RIP Aretha Franklin

StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

RIP Aretha Franklin

Post by StevieFan13 »

Well, it happened.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: RIP Aretha Franklin

Post by Harold »

We knew it was coming, but it doesn't make the news any less devastating. R.I.P. to a true legend.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Another great one gone. Same day as Elvis.
carlos74
Wannabe

Post by carlos74 »

I did not have time to participate in the poll of women's albums but I would surely have voted "Lady Soul" in the first place, along with "I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You", "Aretha Now" and "Spirit in the Dark" my favorites from her.

Rest in peace.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Much like Tom Petty, it is unfortunate that this story developed before she died. It makes David Bowie's death being kept a secret all the more impressive.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Rest in peace.
I feel like that
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

StevieFan13 wrote:Well, it happened.

Yes, and now I deeply regret to have included her on the dead list on my morbid thread two or three days before her actual death. Anyway what's done is done.

Aretha was the number four (no less!) on our women artist's poll, after Björk, Kate Bush and Joni Mitchell and before Madonna. These were my comments after the posting of the results: "And finally, even if my own Top 5 was (slightly) different, I like a lot the final Top 5. Especially the Top 3 with 3 singer-songwriters (in a broad sense) with idiosyncratic and unconventional approaches to music that in spite of this proved to be quite popular. And with unique, peculiar (and great in my opinion) singing styles. To counterbalance this the ladies in positions 4 and 5 shined in pre-existing and well defined music styles (gospel-soul and dance-pop respectively) but showed so strong vocal prowess and scenic presence (also respectively) that ended being probably the most influential artists on the list." Oddly Aretha died the same day that Madonna turned 60 (and the same day as Elvis' death but 41 years later). And yes, Aretha was probably the most influential female vocalist ever (if not the best ever).

If Bleupanda don't mind I'm going to copy the results of our poll about Aretha on albums, songs and biggest fans:

4. Aretha Franklin
Score: 1657.4 (Votes: 22)
Ranked Albums: I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You (#8), Lady Soul (#29), Aretha Now (#228)
Ranked Songs: Respect (#2), I Say A Little Prayer (#35), Think (#52), Chain of Fools (#74), (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman (#82), I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You) (#124), Do Right Woman, Do Right Man (#361), Since You've Been Gone (#450), One Step Ahead (#475), Rock Steady (#808), Baby I Love You (#890)
Biggest Fan(s):
Bruno (#1), andyd1010 (#1), sonofsamiam (#2), Dexter (#2), Jirin (#3), Dan (#3), Hymie (#4), bonnielaurel (#4), panam (#4), StevieFan13 (#4), Father2TheMan (#6), Henrik (#6), Henry (#7), Honorio (#12), pauldrach (#18), Jackson (#20), Neil (#23), BleuPanda (#23)

As a little homage to Aretha I made a playlist with a song from every Aretha album available in Spotify (there are 5 albums missing from the second half of the 1970s) in chronological order (I selected the songs with more streams in Spotify). And I would like to include a list with the best albums and songs according to Acclaimed Music adding some comments culled from Allmusic (if I find time during the weekend).

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Aretha Franklin is one of those artists who really deserves the too easily applied term "legendary". Her influences on soul as well as on female singers is enormous. And Respect is still arguably the ultimate feminist anthem. She doesn't perform in a style that really connects that much with me (and I have to admit here that I didn't vote for her in the female artist poll, did not include any song of hers in my top 1000 - to say Respect did come close is perhaps too much of a backhanded compliment - and I haven't actually ever felt the need to listen to an album of her in full), but even so her impact is clear to me. I guess I will check out some albums of her this week, perhaps I can go from distant appreciation to a more close admirer.
Honorio wrote:And I would like to include a list with the best albums and songs according to Acclaimed Music adding some comments culled from Allmusic (if I find time during the weekend).
There is already a playlist of all Aretha Franklin songs on AM, in ranked order:
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Aretha is a top 10 artist of all time, no doubt.

Legend never dies!

My favorite female singer.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Very sad, indeed. Looking at Honorio's thread regarding artists from the sixties, the very youngest are now in their late sixties, with the vast majority well into their seventies. It's hard to imagine a time when they'll all be physically gone, but their music makes them immortal, and Aretha's amazing voice is certainly one of the best examples.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

The Top 10 albums of Aretha Franklin
(according to Acclaimed Music)

1. I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You
Year of release: 1967
Rankings in AM: All-Time #94 / 1960s #25 / 1967 #6

"While the inclusion of "Respect" —one of the truly seminal singles in pop history— is in and of itself sufficient to earn I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You classic status, Aretha Franklin's Atlantic label debut is an indisputable masterpiece from start to finish. Much of the credit is due to producer Jerry Wexler, who finally unleashed the soulful intensity so long kept under wraps during her Columbia tenure; assembling a crack Muscle Shoals backing band along with an abundance of impeccable material, Wexler creates the ideal setting to allow Aretha to ascend to the throne of Queen of Soul, and she responds with the strongest performances of her career." (Jason Ankeny for AMG)

2. Lady Soul
Year of release: 1968
Rankings in AM: All-Time #148 / 1960s #32 / 1968 #7

"Her unparalleled blend of hard-edged rural blues with the polished modes of city blues stretches across the album’s ten exquisite selections. Driven by a King Curtis-led horn section, the rhythm backing of the Muscle Shoals delegation and a who’s who roster of all-star musicians, including Joe Smith, Eric Clapton, and a young Bobby Womack, there’s an earthy urgency that runs through the album. Even when it sweetens a bit, it’s still direct. The grooves knock with rock-solid precision. While she will always be credited with infusing her innate gospel sensibilities within hard-hitting R&B, Lady Soul epitomizes the core of Franklin’s idiosyncratic pop mastery: improvising her own personal style of blues to create an emotional space in her music." (Brandon Ausley for Albumism, 2018)

3. Amazing Grace
Year of release: 1972
Rankings in AM: All-Time #1118 / 1970s #277 / 1972 #26

"And while the sound is occasionally unorthodox, the material is largely from the basic repertoire, including many songs Aretha has been singing all of her life. In nearly every case, I found myself struck first by the comprehensiveness and depth of the arrangement and then by the brilliance of her lead voice. As she hits note after note that I always knew was there but had never heard before, the distance between listener and participant falls away. Her performance is a virtuoso display of gospel pyrotechnics, done with control and imagination." (Jon Landau for Rolling Stone, 1972)

4. Spirit in the Dark
Year of release: 1970
Rankings in AM: All-Time #1824 / 1970s #428 / 1970 #50

"It is not her most famous record. It is not her top-selling record. What it is is her truest record, the one that best captures her essential ache—the pain of a black woman clamoring for freedom from the domineering men who suffocated her childhood, manipulated her career, mangled her personal life, and more broadly speaking oppressed her race and robbed her dignity. It's an assertion of personhood, a monument to resilience in the face of pain. As if to make all this explicit she closes the album with a cover of B.B. King's "Why I Sing the Blues," though when it finally arrives the song is redundant. If you've been listening, you already know why." (Nick Marino for Pitchfork, 2018).

5. Young, Gifted and Black
Year of release: 1972
Rankings in AM: All-Time #2027 / 1970s #468 / 1972 #53

"Aretha is caught in mirrored reflection on the cover. Her four faces could symbolise the musical strands on this album – political, gospel, rock and soul. Although there are those that will always argue that the best long-form Aretha Franklin recording is a hits compilation, Young, Gifted and Black exudes superiority, confidence and class. There is little doubt on this album that 'Ree is Queen Bee." (Daryl Easlea for BBC Music, 2010)

6. Aretha Now
Rankings in AM: All-Time #2203 / 1960s #296 / 1968 #56

"Being overshadowed by a more iconic release, Aretha Now is now an album primed for rediscovery by those who don't look much beyond 'Greatest Albums of All Time' lists. Despite its brief duration, it's loaded with great tunes, with her version of "I Say a Little Prayer" and "A Change" being two of Franklin's finest songs from her golden period, and while "Think" is the only number for which she herself receives a writing credit, what a number it is!" (Jon Bryan for Backseat Mafia, 2010)

7. Aretha Live at Fillmore West
Year of release: 1971
Rankings in AM: All-Time #2526 / 1970s #570 / 1971 #65

"There is no shortage of superlatives to adorn Aretha Franklin's Live at Fillmore West, for it is among the most riveting concerts ever captured on record. Originally recorded and released in 1971, Live at Fillmore West is the gold standard by which other live albums can be measured. The excitement generated by its spontaneity is visceral and it remains a stunning document that attests to the power of Franklin's craft." (Christian John Wikane for PopMatters, 2006)

And three more "bubbling under" albums in chronological order:

8. Aretha Arrives

9. Soul '69
Year of release: 1969

10. Who's Zoomin' Who
Year of release: 1985

My three favourites?
1. Lady Soul (1968)
2. I Never Loved a Man The Way I Love You (1967)
3. Spirit in the Dark (1970)

Soon... the Top 20 songs!
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

The Top 20 songs of Aretha Franklin
(according to Acclaimed Music)

1. Respect
Rankings in AM: All-Time #11 / 1960s #8 / 1967 #2
Songwriter: Otis Redding
Producer: Jerry Wexler

"Otis Redding wrote it. With her shoulder bristling swagger, Aretha made it a Civil Rights anthem that resounds to this day. In a febrile era, young Americans were demanding change. Along came a 25-year-old black woman with a voice of almost bewildering power and range, demonstrating exactly what that change might look and sound like." (Neil McCormick for The Telegraph, 2018)
"On [February 14th of 1967]... a little-known gospel singer from Detroit went into a New York City recording studio to try to jump-start her career. No one saw it coming, but the song Aretha Franklin laid down on Valentine's Day 1967 would go on to become one of the greatest recordings of all time. "Respect" hit the top of the charts four months later and turned Aretha Franklin into a feminist champion. The track was actually a clever gender-bending of a song by Otis Redding, whose original reinforced the traditional family structure of the time: Man works all day, brings money home to wife and demands her respect in return. Franklin's version blew that structure to bits. For one, Redding's song doesn't spell out "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" like Franklin's does. It also doesn't have the backup singers and their clever interplay. So much of what made "Respect" a hit — and an anthem — came from Franklin's rearrangement." (NPR staff, 2017)

2. I Say a Little Prayer
Rankings in AM: All-Time #328 / 1960s #104 / 1968 #14
Songwriters: Burt Bacharach / Hal David

"Wexler heard Aretha fooling around with this one in the studio and it sounded so good he decided to record it on the spot. What Aretha has done with the arrangement is among the most creative things I have ever heard her do. After whipping through the song, she gets into a very kinetic buildup with the chorus doing a very nice job. After several repetitions of the basic melody – lyric line, the ensemble moves very nicely into the chorus again, with a beautiful crescendo. The whole structure of the thing reveals tremendous sensitivity on the part of all concerned. It is just that level of personal communication (...) is utilized so well here." (Jon Landau for Rolling Stone, 1972)

3. Chain of Fools
Rankings in AM: All-Time #598 / 1960s #155 / 1967 #28
Songwriter: Don Covay

"Aretha gets a lot of credit for the power in her vocals, but even more impressive to me is her sheer feel for a song. Few singers can match her synchronicity with the groove—never mechanical, never contrived and fully capable of getting your hips shaking all by itself. Aretha also had unique expressive range, as best demonstrated on the stop-time verse in "Chain of Fools" when she drops from belt-out mode into bitch-in-heat mode on the line, "Oh, but your lovin' is much too strong." You can visualize her caught in an erotic trance as she opens her lips to receive a kiss or melts to her lover's touch. Ooh, yeah!." (altrockchick for 50thirdand3rd, 2014)

4. I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You)
Rankings in AM: All-Time #599 / 1960s #156 / 1967 #29
Songwriter: Ronnie Shannon

"Aretha's first side on Atlantic Records was this watershed recording for both her own career and soul music itself. Recorded at the famed Muscle Shoals studios, this is it, the record that started it all for Aretha, a hugely influential unimpeachable masterpiece with her brilliant and impassioned vocals soaring and swooping over a smokin’ house band as her bountiful talents were at last allowed to flower. It's the song that ushered in Aretha's classic Atlantic era and lit the fuse for some of the greatest recordings in the history of soul music." (Graeme Ross for Independent, 2018).

5. (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
Rankings in AM: All-Time #1002 / 1960s #242 / 1967 #44
Songwriters: Gerry Goffin / Carole King / Jerry Wexler

"No one begrudges Franklin her throne as supreme soul sister number one. Her version is a living, breathing, classic piece of pop-soul. Like many of her mid- to late-'60s recordings, it is based around a gospel piano part. Jerry Wexler (who also gets a writing credit) allows Franklin's gospel approach to lead the track, but assures its pop success with some pizzicato strings and warm brass accents. Franklin sings it perfectly, with a lovely sense of the building arrangement, and the Sweet Inspirations provide stellar backing vocals." (Bill Janovitz for All Music Guide)

6. Think
Rankings in AM: All-Time #1258 / 1960s #296 / 1968 #38
Songwriters: Aretha Franklin / Teddy White

"On April 9, 1968, Franklin sang "Precious Lord" at the funeral of Martin Luther King, Jr. in Atlanta. Six days later, she sat at the piano at the New York studios of Atlantic Records, pounding the piano and singing about freedom. "Think" – credited to Franklin and her then-husband Ted White – was a woman's demand that the man playing mind games with her take a look at himself, and Franklin was at a low point with the abusive White. But with "Think," the personal was political. "Let your mind go, let yourself be free," Franklin implored before hitting a bridge that had her and the Sweet Inspirations trading the word "freedom" 12 times, upping the intensity with each repetition." (Rolling Stone staff, 2018)

7. Do Right Woman - Do Right Man
Rankings in AM: All-Time #2749 / 1960s #526 / 1967 #88
Songwriters: Chips Moman / Dan Penn

"Aretha's voice sounds very different on this track, and it isn't just that she's singing in a lower register. This may be reaching, but it sounds like she carried the sad embarrassment of her relationship with her volatile and violent husband with her into the studio. The feminist aspect of the song therefore comes across as much more personal, as if she's very, very tired of not getting the respect she deserves as a human being. (...) I find this one of her more touching performances, integrating gospel and soul stylings with some very heavy emotion." (altrockchick for 50thirdand3rd, 2016)

8. Rock Steady
Rankings in AM: All-Time #3457 / 1970s #734 / 1971 #84
Songwriter: Aretha Franklin
Producers: Tom Dowd / Arif Mardin / Jerry Wexler

""Let's call this song exactly what it is." A smash hit penned by Franklin, "Rock Steady" was all guts and groove, with an opener that was as funky as anything Sly Stone had done by that point and pointed towards what disco would be. And Donny Hathaway is on electric piano, with the Memphis Horns also guesting." (Stereo Williams for Billboard, 2018)

9. Don't Play That Song
Year of release: 1970
Rankings in AM: All-Time #3774 / 1970s #805 / 1970 #94
Songwriters: Ahmet Ertegün / Betty Nelson

"Demonstrating Aretha's oft overlooked piano chops to great effect (check her 1970 appearance on the Cliff Richard show on YouTube), this million-selling single features an exuberant whooping and soaring Franklin vocal, totally at odds with the song's lyrics. (She can't stand to listen to the song that reminds her so much of her lying lover.)" (Graeme Ross for Independent, 2018)

10. Ain't No Way
Rankings in AM: All-Time #4244 / 1960s #758 / 1968 #101
Songwriter: Carolyn Franklin

"A ballad as gorgeously hopeless as any lost-cause love can be. She knows her man isn't as bad as he seems, but he can't seem to stop himself: "Stop trying to be someone you're not/Hard, cold and cruel." And even if there's a will, there's still no way." (Entertainment Weekly staff, 2018).

11. Until You Come Back to Me (That's What I'm Gonna Do)
Year of release: 1973
Rankings in AM: All-Time #5166 / 1970s #1037 / 1973 #114
Songwriters: Morris Broadnax / Clarence Paul / Stevie Wonder

"Stevie Wonder co-wrote, recorded and then shelved a version of this charmingly pushy love song in the mid Sixties. Franklin did more than revive it; she turned a leftover into one of her most transcendent singles. (...) "Until You Come Back to Me" achieves an effortless glide, Aretha's vocal a purr. In her hands, romantic obsession never felt so warm and inviting." (Rolling Stone staff, 2018)

12. Baby I Love You
Rankings in AM: All-Time #5367 / 1960s #943 / 1967 #145
Songwriter: Ronnie Shannon

""Baby I Love You" has an insouciant, playful sway and a Stax-like Southern soul groove featuring a drawling guitar lick driving it forward, and a strident, swinging vocal from Franklin that can lift into a high gospel wail on a moment's notice." (Rolling Stone staff, 2018)

13. Angel
Year of release: 1973
Rankings in AM: All-Time #5760 / 1970s #1146 / 1973 #128
Songwriters: Carolyn Franklin / Sonny Saunders
Producers: Aretha Franklin / Quincy Jones

"The stunning ballad "Angel," written for Aretha by her sister Carolyn (...) Aretha and Carolyn spent much of their life in squabbles over music and relationships, but here, for a precious 4 minutes and 30 seconds, they found their magic together." (Jason King for Slate, 2018)

14. Sisters Are Doin' It for Themselves
Rankings in AM: All-Time #5860 / 1980s #963 / 1985 #87
Songwriters: Annie Lennox / Dave Stewart
Producer: Dave Stewart

"Eurythmics vocalist Annie Lennox (...) served as Franklin's foil on this clamorous proto-girl-power anthem (...). The gospel-tinged celebration of female independence (...) was produced by Lennox's musical partner Dave Stewart." (Rolling Stone staff, 2018)

15. A Rose Is Still a Rose
Year of release: 1998
Rankings in AM: All-Time #6671 / 1990s #1040 / 1998 #97
Songwriter: Lauryn Hill
Producer: Lauryn Hill

"Written and produced by the Fugees' Lauryn Hill, the song floats atop an incessant beat that makes a bracing virtue of its choppiness; violins swing in conversationally, and piano syncopations soothe transitions during Franklin's consoling sermon." (James Hunter for Rolling Stone, 1998)

16. Spanish Harlem
Rankings in AM: All-Time #6941 / 1970s #805 / 1970 #94
Songwriters: Jerry Leiber / Phil Spector

"Aretha Franklin dipped into the Ben E. King songbook for the Jerry Leiber/Phil Spector song "Spanish Harlem." (...) While King's 1961 Top 15 R&B/pop version had a mannered elegance, Franklin's cover was more swinging and bass heavy." (Ed Hogan for All Music Guide)

17. (Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone
Rankings in AM: All-Time #7073 / 1960s #1171 / 1968 #166
Songwriters: Aretha Franklin / Teddy White

"Has a song about losing love ever felt so good? Over a blast of joyful horns and a jump-up backbeat, Aretha’s chorus climbs all the way to heavens; she says she’s on her knees because she’s so blue, but no real man could ever leave her down there for long." (Entertainment Weekly staff, 2018).

18. Jump to It
Year of release: 1982
Rankings in AM: All-Time #8662 / 1980s #1425 / 1982 #146
Songwriters: Marcus Miller / Luther Vandross
Producer: Luther Vandross

"The key to Jump to It's success is Franklin's extraordinary chemistry with Luther Vandross, her producer (...) Instead of fitting Franklin's voice into a predesigned signature sound, Vandross parades her miraculous talent in front of relaxed, elegant backdrops." (Stephen Holden for Rolling Stone, 1982)

19. Freeway of Love
Rankings in AM: All-Time #8794 / 1980s #1447 / 1985 #133
Songwriters: Jeffrey Cohen / Narada Michael Walden
Producer: Narada Michael Walden

"Aretha Franklin's "Freeway of Love" has more than a hint of the Motown sound in its groove. Not surprising since Franklin and the track's producer, Narada Michael Walden, have strong Michigan roots. (...) Bruce Springsteen sideman Clarence Clemons added wailing sax to the track." (Ed Hogan for All Music Guide)

20. A Change Is Gonna Come
Rankings in AM: All-Time #9633 / 1960s #1531 / 1967 #241
Songwriter: Sam Cooke
Producers: Jerry Wexler

"The album closes with the Sam Cooke showstopper "A Change is Gonna Come," where Aretha reaches into her gospel roots for power and in-the-spirit phrasing. (...) When she gets to the chorus, she replaces one tiny word: "a change is gonna come" becomes "my change is gonna come." This was no mistake, as she repeats the word substitution the next time around. (...) The "my" substitution may have been a wish to free herself from an oppressive marriage, or it simply may have been another way to emphasize pride in one's identity as a woman. However you interpret it, Aretha's performance on "A Change is Gonna Come" is another stellar performance on an album of great interpretations, one that would have done the composer proud had he been alive to hear it." (altrockchick for 50thirdand3rd, 2016)

And 9 songs more in chronological order:
21. Dr. Feelgood (Love Is a Serious Business) (1967)
22. The House that Jack Built (1968)
23. Call Me (1970)
24. Spirit in the Dark (1970)
25. Bridge Over Troubled Water (1971)
26. Oh Me Oh My (I'm a Fool for You) (1971)
27. Brand New Me (1971)
28. Day Dreaming (1972)
29. I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) (1986)

You can find the playlist above (on the Rob's post).

My three favourites?
1. I Say a Little Prayer (1968)
2. Chain of Fools (1967)
3. Respect (1967)
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Thanks, Honorio, for the celebratory writeup! I used to dislike Aretha Franklin, but I've warmed to her over the years. I still wouldn't consider her a favorite, but I have great admiration for what she has done. A true legend and a Michigan woman at that, so hats off to you, Aretha.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

My 50 favorites:

1. Respect
2. Since You've Been Gone
3. Think
4. Chain of Fools
5. Do Right Woman, Do Right Man
6. Don't Play That Song
7. Dr. Feelgood
8. Evil Gal Blues
9. I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)
10. Rock Steady
11. Soulville
12. Baby I Love You
13. (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
14. Soul Serenade
15. My Song
16. I Say A Little Prayer
17. You're A Sweet Sweet Man
18. Freeway of Love
19. Jump To It
20. Ain't No Way
21. Baby, Baby, Baby
22. The House That Jack Built
23. Spanish Harlem
24. Until You Come Back To Me
25. Sweet Bitter Love
26. Good To Me As I Am To You
27. Share Your Love With Me
28. Runnin' Out of Fools
29. Operation Heartbreak
30. Won't Be Long
31. See-Saw
32. Don't Cry, Baby
33. A Different World (TV Theme Song)
34. People Get Ready
35. Drown In My Own Tears
36. Rough Lover
37. Blue Holiday
38. Day Dreaming
39. The Weight
40. Today I Sing The Blues
41. Good Times
42. Can't You Just See Me
43. Rock-A-Bye Your Baby With A Dixie Melody
44. A Change Is Gonna Come
45. Lee Cross
46. Spirit In The Dark
47. I Can't See Myself Leaving You
48. Never Grow Old
49. You Send Me
50. Prove It
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Live on the Steve Allen Show in 1964:

Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

A bonus (and I promise I will stop after that), the Top 25 of songs written and sung by Aretha (ordered by Spotify streams)
Name of the song | Date of release | Spotify streams until today (08/19/2018)

1. Think | 1968 | 58.984.117
2. Rock Steady | 1971 | 10.986.836
3. Who's Zoomin' Who | 1985 | 5.253.749
4. Day Dreaming | 1972 | 3.765.749
5. Dr. Feelgood (Love Is a Serious Business) | 1967 | 3.246.761
6. (Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone | 1968 | 3.104.349
7. Save Me | 1967 | 2.771.414
8. Call Me | 1970 | 2.209.010
9. Spirit in the Dark | 1970 | 1.658.552
10. Baby Baby Baby | 1967 | 1.582.319

11. Good to Me As I Am to You | 1968 | 837.716
12. Don't Let Me Lose This Dream | 1967 | 677.724
13. You and Me | 1970 | 393.446
14. All the King's Horses | 1972 | 235.143
15. Without the One You Love | 1962 | 185.019
16. Try Matty's | 1970 | 181.192
17. One Way Ticket | 1970 | 158.085
18. First Snow in Kokomo | 1972 | 152.455
19. He's the Boy | 1989 | 99.141
20. So Swell When You're Well | 1973 | 91.647
21. So Damn Happy | 2003 | 89.729
22. Integrity | 1985 | 75.513
23. Land of Dreams | 1967 | 70.479
24. You Are My Joy | 2003 | 61.553
25. Master of Eyes (The Deepness of Your Eyes) | 1973 | 59.247

Aretha Franklin released more than 50 self-penned song, 13 or 14 of them non available on Spotify
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Anyone wanna run a song poll?

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”