AMF Greatest Guilty Pleasure Songs of All Time (2018) Submissions Thread

Dexter
Movin' On Up

AMF Greatest Guilty Pleasure Songs of All Time (2018) Submissions Thread

Post by Dexter »

The AMF Greatest Guilty Pleasure Songs of All Time (2018)

Welcome to the first ever all-time guilty pleasure songs poll!

As to the rules:
1. Minimum 20 and maximum 100 songs (of course, you can post more but it will not count)
2. Any song is fair game. "Guilty pleasure" is after all highly subjective. Please refer to the discussion thread for AMFers thoughts on this poll.
3. Post your votes on this thread. No need to message me in private or email me. Let your freak flag fly. No guilt in posting anonymously, if you're friends with another AMFer your friendship will be tested :P.
4. Not mandatory but it will be greatly appreciated if you put in a few words regarding your choices.
5. Please post anything not related to votes (queries, suggestions, comments, issues, etc.) to the aforementioned separate thread.
6. The due date is flexible as long as there is enough votes for a meaningful rollout. I will bump this thread from time to time to remind you guys.
7. You can make changes to your list anytime before the deadline but post in this thread the fact that you changed your list.
8. I will use the formula from the recent polls ran by Bleu.
Last edited by Dexter on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Re: AMF Greatest Guilty Pleasure Songs of All Time (2008) Submissions Thread

Post by Jirin »

1. Chumbawumba - Tubthumper

I GET KNOCKED DOWN! THEN I GET UP AGAIN! IS IT EVER GONNA KEEP ME DOWN?

2. Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta

Yes, I do know all the lyrics. I don't know why they'd amputate his legs for a mental disorder though.

3. Spice Girls - Wannabe

So stupid, and no you can not stop listening to it. Give in, and LET IT INTO YOUR BRAIN!

4. The Offspring - Pretty Fly For A White Guy

Maybe some of the stupidest lyrics ever. But also fun and kind of has something to say about real life posers.

5. Beatles - Revolution 9

The novelty value of the song has kind of gone down in the electronic era of music, and it just sounds like some disconcerting weirdness. Yet somehow, can be transfixing to listen to all the way through.

6. Hanson - MMMBop

I actually liked this when I first heard it but was kind of turned against it when all my middle school friends were mocking it. Definition of a guilty pleasure.

7. White Town - Your Woman

Cool weird gender-bending song about bad relationships.

8. Maroon 5 - Moves Like Jagger

One of the catchiest pop songs ever.

9. Grinderman - No Pussy Blues

The most succinct song about male sexual frustration I've ever heard.

10. Seal - Kiss From A Rose

Like Wannabe it's one of those, "Give in, LET IT INTO YOUR BRAINNN!"

11. B-52s - Loveshack
12. Cake - I Will Survive
13. Squirrel Nut Zippers - Hell
14. Staind - Outside
15. Cake - Short Skirt, Long Jacket
16. Train - Hey, Soul Sister
17. Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse Of The Heart
18. Bob Dylan - Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts
19. The J Geils Band - Centerfold
20. The Offspring - Come Out And Play
21. Limp Bizkit - Faith
22. The Offspring - All I Want
23. Our Lady Peace - Clumsy
24. Cake - Sheep Go To Heaven
25. Busta Rhymes - Woo-hah
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Honorable Mentions:
- Kula Shaker - Tattva (Too musically interesting to totally write off, but it does have a lot of that classic '90s Britpop pretension, with a decent dash of cultural appropriation to boot)
- inCulto - Eastern European Funk (Because I can only have so many Eurovision songs)
- DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince - Boom! Shake the Room (Because it's a masterpiece and only stupid people dislike it.)
- Natalie Imbruglia - Torn (Borderline, but it's gotten enough respect in recent years to stay off)
100. Taylor Swift - Mean
Starting off tame with a catchy mid-table Taylor Swift offering. She's had bigger hits, but the contrast between the hummable melody and the sly bitchiness of the lyrics is neat.
99. Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar on Me
Hair metal is largely quite embarrassing and most of it is unlistenable these days, but some tracks hold up. This one, in particular, manages to be both anthemic and sleazy, with a genuine head-banger of a chorus.
98. Inner Circle - Sweat (A La La La La Long)
Hear it once, it'll never leave your head.
97. Icona Pop feat. Charli XCX - I Love It
Silly, frothy, just generally good fun if not quite as good as Charli's solo offerings.
96. Gina G - Ooh Aah...Just a Little Bit
In a very New Age-y year of Eurovision, Gina G offered a taste of contemporary Europop. While it would become the dominant genre in the contest within two years, it stood out like a sore thumb among the Portuguese samba, symphonic Swedish ballads, Austrian gospel, and the victorious traditional-sounding Irish entry. All great songs, but "Ooh Aah" was just bouncy and catchy enough to stand out from the crowd.
95. The Proclaimers - I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)
Almost added the more obscure but funnier "Throw the 'R' Away," but the iconic "500 Miles" deserves the spot more for its emphasis on the Proclaimers' gloriously Scottish brogues and the timeless sing-along chorus.
94. Murray Head - One Night in Bangkok
Quotable, catchy, and very cheesy. What more could you expect from Benny and Bjorn?
93. Rick Springfield - Jessie’s Girl
This song is pretty iconic here in America, even though it's by an Australian. It's so simple and hard-rocking, a perfect example of a great '80s song.
92. Irene Cara - Flashdance...What a Feeling
Yeah, this always makes me want to dance.
91. Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me with Science
Quotable, weird, delightful new wave music. "SCIENCE!"
90. Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah
89. Hootie and the Blowfish - Hold My Hand
88. Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
87. Shaggy - Boombastic
86. When in Rome - The Promise
85. MC Hammer - U Can’t Touch This
84. Verka Serduchka - Dancing Lasha Tumbai
83. Lazy Bums - Shir Habatlanim
82. Umberto Tozzi - Gloria
81. Bette Midler - The Rose
80. Billy Joel - Uptown Girl
79. Anna Margaret - Something About the Sunshine
78. Miley Cyrus - 7 Things
77. OMC - How Bizarre
76. Starship - Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now
75. Herrey’s - Diggi-Loo Diggi-Ley
74. Brotherhood of Man - Save Your Kisses for Me
73. Lionel Richie - All Night Long (All Night)
72. Bucks Fizz - Making Your Mind Up
71. Toni Basil - Mickey
70. Meat Loaf - Paradise by the Dashboard Light
69. Train - Drops of Jupiter
68. Colbie Caillat - Bubbly
67. The Black Eyed Peas - Let’s Get It Started
66. The Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
65. Katrina and the Waves - Love Shine a Light
64. RuPaul - Jealous of My Boogie
63. Katy Perry feat. Snoop Dogg - California Gurls
62. Diana Ross - I’m Coming Out
61. One Direction - Steal My Girl
60. Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
59. Seal - Kiss from a Rose
58. Brandy and Monica - The Boy is Mine
57. Buranovskiye Babushkiye - Party for Everybody
56. R. Kelly - Ignition (Remix)
55. Mystikal - Shake Ya Ass
54. Lil Mama - Lip Gloss
53. Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
52. Village People - In the Navy
51. Deep Blue Something - Breakfast at Tiffany’s
50. Ace of Base - The Sign
49. Blue Swede - Hooked on a Feeling
48. The Rolling Stones - Miss You
47. The Beatles - All Together Now
46. Drake Bell - Makes Me Happy
45. Gwen Stefani feat. Akon - The Sweet Escape
44. Uncle Kracker - Follow Me
43. Los Hermanos Rosario - La Duena del Swing
42. Elton John - Something About the Way You Look Tonight
41. Spin Doctors - Two Princes
40. Lipps Inc. - Funkytown
39. ABBA - Waterloo
38. Madonna - Justify My Love
37. Big and Rich - Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy)
36. Donna Summer - Hot Stuff
35. The Weather Girls - It’s Raining Men
34. Shania Twain - Man! I Feel Like a Woman
33. Drake - Hotline Bling
32. Biz Markie - Just a Friend
31. Lil Jon and the East Side Boyz - Get Low
30. Rihanna - Rude Boy
29. Katy Perry - Firework
28. Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
27. The Seekers - Georgy Girl
26. Men at Work - Down Under
25. Starship - We Built This City
24. Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way
23. Kenny Loggins - Footloose
22. Sir Mix-a-Lot - Baby Got Back
21. Donna Lewis - I Love You Always Forever
20. Men Without Hats - The Safety Dance
19. Falco - Rock Me Amadeus
18. Go West - King of Wishful Thinking
17. Wham! - I’m Your Man
16. Chumbawamba - Tubthumping
15. Spice Girls - Wannabe
14. Digital Underground - The Humpty Dance
13. Haddaway - What is Love?
12. Londonbeat - I’ve Been Thinking About You
11. Mr. Big - To Be with You
10. Sixpence None the Richer - Kiss Me
It's one of my all-time favorite songs, but that doesn't mean I can't recognize its inherent twee-ness. It's by a contemporary Christian group and has lines like "Kiss me beneath the bearded barley." But man, does it make me happy. This is what being young and in love should sound like. It always puts a smile on my face.
9. Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart
This song is long as balls but if you're patient it's worth the wait. Jim Steinman has a talent for crafting songs that make love and potential heartbreak sound like epics. Bonnie Tyler sings as though she was standing on Mount Olympus, belting like her life depends on it. All belters aspire to have this level of confidence and give such a good performance. It's sweeping, dramatic, and very silly.
8. Britney Spears - Sometimes
Surprisingly underrated Britney offering. The classic early Britney song is "...Baby One More Time," but I've always been more partial to the simpler but still effervescently joyful "Sometimes." Max Martin's production at its best, very late '90s and very Europop. I like it a lot.
7. Shakira - Whenever, Wherever
I don't understand a word Shakira says here, but it gets my body movin'.
6. R.E.M. feat. Kate Pierson - Shiny Happy People
If this is the worst R.E.M. can offer, that isn't so bad. No, it doesn't reach the heights of their truly great songs and stands out like a sore thumb on Out of Time compared to more introspective classics like "Country Feedback" or "Losing My Religion." But it's fun and bouncy and shows that R.E.M.'s ear for melody and quality jangle pop extends to blatantly commercial singles. Bringing in Kate Pierson of the B-52's turns it into a Georgia supergroup and just adds to the delirious fun of the most harmlessly cheerful song in the R.E.M. catalogue.
5. Jim Henson and Kevin Clash - Put Down the Duckie
Thought I'd throw a bone to a childhood favorite that still gets my toes tapping nowadays. "Put Down the Duckie" is a song from the children's show Sesame Street that focuses on Hoots the Owl teaching Ernie (of Ernie and Bert) how to tap into his true sax skills: put down his rubber duckie first! It's actually a great invocation of classic big band call-and-response songs, and it builds up to a surprisingly awesome climax (including - spoiler alert - a kickass sax solo from Ernie when he realizes he can just pick Rubber Duckie up again when he's finished). It's been dubbed into several languages (I've found versions in German, Russian, Dutch, and Brazilian Portuguese - Sesame Street gets around) and remains a classic.
4. Boney M. - Rasputin
Ra-Ra-Raputin! Lover of the Russian queen! Surprisingly historically-accurate in parts (and less so in others) with an unstoppable groove. The build-up at the beginning is genuinely well-done, with a surprisingly smooth transition from the Russian dance music to a Euro-disco beat. It all works so much better than it has any right to.
3. Kriss Kross - Jump
This should be much sillier than it actually is. For fuck's sake, they wear their pants backwards and are doing a diss track to a New Jack swing group made up of little kids ("Don't try to compare us to/Another bad little fad" is a diss at Another Bad Creation, who scored a hit in the USA with "Iesha," a genuinely terrible song). But it works! It all works. This is the best workout song of all time, and you'd have to be foolish to convince me otherwise.
2. Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby
The hardest one to explain. Objectively, it's a horrible, worthless song, but I've never laughed harder at an unintentionally silly song the way I have at "Ice Ice Baby." Christ Almighty, some of these lyrics have to be heard to be believed: "I'm on a roll, it's time to go solo"? "Collaborate and listen"? "Flow like a harpoon daily and lightly"? "Cooking MCs like a pound of bacon"? Who on Earth said those lyrics were passable? The video makes it even better. This was the first rap song to top the charts in the USA. It had been a decade and THIS was the first rap song so frequently bought and played that it went to #1. It's all just so fascinating.
1. Toby Keith - Red Solo Cup
As a non-fan of country music and especially of Toby Keith, a song this stupid and hillbilly-like should be absolute poison to me. But damn it all, I love it. It's just hilarious! I laugh out loud every time I give it a listen. I can't hate a song so innocently dumb that it always cheers me up.

I'll add more comments later.
Last edited by StevieFan13 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

My #1 is probably going to be the Pokemon theme song. Just sayin'.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

What the hell am I supposed to include on this? I think that, among most of the people I know, Kate Bush could be considered a guilty pleasure...
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

:lol: Great start! I must confess: some of the songs already mentioned are ones I didn't know I should feel guilty about liking. I think I'll base my list on songs that are already mentioned in lists, as well as those I know I should feel guilty about (so much so that they don't even make anyone else's list).
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

The song should be embarrassing amidst its other musical contemporaries or with music critics. The lists in the companion thread are a guide. Otherwise we'll have Nirvana or the Beach Boys or Kate Bush winning this because they're embarrassing to play around Grandma, or your gang of friends are too cool for this or that. Even (especially?) the all-time legends have gotten flak from someone I knew or bumped into, or from some other musician.

This is not a typical kind of poll, so to some extent I have to expect some surprising or agree-to-disagree entries. (Seal is a guilty pleasure?)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I would consider very over the top melodramatic songs 'Guilty pleasures' among my social circles even if they are very good, catchy songs.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Typo in the thread title - it's 2018, not 2008.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

StevieFan13 wrote:Typo in the thread title - it's 2018, not 2008.
Corrected. Thanks StevieFan13! Btw, great list.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Dexter wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Typo in the thread title - it's 2018, not 2008.
Corrected. Thanks StevieFan13! Btw, great list.
Thanks man!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: AMF Greatest Guilty Pleasure Songs of All Time (2018) Submissions Thread

Post by StevieFan13 »

I’m also already seeing the complications of what songs are considered guilty pleasures. I deliberated my list a lot (and still forgot Mick Jagger and David Bowie’s Dancing in the Street, which I might need to go back and rectify), but I didn’t include Flagpole Sitta because I thought people generally thought it was considered good (it’s in my all time 500).
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

It was a radio hit but it was also considered immature and silly.

Regarding identifying something as a guilty pleasure or not. I think the rule should be the same as the rule for smut. "I know it when I see it".

This isn't something we need to overthink.

If Michael Scott would do a parody of it, it might be a guilty pleasure song.
If everyone you know knows the lyrics, but nobody you know will admit they know the lyrics, it might be a guilty pleasure song.
If its appeal to your brain is entirely contained within the part of your brain that's still twelve years old, it might be a guilty pleasure song.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

This poll goes well beyond stuff like, My younger brother can’t get past Dylan’s voice and made me feel “guilty” about worshiping him; or my mom hates Astral Weeks; or I couldn’t get my buddies to like Sonic Youth (or Who’s Next!); or Michael Stipe in an interview made me feel bad at a young age about listening to the Beatles. And then we'd just have a refried best-of list posing as our guilty pleasure list. We are driving this rig right through our usual quality roadblocks.

The songs below are more or less joke songs that immediately assumed that status, or soon after. But I like them anyway. Or they’re virtually indistinguishable from crap, but for some reason I’ve gone to the effort to make a distinction. It doesn’t mean I can explain the odd appeal of these songs, and I concede that where the “joke line” begins is up for debate. (Seal and Bonnie Tyler are not artists of the highest order, perhaps, but they don’t seem like the stuff of guilt to me. “Kiss from a Rose” was the only thing I liked about Batman Forever.)

1. Stevie Wonder – I Just Called to Say I Love You
(Stevie Wonder gets sappy? Damn, what are they going to think of next?)

2. Sir Mix-a-Lot – Baby Got Back (#286 all-time, previous songs submission)
(I remember this got over big at a college theatre gathering, over 10 years after the song came out. And it also got over a few years later as a coffeehouse performance. Both times it was sung/lip-synched by a woman, directed at a woman. It has aged much better than I would have thought in 1992.)

3. Crash Test Dummies – Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm (#423)

4. Night Ranger – Sister Christian

5. Celine Dion – If You Asked Me To

6. Britney Spears – Toxic
(I would argue that this is not fundamentally different from the usual Britney Spears fare, just catchier.)

7. Milli Vanilli – Girl You Know It’s True
(Allmusic review of the album, 3 stars out of 5: “with dance-pop…artificiality is the name of the game, and that’s what is good about it … [the album] sounds like something [a computer] wrote on its own accord … it’s hard to imagine why there was such a fuss about an album so transparent, lightweight, and intentionally disposable.” Really, the whole album review is a perfect manifesto for this poll.)

8. Whitesnake – Here I Go Again

9. Kenny G – Songbird

10. Vanilla Ice – Ice Ice Baby
(I’ve been meaning to rap this song in its entirety as an answering machine message to somebody.)

11. MC Hammer – U Can’t Touch This
(God, remember before rap had credibility, and this and Vanilla Ice were perfectly acceptable?)

12. Loverboy – Working for the Weekend
13. Herman’s Hermits – I’m into Something Good
14. Debbie Gibson – Lost in Your Eyes
15. Amy Grant – Baby Baby
16. Color Me Badd – All 4 Love
(I despise almost all boy-band music. This really isn’t that bad. The melody seems to show up at one point in “Blurred Lines.”)
17. Richard Marx – Hazard
18. Snow - Informer
19. Jewel – Standing Still
20. Jewel - Hands
21. Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart
22. REO Speedwagon – Keep on Loving You
23. Spin Doctors – Two Princes
24. Paula Abdul – Blowing Kisses in the Wind
25. Wham! – Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

While my list has its fair share of (supposedly) terrible pop songs like all the other lists, mine also has a lot more intense songs that it seems this forum could never fathom finding pleasure in. But a lot of these were my favorite songs as a teenager. There are many more Thrice songs that I like as much or more than the ones I included, but I feel no guilt in enjoying them and playing them in front of other people... These ones are the more intense ones that I love, and that I'd expect to get weird looks for playing.

Maybe some of these are respected more than I realized and I should replace them, but most of them are pretty solidly deserving of a place here, I think.

1 | Avenged Sevenfold | Bat Country
My favorite metal song, and this was my favorite song overall for a long time. My all-time favorite drum song and one of my favorite guitar songs (love the solo). I also think the ending is very pretty.

2 | Thrice | Image of the Invisible
Really rhythmically interesting, and one of my favorite choruses. Epic ending.

3 | Finch | What It Is to Burn
The most epic ending of any song I know. As soon as the screaming ends, there are 43 seconds of pure magic. It reminds me a lot of the harmonic brilliance at the end of Chop Suey!, but that song is respected enough that I don't feel guilty about it.

4 | The All-American Rejects | Swing, Swing
5 | Katy Perry | Roar
6 | Avenged Sevenfold | Fiction
The last song that featured The Rev before he died. The way he sings "let it burn" is truly chilling. A lot of people hate M Shadows' vocals, and normally I don't have a huge problem with them, except for the "I hope it's worth it, here on the highway" verse, when they are horrendous. It's weird, because he then fades in with normal vocals over the same melodic lines right after. So if not for that part, I wouldn't even feel guilty about loving this song.

7 | Rise Against | Prayer of the Refugee
I love the melodic lines in the verses of this song. It has the most abrupt bridge ever, but that's clearly an intentional surprise tactic, and I think it works.

8 | 4 Non Blondes | What's Up?
It's so much fun belting out this chorus.

9 | Miley Cyrus | Wrecking Ball
Such a great pop song. I gained a lot of respect for it also after Thrice's Dustin Kensrue made a fantastic stripped down cover of it.

10 | Coldplay | Fix You
A lot of people criticize Coldplay for this song, but the second half is so epic and beautiful.

11 | Avenged Sevenfold | Afterlife
Amazing guitar solo, great chorus.

12 | Brand New | Sic Transit Gloria...Glory Fades
Another song that's really rhythmically interesting. Maybe I shouldn't feel guilty about this since it's bubbling under and their last album received a lot of acclaim, but I always had felt that Brand New were dismissed as part of the early 2000s emo scene, and now they've been dismissed for different reasons...

13 | DJ Earworm | United State of Pop 2009 (Blame It on the Pop)
My favorite mashup.

14 | Macklemore & Ryan Lewis | Same Love (featuring Mary Lambert)
15 | Avenged Sevenfold | Save Me
16 | Brand New | Okay I Believe You, but My Tommy Gun Don't
It's so dark, but the flow of the song makes it one of my favorites to sing along to for whatever reason. One of the few songs I know all the words to.

17 | Pitbull | Timber (featuring Kesha)
I couldn't care less about Pitbull, but Kesha is awesome on this song, especially at the end. Love the chorus.

18 | Switchfoot | Meant to Live
19 | Sam Smith | I'm Not the Only One
If I included Stay with Me, it might have been at the top of the list, but I felt like it got enough respect. This one didn't seem to get any though, but I think it's a really well constructed song.

20 | Avenged Sevenfold | Seize the Day
Another gorgeous guitar solo, and overall a very pretty song coming from a band like them.

21 | Mariah Carey | All I Want for Christmas Is You
I hardly like anything else by Mariah Carey, but this is my favorite Christmas song and it's not close.

22 | IllScarlett | Nothing Special
Love the emotion and fire in this chorus, especially the last one.

23 | Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros | Home
I love the way the bridge transitions into the last chorus with Jade's reaction and shout at the end of his story.

24 | Linkin Park | Waiting for the End
Great melodies throughout, and it builds well to an epic ending.

25 | Weezer | Pork and Beans
26 | Thrice | All the World Is Mad
Another phenomenal bridge leading into the last chorus.

27 | Jason Mraz | I'm Yours
28 | Macklemore & Ryan Lewis | Downtown (featuring Eric Nally, Melle Mel, Kool Moe Dee, and Grandmaster Caz)
Not a fan of the old-school rapping, but (hey, a recurring theme!) I love the chorus, and the epic ending.

29 | Phillip Phillips | Home
30 | OneRepublic | Secrets
31 | Vance Joy | Riptide
Kind of surprised this one is completely unacclaimed.

32 | Robbie Williams | Angels
33 | Matt McAndrew | Wasted Love
I've only watched half of one season of The Voice, but this guy dominated it. Seems like no one from that show gets taken seriously, but I thought this song was great and was disappointed when it still lost to a terrible country song in the final.

34 | Mumford & Sons | I Will Wait
This part is epic:
Raise my hands
Paint my spirit gold
And bow my head
Keep my heart slow

35 | Finch | Post Script
36 | Ed Sheeran | The A Team
37 | Fastball | Out of My Head
38 | Avicii | The Nights
39 | Midtown | Become What You Hate
Love the ending. This was my favorite song when it came out and I was 10 or 11.

40 | Avenged Sevenfold | Nightmare
Another great chorus-guitar solo combo.

41 | Thrice | Red Sky
I remember reading this joke review a few years ago about Vheissu, the album that contains Red Sky:
[Vheissu] hurt the Emo Kid’s feelings greatly as it “left the normal emo” sound. Luckily, they could still sit there with Red Sky on repeat and slit their wrists. This just about made up for the otherwise lack of Emo Kid based songs. “Red Sky” has widely become known as the “anthem of happiness”. This is due to the happiness it delivered to the general public when all the Emo Kid’s started committing suicide because of it.

That surprised me at the time because I always associated emo with screaming, and the screamed in other songs on the album but not that one. The harmonies are gorgeous. But the lyrics are dark, so I can see why the guy made the joke.

42 | Linkin Park | One Step Closer
43 | Simple Plan | Perfect
I guess I should be banned from music forums for praising a Simple Plan song, but somehow I buy in to the emotions of this song and think the ending is pretty powerful.

44 | Jessie J | Price Tag (featuring B.o.B)
So catchy. Pretty clumsy lyrics but the message is nice.

45 | Linkin Park | What I've Done
46 | Jack Johnson | You and Your Heart
I'm kind of surprised that Jack Johnson has nothing listed on this site. He has a lot of catchy, mellow songs that I wouldn't really feel that guilty playing in front of other people, but I guess I should feel guilty?

47 | Weezer | (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To
48 | B.o.B | Don't Let Me Fall
49 | Thrice | Silhouette
This used to be my go-to workout song.

50 | Jack Johnson | If I Had Eyes
51 | Opeth | Deliverance
I listen to a cut-down version of this song because come on, 14 minutes is too long, and I don't like their style of screaming. But there is nothing quite like the last 4 minutes of this song. Epic.

52 | Peter, Paul & Mary | Puff, the Magic Dragon
53 | Blink-182 | First Date
Surprisingly turned out to be one of the most fun wedding songs.

54 | Lit | My Own Worst Enemy
55 | Miley Cyrus | We Can't Stop
56 | Smash Mouth | All Star
57 | Imagine Dragons | Demons
58 | Imagine Dragons | Radioactive
59 | John Mayer | Daughters
60 | Avicii | Wake Me Up! (featuring Aloe Blacc)
61 | The Beatles | Octopus's Garden
62 | Coldplay | Princess of China (featuring Rihanna)
63 | Macklemore & Ryan Lewis | Thrift Shop (featuring Wanz)
64 | T.I. | Live Your Life (featuring Rihanna)
65 | Twenty One Pilots | Ride
66 | David Guetta | Bang My Head (featuring Sia & Fetty Wap)
67 | Gavin DeGraw | I Don't Want to Be
68 | Avenged Sevenfold | Beast and the Harlot
Surprise, surprise... Incredible drums and guitar.

69 | Avenged Sevenfold | Sidewinder
If there's one thing Avenged Sevenfold did that I think a lot of you would actually like, it's the last two minutes of this song. Completely out of left field, but so good.

70 | Coheed and Cambria | Welcome Home
Not a fan of these guys in general, but this song is epic, and it has one of the all-time intros. One of the most fun songs to play on Rock Band back in the day.

71 | Katy Perry | Firework
72 | The Used | The Taste of Ink
73 | Hoobastank | The Reason
74 | Finch | Bitemarks and Bloodstains
75 | Linkin Park | Papercut
76 | Neon Trees | Animal
77 | B.o.B | Airplanes (featuring Hayley Williams of Paramore)
78 | Shinedown | Second Chance
79 | Ra | Broken Hearted Soul
80 | Meghan Trainor | All About That Bass
81 | The All-American Rejects | Move Along
82 | Papa Roach | Lifeline
83 | Yellowcard | Way Away
This was my favorite song shortly after it came out.

84 | Thrice | Cold Cash and Colder Hearts
85 | Iggy Azalea | Fancy (featuring Charli XCX)
86 | Thrice | For Miles
I find this section so powerful:
On that day all of the scales will swing to set all the wrongs to right
All our tears, and all of our fears will take to flight
But until then all of our scars will still remain, but we've learned that if we'll
Open the wounds and share them then soon they start to heal

I don't care for the screaming that follows, but I think the song is brilliant up to that point.

87 | Avenged Sevenfold | A Little Piece of Heaven
One of the most bizarre songs I've ever heard, but I love the originality.

88 | Avenged Sevenfold | M.I.A.
Love the chorus and the solo

89 | Ed Sheeran | Thinking Out Loud

90 | Taking Back Sunday | A Decade Under the Influence
91 | The Used | Blue and Yellow
A couple of emo classics

92 | Vitamin C | Graduation (Friends Forever)
93 | Justin Bieber | Sorry
94 | Avenged Sevenfold | Unholy Confessions
The song opens with one of my all-time favorite riffs.

95 | HIM | Right Here in My Arms
96 | Avenged Sevenfold | Strength of the World
It goes on way too long, but 6:43-7:28 is one of my favorite guitar solos.

97 | Kelly Clarkson | Breakaway
98 | The Used | The Bird and the Worm
99 | X Ambassadors | Renegades
100 | Daughtry | Call Your Name
The one season of American Idol I watched start to finish was the one he was on, and I was very impressed with his voice. His career afterwards was disappointing, and even this song as a whole isn't great, but he shows off his potential here after the guitar solo.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Ooh, I forgot Thrift Shop and Downtown. I do feel pretty guilty for liking those.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Toxic also would have been fairly high on my list, but I didn't include it since it's so acclaimed.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Live in Phoenix wrote:The lists in the companion thread are a guide.
I don't know. A lot of them contain established classics that the compiler just doesn't seem to like and there is also a lot of "To hell with classic rock" attitude going on. Many of these songs are well-made, well-played and seem to be what they want to be. For me a guilty pleasure is a song I think is actually bad and usually unintentionally ridiculous, but still gets me. The Pokémon Theme song is actually the perfect example for me. It contains a grown-up man singing absurd lyrics ("It's Pokémon to understand, the power that's inside!") with an incredible passion. It is doesn't get any sillier, but it works for me.

Intentional joke songs don't count for me. Cake's I Will Survive is an example of that in my view. We'll never get to a complete agreement here, though.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Rob wrote:
I don't know. A lot of them contain established classics that the compiler just doesn't seem to like and there is also a lot of "To hell with classic rock" attitude going on. Many of these songs are well-made, well-played and seem to be what they want to be. For me a guilty pleasure is a song I think is actually bad and usually unintentionally ridiculous, but still gets me. The Pokémon Theme song is actually the perfect example for me. It contains a grown-up man singing absurd lyrics ("It's Pokémon to understand, the power that's inside!") with an incredible passion. It is doesn't get any sillier, but it works for me.

Intentional joke songs don't count for me. Cake's I Will Survive is an example of that in my view. We'll never get to a complete agreement here, though.
I think if a song is actually bad, it's not even a 'pleasure'. If a song is not pleasurable it is not good, almost by definition. But, a good song can have attributes to it that are typically associated with bad songs. Like, lyrics designed for children, over the top melodrama, plain ridiculousness, trite pithiness or cheap sexuality (I'm surprised nobody has listed Mambo No 5 yet).
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

1. Ricky Martin - Livin la vida loca
2. Drake . Hotline bling
3. Dr Dre - The next episode
4. USA for Africa - We are the world
5. Styx - Babe
6. David Guetta - Sexy bitch
7. Crazy Town - Butterfly
8. Morris Albert - Feelings
9. Psy - Gangnam style
10. Luis Fonsi - Despacito

11. Robbie Williams - Rock Dj
12. Boots Randolph - Yakety sax
13. Rupert Holmes - The Piña Colada song
14. Richard Clayderman - Ballade pour Adeline
15. Luis Miguel - Cuando calienta el sol
16. Aerosmith - Dude (looks like a lady)
17. Bon Jovi - Livin on a prayer
18. Stevie Wonder I just want to say I love you
19. Creed - With arms wide open
20. The Offspring - Why don't you get a job?

21. Smash Mouth - All star
22. Eminem - The real Slim Shady
23. Bon Jovi - It's my life
24. Aerosmith - I don't wanna miss a thing
25. Chad Kroeger - Hero
26. New Kids on the Block - Step by step
27. Lonestar - Amazed
28. Aqua - Barbie girl
29. Maroon 5 - This love
30. Ted Nugent - Cat stretch fever

31. Maná - Oye mi amor
32. Jive Bunny - Swing the mood
33. James Blunt - You're beautiful
34. Evanescence - Bring me to life
35. Korn - A.D.I.D.A.S.
36. Village People - In the navy
37. Limp Bizkit - Nookie
38. Maroon 5 - She will be loved
39. John Travolta - Sandy
40. Take That - Back for good

41. The Black Eyed Peas - I gotta feeling
42. Justin Timberlake - Sexyback
43. George Baker Selection - Paloma blanca
44. Panic! at the Disco - I write sin not tragedies
45. Linkin Park - Faint
46. Styx - Mr Roboto
47. Paul McCartney - Ebony and ivory
48. Modern Talking - Brother Louie
49. Disturbed - Down with the sickness
50. Katy Perry - I kissed a girl

51. Queen - Flash
52. Limp Bizkit - Rollin
53. 50 Cent - In the club
54. Opus - Life is life
55. Hoobastank - The reason
56. Sabrina - Boys
57. Will Smith - Wild wild west
58. Limp Bizkit - My generation
59. 3 Doors Down - Here without you
60. Keane - Everybody's changing

61. Puddle of Mudd - She hates me
62. Lou Bega - Mambo N° 5
63. Lenny Kravitz - American woman
64. Lionel Ritche - All night long
65. DJ Bobo - Everybody
66. Cher - Believe
67. Katy Perry - California girls
68. Mika - Grace Kelly
69. Shania Twain - That don't impress me much
70. Pat Boone - Speedy Gonzalez

71. Rihanna - Umbrella
72. Enrique Iglesias - I like it
73. The Wanted - Glad you came
74. Baauer - Harlem Shake
75. Zayn - Pillowtalk
76. Pussycat Dolls - Don't cha
77. Madonna - American life
78. Pitbull - I kwno you want me
79. Daniel Powter - Bad day
80. The Rasmus - In the shadows

81. Trapt - Headstrong
82. Jennifer Lopez - Jenny from the block
83. Ricky Martin - She bangs
84. Metallica - I disappear
85. Plain White T's - Hey there's Delilah
86. The Fray - How to save a life
87. Jessie J - Price tag
88. Proyecto Uno - El tiburón
89. Limp Bizkit - Take a look around
90. Britney Spears - Don't let me be the last to know

91. Ace of Base - The sign
92. Ronan Keating - Like is a rollercoaster
93. Fergie - Fergilicious
94. Baha Men - Who let the dogs out
95. Robin Thicke - Blurred lines
96. gnash - I hate U, I love U
97. Backstreet Boys - As long as love me
98. Guns N Roses - November rain
99. Christina Aguilera, Lil Kim, Mya & Pink - Lady Marmalade
100. Meredith Brookes - Bitch
Last edited by panam on Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Rob wrote:

At the very least we have a solid suggestion for the possible upcoming top TV theme songs.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Here are a hundred songs that I liked unashamedly, until serious people told me I wasn't supposed to like them.

1. Europe - The Final Countdown (1986)
2. Las Ketchup - The Ketchup Song (Aserejé) (2002)
3. Village People - Y.M.C.A. (1978)
4. Samantha Fox - Touch Me (I Want Your Body) (1986)
5. Spice Girls - Wannabe (1996)
6. Paul Anka - Put Your Head on My Shoulder (1959)
7. Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time (1998)
8. Boney M. - Rivers of Babylon (1978)
9. Peter Maffay - Du (1969)
10. Tulisa - Young (2012)
11. Atomic Kitten - Love Doesn't Have to Hurt (2002)
12. Kaoma - Lambada (1989)
13. Nicki Minaj - Super Bass (2011)
14. Khia - My Neck, My Back (Lick It) (2001)
15. Katy Perry - I Kissed a Girl (2008)
16. Paula Abdul - Straight Up (1988)
17. Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini (1959)
18. Dolly Dots - Love Me Just a Little Bit More (1983)
19. Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky (1987)
20. Johnny Logan - Hold Me Now (1987)
21. 4 Non Blondes - What's Up (1993)
22. All Saints - Never Ever (1997)
23. Hanson - MMMBop (1997)
24. Girls Aloud - Sound of the Underground (2002)
25. Zara Larsson - Lush Life (2015)
26. Emilia - Big Big World (1998)
27. Wet Wet Wet - Love Is All Around (1994)
28. Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy (1988)
29. Julio Iglesias - Quiereme Mucho (1978)
30. Hilary Duff - So Yesterday (2003)
31. Connie Froboess - Zwei kleine Italiener (1962)
32. Jennifer Lopez - Let's Get Loud (1999)
33. Freddy Breck - Überall auf die Welt (1972)
34. Michel Sardou - Les Lacs du Connemara (1981)
35. Christina Milian - Dip It Low (2004)
36. Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan - Especially for You (1988)
37. Alizée - Moi... Lolita (2000)
38. Jermaine Jackson & Pia Zadora - When the Rain Begins to Fall (1984)
39. Mýa - My Love Is Like... Wo (2003)
40. Girls' Generation - Gee (2009)
41. Crystal Waters - Gypsy Woman (She's Homeless) (1991)
42. Scissor Sisters - I Don't Feel Like Dancing (2006)
43. Mika - Grace Kelly (2007)
44. Pussy Riot - Straight Outta Vagina (2016)
45. Vader Abraham - 't Smurfenlied (1977)
46. Michael Bolton - How Am I Supposed to Live Without You (1989)
47. Glenn Medeiros - Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You (1987)
48. Kesha - Your Love Is My Drug (2010)
49. Michael Bublé - Haven't Met You Yet (2009)
50. Vanessa-Mae - Toccata & Fugue (1995)
51. Selena Gomez & The Scene - Love You Like a Love Song (2011)
52. Shirley and Company - Shame, Shame, Shame (1974)
53. Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag (2000)
54. Roland Kaiser - Santa Maria (1980)
55. Louis Armstrong & Gabriele - Uncle Satchmo's Lullaby (1959)
57. Brigitte Bardot - Harley-Davidson (1967)
58. Mel & Kim - Respectable (1987)
59. Ruslana - Wild Dances (2004)
60. Jim Reeves - Bimbo (1954)
61. Millie Small - My Boy Lollipop (1964)
62. Vanessa Paradis - Be My Baby (1992)
63. Chris de Burgh - The Lady in Red (1986)
64. Nicole - Ein bißchen Frieden (1982)
65. John Travolta & Olivia Newton John - You're the One That I Want (1978)
66. Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball (2013)
67. Marilyn Monroe - I Wanna Be Loved by You (1959)
68. Culture Club - Karma Chameleon (1983)
69. Lil' Kim ft. Sisqo - How Many Licks (2000)
70. Hot Chocolate - You Sexy Thing (1975)
71. Stevie Wonder - I Just Called to Say I Love You (1984)
71. The Rubettes - Sugar Baby Love (1974)
72. Dawn Penn - You Don't Love Me (No, No, No) (1994)
73. Salt-n-Pepa - Let's Talk About Sex (1990)
74. Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder - Ebony and Ivory (1982)
75. Eddy Grant - Gimme Hope Jo'anna (1988)
76. The Beatles - Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da (1968)
77. Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas? (1984)
78. Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go (1984)
79. Peabo Bryson & Regina Belle - A Whole New World (1992)
80. Extreme - More Than Words (1991)
81. Cliff Richard - Living Doll (1959)
82. USA for Africa - We Are the World (1985)
83. Spandau Ballet - Gold (1983)
84. Louis Prima - I Wan'na Be Like You (The Monkey Song) (1967)
85. Duran Duran - The Reflex (1983)
86. The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight (1961)
87. Sandra Kim - J'aime la vie (1986)
88. Green Jellÿ - Three Little Pigs (1993)
89. Engelbert Humperdinck - Release Me (1967)
90. Ashlee Simpson - Outta My Head (Ay YaYa) (2007)
91. George Baker Selection - Paloma Blanca (1968)
92. Pat Boone - Speedy Gonzalez (1962)
93. Bob Geldof - Great Song of Indifference (1990)
94. Samantha Mumba - Gotta Tell You (2000)
95. Dana International - Diva (1998)
96. Sabrina - Boys (Summertime Love) (1987)
97. Opus - Live Is Life (1985)
98. Middle of the Road - Soley Soley (1971)
99. Dennie Christian - Rosamunde (1974)
100. Belinda Carlisle - Heaven Is a Place on Earth (1987)
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

bonnielaurel wrote:Here are a hundred songs that I liked unashamedly, until serious people told me I wasn't supposed to like them.

1. Europe - The Final Countdown (1986)
2. Las Ketchup - The Ketchup Song (Aserejé) (2002)
3. Village People - Y.M.C.A. (1978)
4. Samantha Fox - Touch Me (I Want Your Body) (1986)
5. Spice Girls - Wannabe (1996)
6. Paul Anka - Put Your Head on My Shoulder (1959)
7. Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time (1998)
8. Boney M. - Rivers of Babylon (1978)
9. Peter Maffay - Du (1969)
10. Tulisa - Young (2012)
11. Atomic Kitten - Love Doesn't Have to Hurt (2002)
12. Kaoma - Lambada (1989)
13. Nicki Minaj - Super Bass (2011)
14. Khia - My Neck, My Back (Lick It) (2001)
15. Katy Perry - I Kissed a Girl (2008)
16. Paula Abdul - Straight Up (1988)
17. Brian Hyland - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini (1959)
18. Dolly Dots - Love Me Just a Little Bit More (1983)
19. Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky (1987)
20. Johnny Logan - Hold Me Now (1987)
21. 4 Non Blondes - What's Up (1993)
22. All Saints - Never Ever (1997)
23. Hanson - MMMBop (1997)
24. Girls Aloud - Sound of the Underground (2002)
25. Zara Larsson - Lush Life (2015)
26. Emilia - Big Big World (1998)
27. Wet Wet Wet - Love Is All Around (1994)
28. Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy (1988)
29. Julio Iglesias - Quiereme Mucho (1978)
30. Hilary Duff - So Yesterday (2003)
31. Connie Froboess - Zwei kleine Italiener (1962)
32. Jennifer Lopez - Let's Get Loud (1999)
33. Freddy Breck - Überall auf die Welt (1972)
34. Michel Sardou - Les Lacs du Connemara (1981)
35. Christina Milian - Dip It Low (2004)
36. Kylie Minogue & Jason Donovan - Especially for You (1988)
37. Alizée - Moi... Lolita (2000)
38. Jermaine Jackson & Pia Zadora - When the Rain Begins to Fall (1984)
39. Mýa - My Love Is Like... Wo (2003)
40. Girls' Generation - Gee (2009)
41. Crystal Waters - Gypsy Woman (She's Homeless) (1991)
42. Scissor Sisters - I Don't Feel Like Dancing (2006)
43. Mika - Grace Kelly (2007)
44. Pussy Riot - Straight Outta Vagina (2016)
45. Vader Abraham - 't Smurfenlied (1977)
46. Michael Bolton - How Am I Supposed to Live Without You (1989)
47. Glenn Medeiros - Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You (1987)
48. Kesha - Your Love Is My Drug (2010)
49. Michael Bublé - Haven't Met You Yet (2009)
50. Vanessa-Mae - Toccata & Fugue (1995)
51. Selena Gomez & The Scene - Love You Like a Love Song (2011)
52. Shirley and Company - Shame, Shame, Shame (1974)
53. Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag (2000)
54. Roland Kaiser - Santa Maria (1980)
55. Louis Armstrong & Gabriele - Uncle Satchmo's Lullaby (1959)
57. Brigitte Bardot - Harley-Davidson (1967)
58. Mel & Kim - Respectable (1987)
59. Ruslana - Wild Dances (2004)
60. Jim Reeves - Bimbo (1954)
61. Millie Small - My Boy Lollipop (1964)
62. Vanessa Paradis - Be My Baby (1992)
63. Chris de Burgh - The Lady in Red (1986)
64. Nicole - Ein bißchen Frieden (1982)
65. John Travolta & Olivia Newton John - You're the One That I Want (1978)
66. Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball (2013)
67. Marilyn Monroe - I Wanna Be Loved by You (1959)
68. Culture Club - Karma Chameleon (1983)
69. Lil' Kim ft. Sisqo - How Many Licks (2000)
70. Hot Chocolate - You Sexy Thing (1975)
71. Stevie Wonder - I Just Called to Say I Love You (1984)
71. The Rubettes - Sugar Baby Love (1974)
72. Dawn Penn - You Don't Love Me (No, No, No) (1994)
73. Salt-n-Pepa - Let's Talk About Sex (1990)
74. Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder - Ebony and Ivory (1982)
75. Eddy Grant - Gimme Hope Jo'anna (1988)
76. The Beatles - Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da (1968)
77. Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas? (1984)
78. Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go (1984)
79. Peabo Bryson & Regina Belle - A Whole New World (1992)
80. Extreme - More Than Words (1991)
81. Cliff Richard - Living Doll (1959)
82. USA for Africa - We Are the World (1985)
83. Spandau Ballet - Gold (1983)
84. Louis Prima - I Wan'na Be Like You (The Monkey Song) (1967)
85. Duran Duran - The Reflex (1983)
86. The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight (1961)
87. Sandra Kim - J'aime la vie (1986)
88. Green Jellÿ - Three Little Pigs (1993)
89. Engelbert Humperdinck - Release Me (1967)
90. Ashlee Simpson - Outta My Head (Ay YaYa) (2007)
91. George Baker Selection - Paloma Blanca (1968)
92. Pat Boone - Speedy Gonzalez (1962)
93. Bob Geldof - Great Song of Indifference (1990)
94. Samantha Mumba - Gotta Tell You (2000)
95. Dana International - Diva (1998)
96. Sabrina - Boys (Summertime Love) (1987)
97. Opus - Live Is Life (1985)
98. Middle of the Road - Soley Soley (1971)
99. Dennie Christian - Rosamunde (1974)
100. Belinda Carlisle - Heaven Is a Place on Earth (1987)
Somehow you managed to find Eurovision songs I forgot! I guess I feel relatively guiltless about enjoying Hold Me Now or Wild Dances.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

StevieFan13 wrote: Somehow you managed to find Eurovision songs I forgot! I guess I feel relatively guiltless about enjoying Hold Me Now or Wild Dances.
Johnny Logan is an excellent vocalist, nicknamed Mr. Eurovision after winning it three times (once as a songwriter). Ruslana also became a political activist after Putin invaded Crimea. I had a hard time myself deciding what I'm supposed to feel guilty about. The ones I included are songs that still make me smile after hearing them for the so manieth time in spite of not taking them entirely serious.

P.S. Avoid quoting such a long message completely.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

bonnielaurel wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote: Somehow you managed to find Eurovision songs I forgot! I guess I feel relatively guiltless about enjoying Hold Me Now or Wild Dances.
Johnny Logan is an excellent vocalist, nicknamed Mr. Eurovision after winning it three times (once as a songwriter). Ruslana also became a political activist after Putin invaded Crimea. I had a hard time myself deciding what I'm supposed to feel guilty about. The ones I included are songs that still make me smile after hearing them for the so manieth time in spite of not taking them entirely serious.

P.S. Avoid quoting such a long message completely.
Eurovision has had some interesting veterans.

I usually am better than that, but I was typing on my phone so I didn't have the chance to shorten the original message.
Zombeels
Different Class

Post by Zombeels »

Since when did Cake become a guilty pleasure? Just sayin'
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Zombeels wrote:Since when did Cake become a guilty pleasure? Just sayin'
I was on the fence about including them. I included them because they have an unusual kind of appeal. It’s almost like all their songs are sardonically making fun of music. Like, somebody’s deadpan reaction to the concept of pop music, if that makes sense.
Red Ant
Are You Experienced?

Post by Red Ant »

I'd have to go with a list of songs that don't seem to have been "acclaimed" by the music industry, and thus don't seem to appear in the 10000 song list on this website (or indeed even the longer list including those primed for future inclusion). That means my list would be:

1 ¦ Labi Siffre ¦ (Something Inside) So Strong
2 ¦ The Eagles ¦ The Last Resort
3 ¦ Heart ¦ These Dreams
4 ¦ Lynyrd Skynyrd ¦ Crossroads
5 ¦ Mary Chapin Carpenter ¦ The Moon and St. Christopher
6 ¦ DJ Sammy / Dominique van Hulst ¦ Heaven
7 ¦ Mary Chapin Carpenter ¦ Quittin' Time
8 ¦ Greg Johnson ¦ Don't Wait Another Day
9 ¦ ABBA ¦ Slipping Through My Fingers
10 ¦ Fleetwood Mac ¦ Songbird
11 ¦ Eric Clapton ¦ Promises
12 ¦ M People ¦ Search For The Hero
13 ¦ Queen ¦ The Prophet's Song
14 ¦ Deacon Blue ¦ Chocolate Girl
15 ¦ Thin Lizzy ¦ Rosalie
16 ¦ Derek and The Dominos ¦ Little Wing
17 ¦ Adele ¦ I Can't Make You Love Me
18 ¦ Judie Tzuke ¦ Stay With Me Till Dawn
19 ¦ The Eagles ¦ Victim Of Love
20 ¦ Maria Mckee ¦ Show Me Heaven
21 ¦ Adele ¦ Make You Feel My Love
22 ¦ Steve Winwood ¦ Back In the High Life Again
23 ¦ Bonnie Raitt ¦ Dimming of the Day
24 ¦ Jim Croce ¦ I'll Have To Say I Love You In A Song
25 ¦ Sandi Thom ¦ I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker (With Flowers In My Hair)
26 ¦ Thin Lizzy ¦ Emerald
27 ¦ Eva Cassidy ¦ Songbird
28 ¦ Billy Joel ¦ She's Always A Woman
29 ¦ Westlife ¦ Flying Without Wings
30 ¦ The Housemartins ¦ Caravan Of Love
31 ¦ T'pau ¦ Heart And Soul
32 ¦ Sheryl Crow ¦ The First Cut Is The Deepest
33 ¦ Shakespear's Sister ¦ Hello (Turn Your Radio On)
34 ¦ Dixie Chicks ¦ Travelin' Soldier
35 ¦ Michael Bolton ¦ How Am I Supposed To Live Without You
36 ¦ Clifford T. Ward ¦ Home Thoughts From Abroad
37 ¦ Edgar Winter ¦ Frankenstein
38 ¦ Billy Joel ¦ To Make You Feel My Love
39 ¦ Melanie ¦ Ruby Tuesday
40 ¦ Nils Lofgren ¦ I Came to Dance
41 ¦ Led Zeppelin ¦ Bring It On Home
42 ¦ Fleetwood Mac ¦ Skies The Limit
43 ¦ Anastacia ¦ Maybe Today
44 ¦ Simon & Garfunkel ¦ Fakin' It
45 ¦ Trisha Yearwood ¦ Walkaway Joe
46 ¦ Chuck Berry ¦ Route 66
47 ¦ Bonnie Raitt ¦ Feels Like Home
48 ¦ Gordon Giltrap ¦ Heartsong
49 ¦ Gloria Estefan ¦ Words Get In The Way
50 ¦ The Proclaimers ¦ I'm On My Way
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Red Ant wrote: 2 ¦ The Eagles ¦ The Last Resort
Do I have to feel guilty about loving The Last Resort? I've never gotten why so many people hate the Eagles. That's a great song and I'm surprised it's not acclaimed, especially coming from an all-time album.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Red Ant wrote:I'd have to go with a list of songs that don't seem to have been "acclaimed" by the music industry, and thus don't seem to appear in the 10000 song list on this website (or indeed even the longer list including those primed for future inclusion).

You may want to switch this one out, since it's at #3112 on AM.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Red Ant wrote:I'd have to go with a list of songs that don't seem to have been "acclaimed" by the music industry, and thus don't seem to appear in the 10000 song list on this website (or indeed even the longer list including those primed for future inclusion).

You may want to switch this one out, since it's at #3112 on AM.
Also it kicks ass
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I don't think AM inclusion is a disqualification from guilty-pleasureness. A lot of really good songs are really stupid.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Jirin wrote:I don't think AM inclusion is a disqualification from guilty-pleasureness. A lot of really good songs are really stupid.
The same goes otherwise. Acclaim has very little to do with wether something is a guilty pleasure or not. Sometimes a song is just unknown or overlooked and therefore not acclaimed.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Jirin wrote:I don't think AM inclusion is a disqualification from guilty-pleasureness. A lot of really good songs are really stupid.
Yup, though I am very happy with Henrik expanding the all time songs to 10000, I saw what I think are some very/awesomely bad (stupid, earwormily annoying) songs in the 8000-10000 range. As John Popper, a personal guilty pleasure, once sang "It doesn't matter what I say so long as I sing with inflection."
Last edited by Dexter on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Hmm, sorry in advance for what I'm going to do to you.

I will begin with a Top 10 but probably I'll get to post a Top 25 later. Not easy for me to find so many songs because I want to impose myself some restrictions of what a guilty pleasure means in my case. I can't feel guilty for liking a feel-good or happy song, so many Disco or Pop songs are not guilty pleasures in my book. I also don't feel guilty for liking some very popular, mainstream songs. So I'll mainly include songs overly melodramatic and sentimental shamelessly aimed to pull at the heartstrings of the audience, songs in which I can perfectly detect the tricks the writers and performers employ to extract from me goose-bumps (or even tears) but despite this I can help but not only like them but LOVE. And play "repeat" after the end. That's why I won't post a Top 100, it ought to be songs that move me (at least if I'm in the mood).

1. TED NEELEY "Ghetsemane (I Just Want to Say)" (1973)
A song I discovered (and loved) when I was a child, before learning about tastes (and all the prejudices that come with learning). "Gethsemane" was the central piece of the musical "Jesus Christ Superstar" and it was written as a prayer from Jesus Christ to God expressing his doubts before his passion and crucifixion, with a strong emotional content ranging from fear to anger but ending with acceptance. The original version was part of a concept album released in 1970 and was sung by Ian Gillan of Deep Purple fame (this version still can be considered almost cool, you can listen to it here). But the one I like the most was sung by Ted Neeley for the 1973 motion picture. I know that those spine-tingling (or ridiculous, depending on the side you're on) falsettos from 2'25" to 3'25" are Gillan's but the part from 3'57" was the part when Neeley wins it for me. While Gillan's sticks to the melody of the first part Neeley makes an impressive transition from the defeated whisper of "now I'm sad and tired" to the final piercing growl of acceptance in "I will drink your cup of poison, nail me to your cross and break me." It's strange because despite my catholic upbringing now I consider myself an agnostic. But what can I do? This song still send me chills every time I revisit it. Verdict? Guilty, of course.

2. ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA "Xanadu" (2000)
Not a case of an overblown song this time but surely cheesy. In fact this is a big pile of cheese. Electric Light Orchestra could well be the ultimate guilty-pleasure band to me but I should admit that I don't feel guilty at all for liking ELO's 70s output. "Strange Magic," "Livin' Thing," "Mr. Blue Sky" or "Last Train to London" are in my book great songs. Period. But their 1980s releases are a different thing, especially the soundtrack of "Xanadu." I remember at the time (15 years old) thinking they have gone too far, they've put too much cheese this time. But last summer I stumbled with the re-recording Jeff Lynne did on the late 1990s (the original as you all know was sung by Olivia Newton-John in 1980) and was mesmerized by the twists and turns of the melody and the splendid chord sequence (especially the Dm after the B on the chorus). Not the perfect pop song ever maybe but surely an addictive one.

3. CLAUDIO BAGLIONI "Sabato pomeriggio" (1975)
The Italian ballads. In Italy the melodramatic ballads are secular traditions, from the Neapolitan traditional songs to the Operatic arias the singers had always addressed their loved ones as in a serenade, trying to win their hearts putting all their soul on their singing. I was reminded (also) last summer of this Baglioni song when I compiled the Spotify playlist for the 10,000 songs (even if ended bubbling under), a song that was at the back of my mind as a vague remembrance of my childhood. The song was part of a concept album depicting vignettes of a Saturday afternoon (English for "Sabato pomeriggio") in a big city and the tittle theme was the album closer. The song begins as a typical Italian piano ballad but then at 1'38" a mellotron enters (with probable influence of the contemporary 10cc's "I'm Not in Love") followed by the strings giving a dreamy ambiance while Claudio sings raising an octave "senza te morirei" ("without you I will die"). And I surrender. Guilty again.

4. STOCKARD CHANNING "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" (1978)
"There Are Worse Things I Could Do" was part of the soundtrack of the movie "Grease" and was sung by Stockard Channing on her role of Rizzo. The song is a monumental piece of schlock, kitsch or whatever other German word you want to use but in my opinion it succeeded in depicting the vulnerability that lies at the core of the archetypical bad girl. Also recommended are the Jazz-Pop cover by Alison Moyet or the spare cover by Bonnie 'Prince' Billy.

5. CULTURE CLUB "Victims" (1983)
Another overblown piano ballad, with all the elements they could put on the mix to make it grandiose, including orchestral flourishes with strings, horns, oboe and harp, a gospel choir and and a rhythm section making a grand entrance at 2'17" and doubling the tempo at 4'02" only to slow it down for a final fanfare. The video clip is even more excessive (with this bellboy carrying the harp for the last chord). What saves this for me? Of course, Mr. George O'Dowd and his soulful vocals.

6. KEANE "Everybody's Changing" (2003)
Yes, I know. If Coldplay are a watered-down version of Radiohead, Keane are a watered-down version of Coldplay. But what can I do? When the piano plays that ascending line at 2'44" I have to surrender again. Note: the only song on my Top 10 included on the AM Top 10,000.

7. BECK "Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime" (2004)
The real guilty pleasure would have surely been to chose The Korgis' original (1980) but Beck's cover is quite cool in fact, isn't it? Especially when matched with images of the splendid Michel Gondry film "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind."

8. ELVIS COSTELLO "She" (1999)
I remember myself thinking when the song was released that in any other voice (including even the 1974 original by Charles Aznavour) would be extremely kitsch but since it was Elvis Costello who sang it the song should be extremely cool. Excuses for not feeling guilty. This time the song is matched with images of the not-so-splendid Roger Michell movie "Notting Hill."

9. DAMIEN RICE "Amie" (2002)
Even Damien Rice should be aware of the seriousness and sentimentalism of the song because every time he plays it live makes a long and humorous intro speech to play the matter down. In vain. Only the strings outro is surely more sentimental that anything on this list. And there's nothing wrong with that.

10. JOSÉ EL FRANCÉS con la colaboración especial de NIÑA PASTORI y VICENTE AMIGO "Ya no quiero tu querer" (1999)
The Spanish quota. During the 1990s a style rose in Spain that was pejoratively called Flamenquito because watered down the rawness of real Flamenco, fusing it with Italian balladry. But sometimes the results were brilliant in its cheesiness like this remake of "Ya no quiero tu querer," "I Don't Want Your Love" (the original from 1993 was simpler and rawer).

I just realized that almost half were covers or remakes. Well, I think I've embarrassed myself enough for today. But I'm afraid I will return in a few weeks/months feeling guilty again.

StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Bump!
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Re: AMF Greatest Guilty Pleasure Songs of All Time (2018) Submissions Threadh

Post by luvulongTIM »

1. Nelly Furtado- Powerless
2. Aqua- Lollipop
3. Celine Dion- It’s All Coming Back to Me Now
*originally sung by the actress who plays Billie on Night Court*
4. Robbie Williams- She’s the One
5. Marlyn Martin & Phil Collins- Separate Lives
6. Whitney Houston- All At Once
7. Third Eye Blind- Never Let You Go
8. Ace of Base- Lucky Love
9. The Corrs- Runaway
10. Miami Sound Machine- Words Get in the Way
11. 4PM- Sukiyaki
12. Richard Marx- Hazard
13. Natalie Imbruglia- Wrong Impression
14. Lorena McKennit- The Mummers Dance
15. Take That- Back for Good
16. Celine Dion- To Love You More
17. Selena- Dreaming of You
18. Spice Girls- Spice Up Your Life
19. Hanson- MMMBop
20. Merrill Bainbridge- Mouth
21. The Jets- You’ve Got it All
22. Savage Garden- Truly, Madly, Deeply
23. Toni Braxton and Kenny G- How Can An Angel Break My Heart
24. Patti Labelle and Michael McDonald- On My Own
25. Del Amitri- Always the Last to Know
26. Sugar Ray- Falls Apart
27. Squirrel Nut Zippers- Put a Lid on It
28. Wham- Last Xmas
29. Jem- They
30. Miami Sound Machine- Bad Boys
31. The Feeling- Never Be Lonely
32. Paula Cole- Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?
33. Whitney Houston- One Moment in Time
34. The Verve Pipe- Freshman
35. Jack Wagner- All I Need
36. Savage Garden- I Want You
37. Fun Factory- I Wanna B with U
38. Ricky Martin- The Cup of Life
39. Company B.-Fascinated
40. Nelly Furtado- Say it Right
41. ABBA- Fernando
42. Color Me Badd- All For Love
43. Deniece Williams- Silly
44. ABBA- Take a Chance on Me
45. Phil Collins- Groovy Kind of Love
46. Stevie Wonder- Overjoyed
47. P!nk- Fun House
48. Maxine Nightengale- Lead Me On
49. Robbie Williams- Strong
50. Jem- Just a Ride
51. Sheena Easton- Almost Over You
52. Bette Midler- The Rose
53. Enya- Only Time
Last edited by luvulongTIM on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I'll be getting a list together in the next few days, as well. Since "guilty pleasure" is as beloved (and populated) a genre as any other to me personally, I have a lot to consider ...
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Sorry, I haven't kept up with this thread as I've been away from civilization for the past couple of weeks. I'll post my list in a week or two. I'm still up for a proper presentation of the results, maybe if there's a minimum 30 submissions? Anyway, in the meantime, we have the all time AMF songs results to keep us entertained.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Dexter wrote:Sorry, I haven't kept up with this thread as I've been away from civilization for the past couple of weeks. I'll post my list in a week or two. I'm still up for a proper presentation of the results, maybe if there's a minimum 30 submissions? Anyway, in the meantime, we have the all time AMF songs results to keep us entertained.
I think that would probably be best.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

bonnielaurel wrote:25. Zara Larsson - Lush Life (2015)
Nothing to feel guilty about. What a voice.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Henrik wrote:
bonnielaurel wrote:25. Zara Larsson - Lush Life (2015)
Nothing to feel guilty about. What a voice.
That's a great live version, with acoustic guitar. It's also interesting to see them using real drum sticks on an electronic instrument.

She's the new Swedish pop star of the last few years. Another song I like by her is Don't Let Me Be Yours.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

This is an interesting exercise in contrast. One man's guilty pleasure is another man's...ehh...what's the opposite of "guilty pleasure"?
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Dexter wrote:This is an interesting exercise in contrast. One man's guilty pleasure is another man's...ehh...what's the opposite of "guilty pleasure"?
Innocent displeasure :mrgreen:
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Adult Contemporary and modern top 40 pop seem to fit this mold. I think that’s the immediate observation most recognized amongst these lists. I personally enjoy some of it but they seem to be commonly spewed as manufactured and generic. Personally I’d take Celine or Whitney any day over the more pretentious artsy fartsy critics darling indie flavors of the month. I’d rather you hold a damn tune and keep it melodic than play a harp and go completely folksy and fancy with no real structure.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Keeping it melodic isn't the problem, it's the excessive melodrama, disingenuous sentimentality and overt emotional manipulation.

Is that how you feel about half the people on this board, that they're just reacting to critical trends and don't really enjoy what they're listening to, only caring about being perceived as cool? Seems like that's your implication.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

To be honest I was that way when I was younger ;) I than discovered all genres whether “smart, intellectual and sophisticated” or “pop oriented and hooky” have highs, lows, under appreciated and overrated acts. Certain genres however get more prestige than others though. Some acts deserve it some acts don’t.
Not purposely looking to challenges others tastes. Just instead of writing *BUMP!* I just wanted to bring this thread back from the ashes LOL! It’s one of those threads that started off really thriving than got lost in the shuffle. It’s the Animal Collective of threads LOL! But I’m a sucker for polls so i was eager to see how this one turns out and also if anyone was looking into having a bubbler/unacclaimed albums and artist poll. Not me though, I suck at math, statistics or anything related. I’m really good at rambling though ;)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Ahh, makes sense. I agree then, just it's a bit of a touchy spot because so many places you open your mouth about artsy bands you get called pretentious. :)

Hope this contest gets counted soon.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I'll have my list done by the end of the day Saturday, if it's not too late. (Then again, while scanning the thread again, I noticed I said I'd have it finished in "a few days" on July 19th. Also, given my all-time songs poll debacle, I'm not sure I'm the most reliable source at this point. :P )
Father2TheMan
Different Class

Post by Father2TheMan »

Seeing JamieW's mea culpa reminded me I had a list ready to go that I kept forgetting to post.

So in the end, my criteria is something about the performance, lyrics or performer makes me feel slightly wimpy, icky or brain dead. The "higher" it is on the list the larger amount of disconnect between my perception of a "good song" and my enjoyment of it anyway. But if it's here at all, I admit to liking it...

After my 100, I also included a list of underappreciated tunes by generally disregarded acts that I like UNironically.

They deserve re-appraisal.

My Golden Guilties

1) Clint Holmes "Playground in My Mind"  (1972) Kiddy chorus, singsong chorus, maudlin nostalgia. It's all here.

2) Osmonds “Love Me For a Reason” (1974) "Don't love me for fun,girl...let me be the one, girl. Love me for a reason and let the reason be....love". Yes, this lyric is painfully in earnest and it's the most shameful entry here. Although I have to believe the Westlife cover would make this even guiltier.

3) Fergie “Fergalicious” (2006) I had forgotten about this one until hearing it at work last week. So so bad...and yet I wanted it to play again as soon as it ended.

4) Captain and Tennille "Muskrat Love" (1976) Silly piffle #1. Love what "Captain" Daryl Dragon does on keys for the muskrat effects though.

5) Buoys "Timothy" (1970) I think cannibalism references are an automatic.

6) David Geddes “Run Joey Run” (1975) Were there really still shotgun weddings in the 70s?

7) Az Yet "Last Night" (1996) Funny, I never see the moon OR the stars when I make love...

8) Pussycat Dolls “Don’t Cha” (2005) James Brown rewritten:"Say it loud, I'm a slut and I'm proud"

9) Ringo Starr “No No Song” (1975) It works with Ringo's "aw shucks" persona but it's garbage. There's a reason John didn't keep it for himself.

10) C&C Music Factory "Things that Make You Go Hmmm"  (1991) Outdated catchphrase

11) Chuck Berry “My Ding-a-Ling” Berry's only number 1 chart hit in the U.S. For that, all of America should feel guilty. Perhaps we were busy playing with our own ding-a-lings when "Johnny B. Goode" was stalling at #8.

12) Los Del Rio “Macarena (Bayside Boys mix)”   Heeeeey Macarena, Aaaaaaaiiight!

13) Jimmy Buffett “Cheeseburger in Paradise” It's a song about CHEESEBURGERS as what sailors most want to return to land for.

14) Tim McGraw “Indian Outlaw” Gorgeously oblivious of all propriety as it piles up stereotype upon stereotype. 

15) Ray Stevens "Ahab the Arab"
The stereotyping is strong on this one too...

16) Cher "Half Breed" And stereotyping again..the "Injun war whoop" backing vocals 

17) Barry Manilow "Some Kind of Friend" Barry sounds completely fish out of water on his mid 80s comeback charter i.e. the stilted way he sings the word "cafe"

18) Colbie Caillat “Bubbly”  Silly piffle #2

19) Leif Garrett “I Was Made for Dancin’ “  Cribs the "all all all" bit from "Stayin' Alive" and that keeps it a slice of cheese I consume from time to time.

20) Perry Como "Hot Diggity (Dog Ziggity Boom)" Cutesy. Silly piffle #3

21) Emerson Drive "I Should Be Sleeping" Faceless pop country that I shouldn't like....but do

22) Dan Hill “Sometimes When We Touch” (1977) He's not just in touch with his feminine side, he's cross-dressing.

23) Willie Nelson and Julio Iglesias “To All the Girls I’ve Loved Before" I could see Barney Stinson using this as his first dance at his wedding.

24) Bob Carlisle “Butterfly Kisses” I know it's all perfectly innocent but something about it makes me feel like I need a shower after every listen.

25) Flo Rida “Whistle” This lyric BLOWS (I mean that both literally and as a terrible pun). Can't stop hum-mering it though (I am truly sorry for that last pun)

26)  Tay Zonday "Chocolate Rain"  The reason I love it is the same reason it's guilty...those "Old Man River" style bass vocals 

27) Daddy Dewdrop "Chickaboom (Don't Ya Jes' Love It?)" Lyrical question #1: What is a chickaboom? Actually from the leering vocal I may be better off not knowing.

28) Paul Davis " '65 Love Affair" Fake cheerleading #1

29) Chad Brock "Yes!"  And I asked, "Do you believe in fate?"

30) Charlene "I've Never Been to Me"  The breathy overemoted spoken word bridge lands it on the list

31) Benny Bell "Shaving Cream" The cutesy "naughtiness" of the implied swear words

32) All-American Rejects "Swing, Swing" (2002) I can't recall a single lyric past the two word title that starts the chorus but I stop when it's on the radio anyhow. 

33) Paper Lace “Billy, Don’t Be a Hero” The drama in the lyric is undercut by the gleeful whistling. 

34) The Heights “How Do You Talk to an Angel?” The song still proved more durable than the TV show

35) Andy Grammer “Honey, I’m Good”
It's the way we are expected to believe the singer's looks guarantee him a hookup because "If I stay, I might not leave alone..."

36) Travie McCoy “Billionaire” First world problems, Travie...

37) Miami Sound Machine "Conga" Rhymes conga with "longa"

38) Kenny G “Songbird” Offensive in its inoffensiveness. This was well chosen as the song used to put a tractor trailer to sleep in the cartoon "Cars".

39) Flo Rida “Wild Ones” The "saddle me up" line is cringe-worthy.

40) Kriss Kross "Jump" The mickity-mack, baby, totally krossed out checkin' all the ladies...

41) Barenaked Ladies “Another Postcard”  Apparently everyone is...everyone is...everyone is a chimpanzee. Silly piffle#4

42) Ricky Martin “She Bangs” Probably the most meatheaded "appreciation" of a woman to not be written by AC/DC.

43) Crazy Town “Butterfly” This song only stays here because that damn hypnotic guitar figure makes it impossible to ignore. 

44) Kid Rock “All Summer Long” The sound of Zevon rolling in his grave

45) Kelly Clarkson “Since U Been Gone" (2004) The line "I'm SOOOO movin' on"

46) Kid Rock "Cowboy" The overenunciated "bay-bee"

47) Marty Balin "Hearts"  You just know he's being sensitive just so he can "bone chicks".

48) Flo Rida “Welcome to My House” Well at least it's not another pop-rap song equating materialism to "the good life"...oh wait it is...

49) Foreigner “Dirty White Boy” "Boys will be boys" douche excuses

50) Donny Osmond “Soldier of Love” Those "UHH!" interjections are deliciously trashy.

51) Afroman “Because I Got High”  Silly piffle #5

52) Air Supply “Sweet Dreams” Sounds like it should be on a My Little Pony soundtrack...or something involving unicorns

53) Paris Hilton “Stars are Blind” (2006) I feel guilty for enjoying the work of a terrible human being..and for supporting a ripoff of "The Tide is High"

54) Meghan Trainor “All About That Bass” What more wisdom could a mother ever offer than that "Some boys want a little bit more to hold in their eyes....."

55) Michael Bolton “Steel Bars" Bolton's oversinging. Probably the best lyric he ever got to work with though

56) Limp Bizkit “Rollin’ “  The super macho "bro" intro

57) Rick Astley “Never Gonna Give You Up” I never liked this one when it was new but the Internet has Rick Rolled me into submission.

58) Barenaked Ladies “One Week” (1998) Because it's so dangerous you'll have to sign a waiver, that's why. And because this joke punchline of a tune probably keeps them so underrated in the States.

59) Starship “We Built This City” The Marconi reference is why. The "boss jock" DJ from "the city by the Bay" seals the deal.

60) Bobby Bare "Dropkick Me Jesus" Amazing that someone who wrote the tender pathos of "500 Miles Away From Home" also penned this.

61) Paper Lace “The Night Chicago Died” Because of the clock upon the wall TICK TOCK TICK TOCK TICK TOCK...and the cheesy sax near the coda. Yep they make the list twice..

62) Osmonds “Yo Yo” Love the synthesized slide whistle style yo-yo sound effect. 

63) Animotion "Obsession" Piffle but the full on brassy in-your-face attitude of the synth keeps it a pleasure

64) Gretchen Wilson “Redneck Woman” The chanted "Hell yeah"

65) Color Me Badd “All 4 Love” The rinky-tink Old West saloon piano

66) Trevor Rabin “Sorrow (Your Heart)” I doubt anyone else here knows this because it's an album cut on a solo album from the Yes wunderkind. Listen and succumb. Oooooh ma ma, oooooh ma ma.

67) Herman’s Hermits “I’m Henry VIII, I Am”  Lyrical question #2: Is the "widow next door" the human equivalent of a black widow spider.

68) MC Hammer “2 Legit 2 Quit” And then he proved it by cutting "Addams Groove"

69) Nick Lowe “All Men are Liars” Girls, got those rusty pliers? 

70) Barry Manilow “Copacabana” Lyrical Question #3: Who fired the single gun shot?

71) Avril Lavigne “Girlfriend” Fake cheerleading #1

72) One Direction “What Makes You Beautiful" Tween pop

73) Archies "Sugar, Sugar" Don, we'd rather punch through a wall than record this....

74) Vicki Lawrence “He Did With Me” Melodrama

75) Debby Boone "You Light Up My Life" Melodrama

76) Jennifer Lopez “Jenny from the Block” Suuuuure, she's just "Jenny from the Block". Feels as authentic as the MC Hammer gangsta rap opus 

77) Pitbull ft. Ne-Yo “Time of Our Lives” Terrible advice to spend your last money on a night at the club if you can't pay your rent. Catchy though.

78) Fall Out Boy “My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light ‘Em Up)” What does this actually MEAN?

79) Pitbull ft. Ke$ha “Timber!” There should be more harmonica in Top 40 pop

80) Donna Lewis "I Love You Always Forever" The sing-song cadence of the melody

81) Elton John and Kiki Dee “Don’t Go Breakin’ My Heart” So many duets are grade A Velveeta....

82) Toni Basil “Mickey” Fake cheerleading #2...and it should be "Micky"

83) Wham! "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" (1984) Jitterbug! Jitterbug!

84) Black Eyed Peas “Let’s Get Retarded” Not exactly PC

85) Avril Lavigne “Sk8er Boi”  The dOOdSpEaK spelling of the title

86) Barry Manilow "Weekend in New England" So over-the-top Stallone could use it as the music to an arm wrestling flick

87) Ames Brothers "The Thing" Silly piffle #6

88) Beach Boys “Kokomo” Ode to a non-existent paradise

89) Richard Marx “Satisfied" Suffers from comparison to the Stones tune. Nice chugging rhythm guitar though

90) Bay City Rollers "Saturday Night" Fake cheerleading #2

91) Carpenters "Sing"  Kiddy chorus #2

92) John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band "On the Dark Side"  C grade Springsteen

93) Cher "Gypsys, Tramps and Thieves"  Even though Cher casts herself as one, this feels a bit un-PC. Love the melody though.

94) Phil Collins "Sussudio" No one is named this. Great zippy horn charts though.

95) Lionel Richie and Diana Ross "Endless Love" Cheese

96) John Denver "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" Even though I love me some "cakes on the griddle"

97) Henry Gross "Shannon" I looove my pets...but the bombast in this ode to an Irish setter that's crossed over the Rainbow Bridge is a biiiiiiiiiit much.

98) Ingrid Michaelson "Girls Chase Boys" Silly piffle #7

99) Eric Carmen "All by Myself" (1976) Melodrama

100) Will Smith “Gettin’ Jiggy Wit’ It”
So irresistible it's the least guilty.

NOT GUILTY ONES

Osmonds “Crazy Horses”, “Hold Her Tight”,”Gabrielle”,”I,I,I”
Donny Osmond “My Love is a Fire”
New Kids on the Block “Tonight”
Rick Astley "Cry for Help", "Move Right Out", "Behind the Smile", "The Bottom Line"
Ames Brothers "Naughty Lady of Shady Lane"
Kelly Clarkson “Breakaway”
Richard Marx “Hazard (The River)”
Tim McGraw “Live Like You Were Dying”
MC Hammer “On Your Face”
Little River Band “The Other Guy”
Barry Manilow “Sandra”, "New York City Rhythm", "Somewhere Down the Road", "Brooklyn Blues"
Vicki Lawrence “The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia"
Jimmy Buffett “Margaritaville”
One Direction “Story of My Life”
Starland Vocal Band "Afternoon Delight"
Samantha Fox "I Wanna Have Some Fun
Anything by Bread
"The laughs come hard in Old Lang Syne....."

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”