AMF EOY Best Songs of 2017 -- RESULTS

Henrik
Site Admin

Re: AMF EOY Best Songs of 2017 -- RESULTS

Post by Henrik »

Listyguy wrote:
Nick wrote: There is 1 artist with 5 songs in AMF EOY Top 10s this decade:

Kendrick Lamar - Never Catch Me [with Flying Lotus] (2014); The Blacker the Berry (2015); King Kunta (2015); DNA. (2017); HUMBLE. (2017)
Wait...nothing from Good Kid Maad City made the top 10 back in 2012? That's almost unfathomable to think possible!
There are no KL songs in the top 10 of 2012 on AM either...!?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Henrik wrote:
Listyguy wrote:
Nick wrote: There is 1 artist with 5 songs in AMF EOY Top 10s this decade:

Kendrick Lamar - Never Catch Me [with Flying Lotus] (2014); The Blacker the Berry (2015); King Kunta (2015); DNA. (2017); HUMBLE. (2017)
Wait...nothing from Good Kid Maad City made the top 10 back in 2012? That's almost unfathomable to think possible!
There are no KL songs in the top 10 of 2012 on AM either...!?
In our 2012 songs poll, Kendrick Lamar had just 3 songs in the top 100. Here's how they placed...

65. Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst
46. Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe
20. Swimming Pools (Drank)

...some of this probably could be explained by vote splitting, but even still, it's hard for me to see these songs ranking this low if we re-did the poll today...
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I'm stunned that "Swimming Pools" is on 1300 on AM. Especially given the placements of his more recent songs.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Listyguy wrote:I'm stunned that "Swimming Pools" is on 1300 on AM. Especially given the placements of his more recent songs.
Some lists of Kendrick’s best songs place it surprisingly low.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Listyguy wrote:I'm stunned that "Swimming Pools" is on 1300 on AM. Especially given the placements of his more recent songs.
My favorite Kendrick song, "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe" isn't even in the top 3,000!
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Jirin wrote:I would have voted Green Light very high. I think it's one of the best songs of the year, but I don't place the full album as high as other people do.
For me it is the other way around. Melodrama is one of those albums on which every track is pretty great and that makes the competition tougher. We voted for 3 Melodrama songs in our list and I also voted for 3 of them on my top 75. None of these three made our top 100. I thought at least Homemade Dynamite would be a lock. I've noticed many different Lorde songs on various lists, so there might be a lot of vote splitting here. It might have cost Green Light the top spot, though Kendrick Lamarr also had many songs in contention. Didn't vote for Humble either, by the way (I'm also more of DNA. fan).

For me the most baffling exclusion is Beautifully Unconventional by Wolf Alice. For some reason I can't even explain I thought that one was beloved across this whole forum, but then everyone ended up voting for Don't Delete the Kisses, which I don't find half as good myself. I've warned you all, if Beautifully Unconventional doesn't end up higher than Don't Delete the Kisses I'd rebel. I still want to see the album results, but after that I'm going to hack this site and turn it into a Milli Vanilli re-appreciation spot. You've been warned.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

My 2 cents on DNA: Great for the first two minutes, and then it totally pivots. For me, it feels like it loses its momentum, I find the repeated sample in the background annoying, and I almost always have a hard time with music that has no musical notes. Kendrick's rapping is still good on the second half, but without the beat that bolstered the first half, the ending feels somewhat hollow. Still on the edge of my top 50 based on the strength of the first two minutes.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Rob wrote:
Jirin wrote:I would have voted Green Light very high. I think it's one of the best songs of the year, but I don't place the full album as high as other people do.
For me it is the other way around. Melodrama is one of those albums on which every track is pretty great and that makes the competition tougher. We voted for 3 Melodrama songs in our list and I also voted for 3 of them on my top 75. None of these three made our top 100. I thought at least Homemade Dynamite would be a lock. I've noticed many different Lorde songs on various lists, so there might be a lot of vote splitting here. It might have cost Green Light the top spot, though Kendrick Lamarr also had many songs in contention. Didn't vote for Humble either, by the way (I'm also more of DNA. fan).

For me the most baffling exclusion is Beautifully Unconventional by Wolf Alice. For some reason I can't even explain I thought that one was beloved across this whole forum, but then everyone ended up voting for Don't Delete the Kisses, which I don't find half as good myself. I've warned you all, if Beautifully Unconventional doesn't end up higher than Don't Delete the Kisses I'd rebel. I still want to see the album results, but after that I'm going to hack this site and turn it into a Milli Vanilli re-appreciation spot. You've been warned.
I voted for Beautifully Unconventional and didn't vote for Don't Delete the Kisses, but my favorite from the album was actually Yuk Foo, which I don't think anyone else voted for. That album had strong songs across several different styles so it doesn't surprise me that it split votes.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Some lists of Kendrick’s best songs place it surprisingly low.
It still blows my mind that The Blacker the Berry didn't place more highly with critics in 2015. It just seems to be the epitome of what should be a critically acclaimed song. Thankfully on the forum we had it much higher.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

No Spotify playlist this year?
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

Nick wrote: Also for a couple of years now Chambord's been posting how artists have been faring this decade with respect to the number of songs/albums that have made our EOY top ten. I haven't seen any post from him here, so I figure I'll do the honors...
Thanks, I had a busy period lately and only now I was able to check the results.
I'll post the decade results for albums when the rollout will be over.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

panam wrote:No Spotify playlist this year?
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

At the time I voted, I had heard 47 of our eventual top 50. I've been listening to the other 3 a lot since - Tú sí sabes quererme, Undercover (voted for both in Women in Music poll), and Magnificent (She Says). They're all beautiful songs that I would have absolutely voted for. This list blows away all the other ones - you guys are the best. If only there were a better way to discover these right away (the weekly chart is great, but many songs still slip through). I'm still happy to discover some gems around the end of each year though.

I agree with others that the very top might not stand out as much as other years, but 2017 had remarkable depth.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

panam wrote:
panam wrote:No Spotify playlist this year?
You can't make one yourself?
There you go:

Everything is on Spotify!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Awesome, Rob!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I am kicking myself over and over for not having heard "In Undertow" before this poll. I discovered it when it placed so high here. Had I heard it before I submitted my list it would've made my top 5 songs of the year for sure.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”