Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

NPG0607
Start Me Up
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:00 am

Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby NPG0607 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:17 am

I'll Say The Gold Experience by the Artist formerly known as Prince,I think it gained much acclaim and were really great in my opinion.Maybe it didn't appear in enough lists?

User avatar
FrankLotion
Strange Fruit
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 9:15 pm

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby FrankLotion » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:29 pm

The fact that Mount Eerie’s discography didn’t make it until A Crow Looked at Me was always pretty surprising to me, plus I know Run the Jewels 3 had a Christmas release date so it was doomed to be forgotten in lists but it definitely deserves a spot on AM!

Henry
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1242
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Henry » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:03 pm

I'm a fan of Utopia's first album "Todd Rundgren's Utopia" which had a few very long songs including "The Ikon" which I recommend to AM fans for a listen. No Utopia album made it to an AM list and Utopia is not among the artists listed in AM.

User avatar
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 4103
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby StevieFan13 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:25 pm

Any Weird Al album
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1794
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Harold » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:27 pm

FrankLotion wrote:I know Run the Jewels 3 had a Christmas release date so it was doomed to be forgotten in lists but it definitely deserves a spot on AM!


RTJ3 certainly does deserve a spot on AM. In fact, it has one. It's #2510 on the all-time album list, listed as a 2016 release.

User avatar
FrankLotion
Strange Fruit
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat May 05, 2018 9:15 pm

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby FrankLotion » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:24 am

Harold wrote:
FrankLotion wrote:I know Run the Jewels 3 had a Christmas release date so it was doomed to be forgotten in lists but it definitely deserves a spot on AM!


RTJ3 certainly does deserve a spot on AM. In fact, it has one. It's #2510 on the all-time album list, listed as a 2016 release.


Whaaaaaaaaat that must have been with new update! Well I’m glad it’s been given its due! :mrgreen:

User avatar
Listyguy
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2023
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Listyguy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:36 am

Nothing I say below will surprise anyone who's been around this forum, but here's a few personal favorites:

  • Lolita Nation by Game Theory
  • The Big Shot Chronicles by Game Theory
  • Penguin Eggs by Nic Jones
  • Cold Fact by Rodriguez

User avatar
Moonbeam
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1265
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:40 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Moonbeam » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:49 am

NPG0607 wrote:I'll Say The Gold Experience by the Artist formerly known as Prince,I think it gained much acclaim and were really great in my opinion.Maybe it didn't appear in enough lists?


Excellent suggestion! The Gold Experience is just outside my all-time top 10. I imagine a lot of my top 100 (maybe even half) doesn't feature in the AM list.

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1794
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Harold » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:05 am

Listyguy wrote:[*]Penguin Eggs by Nic Jones


This one is bubbling under, and if you look at the AM "History" tab you'll see that it inched into the top 3000 on a couple of occasions, most recently in 2010.

Very much in full agreement on the two Game Theory albums. (Both are in the top 10,000 on both BestEverAlbums and RateYourMusic.)

Future Critic
Let's Get It On
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:04 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Future Critic » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:22 am

I'd pick:
Fearless, Taylor Swift
Speak Now, Taylor Swift
Red, Taylor Swift
Fly, Dixie Chicks

Also, Taking the Long Way Home by the Dixie Chicks deserves to be much higher.

User avatar
Safetycat
Are You Experienced?
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:18 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Safetycat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:13 am

StevieFan13 wrote:Any Weird Al album


Seconded! I thought at least Mandatory Fun would get the nod with how successful it was...

I would have assumed True Colours by Split Enz would at least be on here (even though it's my least favourite release of theirs...), but I feel like Dizrythmia, Time and Tide and Waiata/Corroboree all deserve a placement.

Also, Get Busy Living by Goldfish and Mouth Moods by Neil Cicierega.

User avatar
prosecutorgodot
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 872
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:53 am
Location: San Francisco, California

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby prosecutorgodot » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:35 am

Kero Kero Bonito - Bonito Generation was the first thing that came to mind. Absolutely genuine pop music. Much rarer and more special than a lot of music fans think.

And of course... where are those Joe Hisaishi soundtracks????? He has three instant classics, and several more that are pretty good.

User avatar
luvulongTIM
Different Class
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:14 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby luvulongTIM » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:53 am

Well the second and third Liz Phair album are barely scraping the bubbling under section and they were both excellent follow ups. Same thing with the entire catalog of the Wonder Stuff. Never saw the appeal for the Postal Service when a perfectly enjoyable Her Space Holiday album which was also released in 03 never really saw the light of day with critics’ Year End Lists. 03 was a weird year where the critics seemed really off their game with so many great cds released that year that either barely scraped by, bubbled under or were completely dismissed. Delays released a sensational record. I think Jem came out with her magnificent debut record but I can see why critics might have dismissed Finally Woken. For one thing she sounded like Beth Orton with a hint of polished, pop, production which made her seem like she was aiming for top 40 AirPlay. Not a very “Beth Orton” move which to them was a complete turn off. Also wrong place wrong time. Being a soulful female British pop star was huge 5 years later. She did make an album during that time frame but she was close to or over 30 so....no chance. Fountains of Wayne’s Welcome Interstate Managers probably doesn’t have much longer til it’s a bubbling under with it slipping significantly each update. Another shame because I always preferred it to the decent but somewhat disappointing Chutes Too Narrow. Again with 03, Camera Obscura released their best work with Underachievers Please Try Harder. Same with Mull Historical Society’s Us. Sadly Rilo Kiley keeps slipping into the bubblers section as well and they deserve better. You’d think with the success and admiration for the acclaimed Illinois by Sufjan Stevens twee or lofi indie pop would gain more of attention. Dressy Bessy and Apples in Stereo never got the kind of glory of their label mate Neutral Milk Hotel did. Even Of Montreal had one acclaimed effort and was rarely heard from after that. More twee legends like Talulah Gosh, Shop Assistants and Shonen Knife got zero recognition from critics. But my biggest beef would go to the jangle pop gems of the Trash can Sinatra’s. Their debut Cake was an all out classic, their follow up was great and had this breathtaking single Bloodrush and their big comeback album Weightlifting would go on my list as possibly the best comeback album since Private Dancer.
Image

Pauler
Strange Fruit
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:59 pm

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Pauler » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:37 am

Hadestown by Anais Mitchell. I thought the inclusion of Justin Vernon as a guest vocalist would have made this masterpiece more well-known :(

NPG0607
Start Me Up
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:00 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby NPG0607 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:02 pm

StevieFan13 wrote:Any Weird Al album

Great suggestion :mrgreen:

NPG0607
Start Me Up
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:00 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby NPG0607 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:05 pm

prosecutorgodot wrote:And of course... where are those Joe Hisaishi soundtracks????? He has three instant classics, and several more that are pretty good.

A lot of great film scores was not in acclaimed music,The Empire Strikes Back8 and a half by Nino Rota,A Clockwork Orange etc.,are all overlooked gems in my opinion.

NPG0607
Start Me Up
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:00 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby NPG0607 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:12 pm

I held my opinion that AM overlooked many albums that were not so popular,especially for hip-hop.But i guess unpopular means it can't appear in many mainstream lists.

User avatar
acroamor
Different Class
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:16 pm
Location: Peachtree City, GA while at home, Los Angeles, CA while at college

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby acroamor » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Future Critic wrote:I'd pick:
Fearless, Taylor Swift
Speak Now, Taylor Swift
Red, Taylor Swift
Fly, Dixie Chicks

Also, Taking the Long Way Home by the Dixie Chicks deserves to be much higher.


As someone who recently got very into Taylor Swift, I gotta say I agree. If the all-time songs poll had happened just a little bit later, "All Too Well" would have easily been in my top 100.

I'd also add Watertown by Frank Sinatra, possibly his masterpiece, but released in 1970 after most people stopped paying attention to his new releases.

User avatar
madzong
Different Class
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby madzong » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Safetycat wrote:I would have assumed True Colours by Split Enz would at least be on here (even though it's my least favourite release of theirs...), but I feel like Dizrythmia, Time and Tide and Waiata/Corroboree all deserve a placement.


I agree - 'True Colours' should be on AM as well as their debut 'Mental Notes'.

These two hip hop albums are excellent releases that deserve more recognition too:

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030

Handsome Boy Modelling Club - So How's Your Girl?
Last edited by madzong on Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Listyguy
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2023
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Listyguy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:34 pm

Harold wrote:
Listyguy wrote:[*]Penguin Eggs by Nic Jones


This one is bubbling under, and if you look at the AM "History" tab you'll see that it inched into the top 3000 on a couple of occasions, most recently in 2010.

Very much in full agreement on the two Game Theory albums. (Both are in the top 10,000 on both BestEverAlbums and RateYourMusic.)

You are correct about Penguin Eggs being in the top 3000 once upon a time (that's actually how I found it!)

Jirin
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2225
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Jirin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:31 am

*Points to Best Moderately Acclaimed Album*

We do contests on this sort of thing, quite a lot. :)

The Loud Family - Plants And Birds And Rocks And Other Things is my favorite. I love a lot of albums in the lower reaches of the chart.

In researching this was a little surprised that neither Scott Miller Project or Stephen Merritt's non-Magnetic projects have anything even bubble.

Watertown isn't charting? It's by far my favorite Sinatra album.

User avatar
Live in Phoenix
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 957
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:50 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Live in Phoenix » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:21 am

acroamor wrote:I'd also add Watertown by Frank Sinatra, possibly his masterpiece, but released in 1970 after most people stopped paying attention to his new releases.


Yeah, I've heard quite a bit of Sinatra, tried to cover all my bases, but I don't think I've heard anything from this album. "I Would Be in Love (Anyway)" showed up twice in Favorite Songs by AM Top 100 Artists.

Red Ant
Are You Experienced?
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:48 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Red Ant » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:26 am

I'd add a vote for "Fly" by the Dixie Chicks, then perhaps suggest the following that are all in my Top 100 albums but seem to have been overlooked by recent critical reviews
Bad Company – Straight Shooter
Nils Lofgren – Night After Night
Steve Miller Band – Book Of Dreams
Queen – Queen
Moody Blues – A Question of Balance
The Police - Regatta de Blanc
Billy Joel – An Innocent Man
Mary Chapin Carpenter - Shooting Straight In The Dark
Beth Neilsen Chapman – Deeper Still
Tears For Fears - The Seeds of Love
The Who – Who Are You
Bon Jovi – New Jersey
T’Pau – Bridge of Spies
Fleetwood Mac – The Dance
Bruce Hornsby & The Range – The Way It Is

User avatar
Bang Jan
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1167
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:15 pm
Location: Cheltenham, United Kingdom

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Bang Jan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:36 am

Red Ant wrote:The Police - Regatta de Blanc


This is actually ranked 365 on AM.
"The first word in this song is discorporate. It means to leave your body."

Red Ant
Are You Experienced?
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:48 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Red Ant » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:39 am

Apologies - my spelling error meant I didn't find it on an Excel search.

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 2040
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:28 pm
Location: New York State

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Nick » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:12 am

The fact that Tom Tom Club's debut album isn't anywhere on AM is extremely surprising, especially when you consider the enormous critical success of Talking Heads and their albums, as well as the fact that "Genius of Love" is in the top 1,000 songs.

Amoux
Are You Experienced?
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Amoux » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:46 am

I've always been surprised that Raphael Saadiq's "The Way I See It" didn't make the top 3000.

User avatar
madzong
Different Class
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby madzong » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:20 pm

Red Ant wrote:Fleetwood Mac – The Dance


I agree with 'Fleetwood Mac - The Dance'. This is a great live album!

User avatar
luvulongTIM
Different Class
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:14 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby luvulongTIM » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:58 am

Midnight Boom by The Kills which got a 5 star review by All Music but still barely bubbled under and seems to keep slipping. And yet they still refused to budge a half star to give Hounds of Love it’s long awaited 5 star review :(
Image

pauldrach
Let's Get It On
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:42 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby pauldrach » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:55 am

Nic Jones has already been mentioned. Anyway, I always thought it weird that both he and Dick Gaughan had only one album each on AM ("Penguin Eggs" and "Handful of Earth") even though their previous work is just as good. I recommend "Ballads and Songs", "Nic Jones", "The Noah's Ark Trap" and "From the Devil to a Stranger" for Jones; "No More Forever", "Kist o' Gold" and "Gaughan" for Gaughan.

Also, whereas Fairport Convention and The Pentangle are well represented on AM, it's a shame that the same cannot be said about Steeleye Span, who have only one bubbler and it's not even their best. Maybe it's because they were poppier than the two aforementioned bands? "Hark! The Village Wait", "Below the Salt" and "Parcel of Rogues" are all essential classics of English folk-rock.

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1794
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Harold » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:48 pm

Since this thread now exists as a repository for great albums not on AM, it seems like a good place for this exercise, which I've been doing for a while now. After the AM update was posted, I combined it with the then-current top 5000 albums lists from Best Ever Albums and Rate Your Music using a reverse-points system (I assigned all of the AM Bubbling Under albums a flat point total of 4001). I won't post the entire list here, but for purposes of this thread here are the top 100 albums that are not on AM at all (either in the top 3000 or as bubblers). It's not my opinion per se, although I do own and enjoy many of these.

1 / The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me / Brand New / 2006
2 / Deathconsciousness / Have A Nice Life / 2008
3 / 98.12.28 Otokotachi No Wakare / Fishmans / 1999
4 / In Absentia / Porcupine Tree / 2002
5 / Long Season / Fishmans / 1996
6 / American Football / American Football / 1999
7 / Hemispheres / Rush / 1978
8 / The Mollusk / Ween / 1997
9 / Mirage / Camel / 1974
10 / Mm.. Food / MF DOOM / 2004
11 / Fear Of A Blank Planet / Porcupine Tree / 2007
12 / California / Mr. Bungle / 1999
13 / Deadwing / Porcupine Tree / 2005
14 / The Mantle / Agalloch / 2002
15 / Symbolic / Death / 1995
16 / Piece Of Mind / Iron Maiden / 1983
17 / A Farewell To Kings / Rush / 1977
18 / Pastel Blues / Nina Simone / 1965
19 / Live At Massey Hall 1971 / Neil Young / 2007
20 / Relayer / Yes / 1974
21 / Alive 2007 / Daft Punk / 2007
22 / Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory / Dream Theater / 1999
23 / Artaud / Pescado Rabioso / 1973
24 / Panopticon / Isis / 2004
25 / Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished / Avey Tare & Panda Bear / 2000
26 / Still Life / Opeth / 1999
27 / Journey In Satchidananda / Alice Coltrane / 1971
28 / Damnation / Opeth / 2003
29 / Moonmadness / Camel / 1976
30 / Somewhere In Time / Iron Maiden / 1986
31 / White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity / Swans / 1991
32 / Saturation III / Brockhampton / 2017
33 / Roseland NYC Live / Portishead / 1998
34 / Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous / Big L / 1995
35 / Filosofem / Burzum / 1996
36 / The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid / Stars Of The Lid / 2001
37 / Stained Class / Judas Priest / 1978
38 / Flood / Boris / 2000
39 / Exuma / Exuma / 1970
40 / Wrong / NoMeansNo / 1989
41 / Stupid Dream / Porcupine Tree / 1999
42 / MTV Unplugged / Alice In Chains / 1996
43 / Cold Fact / Rodriguez / 1970
44 / Plastic Surgery Disasters / Dead Kennedys / 1982
45 / Still Life / Van Der Graaf Generator / 1976
46 / Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquieme Saison / Harmonium / 1975
47 / The Ape Of Naples / Coil / 2005
48 / Lightbulb Sun / Porcupine Tree / 2000
49 / Defenders Of The Faith / Judas Priest / 1984
50 / All Hail West Texas / Mountain Goats / 2002
51 / Lorca / Tim Buckley / 1970
52 / Pygmalion / Slowdive / 1995
53 / Static Age / Misfits / 1997
54 / Octopus / Gentle Giant / 1972
55 / Clutching At Straws / Marillion / 1987
56 / The Allman Brothers Band / Allman Brothers Band / 1969
57 / Oceanic / Isis / 2002
58 / Alchemy / Dire Straits / 1984
59 / Velocity : Design : Comfort / Sweet Trip / 2003
60 / The Powers That B / Death Grips / 2015
61 / Blowout Comb / Digable Planets / 1994
62 / Dopesmoker / Sleep / 2003
63 / Quebec / Ween / 2003
64 / J.S. Bach: The Goldberg Variations / Glenn Gould / 1956
65 / '77 Live / Les Rallizes Denudes / 1991
66 / Lanquidity / Sun Ra / 1978
67 / He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corner Of Our Rooms... / A Silver Mt. Zion / 2000
68 / Don't Break The Oath / Mercyful Fate / 1984
69 / Stratosphere / Duster / 1998
70 / Countdown To Extinction / Megadeth / 1992
71 / Seconds Out / Genesis / 1977
72 / Judgement / Anathema / 1999
73 / Bergtatt - Et Eventyr I 5 Capitler / Ulver / 1995
74 / Ewa Demarczyk Spiewa Piosenki Zygmunta Koniecznego / Ewa Demarczyk / 1967
75 / Hvis Lyset Tar Oss / Burzum / 1994
76 / Live At Reading / Nirvana / 2009
77 / Teenage Snuff Film / Rowland S. Howard / 1999
78 / Ashes Against The Grain / Agalloch / 2006
79 / The Sound Of Perseverance / Death / 1998
80 / Human / Death / 1991
81 / The Great Annihilator / Swans / 1995
82 / Rossz Csillag Alatt Szuletett / Venetian Snares / 2005
83 / Brave New World / Iron Maiden / 2000
84 / Hybris / Anglagard / 1992
85 / Scheherazade And Other Stories / Renaissance / 1975
86 / The Dance Of The Moon And The Sun / Natural Snow Buildings / 2006
87 / Yessongs / Yes / 1973
88 / Nightfall In Middle-Earth / Blind Guardian / 1998
89 / Hammersmith Odeon London '75 / Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band / 2006
90 / Al Final De Este Viaje / Silvio Rodriguez / 1978
91 / Pulse / Pink Floyd / 1995
92 / Per Un Amico / Premiata Forneria Marconi / 1972
93 / Modal Soul / Nujabes / 2005
94 / 101 / Depeche Mode / 1989
95 / Demons & Wizards / Uriah Heep / 1972
96 / Twin Fantasy (Mirror To Mirror) / Car Seat Headrest / 2011
97 / October Rust / Type O Negative / 1996
98 / El Jardin De Los Presentes / Invisible / 1976
99 / Altars Of Madness / Morbid Angel / 1989
100 / Nina Simone Sings The Blues / Nina Simone / 1967

Jackson
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 865
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:05 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Jackson » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Wolf Alice's two albums (2015's My Love is Cool and especially 2017's Visions of a Life) are some glaring recent omissions for me. They are almost completely unnoticed by critics in the U.S., which is a shame as they should be heralded as one of the best active rock bands.

Also Ween is incredibly underrated on AM. For a group as interesting and prolific as they are, it's a joke that they only have one album listed and are outside the top 1000 artists. 1997's The Mollusk is the strangest omission to me with its catchy songs and unique concept, but Zoloft (2003) and White Pepper (2000) deserve spots as well.

DaveC
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:04 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby DaveC » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Gentle Giant remain completely absent from AM. Their first seven albums are highly rated by non-critics. "Octopus" ranks at 54 on Harold's (very interesting) list, but the other six can't be far away from the top.

Camel have only "The Snow Goose" bubbling. The often referenced classic "Mirage" is one of the strangest omissions from AM. "Camel" and "Moonmadness" should be there too.

And then there is the album that I rate as good as 'Mirage': Misty in Roots - Live at Counter Eurovision '79

acr0320
Superunknown
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:22 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby acr0320 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:59 pm

I'm sure it's been brought up in other posts, but it's a shame how little love Latin albums get here. Soda Stereo has at least 3 or 4 albums that could make the AM list. Same for Cafe Tacvba with Re easily being the biggest one missing. It's criminal that Re isn't in the top 1000, let alone the top 3000.

There are other great Spanish artists out there, Juan Luis Guerra comes to mind, that deserve more love here too. Hell, Shakira has some excellent Latin albums, Donde Estan Los Ladrones especially. Even her english albums are better than they're given credit. I'd argue her Oral Fixation Vol. 2 is quite possibly the most ambitious mainstream pop album of the 21st century.

Outside of the Latin world, Kendrick Lamar's Section .80 belongs on the list, as does both Whip Smart and Whitechocolatespaceegg by Liz Phair. I'm sure there's a bunch more that I'm not thinking of, those are the ones that immediately came to mind for me

NPG0607
Start Me Up
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:00 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby NPG0607 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:24 am

Harold wrote:Since this thread now exists as a repository for great albums not on AM, it seems like a good place for this exercise, which I've been doing for a while now. After the AM update was posted, I combined it with the then-current top 5000 albums lists from Best Ever Albums and Rate Your Music using a reverse-points system (I assigned all of the AM Bubbling Under albums a flat point total of 4001). I won't post the entire list here, but for purposes of this thread here are the top 100 albums that are not on AM at all (either in the top 3000 or as bubblers). It's not my opinion per se, although I do own and enjoy many of these.

1 / The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me / Brand New / 2006
2 / Deathconsciousness / Have A Nice Life / 2008
3 / 98.12.28 Otokotachi No Wakare / Fishmans / 1999
4 / In Absentia / Porcupine Tree / 2002
5 / Long Season / Fishmans / 1996
6 / American Football / American Football / 1999
7 / Hemispheres / Rush / 1978
8 / The Mollusk / Ween / 1997
9 / Mirage / Camel / 1974
10 / Mm.. Food / MF DOOM / 2004
11 / Fear Of A Blank Planet / Porcupine Tree / 2007
12 / California / Mr. Bungle / 1999
13 / Deadwing / Porcupine Tree / 2005
14 / The Mantle / Agalloch / 2002
15 / Symbolic / Death / 1995
16 / Piece Of Mind / Iron Maiden / 1983
17 / A Farewell To Kings / Rush / 1977
18 / Pastel Blues / Nina Simone / 1965
19 / Live At Massey Hall 1971 / Neil Young / 2007
20 / Relayer / Yes / 1974
21 / Alive 2007 / Daft Punk / 2007
22 / Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory / Dream Theater / 1999
23 / Artaud / Pescado Rabioso / 1973
24 / Panopticon / Isis / 2004
25 / Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished / Avey Tare & Panda Bear / 2000
26 / Still Life / Opeth / 1999
27 / Journey In Satchidananda / Alice Coltrane / 1971
28 / Damnation / Opeth / 2003
29 / Moonmadness / Camel / 1976
30 / Somewhere In Time / Iron Maiden / 1986
31 / White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity / Swans / 1991
32 / Saturation III / Brockhampton / 2017
33 / Roseland NYC Live / Portishead / 1998
34 / Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous / Big L / 1995
35 / Filosofem / Burzum / 1996
36 / The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid / Stars Of The Lid / 2001
37 / Stained Class / Judas Priest / 1978
38 / Flood / Boris / 2000
39 / Exuma / Exuma / 1970
40 / Wrong / NoMeansNo / 1989
41 / Stupid Dream / Porcupine Tree / 1999
42 / MTV Unplugged / Alice In Chains / 1996
43 / Cold Fact / Rodriguez / 1970
44 / Plastic Surgery Disasters / Dead Kennedys / 1982
45 / Still Life / Van Der Graaf Generator / 1976
46 / Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquieme Saison / Harmonium / 1975
47 / The Ape Of Naples / Coil / 2005
48 / Lightbulb Sun / Porcupine Tree / 2000
49 / Defenders Of The Faith / Judas Priest / 1984
50 / All Hail West Texas / Mountain Goats / 2002
51 / Lorca / Tim Buckley / 1970
52 / Pygmalion / Slowdive / 1995
53 / Static Age / Misfits / 1997
54 / Octopus / Gentle Giant / 1972
55 / Clutching At Straws / Marillion / 1987
56 / The Allman Brothers Band / Allman Brothers Band / 1969
57 / Oceanic / Isis / 2002
58 / Alchemy / Dire Straits / 1984
59 / Velocity : Design : Comfort / Sweet Trip / 2003
60 / The Powers That B / Death Grips / 2015
61 / Blowout Comb / Digable Planets / 1994
62 / Dopesmoker / Sleep / 2003
63 / Quebec / Ween / 2003
64 / J.S. Bach: The Goldberg Variations / Glenn Gould / 1956
65 / '77 Live / Les Rallizes Denudes / 1991
66 / Lanquidity / Sun Ra / 1978
67 / He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corner Of Our Rooms... / A Silver Mt. Zion / 2000
68 / Don't Break The Oath / Mercyful Fate / 1984
69 / Stratosphere / Duster / 1998
70 / Countdown To Extinction / Megadeth / 1992
71 / Seconds Out / Genesis / 1977
72 / Judgement / Anathema / 1999
73 / Bergtatt - Et Eventyr I 5 Capitler / Ulver / 1995
74 / Ewa Demarczyk Spiewa Piosenki Zygmunta Koniecznego / Ewa Demarczyk / 1967
75 / Hvis Lyset Tar Oss / Burzum / 1994
76 / Live At Reading / Nirvana / 2009
77 / Teenage Snuff Film / Rowland S. Howard / 1999
78 / Ashes Against The Grain / Agalloch / 2006
79 / The Sound Of Perseverance / Death / 1998
80 / Human / Death / 1991
81 / The Great Annihilator / Swans / 1995
82 / Rossz Csillag Alatt Szuletett / Venetian Snares / 2005
83 / Brave New World / Iron Maiden / 2000
84 / Hybris / Anglagard / 1992
85 / Scheherazade And Other Stories / Renaissance / 1975
86 / The Dance Of The Moon And The Sun / Natural Snow Buildings / 2006
87 / Yessongs / Yes / 1973
88 / Nightfall In Middle-Earth / Blind Guardian / 1998
89 / Hammersmith Odeon London '75 / Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band / 2006
90 / Al Final De Este Viaje / Silvio Rodriguez / 1978
91 / Pulse / Pink Floyd / 1995
92 / Per Un Amico / Premiata Forneria Marconi / 1972
93 / Modal Soul / Nujabes / 2005
94 / 101 / Depeche Mode / 1989
95 / Demons & Wizards / Uriah Heep / 1972
96 / Twin Fantasy (Mirror To Mirror) / Car Seat Headrest / 2011
97 / October Rust / Type O Negative / 1996
98 / El Jardin De Los Presentes / Invisible / 1976
99 / Altars Of Madness / Morbid Angel / 1989
100 / Nina Simone Sings The Blues / Nina Simone / 1967

Huge Thanks for this List!

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1794
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Harold » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:13 pm

DaveC wrote:Gentle Giant remain completely absent from AM. Their first seven albums are highly rated by non-critics. "Octopus" ranks at 54 on Harold's (very interesting) list, but the other six can't be far away from the top.


When I expand that list to 200, The Power and the Glory and In a Glass House are included.

NPG0607
Start Me Up
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:00 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby NPG0607 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:01 am

Harold wrote:
DaveC wrote:Gentle Giant remain completely absent from AM. Their first seven albums are highly rated by non-critics. "Octopus" ranks at 54 on Harold's (very interesting) list, but the other six can't be far away from the top.


When I expand that list to 200, The Power and the Glory and In a Glass House are included.

Are UGK‘s Ridin' Dirty,Game Theory's two albums and Captain Beyond's debut in it too?Just Curious

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1794
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Harold » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:32 am

NPG0607 wrote:
Harold wrote:When I expand that list to 200, The Power and the Glory and In a Glass House are included.


Are UGK‘s Ridin' Dirty, Game Theory's two albums and Captain Beyond's debut in it too?Just Curious


Ridin' Dirty is. The Captain Beyond album is in the top 5000 on both sites, but doesn't make this top 200.

NPG0607
Start Me Up
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:00 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby NPG0607 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:49 am

Harold wrote:
NPG0607 wrote:
Harold wrote:When I expand that list to 200, The Power and the Glory and In a Glass House are included.


Are UGK‘s Ridin' Dirty, Game Theory's two albums and Captain Beyond's debut in it too?Just Curious


Ridin' Dirty is. The Captain Beyond album is in the top 5000 on both sites, but doesn't make this top 200.

Game Theory isn't that well received on RYM,so I guess it doesn't make the top 200,either.

NPG0607
Start Me Up
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:00 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby NPG0607 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:27 am

Harold wrote:
NPG0607 wrote:
Harold wrote:When I expand that list to 200, The Power and the Glory and In a Glass House are included.


Are UGK‘s Ridin' Dirty, Game Theory's two albums and Captain Beyond's debut in it too?Just Curious


Ridin' Dirty is. The Captain Beyond album is in the top 5000 on both sites, but doesn't make this top 200.

Could i ask for 101-200?I'm currently trying to discover good music that i haven't heard of.Either way thank you very much

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1794
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Harold » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:30 am

NPG0607 wrote:Could i ask for 101-200?I'm currently trying to discover good music that i haven't heard of.Either way thank you very much


I'll do #101-185. Below that we start getting albums that only appear on either BEA's or RYM's top 5000. Note that the re-recording of Twin Fantasy, a 2018 release, is #115; presumably it will do well enough on the EOY lists that it will place in a hypothetical future site update.

101 / De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas / Mayhem / 1994
102 / Songs About Leaving / Carissa's Wierd / 2002
103 / Swans Are Dead / Swans / 1998
104 / Lizard / King Crimson / 1970
105 / Time / Electric Light Orchestra / 1981
106 / Blue Bell Knoll / Cocteau Twins / 1988
107 / Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow / Rainbow / 1975
108 / Os Afro-Sambas De Baden E Vinicius / Baden Powell & Vinicius de Moraes / 1966
109 / Wildhoney / Tiamat / 1994
110 / Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill / Grouper / 2008
111 / The Fountain (Music From The Motion Picture) / Clint Mansell With Kronos Quartet And Mogwai / 2006
112 / Frizzle Fry / Primus / 1990
113 / Darwin! / Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso / 1972
114 / Above / Mad Season / 1995
115 / Twin Fantasy (Face To Face) / Car Seat Headrest / 2018
116 / Confield / Autechre / 2001
117 / Into The Wild / Eddie Vedder / 2007
118 / The Last In Line / Dio / 1984
119 / Good / Morphine / 1992
120 / You / Gong / 1974
121 / Awake / Dream Theater / 1994
122 / The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory / Makaveli / 1996
123 / Blues / Jimi Hendrix Experience / 1994
124 / From Mars To Sirius / Gojira / 2005
125 / On Avery Island / Neutral Milk Hotel / 1996
126 / The Lioness / Songs: Ohia / 2000
127 / Deja Entendu / Brand New / 2003
128 / Cowboy Bebop / Seatbelts / 1998
129 / Propaganda / Sparks / 1974
130 / Obscura / Gorguts / 1998
131 / Signify / Porcupine Tree / 1996
132 / If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You / Caravan / 1970
133 / Bocanada / Gustavo Cerati / 1999
134 / Sleep's Holy Mountain / Sleep / 1992
135 / Slaughter Of The Soul / At The Gates / 1995
136 / Montrose / Montrose / 1973
137 / Heavy Horses / Jethro Tull / 1978
138 / Leftoverture / Kansas / 1976
139 / Melissa / Mercyful Fate / 1983
140 / Individual Thought Patterns / Death / 1993
141 / Frengers / Mew / 2003
142 / Non Al Denaro, Non All'amore Ne Al Cielo / Fabrizio De Andre / 1971
143 / Perdition City / Ulver / 2000
144 / Marbles / Marillion / 2004
145 / To Our Children's Children's Children / Moody Blues / 1969
146 / No Love Deep Web / Death Grips / 2012
147 / Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde / Alcest / 2007
148 / Signals / Rush / 1982
149 / Blood Visions / Jay Reatard / 2006
150 / The Bootleg Series Vols. 1-3 (Rare & Unreleased) 1961-1991 / Bob Dylan / 1991
151 / Mob Rules / Black Sabbath / 1981
152 / Look At Yourself / Uriah Heep / 1971
153 / The Power And The Glory / Gentle Giant / 1974
154 / Voyage Of The Acolyte / Steve Hackett / 1975
155 / Second Life Syndrome / Riverside / 2005
156 / La Ley Innata / Extremoduro / 2008
157 / In A Glass House / Gentle Giant / 1973
158 / Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds / Jeff Wayne / 1978
159 / Mutter / Rammstein / 2001
160 / Ridin' Dirty / UGK / 1996
161 / Boris At Last: -Feedbacker- / Boris / 2003
162 / Enigmatic / Czeslaw Niemen / 1970
163 / The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) / Steven Wilson / 2013
164 / Innuendo / Queen / 1991
165 / Clarity / Jimmy Eat World / 1999
166 / Friday Night In San Francisco / Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin & Paco de Lucia / 1981
167 / Dolmen Music / Meredith Monk / 1981
168 / A Divina Comedia Ou Ando Meio Desligado / Os Mutantes / 1970
169 / Akuma No Uta / Boris / 2003
170 / Morningrise / Opeth / 1996
171 / A Blaze In The Northern Sky / Darkthrone / 1992
172 / Energy / Operation Ivy / 1989
173 / Bath / Maudlin Of The Well / 2001
174 / The Silent Corner And The Empty Stage / Peter Hammill / 1974
175 / Brave / Marillion / 1994
176 / La Buona Novella / Fabrizio De Andre / 1970
177 / Alucinacao / Belchior / 1976
178 / Henryk Gorecki: Symphony No. 3 / David Zinman / Dawn Upshaw / London Sinfonietta / 1992
179 / Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part 1 / Helloween / 1987
180 / Peace & Love / Dadawah / 1974
181 / Victorialand / Cocteau Twins / 1986
182 / Fugazi / Marillion / 1984
183 / Disco Volante / Mr. Bungle / 1995
184 / Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part 2 / Helloween / 1988
185 / Colors / Between The Buried And Me / 2007

NPG0607
Start Me Up
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:00 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby NPG0607 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:38 am

Harold wrote:
NPG0607 wrote:Could i ask for 101-200?I'm currently trying to discover good music that i haven't heard of.Either way thank you very much


I'll do #101-185. Below that we start getting albums that only appear on either BEA's or RYM's top 5000. Note that the re-recording of Twin Fantasy, a 2018 release, is #115; presumably it will do well enough on the EOY lists that it will place in a hypothetical future site update.

101 / De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas / Mayhem / 1994
102 / Songs About Leaving / Carissa's Wierd / 2002
103 / Swans Are Dead / Swans / 1998
104 / Lizard / King Crimson / 1970
105 / Time / Electric Light Orchestra / 1981
106 / Blue Bell Knoll / Cocteau Twins / 1988
107 / Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow / Rainbow / 1975
108 / Os Afro-Sambas De Baden E Vinicius / Baden Powell & Vinicius de Moraes / 1966
109 / Wildhoney / Tiamat / 1994
110 / Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill / Grouper / 2008
111 / The Fountain (Music From The Motion Picture) / Clint Mansell With Kronos Quartet And Mogwai / 2006
112 / Frizzle Fry / Primus / 1990
113 / Darwin! / Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso / 1972
114 / Above / Mad Season / 1995
115 / Twin Fantasy (Face To Face) / Car Seat Headrest / 2018
116 / Confield / Autechre / 2001
117 / Into The Wild / Eddie Vedder / 2007
118 / The Last In Line / Dio / 1984
119 / Good / Morphine / 1992
120 / You / Gong / 1974
121 / Awake / Dream Theater / 1994
122 / The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory / Makaveli / 1996
123 / Blues / Jimi Hendrix Experience / 1994
124 / From Mars To Sirius / Gojira / 2005
125 / On Avery Island / Neutral Milk Hotel / 1996
126 / The Lioness / Songs: Ohia / 2000
127 / Deja Entendu / Brand New / 2003
128 / Cowboy Bebop / Seatbelts / 1998
129 / Propaganda / Sparks / 1974
130 / Obscura / Gorguts / 1998
131 / Signify / Porcupine Tree / 1996
132 / If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You / Caravan / 1970
133 / Bocanada / Gustavo Cerati / 1999
134 / Sleep's Holy Mountain / Sleep / 1992
135 / Slaughter Of The Soul / At The Gates / 1995
136 / Montrose / Montrose / 1973
137 / Heavy Horses / Jethro Tull / 1978
138 / Leftoverture / Kansas / 1976
139 / Melissa / Mercyful Fate / 1983
140 / Individual Thought Patterns / Death / 1993
141 / Frengers / Mew / 2003
142 / Non Al Denaro, Non All'amore Ne Al Cielo / Fabrizio De Andre / 1971
143 / Perdition City / Ulver / 2000
144 / Marbles / Marillion / 2004
145 / To Our Children's Children's Children / Moody Blues / 1969
146 / No Love Deep Web / Death Grips / 2012
147 / Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde / Alcest / 2007
148 / Signals / Rush / 1982
149 / Blood Visions / Jay Reatard / 2006
150 / The Bootleg Series Vols. 1-3 (Rare & Unreleased) 1961-1991 / Bob Dylan / 1991
151 / Mob Rules / Black Sabbath / 1981
152 / Look At Yourself / Uriah Heep / 1971
153 / The Power And The Glory / Gentle Giant / 1974
154 / Voyage Of The Acolyte / Steve Hackett / 1975
155 / Second Life Syndrome / Riverside / 2005
156 / La Ley Innata / Extremoduro / 2008
157 / In A Glass House / Gentle Giant / 1973
158 / Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds / Jeff Wayne / 1978
159 / Mutter / Rammstein / 2001
160 / Ridin' Dirty / UGK / 1996
161 / Boris At Last: -Feedbacker- / Boris / 2003
162 / Enigmatic / Czeslaw Niemen / 1970
163 / The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) / Steven Wilson / 2013
164 / Innuendo / Queen / 1991
165 / Clarity / Jimmy Eat World / 1999
166 / Friday Night In San Francisco / Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin & Paco de Lucia / 1981
167 / Dolmen Music / Meredith Monk / 1981
168 / A Divina Comedia Ou Ando Meio Desligado / Os Mutantes / 1970
169 / Akuma No Uta / Boris / 2003
170 / Morningrise / Opeth / 1996
171 / A Blaze In The Northern Sky / Darkthrone / 1992
172 / Energy / Operation Ivy / 1989
173 / Bath / Maudlin Of The Well / 2001
174 / The Silent Corner And The Empty Stage / Peter Hammill / 1974
175 / Brave / Marillion / 1994
176 / La Buona Novella / Fabrizio De Andre / 1970
177 / Alucinacao / Belchior / 1976
178 / Henryk Gorecki: Symphony No. 3 / David Zinman / Dawn Upshaw / London Sinfonietta / 1992
179 / Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part 1 / Helloween / 1987
180 / Peace & Love / Dadawah / 1974
181 / Victorialand / Cocteau Twins / 1986
182 / Fugazi / Marillion / 1984
183 / Disco Volante / Mr. Bungle / 1995
184 / Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part 2 / Helloween / 1988
185 / Colors / Between The Buried And Me / 2007

Wow!Really appreciated that!Thanks a lot!

User avatar
Romain
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3470
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:25 pm
Location: Lyon, France

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Romain » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:22 am

The huge majority of major albums from non-English speaking countries I think :-)

DaveC
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:04 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby DaveC » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:59 am

Romain wrote:The huge majority of major albums from non-English speaking countries I think :-)


Very true.

User avatar
Romain
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3470
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:25 pm
Location: Lyon, France

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Romain » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:11 am

DaveC wrote:
Romain wrote:The huge majority of major albums from non-English speaking countries I think :-)


Very true.


Even if AM is already by far better than any other lists in this way. I want to make that clear. :P
Globally, for a non english language album to appear here, it must be in USA/UK lists too, which unfortunately leaves 95% of good albums outside.

User avatar
acroamor
Different Class
Posts: 473
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:16 pm
Location: Peachtree City, GA while at home, Los Angeles, CA while at college

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby acroamor » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Re: that big list, I've been on a huge ska kick lately and I'm glad to see that Energy by Operation Ivy is included there. Great album.

User avatar
BleuPanda
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3095
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:20 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby BleuPanda » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:43 pm

American Football is the one I always think of, though part of that perception is probably skewed by living in the same town as where the band formed. But seeing it at #6 on the list Harold provided suggests I'm not alone. I'd certainly take them over the other two Urbana-Champaign bands who do already have representation (REO Speedwagon and Hum).

User avatar
andyd1010
Unquestionable Presence
Posts: 665
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:08 am

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby andyd1010 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:30 pm

Interesting that Brand New is No. 1 on this list. Did critics know about Jesse Lacey's transgressions back in 2006? I know that's what kept their last album off AM after great initial reviews. I've always liked their music, and Deja Entendu (127 on the list) is one of my favorite albums.

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1794
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby Harold » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:46 pm

andyd1010 wrote:Interesting that Brand New is No. 1 on this list. Did critics know about Jesse Lacey's transgressions back in 2006? I know that's what kept their last album off AM after great initial reviews. I've always liked their music, and Deja Entendu (127 on the list) is one of my favorite albums.


What's interesting is that Science Fiction is actually the one BN album that is on AM - it's Bubbling Under. The band's near-complete absence from critics' lists prior to this certainly has nothing to do with what's come out about Lacey within the last year - for whatever reason their albums just didn't receive that kind of attention.

User avatar
luvulongTIM
Different Class
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:14 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Albums that were really great in your opinion but didn't make it in AM?

Postby luvulongTIM » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:20 am

Are we ever gonna do a poll on unacclaimed artists or albums? Maybe have one bubbler artist or album for every 10. If it were all around artists or bands I’d bet Blonde Redhead would top the list. Just a feeling.
Image


Return to “Music, music, music...”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kritof and 108 guests