Concerts you have coming up

Henry
Into the Groove

Re: Concerts you have coming up

Post by Henry »

Just saw Peter Frampton and The Steve Miller Band at Jones Beach.

The acts both performed very well, but there was too much rain during Frampton's set. It will be nice to return to California in a few days.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Seeing Elvis Costello next month!
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:Seeing Elvis Costello next month!
I am looking forward to reading your take on his inconsistent vocals during his performances.

At the Greek Theater in Berkeley, he was fantastic on some songs and miserable on others.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Managed to snag tickets on Friday to see LCD Soundsystem at Brooklyn Steel in December.

This will be the second time I've seen them (first was all the way back in 2010).
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Arcade Fire in October. Last tour of course they asked the audience to dress in formal wear. What this time: bunny costumes?
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

^ I didn't tickets, the site couldn't deal with the load of requests and I missed out. It's a shame as the last time I saw them (2008) I wasn't a big fan. I'm thinking about going to the venue on the night and seeing if someone has a spare (not from a tout tho).
Nick wrote:Managed to snag tickets on Friday to see LCD Soundsystem at Brooklyn Steel in December.
I managed to get tickets as well, though I haven't seen them live before. I'm so excited I can't even :happy-partydance:

St. Vincent, Run The Jewels, Susanne Sundfør and Lorde tickets have been purchased too. Annie is the only one I have seen before and I'm looking forward to another amazing show.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Saw Yo La Tengo at Summer Stage yesterday. Holy damn, that was incredible. Is Ira Kaplan commonly acknowledged as one of the greatest guitarists of all time? Because that was the best live guitar-playing I've ever seen. The openers were Ultimate Painting, who never looked at the audience and seemed kinda grumpy the whole time, even when they had a pretty epic jam session with YLT near the end of the show.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Next for me is Belle & Sebastan.
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

Not coming up, but I saw a boatload of acclaimed bands at one concert recently: Garbage, Blondie, and John and Exene from X. Also Roger Waters twice in June.
Father2TheMan
Different Class

Post by Father2TheMan »

Still debating who I might see while in Houston,Texas next three weeks for business but a Sgt.Pepper tribute looks like a lock. Wife and I will catch Ben Folds in October.
"The laughs come hard in Old Lang Syne....."
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Post by notdarkyet »

I'm sure many people on here are already aware what a wonderful resource setlist.fm is but what might not be fully appreciated how beneficial it is to register an account to track your own shows there. Once you do a single click on a "I was there" button for each concert you attend creates a personal database for artists, songs, venues and festivals you have attended. There's also a social aspect since you can view other peoples lists and if you are logged in ones you attended in common will appear highlighted. Here is mine to get a sample of what I am referring to:

https://www.setlist.fm/songs/obladerek

Be sure to click on the Concert Statistics tab as well to get a more general 'at-a-glance' overview of my attendance.
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

notdarkyet wrote:I'm sure many people on here are already aware what a wonderful resource setlist.fm is but what might not be fully appreciated how beneficial it is to register an account to track your own shows there. Once you do a single click on a "I was there" button for each concert you attend creates a personal database for artists, songs, venues and festivals you have attended. There's also a social aspect since you can view other peoples lists and if you are logged in ones you attended in common will appear highlighted. Here is mine to get a sample of what I am referring to:

https://www.setlist.fm/songs/obladerek

Be sure to click on the Concert Statistics tab as well to get a more general 'at-a-glance' overview of my attendance.
Wow, you have been to a LOT of concerts!
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Post by notdarkyet »

Bonnaroo has a lot to do with this. I attended that for 10 years straight from 2006-2015 and saw 120+ during that run. This year is 20th anniversary of my first concert so trying to reach #500 by year's end. There is a festival I am attending in Chicago in September called Riot Fest where if everything goes according to plan I will add another 12 shows that weekend and should get me very close to my goal.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I'm sad I won't be able to see Arcade Fire this year, the show is on the same day as the race I've been training for all summer.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I saw Brian Wilson presents Pet Sounds last night. I'm not sure how I felt about it all to be honest, but this review seems to get close.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Heavy thunderstorms for concert with outdoor venue (Seating area under tent). How motivated am I to see Belle & Sebastian?
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

My hometown has suddenly got hold to a couple of interesting indie artists and I will attend. These are the performers and the dates:

August 24: Parquet Courts
August 31: Foxygen
September 6: Colin Stetson
October 27: Hurray for the Riff Raff

Hurray for the Riff Raff's The Navigator has been one of the best albums of the year for me. It does well on MegaCritic, but doesn't seem to have gotten much attention on the forum otherwise. I really look forward to the concert.
I also really liked Foxygen's latest album, which seems to divide opinions in an extreme way. I'm wondering how it will hold up live.
Stetson has been a favorite of mine for a while now. I don't know Parquet Courts all that well actually, but what I've heard fits my taste and I will prepare for the concert.
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

The only concert left currently on my schedule is St Vincent, who I know to be an excellent live act. Waiting for more winter tours to be announced.

What's everyone's favorite and least favorite concert venues around where they live?

Most of the acts I'm interested in seeing lately seem to show at one of two locations, House of Blues Boston and Blue Hills Bank Pavilion. House of Blues is nice because the area around the stage is all GA so you don't need to pay extreme prices to be ten feet away from the band. (Or just show up half an hour early to get five feet away). The problem with that is that if you want to leave to move around a little bit or get a drink or something it's almost impossible to get back that close. Blue Hills Bank Pavilion is nice because it's outdoor and in the vendor area you can walk around and look out at the harbor, the only problem is the drinks are absurdly overpriced. The craft options go as high as $16 for a single drink. Also because it's under a tent the acoustics are a bit more of a challenge to sound good from every single seat, and the stage area's precludes some of the more visual performancy acts from doing exactly what they want.

I'm not a huge fan of stadiums just because of the price you have to pay to even really see the band so you usually end up watching them on the monitors. Also the vendor options there tend to be the same as for a professional sports game. I think I prefer the smaller venues with GA floors and bars, even though it can be painful to have to stand up packed in with hundreds of people for hours to avoid losing your place.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

Rob wrote: I also really liked Foxygen's latest album, which seems to divide opinions in an extreme way. I'm wondering how it will hold up live.
I saw them on the debut performance of this tour and then again in a bigger venue a few months later. I forgave them some of the pitfalls of the first concert as it was a last minute warm up show and it was in a tiny venue. I walked out 20 minutes into their second show as they had somehow managed to get worse. There was no interest on putting on a good show, at least from the core two members of the band, the backing band was doing as best they could in the situation. While the first set had times of bad singing and lazy showmanship, it was amplified in a venue 20 times the size.

I really, really, really wanted them to be good live (Hang is one of my top albums of the year and I loved Starpower) but I just don't think they are capable of it at the moment.

So I guess, have a drink or two beforehand :P
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Maschine_Man wrote:
Rob wrote: I also really liked Foxygen's latest album, which seems to divide opinions in an extreme way. I'm wondering how it will hold up live.
I saw them on the debut performance of this tour and then again in a bigger venue a few months later. I forgave them some of the pitfalls of the first concert as it was a last minute warm up show and it was in a tiny venue. I walked out 20 minutes into their second show as they had somehow managed to get worse. There was no interest on putting on a good show, at least from the core two members of the band, the backing band was doing as best they could in the situation. While the first set had times of bad singing and lazy showmanship, it was amplified in a venue 20 times the size.

I really, really, really wanted them to be good live (Hang is one of my top albums of the year and I loved Starpower) but I just don't think they are capable of it at the moment.

So I guess, have a drink or two beforehand :P
For what it's worth, they play in a relatively small venue here. We'll see.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

The first of the concerts I mentioned above has passed: Parquet Courts. And they were great! I don't know if anyone here has seen them live before, but I recommended them to anyone who really like to rock out sometime. Even the banter in which they slyly poked fun at The Netherlands was inspired.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Todd Rundgren at The Chapel in San Francisco. I've never been to The Chapel before and Todd's latest series of concerts (as I've seen on YouTube) have been purposefully unpredictable. So my expectations are that this will be a 17-18 song set with Todd doing some covers as well as many of his own songs and only a few from his latest album - White Knight.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Maschine_Man wrote:
It seems I had better luck. They were in great form last week. They had no trouble getting the whole place dancing in no time and the band seemed to enjoy themselves. Great musicianship too from everyone.

It didn't really answer a question I had about the band though. I really like Hang, but it is also an album that seems to halfway mock the music it is based on (big band/ Sinatra style swing; through rock). I never can tell if these guys are sincere or are driven by disdain. Listening back to 21st Century Ambassadors, which I always saw as a straightforward tribute to sixties pop, I now even discovered at least some sense of mockery there. The live performance was grotesque, with Sam France going full Vegas-style sleazebag and thus confirming some of my suspicions. But would parody bands really take the time to craft such good songs?

It's a weird band for sure. Sometimes brushed asides as mere imitators of old styles, but they really are their own thing. They are even harder to gauge because they also have a truly terrible album (... And Star Power, which actually listened to again before the concert, something I deeply regret) under their belt. And even that one starts of with a couple of great tracks, before becoming a prime candidate for the title of Worst Album Ever Made by a Talented Band.

Anyhow, the concert was great fun.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I'm glad you had fun! I'm happy I was wrong in this case :happy-partydance:

I got last minute twitter-found tickets to The Killers in a smaller venue (o2 Brixton Academy) and I have to say it was quite the show, Brandon knows how to work the room.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Hoping to see George Clinton in a couple weeks.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Seeing Big Thief, BADBADNOTGOOD, and Animal Collective tonight. Though Animal Collective is one of my top bands, I find it hard to get excited for them these days...
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

BleuPanda wrote:Seeing Big Thief, BADBADNOTGOOD, and Animal Collective tonight. Though Animal Collective is one of my top bands, I find it hard to get excited for them these days...
Strangely I got really disappointed when I saw them live touring after MPP's release, but really enjoyed them last year when they were supporting Painting With so who knows ? Maybe it was the lessen expectations, but I think it was way more fun than the first time around.

Don't have anyone interested in Brussels to go see Run the Jewels + Danny Brown but I feel like I'm missing out...
So next concert for me is Zombie Zombie + Blanck Mass (might go see Godspeed! before that though).
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Might see a mini performance by Wolf Alice at Amoeba Records in Hollywood. Hearing great things about the new album.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

luvulongTIM wrote:Might see a mini performance by Wolf Alice at Amoeba Records in Hollywood. Hearing great things about the new album.
Listened to it ("Visions of a Life") twice yesterday, phenomenal. Certainly top three AOTY for me. Very '90s.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I do have to recommend everyone who has a chance to see Hurray for the Riff Raff live. The concert I attended last Friday definitely belonged to the best I attended. The sound mix was off, which made the sound of the lead guitar drown most else at times. This is a sorry case in the best of times, but certainly here because the voice of Alynda Segarra is a main selling point. That it hardly mattered was proof of the power of the performance. Segarra has great presence and the show was wild and wonderful. Her backing band is great too. It was one of those concerts were you could feel the whole crowd was into it. I didn't expect it going in, but the whole performance reminded me of Bruce Springsteen. And what do you know, her encore was Dancing in the Dark by the Boss.

Also, their album The Navigator is one of my favorites of the year. Especially remarkable if you consider that they had already released a lot of stuff in the last ten years, without making anything original or special (I went through their whole back catalog in preparation for the concert, a sadly uninspiring task). They made huge leaps all of a sudden, perhaps because Segarra found her subject in the troubles in the lives of Puerto Rican migrants.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'm seeing LCD Soundsystem live in Brooklyn on Friday. Needless to say, I'm pretty pumped.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Nick wrote:I'm seeing LCD Soundsystem live in Brooklyn on Friday. Needless to say, I'm pretty pumped.
Are they playing at your house?
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Nick wrote:I'm seeing LCD Soundsystem live in Brooklyn on Friday. Needless to say, I'm pretty pumped.
I'll show you the ropes, kid, show you thhhheeeee ropes.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Nick wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
I'll show you the ropes, kid, show you thhhheeeee ropes.
You've got to set them up (ooh ooh yeah)
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Just saw Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds in Boston last week (and it was a great show too!)

Now I have tickets to see Radiohead in Boston in July! Super excited!!
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Jethro Tull at the Greek Theater in Berkeley in June. We'll see if the old farts are still up to it.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Pumped up for this one. Hopefully, there will be no clashes in set times between favorites (Tame Impala & Fleet Foxes, Jack White & Alice in Chains, Depeche Mode & NIN, etc.)

Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Smashing Pumpkins and Janelle Monae.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Panic! At the Disco and The Revivalists, potentially Foo Fighters.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Jethro Tull on June 2nd at the Greek in Berkeley.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I thought I had already shared it, but apparently not: I'll be seeing Courtney Barnett in Utrecht coming Thursday.
Beach House at the same venue in October.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I went to the Joe Hisaishi concert happening in relation to the Fanime Convention in San Jose. The orchestra wasn't perfect, but I didn't expect it to be, and it was amazing to see all my favorite songs performed live. "The Legend of Ashitaka" made me the most emotional; I got really close to tearing up. There was a whole choir, and even a marching band. If I was asked to name a single favorite concert, I would say it was this one. Also, it was hinted during the concert that Miyazaki might come out of retirement one more time...

Looking forward to seeing Janelle Monae in a couple weeks, too.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

prosecutorgodot wrote:Also, it was hinted during the concert that Miyazaki might come out of retirement one more time...
His new project has been announced some time ago already: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8055182/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Rob wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:Also, it was hinted during the concert that Miyazaki might come out of retirement one more time...
His new project has been announced some time ago already: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8055182/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1.
Ah, thanks. Looking forward to it.
fasbjd
Wannabe

Post by fasbjd »

Will be partying like it's 1997 this summer - seeing Radiohead and Modest Mouse
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Janelle Monae and Smashing Pumpkins in July, Saint Etienne in September.

A bit pissed I didn't hear about the Neil Young solo tour and Van Morrison until reasonably priced tickets were already gone. Obviously, Ticketmaster algorithm fail.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

I'm seeing Herbie Hancock tonight! As well as some jazz artists I'm not too familiar with. This will be my first jazz festival. Very excited to see Mr. Hancock perform.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I'm going to Paul Simon's final concert in Queens in September. Who knows if it will actually be his last show (he's currently on a "farewell tour"), but I'm excited to see him regardless.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Just saw Radiohead at MSG. Great show, really true to the albums, and the setlist was a pretty expansive overview of their career. The best surprise to me was how good Let Down was. After that performance I would have moved it up a couple hundred spots on my list if the songs poll deadline hadn’t passed.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

MBV @ the Shrine in LA. I’m more of a Cocteaus guy but Liz and Robin haven’t been on speaking terms since backing out of Coachella so I’ll pick the next best thing. But since Lush seems to be back on the shelf well here we are. I’ve so far heard mostly stellar reviews of their concerts but I’ve also heard they’re so loud you can’t make out what song they’re playing. I’m not a fan of Only Shallow so hopefully they’ll save that til the end in case I want to leave early once my ears start to bleed.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”