November 20, 2017 - Album of the Week - Javiera Mena - Mena

Moonbeam
Full of Fire

November 20, 2017 - Album of the Week - Javiera Mena - Mena

Post by Moonbeam »

In 5th grade, my teacher put a few Spanish words on the blackbord for us to learn, and I immediately became obsessed with the idea of learning another language, diving headfirst into a Spanish-English dictionary we had at home and coming to class the next Monday with a gramatically-incorrect statement of "Mi favorito color es amarillo". When the opportunity to take a foreign language class finally came in 7th grade, I signed up for Spanish, taking it every year through high school, and choosing Spanish as a co-major in university, culminating in a semester abroad in Mexico. Throughout that time, I fell in love with the Spanish language and the various Spanish-speaking cultures we learned about in the process. Despite this, one thing I hadn’t managed to find was any Spanish language music that I loved. Through exposure to non-English music largely from this forum, I came to have an ear for songs in which I didn’t understand the lyrics, particularly in our World Cup games and the Unacclaimed tournaments. I even fell hardcore for certain artists like Vive la Fête and especially Mylène Farmer, but I still had not found a Spanish-speaking album to love.

Fast-forward to May this year, and that changed with this little electropop album by an indie Chilean artist, clocking in at 35 glorious minutes and prompting a “HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!” comment on the album’s page on RateYourMusic. At long last, I found a Spanish-speaking album that I could not only enjoy, but fall for head over heels.

Her debut album Esquemas juveniles is an intriguing mishmash of electropop sheen and almost singer-songwriter piano-helmed songs in the vein of Carole King in which Javiera’s time as a student of music composition is evident. On Mena, she brings the synths to the forefront while penning an even stronger set of melodies, resulting in a whirlwind bonanza of serotonin.

The album opens with the relatively low-key “Ahondar en tí”, which moves along to swaying piano chords, gradually building to a lovely finish as Javiera’s voice rises higher and higher. Structurally, the song serves to whet the appetite for what is to come, an appropriate purpose for a song whose title translates to “Delve into you”.

Next up is a blitz of 3 sugar-packed electropop gems, starting with “Hasta la verdad”, whose lead synth line will make electropop fans CHEER, one of many jaw-dropping synth moments the album has in store. As great this synth line is on its own, the sustained synth that sits more quietly in the background amplifies it well. As the song progresses to the chorus, the synth line dazzles upward through the treble clef in a moment of pure magic, ultimately joined by some visceral, dramatic strings as the song closes. Whew!

The following song, “Primera estrella”, starts off in spritely manner but shifts gears for the verse with an edgy, cool club-ready pulse. Before long, however, it gives way to a chorus that absolutely the delights the 8-year-old girl in me jumping on my bed and singing into a hairbrush, complemented by synths that sparkle with glittery jubilation as appropriate for a song celebrating the first star seen at night. That may sound like an awkward transition, but somehow, it works. Yet another magical moment comes during the song’s middle 8, as the synths coalesce into starry wonder.

Unlike its predecessors which built up to their feverish rushes, “El amanecer” bounds out of the gate in danceable glory: pure giddiness sustained as synths bounce off the walls like a cascade of smiley emojis.

After the onslaught of fun that was the previous three tracks, the 5th track and centrepiece of the album, “No te cuesta nada”, slows things down. Plaintive piano chords and an almost hushed vocal delivery lull us in with their soft-spoken beauty. Then, the beats that enter during the second verse open up the song to such a HUGE expanse: yep, we are getting a POWER BALLAD. There is just so much SPACE in this song. The chorus comes in with growingly empassioned refrains that “it costs you nothing” and then… AND THEN! Perhaps the loveliest exercise in vocal harmonies I have EVER HEARD opens the following verse, making that huge world open up even more before another chorus tears through my heart. With my heart thumping through my chest, she takes it even higher with another spellbinding set of chill-inducing, this-time wordless harmonies that translate to disarmed beauty in any language. It is moments like these that warrant that “HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!” comment: a power ballad on a 2010s Chilean album in a genre that typically struggles to produce ballads that measure up to the bangers, and it’s basically the power ballad to end all power ballads.

As amazing as “No te cuesta nada” is, it might actually be topped by the following song, the glorious “Luz de piedra de luna”, in which Javiera extolls the virtues of dancing together as a remedy for crippling doubts about a relationship. Once again a feast of synthesizers, the lead synth that opens the song bristles with urgency while the synth bass heads straight for the hips. Just below the surface, a sustained synth line adds a beguiling mystery to the affair that serves to accentuate the doubts Javiera sings about. And then, charging through the speakers comes a chorus meant to be shouted from nightclubs and rooftops alike, complete with 90s house piano and crazy drum fills: I DEFY you to not feel compelled to bellow along as she stretches out that last “contigo-ooooo”! As if that is not enough, Javiera treats us to more goosebump-inducing harmonizing, making this dancefloor-as-panacea anthem that much more emotive. I reiterate: HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

Up next, “Sufrir” is a danceable duet between Javiera and Swedish indiepop darling Jens Lekman, whose subtle vocals offer a well-suited complement. I love the way that synths percolate into a fiery cauldron after Lekman’s dialogue.

The penultimate song, “Acá entera” is another big highlight. The syncopation of the beats is sheer joy, and the song yet again is packed with synth delights, notably the high-pitched shooting star that flashes right before the opening vocals and the brassy synths that shine during the middle 8. There is just something in the chord progression that tugs at my heartstrings as well.

After such highs, Javiera closes the album in more subdued fashion, but she manages to surprise yet again. “Un audífono tú, un audífono yo”, a song celebrating the intimacy of listening to a song with someone through shared headphones, washes through its first percussionless minute with grace and delicateness. And then, during the second verse, the beats that come in harken back to late 80s QUIET STORM, of all things!

On Mena, Javiera delivers one of the most thrilling electropop albums I’ve ever heard, referencing various sonic touchstones with colorful aplomb. And while I’ve predominantly focused on the sound of the album thus far, I would be remiss to not emphasize just how well-written these songs are. The melodies have both immediate payoff and enduring quality. The songs are sequenced in such a way to give their strengths room to shine. And at just over 35 minutes, the album has great replay value, never overstaying its welcome.

Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Re: November 20, 2017 - Album of the Week - Javiera Mena - Mena

Post by Hymie »

For those like me who do not use spotify.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

I am currently listening to the album. it's good that the synthesizers are not overbearing. The first 3 songs are okay. I don't want to turn them off like I did with most of the tracks on last week's album :-), but they are not evoking much of a positive emotion from me either. They are very innocuous so far.

The first 2 tracks would have been better with some background vocal harmony IMO. The fact that I can't understand the words is not a negative to me at all. I have no interest in lyrics other than sonically. What the lyrics are saying is not a concern to me at all.

The track that is now playing seems to open with a real piano rather than a synthesizer.

I seem to hear a strong Madonna influence on this album.

Okay, done. All in all it gets a 4, which stands for "okay" on my scale.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

As was the case last week, Moonbeam has (quite predictably) given us a dance album to share. Unlike last week, "Mena" is a brisk and quite easily listenable 35 minutes and might even seem low key on the dance floor. Unlike Moonbeam, it's neither the beats or the synths that I find compelling here but Javiera Mena's voice. I sampled her other albums and I quite like her singer songwriter material as well.

As for the music, Moonbeam has not left many stones unturned ;). I agree that the middle of the album, "No te cuesta nada" and "Luz de piedra de luna", represent the high points, along with the final track. While I am categorically unable to get in touch with my eight year old girl singing into a hairbrush, and have substantially weaker Spanish language credentials than Moonbeam, I also find the lyricism of "Mena" compelling and I find her diction and clarity a big factor in being able to follow along.

So that's three solid albums in a row, and the first which I knew not at all. It's rather distressing that we have fewer forumers discussing the selection each week than we had nominators. I'd love to have one of our Latin American friends join us this week: Panam, Bruno? Thanks for keeping us going, Moonbeam!
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Like most people I had never heard of her. There seems to be a kind of eighties synthpop revival. It reminded me of singers like Kim Wilde etc. Except for the Spanish language I don't hear much Latin influence. Her light, floating voice goes well together with the electronic sounds. Tracks 2, 5 and 6 are my favorites.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

OK, let me get this straight - this is not my style at all. From the day I started listening to "Les Inrockuptibles" on Europe 1 with Bernard Lenoir, I steered away from the "commercial" pop music which the masses seemed to enjoy greatly. Javiera Mena seems summoned these demons from the 80s back to life.
However, it''s not as bad as I expected. I don't relate to most of the songs - particularly the mid-tempo ones, the less "danceable" ones. There is however one exception, the fantastic Luz de Piedra Luna. Upbeat, great to dance to, definitely the highlight there. Sadly, the rest was meh at best. The best I can give this album is a 4/10, because this is not my cup of tea and it didn't wow me. The Spanish language did not sway me at all, it's a rather engaging tongue to listen to.
Moonbeam, I understand with this record your love for Mylène Farmer - there are similarities in both artists, although Javiera has a more updated sound, more dance-oriented.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I’m actually surprised I didn’t connect more with Javiera Mena, since I have a soft spot for electropop, and I’ve liked pretty much everything Moonbeam’s ever recommended. (We share many of the same favorites with The Cure, New Order and, of course, Prince - I also really enjoy the aforementioned Mylène Farmer.)

The first half of the album was pleasant, but for me didn’t differentiate itself much from other albums of the genre. Fortunately, I really liked the second half, especially “Luz de Piedra de Luna” – those keyboards truly are exquisite! Since this is a genre that I’m typically fond of, I plan on listening to this again soon. I worry I might’ve set my expectations a little too high – especially after that great review by Moonbeam!

On a related note, I’m really loving the introductory reviews from the nominators each week. Even when I don’t have a personal connection with an album, it really helps to understand its appeal when someone expresses themselves as passionately as Moonbeam and others have. I’m looking almost as forward to these as the albums themselves!

Overall album rating: 5.89 (Okay – but on the very high end of it.)
Favorite song: Luz de Piedra de Luna 8
Dan
Movin' On Up

Post by Dan »

I’m arriving a bit late for the party (people are already talking about this week’s album of the week by Lindi Ortega) but hopefully everyone hasn’t left yet.

As always, it’s a pleasure to read a review of yours, Moonbeam – I find it especially interesting to read about what excites you when you listen to specific songs on an album. I heard this album by Javiera Mena a few years ago and liked it then. Decided to listen to it again after reading your review and got about halfway through before feeling a need to recommend some Spanish-language songs to you that you might like. All my recommendations are from genres I know you’re into: new wave, synthpop and electropop. You’ve probably heard many of these songs already, but anyway…

Soda Stereo - Lo que sangra (la cúpula)
Soda Stereo - Prófugos
Soda Stereo - Persiana americana
Soda Stereo - Nada personal
Soda Stereo - Cuando pase el temblor
La Unión - Lobo-hombre en París
Radio Futura - Escuela de calor
Golpes Bajos - Malos tiempos para la lírica
Los Encargados - Orbitando
Cetu Javu - A dónde
Aviador Dro - Selector de frecuencias
Charly García - Nos siguen pegando abajo (pecado mortal)
Paraíso - Para ti
Family - Nadadora
Alaska y Los Pegamoides - Otra dimensión
Javiera Mena - Espada
Odisea - Casa latina
Carla Morrison - Un beso

I’m no expert on Spanish-language songs from these genres – Honorio, Miguel and panam (among others) are undoubtedly more knowledgable, but these are just songs I liked and thought you might like too.

Looking forward to returning to the second part of the Javiera Mena album now.
...will keep us together.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”