fans: bootsy (46), Emerald (75)
Et quand ils ont bien bu, se plantent le nez au ciel, se mouchent dans les étoiles, et ils pissent comme je pleure sur les femmes infidèles
[286] Jacques Brel | Amsterdam
[674.51 pts / 13 votes]
AM rank: 2841
2015 AMF Rank: 121
Fans: nicolas (7), Romain (16), Gillingham (51)
Only shadows ahead, barely clearing the roof, get to know the feeling of liberation and release
[285] Crowded House | Don't Dream It's Over
[678.28 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 838
2015 AMF Rank: unranked
Fans: JohnnyBGoode (5), woodymac (7)
Without a sound, yeah, you're calling me and I don't think it's very fair
[284] Arctic Monkeys | I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor
[678.43 pts / 18 votes]
AM rank: 148
2015 AMF Rank: 529
Fans: slick (20), StevieFan13 (27), BleuPanda (45)
Don't get sentimental, it always ends up drivel
[283] Radiohead | Let Down
[679.09 pts / 17 votes]
AM rank: 1378
2015 AMF Rank: 330
Fans: Dan (21), Styrofoam Boots (23), BleuPanda (55)
When you say 'I do', oh, I don't believe you
[282] My Bloody Valentine | When You Sleep
[679.24 pts / 13 votes]
AM rank: 3616
Fans: Setherex (3), Styrofoam Boots (11), Jap123 (14)
So I go shuffling out of life, just to hide in death awhile
[281] Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds | The Mercy Seat
[679.79 pts / 16 votes]
AM rank: 673
2015 AMF Rank: 271
Fans: rumpdoll (8), ordinaryperson (33), Jap123 (58), Otisredding (58)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, sounding heartbeats, intimidation
[280] Michael Jackson | Smooth Criminal
[679.91 pts / 19 votes]
AM rank: 2042
2015 AMF Rank: 998
Fans: Renan (19), bootsy (67)
There's battle lines being drawn, nobody's right if everybody's wrong
[279] Buffalo Springfield | For What It's Worth
[680.09 pts / 24 votes]
AM rank: 83
2015 AMF Rank: 232
Fans: Emerald (53), andyd1010 (92)
When it all was over, we had to find another place, but Swiss time was running out, it seemed that we would lose the race
[278] Deep Purple | Smoke on the Water
[680.11 pts / 16 votes]
AM rank: 171
2015 AMF Rank: 369
Fans: Red Ant (8), kaue (40), Whuntva (63)
*wowwwwww waw waw waw weeowwwwwww wow waw waw wowwwwwwww wow waw waw wowwwwwwww waw waw*
[277] Daft Punk | Da Funk
[680.50 pts / 21 votes]
AM rank: 277
2015 AMF Rank: 441
Fans: fasbjd (31), Styrofoam Boots (31), BleuPanda (62)
If we could take the time to lay it on the line, I could rest my head, just knowin' that you were mine
[276] Guns N' Roses | November Rain
[681.22 pts / 14 votes]
AM rank: 837
2015 AMF Rank: 406
Fans: Live in Phoenix (6), Karla (21), profeta (33)
Out on the road today, I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac
[275] Don Henley | The Boys of Summer
[681.38 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 591
2015 AMF Rank: 355
Fans: Listyguy (47), Emerald (80), JohnnyBGoode (98)
Calling out around the world, are you ready for a brand new beat
[274] Martha and the Vandellas | Dancing in the Street
[682.97 pts / 21 votes]
AM rank: 87
2015 AMF Rank: 175
Fans: Otisredding (19), Dan (27)
You spurn my natural emotions, you make me feel I'm dirt and I'm hurt
[273] Buzzcocks | Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've)
[684.83 pts / 21 votes]
AM rank: 210
2015 AMF Rank: 250
Fans: Emerald (45), Otisredding (59), Setherex (99)
I went to a whore, he said my life's a bore, so quit my whining 'cause it's bringing her down
[272] Green Day | Basket Case
[687.19 pts / 22 votes]
AM rank: 732
2015 AMF Rank: 912
Fans: Karla (55), StevieFan13 (69), BryanBehar (86)
You won't regret it, no, no, some girls they don't forget it, love is their only happiness, yeah
[271] Otis Redding | Try a Little Tenderness
[687.48 pts / 19 votes]
AM rank: 247
2015 AMF Rank: 422
Fans: Neil (28), fasbjd (41), PlasticRam (45)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Great final placing for Basket Case! Big leap from last time.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

A little dissapointed that some people are not interested in obscure songs that are part of the list.
Safetycat
Feeling Good

Post by Safetycat »

Only shadows ahead, barely clearing the roof, get to know the feeling of liberation and release
[285] Crowded House | Don't Dream It's Over
[678.28 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 838
Fans: JohnnyBGoode (5), woodymac (7)
Finally, I was starting to get worried CH wouldn't show up again. If I'd made a list, this song would have been even higher.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

You know the door to my very soul
[270] Bee Gees | How Deep Is Your Love
[689.13 pts / 14 votes]
AM rank: 1564
2015 AMF Rank: 259
Fans: Renan (12), profeta (19), Listyguy (37)
Pulsing through my vein
[269] The La's | There She Goes
[691.00 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 167
2015 AMF Rank: 307
Fans: Elder (14), slick (32), Jap123 (64), BryanBehar (64)
It's got what it takes to make a mountain man leave his home
[268] Led Zeppelin | When the Levee Breaks
[691.78 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 648
2015 AMF Rank: 457
Fans: Listyguy (27), slick (50), Fred (59)
I'm a path of cinders burning under your feet
[267] Björk | Bachelorette
[693.08 pts / 15 votes]
AM rank: 2350
2015 AMF Rank: 128
Fans: Dan (26), DaveC (29), Moonbeam (46)
If you grew up with holes in your zapatos, you'd celebrate the minute you was havin' dough
[266] Jay-Z | 99 Problems
[698.46 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 90
2015 AMF Rank: 245
Fans: Dan (51), FrankLotion (54), Nick (63)
If you fall, I will catch you, I'll be waiting
[265] Cyndi Lauper | Time After Time
[699.30 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 606
2015 AMF Rank: 351
Fans: acroamor (18), Neil (29), Sweepstakes Ron (60)
She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh, I told her I didn't and crawled off to sleep in the bath
[264] The Beatles | Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
[699.82 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 391
2015 AMF Rank: 143
Fans: Jirin (30), Brad (49), nicolas (70)
Drums beating, cold English blood runs hot
[263] The Rolling Stones | Brown Sugar
[700.27 pts / 23 votes]
AM rank: 138
2015 AMF Rank: 472
Fans: Red Ant (76)
Love of two is one
[262] Blue Öyster Cult | (Don't Fear) The Reaper
[702.11 pts / 21 votes]
AM rank: 162
2015 AMF Rank: 583
Fans: Jap123 (24), Zombeels (32), Jackson (64)
You say you're going to leave, you know it's a lie
[261] The Crickets | That'll Be the Day
[703.61 pts / 19 votes]
AM rank: 61
2015 AMF Rank: 310
Fans: BleuPanda (19), Hymie (40), fasbjd (47)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Solar radiation in the dead of night, love in the middle of a fire fight
[260] The Stooges | Search and Destroy
[706.58 pts / 19 votes]
AM rank: 180
2015 AMF Rank: 183
Fans: Nassim (16), Jirin (50), Live in Phoenix (76)
ARCH STANTON
3 FEBRUARY 1862

UNKNOWN
[259] Ennio Morricone | The Ecstasy of Gold
[709.40 pts / 17 votes]
AM rank: 9500
2015 AMF Rank: 221
Fans: Rob (13), Romain (17), Jackson (21)
They are spoon feeding Casanova to get him to feel more assured, then they'll kill him with self-confidence after poisoning him with words
[258] Bob Dylan | Desolation Row
[710.09 pts / 19 votes]
AM rank: 495
2015 AMF Rank: 346
Fans: Rob (16), Fred (19), Jap123 (21)
Faith has been broken tears must be cried, let's do some living after we die
[257] The Rolling Stones | Wild Horses
[710.49 pts / 21 votes]
AM rank: 330
2015 AMF Rank: 213
Fans: Jirin (2), gabebasso (53), acroamor (60)
I won't harm you or touch your defenses, vanity and security
[256] Simple Minds | Don't You (Forget About Me)
[710.53 pts / 23 votes]
AM rank: 882
2015 AMF Rank: 287
Fans: Live in Phoenix (5), ordinaryperson (38), Whuntva (80)
You pick the insects off plants, no time to think of consequences
[255] MGMT | Kids
[714.48 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 145
2015 AMF Rank: 336
Fans: slick (4), Romain (48), JohnnyBGoode (95)
I ain't got seventy days
[254] Amy Winehouse | Rehab
[714.51 pts / 21 votes]
AM rank: 125
2015 AMF Rank: 528
Fans: Elder (27), Dan (41)
When I get to bed late at night, that's the time she makes things right
[253] Big Star | September Gurls
[714.95 pts / 19 votes]
AM rank: 446
2015 AMF Rank: 278
Fans: Jap123 (1), Neil (21), Nick (91)
Open my heart and let it bleed onto yours
[252] TV on the Radio | Wolf Like Me
[718.62 pts / 22 votes]
AM rank: 457
2015 AMF Rank: 159
Fans: Jackson (12), Jap123 (33), BleuPanda (94)
If you want it you're going to bleed, but it's the price you pay
[251] Guns N' Roses | Welcome to the Jungle
[720.66 pts / 17 votes]
AM rank: 339
2015 AMF Rank: 614
Fans: Live in Phoenix (13), prosecutorgodot (18), Renan (96)
Last edited by Sweepstakes Ron on Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

And we have another #1 pick! Jap123 liked September Gurls enough for it to top their list.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Awesome to see Amsterdam finish so high.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips
[250] The Righteous Brothers | You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
[721.61 pts / 18 votes]
AM rank: 60
2015 AMF Rank: 238
Fans: StevieFan13 (47), Bruno (51), andyd1010 (74)
He took it all too far, but boy could he play guitar
[249] David Bowie | Ziggy Stardust
[721.93 pts / 25 votes]
AM rank: 193
2015 AMF Rank: 255
Fans: Red Ant (7), gabebasso (63)
In every city you find the same thing going down, Harlem is the capital of every ghetto town
[248] Bobby Womack | Across 110th Street
[724.57 pts / 17 votes]
AM rank: 1814
2015 AMF Rank: 258
Fans: JohnnyBGoode (6), Emerald (14), Henrik (25)
You're a nut! You're crazy in the coconut!
[247] The Avalanches | Frontier Psychiatrist
[724.90 pts / 15 votes]
AM rank: 1396
2015 AMF Rank: 85
Fans: Gillingham (6), Nassim (22), Jackson (35)
Am I a part of the cure? Or am I part of the disease?
[246] Coldplay | Clocks
[725.30 pts / 22 votes]
AM rank: 639
2015 AMF Rank: 344
Fans: Whuntva (12), prosecutorgodot (17), andyd1010 (52)
Say after me, it's no better to be safe than sorry
[245] A-ha | Take On Me
[725.97 pts / 21 votes]
AM rank: 562
2015 AMF Rank: 695
Fans: kaue (68), Renan (87), profeta (98)
Let's cut a rug, a little jive and jitterbug, we want the best, we won't settle for less
[244] Chic | Good Times
[726.30 pts / 22 votes]
AM rank: 110
2015 AMF Rank: 654
Fans: damosuzuki (35), Emerald (46), panam (50)
Got treasures in my mind but couldn't open up my own vault
[243] Kanye West | Power
[729.71 pts / 17 votes]
AM rank: 1360
2015 AMF Rank: 226
Fans: gabebasso (24), Sweepstakes Ron (53), Dan (67)
Well, the hurt doesn't show, but the pain still grows, it's no stranger to you or me
[242] Phil Collins | In the Air Tonight
[732.15 pts / 18 votes]
AM rank: 496
2015 AMF Rank: 634
Fans: Live in Phoenix (29), Renan (33), Rob (94)
These boots were made for walking, the Marquis de Sade don't wear no boots like these
[241] The Stone Roses | Fools Gold
[733.56 pts / 19 votes]
AM rank: 292
2015 AMF Rank: 178
Fans: Whuntva (17), fasbjd (26), BleuPanda (33)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

We don't need no thought control
[240] Pink Floyd | Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)
[734.75 pts / 22 votes]
AM rank: 407
2015 AMF Rank: 296
Fans: profeta (50), Bruno (70), Styrofoam Boots (80)
For you, I know I'd even try to turn the tide
[239] Johnny Cash | I Walk the Line
[735.35 pts / 23 votes]
AM rank: 158
2015 AMF Rank: 177
Fans: Whuntva (65), Dexter (88)
I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know
[238] LCD Soundsystem | Losing My Edge
[738.03 pts / 17 votes]
AM rank: 115
2015 AMF Rank: 253
Fans: BleuPanda (10), Gillingham (14), Elder (17)
*the bass line has the melody here*
[237] Miles Davis | So What
[740.93 pts / 17 votes]
AM rank: 729
2015 AMF Rank: 217
Fans: fasbjd (8), Otisredding (27), Dexter (34)
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand
[236] Stevie Wonder | Sir Duke
[742.94 pts / 18 votes]
AM rank: 1035
2015 AMF Rank: 490
Fans: bonnielaurel (3), bootsy (23), nicolas (64)
I'm never going to know you now, but I'm going to love you anyhow
[235] Elliott Smith | Waltz #2 (XO)
[745.54 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 924
2015 AMF Rank: 222
Fans: Nassim (1), JohnnyBGoode (8)
Vincent: And you know what they call a... a... a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
Jules: They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with cheese?
Vincent: No man, they got the metric system. They wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.
Jules: Then what do they call it?
Vincent: They call it a Royale with cheese.
Jules: A Royale with cheese. What do they call a Big Mac?
Vincent: Well, a Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it le Big-Mac.
Jules: Le Big-Mac. Ha ha ha ha. What do they call a Whopper?
Vincent: I dunno, I didn't go into Burger King.
[234] Dick Dale | Misirlou
[746.60 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 1884
2015 AMF Rank: 188
Fans: Gillingham (17), Henrik (30), panam (34)
You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows
[233] Bob Dylan | Subterranean Homesick Blues
[748.26 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 197
2015 AMF Rank: 87
Fans: Jirin (3), Rob (25), bootsy (39)
You know I can't believe it when I hear that you won't see me
[232] The Human League | Don't You Want Me
[749.75 pts / 22 votes]
AM rank: 252
2015 AMF Rank: 321
Fans: Otisredding (14), Neil (79), Dan (86)
I loved you, Slim, we coulda been together — think about it! You ruined it now, I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it, and when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you scream about it; I hope your conscience eats at you and you can't breathe without me
[231] Eminem | Stan
[749.77 pts / 21 votes]
AM rank: 270
2015 AMF Rank: 322
Fans: Henrik (39), bootsy (43), kaue (54)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

I need excitement, oh I need it bad, and it's the best I've ever had
[230] The Undertones | Teenage Kicks
[750.48 pts / 17 votes]
AM rank: 161
2015 AMF Rank: 214
Fans: damosuzuki (1), Jackson (8), BryanBehar (68)
All my past and futures, and we all went to heaven in a little row boat
[229] Radiohead | Pyramid Song
[753.03 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 762
2015 AMF Rank: 352
Fans: sonofsamiam (12), Krurze (57), gabebasso (68)
Ten days of perfect tunes, the colors red and blue, we had a promise made, we were in love
[228] The Knife | Heartbeats
[758.24 pts / 21 votes]
AM rank: 366
2015 AMF Rank: 113
Fans: BleuPanda (11), Jackson (30), Sweepstakes Ron (39)
Such a funny thing for me to try to explain, how I'm feeling and my pride is the one to blame
[227] Beyoncé | Crazy in Love
[758.95 pts / 18 votes]
AM rank: 46
2015 AMF Rank: 334
Fans: JohnnyBGoode (37), Nick (46), Dan (46)
War is all around us, my mind says prepare to fight, so if I gotta die I'm gonna listen to my body tonight
[226] Prince | 1999
[761.72 pts / 22 votes]
AM rank: 393
2015 AMF Rank: 309
Fans: Moonbeam (4), Sweepstakes Ron (17), Romain (27)
The girl was never there, it's always the same, I'm running towards nothing, again and again and again and again
[225] The Cure | A Forest
[765.41 pts / 23 votes]
AM rank: 662
2015 AMF Rank: 343
Fans: Moonbeam (18), Gillingham (26), Nassim (73)
I guess I should've closed my eyes when you drove me to the place where your horses run free, cuz I felt a little ill when I saw all the pictures of the jockeys that were there before me
[224] Prince | Little Red Corvette
[765.54 pts / 23 votes]
AM rank: 181
2015 AMF Rank: 347
Fans: damosuzuki (5), Sweepstakes Ron (51), Live in Phoenix (97)
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds
[223] Bob Marley and the Wailers | Redemption Song
[766.23 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 488
2015 AMF Rank: 186
Fans: FrankLotion (10), Otisredding (71), DaveC (89)
Feeling sick and dirty, more dead than alive
[222] The Velvet Underground | I'm Waiting for the Man
[768.89 pts / 27 votes]
AM rank: 78
2015 AMF Rank: 209
Fans: antonius (24)
A four of fish and finger pies
[221] The Beatles | Penny Lane
[772.32 pts / 24 votes]
AM rank: 202
2015 AMF Rank: 93
Fans: Sweepstakes Ron (48), PlasticRam (70)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

I can't sleep cause my bed's on fire, don't touch me, I'm a real live wire
[220] Talking Heads | Psycho Killer
[774.79 pts / 21 votes]
AM rank: 143
2015 AMF Rank: 251
Fans: fasbjd (21), frezzie (58), Styrofoam Boots (71)
And if the ground's not cold, everything is gonna burn, we'll all take turns, I'll get mine too
[219] Pixies | Monkey Gone to Heaven
[776.07 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 322
2015 AMF Rank: 106
Fans: Emerald (15), JohnnyBGoode (27), DaveC (30)
Bands won't play no more, too much fighting on the dance floor
[218] The Specials | Ghost Town
[776.14 pts / 24 votes]
AM rank: 88
2015 AMF Rank: 155
Fans: Henrik (40), Romain (66), Emerald (66)
There's no hangman going to, he ain't gonna put a rope around me
[217] The Jimi Hendrix Experience | Hey Joe
[776.28 pts / 25 votes]
AM rank: 231
2015 AMF Rank: 233
Fans: Romain (35), frezzie (54), gabebasso (86)
Little darling, it seems like years since it's been clear
[216] The Beatles | Here Comes the Sun
[777.07 pts / 19 votes]
AM rank: 559
2015 AMF Rank: 160
Fans: Sweepstakes Ron (5), Wezzo (8), Listyguy (43)
Strobe lights and blown speakers, fireworks and hurricanes
[215] Radiohead | How to Disappear Completely
[778.78 pts / 16 votes]
AM rank: 2190
2015 AMF Rank: 605
Fans: Setherex (13), rumpdoll (15), Depeche Mode (25)
You can't get right if you can't relate, trade the cash for the beat for the body for the hate
[214] Beck | Loser
[780.44 pts / 24 votes]
AM rank: 59
2015 AMF Rank: 88
Fans: BleuPanda (50), bootsy (50), StevieFan13 (62)
Remember your dream is your only scheme, so keep on pushin'
[213] Curtis Mayfield | Move On Up
[781.11 pts / 24 votes]
AM rank: 348
2015 AMF Rank: 292
Fans: Gillingham (15), nicolas (68), Jackson (82)
Why don't you play the game?
[212] Daft Punk | Digital Love
[781.25 pts / 21 votes]
AM rank: 714
2015 AMF Rank: 362
Fans: Styrofoam Boots (6), Emerald (48), Nick (67)
Can't think of anything to do, yeah, my left brain knows that all love is fleeting
[211] The White Stripes | Fell in Love with a Girl
[782.45 pts / 26 votes]
AM rank: 288
2015 AMF Rank: 167
Fans: slick (24), Styrofoam Boots (58), Emerald (82)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

I imagine what my body would sound like slamming against those rocks; and when it lands, will my eyes be closed or open?
[210] Björk | Hyperballad
[787.22 pts / 19 votes]
AM rank: 814
2015 AMF Rank: 297
Fans: ordinaryperson (21), frezzie (45), bonnielaurel (62)
Hold you in his armchair, you can feel his disease
[209] The Beatles | Come Together
[793.98 pts / 20 votes]
AM rank: 317
2015 AMF Rank: 147
Fans: Sweepstakes Ron (13), StevieFan13 (32), Whuntva (41)
Happy times together we've been spending, I wish that every kiss was neverending
[208] The Beach Boys | Wouldn't It Be Nice
[794.28 pts / 22 votes]
AM rank: 951
2015 AMF Rank: 174
Fans: Wezzo (7), Emerald (12), acroamor (75)
Intangible, bet you didn't think, so I command you to, panoramic view, look, I'll make it all manageable
[207] Gorillaz | Clint Eastwood
[796.05 pts / 24 votes]
AM rank: 470
2015 AMF Rank: 377
Fans: Romain (61), Renan (62), Jackson (68)
What's your name? Who's your daddy? Is he rich like me?
[206] The Zombies | Time of the Season
[797.51 pts / 26 votes]
AM rank: 761
2015 AMF Rank: 235
Fans: PlasticRam (14), Listyguy (51), panam (55)
One of sixteen vestal virgins who were leaving for the coast, and although my eyes were open, they might have just as well've been closed
[205] Procol Harum | A Whiter Shade of Pale
[801.03 pts / 24 votes]
AM rank: 113
2015 AMF Rank: 149
Fans: DaveC (8), Bruno (98), frezzie (99)
Outside I'm masquerading, inside my hope is fading
[204] Smokey Robinson and the Miracles | The Tracks of My Tears
[801.10 pts / 22 votes]
AM rank: 95
2015 AMF Rank: 137
Fans: Red Ant (23), PlasticRam (46), Bruno (72)
Standing in the sunlight laughing, hiding behind a rainbow's wall, slipping and sliding, all along the waterfall, with you
[203] Van Morrison | Brown Eyed Girl
[802.35 pts / 24 votes]
AM rank: 183
2015 AMF Rank: 105
Fans: Otisredding (45), andyd1010 (47)
I was crowned with a spike right thru my head
[202] The Rolling Stones | Jumpin' Jack Flash
[803.79 pts / 21 votes]
AM rank: 56
2015 AMF Rank: 256
Fans: Krurze (25), Red Ant (55)
Music's got me feeling so free
[201] Daft Punk | One More Time
[808.72 pts / 22 votes]
AM rank: 283
2015 AMF Rank: 131
Fans: bootsy (31), Nick (64), Styrofoam Boots (90)
styrofoamboots
Wannabe

Post by styrofoamboots »

Great rollout so far, can't wait for the top 200!
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Top 200 will be amazing.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Will there be anything in the top 200 that's not in the AM Top 1000?
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Hymie wrote:Will there be anything in the top 200 that's not in the AM Top 1000?
Yes, a few!
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Hymie wrote:Will there be anything in the top 200 that's not in the AM Top 1000?
Yes, a few!
Let me guess : some Queen and Jackson songs.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Romain wrote:
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Yes, a few!
I'm going to guess some of the songs from the 50s. They always underperform their AM ranks in these polls.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Listyguy wrote:
Romain wrote:
Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Yes, a few!
I'm going to guess some of the songs from the 50s. They always underperform their AM ranks in these polls.
Pretty sure that's the opposite of what he's asking... but that is true.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Listyguy wrote: I'm going to guess some of the songs from the 50s. They always underperform their AM ranks in these polls.
That's because you young guys don't get the 50s.

But you've got the opposite idea here. I asked about songs that are overperforming their AM rankings by a lot.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Sinnerman.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”