Playlist: A Taste of Acclaimed Albums (work in progress)

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: Playlist: A Taste of Acclaimed Albums (work in progress)

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:52 am

Henrik wrote:
Rob wrote:By the way, does anybody keep track of albums being removed from Spotify? My last update I noticed I was missing three songs all of a sudden, but the fault wasn't in that update (and I always check if the count is still correct after each update). I can't figure out a quick way to decide which album has gone missing, so perhaps someone knows before I have to through the whole list to find the missing songs.

Go to settings and tick off hide unplayable tracks. I don’t know how many people I have told this over years - why isn’t this setting standard?

Thanks, but this is not what I mean. Whether or not the tracks are visible has no bearing on the song count you can see displayed at the top of the page. What happened was that suddenly the song amount went down with three, which gives me the impression that three songs previously on Spotify have been completely removed (or maybe replaced, which happens sometimes).

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:43 pm

Today I updated from #1262 (EPMD's Strictly Business) to #1298 (Kate Bush' The Dreaming).

Note: I rant a lot here about albums that appear in strange or bad ways on Spotify, but today I have the album that takes the cake. I'm talking, of course, about Escalator Over the Hill, by Carla Bley and Paul Haines, two people rumored to be evil demons out to destroy the internet. You see, this album hasn't adapted to the digital age. It's not on Spotify, but if you think there is only one track of the album on YouTube or Vimeo, well think again. Still, I want three tracks present on my playlist to represent this so-called album and because I don't buy "Experimental big band" albums blindly, I had to make do with some unplayable live tracks of songs off the album, mostly by others than Bley and Haines. I don't like it this way, but there simply are nasty people out there who hate this project.

Alright, back to strictly business, with EPMD:
Question: If these guys are strictly business, are these business suits?

One of those acts I never heard of, or at least I think. Acronym names in general tend to be easily forgotten and this is no exception. EPMD stands for Erick and Parrish Making Dollars. Deep. This is another old school hip hop record, like my last entry. It is very likeable on a first listen, with the goofy The Steve Martin and the appealing You Gots to Chill.

Because we are on a new page I post the playlist again, to have it on the top of each page:

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Rob » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:20 pm

Today I went from #1299 (Devendra Banhart's Rejoicing in the Hands) to #1334 (Derrick May's Innovator).

A simple update. No news (or irritations).

Perhaps everything went so smooth because I had the calm Devendra Banhart's Rejoicing in the Hands on:
Devendra Banhart, rejoicing in his hand.

So, I had heard of Devendra Banhart before, but knew nothing about him. To my ears Devendra is a woman's name (not that I know any actually named that), so I was surprised that suddenly I heard a man singing. His voice is actually a blessing and a curse. Sometimes he knew to draw my attention away from this project and onto his lyrics, no small feat. At other times he sings with certain affectation I also find in the singer of Alt-J, where they phrase in a way as if they wanted to be thought of as supercute or something. This tends to annoy me. The playing and the lyrics as far as I got them were good though.

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:37 pm

Today I updated from #1335 (Mitski's puberty 2) to #1356 (Mary J. Blige's My Life).

A short update yes, but Puberty 2 is a short album. The next one will be quite long though.

Well, here it is Puberty 2 by Mitski:
Mitski's pink guitar music doesn't sound as cute and sweet as it looks.

One of my favorite albums of recent years and finally once again one I'm quite familiar with. As said, it is a short album and the songs themselves are very short too, as is always the case with Mitski. She has mastered the art of saying a lot in very little time. Despite their sometimes ridiculously short length these songs never feel tossed-of. Mitski's songs feel like personal and frequently intense burst of emotion. I love her the most when her guitar rages along (something which is dropped on Be the Cowboy), even if her powerful, deep voice (which somewhat belies her looks) is her real weapon. By the way, the three albums she released before this one are great too and are in the same mold. Hopefully the success of this album and the one after it will bring people back to these early releases.

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:32 pm

Today I updated from #1357 (Cesária Évora's Miss Perfumado) to #1400 (The Decemberist's The Crane Wife).

So recently I noted that some songs had gone missing from the count. Now far more had vanished, it startled me a bit. I did a quick scroll through the list and noted that quite a few albums as well as some songs have been removed from Spotify, including Tubular Bells, The Köln Concert by Keith Jarrett again (although the last tracks is still there) and others. Broken Social Scene basically has some songs taken out (did someone from that supergroup not want the songs written by him or her on Spotify anymore?) which looks odd. Coltrane's Ascension has been removed, but also re-added in a different way.
I don't have the time today to look all changes up and fix it (I only fixed Coltrane, in fact), but I will probably in the weekend. It puts a downer on this project, noticing once again how much depends on the whimsical nature of the music industry.

For now, let's think back about listening to Cesária Évira's Miss Perfumado:
Cesária "Miss Perfumado" Évira, because you're worth it!

I hadn't heard of Évira before she was tauted by some in our current nineties poll. She is from Cape Verde and sings in a genre specific for that country, Morna, of which I also never heard before. It basically an album of soulful, quiet ballads in Portuguese. It is very pleasant to listen to and Évira has an appealing voice, which can evoke a lot of emotion while seeming to do very little (though I think this is hard work to sing). As frequently with this type of music in a for me unfamiliar language I feel that I miss something because I don't get the lyrics, but the music is universal. I can certainly see why this is acclaimed.

bootsy
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby bootsy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:14 am

Good stuff Rob.

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:50 pm

Today I updated from #1401 (Nick Cave & the Bad Seed's Your Funeral... My Trial) to #1432 (John Lee Hooker's The Healer).

It's been a slow week for updating, thanks to work. It'll remain this way until mid-November, when I hope to pick up te pace again. Tomorrow there should be another update, though.

Today I listened to Your Funeral... My Trial, but Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds:
They took him to court, but apparently let him go. Understandable; who doesn't trust this guy?

The second Nick Cave album to appear in this series (though I added many more to the playlist and there are still several to come). The title of this one is almost a joke, as it would fit half of his albums and songs. I hadn't heard this one before and neither one of the songs on it. I'm quite familiar with anything he put out from The Good Son on, but hardly know anything from before that (in more clear words: only The Mercy Seat). Despite this I knew that a lot of his earlier work was harsher in sound and if this album is anything to go by that seems right. It doesn't necessarily rock harder or anything, but it has a very ramshackle feel about it. If Nick Cave told us he and the band were destroying stuff while recording I would believe them. And there is the way Cave phrases his lyrics: very much in character and very threatening. I should pay attention to this part of his output more often.

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Today I updates from #1433 (Terence Trent d'Arby's Introducing the Hardline According to Terence Trent D'Arby) to #1461 (Serge Gainsbourg's L'homme à tête de chou).

Slow update. Lot of albums with some difficulties attached to it. Too stumped to talk about it.

Terence Trent d'Arby. I don't have anything else to say about it.

This album surprised me in a positive way. For some reason I suspected one of those pop albums with the hits and a lot of filler, but this is one is pretty consistent. The hits have somewhat faded from radio I think, so I hadn't heard them in some time, but they have retained their original appeal. Other tracks are varied and catchy enough to make an impression. Perhaps one of the better popular albums of those days.

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:24 pm

Today I updated from #1462 (Santogold's Santogold) to #1496 (Average White Band's AWB).

Some bumps along the road, but not enough to come close to a big landmark: the halfway point! Next time we'll get there!

And the journey is a pleasant one when you get to listen to Santogold's Santogold (due to legal disputes currently known as Santigold's Santigold):
This golden woman buys your gold, but still goes shopping in your ordinary supermarket so it seems.

Hell yeah! This album was one of my submissions in the Moderately Acclaimed Albums poll last year and once I get around making an actual album top 100 this will surely be in the top 25. Simply put, this is one of my favorite feelgood album. A real pop record, but also a very weird one. Santigold has a curious voice that I adore and she takes it all over the place here. The songs are full of off-beat hooks that always threaten to become annoying, but instead are sheer joy! Sadly, none of her subsequent albums did anything for me, but at least we have this one, that pleased me for yet another listen!

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Rob » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:29 pm

Today, I updated from #1497 (Jackson Browne's Jackson Browne (Saturate Before Using)) to #1527 (Booker T. & The MG's Green Onions).

Milestone: HALFWAY POINT!!! :music-guitarred: :happy-partydance: :music-guitarred:
It took me about 3 months to get here. I want to finish this before the year ends, which seems a bit unlikely. I'm not gonna rush things, but whereas the last few weeks have slowed this process down due to limited free time, I actually expect to have more space for this in the second half of November and December. We'll see.

Now back to guy I listened to, Jackson Browne, with his Jackson Browne (Saturated Before Using):
Looking very saturated there, Mr. Browne.

Jackson Browne is one of those artists I've listened to in the past, but not too much. I've noticed that he is one of those guys who needs a couple of listens to let songs land. At first he seems like your ordinary singer-songwriter, but after a while the feeling behind the lyrics and singing sinks in. That's why it is hard to trust my first reaction to this album: it feels rather standard when listening to it as a sort of background music. But there might be more there.

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Rob » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:37 pm

Today I updated from #1528 (Mink DeVille's Cabretta) to #1553 (Ice Cube's Death Certificate).

Painful milestone: Big Joe Turner's album The Boss of the Blues is easily the least listened to album on Spotify up to now. Not that I kept score or something, but this album has only one track with over a 1000 streams, while even the less popular albums had only a few of those. Is this a classic that will drop off over the years? Will Big Joe Turner be one of the first old rock & roll stars to be forgotten by time? Who can tell, although looking at his Spotify profile to his most popular songs things don't look good for him. It's a terrible showing all around.

Speaking of forgettable artists, how about the one I listened to today, Mink DeVille with his Cabretta:
Despite what mister DeVille wants you to believe, cabretta leather, used mostly for shoes and gloves, are not actually made of mink.

Yes, I just said above that Mink DeVille is somewhat forgettable. Of course his hit Spanish Stroll, included in this album stays in the mind, but even that one doesn't feel all that special. This album is filled with songs that aren't so much bad as well as just kind of unremarkable and maybe a bit facile. I guess he was popular for a while and maybe he still is with some people, but there are few albums here I really can't guess the reason for why it is included here. And that is even including albums I don't like.

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Rob » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:22 pm

By the way, because of work I have to take a little break here. I won't be updating until Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Return to “Music, music, music...”