R.I.P. Rachid Taha (1958-2018)

Pierre
Into the Groove

R.I.P. Rachid Taha (1958-2018)

Post by Pierre »

Libération wrote: We learned on Wednesday about the death of Algerian musician, who lived in France, Rachid Taha on Tuesday. Taha died of heart failure, in the Paris region, according to Le Parisien. Pioneer of alternative rock and the fusion of popular music styles, whether Western, Middle Eastern and North-African, this eternal outsider of the French scene was known for refusing to be tagged with a particular style and his burning temperament.[...] Rachid Taha was 59.
Here below a few famous songs.

Douce France (with Carte de Séjour) (1986)
Barbès (1991)
Voilà voilà (1993)
Ya Rayah (1993)
Comme d'habitude (with 1, 2, 3 Soleil) (1999)
Barra barra (2000)
Rock El Casbah (2004)
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: R.I.P. Rachid Taha (1958-2018)

Post by StevieFan13 »

All I know is his Rock the Casbah cover but I love it dearly. RIP.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Honorio
Higher Ground

Re: R.I.P. Rachid Taha (1958-2018)

Post by Honorio »

A sad loss indeed. My favourite album by him is his back-to-the-roots album "Diwân" (1998) and my favourite song is "Ya Rayah" (1993). Some comments about the song I wrote back in 2012 for our fantastic first Foreign World Cup Poll: "The fabulous "Ya Rayah" is my candidate for winning the game (or at least the North African part). The song was written by Dahmane El Harrachi about the drama of the Diaspora of many Muslim countries (common with almost every other African country) but Rachid Taha elevated it to the category of hymn. The hypnotic groove, the great oud part (counterpointed by the strings), the lyrics (I'll try to translate it from the Spanish translation: "You, emigrant, where are you going? / You'll get tired and you'll come back / Many more regret it before you and me" (as you can see the two big dramas of Muslim countries, women's rights* and the Diaspora mark many lyrical themes). And we have the rock'n'roll star attitude of Rachid Taha, so unusual in these countries. As bonus links, the original video clip, a live version with English subtitles and a live version from the great 1998 live album 1, 2, 3 soleils that teamed the past (Khaled), present (Taha) and future (Faudel) of raï music". Rest in peace, Rachid.

* the comment about women's rights was aimed at Khaled's "Aicha" that was also featured that week on the poll, another excellent raï song in which Aicha rejects the gold and treasures that her pretender offers to her and ask instead for "les mêmes droits que toi" ("the same rights as you").

Excellent selection of songs, Pierre!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”