Top AM albums and songs by gender and artist/band

Henrik
Site Admin

Top AM albums and songs by gender and artist/band

Post by Henrik »

It was suggested in this topic that AM should have lists separated by gender. Here are early draft lists of the top AM albums and songs, divided by gender and also if it's a solo artist or a band.

Top Albums by Female Solo Artists
Top Albums by Female (Primary Vocal) Bands
Top Albums by Male Solo Artists
Top Albums by Male (Primary Vocal) Bands

Top Songs by Female Solo Artists
Top Songs by Female (Primary Vocal) Bands
Top Songs by Male Solo Artists
Top Songs by Male (Primary Vocal) Bands

In general, do you like these categories? What about the titles?

So far, I have just listed the info "as it is" in my spreadsheets. I have identified a few problems, I'm sure there's even more.

I have gender info on album/song level and artist/band info on artist level. I have included both the "artist page" name and the full artist information. Usually, I think the artist page name is appropriate here, but for songs the artist page is not always for the vocalist. Examples:
Calvin Harris feat. Rihanna => Calvin Harris is listed as the "Artist" and not Rihanna.
Röyksopp feat. Karin Dreijer => Since the "Artist", Röyksopp, is a band, and the song is defined as with female vocals, it is presented in the female bands list...!

It would be nice to create a special artist variable for this purpose, but it would be quite a lot of work.

Duets have usually been coded as female songs. Same with albums that have a 50/50 split between female and male vocals. These should perhaps be included in both the female and male lists, but again it would be a lot of work to go through this.

Some artist pages are merges between an artist and a band (for example Janis Joplin/Big Brother and The Holding Company and ANOHNI/Antony and The Johnsons). Probably Big Brother and The Holding Company and Antony and The Johnsons should be listed in the bands lists instead. This should not be too much work.

Since the gender info has never been used on the website before, it's probably full of errors...!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Henrik
Site Admin

Re: Top AM albums and songs by gender and artist/band

Post by Henrik »

On mobiles the left menu is shown instead of the lists, when you click the links. I will fix this tomorrow evening.
Petri
Feeling Good

Post by Petri »

Thanks again Henrik! Looks great!
Although I had realised that male solo artists and primary vocal bands dominate the album list it was still shocking to see that only 12,6 % of the albums can be counted as albums by female solo artists or female primary vocal bands.

Female solo artists 251/3000
Female (Primary Vocal) Bands 127/3000
Male solo artists 1102/3000
Male (Primary Vocal) Bands 1501/3000
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Petri wrote:Thanks again Henrik! Looks great!
Although I had realised that male solo artists and primary vocal bands dominate the album list it was still shocking to see that only 12,6 % of the albums can be counted as albums by female solo artists or female primary vocal bands.

Female solo artists 251/3000
Female (Primary Vocal) Bands 127/3000
Male solo artists 1102/3000
Male (Primary Vocal) Bands 1501/3000
Yes. Sigh. And this is even though duets are counted as female.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

It looks neat, Henrik, thanks!

I think nobody will ever reach a final agreement on the matter of male-female duets albums. For instance, taking the top 10 of the "Top Albums by Female (Primary Vocal) Bands", I see Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow, even though I believe Grace Slick doesn't have that much lead vocals on it, but not My Bloody Valentine's Loveless although I believe Bilinda Butcher's contributions were much more important. As you said though, the data is perhaps incomplete/faulty.

I see two ways of definitely settling this issue: either you create a thread/spreadsheet in which you ask for help from people for them to identify the amount of female and male lead tracks on albums on a case-by-case basis for acts who are known for having mixed fronting, like Fleetwood Mac, My Bloody Valentine, Sonic Youth, Jefferson Airplane, etc.

Or you just create a third category for acts with mixed fronting. Either way, that's probably some amount of work... :|

Or you go with gut feeling. Not necessarily the worst solution :D
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Cool

AFI's "Girls Not Grey" has primary female vocals?
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I could provide a spreadsheet of the current gender and artist/band info, but would anyone be interested in doing the work mentioned in the first post?

There has been a few comments, but I thought these lists would generate more discussion, tbh.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Nice job, Henrik!

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”