The AMF Top Songs of All Time 2018 Edition

StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: The AMF Top Songs of All Time 2018 Edition

Post by StevieFan13 »

Can we count madzong's list? It's well-thought-out, I think. Also it's only 98 songs, so it shouldn't take too long to add (if Gillingham's can get in with 100).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

StevieFan13 wrote:Can we count madzong's list? It's well-thought-out, I think. Also it's only 98 songs, so it shouldn't take too long to add (if Gillingham's can get in with 100).
Sorry but...isn’t it countryspecific!?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Henrik wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Can we count madzong's list? It's well-thought-out, I think. Also it's only 98 songs, so it shouldn't take too long to add (if Gillingham's can get in with 100).
Yeah, might've been my bad. I had suggested he add some Kiwi flavor to the proceedings, but I'm not sure if I was clear that it didn't mean his whole list had to be New Zealand songs.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Henrik wrote:
Yeah, might've been my bad. I had suggested he add some Kiwi flavor to the proceedings, but I'm not sure if I was clear that it didn't mean his whole list had to be New Zealand songs.
Just curious - I didn't know all the criteria - but if my list just contained songs from the UK or just the USA, would anyone have said anything or noticed?
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

madzong wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
Henrik wrote: Sorry but...isn’t it countryspecific!?
Just curious - I didn't know all the criteria - but if my list just contained songs from the UK or just the USA, would anyone have said anything or noticed?
I mean, if there had been a ton of American songs I might've been like "gee, sure seemed like he'd like the Clash or the Beatles, where they at..."
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Hey, sorry for the radio silence... I appreciate you getting a list ready, madzong, but I think I have to be true to my word about the hard deadline and leave your list out. Either way, your list fails to meet the minimum of 200 required to be included. Regardless, I hope this doesn't discourage you from partaking in future polls!
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

How's it going, Sweepstakes Ron?
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Live in Phoenix wrote:How's it going, Sweepstakes Ron?
It's going well, thank you. I leave for a family vacation on August 11, so I hope to have the work necessary to begin the rollout complete before then, which seems like a fairly feasible goal.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

"Moon River" has received several votes credited to Henry Mancini, Audrey Hepburn, or Henry Mancini feat. Audrey Hepburn. I am aware that there are different versions of the song in the original movie, but I decided to combine all these votes in order to avoid confusion over which version each voter was referring to. Does that seem reasonable?
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:"Moon River" has received several votes credited to Henry Mancini, Audrey Hepburn, or Henry Mancini feat. Audrey Hepburn. I am aware that there are different versions of the song in the original movie, but I decided to combine all these votes in order to avoid confusion over which version each voter was referring to. Does that seem reasonable?
As one of the Mancini voters, that's fine with me.

Also, I voted
364 | Sufjan Stevens | Impossible Soul Part 5 - Pleasure Principle

If you want to just count that for Impossible Soul as a whole, that's fine with me too. Thanks!
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

andyd1010 wrote:
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:"Moon River" has received several votes credited to Henry Mancini, Audrey Hepburn, or Henry Mancini feat. Audrey Hepburn. I am aware that there are different versions of the song in the original movie, but I decided to combine all these votes in order to avoid confusion over which version each voter was referring to. Does that seem reasonable?
As one of the Mancini voters, that's fine with me.

Also, I voted
364 | Sufjan Stevens | Impossible Soul Part 5 - Pleasure Principle

If you want to just count that for Impossible Soul as a whole, that's fine with me too. Thanks!
Same situation, and that works with me.
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

"Henry Mancini feat. Audrey Hepburn" I've never heard of this version

are different interpretations, but the Audrey version is a cover within the same film of the music of the Henry
Fetch the Bolt Cutters...
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

It's your job, it's your boss.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

There are three officially released versions of "Moon River", we talked about it some years ago.
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/vi ... 888#p56053
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Regarding Moon River, I specifically did not vote for the Audrey Hepburn version, as I don't like her singing, but I'm fine if people prefer to combine them as they are variations of a song that originally all appeared in the same movie.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I voted for the simple and spare (therefore "uncommercial") Audrey Hepburn version but I'll be more than happy if it's decided that all versions of the song in the movie are combined, i.e., Henry Mancini/Audrey Hepburn, "Moon River," since it would mean a higher ranking for the song. All versions are connected to movie which uses the song as its theme (the instrumental and Aubrey's version are used in the film while the choral version is in the album soundtrack), thus, it is unlike a cover or remake.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Dexter wrote:I voted for the simple and spare (therefore "uncommercial") Audrey Hepburn version but I'll be more than happy if it's decided that all versions of the song in the movie are combined, i.e., Henry Mancini/Audrey Hepburn, "Moon River," since it would mean a higher ranking for the song. All versions are connected to movie which uses the song as its theme (the instrumental and Aubrey's version are used in the film while the choral version is in the album soundtrack), thus, it is unlike a cover or remake.
If these are combined then I think by the same logic Julee Cruise's Falling would be combined with the Twin Peaks theme song (which I voted for separately).
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Jackson wrote: If these are combined then I think by the same logic Julee Cruise's Falling would be combined with the Twin Peaks theme song (which I voted for separately).
You're right. I don't mind that too (Angelo Badalamenti/Julee Cruise, "Theme from Twin Peaks/Falling") but then I didn't vote for either.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Dexter wrote:
Jackson wrote: If these are combined then I think by the same logic Julee Cruise's Falling would be combined with the Twin Peaks theme song (which I voted for separately).
You're right. I don't mind that too (Angelo Badalamenti/Julee Cruise, "Theme from Twin Peaks/Falling") but then I didn't vote for either.
I've been keeping those separate, since not only are they listed separately on AM, but there have been multiple lists (in addition to Jackson's) that list both of them.
whuntva
Keep On Movin'

Post by whuntva »

Rob wrote:Regarding Moon River, I specifically did not vote for the Audrey Hepburn version, as I don't like her singing, but I'm fine if people prefer to combine them as they are variations of a song that originally all appeared in the same movie.
Me too. I singled out Andy Williams' version.
" Ah, yes! Our meager restitution"
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

https://www.amazon.com/Breakfast-Tiffan ... B00LJIIDWY

on amazon's website the versions of Audrey and Henry are part of the soundtrack.
on allmusic.com just the henry version.

I do not know if it would be a single or just an interpretation for the movie like in that case:

Ross and Rachel: I Like Big Butts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOEyyTfcFms
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Dexter wrote:
I've been keeping those separate, since not only are they listed separately on AM, but there have been multiple lists (in addition to Jackson's) that list both of them.
Oh, good, then I don’t have to get into a discussion about the important differences, year-wise and texturally, between, say, "Suicide Is Painless" and the TV instrumental; or the Star Wars theme and the "Life Day" Carrie Fisher version.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Dexter wrote:
I have them both. These are odd cases. A difference with Moon River is that Falling was originally unrelated to Twin Peaks.
juliejames
Debut

Post by juliejames »

Elder wrote:https://www.amazon.com/Breakfast-Tiffan ... B00LJIIDWY

on amazon's website the versions of Audrey and Henry are part of the soundtrack.
on allmusic.com just the henry version.

I do not know if it would be a single or just an interpretation for the movie like in that case:

Ross and Rachel: I Like Big Butts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOEyyTfcFms
really Amazing Video I download this video from youtubetomp3.zone
Last edited by juliejames on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Live in Phoenix wrote:How's it going, Sweepstakes Ron?
It's going well, thank you. I leave for a family vacation on August 11, so I hope to have the work necessary to begin the rollout complete before then, which seems like a fairly feasible goal.
Okay, so that's probably not happening. I can at least promise to be finished before September...

On an unrelated note, I still need Setherex to respond to my PM, but he hasn't been on here in weeks. Does anyone here have another way of contacting him?
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
On an unrelated note, I still need Setherex to respond to my PM, but he hasn't been on here in weeks. Does anyone here have another way of contacting him?
He usually visits the forums at RYM every week or so. Last there on August 5. Same username.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

I'm really looking forward to it, that'll be great!
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Let me make a promise I can keep: rollout begins September 6. Izzat cool with everyone?
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Let me make a promise I can keep: rollout begins September 6. Izzat cool with everyone?
Sounds good, Sweepstakes Ron. As someone you were very patient with when it came to submitting my list, I'm happy for you to take all the time you need! :D
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Let me make a promise I can keep: rollout begins September 6. Izzat cool with everyone?

If it were possible I wanted a spoiler ...

How many individual lists does a song need to appear to enter the top 2000? :D :D :D :music-guitarred:
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Elder wrote:

How many individual lists does a song need to appear to enter the top 2000? :D :D :D :music-guitarred:
I will say, there are some songs that entered the top 2000 with only 2 votes.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

You know what, looking at spreadsheets hurts my eyes too much to get this done when I promised. September 15 is the day, and no takebacks. And who knows, maybe it will be ready even sooner.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:You know what, looking at spreadsheets hurts my eyes too much to get this done when I promised. September 15 is the day, and no takebacks. And who knows, maybe it will be ready even sooner.
This sounds a lot like my posts about coming site updates, especially the bit about the eyes. Take care. Nothing will ever be more important than your health.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
TheLastEnemy
Movin' On Up

Post by TheLastEnemy »

Hi Sweepstakes Ron

I owe you a big apology; I said I would help you with this, and other than adding a few lists in at the beginning, I have done nothing. I can only say that I have had a very bad few months health-wise, and apologise again, and add that if you would like my help with anything at this late stage I am more than happy to help.
Presenter of 'The New Music Show' on www.welcomberadio.org.uk, Thursdays 6-8pm (UK time)
Listen later: https://www.mixcloud.com/chris-last/
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

TheLastEnemy wrote:Hi Sweepstakes Ron

I owe you a big apology; I said I would help you with this, and other than adding a few lists in at the beginning, I have done nothing. I can only say that I have had a very bad few months health-wise, and apologise again, and add that if you would like my help with anything at this late stage I am more than happy to help.
It's alright. Like Henrik said, your health is always most important. And I do greatly appreciate the work that you were able to complete. The truth is, after a while, the spreadsheet became far too large to manage in Google Sheets, and I had to move it to Excel. So at this point, there's probably not much anyone else besides me can do. I've already added everyone's list, all I'm doing now is extensive double-checking (which has, indeed, brought up a few mistakes) and presentation details, the latter of which can be partially completed during the actual rollout.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:You know what, looking at spreadsheets hurts my eyes too much to get this done when I promised. September 15 is the day, and no takebacks. And who knows, maybe it will be ready even sooner.
Take your time man. Nothing is more important than your health. We'll be fine until you are ready.
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Elder wrote:

I will say, there are some songs that entered the top 2000 with only 2 votes.
is enough to have great expectations ...
Run
Forrest Gump

and + 3 Brazilian songs
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Actually, I've just realized of a much more efficient way to do the double-checking, so the results may be ready sooner than you think!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Actually, I've just realized of a much more efficient way to do the double-checking, so the results may be ready sooner than you think!
Today! :music-rockon:

;)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

andyramones1234 wrote:199- Eric Clapton - Layla
Since andyramones1234 is on here so rarely, I was unable to get an answer from him as to whether is is actually the Derek and the Dominos version, or the acoustic solo version. Until I hear from him, I'll go with the latter.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Well, I inadvertently left my computer charger behind and had to wait a couple of days to get it back, so that certainly didn't help...
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

I should probably mention: I currently have The Beatles "Revolution" and "Revolution 1" as separate entries, unlike on AM. Krurze had both versions on his list, and I feel as if the two recordings aren't really interchangeable. Bootsy and Nicolas had only "Revolution 1" on their lists, but I don't know if they were expecting the points from their votes to go to "Revolution".
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Regarding MOON RIVER, the Jerry Butler version was by far the biggest hit single, and BY FAR the best version IMO. I can't believe you geeks prefer it by Mancini and Williams.
Elder
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Elder »

MOON RIVER is only relevant because of the movie.
The only MOON RIVER in which I see a beautiful and miserable girl looking at the window of a jeweler on the outside is Henry's version.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

The results will be ready any day now, but there's still one thing I need to clear up...

Is it "The Smashing Pumpkins" or just "Smashing Pumpkins"?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:The results will be ready any day now, but there's still one thing I need to clear up...

I’ve always just said Smashing Pumpkins.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:The results will be ready any day now, but there's still one thing I need to clear up...

On their Facebook page they are The Smashing Pumpkins
woodymac
Strange Fruit

Post by woodymac »

I believe it is The Smashing Pumpkins
What will happen in the morning
when the world it gets so crowded that you can’t look out the window in the morning?
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Based on album covers, I'd say it was Smashing Pumpkins for the first 2 albums and they then added the The around the release of Mellon Collie, but Zeitgeist doesn't fit the pattern.
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

According to Range Life by Pavement it's The Smashing Pumpkins. Definitive answer.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”