Jan 8, 2018 - Album of the Week - Wynonie Harris - All The Best

Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Jan 8, 2018 - Album of the Week - Wynonie Harris - All The Best

Post by Hymie »

The fact that Wynonie Harris is still not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is one of the biggest mysteries of all time. Not only is his 1948 classic "Good Rockin' Tonight" the record most qualified to be called the "First Rock And Roll Record," but everything about him screams the first rock and roll star. He drank like a fish, smoked like a chimney, got more pussy than Sinatra, partied all night, and rocked the house from sea to shining sea wherever he was performing that night.

Wynonie and Roy Brown are the two of the most significant early influences to rock and roll, yet neither one has been inducted in Cleveland. Both were rocking like shit in the late 40s and early 50s, and each one was a direct influence on acts like Little Richard, James Brown and Elvis Presley.

And he was no one record act either. Between 1945 and 1952 he had 16 top ten chart hits on the R&B chart, including 3 that got to number one. His first monster hit came all the way back in 1945 as he was the vocalist on the Lucky Millinder hit "Who Threw The Whiskey In The Well." This was a monster hit from the spring of 1945 all the way through December of the year, spending 20 weeks on the R&B top 10 including eight weeks at number one. That track closes the 15 song collection.

TRACK LISTING
01- Sittin' On It All The Time
02- All She Wants To Do Is Rock
03- Good Rockin' Tonight
04- I Feel That Old Age Coming On
05- Lovin' Machine
06- Playful Baby
07- Wynonie's Blues
08- Drinkin' Wine Spo Dee O Dee
09- Good Morning Judge
10- Grandma Plays The Numbers
11- I Like My Baby's Pudding
12- I Want My Fanny Brown
13- Lollipop Mama
14- Oh Babe
15- Who Threw The Whiskey In the Well

Give this album a spin on the youtube link below and see what you think.

spiritualized
Full of Fire

Re: Jan 8, 2018 - Album of the Week - Wynonie Harris - All The Best

Post by spiritualized »

Sorry, are we starting a new round of AoW ?

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”