New site update in spring ... and then?

nicolas

Re: New site update in spring ... and then?

Post by nicolas »

Henrik

I read this yesterday and it left me speechless. I couldn't write a line (and I also had a shitload of class preparations to do :D ) Like so many said, it left me with mixed emotions : sadness, release (like Dan said in such a beautiful manner).
Acclaimed Music changed my life, it's a part of my life, I have this strange thought that it's almost part of my my body :D. I take it everywhere I go. It was the exact thing I needed : something to help me organize and expand my love of music. And I've found friends there (you, Honorio, Dan, Greg, Ian, netjade and all the others I haven't met but had passionate conversations with in the forum...), and even made some musical projects (with Hon). Right now I'm listening to an everchanging big playlist of 1001 songs designed for my next all time song list. Just like you I've grown convinced that a true objective personal all time list is something impossible to make, but that it's a fantastic opportunity to listen and re-listen to loads of great music. Not speaking of the critics in whose line I've never truly been...
Thanks is such a little word ...I know that you still love music (a love for music is something we'll all die with :mrgreen: ).
As for the site, I don't know what i can do to help, but I'm willing to give some of my sparse free time to help.
Edit : I could come to the forum more often and do my moderator job for a start..
It also gave me "un coup de vieux" as we say in French. How could I translate that ? The feeling that I'm getting old I suppose :whistle: :whistle:
I'm definitely joining the group hug and I'm adding "obscene" drinking cheers (why the hell did the guys gave that name to that smiley ?????) :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Wow! I am only seeing this now somehow. As others have chimed in, you are worthy of nothing but endless thanks for what you have provided for those of us over the years. I've been coming to this site for 15+ years now, and though I have not been around much the past year or so due to some personal troubles, I hold this place very dear to my heart. It says a lot that when Prince died, it was here that I came first to post instead of the various Prince sites I frequent (including the one where I met my wife!) or through social media (I never got around to making the Big Post about Prince there).

What we all share in common is a love for music and a love for lists. I can imagine I am not alone in drawing some curious glances from many people in my everyday life when discussing such obsessions, but damn it, these things MATTER to me and I am sure they matter to all of us here on the forum. The music we love reveals a lot about who we are - it serves as a sequence of landmarks through our own personal histories and a token of what we hold dear. With this in mind, I have to thank you, Henrik, for creating such a vast resource of musical discovery: it has enriched my life beyond compare and changed who I am!

But it isn't just music that matters to us. As a community, we as members matter to each other in a way that I have rarely encountered online. So many people have made close friendships through AM, all facilitated through this forum that you created. Simply put, this is without a doubt the friendliest music community I've ever encountered, and it is because of you and your vision for this forum, Henrik, that this is so.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors and completely understand the need and desire to step away from the tasks that have taken up so much of your time and energy these past several years. You've more than earned a reprieve. I have no doubt that this place will continue to function as the vibrant, wonderful place it is. As Honorio suggested, I am sure we can collectively pitch in to continue with the formal site updates. I'd be happy to contribute where I can: I think I could help with some of the "end work" in calculating the scores for the albums and songs. Despite the input lists growing bigger and more numerous, I think software is more than capable of coping with this through time, and I imagine I could come up with some code in R for piecing it all together.
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Post by notdarkyet »

Is this why the front page still says next update coming sometime in 2019 because it will continue on a community driven basis?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

notdarkyet wrote:Is this why the front page still says next update coming sometime in 2019 because it will continue on a community driven basis?
It says sometime in 2019 because there will be at least another normal update. I haven’t decided how many more albums or critics’ lists that will be added, but at least 2018 end of year lists will be included for both albums and songs. Hopefully a lot of alltime albums lists will be added too, but I’m not promising anything at the moment.

I also really want to do an update in 2020, after the ’10s end of decade lists. But then...?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Post by notdarkyet »

Cool...appreciate the info!
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

You do what you feel is best for you, Henrik. We all appreciate the work and effort you've put into this site through the years. Whatever happens, after a couple of more updates, an archival site (and continuing forum) would be satisfying.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

If there's some sort of way I can use AI to help process updates. I don't have the time to offer a lot of manual labor processing lists, but I might be able to come up with some NLP solution to determine different references to the same song.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”