Music Quiz "Goûte mes Disques" - Brussels - March 24

Nassim
Full of Fire

Music Quiz "Goûte mes Disques" - Brussels - March 24

Post by Nassim »

Hey everyone,
I have secured a spot for a team at the "Goûte mes Disques" music quiz on the 24th of March in Brussels.

Anyone would be interested in joining the team ?

You don't need to speak English, there might be some trivia part in the mix but nothing I wouldn't be able to translate. There's usually some French speaking songs in the mix, but not that much (maybe except the one time they had a "Belgian music" round.
Most of the quiz is oriented towards, well, acclaimed music ! Here is an example of one of the previous ones : http://www.goutemesdisques.com/dossiers ... e-debrief/
The first round is called "warm up" and I'd expect pretty much anyone in there to get at least 16 or 17 out of 20 (Action Bronson though ?). It gets harder after though.

In more practical terms, it's in Brussels, starts at 7 and takes most of the evening (so most likely you'd need to stay for the night if you come from afar). It's about 12€ by person, but same thing, I can cover that if you come from far away.
There are lots of things to win, mostly concerts and festival tickets but also CDs, vynils and other goodies.

I took part in the 2nd one and we finished 2nd... but I pretty much played alone, so I'm pretty sure with AMers as teammates we could win the thing (also I might have a couple teammates from the music quiz I go to on Wednesday, but they are more classic rock buffs than more recent acclaimed stuff that makes up a lot of those quizes).

And well, would be great way to meet AMers around beers and music !

So yeah, if any one is interested please shout !
Nassim
Full of Fire

Re: Music Quiz "Goûte mes Disques" - Brussels - March 24

Post by Nassim »

I figured I might as well translate the categories in the round above for those who would just want to play.

Category 1 : warm-up, 20 song : 1 point for the artist, 1 point for the title

Category 2 : covers : 1 point for the ORIGINAL artist, 1 point for the title

Category 3 : decades : 1 point for the artist, 1 point for the title, 2 points for the decade of release

Category 4 : samples : 1 point for the famous song sampling this, 1 point for the artist who sampled it

Category 5 : album covers : 1 point for the title of the album, 1 point for the artist

Category 6 : lullabies : those are lullabies versions of songs : 1 point for the title, 1 point for the artist

Category 7 : quotes : they give you 10 quotes and you have to find who said each (I think they give the 10 authors and you have to find who said what... not going to translate that except if you really want me to !). 2 points for each right association

Category 8 : 30 songs, grouped by series of 3. The 3 songs in a serie have "something" in common, you need to guess what.
1 point for the title, 1 point for the artist, 3 points for the common link

Category 9 : the "hold-up" : 1 point for the artist, 1 point for the song, 3 points for the label on which it was released

That last round always have a bonus thing for 3 points, I think some other times it was the producer.
I know there have been rounds where you had to give the country of origin or the name of the album, but maybe not for 3 points each.

PS1 : yes, we call music quizes "blind tests" in France and Belgium, we like to use English words differently as English speakers (see tennisman, relooking and pom-pom girls for instance).

PS2 : in a vaguely related topic, Listyguy, the hugequiz sites has been revamped and some quizes have been redoned and had there scores reset, so you need to climb your way back to the top of the Rolling Stones top 500 songs leaderboard.
Chilton
Different Class

Post by Chilton »

If I were still in Belgium, I would have loved to join you because I just love doing these quizzes (even though I'm not really good at it :mrgreen: ). Had some fun with this one and completely flunked the album cover, the links and the label round :angry-banghead:
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

So we made it to 3rd place !
Pretty sure having an AMer with us would have made the difference, we lost by about 20 points and just comforting me that, against the opinion of all my teammates, About a Girl was in Bleach and not a late Nirvana song, would have got us about 15 points (in the last round we had to rank 20 songs in order, and each correct position would get 3 points. We assumed About a Girl was 93 or 94 when I was rooting for 89, so we got about 5 songs one spot off...)

But anyway, it was pretty fun and we got out with a big bag of prizes !
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Nassim wrote:So we made it to 3rd place !
Pretty sure having an AMer with us would have made the difference, we lost by about 20 points and just comforting me that, against the opinion of all my teammates, About a Girl was in Bleach and not a late Nirvana song, would have got us about 15 points (in the last round we had to rank 20 songs in order, and each correct position would get 3 points. We assumed About a Girl was 93 or 94 when I was rooting for 89, so we got about 5 songs one spot off...)

But anyway, it was pretty fun and we got out with a big bag of prizes !
The famous unplugged version was released in ‘94, so not totally off. Congrats!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”