Overlooked Songs 2: Round 1 Week 1

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: Overlooked Songs 2: Round 1 Week 1

Post by BleuPanda »

We're at 29 votes this week! Good to see this has maintained the same level of interest from last year.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Also, I wanted to add my own two cents on the inclusion of Neighborhood #1. I do agree that it feels odd seeing it here; while I'm sure Haim might not have much strength here (maybe the band will click with more of us eventually), I never expected to see a song so thoroughly dominate any opponent in this section of the bracket. I would definitely argue that Neighborhood #1 is suffering from the same issues as the tracks off Joy Division's Closer; if people are going to pick a song to represent Arcade Fire off Funeral, there are two songs that stand apart from the rest, even if more could easily be just as acclaimed. Neighborhood #1 doesn't feel overlooked as much as overshadowed.

At the same time, I intentionally got rid of the "no songs from our previous forum top 1000" rule so that we could revisit those favorites that are critically overlooked for the purpose of that upcoming poll. Neighborhood #1 did, however, rank all the way in the top 200 in our 2015 poll; it's beloved on this forum. It isn't much of a discovery; but I don't think the 1001-2000 range will be much of a discovery section for most of us anyway. Yet, having it here can be a litmus test to see just how strong some of our discoveries are. Everything in the last tournament was untested; if something actually manages to upset Neighborhood #1, it will say a lot about that new song. It's nice to have some songs as reference points.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

^^^ Good points. "Neighborhood #1" is favored to win. I'll root for the underdogs.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Despite all this I expect Nina Simone's Sinnerman to win. It is also a forum favorite that did well in the AM song poll, the sixties poll and already won an early edition of Unacclaimed, yet despite this it still feels like a overlooked song by an underappreciated artist. Heck, I'm going to support it for many rounds if I can. But perhaps I jinx it by mentioning this.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Rob wrote:Despite all this I expect Nina Simone's Sinnerman to win. It is also a forum favorite that did well in the AM song poll, the sixties poll and already won an early edition of Unacclaimed, yet despite this it still feels like a overlooked song by an underappreciated artist. Heck, I'm going to support it for many rounds if I can. But perhaps I jinx it by mentioning this.
It’s my nomination, so I should hope so.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Neil Young - Cowgirl in the Sand

Wham! - Careless Whisper

They Might Be Giants - Birdhouse in Your Soul

The Shangri-Las - Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)

Tenor Saw - Ring the Alarm

HAIM - The Wire

Tori Amos - Cornflake Girl

Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

With acroamor's vote right before the deadline, we reached 30 total voters this week!

Cowgirl in the Sand: 17
Barracuda: 10

Careless Whisper: 17
Nuages: 12

Hallogallo: 15
Birdhouse in Your Soul: 14

Remember (Walkin' in the Sand): 11
Baby's On Fire: 18

This is Hardcore: 18
Ring the Alarm: 9

The Wire: 11
Stuck in the Middle With You: 16

Typical Girls: 9
Cornflake Girl: 17

Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels): 23
Falling: 4
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Fuck me, lost by one point. Oh well, a worthy song to lose to.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”