"The Smashing Pumpkins" according to

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-sma ... iscography

:music-guitarred:
DDD troll account
Let's Get It On

Re: The AMF Top Songs of All Time 2018 Edition

Post by DDD troll account »

Also: https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/the-smashing-pumpkins

Thé Småshiñg Pümpkiñs is probably correct.
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

talking about smashing pumpkins I would like to know ...

Today is the greatest day ???
Fetch the Bolt Cutters...
phil
Unquestionable Presence

Post by phil »

Billy Corgan himself said just “Smashing Pumpkins” in his appearance on The Simpsons:

Billy Corgan: Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins
Homer: Homer Simpson, smiling politely

(though it was probably also to make the joke work)
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

Uses the top 10,000 standard of Aclamed Music :animals-dogrun:
Fetch the Bolt Cutters...
FrankLotion
Movin' On Up

Post by FrankLotion »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:You know what, looking at spreadsheets hurts my eyes too much to get this done when I promised. September 15 is the day, and no takebacks. And who knows, maybe it will be ready even sooner.
Getting PTSD flashbacks of the Boys Don’t Cry rollout here :( but for real hope to see the list drop soon! :mrgreen:
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

FrankLotion wrote:
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:You know what, looking at spreadsheets hurts my eyes too much to get this done when I promised. September 15 is the day, and no takebacks. And who knows, maybe it will be ready even sooner.
Getting PTSD flashbacks of the Boys Don’t Cry rollout here :( but for real hope to see the list drop soon! :mrgreen:
Hey, as long as it's still September 15 in some time zones, I'm still in the clear! :D

Just be patient for a few hours more...
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Great!
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Elder wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHdiqTOsvz4

Is this video from the most recent list?
Yes, it is! I made it myself, in fact. But I'm definitely not making one for this year. Anyone else is welcome to take up the task.
I’m game!
By the way, Stevie... did you ever end up working on this? Because if you haven't, I totally understand. It's certainly a massive undertaking, so I could never blame you if you decided to just forgo it. But hey, no harm in asking.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
Sweepstakes Ron wrote: Yes, it is! I made it myself, in fact. But I'm definitely not making one for this year. Anyone else is welcome to take up the task.
I’m game!
By the way, Stevie... did you ever end up working on this? Because if you haven't, I totally understand. It's certainly a massive undertaking, so I could never blame you if you decided to just forgo it. But hey, no harm in asking.
Sadly, I never did. I'd try and get to it if I didn't have a bunch of last-minute college things to get to.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Akhenaten »

StevieFan13 wrote: 17 | The Muppets | The Rainbow Connection | 1979
Steviefan, hope you don't mind me asking, but do you really prefer the 1979 original version to the 2011 re-recording? Because, perhaps controversially, I far prefer the re-make.

Ok, the 1979 version has a nice simplicity to it, with, other than the lead singer, barely another member of the band featuring on the track - much like Paul McCartney on the Beatles' Yesterday - but, I kind of find that a rather self-indulgent and egotistical act, especially when you have a band of such virtuosity at hand; I believe it was this type of exclusion that led to the original break-up of the band.

The singer has a fragile voice (much like that of Jonathan Donahue of Mercury Rev) that I find rather endearing, but I'm not convinced his voice, on that original version, can hold interest throughout the whole song.

In fact, personally I think, the subsequent break-up of the band was good thing for everyone in the long run. The lead singer, of course, went on to further success forming Black Grape with a post-Happy Mondays, Shaun Ryder, changing his style quite dramatically, and I feel this was exactly the catharic Tin-Machine-esque break that was needed for all.

So, when the Muppets re-formed circa 2011, they were a much re-vitalised and more-inclusive unit altogether. In the re-make of The Rainbow Connection, the vulnerability of the lead singer's voice now blends beautifully with the strong vocals of the vivacious female vocalist. And then the song opens up into a joyous riot with the band's huge ensemble of singers joining in for the massive finale - the overall affect is quite immense.

Extraordinarily this is then topped, at 2:34, when the drummer kicks in (squashing forever accusations that he was just a Keith Moon replicant). His cry of relief can even be heard, audibly releasing his previously suppressed tub-thumping talent - it sets the hairs on my neck on end every time I hear it!

Genuinely, I do love it!
But I was caught, like a fleeting thought,
Stuck inside Leonard Cohen's mind
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Akhenaten wrote:
Steviefan, hope you don't mind me asking, but do you really prefer the 1979 original version to the 2011 re-recording? Because, perhaps controversially, I far prefer the re-make.

Ok, the 1979 version has a nice simplicity to it, with, other than the lead singer, barely another member of the band featuring on the track - much like Paul McCartney on the Beatles' Yesterday - but, I kind of find that a rather self-indulgent and egotistical act, especially when you have a band of such virtuosity at hand; I believe it was this type of exclusion that led to the original break-up of the band.

The singer has a fragile voice (much like that of Jonathan Donahue of Mercury Rev) that I find rather endearing, but I'm not convinced his voice, on that original version, can hold interest throughout the whole song.

In fact, personally I think, the subsequent break-up of the band was good thing for everyone in the long run. The lead singer, of course, went on to further success forming Black Grape with a post-Happy Mondays, Shaun Ryder, changing his style quite dramatically, and I feel this was exactly the catharic Tin-Machine-esque break that was needed for all.

So, when the Muppets re-formed circa 2011, they were a much re-vitalised and more-inclusive unit altogether. In the re-make of The Rainbow Connection, the vulnerability of the lead singer's voice now blends beautifully with the strong vocals of the vivacious female vocalist. And then the song opens up into a joyous riot with the band's huge ensemble of singers joining in for the massive finale - the overall affect is quite immense.

Extraordinarily this is then topped, at 2:34, when the drummer kicks in (squashing forever accusations that he was just a Keith Moon replicant). His cry of relief can even be heard, audibly releasing his previously suppressed tub-thumping talent - it sets the hairs on my neck on end every time I hear it!

Genuinely, I do love it!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Is anyone going to plug the results into correlation and multiple regression analysts like in previous years. That’s always fun.
Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Akhenaten »

I've been having a listen to some songs that I didn't know that people had at the top of their lists, found some great stuff. Thanks all for posting your lists!

These are some of my finds...

Slick:
Raphael Saadiq - Stone Rollin'

Hymie:
Muddy Waters - Don't Go No Farther
Champion Jack Dupree - Rub A Little Boogie
Sticks McGhee - Head Happy With Wine
(I'm going to check out more of Hymie's list, it's fab)

Henrik:
Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name (never enjoyed Iron Maiden before!)
Anaïs Mitchell - Why We Build The Wall (this hits home at the moment)
Ketty Lester - Love Letters (hadn't heard the original before)

Steviefan:
The Muppets - Rainbow Connection (Hope people didn't think I was making fun of Stevie for this choice in my previous post, I was trying to have fun with what I thought was a truly inspired choice)
Neko Case - I Wish I Was The Moon

Bonnielaurel:
Louis Armstrong - A Kiss To Build A Dream On

Nassim:
DJ Shadow: Building Steam From A Grain Of Salt

Acroamor:
Japandroids - The House That Heaven Built
Lady Lamb - Bird Balloons
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Akhenaten wrote:
Steviefan:
The Muppets - Rainbow Connection (Hope people didn't think I was making fun of Stevie for this choice in my previous post, I was trying to have fun with what I thought was a truly inspired choice)
And just to be abundantly clear, Waldorf and Stadtler were not scoring your excellent parody, but expressing the opinion that you're #1.

I think. You can never be sure with Muppets.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Akhenaten wrote: Hymie:
The correct version of "Rub A Little Boogie" is not on youtube or anywhere else that I know of. The one there is an alternate that's not near as good as the correct version. The alternate is on all of the CDs and LPs. You need the 45 to get the right version. I'll send you the correct one if you want to give me your email address.

Little Walter's harmonica break on "Don't Go No Farther" is the best harp break ever IMO. The Doors do a halfway decent version on the flip side of "Love Her Madly," not on an album. They call it "You Need Meat."
Akhenaten
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Akhenaten »

Hymie wrote:
Akhenaten wrote: Hymie:
The correct version of "Rub A Little Boogie" is not on youtube or anywhere else that I know of. The one there is an alternate that's not near as good as the correct version. The alternate is on all of the CDs and LPs. You need the 45 to get the right version. I'll send you the correct one if you want to give me your email address.
Yes, if you could email me it, that would be fantastic. I'll PM you my email address.
I'm pretty sure my mum once told me her favourite musician was Champion Jack Dupree, but like an idiot I never asked her about him or looked into him at all (sadly she's no longer with us). I think I thought he was a white, english clarinet player, like Acker Bilk, because she did like him, but I couldn't have been much more wrong!
Hymie wrote: Little Walter's harmonica break on "Don't Go No Farther" is the best harp break ever IMO. The Doors do a halfway decent version on the flip side of "Love Her Madly," not on an album. They call it "You Need Meat."
Just had a listen to the Doors version, you're right it's not bad, not a patch on Muddy and Little Walter.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”