Update on the update

Henrik
Site Admin

Update on the update

Post by Henrik »

I think no one has asked yet, but maybe some of you have started to wonder when the next site update is going to happen. Since I announced that only include the 2017 end of year lists (both albums and songs) and no all-time lists would be added, some of you might have been thinking that the update would take place rather early in 2018. Well, at least that was what I was hoping myself.

Long time visitors are well aware that I have had problems with various pains (neck, back, feet...) probably coming from sedentary work in combination with stress and not enough sleep over many years. Since the last update in November I have spent much less time sitting in front of a computer screen and without doubt this has been good for me. However, after some rest it is only now that I have truly discovered how much tension I actually have around my shoulders. I am really trying now to get rid of the tensions and the pain. I think things are going in the right direction, but clearly this is nothing that changes overnight and I think it will only work if I almost completely stay away from my home pc. I still have a lot of sedentary work at my job (and there's not too much I can do about that unfortunately).

So, don't expect an update anytime soon. I hope you're all ok with that (but you definitely don't need to write all those nice things again :D).
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: Update on the update

Post by BleuPanda »

No worries - though I am kind of anticipating the day you hand this project over to others because I want to dive in and expand the album list to 5,000. In other words, I am excited to someday realize just how stressful running this has been all these years...
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Don't worry, Henrik, I understand if you don't finish the update this weekend, as long as it arrives next weekend ;)
Seriously and obviously: take your time.

Just a question about something I was unsure about, the last update didn't include any album lists outside of the EOY albums of 2015 and 2016 did it? And I suspect we don't get these next time?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Rob wrote:Just a question about something I was unsure about, the last update didn't include any album lists outside of the EOY albums of 2015 and 2016 did it? And I suspect we don't get these next time?
Hopefully the vast amount of album lists that have been put together by Pierre, StevieFan, lagire and others will be included at some point. But not this time.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Henrik wrote:
Rob wrote:Just a question about something I was unsure about, the last update didn't include any album lists outside of the EOY albums of 2015 and 2016 did it? And I suspect we don't get these next time?
Hopefully the vast amount of album lists that have been put together by Pierre, StevieFan, lagire and others will be included at some point. But not this time.
Here’s hoping. Doesn’t have to be tomorrow but those were a lot of hours.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik wrote:I hope you're all ok with that (but you definitely don't need to write all those nice things again :D).
Lately I've been aiming my life at other goals and interests, so I've retired from my activity on the forum. Therefore, I missed that moment, and this watershed of nice things was one I didn't partake in. So I'll do it now: THANK YOU for everything Henrik (since what... 2001? :o ). For having worked on the spreadsheets like crazy (I never want to do that again), I believe I've experienced a tiny tip of the iceberg that your work is, and I totally understand how you feel and that you may want to experience other things in life, not to mention take a well-deserved rest. I wish you the best for your future and I wish the best for the future of Acclaimed Music as well.
Henrik wrote:Hopefully the vast amount of album lists that have been put together by Pierre, StevieFan, lagire and others will be included at some point. But not this time.
It'd better be :twisted: It WAS crazy work. Still, since my interests have shifted for the time being, I'm fine with it not being tomorrow or even the day after that. But I really hope that at some point those efforts won't be lost permanently.
BleuPanda wrote:No worries - though I am kind of anticipating the day you hand this project over to others because I want to dive in and expand the album list to 5,000.
Last time I've seen the spreadsheet, it was between 35,000 and 40,000 albums long. There's definitely room for that :D
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Geez, I hope I don't seem like an asshole for not having posted anything nice in the last thread... and I hope I don't seem like one now, because I do have plenty of nice things to say – this website has enriched my life so much and I can't imagine how hard Henrik has worked to bring it to the music-loving community – but there's actually a more practical matter I wish to discuss right now.

In the spreadsheet for the all-time songs poll, I want to include information for the AM rank for the songs. However, since I believed the update would occur in Spring, I've so far held off on adding anything. However, with the further delay, I want to know if I should start adding them now or continue waiting? I'd expect the results to begin roll out at some point during August... Henrik, do you think the update would be ready around that time or earlier? If not, I'll add the current rankings, and if so, don't worry about holding off on updating for me – I want to accommodate to your plans, not the other way around.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
fuzzyitch
Superunknown

Post by fuzzyitch »

Am I the only one who thinks expanding the album list to 5,000 is a bad idea? At what point does this essential list of the all-time greatest LPs stop turning into a list of almost every single album that was ever mentioned by a critic, in a book or on a list? I'm happy for new albums replacing others from time to time with the updates, but I really don't need albums that dropped out of the Top 3,000 years ago to return at No. 4,789 because of an expansion.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

fuzzyitch wrote:Am I the only one who thinks expanding the album list to 5,000 is a bad idea? At what point does this essential list of the all-time greatest LPs stop turning into a list of almost every single album that was ever mentioned by a critic, in a book or on a list? I'm happy for new albums replacing others from time to time with the updates, but I really don't need albums that dropped out of the Top 3,000 years ago to return at No. 4,789 because of an expansion.
This discussion already happened several times before; it happened also when the songs list expanded. The thing is: whatever albums are at the top, they'll still be the most acclaimed of all time, so expanding the list doesn't negate the aim of the website in any way. Besides, you can trust me if I tell you that to be in the top 5000, an album will need to have some decent acclaim already (just one mention definitely won't be enough), there's an enormous amount of album lists in circulation and even though a good chunk revolves around those same albums that form the monolithic top 200 here, you'll have more than enough material to expand the list and still have some degree of relevance. For instance, there are albums in the bubblezone that have appeared in more lists than some at the very bottom of the current top 3000, and are only out because of the scope of those lists or their average ranking.

Other point: people doing a transversal exploration of music by artists, years or genres will be happy to find those deep cuts that are only known to specialized critics. And those will only be in the top 5000 because there'll be enough specialized critics who think these deep cuts are great albums. So in a way, you could say that those albums are still acclaimed, only by a narrower population of diggers. The purpose of the website would remain intact, and at the same time it would become a richer resource for music explorers. Everyone's a winner.

And besides, if you think that the bottom of the list is irrelevant to what you're expecting from this website, you can just ignore it. It's as simple as that.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I just see expanding the list as gaining more information. Adding 2000 more doesn't dilute the quality of the first 3000.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:In the spreadsheet for the all-time songs poll, I want to include information for the AM rank for the songs. However, since I believed the update would occur in Spring, I've so far held off on adding anything. However, with the further delay, I want to know if I should start adding them now or continue waiting? I'd expect the results to begin roll out at some point during August... Henrik, do you think the update would be ready around that time or earlier? If not, I'll add the current rankings, and if so, don't worry about holding off on updating for me – I want to accommodate to your plans, not the other way around.
I might make an update in the summer, but I can’t tell now. I’ll get back on this in July.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”