Olympic Poll Idea

ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Olympic Poll Idea

Post by ordinaryperson »

It might be too late for this considering that the Olympics start today but I've had this idea rolling around in my head for the last couple days. My idea is that we have a poll for albums and songs from South Korea to coincide with the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang. Given the time this poll would start I would imagine the deadline would have to be a little (or maybe a lot) after February 25th. What do you guys think about this idea?
There is No More Firmament.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: Olympic Poll Idea

Post by StevieFan13 »

Mmmm...could be!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Well I can't think of a single SK artist I enjoy, but my daughter would be thrilled to participate. BTS / Day6, or 7. :)
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

South Korea is a terrible country for music as far as I know, but I would be glad to be convinced otherwise. I only know some K-pop and a little traditional music.
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I won't participate in a South Korea poll but count me in for a world music (for lack of a better term) poll.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Orange Caramel’s ”Catallena” and Girls’ Generation’s ”Gee” were both in the top 100 of my list of songs by female artists. I would love to get recommendations of similar songs!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

spiritualized wrote:Well I can't think of a single SK artist I enjoy, but my daughter would be thrilled to participate. BTS / Day6, or 7. :)
I have heard a few very enjoyable Kpop songs bc of my sister, but it’s overall not my thing either.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Here's an alternate world music suggestion: every time a country wins a gold medal, throw the next song from that country's list into a hat. At the end of the games, have a run-off between all the medallists. We'll get lots of Americans, as always, going up against Scandinavians (cross-country), the Netherlands (speed skating), the S. Koreans (short track), and a smattering of Canadians, Swiss, Italians and surprise winners.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

ordinaryperson wrote:It might be too late for this considering that the Olympics start today but I've had this idea rolling around in my head for the last couple days. My idea is that we have a poll for albums and songs from South Korea to coincide with the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang. Given the time this poll would start I would imagine the deadline would have to be a little (or maybe a lot) after February 25th. What do you guys think about this idea?
I don't know enough Korean music to participate in that. But I love the Olympics, and you better believe that I'll be up at 3am for some mixed doubles curling on NBCSN tomorrow.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

A very good idea. Unfortunately, I've heard exactly zero albums from Korea. Also, I would say I can count on one hand the number of Korean songs that I love.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

I actually haven't heard a lot of Korean albums or songs and was hoping to discover them through this poll. I was imagining this poll as something more like the one song per day thread from awhile back. DocBrown's idea is really good and I would be fine with doing that. But remember host nations tend to do well at the Olympics.
There is No More Firmament.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Does remind me of the Acclaimed Eurovision idea I had a while back.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I haven't heard much from South Korea besides a few pop songs, I don't know if there even is any kind of rock scene or indie scene. So I won't be able to vote but I'd check out the winners.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”