"Good Kid, M.A.A.D City"

Nick
Running Up That Hill

"Good Kid, M.A.A.D City"

Post by Nick »

I figured there would be some discussion on this album on the forum, but in the asbence of discussion I figured I'd try to start some. As you may or may not know, "Good Kid, M.A.A.D City" is an album by hip-hop artist Kendrick Lamar that came out a couple days ago. It's recieved rave reviews, including an XXL from XXL, a 9.5/10 from Pitchfork, and a current Metacritic score of 91/100. Point is- this album is going to be on a lot of EOY lists from some major publications. I listened to it the day it was released and I have to say- it's really good. It skillfully blends West Coast style hip-hop with an alternetive feel with Lamar's immense storytelling prowess. But for all the good things I have to say about it, I do think it's getting a bit overrated in the music criticism community. It's a very good album, but I just can't see it warranting all of the accolades that it's getting. Has any else here heard it yet? And if so, is it worth all the hype that it's getting?
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: "Good Kid, M.A.A.D City"

Post by Stephan »

I listened to it yesterday and I've gotta agree with you; good but not fantastic. I have a feeling it might be a grower though.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

After one listen, I agree it may be a grower but I think the Illmatic comparisons are overblown. The style of production here seems like one that will not age as well as Illmatic's, and I don't see this becoming a hip-hop classic (or even Lamar's best album). It's not as good as MBDTF among the mainstream modern hip-hop classics--I'd put it more in line with Big Boi's solo album.
Chris K.
Let's Get It On

Post by Chris K. »

Jackson wrote:After one listen, I agree it may be a grower but I think the Illmatic comparisons are overblown. The style of production here seems like one that will not age as well as Illmatic's, and I don't see this becoming a hip-hop classic (or even Lamar's best album). It's not as good as MBDTF among the mainstream modern hip-hop classics--I'd put it more in line with Big Boi's solo album.
That's what I initially thought on first listen, after several listens it's revealed itself to be one of the most complex, satisfying hip-hop albums I've ever heard. I would take it over MBDTF or Illmatic (maybe I'm a little too excited about it to make that call just yet, but that's how I feel about it right now anyway).
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

Just listened to this album for the first time and I liked it. I obviously don’t know shit about American gangsta culture, but it’s impressive how the fairly young Kendrick Lamar simultaneously embraces and criticizes gangsta rap, throwing it on its head and pointing out that the themes of bitches, guns and cars are still relevant but have a different meaning in the social context of 2012.

Having said that, I don’t believe all of the hype just yet.
...will keep us together.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Jackson wrote:After one listen, I agree it may be a grower but I think the Illmatic comparisons are overblown. The style of production here seems like one that will not age as well as Illmatic's, and I don't see this becoming a hip-hop classic (or even Lamar's best album). It's not as good as MBDTF among the mainstream modern hip-hop classics--I'd put it more in line with Big Boi's solo album.
After a few more listens, I'm beginning to turn the corner on this opinion. I still wish the album were a little shorter, but I'm beginning to dig the production style and Lamar's performance. It didn't sound like I expected it to at first, but it's sunk in now and should make T20 in my end of year list. "Sing About Me..." is still my favorite song on here, right above "Real" and "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe."
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

Jackson wrote:
After a few more listens, I'm beginning to turn the corner on this opinion. I still wish the album were a little shorter, but I'm beginning to dig the production style and Lamar's performance. It didn't sound like I expected it to at first, but it's sunk in now and should make T20 in my end of year list. "Sing About Me..." is still my favorite song on here, right above "Real" and "Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe."
When you say you wish it were shorter, on what basis do you mean? It's important to remember that the album proper is technically just the first 12 tracks. For any album, deluxe bonus tracks should not figure into the judging. To me, ending at 12 songs with "Compton" makes the album a perfect length for me. Long enough to feel epic and cinematic, like Kendrick was going for, but not overstaying its welcome.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

irreduciblekoan wrote:
Jackson wrote:
When you say you wish it were shorter, on what basis do you mean? It's important to remember that the album proper is technically just the first 12 tracks. For any album, deluxe bonus tracks should not figure into the judging. To me, ending at 12 songs with "Compton" makes the album a perfect length for me. Long enough to feel epic and cinematic, like Kendrick was going for, but not overstaying its welcome.
Yeah, I had been listening to the version with bonus tracks. It's definitely still not a compact album, but from just listening to the first 12 tracks I'll withdraw the 'too long' complaint.

I wonder what songs from this album will make critics' lists when those start coming out? "Swimming Pools" is the most popular song from here I think, but it's not even close to the best. I have a feeling this will fall victim to a lot of vote splitting.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”