AMF WC Classics Edition 18

AMF WC Classics Edition

Poll ended at Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:43 pm

Janelle Monae - Cold War
9%
Fiona Apple - Hot Knife
6%
Curtis Mayfield - Move on Up (Extended Version)
6%
Charles Mingus - Track C Group Dancers
4%
Elton John - Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
5%
The Carpenters - Superstar
4%
Marlena Shaw - California Soul
6%
France Gall - Poupée de Cire, Poupée de Son
7%
Lana Del Rey - Ride
7%
Marina & The Diamonds - Mowgli's Road
7%
Edith Piaf - La Foule
5%
The Divine Comedy - Tonight We Fly
3%
Led Zeppelin - The Ocean
4%
Pierre Henry - Psyche Rock
4%
Built To Spill - Carry The Zero
3%
Go West - King of Wishful Thinking
2%
Benny Mardones - Into the Night
3%
Pierro Umiliani - Mahna Mahna
5%
Bob Dylan - Jokerman
3%
The Adolescents - Who is Who
2%

Total votes: 94

spiritualized
Full of Fire

AMF WC Classics Edition 18

Post by spiritualized »

First of all, my most sincere apologies for the delay - I moved to the Southern region of France (near Toulouse), leaving my family in Blois (where they will stay until we sell the house :? ) As a result, new job and all, very little time for my favorite past time - the AM Forums. So my apologies for keeping you waiting...

Secondly, a huge drop of interest (-20 votes in a week) --> talk about this chart to your mates, girlfriends, partners in crime, whatever. It is more interesting if more people take part !

Welcome to instalment n°18 of the Classics Chart, where YOU get to nominate and vote for the best songs ever in a tournament to the death !

:scared-shocked: 77 votes last week (-20 votes)
:scared-shocked: Back to n°1 for Janelle Monae's Cold War
:scared-shocked: 4 new entries : Fiona Apple / Charles Mingus / Marina & the Diamonds / Edith Piaf
:text-bump: Cabaret Voltaire (equal ranking to BtS but lower ranking the previous week), Placebo and Sheena Ringo are kicked out this week !
:text-bump: No Hoffer this week

Built To Spill Carry The Zero doesn't seem to be available in Europe, here is the YT link
Enjoy voting for your favorite 10 songs... a difficult feat !

The AMF WC Classics Hall of Fame playlist :

Top Chart (number of weeks as n°1)

The Smiths - How Soon is Now (2)
Nina Simone - Feeling Good (2)
The Beach Boys - God Only Knows (4)
Annie - Heartbeat (1)
Stevie Wonder - Superstition (2)
Curtis Mayfield - Move on Up (Extended Version) (2)
France Gall - Poupée de Cire, Poupée de Son (1)
Janelle Monae - Cold War (4)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: AMF WC Classics Edition 18

Post by StevieFan13 »

Welcome back!
My nomination this week is: The Cranberries - Dreams
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Brad
Higher Ground

Post by Brad »

Elliott Smith - I Didn't Understand
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Thanks spiritualized for nominating my 3rd favorite Built to Spill song (top 200 or all time) ! I'd have kept it for late October though to give it a boost for the 1999 poll ;)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

spiritualized wrote: Secondly, a huge drop of interest (-20 votes in a week) --> talk about this chart to your mates, girlfriends, partners in crime, whatever. It is more interesting if more people take part !
The top 1000 song list plus the AM Moderately Acclaimed Albums game take up pretty all my listening time at the moment. Both will be a lesser factor after this week, so I hope I will give more time to both these charts.
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

Cutting Crew - '(I Just) Died In Your Arms'
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Violent Femmes - Life is a scream
Mulholland
Let's Get It On

Post by Mulholland »

COLORS by Utada Hikaru
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Françoise Hardy - Mon amie la rose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ICFtXx546A
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Nassim wrote:Thanks spiritualized for nominating my 3rd favorite Built to Spill song (top 200 or all time) ! I'd have kept it for late October though to give it a boost for the 1999 poll ;)
Aïe.. yes, I guess timing could have been better.
Tell me : what are the first two BTS songs at the top of your list ( and no, I don't mean the Korean Superstars)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

spiritualized wrote:
Nassim wrote:Thanks spiritualized for nominating my 3rd favorite Built to Spill song (top 200 or all time) ! I'd have kept it for late October though to give it a boost for the 1999 poll ;)
Aïe.. yes, I guess timing could have been better.
Tell me : what are the first two BTS songs at the top of your list ( and no, I don't mean the Korean Superstars)
Velvet Waltz is pretty much tied as my favorite song ever, and Broken Chairs always gets me right in the feelings (especially the whistled part for some reason).
Rdwdbob
Keep On Movin'

Post by Rdwdbob »

If Benny Mardones makes it through the next round is there any chance we can have the original version from the ‘Never Run Never Hide’ album on Spotify? It feels so much more emotional and vital than the watered down version posted here. Much appreciated. Great original track.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Brian Eno - Golden Hours
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Sad coincidence, but Steve Soto from the Adolescents passed away a few days ago. If you haven't listened to the band's debut, rush to your favorite streaming platform and cast an ear to one of the best punk albums of all time.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

So, I finally voted again. After some period where I only particapated every now and then, I think I can keep up again for hopefully a long time (well, I actually go on holiday in two weeks, so I won't vote then, but I hope you get what I mean).

But I want to give some feedback on this game. Last week 15 of the 20 songs progressed. One of them only got 2 votes. I know there were precious few nominations and votes, so that played into it, but I felt for some time that this game became too easy on songs. It loses a lot of point as well as excitement if so many of them make it to another week. I think if the rule that only 10 progresses becomes a hard line it would be a much more interesting game. This means you have to fill up the list yourself if there are no nominations of course. Maybe you could do it by picking random songs from the top 10.000.

Another idea, that could be done soon, is perhaps picking random songs that only get one vote in the current song poll. That would be a nice way to pick obscure gems that are possibly unknown.

Of course, these are only suggestions. Do with it what you will. Any thoughts on this?

Oh, and I'll nominate what is perhaps the least known song in my own top 1000:
The Shanghai Restoration Project - dark HORSE
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Thanks for your input Rob, I think it boils down to two things :

1- Either this is a project to identify the most "popular" songs amongst the huge universe of music and therefore allow songs to push through if there are too few nominations (something I am really quite surprised about... I thought we would be rife with noms)
2- Or it's a discovery channel for favorite songs, which get the spotlight for a few weeks and disappear again.

Initially I thought the first goal was the right one, hence the qualification of songs which would not have made it by the original chart rules. But it seems I was wrong - and indeed, qualifying with two votes shouldn't really happen.

I will try your suggestion and see what happens. I'd love some feedback from other forumers, if they wish to give it on this particular subject ?

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”