Re: EOY Albums Spreadsheet - Updates

Post by cartoken »

YES ! The Seer #7, that made my day !!
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with:

Rest of the World: Recorder [Hungary], Telerama [France], Nojesguiden-Natl [Sweden], Playground-Natl [Spain], Muzikalia-Natl / Intl [Spain], ChronicArt [France], Quart [Hungary], Sentire Ascoltare [Italy], Tentaciones-Intl [Spain]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zago
Debut

Post by zago »

Hi Harold,

glad to see SentireAscoltare in the list, but the official chart will be definitive only on 31/12 :)

thanks a lot!
Giuseppe
Are You Experienced?

Post by Giuseppe »

Thanks Zago, I wasn't aware. I'll post again it, if changes will occur
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

New additions in this update:

USA/Canada: Under the Radar
UK/Ireland: Kerrang!, The Line of Best Fit, Muso's Guide
Rest of the World: Numerocero [Spain - corrected source], Visions [Germany], Vibrations [Switzerland], Rock De Lux - Intl/Natl [Spain], Tentaciones - Intl/Natl [Spain], MondoSonoro - Natl [Spain], The Age [Australia], Rip It Up [Australia], Ondarock [Italy], Indiepoprock [France]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Harold,
I don't see yet the "Libération" list in your AM EOY albums 2012 lists. Is it normal?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Romain wrote:Harold,
I don't see yet the "Libération" list in your AM EOY albums 2012 lists. Is it normal?
I just realized that I never added the Liberation list from 2011 - I think it got lost in a flood of lists, and because it's an unranked set of different short lists I put it aside and then never went back to it. I can check the 2010 spreadsheet to see how we dealt with the list then, and then add it.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Ok, thank you.

Oh, and be careful, "Les inrocks" published a new list with a top 20 of World, chansons, jazz.

HAve a good day.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

A USA-heavy update:

USA/Canada: Billboard, Epitonic, Little White Earbuds, MSN, The Agit Reader, XLR8R, Passion of the Weiss, Death & Taxes, HipHopDX, The Owl, Austin Town Hall, eMusic
Rest of the World: Indie Hoy [Argentina], Super 45 [Chile], Club Fonograma-Intl/Latin [Mexico]

Welcome to the top 10, Fiona!
chet_baker
Start Me Up

Post by chet_baker »

I find this list rather upsetting as a Brit! Not only are British artists nowhere to be seen (especially after last years' stunning James Blake record doing well), but I can't stand the British lists. Celebration Rock is personal favourite, and would be top 5 if it weren't for us. Apologies on behalf of my countries' entire music press.

Aside from this: Channel Orange is killer obviously, I totally don't understand the fuss about Tame Impala, I'm glad R.A.P. Music hasn't bothered the top 20. would like to see Burial, Purity Ring and Death Grips moving up.

Finally, what a shame it is that Animal Collective failed to produce their own Kid A / White Album / whatever other cliche. MPP was the real deal (so were feels, sung tongs, strawberry jam etc...)
chet_baker
Start Me Up

Post by chet_baker »

oh and Beach House was great. Should be higher, although i cant really complain about #6
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with:

USA/Canada: Textura [Canada], SputnikMusic
UK/Ireland: Mixmag
Rest of the World: The Yers [France], Dagasavisen [Norway], Liberation [France], PopNews [France], SWQW (formerly Chroniques Electroniques)-Experimental/Other [France]
Kingoftonga
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Kingoftonga »

Gah. Anyone have an explanation as to how Lana del Rey is doing so well? I thought Born to Die was pretty roundly panned when it came out last year, but now I see it pulling ahead of much better albums, such as WIXIW and Locked Down, that received glowing reviews. Is Lana del Rey just more "hip" than Dr. John or Liars at the moment, and thus more likely to be included on year-end lists?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Kingoftonga wrote:Gah. Anyone have an explanation as to how Lana del Rey is doing so well? I thought Born to Die was pretty roundly panned when it came out last year, but now I see it pulling ahead of much better albums, such as WIXIW and Locked Down, that received glowing reviews. Is Lana del Rey just more "hip" than Dr. John or Liars at the moment, and thus more likely to be included on year-end lists?
All you have to do is look at her scores on the international lists as opposed to the UK or (especially) US lists. The Europeans and Australians seem to think LDR is the proverbial bee's knees, for some reason. It's very odd, especially since, to me and apparently a lot of others, she's reminiscent of nothing so much as the kind of "World Famous Pop Star" characters who pop up on episodes of Law & Order or CSI and usually turn out to have killed their husbands.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

When it came out, Del Rey's album was a guilty pleasure of mine. I always did like it very much. Now, I don't have to feel so guilty about it anymore. I've been glad to find how many critics and sources share my enthusiasm for it.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Kingoftonga wrote:Gah. Anyone have an explanation as to how Lana del Rey is doing so well? I thought Born to Die was pretty roundly panned when it came out last year, but now I see it pulling ahead of much better albums, such as WIXIW and Locked Down, that received glowing reviews. Is Lana del Rey just more "hip" than Dr. John or Liars at the moment, and thus more likely to be included on year-end lists?
What do you want ? The taste of other are not the same as yours ;-)

For me, Chanel Orange is a really crap album with only shit songs for example and I'm not able to find something interesting in all his album.
On the contrary, I love a lot the songs of Lana Del Rey. Not hip or something, I just LOVE the melodies and what I feeling when I hear her songs.

It's not really important isn't it?
SuperFurry
Wannabe

Post by SuperFurry »

Amen Romain.
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

The explanation for the affair Lana del Rey is this: Mega Critic Chart is more reliable than EOY :-D
mattadam
Start Me Up

Post by mattadam »

Megacritic is better technically I think, but I think EOY is better at finding what albums defined the year musically in terms of influence
Best album of 2013: Reflektor by Arcade Fire

How did it only get an 80 on metacritic!?
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

I think Lana Del Ray's album was so hyped on its release that everyone at least listened to it. It's not like it's that high or anything, I think 37th for an album that got that much hype is actually really low.

Death Grips at 33 is a little surprising, as a lot of critics were tripping over themselves to praise it on its release. But to me the biggest surprise of this spreadsheet is Coexist at 10. That album seemed to universally disappoint critics, and no one in the US even put it in their top 10. Yet through a bunch of mid-tier rankings and incredible showing internationally (seriously, number 3?), there it is.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Jackson wrote: But to me the biggest surprise of this spreadsheet is Coexist at 10. That album seemed to universally disappoint critics, and no one in the US even put it in their top 10. Yet through a bunch of mid-tier rankings and incredible showing internationally (seriously, number 3?), there it is.
universally disappoint critics...........in one country.......hihihihi !
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

For me, one of the biggest surprises is the very poor showing for Patti Smith's Banga. An ambitious, generally well-reviewed album by one of the most critically revered artists around, and it's only at #312 with 5 points on the EOY spreadsheet?
HRS
Let's Get It On

Post by HRS »

Harold wrote:For me, one of the biggest surprises is the very poor showing for Patti Smith's Banga. An ambitious, generally well-reviewed album by one of the most critically revered artists around, and it's only at #312 with 5 points on the EOY spreadsheet?
And it was also released after one of the most critically acclaimed non-fiction books of the decade that basically put Patti, the poet back in the game. Guess that there wasnt strong hype - a combustor to many records that fared better.
mattadam
Start Me Up

Post by mattadam »

Finally got a chance to listen to The Seer. On the first listen I wondered if it was too ambient, instrumental, and long for me. On the second listen I am blown away! It really is an experience.
Best album of 2013: Reflektor by Arcade Fire

How did it only get an 80 on metacritic!?
andrewmacmillan
Debut

Post by andrewmacmillan »

They have plenty of other albums that are experiences too. They've been a very important and unique band a long time before The Seer was released.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

andrewmacmillan wrote:They have plenty of other albums that are experiences too. They've been a very important and unique band a long time before The Seer was released.
I do think it's interesting that it's this album that finally puts Swans into the critical mainstream. It seems like My Father Will Guide Me... would have been the more likely album to make them the type of band that, say, Pitchfork or Spin would include in its year end top 10, but nope, it's this one. It's 2 hours long and not much less experimental or abrasive than some of their other albums, but for some reason it got people to listen to Swans for the first time.
nicolas

Post by nicolas »

Been listening to Tame Impala. Pffff... swollen music. Not very interesting IMO. Messy prod that wants to pass for psychedelism
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I'm surprised to see Lonerism all the way up at #2. I liked their previous album but this one seemed lackluster to me.

The Seer is also one I couldn't get into at all this year. There's so many long droning tracks that don't justify their length. Good to see Grimes at #4.

Alt-j at #10 is a surprise after it was in the Moderate game.

A few of my lesser known finds it would have been nice to see get a little more recognition.
chet_baker
Start Me Up

Post by chet_baker »

Jirin wrote: A few of my lesser known finds it would have been nice to see get a little more recognition.
what?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with:

USA/Canada: Village Voice Pazz & Jop
Rest of the World: Plattentests [Germany], Go Mag - Natl/Intl [Spain], Dagbladet [Norway], Screenagers [Poland]
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Double-posted accidentally. I'm not seeing how to delete a post, so I'll replace it with this.
Last edited by Harold on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with:

UK/Ireland: Hot Press [Ireland]

And goodbye to the top 10 again, Fiona. (Dammit.) Welcome back, alt-J. Maybe after a few more listens I'll understand.
Happymeal
Debut

Post by Happymeal »

Wow, I'm pretty glad about this list being the way it is, other than a few albums I don't like (Good Kid, Bloom, The Seer) being in the top 10 I really love the list here. I'm also glad to see Scott Walker pretty high up there.
SleepingPills
I'm New Here

Post by SleepingPills »

This may be way too late but Ad Hoc, Altered Zones's spiritual successor, had posted their 2012 lists and I noticed the song and album lists weren't included. Is it way too late to do it (probably)?

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”