AMF's Top 250 Women in Music

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: AMF's Top 250 Women in Music

Post by Rob »

Somehow I thought Sleater-Kinney would be top 10. Me and my optimism.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

There's too many women in the intersection of popular/critically acclaimed/loved here to have too much room for niche artists at the very very top.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

It strikes me that more recent artists with one, two or three good albums sometimes finish higher than artists with a career over several decades. I also think Nico wouldn't be nearly as high if she hadn't worked with a certain male band.
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Well, the majority of my vote for Nico came from her solo stuff; she has a lot of great work on her own. The only part of VU&N I really love that features her is All Tomorrow's Parties.

I feel like people always bring up this idea that only having two or three great albums is some small feat; I feel constantly attacked for listing people like Kendrick Lamar among all-time greats as if having two albums in my all-time top 30 isn't significant - yet I never see these same people call out fans of acts like Joy Division and Nirvana. There's this constant pressure to not actually give credit toward modern artists, even if they've already created the same volume of work as some of the biggest bands of the past. How is three albums in our all-time top 250 by women able to be written off as a minor accomplishment? What it really seems to come off as is 'they've produced a lot of great work, but their fanbase is a younger generation and I can't respect that.' Like, very few artists here have three albums that placed; anyone who has that many deserved to be high up. The fact Julia Holter can achieve that much acclaim for her work and sit all the way down at 94 is the questionable part.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Sometimes when people establish a headcanon young in life they then stop accepting new members. And some people give heavy influence points on these kinds of lists.

But on the other side of the coin, some people overrate newer artists based on current hype. It's not that newer artists aren't as good as older artists, so much as we won't really know which ones are actually great for another ten years.

To me, part of being a great artist is making music you can listen to over and over for years and years and still love. So I just don't know yet if artists from the past few years qualify for that.

Does Kendrick Lamar deserve to be called an all time great? In 2030 if we are all still listening to him, then absolutely.

And sometimes releasing dozens of albums isn't as impactful as just releasing one or two albums that sound completely different from anything anyone else has every put out. I voted for Nico because nobody else sounds like her.
Last edited by Jirin on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Jirin wrote:But on the other side of the coin, some people overrate newer artists based on current hype. It's not that newer artists aren't as good as older artists, so much as we won't really know which ones are actually great for another ten years.

To me, part of being a great artist is making music you can listen to over and over for years and years and still love. So I just don't know yet if artists from the past few years qualify for that.

That's another thing I don't get; I only started listening to albums in 2010. Based off this ideology, my opinion on music must be worthless, right? But my opinion on older bands is fine because, what, older people told me my positive opinion on them is deserved? So even though I've been listening to Kendrick Lamar or St. Vincent for several years longer than I've been listening to, say, Nina Simone, I must be overstating my appreciation for Kendrick? It feels like an argument that's essentially stating 'don't like this artist until this arbitrary date has passed.'

It just feels like older people want younger people to like the music that they also like, but instead of giving a reason to appreciate older bands, we are instead attacked for daring to show our appreciation for more recent artists. It really creates this atmosphere of exclusion based largely on age.

Like, I really haven't had many experiences where I think I like an artist only to realize a couple years later that I didn't. Most of the time, it's the opposite direction; bands I didn't care for grow on me. Like, how many people here truly dislike the majority of the bands that initially shaped their views of music?
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

All I know is, my tastes were very different in 2003 than they are today (8 years after I started listening). Your tastes are not worthless, but they might be less stable now than they will be later.

I guess mine would have stabilized faster if I didn’t start out with mainstream.

Just imagine, whenever anyone criticizes your taste they are really criticizing their younger self. :)
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

BleuPanda wrote:
Jirin wrote:But on the other side of the coin, some people overrate newer artists based on current hype. It's not that newer artists aren't as good as older artists, so much as we won't really know which ones are actually great for another ten years.

That's another thing I don't get; I only started listening to albums in 2010. Based off this ideology, my opinion on music must be worthless, right? But my opinion on older bands is fine because, what, older people told me my positive opinion on them is deserved? So even though I've been listening to Kendrick Lamar or St. Vincent for several years longer than I've been listening to, say, Nina Simone, I must be overstating my appreciation for Kendrick? It feels like an argument that's essentially stating 'don't like this artist until this arbitrary date has passed.'

It just feels like older people want younger people to like the music that they also like, but instead of giving a reason to appreciate older bands, we are instead attacked for daring to show our appreciation for more recent artists. It really creates this atmosphere of exclusion based largely on age.

Like, I really haven't had many experiences where I think I like an artist only to realize a couple years later that I didn't. Most of the time, it's the opposite direction; bands I didn't care for grow on me. Like, how many people here truly dislike the majority of the bands that initially shaped their views of music?
As one of the older baby boomers that respond in this forum, I applaud folks like BleuPanda for their interest in a diverse musical array of performers. For the most part, when I do not yet appreciate a performer that others on this site do appreciate, I ask those folks to articulate what it is that they find particularly appealing about their favorite songs by that artist. I have been extremely impressed by the responses I've received to those requests.

Many older folks are no longer interested in expanding their musical palette. This often limits their credibility regarding the appeal of new artists and new genres. My recommendation is that you do not take offense when some older person demonstrates their limitations by not being open to new music and limit your discussions with such oldsters to trying to get them to articulate what they enjoy about the music they acclaim.

As folks enter their 60's and 70's they often start to atrophy in many aspects of their physical, intellectual and emotional pursuits. Please be patient with oldsters and try to politely inform them (when appropriate) that you are find little value in their attacks on newer artists. For many of the folks in my generation, newer music seems a bit noisy and lacking in melodic structure. But, instead of focusing on these aspects, we should be enjoying newer music for the qualities it provides that make it so enjoyable for younger folks.

Perhaps the most important help you can provide to older folks who do not yet appreciate a newer artist is to patiently articulate what it is about certain songs that you find most appealing. Such descriptions can be most helpful if you discuss a particular portion of the song and why that portion evokes a certain emotion for you, or otherwise stimulates your musical appetite.
luney6
Movin' On Up

Post by luney6 »

BleuPanda wrote:

I agree with Jirin, cause I think it's just that when you first listen to some music, there's a likelihood of your impression of it being overwhelmed by emotion. As time passes and circumstances change, emotions tend to stabilize and sometimes subside, which means you may like some music less, or sometimes even more. You may realize that you underrated some music, and you overrated some music. That isn't to say it'll happen with everyone, or with everything, but it remains a possibility. In fact, at least with me, I can give a shit ton of examples for all kinds of warped opinions. I think its just that to grasp all the ideas in the song, you need to listen to it multiple times, and with a cool and collected head. All that I've said feels sorta vague, but I hope you get the sentiment.
"God grant me the serenity to accept things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Henry wrote: As folks enter their 60's and 70's they often start to atrophy in many aspects of their physical, intellectual and emotional pursuits.
Crumbs. That's me done then.

NB My tastes do change over time. The truth is that you never know which things you will love more in the future and which less. But that is OK - nobody wants to be made of stone.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I guess here's another way of looking at it; I guess I don't know whether I will like any of these artists I currently love in a decade - but shouldn't my votes here in March of 2018 be representative of how I feel now? Even if I do change, why should I be considering that future me when discussing what I like in the present? I feel like there's a certain fear of embarrassment about being wrong about new artists that causes people to be reserved in their praise, which I feel has resulted in this weird thing where pretty much every medium is treated as if it reached its peak in the 60s and 70s (when the real reason is that's simply when the generation with the most dominant voice culturally was growing up).
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

25. Beyoncé and Destiny's Child
Score: 847.95 (Votes: 15)
Ranked Albums: Lemonade (#40), Beyonce (#129)
Ranked Songs: Crazy in Love (#59), Single Ladies (#264), Formation (#273), Say My Name (#389), Freedom (#402), Daddy Lessons (#447), Countdown (#477), All Night (#500), Best Thing I Never Had (#611), Irreplaceable (#714), Independent Women Part 1 (#986)

Biggest Fan(s):
BleuPanda (#6), andyd1010 (#6), Bruno (#8), Neil (#9), bonnielaurel (#14), Dexter (#22), Dan (#23)

24. Chrissie Hynde
Score: 861.21 (Votes: 15)
Known for: Pretenders
Ranked Albums: Pretenders (#28), Learning to Crawl (#202), Get Close (#213)
Ranked Songs: Brass in Pocket (#75), Back on the Chain Gang (#339), Hymn to Her (#544), Show Me (#685), 2000 Miles (#688), Talk of the Town (#968), Message of Love (#980)

Biggest Fan(s):
Henry (#4), Live in Phoenix (#4), Michel (#9), DocBrown (#16), Red Ant (#25)

23. Ella Fitzgerald
Score: 865.06 (Votes: 13)
Ranked Albums: Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Song Book (#58)
Ranked Songs: Ev'rytime We Say Goodbye (#575), Dream a Little Dream of Me (#723)

Biggest Fan(s):
Dexter (#4), sonofsamiam (#6), luney6 (#7), bonnielaurel (#8), Dan (#11), pauldrach (#13), Bruno (#14), Honorio (#17)

22. Tina Turner
Score: 871.35 (Votes: 15)
Known for: solo, with Ike Turner
Ranked Albums: Private Dancer (#105)
Ranked Songs: River Deep - Mountain High (#87), What's Love Got to Do With It (#155), Proud Mary (#455), Nutbush City Limits (#457)

Biggest Fan(s):
Red Ant (#4), Hymie (#8), Bruno (#11), Rob (#11), luney6 (#17), Henry (#19), luvulongTIM (#25), Dexter (#25)

21. Sinéad O'Connor
Score: 904.04 (Votes: 18)
Ranked Albums: I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got (#30), The Lion and the Cobra (#122)
Ranked Songs: Nothing Compares 2 U (#4), Troy (#226), Mandinka (#533)

Biggest Fan(s):
pauldrach (#5), luvulongTIM (#10), StevieFan13 (#15), bonnielaurel (#22), Michel (#24)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

20. Annie Lennox
Score: 910.59 (Votes: 17)
Known for: Eurythmics, solo
Ranked Albums: Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This…) (#121), Touch (#207)
Ranked Songs: Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) (#16), Here Comes the Rain Again (#210), No More "I Love You's" (#948), Take Me To Your Heart (#962)

Biggest Fan(s):
Red Ant (#11), Live in Phoenix (#13), Henrik (#16), Henry (#17), luvulongTIM (#22), Dan (#22)

19. Agnetha Fältskog and Anni-Frid Lyngstad
Score: 921.29 (Votes: 14)
Known for: ABBA
Ranked Albums: Arrival (#115), Super Trouper (#154), The Album (#242)
Ranked Songs: Dancing Queen (#5), Waterloo (#149), The Winner Takes It All (#213), S.O.S. (#235), Take a Chance on Me (#294), Knowing Me, Knowing You (#343), Eagle (#411), Mamma Mia (#499), Fernando (#507), Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) (#612), Super Trouper (#663), Chiquitita (#756), Lay All Your Love on Me (#855)

Biggest Fan(s):
bonnielaurel (#3), Father2TheMan (#5), StevieFan13 (#5), Dan (#5), Henrik (#10), Red Ant (#12), Bruno (#13), Neil (#15)

18. Carole King
Score: 976.95 (Votes: 16)
Ranked Albums: Tapestry (#9)
Ranked Songs: It's Too Late (#32), I Feel the Earth Move (#146), You've Got a Friend (#166), So Far Away (#258), Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (#563), Beautiful (#585), (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman (#896)

Biggest Fan(s):
Henry (#1), Red Ant (#3), Dexter (#5), sonofsamiam (#13), luney6 (#15), panam (#17), StevieFan13 (#19)

17. Fiona Apple
Score: 992.08 (Votes: 18)
Ranked Albums: When the Pawn (#54), The Idler Wheel (#63), Tidal (#125), Extraordinary Machine (#226)
Ranked Songs: Criminal (#96), Sleep to Dream (#607), Extraordinary Machine (#686), Hot Knife (#741), Fast as You Can (#898), O' Sailor (#925), Paper Bag (#960)

Biggest Fan(s):
andyd1010 (#3), Jirin (#11), pauldrach (#12), StevieFan13 (#13), Father2TheMan (#18), Jackson (#19)

16. Tori Amos
Score: 1003.29 (Votes: 18)
Ranked Albums: Little Earthquakes (#20), Boys for Pele (#150), Under the Pink (#187)
Ranked Songs: Silent All These Years (#148), Cornflake Girl (#151), Winter (#171), Crucify (#271)

Biggest Fan(s):
Live in Phoenix (#6), DocBrown (#7), StevieFan13 (#12), luvulongTIM (#15), bonnielaurel (#18)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

15. Dusty Springfield
Score: 1059.32 (Votes: 19)
Ranked Albums: Dusty in Memphis (#21)
Ranked Songs: Son of a Preacher Man (#11), I Only Want to Be With You (#345), You Don't Have to Say You Love Me (#624), The Windmills of Your Mind (#698)

Biggest Fan(s):
andyd1010 (#10), luney6 (#11), Rob (#13), Dexter (#14), Henrik (#19), Neil (#24)

14. Beth Gibbons
Score: 1114.44 (Votes: 17)
Known for: Portishead
Ranked Albums: Dummy (#5), Third (#23), Out of Season (#72), Portishead (#103)
Ranked Songs: Glory Box (#20), Sour Times (#29), The Rip (#39), Roads (#48), Machine Gun (#77), Mysterons (#518), Cowboys (#539), It's a Fire (#681), All Mine (#691), We Carry On (#837), Numb (#930)

Biggest Fan(s):
Nassim (#3), Petri (#4), Michel (#5), Dan (#6), Henrik (#8), Jackson (#8), pauldrach (#9), BleuPanda (#12), luney6 (#13), Honorio (#16), jamieW (#24)

13. Stevie Nicks
Score: 1187.19 (Votes: 19)
Known for: Fleetwood Mac, solo
Ranked Albums: Rumours (#15), Fleetwood Mac (#128), Bella Donna (#167), Tusk (#215)
Ranked Songs: Landslide (#94), Rhiannon (#106), Dreams (#120), Go Your Own Way (#187), Edge of Seventeen (#215), The Chain (#246), Stand Back (#359), Everywhere (#452), Say You Love Me (#488), Gypsy (#510), Leather and Lace (#608), Songbird (#655), Sara (#832)

Biggest Fan(s):
Red Ant (#2), Father2TheMan (#3), Live in Phoenix (#9), Bruno (#12), jamieW (#13), andyd1010 (#13), Dexter (#15), StevieFan13 (#17), Henrik (#18), Honorio (#20), luney6 (#24)

12. Billie Holiday
Score: 1195.4 (Votes: 18)
Ranked Albums: Lady in Satin (#116), Lady Sings the Blues (#175)
Ranked Songs: Strange Fruit (#7), God Bless the Child (#249), Man I Love (#426), Gloomy Sunday (#574), I'm a Fool to Want You (#650), Summertime (#867)

Biggest Fan(s):
Father2TheMan (#1), Dexter (#3), sonofsamiam (#4), Honorio (#6), luney6 (#9), Bruno (#9), jamieW (#11), panam (#15), bonnielaurel (#16), StevieFan13 (#16), Dan (#16), Hymie (#20), Henrik (#22)

11. Janis Joplin
Score: 1239.87 (Votes: 21)
Known for: solo, Big Brother and the Holding Company
Ranked Albums: Pearl (#44), Cheap Thrills (#50)
Ranked Songs: Me and Bobby McGee (#53), Piece of My Heart (#71), Ball and Chain (#517), Move Over (#622)

Biggest Fan(s):
panam (#7), Dexter (#7), Jirin (#10), Bruno (#10), Henrik (#14), Henry (#16), Rob (#16), StevieFan13 (#18), luney6 (#19), pauldrach (#22)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I want to apologize for the delay in this. My job suddenly got really busy, so I haven't had any free time like normal to post updates. Additionally, the website I was featured on about seven years ago has been caught up in a big controversy, and I contributed to a public document listing our grievances, and I've kind of been a giant ball of anxiety due to this (this is also the reason I started making videos on youtube...even with it being a stressful memory, I'm suddenly nostalgic for what could have been).
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

BleuPanda wrote:I want to apologize for the delay in this. My job suddenly got really busy, so I haven't had any free time like normal to post updates. Additionally, the website I was featured on about seven years ago has been caught up in a big controversy, and I contributed to a public document listing our grievances, and I've kind of been a giant ball of anxiety due to this (this is also the reason I started making videos on youtube...even with it being a stressful memory, I'm suddenly nostalgic for what could have been).
No need at all to apologize, BleuPanda. The amount of work you've put into this project is incredible and life was bound to intervene with a poll this extensive and time-consuming. I wish you the best with your website situation and new YouTube videos.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

jamieW wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:I want to apologize for the delay in this. My job suddenly got really busy, so I haven't had any free time like normal to post updates. Additionally, the website I was featured on about seven years ago has been caught up in a big controversy, and I contributed to a public document listing our grievances, and I've kind of been a giant ball of anxiety due to this (this is also the reason I started making videos on youtube...even with it being a stressful memory, I'm suddenly nostalgic for what could have been).
No need at all to apologize, BleuPanda. The amount of work you've put into this project is incredible and life was bound to intervene with a poll this extensive and time-consuming. I wish you the best with your website situation and new YouTube videos.
I definitely second these thoughts.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

10. Patti Smith
Score: 1259.61 (Votes: 19)
Ranked Albums: Horses (#6), Easter (#170)
Ranked Songs: Gloria (#26), Because the Night (#44), Birdland (#164), Free Money (#414), Land (#416), Piss Factory (#668), Dancing Barefoot (#795), Break It Up (#924)

Biggest Fan(s):
Michel (#4), Jirin (#5), pauldrach (#7), BleuPanda (#8), Honorio (#8), Rob (#10), luney6 (#14), Live in Phoenix (#14), Dexter (#16), sonofsamiam (#19), StevieFan13 (#24)

9. Diana Ross and the Supremes
Score: 1382.06 (Votes: 21)
Ranked Albums: Where Did Our Love Go (#77)
Ranked Songs: Where Did Our Love Go (#33), You Can't Hurry Love (#46), You Keep Me Hangin' On (#90), Baby Love (#122), Stop! In the Name of Love (#175), I'm Coming Out (#421), My World is Empty Without You (#617), Come See About Me (#636), Reflections (#673), Upside Down (#745), Love Child (#941)

Biggest Fan(s):
Henry (#3), Father2TheMan (#4), Bruno (#5), Dexter (#6), Hymie (#11), Neil (#11), bonnielaurel (#12), pauldrach (#14), BleuPanda (#15), jamieW (#18), Red Ant (#18), Dan (#19), Henrik (#24)

8. Debbie Harry
Score: 1392.09 (Votes: 23)
Known for: Blondie
Ranked Albums: Parallel Lines (#11)
Ranked Songs: Heart of Glass (#9), Call Me (#58), Atomic (#104), Rapture (#216), One Way or Another (#284), Hanging on the Telephone (#316), The Tide is High (#626), Dreaming (#751)

Biggest Fan(s):
Michel (#8), Henry (#13), bonnielaurel (#17), Red Ant (#17), Bruno (#17), jamieW (#20), luvulongTIM (#21), andyd1010 (#22), Honorio (#24), Dan (#24), Neil (#25), StevieFan13 (#25), Live in Phoenix (#25)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

7. Nina Simone
Score: 1420.26 (Votes: 20)
Ranked Albums: Pastel Blues (#27), Little Girl Blue (#51), Wild is the Wind (#70)
Ranked Songs: Sinnerman (#12), Feeling Good (#41), My Baby Just Cares for Me (#109), Wild is the Wind (#194), Strange Fruit (#360), Four Women (#502), Lilac Wine (#534), He Needs Me (#648), Mississippi Goddam (#781), Funkier Than a Mosquito's Tweeter (#995)

Biggest Fan(s):
sonofsamiam (#1), Dan (#1), StevieFan13 (#3), Honorio (#3), Henrik (#4), Rob (#5), bonnielaurel (#7), pauldrach (#11), Dexter (#11), Jackson (#11), jamieW (#12), panam (#14), Red Ant (#14), Nassim (#18), BleuPanda (#19)

6. PJ Harvey
Score: 1494.74 (Votes: 20)
Ranked Albums: Let England Shake (#10), To Bring You My Love (#17), Stories from the City Stories From the Sea (#39), Rid of Me (#62), White Chalk (#75), Dry (#93), Is This Desire? (#94), The Hope Six Demolition Project (#200)
Ranked Songs: Down By the Water (#38), The Words That Maketh Murder (#199), Rid of Me (#278), C'mon Billy (#333), The Glorious Land (#349), Sheela-Na-Gig (#409), Dress (#466), All and Everyone (#470), This Mess We're In (#806), Good Fortune (#813)

Biggest Fan(s):
Michel (#1), Jackson (#1), Jirin (#2), Petri (#2), Henrik (#2), Honorio (#2), Rob (#3), BleuPanda (#4), luvulongTIM (#5), Dan (#7), pauldrach (#8), andyd1010 (#9), panam (#12), sonofsamiam (#15), Dexter (#20)

5. Madonna
Score: 1544.26 (Votes: 22)
Ranked Albums: Ray of Light (#22), Like a Prayer (#38), Like a Virgin (#151), Madonna (#160), True Blue (#196)
Ranked Songs: Like a Prayer (#19), Into the Groove (#66), Borderline (#93), Ray of Light (#110), Like a Virgin (#115), Vogue (#127), Live to Tell (#184), Material Girl (#208), Lucky Star (#288), Holiday (#295), Frozen (#335), Hung Up (#364), Express Yourself (#439), Papa Don't Preach (#590), This Used to Be My Playground (#664), Oh Father (#735), Don't Tell Me (#737)

Biggest Fan(s):
Neil (#1), jamieW (#1), StevieFan13 (#2), Bruno (#2), Dan (#4), Henry (#5), sonofsamiam (#5), Henrik (#5), Honorio (#5), Live in Phoenix (#7), bonnielaurel (#10), Dexter (#13), BleuPanda (#16), Father2TheMan (#17), Petri (#18)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

4. Aretha Franklin
Score: 1657.4 (Votes: 22)
Ranked Albums: I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You (#8), Lady Soul (#29), Aretha Now (#228)
Ranked Songs: Respect (#2), I Say A Little Prayer (#35), Think (#52), Chain of Fools (#74), (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman (#82), I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You) (#124), Do Right Woman, Do Right Man (#361), Since You've Been Gone (#450), One Step Ahead (#475), Rock Steady (#808), Baby I Love You (#890)

Biggest Fan(s):
Bruno (#1), andyd1010 (#1), sonofsamiam (#2), Dexter (#2), Jirin (#3), Dan (#3), Hymie (#4), bonnielaurel (#4), panam (#4), StevieFan13 (#4), Father2TheMan (#6), Henrik (#6), Henry (#7), Honorio (#12), pauldrach (#18), Jackson (#20), Neil (#23), BleuPanda (#23)

3. Joni Mitchell
Score: 1688.3 (Votes: 23)
Ranked Albums: Blue (#4), Court and Spark (#25), Ladies of the Canyon (#45), Hejira (#119), The Hissing of Summer Lawns (#146), For the Roses (#199)
Ranked Songs: River (#92), Big Yellow Taxi (#100), Both Sides Now (#108), A Case of You (#182), Help Me (#243), The Circle Game (#338), All I Want (#395), California (#430), Coyote (#462), Free Man in Paris (#484), Blue (#752), Court and Spark (#765), Amelia (#788), Carey (#842), This Flight Tonight (#879), Little Green (#901), In France They Kiss on Main Street (#938)

Biggest Fan(s):
pauldrach (#1), Dexter (#1), DocBrown (#1), Jirin (#1), sonofsamiam (#3), Honorio (#4), Live in Phoenix (#5), Red Ant (#7), BleuPanda (#7), Henry (#8), luney6 (#8), Rob (#8), Henrik (#9), Dan (#10), Petri (#14), andyd1010 (#15)
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

It looks like I voted for everyone in the top 9. My number 1 and 11 remain, but I'm not sure in which order.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Love the high finish for Nina Simone. Looks like similar very top as the albums poll.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

I pretty sure what number 1 is but as far as #2 is concerned, if I only could make a deal with God and I’d get him to swap their places ;)
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

luvulongTIM wrote:I pretty sure what number 1 is but as far as #2 is concerned, if I only could make a deal with God and I’d get him to swap their places ;)
But just saying it could even make it happen!
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

What? I just felt like posting a picture of Cardi B.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Tee hee hee
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I was just giving a preview of how this poll will look in a decade.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

BleuPanda wrote:I was just giving a preview of how this poll will look in a decade.
Laugh or Cry :?:
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

It's wrong to assume because some people included pop acts you don't like that they don't make a distinction between some pop acts and other pop acts.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Also, you're aware that Cardi B's album is actually turning out to be one of the most critically acclaimed albums of 2018 so far, right? (84 on Metacritic with 21 reviews, top 10 of current albums on Any Decent Music, top 30 on AOTY.)
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I might be misunderstanding what's going on regarding Cardi B, but (if I remember correctly from past posts) I think BleuPanda actually likes and supports her. I didn't think the photo was meant as a negative against Cardi B; it was just meant as a good-natured tease toward those on the forum who really (and quite vocally) dislike her. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Bleu ...
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I haven’t heard her music yet. I’ll add it to my list of 2018 albums to check out.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

jamieW wrote:I might be misunderstanding what's going on regarding Cardi B, but (if I remember correctly from past posts) I think BleuPanda actually likes and supports her. I didn't think the photo was meant as a negative against Cardi B; it was just meant as a good-natured tease toward those on the forum who really (and quite vocally) dislike her. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Bleu ...
Yeah, I was just making a tongue-in-cheek joke about the idea of Cardi B of all artists somehow being in our top 2 right now; I was simply coming up with an obvious example of someone we're all familiar with by this point who obviously wouldn't be here - the joke was based in that being a fake update and not a knock against the artist herself.

And, yes, I've been one of the people actively trying to defend Bodak Yellow here.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

2. Kate Bush
Score: 1732.53 (Votes: 24)
Ranked Albums: Hounds of Love (#1), The Kick Inside (#84), The Dreaming (#107)
Ranked Songs: Wuthering Heights (#3), Running Up That Hill (#8), Hounds of Love (#64), Cloudbusting (#134), Sat in Your Lap (#425), Suspended in Gaffa (#432), The Man With a Child in His Eyes (#461), This Woman's Work (#505), And Dream of Sheep (#511), The Big Sky (#642), Babooshka (#690), Jig of Life (#900)

Biggest Fan(s):
Live in Phoenix (#1), luvulongTIM (#2), DocBrown (#3), Henrik (#3), BleuPanda (#5), Jackson (#5), StevieFan13 (#6), Rob (#7), sonofsamiam (#8), Dan (#8), Petri (#10), bonnielaurel (#11), panam (#13), Honorio (#13), Jirin (#14), jamieW (#21), Michel (#23)

1. Björk
Score: 1741.14 (Votes: 22)
Known for: solo, The Sugarcubes
Ranked Albums: Homogenic (#2), Post (#3), Debut (#7), Vespertine (#18), Medulla (#158), Vulnicura (#165), Utopia (#166), Selmasongs (#214)
Ranked Songs: Bachelorette (#22), Hyper-Ballad (#50), Joga (#54), Birthday (#78), Human Behaviour (#95), Pagan Poetry (#99), Venus as a Boy (#101), Army of Me (#133), Isobel (#141), All is Full of Love (#170), It's Oh So Quiet (#183), Hunter (#192), Big Time Sensuality (#196), Unravel (#331), I've Seen It All (#495), Black Lake (#816), Stonemilker (#1000)

Biggest Fan(s):
bonnielaurel (#1), Petri (#1), Henrik (#1), Honorio (#1), panam (#2), BleuPanda (#2), DocBrown (#2), Dan (#2), pauldrach (#3), Michel (#3), Jirin (#4), Jackson (#4), sonofsamiam (#7), Dexter (#8), luvulongTIM (#11), Nassim (#12), Live in Phoenix (#12), jamieW (#17), andyd1010 (#21)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks BleuPanda for the final countdown of the female polls. Fantastic! Now take a well deserved break!

The top 7 were all in my personal top 9. I am absolutely sure this has never happened before. It’s time to get a bit more obscure again, I guess.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I think BleuPanda's avatar is affecting the emotions I read into BleuPanda's posts. :)
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Henrik wrote:Thanks BleuPanda for the final countdown of the female polls. Fantastic! Now take a well deserved break!

The top 7 were all in my personal top 9. I am absolutely sure this has never happened before. It’s time to get a bit more obscure again, I guess.
I feel your pain... the top three were my top three (albeit in completely random order).

Again, BleuPanda, my respect and appreciation for this most massive undertaking.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Great job BleuPanda!

As one of the old-timers here, I am clearly not aligned with the typical voter in this poll as I had Bjork at 163, Kate Bush at 46 and Joni Mitchell at 8. I enjoy being different than the rest of voters, especially in a forum like this one where almost everyone is quite civil.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Absolutely epic work, BleuPanda! All three polls were perfectly designed and revealed from beginning to end. Can't thank you enough for everything you've done for us.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Listened out a couple Cardi B songs. Nothing wrong with them. Meter goes well with the smooth beats. Her accent sometimes makes it sound a bit awkward. But I like that there are some piano and latin rhythms rather than the expected cut and paste sounding bass lines.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Thanks BleuPanda. This was an excellent idea perfectly executed.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Yeah I gotta say, when I first heard about this poll, I predicted the top 3 would be Joni Kate and Bjork. Happy to get it right! Even if I think Joni should be number one. Thank you BleuPanda for an incredible rollout
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Thanks for all the work, BP. I hope this poll will contribute to more recognition for female artists and better representation in general lists.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Congratulations! Only a question: Why the female members of Fleetwood Mac have separated positions on the list?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

panam wrote:Congratulations! Only a question: Why the female members of Fleetwood Mac have separated positions on the list?

It was an option to list people separately; I ultimately decided to combine other bands, but both from Fleetwood Mac consistently got separate votes, even within lists, so I decided to keep them separate.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Thanks for the work! I wish I had participated in this poll and the 00s album poll cos it would've changed who the number one is.
I feel like that
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

BleuPanda,

Thank you so much for coming up with this poll! I am always amazed at people's tastes and how much they differ from my own. The top 10 is excellent. I wonder how much it will change next time around? Great job with this rollout. I enjoyed it very much. I am sorry to hear about you being a "ball of anxiety". Hopefully, things will get better. I always enjoy your polls/rollouts.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Amazing job, Bleu!

Thanks!!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

BleuPanda wrote:
jamieW wrote:I might be misunderstanding what's going on regarding Cardi B, but (if I remember correctly from past posts) I think BleuPanda actually likes and supports her. I didn't think the photo was meant as a negative against Cardi B; it was just meant as a good-natured tease toward those on the forum who really (and quite vocally) dislike her. Please correct me if I'm wrong, Bleu ...
Yeah, I was just making a tongue-in-cheek joke about the idea of Cardi B of all artists somehow being in our top 2 right now; I was simply coming up with an obvious example of someone we're all familiar with by this point who obviously wouldn't be here - the joke was based in that being a fake update and not a knock against the artist herself.

And, yes, I've been one of the people actively trying to defend Bodak Yellow here.
Bodak Yellow really is terrific and Cardi B is a riot.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

BleuPanda wrote:
panam wrote:Congratulations! Only a question: Why the female members of Fleetwood Mac have separated positions on the list?

It was an option to list people separately; I ultimately decided to combine other bands, but both from Fleetwood Mac consistently got separate votes, even within lists, so I decided to keep them separate.
Wondered about the special treatment for Fleetwood Mac too. The rule on this matter should have been made clear before the poll. For instance, I wouldn't have placed Diana Ross so high on my list if she is ranked solely on her contributions with the Supremes. In any case, superb presentation, very impressed with the pictures.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”