[Results] Songs of the 2000s

andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Re: [Results] Songs of the 2000s

Post by andyd1010 »

DaveC wrote:
Toni wrote:Every post I became more sure that Bang Jan and sonofsamiam are the same person, lol
I'm really happy to see those songs by Muse (Bang Jan & sonofsamiam not fans) and Nick Cave (Bang Jan & sonofsamiam fans) get the kind of recognition that I think they deserve. Bang Jan & sonofsamiam live & work in different parts of the world, so probably not the same person. An anti-Muse conspiracy is possible; though Muse rather invite that both musically and lyrically.
Haha, I was wondering who here has the least similar tastes to mine between BangJan and sonofsamiam, but I didn't notice how similar their tastes were to each other's. There She Goes, My Beautiful World is the only thing we agree on so far - even though I'm not listed as a top fan, that's a great song. And I'm also happy for the general upward trending of Muse since I joined the forum.

A little anecdote on Missy Elliott - I first found this website on a Sporcle quiz years ago, and I had no idea that she was a critically acclaimed artist. The comments section was similarly shocked, and they basically dismissed the merits of this site because 'no method could possibly put Get Ur Freak On above every Pink Floyd song.' It was the biggest complaint anyone had with the list. Now I like Missy Elliott fine (I'm not one of the 'not fans'), but her poor performance here made me think of that.

For me, the song that was the most baffling when I first went through this site was House of Jealous Lovers. I seriously thought it had to be a mistake. I still don't think I've ever heard anyone else play that song in my life or anyone mention it besides on this forum. I think it's very strange and hard to get into, so I have no idea why critics think it's better than every song by Arcade Fire.

...Started writing that before realizing it was the second-highest ranked song that didn't make our top 150 (behind Kids), so I guess I'm not alone in thinking that. I'll echo Nassim's shock about Kids though. Maybe I'm the only one here who thinks it deserves its acclaim.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

House of Jealous Lovers is in my top 100 songs of all time...I feel like dance-punk and that whole general area of indie dance from this era gets ignored on this forum (Hot Chip gets completely ignored most of the time, LCD Soundsystem get most of their attention from after they switch styles...). I'd definitely take House of Jealous Lovers over any Arcade Fire song.

I guess that could explain the comparative weakness of "Get Ur Freak On" and "Blind" as well, and even the lack of "Kids." People here really seem to dislike dance music.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

BleuPanda wrote:House of Jealous Lovers is in my top 100 songs of all time...I feel like dance-punk and that whole general area of indie dance from this era gets ignored on this forum (Hot Chip gets completely ignored most of the time, LCD Soundsystem get most of their attention from after they switch styles...). I'd definitely take House of Jealous Lovers over any Arcade Fire song.

I guess that could explain the comparative weakness of "Get Ur Freak On" and "Blind" as well, and even the lack of "Kids." People here really seem to dislike dance music.
I was actually playing Blind in my head as I wrote that... I confuse those two songs a lot, although I prefer Blind (slightly).

Rob has commented on a lot of these songs as great dance songs, but I have never heard most of them in a dance setting. Most of the time in my experience people dance to songs like Billie Jean, Hey Ya, or some other smash hit, past or present. I hear Kids plenty, Get Ur Freak On sometimes, but never the other songs.

Edit: I've definitely also danced to Bad Romance and Single Ladies (again, smash hits), and maybe Digital Love and Wolf Like Me, but definitely not Archangel, The Past Is a Grotesque Animal, Jigsaw Falling into Place, or Silent Shout.

I'd be curious to check out a place with a dancefloor that plays music like that.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

andyd1010 wrote: Edit: I've definitely also danced to Bad Romance and Single Ladies (again, smash hits), and maybe Digital Love and Wolf Like Me, but definitely not Archangel, The Past Is a Grotesque Animal, Jigsaw Falling into Place, or Silent Shout.

I'd be curious to check out a place with a dancefloor that plays music like that.
I only said they were dance-able, which doesn't necessarily mean they appear on the dance floor. I'm not one who could say anything about that anyway, as I don't actually go to clubs to dance.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Rob wrote:
andyd1010 wrote: Edit: I've definitely also danced to Bad Romance and Single Ladies (again, smash hits), and maybe Digital Love and Wolf Like Me, but definitely not Archangel, The Past Is a Grotesque Animal, Jigsaw Falling into Place, or Silent Shout.

I only said they were dance-able, which doesn't necessarily mean they appear on the dance floor. I'm not one who could say anything about that anyway, as I don't actually go to clubs to dance.
Fair. What I'm saying is that most of the acclaimed 'dance' music that doesn't seem to do well on this forum is music that I have never actually danced to.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 400x400]http://www.magneticmag.com/.image/t_sha ... m-news.jpg[/imgsize]
Celebrate and dance so free
45. Daft Punk - One More Time
Score: 946.2 pts
Year of Release: 2000 (#2 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 30 (293 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 14
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 29

Fans: BleuPanda(5), Toni(14)
Not Fans: JamieW(140), phil(143), Rob(144)

Rob: I never got into this one, or most of Daft Punk from before Random Access Memory. Sure, the tempo shifts are somewhat nice, but overall this is too repetitive for my tastes. I prefer my dance music a little more dynamic than this.

[imgsize 400x400]http://t2.genius.com/unsafe/220x0/https ... x600x1.jpg[/imgsize]
And the power's out in the heart of man,
44. Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
Score: 948.1 pts
Year of Release: 2004 (#6 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 270 (2345 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 121
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: Not top 100

Fans: Brad(13), JamieW(10), phil(10)
Not Fans: sonofsamiam(146)

Rob: The third Neighbourhood to me isn’t half as successful as #1. It is still a fine song, but also more messy and noisy. That might be intentional, but this is a band that seem far more at ease with clear and clean sounds than something more down-to-earth.

StevieFan13: Wes Butler must have such an interesting brain. It takes a certain kind of genius to craft songs as daftly brilliant as “Neighborhood #3”.

[imgsize 533x400]http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/133765357.jpg[/imgsize]
This is really happening
43. Radiohead - Idioteque
Score: 951.8 pts
Year of Release: 2000 (#10 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 28 (287 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 28
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 47

Fans: Brad(12), DepecheMode(8), Listyguy(14)
Not Fans: maverick470(100/109), slick(97/100), Toni(138)

Rob: Well at least this has the best line of Radiohead’s career: “Ice age coming/ Throw it into the fire”. These guys even seem to have humour. It is the song that most exemplifies Kid A in my mind, as it is both very artificial and mechanical, but also oddly catchy and even moving. There is just a lot going on here, but it works as well on a fleeting as on a close listen.

[imgsize 400x400]http://consequenceofsound.files.wordpre ... -black.jpg[/imgsize]
I died a hundred times
42. Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
Score: 957 pts
Year of Release: 2006 (#4 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 115 (1020 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 71

Fans: bonnielaurel(4)
Not Fans: slick(100/100)

Rob: This one gets the best out of Winehouse. She can sound defeated, broken and still defiant at the same time like no one else can. The R&B rhythm is inspired and really showed how creative Winehouse was with her influences. This is one of those songs that made me wish we had more of her music.

StevieFan13: My favorite Amy Winehouse track, which might make it my favorite anything ever. I love “Rehab” too, but I’m sad this never became her biggest hit.

[imgsize 518x400]http://headphonenation.files.wordpress. ... -funny.jpg[/imgsize]
Yesterday I woke up sucking on a lemon
41. Radiohead - Everything in Its Right Place
Score: 958.5 pts
Year of Release: 2000 (#11 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 84 (737 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 49
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 30

Fans: BangJan(10), DepecheMode(7), Listyguy(12)
Lowest rank: Nassim(123)

Rob: Despite the positive sounding title this is one of the iciest songs on the album and I mean that as a compliment. Like most of Kid A the mechanical nature fails to hide a feeling of discomfort that is positively chilling. I don’t know if the lyrics are consciously meant to be ironic or not, but to me this is another top track of a top tier album.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 400x400]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... ecover.jpg[/imgsize]
Doesn't mean it's there
40. Radiohead - There There (The Boney King of Nowhere.)
Score: 965.8 pts
Year of Release: 2003 (#5 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 138 (1279 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 79
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 60

Fans: Brad(8), DaveC(5), DepecheMode(6), rumpdoll(8)
Lowest rank: bonnielaurel(128)

Rob: By the time this song came out Radiohead just wrote lyrics that didn’t tell anything resembling a story, but just settled for famous anxious lines, like “Just cause you feel it, doesn’t mean it’s there” or “We are an accident, waiting to happen”. Some might say that is when they became a parody of themselves, but I have to admit that it works once again for me, even if I don’t think this is quite as complete or complex a song as their best work.

StevieFan13: Radiohead lay down a stone-cold groove on “There There.” I’ve heard mixed things about the rest of the album, but if this track is anything to judge by, I’d probably like it much more than Amnesiac and Kid A. It’s a little more accessible, but still artsy and free-flowing. It is, in other words, peak Radiohead

[imgsize 400x400]http://lamusicblog.com/wp-content/uploa ... t-on-2.jpg[/imgsize]
Don't worry, even if things get heavy
39. Modest Mouse - Float On
Score: 975 pts
Year of Release: 2004 (#3 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 44 (400 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 99
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 63

Fans: Neil(4), StevieFan13(12)
Not Fans: DepecheMode(137/143), sonofsamiam(144)

Rob: Modest Mouse is one of these artists that seem to have been rather big on the indie scene round the turn of the century (when I wasn’t paying attention), but who also seems to have vanished from conversation for the most part. I never really listened closely to him before, but I recognize this tune. The passionate vocals and jangly guitar are not all that typical for indie music from the time and as far as I can tell also not for Modest Mouse, but it works very nicely. This song is more fun than most indie music of the time allowed itself to be.

[imgsize 400x400]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... efloor.jpg[/imgsize]
Dancing to electro-pop like a robot from 1984
38. Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor
Score: 983.7 pts
Year of Release: 2005 (#3 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 14 (147 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 61

Fans: BleuPanda(8), StevieFan13(3)
Lowest rank: Henry(135)

Rob: This was quite the sensation at the time. It isn’t that original when you look at it, but somehow it works. It rocks, it is party ready, but also comes off as smart and eloquent. Besides, Alex Turner’s accent on itself felt fresh enough to sell this song. And it remains a rock highlight of the decade.

StevieFan13: Just a solid rock track. Arctic Monkeys weren’t reinventing the wheel the way the British music press would have you believe, but to see such a back-to-basics garage rock song like “I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor” thrive on the British charts and reduce crowds from Glastonbury to the 2012 Olympics to head-banging euphoria is a sight to behold. I’ll always love it, and the band responsible for it, dearly. Also, holy shit, the lyrics are great, especially on the bridge.

[imgsize 400x400]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _cover.jpg[/imgsize]
But I still don't understand
Just how your love can do what no one else can
37. Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z - Crazy in Love
Score: 986.7 pts
Year of Release: 2003 (#6 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 4 (49 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 36
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 78

Fans: Dan(6), Dexter(7)
Lowest rank: Nassim(117)

Rob: Men, those circular horns. It seems that from the start of her solo career Beyoncé immediately got the best produced pop songs. There is some seriously danceable R&B music here and Beyoncé is a singer who can match the rhythms with ease. Still, it isn’t the masterpiece it could have been, because for unclear reasons there is a Jay-Z interlude here that almost brings the whole song to a stand-still. Every time my whole body is in on the tune of this song Jay-Z ultra-slow vocals come in. He can’t keep up with the music. Is this the beginning of unnecessary hip-hop interludes in pop music?

StevieFan13: I can think of better Beyonce songs, but there’s every chance this is the best solo debut ever put on a record. This isn’t just another girl group solo joint; from the moment you hear those horns, you know a star has arrived.

[imgsize 400x400]http://i.pinimg.com/736x/93/97/3f/93973 ... z-band.jpg[/imgsize]
Love forever, love is free
36. Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.
Score: 990.7 pts
Year of Release: 2005 (#2 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 82 (727 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 22
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 54

Fans: phil(13), ProsecutorGodot(13), whuntva(13)
Not Fans: bonnielaurel(138), Henry(139)

Rob: This song has one of the best laughs in music. That’s not something you think about a lot perhaps, but sometimes music needs a good laugh. It isn’t called Feel Good Inc for nothing. Unsurprisingly it is a feel good song too, and my favourite Gorillaz track.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

DaveC wrote:[imgsize 400x400]http://i.pinimg.com/736x/93/97/3f/93973 ... z-band.jpg[/imgsize]
Love forever, love is free
36. Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.
Score: 990.7 pts
Year of Release: 2005 (#2 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 82 (727 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 22
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 54

Fans: phil(13), ProsecutorGodot(13), whuntva(13)
Not Fans: bonnielaurel(138), Henry(139)

Rob: This song has one of the best laughs in music. That’s not something you think about a lot perhaps, but sometimes music needs a good laugh. It isn’t called Feel Good Inc for nothing. Unsurprisingly it is a feel good song too, and my favourite Gorillaz track.
I actually always thought this laugh (and song) was anything but "feel good." The laugh sounded hysterical and sinister to me, and I took the song to be a sardonic statement about how people put feeling good (such as self-destructive, addictive tendencies) before love. Since I never researched this in the slightest, I may have been wrong all along - but I'll always feel unsettled by that evil sounding laugh, especially in the middle section.
Pauler
Let's Get It On

Post by Pauler »

Yeah I have to agree with Rob about Jay Z in "Crazy in Love". From "Crazy in Love", "Deja Vu" to "Drunk in Love", once Jay Z opened his mouth, he ruined the song's flow. But then Bee constantly SINGS IT like her landlord is bombing her phone for rent money so I can't be too mad.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 400x400]http://jaquo.com/wp-content/uploads/201 ... 00x300.jpg[/imgsize]
One night of magic rush
35. The Knife - Heartbeats
Score: 992.5 pts
Year of Release: 2002 (#4 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 39 (362 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 13
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 5

Fans: BleuPanda(3), Dan(13), JamieW(12), sonofsamiam(8)
Not Fans: Listyguy(137)

Rob: Although I think The Knife would develop into even more interesting directions after Heartbeats, this is still a dance track that leaves direct competition in the dust (sorry Daft Punk). As usual with this group around that time, they combine an accessible sound with detail sounds, making it as effective on the dancefloor as off of it.

StevieFan13: Exactly as good as I remembered it being. An intoxicating Scandinavian groove, funky and intriguing. Close to being the highlight of European dance pop, if it weren’t for “D.A.N.C.E.,” but “Heartbeats” is a strange and wonderful journey on its own merits. Hearing it again every time is as exciting as hearing it for the first time.

[imgsize 400x400]http://imagescdn.junodownload.com/full/ ... 2A-BIG.jpg[/imgsize]
Choking on your alibis
34. The Killers - Mr. Brightside
Score: 994.2 pts
Year of Release: 2003 (#7 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 25 (250 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 41

Fans: Dexter(15), Listyguy(3), maverick470(2), whuntva(8)
Not Fans: BangJan(140), Brad(144), DepecheMode(139/143), sonofsamiam(136)

Listyguy: Would calling this song THE rock anthem of the 2000's be going too far? You'd be hard pressed to find a song more people can sing along to.

Rob: This track is mostly solid. I like the way this song works towards the outburst of “I’m Mr. Brightside”. Still, I don’t think it has all that much that is really special about it and there are Killers songs that have more personality or seem more memorable than this one. But I seem to be alone there.

StevieFan13: Every kid from the ages of 12 to 20 knows every single word of this song. Trust me, they do. It’s iconic, the crown jewel of the mid-00s emo movement [let’s face it, it’s emo] and an insanely good breakup track. Universally acknowledged to be good, and that’s a scientific fact.

[imgsize 616x400]http://musicmoveslikeagift.files.wordpr ... tevens.jpg[/imgsize]
And in my best behavior, I am really just like him
33. Sufjan Stevens - John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
Score: 1006.7 pts
Year of Release: 2005 (#4 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 196 (1805 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 15
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 7

Fans: Dan(1), Henry(11), JamieW(9)
Not Fans: DepecheMode(132/143)

Rob: I have to be honest here: I find this song’s lyrics so incredibly creepy that I usually skip it. This is the only song I know that has this effect. Mission accomplished, I think.

StevieFan13: Sufjan Stevens is a talented motherfucker. Everything that makes him great is proudly displayed on “John Wayne Gacy, Jr.” Incredible storytelling, beautiful and close production, as if Stevens is whispering into your ear. Such a voice. Such everything. I’m verklempt.

[imgsize 600x400]http://images.rapgenius.com/40e2f322ff7 ... x333x1.jpg[/imgsize]
I am crying in the bathroom
32. Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day
Score: 1020.8 pts
Year of Release: 2005 (#7 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 687 (5590 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 42
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 18

Fans: Brad(1), Nassim(15), phil(14), Toni(8)
Not Fans: whuntva(138)

Rob: Sufjan Stevens seems hellbent on destroying us emotionally and so he gives us Casimir Pulaski Day, about leukaemia and the unfairness of God (as sung by a singer who is a believer). Thanks, I guess? Stevens is his usual warm and calm self, making this into another compassionate song that demands you to burst into tears.

StevieFan13: Holy shit. If you’re depressed, don’t listen to this one. Still, an incredibly-written song. Grappling with death and religious doubt never sounded so pretty. I’m not crying, you’re crying. Shut up!

[imgsize 400x400]http://www.volarefm.com/wp-content/uplo ... a2190e.jpg[/imgsize]
Wait, they don't love you like I love you
31. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps
Score: 1022 pts
Year of Release: 2003 (#3 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 17 (157 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 52
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 21

Fans: Dexter(13), maverick470(4), StevieFan13(2)
Lowest rank: ProsecutorGodot(132)

Rob: I love Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but this is a case where I don’t get the choice for number 1 song by the act. I always forget somewhat how it goes for some reason. It has catchy elements, but I guess I prefer the more out and out rock sound of other work by this band. This is just a little too cute and meandering for me.

StevieFan13: Some people worry that indie music is too detached and emotionless. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs prove that wrong and then some with “Maps,” a soaring emotional rollercoaster that manages to break me down without ever going too loud or melodramatic every time. It’s the alt-rock “I Will Always Love You,” a torch ballad delivered with the plaintiveness that ‘00s alt-rock is known for. Karen O gives an unmatched performance, and the song’s endured mighty well these past fifteen years.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

So two of the top 10 from our last 2000s songs poll fall outside the top 30 this time.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

DaveC wrote: Listyguy: Would calling this song THE rock anthem of the 2000's be going too far? You'd be hard pressed to find a song more people can sing along to.

[...]

StevieFan13: Every kid from the ages of 12 to 20 knows every single word of this song. Trust me, they do. It’s iconic, the crown jewel of the mid-00s emo movement [let’s face it, it’s emo] and an insanely good breakup track. Universally acknowledged to be good, and that’s a scientific fact.
Strange, as I never noticed this song being played all that much. I certainly don't think it a song everyone can sing along with. A little check at the charts reveals where my doubts come from: this is on of those rare occasions where a worldwide smash somehow didn't have a big impact in The Netherlands (it peaked at #66 here). It still gets airplay, but not all that much. I think around here people associate The Killers more with Human.

But "THE rock anthem of the 2000's" is surely Viva la Vida. That one is even more hooky and was a bigger hit. Love it, hate it, that song still seems inescapable.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I'm proud to be the lowest ranker of "Maps." No matter how many times I listen to it, it just sounds boring. I don't hear this "emotion" that critics rave about.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Rob wrote:
DaveC wrote: Listyguy: Would calling this song THE rock anthem of the 2000's be going too far? You'd be hard pressed to find a song more people can sing along to.

[...]

Strange, as I never noticed this song being played all that much. I certainly don't think it a song everyone can sing along with. A little check at the charts reveals where my doubts come from: this is on of those rare occasions where a worldwide smash somehow didn't have a big impact in The Netherlands (it peaked at #66 here). It still gets airplay, but not all that much. I think around here people associate The Killers more with Human.

But "THE rock anthem of the 2000's" is surely Viva la Vida. That one is even more hooky and was a bigger hit. Love it, hate it, that song still seems inescapable.
I also agree with Steviefan's observation about everyone from ages 12-20 knowing every word of that song. I'm 22, so I'd probably say that it's also got power over those of us who are 20-24, but it really is massive among the younger crowd of music fans.

I feel sorry for all of the Dutch children only knowing The Killers as the "are we human or are we dancer?" band.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Also, "John Wayne Gacy Jr" took one hell of a tumble...I remember when it landed at 7 last time, it was quite an accomplishment (if I remember correctly, Henrik had a dream where Sufjan told him it would end up at #7 or in the top ten...)
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Listyguy wrote:Also, "John Wayne Gacy Jr" took one hell of a tumble...I remember when it landed at 7 last time, it was quite an accomplishment (if I remember correctly, Henrik had a dream where Sufjan told him it would end up at #7 or in the top ten...)
Sadly, this time Henrik had a nightmare where Sufjan told him that only one of the four people who had "John Wayne Gacy Jr" at #1 last time (he, Dan, Honorio, and Nicolas) would participate this time round. Unfortunately his dream came true once again.

Still, knowing that those other 3 didn't participate this time, a #33 finish doesn't make me feel like crying.
...will keep us together.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 400x400]http://static.stereogum.com/uploads/201 ... 8x606.jpeg[/imgsize]
I told him, "Don't do it that way. You'll never make a dime."
30. LCD Soundsystem - Losing My Edge
Score: 1030 pts
Year of Release: 2002 (#9 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 10 (123 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 27
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 49

Fans: BleuPanda(2), DepecheMode(12), Nassim(8), Toni(6)
Not Fans: Dan(139), Henry(147), slick(98/100)

Rob: If I have to explain the appeal of this song to you, you are probably on the wrong forum.

[imgsize 533x400]http://www.whrb.org/application/files/t ... ashiwa.jpg[/imgsize]
29. Kashiwa Daisuke - Stella
Score: 1031.5 pts
Year of Release: 2007 (#4 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: Unranked
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 29

Fans: BangJan(13), Brad(14), DaveC(7), JamieW(2), Rob(6), sonofsamiam(4), whuntva(6)
Not Fans: andyd1010(148), Dan(144), Dexter(148), rumpdoll(140)

Rob: A masterpiece, which has become a forum favourite thanks to the overlooked songs poll. There is a lot to take in here of course and trying to capture it here in a few line seems impossible. Everything I can say seems trite in comparison to the scope and beauty of the piece. What I like is that it has the sacral feel of much classical music, while the electronic glitches guide it back to Earth. How intentional that is I don’t know, but I find it deeply moving.

StevieFan13: Pretty but too long. If you can say it in thirty-five minutes, you can say it in three minutes, is what I say. I know many might disagree, but I believe it. Still solid, though.

DaveC: No surprise that this is our highest ranked song that is unranked on AM. Interestingly quite divisive. Our next lowest songs with 7 fans are at #16 & #8, so the shortage of decent middling votes has really pulled this one down.

[imgsize 400x400]http://img.wennermedia.com/920-width/rs ... aabe10.jpg[/imgsize]
It's hard to make the good things last
28. The Flaming Lips - Do You Realize??
Score: 1031.5 pts
Year of Release: 2002 (#5 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 37 (344 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 63
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 45

Fans: BleuPanda(15), Brad(7), Dan(12), Neil(14)
Not Fans: Nassim(148), StevieFan13(142)

Rob: A sad song about remembering that everything comes to an end. Still, it sounds like a glorious piece of rock pop that would make the Beatles proud. It could have been pompous, but somehow it comes off as sincere and moving.

[imgsize 400x400]https://e.snmc.io/lk/f/l/3525a6973304da ... 820743.jpg[/imgsize]
It's holding on
27. Radiohead - The National Anthem
Score: 1034.2 pts
Year of Release: 2000 (#6 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 307 (2566 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 23

Fans: BangJan(1), sonofsamiam(9), whuntva(14)
Lowest rank: Neil(132)

Rob: Not the most famous track of Kid A, but it is my favourite. It is also really different from most that it is going on there. Here we have lyrics with hardly any meaning and a sound that is very much inspired by jazz. From this Radiohead make a song that sounds really unique. It has an elevating quality that’s rare in their work. That it somehow still fits well onto Kid A is the icing on the cake.

StevieFan13: It’s getting harder and harder to deny Kid A’s musical adventurousness. “The National Anthem” is actually magnificent, the first track from the album that really connected with me. Such masterful playing. The sonic insanity on display here can’t be matched.

[imgsize 466x400]http://images.eil.com/large_image/THE_S ... 199684.jpg[/imgsize]
Oh, people they don't understand
26. The Strokes - Last Nite
Score: 1034.4 pts
Year of Release: 2001 (#1 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 15 (149 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 24
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 16

Fans: Dexter(14), Listyguy(8)
Not Fans: bonnielaurel(142)

Rob: We continue with our game called Remember Which Strokes Song Is Which. Oh, this is the one that for completely random reasons is seen as the best one. I like this one the most too, if for no other reason that it is the one I listened to a more than the others. With a band like The Strokes you have to count your blessing wherever you can get them.

DaveC: Yes Rob. That is exactly how I feel about the Strokes and this song.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

For the record: I retract my statement. I like Gavin Bryars, for fucks sake, what was I talking about.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Are we going to have another "predict the top 20" game?
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Yeah, I agree with Rob and DaveC, for the most part. If you like Last Nite, then why aren't Hard to Explain and the others also in the same position? It's baffling that this one is so high compared to the others.

I've whittled my predicted winners down to one of 6 of the remaining 25. I'm kinda reluctant to do any predictions here, because of blowback in the past...

I am very happy with Stella's high placement. It is unfortunate that Steviefan feels the way he does, and it is probably a similar reason for the other low rankers.

There is one member of the top 25 that I find very unexpected. I wonder if anyone else feels the same. (It's the one I put at #114 on my list)

Edit: I have 9 out of my top 25 left.
Last edited by prosecutorgodot on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
phil
Unquestionable Presence

Post by phil »

Agree on 'Stella' - it's good to see that songs without much attention from critics can still rank well here. I've only actually heard it twice (it was one of the few of the top 150 I hadn't heard before doing the ranking). I suspect I would rank it higher once I've heard it a few more times. (I ranked it #53).

There's two songs to come that I'm very surprised have made it this high - the ones I ranked #122 and #77. I still have 1 'Not a Fan' song left - but I expected this one to do well.

Overall, I'm relatively happy with the remaining 25. Out of the top 25, I had 12 in my top 25.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Going by past AMF preferences, there are two in the top 25 that I think qualify as surprising - and they are not either of the two you are thinking of phil. Furthermore prosecutorgodot is a fan of both of the songs I find surprising, so I guess we all have different ideas about what is a surprise!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

prosecutorgodot wrote:Yeah, I agree with Rob and DaveC, for the most part. If you like Last Nite, then why aren't Hard to Explain and the others also in the same position? It's baffling that this one is so high compared to the others.
I'm a huge fan of Is This It, and I can tell you why I prefer "Last Nite" to every other song on the album. I find it to be the catchiest track on the album, and I personally don't think most of the songs sound that similar, but that's just me. And to be completely honest, "Hard to Explain" isn't one of my favorites by The Strokes. (I was going to say different Strokes for different folks, but I decided that would be too cheesy).
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

prosecutorgodot wrote: I am very happy with Stella's high placement. It is unfortunate that Steviefan feels the way he does, and it is probably a similar reason for the other low rankers.
I said I changed my mind!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

StevieFan13 wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote: I am very happy with Stella's high placement. It is unfortunate that Steviefan feels the way he does, and it is probably a similar reason for the other low rankers.
I said I changed my mind!
Oops, sorry if I missed that post.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Listyguy wrote:Also, "John Wayne Gacy Jr" took one hell of a tumble...I remember when it landed at 7 last time, it was quite an accomplishment (if I remember correctly, Henrik had a dream where Sufjan told him it would end up at #7 or in the top ten...)
Haha, fantastic that you remember this dream! I had almost forgotten it myself.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Listyguy wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:Yeah, I agree with Rob and DaveC, for the most part. If you like Last Nite, then why aren't Hard to Explain and the others also in the same position? It's baffling that this one is so high compared to the others.
I'm a huge fan of Is This It, and I can tell you why I prefer "Last Nite" to every other song on the album. I find it to be the catchiest track on the album, and I personally don't think most of the songs sound that similar, but that's just me. And to be completely honest, "Hard to Explain" isn't one of my favorites by The Strokes. (I was going to say different Strokes for different folks, but I decided that would be too cheesy).
Agreed on both counts. The Strokes are a band I find very enjoyable for very basic reasons (they real catchy tho)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Listyguy wrote:
Agreed on both counts. The Strokes are a band I find very enjoyable for very basic reasons (they real catchy tho)
Plus, certainly as I experienced them, that was their breakthrough song; so, as opposed to hearing a CD totally cold, that was like a spaceship landing on Earth and having its own theme song.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Live in Phoenix wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
Listyguy wrote:
Plus, certainly as I experienced them, that was their breakthrough song; so, as opposed to hearing a CD totally cold, that was like a spaceship landing on Earth and having its own theme song.
Since I'm the other biggest fan of "Last Nite" I feel like I have to say something, lol. I really like the feel and energy of the song and this was the song that introduced me to the band. Well, yeah the beat ("American Girl") and lyrics are not groundbreaking and they were probably overhyped along with the Hives and the Vines but so is most of the "it" music for the past 20 years that's why "new", "neo" or "revival" tags get casually tossed around. Also, I don't think their songs, particularly the first 2 albums, sound the same; maybe it's because of the conventional pop-music chord progressions despite the unique rhythms? I don't know, but I very much enjoyed the 'Is This It' album.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 400x400]http://imagescdn.junodownload.com/full/ ... 2A-BIG.jpg[/imgsize]
That boy needs therapy
25. The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist
Score: 1037.7 pts
Year of Release: 2000 (#3 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 150 (1393 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 11
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 52

Fans: Listyguy(10), Nassim(5), phil(8), Rob(7), Toni(9)
Not Fans: Henry(149), maverick470(105/109), StevieFan13(140)

Listyguy: As far as sampling goes, this is the cream of the crop. I love the absurdity of the lyrics of the samples: "And milk! Rectangles, to an optometrist, the man with the golden eyeball..."

Rob: One of the weirdest songs of this list is also one of the best. There are so many crazy details here that I don’t think this will ever get boring. You have to credits these guys for finding so many bizarre but captivating little moments in other songs and still making something consistent but equally bizarre out of it.

[imgsize 557x400]http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/ori ... b5d9e9.jpg[/imgsize]
I'm not here, This isn't happening
24. Radiohead - How to Disappear Completely
Score: 1043.7 pts
Year of Release: 2000 (#12 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 243 (2150 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 70

Fans: DepecheMode(2), JamieW(11), ProsecutorGodot(10), rumpdoll(2)
Not Fans: Henry(142), slick(94/100)

Rob: Whoever called Kid A an unemotional album (which it really isn’t), must have skipped this track, one of their most moving pieces. It really gets a lot out of the voice of Tom Yorke, who sends chills to the bone. This is a song for extremely lonely people and it sounds completely lost.

[imgsize 400x400]http://i.pinimg.com/736x/64/39/4b/64394 ... osters.jpg[/imgsize]
And Michael, you would fall and turn the white snow red as strawberries in the summertime
23. Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal
Score: 1048.7 pts
Year of Release: 2008 (#2 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 60 (510 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 19
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 24

Fans: Dan(7), DaveC(10), Neil(6), phil(4)
Lowest rank: Nassim(131)

Rob: This one is almost overly pretty, but that hides some rather devious lyrics that tell a rather dark tale of a kid that gets seriously wounded (and perhaps dies) in a silly way. So this potential Christmas tune becomes something else, just like that the traditional sounding arrangements feel fresh as Michael’s blood the in the snow.

[imgsize 400x400]http://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000122423 ... 00x500.jpg[/imgsize]
I apologize a trillion times
22. OutKast - Ms. Jackson
Score: 1072.1 pts
Year of Release: 2000 (#8 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 26 (265 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 45
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 13

Fans: Henry(15), JamieW(5), Nassim(12), ProsecutorGodot(15), rumpdoll(9)
Not Fans: phil(142)

Rob: Ms. Jackson is a little more straightforward than Hey Ya! and B.O.B. and so the playfulness of these tracks isn’t quite on display here. This is a more personal song and you can bet that these guys don’t half-ass such a thing. There is passion here and some of the best flow of words in the decade.

[imgsize 400x409]https://img.discogs.com/an1OfYW4gzV21Zn ... 6.jpeg.jpg[/imgsize]
Pleasantly caving in, I come undone
21. Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows
Score: 1073.5 pts
Year of Release: 2002 (#8 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 33 (315 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 66
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 27

Fans: BangJan(11), Nassim(13), whuntva(2)
Not Fans: DepecheMode(131/143)

Rob: Part of the appeal of Queens of the Stone Age is that they are really straight forward rockers. I mean, what else needs to be said about No One Knows other than that it rocks?

StevieFan13: Dave Grohl is the greatest drummer of all time, and one need only listen to “No One Knows” to know why. Technical but fucking LOUD, a master of both simple riffs and dizzying fills. He and Josh Homme make for a deadly combination, and the slinky toxic ooze of “No One Knows” makes it an irresistible listen

I will start a guess the top twenty thread shortly.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

It was "Frontier Psychiatrist" I was surprised about.

Anyways, hope all of you are having a great day <3
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

Although "White Winter Hymnal" is more unique, I consider "Mykonos" a better crafted song, maybe that's why WWH's placement has been one of my biggest surprises of this part. Also, such a straightforward rocker like "No One Knows" in this section was completely unexpected.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

For me one of the surprises was "How To Disappear Completely", it only made #12 in the 2000 year poll so it far outstripped that performance here, being #3 ranked for 2000 just a few months later. Furthermore, it has not previously been ranked above #70 for the 2000s by AMF. The other surprise was #91 last time (and only #128 for the 2000s in our 2015 all-time poll), but it's achievement of being #1 for it's year did hint that is has recently grown greatly in popularity here at AMF.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

DaveC wrote:For me one of the surprises was "How To Disappear Completely", it only made #12 in the 2000 year poll so it far outstripped that performance here, being #3 ranked for 2000 just a few months later. Furthermore, it has not previously been ranked above #70 for the 2000s by AMF. The other surprise was #91 last time (and only #128 for the 2000s in our 2015 all-time poll), but it's achievement of being #1 for it's year did hint that is has recently grown greatly in popularity here at AMF.
That last one's a giveaway. I know exactly which song you're talking about now.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Toni wrote:Although "White Winter Hymnal" is more unique, I consider "Mykonos" a better crafted song, maybe that's why WWH's placement has been one of my biggest surprises of this part. Also, such a straightforward rocker like "No One Knows" in this section was completely unexpected.
I should mention here that due to a small error, 'Myconos' ranking should have been #86 not #91. Nothing else changes except for those songs #90-#86 now slip 1 position.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 400x400]http://images.eil.com/large_image/RADIO ... 53459b.jpg[/imgsize]
There was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt
20. Radiohead - Pyramid Song
Score: 1078.2 pts
Year of Release: 2001 (#2 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 88 (767 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 40
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 17

Fans: BangJan(6), DepecheMode(5), phil(9), sonofsamiam(2)
Not Fans: maverick470(99/109)

Rob: It has jokingly been said that the most happy song by Radiohead, Pyramid Song, is about death. Maybe. In this one their usual sadness slowly makes way for an appreciation of the people near you. It is Radiohead, so this never gets sappy, but it is touching in a way that most of the band’s work isn’t.

StevieFan13: I’ll be damned if I know what Thom Yorke is saying on “Pyramid Song,” but I feel like I don’t need to. The arrangement and his voice make for an odd but beautiful experience.

[imgsize 400x400]https://streamd.hitparade.ch/cdimages/a ... ab_s_5.jpg[/imgsize]
I'm not gonna spend ten weeks
Have everyone think I'm on the mend
19. Amy Winehouse - Rehab
Score: 1079.7 pts
Year of Release: 2006 (#3 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 13 (142 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 60
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 57

Fans: Dan(4), Dexter(2)
Not Fans: Nassim(140)

Rob: Another one of those songs that has become downright iconic in the 11-12 years that have passed. Not only because it is was sadly prophetic for the way Winehouse’ live would go, but also because the lyrics and the delivery are so memorable. There is one extra achievement: it didn’t only bring old time R&B back to the mainstream, it did so on a modern way. No one in the fifties or sixties would have sung these lines. Honouring old music while updating it: that the way to go. Hopefully all these thousands of acts who are currently slavishly copying the eighties learn from this message sooner than later. Not my personal favourite from Back to Black, but a deserved classic nonetheless.

StevieFan13: One of my foundational music experiences was seeing Amy Winehouse perform “Rehab” on the Grammys in 2008 via satellite. I knew the song, but her performance pushed it to another level, and hers was the only win I remember from that night. Shit holds up. Great song, one of Mark Ronson’s best productions and one of Winehouse’s best vocals. Hard to listen to now, though.

[imgsize 400x400]http://www.soundstagedirect.com/media/p ... he_rip.jpg[/imgsize]
Will I follow?
18. Portishead - The Rip
Score: 1085.5 pts
Year of Release: 2008 (#4 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 97 (890 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 46
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 74

Fans: BangJan(9), Brad(2), DaveC(9), DepecheMode(10)
Lowest rank: ProsecutorGodot(127)

Rob: With The Rip the ultimate trip hop group (sorry Massive Attack) made something almost folky. And they seem to be good at it too. But after a while the old electronica gets back and the song becomes as hauntingly romantic as we are used too. A song that manages to sound old as time and strictly modern at the same time. It is something special (and I should give Third a listen already!).

[imgsize 400x400]http://www.coldplay.com/recordings/art_vivalavida.jpg[/imgsize]
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world
17. Coldplay - Viva la Vida
Score: 1085.9 pts
Year of Release: 2008 (#1 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 51 (448 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 128
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 91

Fans: Henry(12), ProsecutorGodot(4), Rob(10), Toni(11), whuntva(11)
Not Fans: DepecheMode(136/143), Nassim(146), rumpdoll(146)

Rob: If Clocks is the existential epic of Coldplay’s discography, Viva la Vida is the blockbuster epic. There was a time I couldn’t listen to it any more because it was overplayed (by me and by the world at large), but nowadays I can return to it again and hear what made me fall in love the first place. It’s nice to have a song about a fallen king outside of the metal genre for once and those synths sound like they can topple empires.

StevieFan13: As a dedicated Coldplay hater, I’m constantly frustrated by how much I respect “Viva la Vida,” the best song they ever put out - or, for that matter, will ever put out. And it’s more than just a better-than-average Coldplay song; I remember when this song was a major hit almost ten years ago and feeling the entire world come to a standstill as Chris Martin bellowed from the mountaintops. This wasn’t a song, it was an event. I had never heard anything so grand and beautiful before. It sounded huge, like it was being transmitted through a thousand amps at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. It’s been a long time since I’ve heard a song with such bigness, and Coldplay have never been able to match it, try though they might. “Viva la Vida” is perfect, start to finish, and it will never fail to piss me off that it is.

[imgsize 400x400]https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-00008365 ... 00x500.jpg[/imgsize]
Am I a part of the cure?
Or am I part of the disease?
16. Coldplay - Clocks
Score: 1100.2 pts
Year of Release: 2002 (#2 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 72 (640 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 39
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 37

Fans: andyd1010(9), bonnielaurel(6), Henry(7), phil(12), ProsecutorGodot(2), Rob(14), whuntva(1)
Not Fans: Brad(146)

Rob: One of those songs I already write extensively about in the 10.000 Songs series. This one of Coldplay’s best in my opinion. Not only does the existentialism actually work, but the piano is perhaps the band’s biggest achievement. A true epic from a decade that didn’t seem too interested in creating epics.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 533x400]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/pi3w6AWZTgw/hqdefault.jpg[/imgsize]
But sometimes, we remember our bedrooms
15. Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
Score: 1104.1 pts
Year of Release: 2004 (#5 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 143 (1313 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 20
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 10

Fans: andyd1010(3), DaveC(1), maverick470(5), phil(1), Toni(4)
Lowest rank: Neil(128)

andyd1010: To me, more than anything, the piano sets this song apart. The opening piano figure is my favorite in any song, and the chord progressions on the piano throughout the song are also incredibly moving.

Rob: The first Neighbourhood song and also the best. I like it’s sense of place and purpose. It feels as both one of the most expansive songs from Funeral, as well as a rare one of this group that does feel more intimate.

[imgsize 400x400]http://www.clashmusic.com/sites/default ... rtwork.jpg[/imgsize]
The worst is all the lovely weather
14. LCD Soundsystem - Someone Great
Score: 1116 pts
Year of Release: 2007 (#3 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 74 (670 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 17
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 12

Fans: BangJan(4), BleuPanda(9), DepecheMode(13), Henry(14)
Lowest rank: phil(128)

Rob: There aren’t too many songs about death that are ready for the dancefloor. The music is great, but above all I think of this as some of the best lyrics about loss. I love the detail in the descriptions. When he says something as specific like “You’re smaller than my wife imagined/ Surprised you were human” you know that there is some real story behind it.

[imgsize 400x400]http://t2.genius.com/unsafe/220x0/https ... 1000x1.png[/imgsize]
This may be the only opportunity that I got
13. Eminem - Lose Yourself
Score: 1117.8 pts
Year of Release: 2002 (#1 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 32 (300 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 21
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 53

Fans: andyd1010(7), Dan(14), DepecheMode(4), Dexter(1)
Not Fans: bonnielaurel(150)

Listyguy: I love this song, but I also love the endless "mom's spaghetti" parodies

Rob: Yes, lose yourself to the breath-taking flow and wordplay of Eminem. Few rappers can quite match him in actual rapping: his command of words is quite stunning and perhaps no other song of his feels so much as a tour de force as Lose Yourself. Fittingly it is about wanting to be a great rapper.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I know there's been a good amount of talk about Radiohead "dominating" these polls, but Arcade Fire places three songs higher than the top Radiohead song here...
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 400x428]http://pre00.deviantart.net/000b/th/pre ... 5zbrej.jpg[/imgsize]
But there is really nothing, nothing we can do
12. MGMT - Time to Pretend
Score: 1148.7 pts
Year of Release: 2007 (#5 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 11 (136 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 25
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 26

Fans: Dan(10), slick(4), StevieFan13(1), whuntva(15)
Not Fans: Henry(141)

Rob: Well this is just plain fun, isn’t it? Do I really need to say more? Even the fact that ABBA is sampled doesn’t hurt it for me (if only because I find it very hard to hear). There is a sweep here that is rare for a party song and the lyrics evoke a weird deadpan melancholia.

StevieFan13: One of the most breathtaking songs of the last twenty years. To have the insight to craft such a lovingly-written and produced ode to lost innocence deserves mad respect. This song took my breath away the moment I heard it the first time, and “Time to Pretend” has only risen in my esteem since then. A modern classic, perfect from beginning to end.

[imgsize 415x400]http://modern-vinyl.com/wp/wp-content/u ... .26-AM.png[/imgsize]
I made a lot of mistakes
11. Sufjan Stevens - Chicago
Score: 1230.7 pts
Year of Release: 2005 (#1 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 38 (357 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 9
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 19

Fans: BleuPanda(13), Henry(1), Listyguy(9), phil(5), rumpdoll(11)
Lowest rank: JamieW(114)

Rob: The magnum epos from Sufjan Stevens’ magnum epos. It evokes a lot: shared loneliness, city life, Chicago, New York, friendship, religion, maybe even unintentionally Christmas, thanks to that magnificent children’s chorus near the end. Only Sufjan Stevens can make a song that sounds so big, but also this intimate.

[imgsize 400x400]https://img.wennermedia.com/660-width/r ... c6ff4e.jpg[/imgsize]
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
10. Johnny Cash - Hurt
Score: 1243.4 pts
Year of Release: 2002 (#3 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 20 (203 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 10
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 20

Fans: Listyguy(1), Rob(5), slick(2), StevieFan13(4), whuntva(7)
Lowest rank: Dan(110)

Listyguy: I have rarely (if ever) heard a song that is so powerful. Cash put his entire being into "Hurt," crafting it into the masterpiece that it is.

Rob: One of the most depressing songs of all time. Of course the lyrics already belonged to Nine Inch Nails and they were never happy, but stripped from the industrial sounds and sung in a clear and weary voice they become even more painful. This can be read as Cash’s goodbye to life and it isn’t a happy farewell. I can’t always listen to this because it hits too hard, but when I do I recognize it is one of the great songs of all time.

StevieFan13: It takes a lot for a song to make me cry, but the resigned solemnity of “Hurt” has never failed to make me weep like a baby. It outpaces the original by leaps and bounds. Not much to say about it that hasn’t already been said.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

No top ten for my second-favorite song of all time, but at least I helped push it high,
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

It's funny to see myself as the lowest rank for "Chicago," a song I give a solid 7 out of 10 and is in my top 200 for 2005. It speaks to the overall high quality of the songs on this list.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 405x400]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ong%29.jpg[/imgsize]
We’re just a million little gods causin' rain storms,
9. Arcade Fire - Wake Up
Score: 1259.6 pts
Year of Release: 2004 (#4 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 34 (322 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 7
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 14

Fans: andyd1010(2), DaveC(12), Dexter(10), JamieW(1), maverick470(10), Nassim(1)
Lowest rank: Neil(129)

Rob: Wake Up seems a bit like the band making a statement: this is who we are, this is our sounds and above all: these are our themes (mostly, the fears of people who’ve grown up in the middle class). For better or worse, it sometimes feels to me like most of Arcade Fire’s other songs seem to want to reinvent Wake Up. It is still one of their best songs if you ask me. Not their most epic song on paper, but it has the most grand feel of all and Arcade Fire is one of those bands which is most effective if they are least subtle, because at heart they are a big statement group masquerading as intimate indie kids (a bit like U2 now I think of it).

[imgsize 400x408]http://images.45cat.com/franz-ferdinand ... domino.jpg[/imgsize]
I know I won't be leaving here with you
8. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
Score: 1279.2 pts
Year of Release: 2004 (#1 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 5 (58 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 12
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 11

Fans: BleuPanda(4), Dexter(9), Henry(4), JamieW(6), maverick470(7), Rob(8), StevieFan13(7)
Lowest rank: sonofsamiam(122)

Rob: This song for me captures dance rock more than any other. This thing moves, jumps, rocks and rolls like the most ecstatic and possessed dancer you ever saw. A simple song in nature, but nobody else seemed to be able to make it. Not even Franz Ferdinand after this (although they’ve come close). Perhaps dance rock never became an official genre, because this invented and perfected it at the same time?

StevieFan13: I remember playing this song for my sister and watching her jaw drop when the time signature changed on the chorus. That drop-kick into an entirely new song is a musical punch in the gut that can’t be overstated. What a wonderful song.

[imgsize 400x400]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... single.jpg[/imgsize]
But every time you close your eyes, lies!
7. Arcade Fire - Rebellion (Lies)
Score: 1286.7 pts
Year of Release: 2004 (#2 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 23 (218 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 8
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 8

Fans: andyd1010(1), Brad(11), Dan(8), DaveC(13), Listyguy(13), maverick470(1), phil(7), rumpdoll(14), Toni(1)
Lowest rank: Nassim(134)

andyd1010: This song is perfectly constructed. Everything - from the bass, to the piano, to the percussion and the stunning violin motif - comes in seamlessly and makes for an incredibly beautiful, powerful song unlike any other.

Rob: The most famous Arcade Fire until Everything Now suddenly gave them a mainstream hit. This one seems readymade for concerts, with its chanting nature. It has never been a particular favourite of mine. Too repetitive for my tastes. I do enjoy it, though.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 400x400]http://media.medialoper.com/wp-content/ ... riends.jpg[/imgsize]
We set controls for the heart of the sun
One of the ways we show our age
6. LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends
Score: 1302.3 pts
Year of Release: 2007 (#2 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 9 (101 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 1
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 2

Fans: BleuPanda(1), DaveC(8), Listyguy(6), Nassim(2), rumpdoll(1), StevieFan13(14), whuntva(9)
Lowest rank: Dan(121)

Listyguy: I am always left at a loss of what to say about "All My Friends." It's amazing. The buildup in the instruments as the song progresses, combined with a persistent piano line, is really, well, amazing.

Rob: Perhaps it is a surprise to some that I rank this one lowest of the four LCD Soundsystem songs on this list, as it seems to be the favourite of most people here. In fact I do like it, especially thanks to the detailed, everyday lyrics so rare for this genre and the propulsive sound. But it is also a little too repetitive and long to make it a song I like to play too much. With this length I usually want more variety.

[imgsize 400x400]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... tHeyYa.jpg[/imgsize]
Now all Beyoncé's and Lucy Liu's
And baby dolls, get on the floor
5. OutKast - Hey Ya!
Score: 1353.2 pts
Year of Release: 2003 (#1 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 1 (31 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 2
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 1

Fans: andyd1010(10), BleuPanda(7), Dan(5), DaveC(11), Dexter(8), StevieFan13(10), Toni(13), whuntva(12)
Not Fans: DepecheMode(134/143)

Rob: One of the wackiest hip hop tracks of the decade and rightfully one of the most popular. Full of memorable lines (or catchphrases), delivered by an on-fire and deliciously, dishevelled sounding André 3000 this is fun incarnate. It makes me really miss Outkast, perhaps the most playful of all hiphop groups (bar perhaps Beastie Boys).

StevieFan13: If anyone tells you they don’t like “Hey Ya!,” they are lying. It’s scientifically impossible. Everyone likes this song. Doesn’t matter how many times you’ve heard it, it’s absolutely magnificent. Andre 3000’s loopy genius finally finds its happy medium between artsy, introspective funk and an all-time dance floor-filler. And I venture that there hasn’t been a more quotable song since, save for maybe “Uptown Funk.” I’m just being honest.

[imgsize 627x400]http://img.nowness.com/nowness-frontend ... .21.19.jpg[/imgsize]
All the words are gonna bleed from me, And I will think no more
4. The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
Score: 1364.4 pts
Year of Release: 2003 (#2 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 3 (39 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 3
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 9

Fans: andyd1010(5), BleuPanda(6), Dexter(5), Listyguy(15), maverick470(9), phil(15), whuntva(3)
Lowest rank: DepecheMode(114/143)

Rob: The most famous bass line of the decade isn’t a bass line at all, but a guitar chord, innovatively played by Jack White. If this was originally designed as a showcase of White’s guitar skills, it ended up being their most atmospheric song. It has a majestic stomp to it. A lot of White Stripes songs have that, but this one is the most majestic.

StevieFan13: The ‘00s school of back-to-basics rock came to a head with “Seven Nation Army,” the first alt-rock track to transform into the mother of all jock jams. It wouldn’t feel out of place sandwiched between “We Will Rock You” or “Paradise City” at a football game, which you can’t say about many alt-rock songs. But such is its power and ubiquity in the fifteen years since it came out. The riff, man. The riff is eternal.
Last edited by DaveC on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

What's up with the "Hey Ya!" quote? That isn't from the song.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

StevieFan13 wrote:What's up with the "Hey Ya!" quote? That isn't from the song.
OH! Corrected now. Sorry about that. I deliberately went for some obscure lines from some songs, but not being in the song is going a bit far.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

[imgsize 400x400]http://backinthedaybuffet.com/wp-conten ... buffet.jpg[/imgsize]
I'm a microphone fiend tryin' to stay alive
3. OutKast - B.O.B.
Score: 1365.9 pts
Year of Release: 2000 (#1 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 48 (441 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 4
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 4

Fans: BangJan(14), Dan(3), Listyguy(5), Nassim(3), Rob(13), rumpdoll(5), slick(7), sonofsamiam(1), StevieFan13(5)
Lowest rank: DaveC(132)

Listyguy: A high energy, fast paced rap classic. What's not to love?

Rob: Many times B.O.B. seems to be overlooked in favour of Hey Ya! and Ms. Jackson. Both great songs, don’t get me wrong, but it feels sometimes as if B.O.B. is slowly being forgotten. I’m glad that Acclaimed Music Forums still keeps the torch high for this piece of sheer originality. André 3000’s delivery remains a highlight in hip-hop for me and here he is really on form. The extended finale is an experience on itself.

StevieFan13: "Hey Ya!” was the best example of OutKast as a vehicle for each member’s own nutty idiosyncrasies, but they never felt more in-sync than on “B.O.B.” I know it’s great, you know it’s great, it should’ve been the first song to break them big.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

The top two songs are amazing. Easily the two songs I can say are "objectively" the best that came out that decade.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

I really didn't mean to keep you on tenterhooks this long.

Neither of our top 2 songs have a #1 vote, but they do have few low votes and our #1 has the highest 'Lowest rank' of any song on the list.

[imgsize 461x400]http://www.lololyrics.com/img/cover/6847.jpeg[/imgsize]
We pack and deliver like UPS trucks
2. M.I.A. - Paper Planes
Score: 1401 pts
Year of Release: 2007 (#1 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 2 (35 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 5
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 6

Fans: andyd1010(11), maverick470(3), ProsecutorGodot(8), Rob(3), rumpdoll(3), StevieFan13(9), Toni(3)
Lowest rank: Nassim(120)

Rob: Perhaps one of the most unexpected hits of the decade, from one of the most unlikely artists. I just love the glee of this song: the way it gives power to unwanted immigrants, while openly dissing xenophobia with children chants, gun shots and Clash samples. It’s a short song, but it is still the ultimate epic for people who are sometimes deemed unwanted.

StevieFan13: I can’t think of many ‘00s pop hits that were this weird. Even more oddball pop juggernauts like “Rehab” and “Get Ur Freak On” had hooks for days - this song’s hook is a series of gunshots and cash register noises. But the struggle of immigrants has never been as powerful - or, terrible as it may sound, as catchy - as on M.I.A.’s magnum opus.

[imgsize 400x400]http://ring.cdandlp.com/french-connecti ... 130641.jpg[/imgsize]
You really think you're in control?
1. Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
Score: 1453 pts
Year of Release: 2006 (#1 in year poll)
AM 2000s songs rank: 6 (60 all-time)
AMF 2015 All-time poll 2000s rank: 6
AMF 2011 2000s poll rank: 3

Fans: andyd1010(8), Dan(2), Dexter(11), Henry(6), Listyguy(2), ProsecutorGodot(5), StevieFan13(11), whuntva(5)
Lowest rank: Brad(96)

Listyguy: The mood created by Danger Mouse on this track really elevates it to the next level. And of course, Cee-Lo's soaring vocals are also excellent.

Rob: Ah yes, Crazy, the song that for a short time seemed to be the critics’ (or at least Rolling Stone Magazine’s) favourite song of the new millennium. And you know, why not? This has everything: it is catchy, accessible, memorable, but also really original, with its Ennio Morricone inspired music. I like the lyrics too, as well as the way Cee Lo Green seems to be amused with singing them.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

And we're d'accord with Rolling Stone! Hard to argue.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Never thought "Crazy" would win the songs poll! This is awesome! As Rob mentioned, for a few years it was the top song of the 00's on AM.net, before slowly falling out of favor and being replaced with the like of "Paper Planes."

But the no #1 votes piece is also impressive. 2 #2 votes and 2 #5 votes and somehow winning the poll is pretty good in my book.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”