AMF's Top 1000 Songs by Women

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: AMF's Top 1000 Songs by Women

Post by BleuPanda »

Jackson wrote:That is a crazy high placement for Rolling in the Deep. I like the song well enough but is it really the #1 song on the list from the 2010s? And above Unfinished Sympathy, Heartbeats, and Glory Box? One of the stories of this poll is the Adele and Amy Winehouse re-appreciation movement.

I'm not sure 're-appreciation' is correct. 11 of the 33 people who submitted lists to this did not submit lists in the 2015 all-time poll:
andyd1010
Duncan Thaw
Father2TheMan
Honorio
Hymie
Neil
panam
pauldrach
Petri
prosecutorgodot
StevieFan13

So, I'm sure a lot of changes in placement have more to do with the taste of new voters than it does with older users drastically changing their opinion. There were also 52 voters in the last all-time poll, meaning 30 people who voted then are not present here; a song losing one or two big fans can really hurt its rank.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

#8 is the highest song with no top 10 votes.

Heaven is a place on earth with you
10. Lana Del Rey - Video Games (2011)
Score: 1,129.62 (Votes: 20)
2015 AMF Rank: 11
AM Rank: 35

Biggest Fan(s):
notbrianeno (#10), bonnielaurel (#18), DaveC (#18), Live in Phoenix (#25)
Love is so confusing, there's no peace of mind
9. Blondie - Heart of Glass (1978)
Score: 1,141.42 (Votes: 20)
2015 AMF Rank: 31
AM Rank: 13

Biggest Fan(s):
andyd1010 (#13), Henry (#16), Listyguy (#29)
Let's exchange the experience
8. Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God) (1985)
Score: 1,152.46 (Votes: 20)
2015 AMF Rank: 29
AM Rank: 33

Biggest Fan(s):
panam (#16), prosecutorgodot (#17), notbrianeno (#22)
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Jackson wrote:That is a crazy high placement for Rolling in the Deep. I like the song well enough but is it really the #1 song on the list from the 2010s? And above Unfinished Sympathy, Heartbeats, and Glory Box? One of the stories of this poll is the Adele and Amy Winehouse re-appreciation movement.
That definitely surprised me as well. Could it be a slight demographic shift? Or perhaps the users are softening up more towards traditional pop styles?

I do believe there is a 2010s song still to come in the top 10...
Totally forgot Video Games, good call.

Agree on all of BleuPanda's points above. The good thing about voter turnover is that while I don't agree with some of the changes, other songs that had huge shifts are delightful, like "Running Up That Hill" moving from 29 to 8.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

The format of this could also switch things up. Like, if someone largely favors music by men, then the songs by women they do like are going to look stronger here. For example, say someone's favorite song by a woman is only their #23 overall; suddenly being boosted 22 spots is going to have a noticeable effect. Meanwhile, people who greatly favor songs by women won't have as much of an effect. Also consider the differences; if someone's favorite song by a woman is also their favorite of all time, but their tenth favorite is #50 all-time, that second song essentially got a 40-placement boost while not actually changing its position. Essentially, this poll is closing the gaps, which most likely won't be reflected much in the all-time list. Some of these songs have certainly grown stronger with new members; but similarly, I'm sure there are plenty of votes in the 50+ range that made an impressionable effect here that when scaled back won't mean much.

...Sorry to rain on the good vibes of this project right as we reach the end - but I do think these are important issues to note.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

This is also why I like highlighting the songs that placed highest among their number of votes - though Fever Ray's "I'm Not Done" landed at space 396 here, the fact it received two #2 votes suggests it has a better chance of landing in our all-time top 1000 than quite a few of the songs that landed higher here.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

#7 has 2 less votes than anything else in the top 10 (or even top 14), but makes up for it by having a ton of top 25 votes.

Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
7. Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit (1939)
Score: 1,216.23 (Votes: 16)
2015 AMF Rank: 3
AM Rank: 8

Biggest Fan(s):
sonofsamiam (#1), nicolas (#1), Dexter (#2), jamieW (#5), StevieFan13 (#6), Honorio (#8), DaveC (#9), Listyguy (#9), Bruno (#14), antonius (#21), bonnielaurel (#22)
No one on the corner has swagger like us
6. M.I.A. - Paper Planes (2007)
Score: 1,238.20 (Votes: 18)
2015 AMF Rank: 4
AM Rank: 3

Biggest Fan(s):
StevieFan13 (#9), andyd1010 (#9), panam (#10), BleuPanda (#11), Bruno (#17), DaveC (#22), Jackson (#23)
You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
5. ABBA - Dancing Queen (1976)
Score: 1,238.60 (Votes: 22)
2015 AMF Rank: 16
AM Rank: 12

Biggest Fan(s):
prosecutorgodot (#1), Bruno (#5), Honorio (#23), StevieFan13 (#24)
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Heartbeats and Glory Box are very good, but I don't get the sense of a climactic emotional moment like I do in most of my favorite songs. I get that with Rolling in the Deep when she layers high harmonies on top of the final chorus. I'm also not a huge fan of Karin Dreijer's singing, and I think it's mostly because of her accent (rhyming "good" with "food"), although this is one of the few songs of hers that I still enjoy. Rolling in the Deep just has such incredible appeal. It's catchy, soulful, passionate - I don't know if there's been a more appealing pop song in my lifetime. I still didn't expect it to do so well here.

I don't get the love for Unfinished Sympathy at all. There are no discernible motifs. The only things that resemble hooks are the hey heyyy hey, which just sounds creepy to me, and the percussion pattern, which also sounds like it's meant to be creepy. The singer sings well technically, but I just listened to the song 15 minutes ago and not a single note she sang stuck with me. I still bet it would have beaten Rolling in the Deep if people didn't omit it because it's by an all-male group.
panam wrote:
andyd1010 wrote:This has been great - thanks BleuPanda. How had I never heard of Natalia Lafourcade before? Discovered Tú Sí Sabes Quererme from the EOY poll and now discovered Hasta la Raíz here. They're both so good! I listened to a couple others off of Hasta la Raíz and they're not nearly at that standard, but does anyone have any other recommendations from her catalog?
I think all her albums have good songs. I used to recommend her album "Hu hu hu" from 2009. You could listen "Azul" or "Cursis melodías" and if you like that mood you listen to the rest of the album. Also she's going to perform this year in the Academy Awards with Miguel singing "Remember me" from the Coco movie Soundtrack.
Thanks, I enjoyed it, but for me nothing matched the magic of those two songs. Let's Get Out was my favorite.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Happy to see Dancing Queen place so high (beating "Strange Fruit"?? Wow. And edged out "Paper Planes" by 0.4, too.). And incredible to see Kate Bush do so well.

I feel like the battle for #2 is pretty close.

Throughout the poll, Red Ant and andyd2010 have had very similar placements. In case they haven't noticed yet, there might be some worthwhile recommendations between them, dunno.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Much like "Sinnerman," I had higher expectations for "Strange Fruit." I thought it has an outside shot at #1. That was based on me just noticing it was highly placed on a lot of lists, and I didn't take into account that it was on less lists.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Listyguy wrote:Much like "Sinnerman," I had higher expectations for "Strange Fruit." I thought it has an outside shot at #1. That was based on me just noticing it was highly placed on a lot of lists, and I didn't take into account that it was on less lists.
Yes! I somehow just assumed "Strange Fruit" was #1. I know it couldn't be about any more of a depressing subject, but its power is nearly unequaled. To be honest, it's difficult for me to imagine it missing any lists, but I'm sure that's how many feel about their favorites (though for far different reasons).
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

BleuPanda wrote:
Scent of magnolia, clean and fresh, then the sudden smell of burnin' flesh
360. Nina Simone - Strange Fruit (1965)
Score: 203.67 (Votes: 3)
2015 AMF Rank: unranked
AM Rank: unranked
The Nina Simone version, which is also excellent, split the "Strange Fruit" votes. Even if we combine the two, I think we still have a runaway #1.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Dexter wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:
Scent of magnolia, clean and fresh, then the sudden smell of burnin' flesh
Score: 203.67 (Votes: 3)
2015 AMF Rank: unranked
AM Rank: unranked
The Nina Simone version, which is also excellent, split the "Strange Fruit" votes. Even if we combine the two, I think we still have a runaway #1.

Nassim is the only one who voted for the Nina Simone version and not for the Billie Holiday version.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

It's been seven hours and fifteen days since you took your love away
4. Sinéad O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U (1990)
Score: 1,249.58 (Votes: 23)
2015 AMF Rank: 17
AM Rank: 15

Biggest Fan(s):
Krurze (#7), Michel (#8), Bruno (#16), Red Ant (#17), Dexter (#24)
I hated you, I loved you too
3. Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights (1978)
Score: 1,316.00 (Votes: 18)
2015 AMF Rank: 2
AM Rank: 21

Biggest Fan(s):
Sweepstakes Ron (#1), Neil (#4), bonnielaurel (#5), BleuPanda (#7), Live in Phoenix (#9), StevieFan13 (#10), Henrik (#10), Jackson (#13), Red Ant (#16)
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

jamieW wrote:
Listyguy wrote:Much like "Sinnerman," I had higher expectations for "Strange Fruit." I thought it has an outside shot at #1. That was based on me just noticing it was highly placed on a lot of lists, and I didn't take into account that it was on less lists.
Yes! I somehow just assumed "Strange Fruit" was #1. I know it couldn't be about any more of a depressing subject, but its power is nearly unequaled. To be honest, it's difficult for me to imagine it missing any lists, but I'm sure that's how many feel about their favorites (though for far different reasons).
The subject matter is actually the only thing that I appreciate about that song. I've never been able to get into Billie Holiday's voice or any of the melodies she sings.

A lot of you guys were pumped about Feeling Good too. I like Nina Simone's version,
but Muse's version has always been a personal favorite.
prosecutorgodot wrote:Happy to see Dancing Queen place so high (beating "Strange Fruit"?? Wow. And edged out "Paper Planes" by 0.4, too.). And incredible to see Kate Bush do so well.

I feel like the battle for #2 is pretty close.

Throughout the poll, Red Ant and andyd2010 have had very similar placements. In case they haven't noticed yet, there might be some worthwhile recommendations between them, dunno.
I hadn't noticed! I will check it out. At first glance, I did not vote for any of his top 9, and I haven't heard of most of them, so I'll give them a listen.

Last year I compiled a lot of your all-time top 100s from past polls, and my own list was much more similar to the AMF poll results and AM than any individual list. Not sure what that says about me. I've found lots of good recommendations from you guys but no one whose taste is reliably similar to mine across the board.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Find out what it means to me
2. Aretha Franklin - Respect (1967)
Score: 1,460.11 (Votes: 21)
2015 AMF Rank: 5
AM Rank: 2

Biggest Fan(s):
Henry (#1), Bruno (#1), StevieFan13 (#2), panam (#4), Dexter (#4), andyd1010 (#8), Dan (#10), Hymie (#11), prosecutorgodot (#12), nicolas (#12)
I'll make you happy, baby, just wait and see
1. The Ronettes - Be My Baby (1963)
Score: 1,515.61 (Votes: 23)
2015 AMF Rank: 1
AM Rank: 1

Biggest Fan(s):
Jackson (#1), andyd1010 (#1), Honorio (#1), Bruno(#3), Dexter (#6), sonofsamiam (#8), Dan (#11), Listyguy (#17), StevieFan13 (#20)
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Great number one! I didn't realize Be My Baby would be so dominant in this poll even as I voted it in the top spot.

Fantsstic job on the roll-out, BleuPanda
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

"Be My Baby" is a deserving no. 1, a song I discovered through AM since I've only looked at MTV and VH1 countdowns before. (Oddly, the song is nowhere to be found in VH1's 100 Greatest Rock Songs)
I'm also happy for "Nothing Compares 2U" as the song that tied with the most votes. Epic vocal delivery by Sinead O'Connor.

Big congrats to BleuPanda for the superb presentation. I had fun looking through the result of the poll.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Thanks BleuPanda. Great to see a top 1000 like this. It must have been a lot of work, so thanks again.

I expected Strange Fruit & Wuthering Heights to be the top 2, I'm always wrong so no surprise it wasn't so.
Red Ant
Are You Experienced?

Post by Red Ant »

prosecutorgodot wrote: <snip>

I can't see too much similarity myself, but its always interesting to look at the polls of others who seem to have similar musical tastes - I will often sample tracks listed by Bruno, Dexter or Henry that I haven't heard before, as they seem to have similar tastes to me.

That's one of the attractions of a poll like this (thanks to BleuPanda for all the hard work). There are quite a few songs in the top 100 I've never heard before, and will be giving them a listen, and others I'd forgotten about, or that need another listen, that I might have included in my list.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks BleuPanda!! You really are an amazing poll host!

What a journey this has been! A stunning contribution to the forum and to everyone’s musical minds. Probably my favorite poll ever, and as Honorio said, there’s probably nothing like it (a top 1000 list of songs by women!) anywhere else.

:D
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Great list indeed. Will try to listen to it all.

Just one thing that crosses my mind: I always viewed Be My Baby as first and foremost a Phil Spector song. It's a bit wry that the first place goes to a song were the main creative brain was a man. Though I would have voted for the song too, so there.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Great job, BleuPanda! Thanks a lot!

Do you have a spreadsheet with the results?
Last edited by Bruno on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Rob wrote:Great list indeed. Will try to listen to it all.

Just one thing that crosses my mind: I always viewed Be My Baby as first and foremost a Phil Spector song. It's a bit wry that the first place goes to a song were the main creative brain was a man. Though I would have voted for the song too, so there.
While this is a good point, if songs that were written and/or produced by men were excluded, wouldn't the majority of the songs on this list be excluded?
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Thanks, BleuPanda! Outstanding, epic presentation, great pacing, excellent choices for song lyrics. I was shocked when you said you were going for a top 1,000, but you sure pulled it off!
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

BleuPanda,

Great presentation as always. Love the build up and anticipation of the roll-out. It always has me on pins and needles!! A lot of great new discoveries for the next presentation.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Thanks a lot for all the time and effort, BP. You won't find a project like this on any other website. I enjoyed working on my list and following the results. Be My Baby was only my #235, but it's not really about the first place. I hope this will inspire people to vote for more women in the general polls.
Father2TheMan
Different Class

Post by Father2TheMan »

I expect to find some new favorite females as I get a chance to sample through the lists. Thanks BleuPanda.
"The laughs come hard in Old Lang Syne....."
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

Thanks for organising this, BluePanda. Many many discoveries in the songs list. And a whole lot of excellent songs which were simply forgotten to include. Makes one realize that we listen to too few songs composed and/or performed by women.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Jackson wrote:
Rob wrote:Great list indeed. Will try to listen to it all.

While this is a good point, if songs that were written and/or produced by men were excluded, wouldn't the majority of the songs on this list be excluded?
Of course. I don't want to write this one off. I just find it slightly ironic that this game is won by a song where the lead creative force is clearly a man.

I don't want to be negative, because I enjoy this list a lot and do regret somewhat that I didn't contribute.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Full top 1000 plus the file:
1. The Ronettes - Be My Baby (1963)
2. Aretha Franklin - Respect (1967)
3. Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights (1978)
4. Sinéad O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U (1990)
5. ABBA - Dancing Queen (1976)
6. M.I.A. - Paper Planes (2007)
7. Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit (1939)
8. Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God) (1985)
9. Blondie - Heart of Glass (1978)
10. Lana Del Rey - Video Games (2011)
11. Dusty Springfield - Son Of A Preacher Man (1968)
12. Nina Simone - Sinnerman (1965)
13. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car (1988)
14. Adele - Rolling in the Deep (2010)
15. Grimes - Oblivion (2012)
16. Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) (1983)
17. Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy (1991)
18. Martha and the Vandellas - Dancing in the Street (1964)
19. Madonna - Like A Prayer (1989)
20. Portishead - Glory Box (1994)
21. The Knife - Heartbeats (2002)
22. Björk - Bachelorette (1997)
23. Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out of My Head (2001)
24. Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit (1967)
25. Amy Winehouse - Back To Black (2006)
26. Patti Smith - Gloria (1975)
27. Amy Winehouse - Rehab (2006)
28. Dionne Warwick - Walk on By (1964)
29. Portishead - Sour Times (1994)
30. Dolly Parton - Jolene (1973)
31. Donna Summer - I Feel Love (1977)
32. Carole King - It's Too Late (1971)
33. The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go (1964)
34. Massive Attack - Teardrop (1998)
35. Aretha Franklin - I Say a Little Prayer (1968)
36. Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want to Have Fun (1983)
37. Etta James - At Last (1960)
38. PJ Harvey - Down by the Water (1995)
39. Portishead - The Rip (2008)
40. Britney Spears - Toxic (2003)
41. Nina Simone - Feeling Good (1965)
42. Patsy Cline - Crazy (1961)
43. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps (2003)
44. Patti Smith - Because The Night (1978)
45. Janelle Monáe - Cold War (2010)
46. The Supremes - You Can't Hurry Love (1966)
47. The Breeders - Cannonball (1993)
48. Portishead - Roads (1994)
49. Édith Piaf - Non, je ne regrette rien (1960)
50. Björk - Hyper-Ballad (1995)
51. Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time (1983)
52. Aretha Franklin - Think (1968)
53. Janis Joplin - Me and Bobby McGee (1971)
54. Björk - Joga (1997)
55. Mazzy Star - Fade into You (1993)
56. Judy Garland - Over the Rainbow (1939)
57. Grimes - REALiTi (2015)
58. Blondie - Call Me (1980)
59. Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z - Crazy in Love (2003)
60. Jefferson Airplane - Somebody To Love (1967)
61. Édith Piaf - La vie en rose (1945)
62. Deee-Lite - Groove Is in the Heart (1990)
63. Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive (1978)
64. Kate Bush - Hounds of Love (1985)
65. Janelle Monáe - Tightrope (2010)
66. Madonna - Into The Groove (1985)
67. Bonnie Raitt - I Can't Make You Love Me (1991)
68. The Velvet Underground and Nico - All Tomorrow's Parties (1966)
69. Laurie Anderson - O Superman (1981)
70. Hercules and Love Affair - Blind (2008)
71. Janis Joplin - Piece Of My Heart (1968)
72. Missy Elliott - Get Ur Freak On (2001)
73. The Shirelles - Will You Love Me Tomorrow (1960)
74. Aretha Franklin - Chain Of Fools (1967)
75. The Pretenders - Brass In Pocket (1979)
76. The Cranberries - Zombie (1994)
77. Portishead - Machine Gun (2008)
78. The Sugarcubes - Birthday (1987)
79. Robyn - Dancing On My Own (2010)
80. Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know (1995)
81. Joanna Newsom - Emily (2006)
82. Aretha Franklin - (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman (1967)
83. Suzanne Vega - Luka (1987)
84. Julee Cruise - Falling (1989)
85. Lorde - Royals (2013)
86. The Mamas and The Papas - California Dreamin' (1965)
87. Ike and Tina Turner - River Deep - Mountain High (1966)
88. TLC - Waterfalls (1994)
89. Nancy Sinatra - These Boots Are Made For Walkin' (1965)
90. The Supremes - You Keep Me Hangin' On (1966)
91. Annie - Heartbeat (2004)
92. Joni Mitchell - River (1971)
93. Madonna - Borderline (1983)
94. Fleetwood Mac - Landslide (1975)
95. Björk - Human Behaviour (1993)
96. Fiona Apple - Criminal (1996)
97. Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton - Hound Dog (1953)
98. Grimes - Flesh Without Blood (2015)
99. Björk - Pagan Poetry (2001)
100. Joni Mitchell - Big Yellow Taxi (1970)
101. Björk - Venus As a Boy (1993)
102. Courtney Barnett - Pedestrian at Best (2015)
103. Lorde - Green Light (2017)
104. Blondie - Atomic (1979)
105. Santigold - L.E.S. Artistes (2008)
106. Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon (Will You Ever Win) (1975)
107. Arcade Fire - Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) (2010)
108. Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now (plus re-recorded) (1969)
109. Nina Simone - My Baby Just Cares for Me (1958)
110. Madonna - Ray of Light (1998)
111. The Knife - Silent Shout (2006)
112. First Aid Kit - Emmylou (2012)
113. Bat for Lashes - Daniel (2009)
114. Carly Simon - You're So Vain (1972)
115. Madonna - Like a Virgin (1984)
116. Adele - Someone Like You (2011)
117. Gladys Knight and The Pips - Midnight Train to Georgia (1973)
118. The Sundays - Here's Where the Story Ends (1990)
119. Everything but the Girl - Missing (Todd Terry Remix) (1995)
120. Fleetwood Mac - Dreams (1977)
121. Pixies - Gigantic (1988)
122. The Supremes - Baby Love (1964)
123. Althea And Donna - Uptown Top Ranking (1977)
124. Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You) (1967)
125. Stan Getz and João Gilberto feat. Astrud Gilberto - The Girl From Ipanema (1964)
126. Chic - Good Times (1979)
127. Madonna - Vogue (1990)
128. Cesária Évora - Sodade (1992)
129. FKA Twigs - Two Weeks (2014)
130. Courtney Barnett - Avant Gardener (2013)
131. Sia - Chandelier (2014)
132. Chic - Le Freak (1978)
133. Björk - Army of Me (1995)
134. Kate Bush - Cloudbusting (1985)
135. Rihanna feat. Jay-Z - Umbrella (2007)
136. The Knife - Pass This On (2003)
137. Lauryn Hill - Doo Wop (That Thing) (1998)
138. Norah Jones - Don't Know Why (2002)
139. The Crystals - Then He Kissed Me (1963)
140. Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You (1992)
141. Björk - Isobel (1995)
142. Sade - Smooth Operator (1984)
143. Santigold - Disparate Youth (2012)
144. Arcade Fire - In the Backseat (2004)
145. Julie London - Cry Me a River (1955)
146. Carole King - I Feel The Earth Move (1971)
147. Antony and the Johnsons - Hope There's Someone (2005)
148. Tori Amos - Silent All These Years (1991)
149. ABBA - Waterloo (1974)
150. Amerie - 1 Thing (2005)
151. Tori Amos - Cornflake Girl (1994)
152. Julia Holter - Feel You (2015)
153. Beach House - Myth (2012)
154. Disclosure feat. AlunaGeorge - White Noise (2013)
155. Tina Turner - What's Love Got To Do With It (1984)
156. Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly With His Song (1973)
157. Peggy Lee - Fever (1958)
158. The Bangles - Walk Like an Egyptian (1986)
159. Natalie Imbruglia - Torn (1997)
160. St. Vincent - Los Ageless (2017)
161. Carly Rae Jepsen - Run Away with Me (2015)
162. Joan Jett and The Blackhearts - I Love Rock and Roll (1981)
163. Robyn feat. Kleerup - With Every Heartbeat (2007)
164. Patti Smith - Birdland (1975)
165. Patsy Cline - I Fall to Pieces (1961)
166. Carole King - You've Got A Friend (1971)
167. Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) (1987)
168. Kirsty MacColl - A New England (1984)
169. X-Ray Spex - Oh Bondage Up Yours! (1977)
170. Björk - All Is Full of Love (1997)
171. Tori Amos - Winter (1992)
172. The Pipettes - Pull Shapes (2006)
173. Dirty Projectors - Stillness is the Move (2009)
174. Heart - Crazy On You (1975)
175. The Supremes - Stop! In The Name Of Love (1965)
176. Liz Phair - Fuck and Run (1993)
177. The Staple Singers - I'll Take You There (1972)
178. Grimes - Genesis (2012)
179. Erykah Badu - On & On (1996)
180. Linda Ronstadt - You're No Good (1974)
181. Art Ensemble of Chicago - Theme De Yoyo (1970)
182. Joni Mitchell - A Case of You (1971)
183. Björk - It's Oh So Quiet (1995)
184. Madonna - Live To Tell (1986)
185. Labelle - Lady Marmalade (1974)
186. Lykke Li - I Follow Rivers (plus The Magician Remix) (2011)
187. Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way (1976)
188. Anohni - Drone Bomb Me (2016)
189. Lily Allen - The Fear (2008)
190. Grimes - Kill V. Maim (2015)
191. The Sundays - Can't Be Sure (1989)
192. Björk - Hunter (1997)
193. Katrina and The Waves - Walking on Sunshine (1983)
194. Nina Simone - Wild is the Wind (1966)
195. The Crystals - Da Doo Ron Ron (When He Walked Me Home) (1963)
196. Björk - Big Time Sensuality (1993)
197. Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares - Pritouritze Planinata (1975)
198. St. Vincent - Digital Witness (2014)
199. PJ Harvey - The Words That Maketh Murder (2011)
200. k.d. lang - Constant Craving (1992)
201. Ann Peebles - I Can't Stand the Rain (1973)
202. The Go-Go's - Our Lips Are Sealed (1981)
203. M.I.A. - Galang (2004)
204. Elastica - Connection (1994)
205. Mary Wells - My Guy (1964)
206. Gossip - Standing In The Way Of Control (2006)
207. Kacey Musgraves - Follow Your Arrow (2013)
208. Madonna - Material Girl (1984)
209. The Cardigans - Lovefool (1996)
210. Eurythmics - Here Comes the Rain Again (1983)
211. Duffy - Mercy (2008)
212. T.A.T.U. - All the Things She Said (2002)
213. ABBA - The Winner Takes It All (1980)
214. St. Vincent - Prince Johnny (2014)
215. Stevie Nicks - Edge Of Seventeen (1981)
216. Blondie - Rapture (1980)
217. Solange - Cranes in the Sky (2016)
218. Fever Ray - Keep the Streets Empty for Me (2009)
219. Lady Gaga - Bad Romance (2009)
220. Les Rita Mitsouko - Marcia baila (1984)
221. Minnie Riperton - Les Fleurs (1970)
222. Donna Summer - Hot Stuff (1979)
223. Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billie Joe (1967)
224. Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin - Je t' aime mon non plus (1969)
225. Shiina Ringo - Sōretsu (Funeral Procession) (2003)
226. Sinéad O'Connor - Troy (1987)
227. Heart - Alone (1987)
228. This Mortal Coil - Song to the Siren (1983)
229. Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse Of The Heart (1983)
230. Miriam Makeba - Pata Pata (1967)
231. Heart - These Dreams (1985)
232. Azealia Banks - 212 (2011)
233. Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time (1998)
234. Estelle feat. Kanye West - American Boy (2008)
235. ABBA - S.O.S. (1975)
236. Massive Attack - Protection (1994)
237. Violeta Parra - Gracias a la vida (1967)
238. Alicia Keys - If I Ain't Got You (2003)
239. Rokia Traoré - Dounia (2008)
240. Martha and The Muffins - Echo Beach (1980)
241. Judee Sill - The Kiss (1973)
242. Jeanette - Porque Te Vas (1974)
243. Joni Mitchell - Help Me (1974)
244. Freda Payne - Band of Gold (1970)
245. Françoise Hardy - Tous les garçons et les filles (1962)
246. Fleetwood Mac - The Chain (1977)
247. Aaliyah - Try Again (2000)
248. Sharon Van Etten - Your Love Is Killing Me (2014)
249. Billie Holiday - God Bless the Child (1941)
250. Jay-Z ft. Alicia Keys - Empire State of Mind (2009)
251. Mitski - Your Best American Girl (2016)
252. Dinosaur - Kiss Me Again (1978)
253. Serge Gainsbourg and Brigitte Bardot - Bonnie And Clyde (1968)
254. Blonde Redhead - 23 (2007)
255. Nena - 99 Luftballons (1983)
256. Spice Girls - Wannabe (1996)
257. Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone (2004)
258. Carole King - So Far Away (1971)
259. Anaïs Mitchell feat. Greg Brown - Why We Build The Wall (2010)
260. Bat for Lashes - Laura (2012)
261. Sonic Youth - Kool Thing (1990)
262. Jamie xx feat. Romy - Loud Places (2015)
263. Yazoo - Only You (1982)
264. Beyoncé - Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It) (2008)
265. The Pogues feat. Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale of New York (1987)
266. Christina Aguilera - Beautiful (2002)
267. Duffy - Warwick Avenue (2008)
268. Cyndi Lauper - True Colors (1986)
269. Whitney Houston - Greatest Love of All (1985)
270. The Carpenters - (They Long to Be) Close to You (1970)
271. Tori Amos - Crucify (1992)
272. The Human League - Don't You Want Me (1981)
273. Beyoncé - Formation (2016)
274. The Velvet Underground and Nico - Femme Fatale (1966)
275. Florence + The Machine - Dog Days Are Over (2008)
276. Camera Obscura - Lloyd, I'm Ready to Be Heartbroken (2006)
277. Jessie Ware - Wildest Moments (2012)
278. PJ Harvey - Rid of Me (1993)
279. CHVRCHES - Leave a Trace (2015)
280. The Go-Go's - We Got the Beat (1980)
281. Robyn - Be Mine (2005)
282. Fever Ray - If I Had a Heart (2008)
283. Martha and the Vandellas - Heat Wave (1963)
284. Blondie - One Way Or Another (1978)
285. The Shangri-Las - Past, Present and Future (1966)
286. Chavela Vargas - La llorona (1961)
287. Joanna Newsom - Peach, Plum, Pear (2004)
288. Madonna - Lucky Star (1983)
289. Lana Del Rey - West Coast (2014)
290. Missy Elliott - Work It (2002)
291. Ofra Haza - Im Nin'alu (1984)
292. Olivia Newton-John - Hopelessly Devoted To You (1978)
293. Enya - Orinoco Flow (Sail Away) (1988)
294. ABBA - Take a Chance on Me (1977)
295. Madonna - Holiday (1983)
296. Sleater-Kinney - Jumpers (2005)
297. Kate Tempest - Tunnel Vision (2016)
298. The Chordettes - Mr. Sandman (1954)
299. The Slits - Typical Girls (1979)
300. Aimee Mann - Save Me (1999)
301. Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) (1963)
302. Lesley Gore - You Don't Own Me (1963)
303. Petula Clark - Downtown (1964)
304. Alicia Keys - Fallin' (2001)
305. Feist - 1234 (2007)
306. Lal Waterson and Oliver Knight - Flight of the Pelican (1996)
307. No Doubt - Don't Speak (1995)
308. Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe (2011)
309. Janet Jackson - That's The Way Love Goes (1993)
310. Kristin Hersh - Your Ghost (1994)
311. CSS - Let's Make Love and Listen to Death from Above (2005)
312. The Crystals - He's a Rebel (1962)
313. Little Eva - The Loco-Motion (1962)
314. Sonny and Cher - I Got You Babe (1965)
315. Roberta Flack - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (1969)
316. Blondie - Hanging On The Telephone (1978)
317. Gang Gang Dance - House Jam (2008)
318. Marianne Faithfull - Broken English (1979)
319. Adele - Hello (2015)
320. Tammy Wynette - Stand by Your Man (1968)
321. Pink Floyd feat. Clare Torry - The Great Gig In The Sky (1973)
322. Le Tigre - Deceptacon (1999)
323. Ann Peebles - I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down (1973)
324. Lotte Lenya - Die Moritat von Mackie Messer (1928)
325. Bananarama - Cruel Summer (1983)
326. Linda Ronstadt - When Will I Be Loved (1974)
327. The B-52's - Rock Lobster (1978)
328. Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) (1966)
329. Tom Tom Club - Genius of Love (1981)
330. Shocking Blue - Venus (1969)
331. Björk - Unravel (1997)
332. Martha and the Vandellas - Nowhere to Run (1965)
333. PJ Harvey - C'mon Billy (1995)
334. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Zero (2009)
335. Madonna - Frozen (1998)
336. Kate Nash - Foundations (2007)
337. The xx - Crystalised (2009)
338. Joni Mitchell - The Circle Game (1970)
339. The Pretenders - Back on the Chain Gang (1982)
340. Richard and Linda Thompson - I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight (1974)
341. Goran Bregović - Ederlezi (1989)
342. Sade - No Ordinary Love (1992)
343. ABBA - Knowing Me, Knowing You (1976)
344. Air - All I Need (1998)
345. Dusty Springfield - I Only Want to Be with You (1963)
346. CHVRCHES - The Mother We Share (2012)
347. Mariah Carey - We Belong Together (2005)
348. Lydia Mendoza - Mal hombre (1934)
349. PJ Harvey - The Glorious Land (2011)
350. Candi Staton - Young Hearts Run Free (1976)
351. Ellie Goulding - Lights (2010)
352. Sarah Vaughan - Lullaby of Birdland (1955)
353. The Tammys - Egyptian Shumba (1963)
354. St. Vincent - New York (2017)
355. Fever Ray - When I Grow Up (2009)
356. Fugees - Ready Or Not (1996)
357. Lady Gaga - Poker Face (2008)
358. Grimes - California (2015)
359. Stevie Nicks - Stand Back (1983)
361. Aretha Franklin - Do Right Woman, Do Right Man (1967)
362. Hole - Doll Parts (1994)
363. Salt-N-Pepa - Push It (1987)
364. Madonna - Hung Up (2005)
365. Minnie Riperton - Lovin' You (1974)
366. Lily Allen - Smile (2006)
367. Fugees - Killing Me Softly (1996)
368. Cat Power - The Greatest (2006)
369. Paramore - Still Into You (2013)
370. Stereolab - French Disko (1993)
371. Arcade Fire - Haiti (2004)
372. Pat Benatar - Love Is a Battlefield (1983)
373. The Shangri-Las - Remember (Walkin' in the Sand) (1964)
374. Massive Attack - Safe From Harm (1991)
375. Joanna Newsom - Good Intentions Paving Co. (2010)
376. Joanna Newsom - Sawdust and Diamonds (2006)
377. Édith Piaf - L'Accordéoniste (1940)
378. Sheryl Crow - All I Wanna Do (1993)
379. Edie Brickell and New Bohemians - What I Am (1988)
380. Adele - Set Fire To The Rain (2011)
381. Sarah McLachlan - Possession (1993)
382. Sleater-Kinney - Get Up (1999)
383. Cesaria Evora - Petit Pays (1995)
384. Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda (1971)
385. Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation (1989)
386. The Knife - We Share Our Mother's Health (2006)
387. Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good (2006)
388. Nico - These Days (1967)
389. Destiny's Child - Say My Name (1999)
390. Macy Gray - I Try (1999)
391. Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood - Some Velvet Morning (1967)
392. Heart - Never (1985)
393. Bessie Smith - Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out (1929)
394. CHVRCHES - Recover (2013)
395. Joni Mitchell - All I Want (1971)
396. Fever Ray - I'm Not Done (2009)
397. Lady Gaga - The Edge Of Glory (2011)
398. Garbage - Stupid Girl (1995)
399. Sister Sledge - We Are Family (1979)
400. Sixpence None the Richer - Kiss Me (1997)
401. Lauryn Hill - Ex-Factor (1998)
402. Beyoncé feat. Kendrick Lamar - Freedom (2016)
403. Mary Hopkin - Those Were the Days (1968)
404. Robyn - Indestructible (2010)
405. Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball (2013)
406. The Andrews Sisters - Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy (1941)
407. Whitney Houston - I Have Nothing (1992)
408. The Primitives - Crash (1988)
409. PJ Harvey - Sheela-Na-Gig (1992)
410. The Chiffons - One Fine Day (1963)
411. ABBA - Eagle (1977)
412. Dinah Washington - Mad About the Boy (1952)
413. Seinabo Sey - Hard Time (2015)
414. Patti Smith - Free Money (1975)
415. Garbage - Only Happy When It Rains (1995)
416. Patti Smith - Land (1975)
417. Dido - White Flag (2003)
418. Bat for Lashes - Glass (2009)
419. Holly Herndon - Chorus (2014)
420. Ketty Lester - Love Letters (1962)
421. Diana Ross - I'm Coming Out (1980)
422. Nelly Furtado - Say It Right (2006)
423. The Marvelettes - Please Mr. Postman (1961)
424. The Mamas and The Papas - Dream A Little Dream Of Me (1968)
425. Kate Bush - Sat in Your Lap (1982)
426. Billie Holiday - Man I Love (1940)
427. Yazoo - Don't Go (1982)
428. Nicolette Larson - Lotta Love (1978)
429. Sade - By Your Side (2000)
430. Joni Mitchell - California (1971)
431. Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell - Ain't No Mountain High Enough (1967)
432. Kate Bush - Suspended In Gaffa (1982)
433. Dolly Parton - I Will Always Love You (1974)
434. Moloko - Sing It Back (and Boris Musical Mix) (1998)
435. Bikini Kill - Rebel Girl (1993)
436. The Shangri-Las - Leader Of The Pack (1964)
437. Sia - Cheap Thrills (2015)
438. Eve feat. Gwen Stefani - Let Me Blow Ya Mind (2001)
439. Madonna - Express Yourself (1989)
440. Tracy Chapman - Baby Can I Hold You (1988)
441. The Ronettes - Sleigh Ride (1963)
442. Buffy Sainte-Marie - The Universal Soldier (1964)
443. Sky Ferreira - I Blame Myself (2013)
444. Cocteau Twins - Ivo (1984)
445. Youssou N'Dour and Neneh Cherry - 7 Seconds (1994)
446. Elis Regina and Antonio Carlos Jobim - Aguas de marco (1974)
447. Beyoncé - Daddy Lessons (2016)
448. Sheryl Crow - If It Makes You Happy (1996)
449. Yma Sumac - Xtabay (Lure of The Unknown Love) (1950)
450. Aretha Franklin - Since You've Been Gone (1968)
451. Laura Veirs - July Flame (2010)
452. Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere (1987)
453. Fairport Convention - Who Knows Where the Time Goes (1969)
454. Laura Branigan - Self Control (1984)
455. Ike and Tina Turner - Proud Mary (1970)
456. Barbara - Nantes (1964)
457. Ike and Tina Turner - Nutbush City Limits (1973)
458. Stereolab - Cybele's Reverie (1996)
459. Céline Dion - My Heart Will Go On (1997)
460. Julia Holter - Sea Calls Me Home (2015)
461. Kate Bush - The Man with the Child in His Eyes (1978)
462. Joni Mitchell - Coyote (1976)
463. Trisha Yearwood - Walkaway Joe (1992)
464. Sia - Breathe Me (2004)
465. Taylor Swift - Shake It Off (2014)
466. PJ Harvey - Dress (1991)
467. Dionne Warwick - Anyone Who Had a Heart (1963)
468. M.I.A. - Bad Girls (2012)
469. The B-52's - Love Shack (1989)
470. PJ Harvey - All and Everyone (2011)
471. Gorillaz - DARE (2005)
472. Evanescence - Bring Me to Life (2003)
473. Alanis Morissette - Ironic (1995)
474. Bessie Smith - Saint Louis Blues (1925)
475. Aretha Franklin - One Step Ahead (1967)
476. 4 Non Blondes - What's Up (1992)
477. Beyonce - Countdown (2011)
478. Dixie Chicks - Not Ready to Make Nice (2006)
479. Henry Mancini feat. Audrey Hepburn - Moon River (1961)
480. The xx - Night Time (2009)
481. La Roux - Bulletproof (2009)
482. Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes (1981)
483. Édith Piaf - La foule (1958)
484. Joni Mitchell - Free Man In Paris (1974)
485. Roxette - It Must Have Been Love (1990)
486. Cat Power - Cross Bones Style (1998)
487. Neneh Cherry - Buffalo Stance (1988)
488. Fleetwood Mac - Say You Love Me (1975)
489. Beach House - Zebra (2010)
490. Heart - Barracuda (1977)
491. Daughter - Doing The Right Thing (2016)
492. Gwen Stefani - Cool (2004)
493. Laura Nyro - Stoned Soul Picnic (1968)
494. Mahalia Jackson - Move On Up a Little Higher (1947)
495. Björk feat. Thom Yorke - I've Seen It All (2000)
496. Yaeji - Raingurl (2017)
497. Shirley and Lee - Let The Good Times Roll (1956)
498. Christina Aguilera - Genie in a Bottle (1999)
499. ABBA - Mamma Mia (1975)
500. Beyonce - All Night (2016)
501. The Cranberries - Linger (1993)
502. Nina Simone - Four Women (1966)
503. Wendy Rene - After Laughter (Comes Tears) (1964)
504. Aldous Harding - Elation (2017)
505. Kate Bush - This Woman's Work (1988)
506. LaVern Baker - Jim Dandy (1956)
507. ABBA - Fernando (1976)
508. Goldfrapp - Ooh La La (2005)
509. The xx - Angels (2012)
510. Fleetwood Mac - Gypsy (1982)
511. Kate Bush - And Dream of Sheep (1985)
512. Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch (2005)
513. The B-52's - Private Idaho (1980)
514. Hole - Celebrity Skin (1998)
515. TLC - Creep (1994)
516. Rihanna - Russian Roulette (2009)
517. Janis Joplin - Ball and Chain (plus Live at Monterey Pop) (1968)
518. Portishead - Mysterons (1994)
519. Lipps, Inc. - Funkytown (1979)
520. Sly and the Family Stone - Runnin' Away (1971)
521. Chic - I Want Your Love (1978)
522. Technotronic - Pump Up The Jam (1989)
523. Sister Sledge - Lost in Music (1979)
524. The Ronettes - Walking in the Rain (1964)
525. Alanis Morissette - Head Over Feet (1995)
526. Stereolab - Metronomic Underground (1996)
527. Julia Holter - Maxim's II (2013)
528. Clean Bandit feat. Jess Glynne - Rather Be (2014)
529. Katy Perry - Teenage Dream (2010)
530. Patsy Cline - Walkin' After Midnight (1957)
531. Yvonne Elliman - I Don't Know How to Love Him (1970)
532. Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes - Paix (1972)
533. Sinéad O'Connor - Mandinka (1987)
534. Nina Simone - Lilac Wine (1966)
535. Low - Especially Me (2011)
536. Oleta Adams - Get Here (1990)
537. Carly Simon - That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be (1971)
538. Au Revoir Simone - Stay Golden (2005)
539. Portishead - Cowboys (1997)
540. Sleater-Kinney - Entertain (2005)
541. Fairport Convention - Matty Groves (1969)
542. Captain and Tennille - Love Will Keep Us Together (1975)
543. Tracey Ullman - They Don't Know (1983)
544. The Pretenders - Hymn To Her (1986)
545. Evanescence - My Immortal (2003)
546. Janis Ian - At Seventeen (1975)
547. Millie Jackson - If Loving You is Wrong (I Don't Wanna Be Right) (1974)
548. Charli XCX - SuperLove (2016)
549. Barbra Streisand - The Way We Were (1973)
550. Yvonne Elliman - If I Can't Have You (1978)
551. Mahalia Jackson - In the Upper Room (1957)
552. Soul II Soul - Back to Life (1989)
553. Suzanne Vega - Blood Makes Noise (1992)
554. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads Will Roll (plus A-Trak Remix) (2009)
555. Madredeus - O pastor (1990)
556. Haim - Falling (2013)
557. St. Vincent - Cruel (2011)
558. Natalia Lafourcade - Hasta la raíz (2015)
559. Moloko - The Time Is Now (2000)
560. The Go! Team - Ladyflash (2004)
561. Regina Spektor - Fidelity (2006)
562. Alessia Cara - Here (2015)
563. Carole King - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow? (1971)
564. All Saints - Pure Shores (2000)
565. Laura Pausini - La Solitudine (1993)
566. Cristina Branco - Ai Vida (1998)
567. Linda Lyndell - What A Man (1968)
568. Celia Cruz - Quimbara (1974)
569. Mariah Carey - Hero (1993)
570. Pat Benatar - Hit Me With Your Best Shot (1980)
571. The Emotions - Best of My Love (1977)
572. Fontella Bass - Rescue Me (1965)
573. Regina Spektor - Us (2004)
574. Billie Holiday - Gloomy Sunday (1941)
575. Ella Fitzgerald - Ev'rytime We Say Goodbye (1956)
576. Robyn and Röyksopp - Do It Again (2014)
577. Tracy Chapman - Talkin' Bout a Revolution (1988)
578. Gal Costa - Baby (1968)
579. Saint Etienne - Only Love Can Break Your Heart (1990)
580. Antony and the Johnsons - Fistful of Love (2004)
581. Tune-Yards - Bizness (2011)
582. The Seatbelts - Tank! (1998)
583. Jackie DeShannon - What the World Needs Now is Love (1965)
584. Cowboy Junkies - Sweet Jane (1988)
585. Carole King - Beautiful (1971)
586. The Carpenters - Superstar (1971)
587. EMA - The Grey Ship (2011)
588. Saint Etienne - Avenue (1992)
589. Vashti Bunyan - Diamond Day (1970)
590. Madonna - Papa Don't Preach (1986)
591. Mercedes Sosa - Alfonsina y el mar  (1969)
592. The Knife - Full of Fire (2013)
593. Emmylou Harris - Boulder To Birmingham (1975)
594. Solange - Losing You (2012)
595. Ruth Brown - (Mama) He Treats Your Daughter Mean (1953)
596. The Cranberries - Dreams (1992)
597. Sleater-Kinney - Sympathy (2002)
598. Divinyls - I Touch Myself (1990)
599. Kelis - Caught Out There (1999)
600. Ondatrópica - Tiene sabor, tiene sazon (2012)
601. Young Marble Giants - Credit in the Straight World (1980)
602. Chabuca Granda - La flor de la canela (1950)
603. En Vogue - My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It) (1992)
604. Donna Summer - Love to Love You Baby (1975)
605. Sleigh Bells - Rill Rill (2010)
606. Spice Girls - Say You'll Be There (1996)
607. Fiona Apple - Sleep to Dream (1996)
608. Stevie Nicks and Don Henley - Leather and Lace (1981)
609. Blonde Redhead - Elephant Woman (2004)
610. Erykah Badu - Appletree (1997)
611. Beyoncé - Best Thing I Never Had (2011)
612. ABBA - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)  (1979)
613. Grace Jones - I've Seen That Face Before (Libertango) (1981)
614. Skeeter Davis - The End Of The World (1962)
615. Natalia Lafourcade and Kevin Johansen - La fugitiva (2012)
616. Adele - Make You Feel My Love (2008)
617. The Supremes - My World Is Empty Without You (1965)
618. Stereolab - Jenny Ondioline (1993)
619. Haim - The Wire (2013)
620. Tricky - Ponderosa (1994)
621. The Knife - Neverland (2006)
622. Janis Joplin - Move Over (1971)
623. Peggy Lee - Is That All There Is? (1969)
624. Dusty Springfield - You Don't Have to Say You Love Me (1966)
625. Amy Macdonald - Don't Tell Me That It's Over (2010)
626. Blondie - The Tide Is High (1980)
627. Celia Cruz - Burundanga (1953)
628. The Mamas and The Papas - Monday, Monday (1966)
629. Sonic Youth - Tunic (Song for Karen) (1990)
630. The Rotary Connection - I Am the Black Gold of the Sun (1971)
631. Adele - Rumour Has It (2011)
632. Gladys Knight and the Pips - I Heard It Through The Grapevine (1967)
633. The Velvet Underground and Nico - I'll Be Your Mirror (1967)
634. Kesha - Praying (2017)
635. Broadcast and The Focus Group - The Be Colony (2009)
636. The Supremes - Come See About Me (1964)
637. Paramore - The Only Exception (2009)
638. The Knife - The Captain (2006)
639. Suzanne Vega - Marlene On The Wall (1985)
640. KT Tunstall - Black Horse and the Cherry Tree (2004)
641. Taylor Swift - Blank Space (2014)
642. Kate Bush - The Big Sky (1985)
643. Rihanna with Kanye West and Paul McCartney - FourFiveSeconds (2015)
644. Robyn and Röyksopp - Monument (2014)
645. Dubstar - Stars (1995)
646. Stereolab - The Noise of Carpet (1996)
647. Lana Del Rey - Shades of Cool (2014)
648. Nina Simone - He Needs Me (1958)
649. Courtney Barnett - Three Packs A Day (2016)
650. Billie Holiday - I’m a Fool to Want You (1958)
651. Iris DeMent - Let the Mystery Be (1992)
652. Suzanne Vega - In Liverpool (1992)
653. Marianne Faithfull - The Ballad Of Lucy Jordan (1979)
654. Tammi Terrell - All I Do Is Think About You (1966)
655. Fleetwood Mac - Songbird (1977)
656. Mercedes Sosa - Todo cambia (1989)
657. Alannah Myles - Black Velvet (1989)
658. My Bloody Valentine - Soon (1990)
659. The Chiffons - He's So Fine (1963)
660. Icona Pop feat. Charli XCX - I Love It (2012)
661. Geeshie Wiley - Last Kind Words Blues (1930)
662. Mariah Carey - All I Want for Christmas is You (1994)
663. ABBA - Super Trouper (1980)
664. Madonna - This Used to Be My Playground (1992)
665. Janelle Monae - Come Alive (The War of the Roses) (2010)
666. FKA twigs - In Time (2015)
667. Crystal Castles - Alice Practice (2006)
668. Patti Smith - Piss Factory (1974)
669. Donna Summer - Bad Girls (1979)
670. Cat Power - He War (2003)
672. Feist - My Moon My Man (2007)
671. The Knife - Forest Families (2006)
673. The Supremes - Reflections (1967)
674. Mariah Carey - Vision of Love (1990)
675. Dengue Fever - Genjer Genjer (2009)
676. Röyksopp feat. Karin Dreijer - What Else Is There? (2005)
677. Odetta - Gallows Pole (1957)
678. Shakespear's Sister - Stay (1992)
679. Marina and The Diamonds - Primadonna (2012)
680. The Flirtations - Nothing But a Heartache (1968)
681. Portishead - It's A Fire (1994)
682. Alabama Shakes - Hold On (2011)
683. Susanne Sundfør - Undercover (2017)
684. Rita Lee - Ovalha Negra (1991)
685. The Pretenders - Show Me (1983)
686. Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine (2005)
687. Sharon Van Etten - Serpents (2011)
688. The Pretenders - 2000 Miles (1983)
689. Moloko - Pure Pleasure Seeker (2000)
690. Kate Bush - Babooshka (1980)
691. Portishead - All Mine (1997)
692. Robyn - Call Your Girlfriend (2010)
693. Asha Bhosle - Dum Maro Dum (1971)
694. The Bangles - Manic Monday (1986)
695. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Spellbound (1981)
696. Cocteau Twins - Lorelei (1984)
697. Sarah Vaughan - Broken Hearted Melody (1958)
698. Dusty Springfield - The Windmills of Your Mind (1969)
699. Lana Del Rey - Born To Die (2012)
700. Anita Baker - Sweet Love (1986)
701. Alpha - Somewhere Not Here (1979)
702. Sonique - It Feels So Good (2000)
703. Florence + The Machine - Shake It Out (2011)
704. The Pipettes - We Are the Pipettes (2006)
705. Shania Twain - You're Still the One (1997)
706. Toni Braxton - Un-Break My Heart (1996)
707. Linda Ronstadt - It's So Easy (1977)
708. Rilo Kiley - Portions for Foxes (2004)
709. Jenny Wilson - Let My Shoes Lead Me Forward (2005)
710. Heart - Magic Man (1975)
711. Carla Morrison - Un beso (2015)
712. Dionne Warwick - Heartbreaker (1982)
713. Benjamin Biolay feat. Jeanne Cherhal - Brandt Rhapsodie (2009)
714. Beyonce - Irreplaceable (2006)
715. Susanne Sundfør - Kamikaze (2015)
716. Broadcast - Ominous Cloud (2003)
717. Joan Armatrading - Love And Affection (1976)
718. Andy Stott - Violence (2014)
719. Rufus feat. Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody (1983)
720. CHVRCHES - Lies (2012)
721. Bonnie Raitt - Something to Talk About (1991)
722. Lady Antebellum - Need You Now (2009)
723. Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Dream a Little Dream Of Me (1950)
724. Beverley Knight - Shoulda Woulda Coulda (2002)
725. Wir Sind Helden - Denkmal (2003)
726. Joanna Newsom - Baby Birch (2010)
727. Edward Maya and Vika Jugulina - Stereo Love (2009)
728. Vanessa Williams - Save The Best For Last (1991)
729. Candi Staton - I'd Rather Be an Old Man's Sweetheart (Than a Young Man's Fool)  (1969)
730. Natalie Cole - This Will Be (1975)
731. Nightwish - Eva (2007)
732. Selena - Como la flor (1992)
733. Rosanne Cash - Seven Year Ache (1981)
734. Janet Jackson - Nasty (1986)
735. Madonna - Oh Father (1989)
736. Patsy Cline - Three Cigarettes In An Ashtray (1957)
737. Madonna - Don't Tell Me (2000)
738. Marlena Shaw - California Soul (1969)
739. Sleigh Bells - Tell 'Em (2010)
740. Yma Sumac - Gopher (Mambo) (1954)
741. Fiona Apple - Hot Knife (2012)
742. Bette Midler - The Rose (1980)
743. Edith Piaf - Milord (1959)
744. Olivia Newton-John - Physical (1981)
745. Diana Ross - Upside Down (1980)
746. First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar (2012)
747. Zaz - Je Veux (2010)
748. Savages - Shut Up (2013)
749. My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow (1991)
750. Berlin - Take My Breath Away (1986)
751. Blondie - Dreaming (1979)
752. Joni Mitchell - Blue (1971)
753. Carly Simon - Legend In Your Own Time (1971)
754. Major Lazer feat. Amber Coffman - Get Free (2012)
755. Angel Olsen - Shut Up Kiss Me (2016)
756. ABBA - Chiquitita (1979)
757. Feist - I Feel It All (2007)
758. Shakira feat. Wyclef Jean - Hips Don't Lie (2006)
759. Shirley and Company - Shame, Shame, Shame (1974)
760. Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles (2001)
761. Nightwish - Nemo (2004)
762. Lil Green - Why Don't You Do Right? (1941)
763. Jenny Lewis - Just One of the Guys (2014)
764. Dua Lipa - New Rules (2017)
765. Joni Mitchell - Court And Spark (1974)
766. Angélique Kidjo - Olofoofo (2002)
767. Lee Ann Womack - I Hope You Dance (2000)
768. The White Stripes - In the Cold Cold Night (2003)
769. Eva Cassidy - Fields Of Gold (1996)
770. Miley Cyrus - Party in the U.S.A. (2009)
771. Moby feat. Mimi Goese - When It's Cold I'd Like to Die (1995)
772. Daughter - Youth (2011)
773. Janelle Monae - Faster (2010)
774. Missy Elliott - The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly) (1997)
775. Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 - Mas que nada  (1966)
776. Betty Davis - If I’m In Luck I Might Get Picked Up (1973)
777. Adele - Don't You Remember (2011)
778. Tove Lo - Habits (Stay High) (2014)
779. The Cardigans - My Favorite Game (1998)
780. Lorde - Ribs (2013)
781. Nina Simone - Mississippi Goddam (1964)
782. Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms (1970)
783. Norah Jones - Come Away With Me (2002)
784. Mitski - Fireworks (2016)
785. First Aid Kit - Stay Gold (2014)
786. Frida Hyvonen - Dirty Dancing (2008)
787. Bessie Smith - Graveyard Dream Blues (1923)
788. Joni Mitchell - Amelia (1976)
789. Kim Wilde - Kids In America (1981)
790. The B-52's - Dance This Mess Around (1979)
791. Joan Baez - We Shall Overcome (1963)
792. Julie Andrews - My Favorite Things (1965)
793. Linda Ronstadt - The Tracks Of My Tears (1975)
794. Joan Baez - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (1971)
795. Patti Smith - Dancing Barefoot (1979)
796. Lucinda Williams - Can't Let Go (1998)
797. Saint Etienne - Like A Motorway (1994)
798. Luscious Jackson - Naked Eye (1996)
799. Sky Ferreira - Everything is Embarrassing (2012)
800. Haim - Don't Save Me (2013)
801. Ibeyi - River (2014)
802. CHVRCHES - We Sink (2013)
803. Mariah Carey - Fantasy (1995)
804. Dionne Warwick - Do You Know the Way to San Jose (1968)
805. M.I.A. - Born Free (2010)
806. PJ Harvey - This Mess We're In (2000)
807. Jessie Ware - Running (2012)
808. Aretha Franklin - Rock Steady (1971)
809. Jean Knight - Mr. Big Stuff (1971)
810. Tina Arena - Chains (1994)
811. CHVRCHES - Gun (2013)
812. Nelly Furtado - Maneater (2006)
813. PJ Harvey - Good Fortune (2000)
814. Shiina Ringo - Shūkyō (Religion) (2003)
815. Joanna Newsom - Cosmia (2006)
816. Björk - Black Lake (2015)
817. Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut to the Feeling (2017)
818. Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - Bad Reputation (1980)
819. Les Rita Mitsouko - C'est comme ca (1986)
820. The Mamas and The Papas - Dedicated To The One I Love (1967)
821. Janelle Monae - Dance Apocalyptic (2013)
822. Sheryl Crow - The First Cut is the Deepest (2005)
823. Gloria Estefan - Can't Stay Away from You (1987)
824. Sleater-Kinney - One Beat (2002)
825. Les Paul and Mary Ford - How High the Moon (1951)
826. Lisa Loeb and Nine Stories - Stay (I Missed You) (1994)
827. Amadou and Mariam - Sabali (2008)
828. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Sacrilege (2013)
829. Roxette - Listen To Your Heart (1988)
830. The Seekers - I'll Never Find Another You (1964)
831. Edith Piaf - Hymne à l'amour (1950)
832. Fleetwood Mac - Sara (1979)
833. Lady Gaga - Million Reasons (2016)
834. Dinah Washington - What a Diff'rence a Day Makes (1959)
835. Kanye West ft. Jay-Z and Nicki Minaj - Monster (2010)
836. M.I.A. - Boyz (2007)
837. Portishead - We Carry On (2008)
838. Schnipo Schranke - Pisse (2015)
839. Carla Bruni - Quelqu'un m'a dit (2002)
840. Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion (2015)
841. Dorothy Ashby - The Moving Finger (1970)
842. Joni Mitchell - Carey (1971)
843. Indigo Girls - Closer to Fine (1989)
844. St. Vincent - Champagne Year (2011)
845. Umm Kulthum - Enta Omri (1964)
846. The Dixie Cups - Iko Iko (1965)
847. Nena - Nur geträumt (1983)
848. Shakira - Underneath Your Clothes (2001)
849. The B-52's - Roam (1989)
850. Denise LaSalle - Heartbreaker of the Year (1972)
851. Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile - Over Everything (2017)
852. Nicki Minaj - Super Bass (2011)
854. Girls' Generation - Gee (2010)
853. X - Los Angeles (1980)
855. ABBA - Lay All Your Love On Me (1980)
856. Judee Sill - Jesus Was a Crossmaker (1971)
857. Bonnie Raitt - Angel From Montgomery (1974)
858. Nico - Chelsea Girls (1967)
859. Randy Crawford - One Day I'll Fly Away (1980)
860. Whitney Houston - How Will I Know (1985)
861. Joan Osborne - One of Us (1995)
862. Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way (1976)
863. Hannah Diamond - Every Night (2014)
864. The Dixie Cups - Chapel of Love (1964)
865. Sophie B. Hawkins - Damn I Wish I Was Your Lover (1992)
866. Antony and the Johnsons - Man Is The Baby (2005)
867. Billie Holiday - Summertime (1936)
868. Letta Mbulu - Mahlalela (1972)
869. The Delgados - Accused of Stealing (2000)
870. Barbara - La solitude (1965)
871. Cyndi Lauper - All Through the Night (1983)
872. No Doubt - Spiderwebs (1995)
873. The xx - Islands (2009)
874. Agnes Obel - Dorian (2013)
875. Rose Royce - Love Don't Live Here Anymore (1978)
877. Inner City - Big Fun (1988)
876. The Ting Tings - Great DJ (2008)
878. Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men - One Sweet Day (1995)
879. Joni Mitchell - This Flight Tonight (1971)
880. Taylor Swift - Style (2014)
881. Sleigh Bells - Crown on the Ground (2009)
882. Juana Molina - Eras (2013)
883. Frances Yip - Green Is The Mountain (2012)
884. Lykke Li - Sadness Is a Blessing (2011)
885. Sleater-Kinney - One More Hour (1997)
886. The Chantels - Maybe (1957)
887. Heart - What About Love (1985)
888. Shawn Colvin - Sunny Came Home (1996)
889. Basement Jaxx - Red Alert (1999)
890. Aretha Franklin - Baby I Love You (1967)
891. Hole - Miss World (1994)
892. Julieta Venegas - Me voy (2006)
893. Donna Summer - Last Dance (1978)
894. Alison Krauss - When You Say Nothing At All (1995)
895. Rodrigo y Gabriela - Stairway to Heaven (2006)
896. Carole King - (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman (1971)
897. Melody's Echo Chamber - I Follow You (2012)
898. Fiona Apple - Fast As You Can (1999)
899. Amália Rodrigues - Ai Mouraria (1945)
900. Kate Bush - Jig of Life (1985)
901. Joni Mitchell - Little Green (1971)
902. Natalie Prass - My Baby Don't Understand Me (2015)
903. LeAnn Rimes - How Do I Live (1997)
904. En Vogue - Free Your Mind (1992)
905. Belly - Feed The Tree (1993)
906. The Velvet Underground - After Hours (1969)
907. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds feat. Kylie Minogue - Where the Wild Roses Grow (1995)
908. Kylie Minogue - Slow (2003)
909. TLC - No Scrubs (1999)
910. Hole - Malibu (1998)
911. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Cities in Dust (1985)
912. Janelle Monae - Locked Inside (2010)
913. Francoise Hardy - Le temps de l'amour (1962)
914. Pat Benatar - Fire and Ice (1981)
915. Sleater-Kinney - Dig Me Out (1997)
916. The Ronettes - Baby I Love You (1963)
917. Adele - When We Were Young (2015)
918. Ms. Dynamite - It Takes More (2002)
920. Cher - Believe (1998)
919. M.I.A. - Bucky Done Gun (2005)
921. Paramore - Misery Business (2007)
922. Neko Case - Hold On, Hold On (2006)
923. The Distillers - Drain the Blood (2003)
924. Patti Smith - Break It Up (1975)
925. Fiona Apple - O' Sailor (2005)
926. Robyn and Röyksopp - Every Little Thing (2014)
927. Alicia Keys - No One (2007)
928. Chromatics - Kill For Love (2011)
929. Chaka Khan - I Feel For You (1984)
930. Portishead - Numb (1994)
931. Laura Marling - Night Terror (2008)
932. Miss Kittin and Golden Boy - Rippin Kittin (2001)
933. Lena Horne - Stormy Weather (1942)
934. Tricky - Overcome (1995)
935. Camera Obscura - French Navy (2009)
936. Irene Cara - Flashdance... What a Feeling (1983)
937. Courtney Barnett - Depreston (2015)
938. Joni Mitchell - In France They Kiss on Main Street (1975)
939. The Sundays - Skin and Bones (1990)
940. Jane Weaver - Slow Motion (2017)
941. The Supremes - Love Child (1968)
942. Cardi B - Bodak Yellow (2017)
943. Bettye LaVette - Let Me Down Easy (1965)
944. Grimes - Go (2014)
945. Mùm - Green Grass of Tunnels (2002)
946. Doris Troy - Just One Look (1963)
947. Angel Olsen - Intern (2016)
948. Annie Lennox - No More "I Love You's" (1995)
949. Magali Noël - Fais-moi mal, Johnny ! (1956)
950. The Vaselines - Son of a Gun (1987)
951. Kelis - Milkshake (2003)
952. Warpaint - Love Is To Die (2013)
953. Mariah Carey - Dreamlover (1993)
954. Carly Rae Jepsen - Making the Most of the Night (2015)
955. Gaelynn Lea - Someday We'll Linger in the Sun  (2016)
956. Disclosure feat. London Grammar - Help Me Lose My Mind (2013)
957. Goldfrapp - Lovely Head (2000)
958. Mary J. Blige - Family Affair (2001)
959. Hole - Violet (1994)
960. Fiona Apple - Paper Bag (1999)
961. Javiera Mena - Luz de piedra de luna (2010)
962. Eurythmics - Take Me To Your Heart (1981)
963. Sarah McLachlan - Do What You Have To Do (1997)
964. Disclosure feat. Eliza - You and Me (2013)
965. Mary Margaret O’Hara - To Cry About (1988)
966. Gillian Welch - Dark Turn of Mind (2011)
967. Shakira - Whenever, Wherever (2001)
968. The Pretenders - Talk of the Town (1980)
969. Santigold - Lights Out (2008)
970. Elastica - Stutter (1993)
971. Gillian Welch - Revelator (2001)
972. The Carter Family - Can the Circle Be Unbroken (Bye and Bye) (1935)
973. Sarah Vaughan - Summertime (1950)
974. Shirley Bassey - Goldfinger (1964)
975. Sheryl Crow - My Favorite Mistake (1998)
976. Miriam Makeba - The Click Song (1960)
977. Faith Hill - Breathe (1999)
978. Siouxsie and The Banshees - Israel (1980)
979. Loretta Lynn - Coal Miner's Daughter (1970)
980. The Pretenders - Message of Love (1981)
981. Anita Ward - Ring my Bell (1979)
982. The Carpenters - Goodbye to Love (1972)
983. Wanda Jackson - Let's Have a Party (1958)
984. Joan Baez - Diamonds and Rust (1975)
985. Kim Wilde - Cambodia (1982)
986. Destiny’s Child - Independent Women Part 1 (2000)
987. Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry (1960)
988. Laura Marling - Wild Fire (2017)
990. Emmylou Harris - Sweet Old World (1995)
989. Marianne Faithfull - As Tears Go By (1964)
991. First Aid Kit - My Silver Lining (2014)
992. Tante Hortense and Revista do Samba - Le bel amant du Berry  (2011)
993. Goldie feat. Diane Charlemagne - Inner City Life (1994)
994. Miriam Makeba - Ntjilo Ntjilo (1962)
995. Nina Simone - Funkier Than a Mosquito's Tweeter (1974)
996. Chaka Khan - I'm Every Woman (1978)
997. Mary Mary - Shackles (Praise You) (1999)
998. Lily Allen - LDN (2006)
999. Avril Lavigne - Complicated (2002)
1000. Björk - Stonemilker (2015)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

I can't believe I was the only person that vote for Dido's "Thank you". So essential.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Statistics time.

17: Björk / Sugarcubes, Joni Mitchell, Madonna
13: ABBA, Fever Ray / The Knife
12: Kate Bush
11: Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross / Supremes, Portishead
10: Fleetwood Mac, Nina Simone, PJ Harvey
9: Beyoncé
8: Adele, Blondie, Patti Smith, Robyn
7: Carole King, Fiona Apple, Grimes, Heart, Mariah Carey, Pretenders, Sleater-Kinney
6: Billie Holiday, Chvrches, Edith Piaf, Janelle Monáe, Joanna Newsom, M.I.A., St. Vincent
5: Antony/ANOHNI, B-52's, Carly Rae Jepsen, Courtney Barnett, Donna Summer, Hole, Nico, Stereolab, The xx, Whitney Houston
4: Alicia Keys, Annie Lennox / Eurythmics, Cyndi Lauper, Dionne Warwick, Dusty Springfield, Elizabeth Fraser, First Aid Kit, Fugees / Lauryn Hill, Gwen Stefani / No Doubt, Janis Joplin, Lady Gaga, Lana Del Rey, Linda Ronstadt, Mamas and the Papas, Patsy Cline, Ronettes, Sheryl Crow, Suzanne Vega, Tina Turner, Tori Amos, Yeah Yeah Yeahs
3: Alanis Morissette, Amy Winehouse, Arcade Fire, Bat for Lashes, Bessie Smith, Bonnie Raitt, Carly Simon, Carpenters, Cat Power, Chaka Khan, Chic, Cranberries, Crystals, Feist, Haim, Janet Jackson, Joan Baez, Julia Holter, Kylie Minogue, Lily Allen, Lorde, Marianne Faithfull, Martha and the Vandellas, Miriam Makeba, Missy Elliott, Moloko, Nancy Sinatra, Paramore, Pat Benatar. Rihanna, Sade, Saint Etienne, Santigold, Sarah Vaughan, Shakira, Shangri-La's, Sia, Sinead O'Connor, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sleigh Bells, Stevie Nicks (solo), Sundays, Taylor Swift, TLC, Tracy Chapman

Notes: 1000 is just an arbitrary number, and these counts are just for the top 1000, so take it with a grain of salt.
I might not have combined artists completely correctly, as I am not familiar with all 1000 songs.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Rob wrote:I always viewed Be My Baby as first and foremost a Phil Spector song. It's a bit wry that the first place goes to a song were the main creative brain was a man. Though I would have voted for the song too, so there.
Hymie wrote:Must be Ellie Greenwich, who wrote "Be My Baby," "River Deep Mountain High" and maybe one other song in the top 100.
BleuPanda wrote:I messaged Nassim about it, he said:
"Carol Kaye, she played bass in God Only Know, Good Vibrations, River Deep Mountain High and quite a few other songs ranked fairly high in AM (I'm a Believer, Wichita Lineman, These Boots are Made for Walking...) and also played guitar in at least one (Then He Kissed Me)."
(the last two quotes don't come from this thread but from the artists thread)

Yes, Rob, I wouldn't say that the main creative brain in "Be My Baby" was a man, althought (that's true) everyone including me see it mainly as a song by Phil Spector.
a) The song is credited to Greenwich/Barry/Spector but Phil Spector was not primarily a songwriter, his only sole credit (to my knowledge) was his very first song, "To Know Him Is to Love Him." He used mainly for his productions originals from the Brill Building songwriting teams of Greenwich/Barry, Mann/Weill or Goffin/King (the three of them featuring brilliant female songwriters). In many songs he was also credited as a co-songwriter but there is debatable if was actually involved in songwriting or he was credited mainly for copyright reason (see here). On the other side Ellie Greenwich had a long string of hits written by her, both in partnership with Jeff Barry (or others) and solo. One thing I don't know about her partnership with Barry is which one was more responsible of the lyrics and which one of the music. Probably both wrote together gathering their ideas on both fields.
b) Although the bulk of the musicians and arrangers that created the trademark Wall of Sound were male, Spector always worked with a female musician on bass, Carol Kaye, a legendary session musician that played in almost 10,000 recordings. On backing vocals we find other talented ladies like Cher or Darlene Love. And the lead vocals by Veronica Bennett are anthological, with her delicious vibrato and her sweet "whoas" and "oh-oh-ohs."
c) The song is undoubtedly the peak of this Pop sub-style called "Girl Group" that dominated the charts during the early 60s and was a huge influence on bands like The Beatles or The Beach Boys.

So if the song was mainly written by a woman, brilliantly sung by a woman and was representative of the Girl Group sound I think is a more than worthy winner of our women's song poll, even if Phil Spector was the brilliant producer behind it. At least this is my opinion.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”