Errors in the 2017 update

Henrik
Site Admin

Re: Errors in the 2017 update

Postby Henrik » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:36 pm

Listyguy wrote:Why are there two versions of Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Dinner" on the AM list? I thought remixes were consolidated with the original song.

Because it was released with DNA as the main artist, featuring SV.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Henrik
Site Admin

Postby Henrik » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:03 am

lagire wrote:The Clean song "Tally Ho" Appears on the clash page!
As a consequence, there's no entry for this group

This is not an AM error. The Clean was actually The Clash under a different name, a response to the early Clash fans who thought London Calling’s sound was too clean.

It doesn’t stop there though. They also hired Hamish and David Kilgour and Robert Scott to act like Joe Strummer, Mick Jones and Paul Simonon. This was 7 years before Milli Vanilli! But ”Tally Ho!” didn’t become a big hit enough for this to be widely known.

The Kilgour brothers and Scott eventually continued for real as The Clean. Their first album, ”Vehicle”, was released in 1990.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Sweepstakes Ron
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Sweepstakes Ron » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:18 am

Henrik wrote:

This is not an AM error. The Clean was actually The Clash under a different name, a response to the early Clash fans who thought London Calling’s sound was too clean.

It doesn’t stop there though. They also hired Hamish and David Kilgour and Robert Scott to act like Joe Strummer, Mick Jones and Paul Simonon. This was 7 years before Milli Vanilli! But ”Tally Ho!” didn’t become a big hit enough for this to be widely known.

The Kilgour brothers and Scott eventually continued for real as The Clean. Their first album, ”Vehicle”, was released in 1990.

Huh, kinda like how Sunny Day Real Estate changed to just Real Estate when their music switched from hardcore emo to warm indie pop, thus making the "Sunny Day" in their name no longer ironic. Or when Aesop Rock started spitting so many wordy rhymes he had to become two rappers just to handle them all, thus causing the split between Aesop Rock and A$AP Rocky.
Feelin' good on a Wednesday

StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby StevieFan13 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:29 am

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Henrik wrote:

Huh, kinda like how Sunny Day Real Estate changed to just Real Estate when their music switched from hardcore emo to warm indie pop, thus making the "Sunny Day" in their name no longer ironic. Or when Aesop Rock started spitting so many wordy rhymes he had to become two rappers just to handle them all, thus causing the split between Aesop Rock and A$AP Rocky.

Yeah, little known fact: every single British Invasion band who weren't the Beatles just performed songs the Beatles didn't want to do. You see, John and Paul wrote over 120,000,000 songs, and naturally they couldn't fit time in their recording sessions to do them all. So they sent them out to other British bands who wanted to be famous like them and saved the best for themselves (it was a sheet music mix-up that forced them to keep "Revolution 9" and gave away "Pinball Wizard").
"Satisfaction"? John and Paul. "Waterloo Sunset"? John and Paul. "We Gotta Get Out of This Place"? John and Paul. "I'm Henery the Eighth, I Am"? Well, actually that one was Ringo, but he doesn't like talking about it. They even sent songs to other countries. Ever wonder why "Friday on My Mind" sounds so much like a Beatles song? You guessed it, John and Paul. John didn't really die, either: he just got chained up in Liam Gallagher's basement so he could write every single Oasis song. Rumor has it the reason the Gallaghers won't reunite is because they can't decide who'll tell John they broke up in the first place (he's still figuring out a new intro to "Don't Look Back in Anger" - he put the "Imagine" bit in as a placeholder).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

lagire
Rust Never Sleeps

Postby lagire » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:23 am

Donald Fagen I.G.Y. is N°92 on El Pais (Spain) - 100 Musicians Choose 100 Songs That Changed Their Lives (2009)
under the title "International Geophysical Year"

Idem for Johnny Kidd and The Pirates Shakin' All Over under his real name Frederick Heath

lagire
Rust Never Sleeps

Postby lagire » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:49 am

Blues March from Art Blakey is listed on Fréderic Platzer (France) - Le top 100 du jazz [Top 100 Jazz Songs] (2010)

On the same list, In a Sentimental Mood of Duke Ellington is on AM with the 1935 Version but in the list, its is mentionned as the 1963 Version with John Coltrane.

On the other hand, "Gerry Mulligan Quartet feat. Chet Baker My Funny Valentine" is listed in the list with the 1975 Carnegie Hall Version. Don't know if it could be included with the 1953 Version.

Bechet "Petite Fleur" is also listed in the list

lagire
Rust Never Sleeps

Postby lagire » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:33 am

Wow There's many misses again on the list.
Another one, Horace Silver The Preacher

Idem for Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong Summertime

It's not the 1941 Version of Take the "A" Train that's mentionned but the 1962 Version with Count Basie

lagire
Rust Never Sleeps

Postby lagire » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:12 pm

There's 2 entries for Creation Group

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Nick » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:16 pm

The Jimi Hendrix song "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" is listed on AM as "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)".

lagire
Rust Never Sleeps

Postby lagire » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:14 pm

There's twice Étienne de Crécy on artist list

lagire
Rust Never Sleeps

Postby lagire » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:56 am

Dead Milkmen is twice on artist list
idem for Dead Weather

jamesnorman83
Start Me Up

Postby jamesnorman83 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Some more pedantry from me...

1. Pearl Jam’s album “Vs.” should include a full stop

2. Michael Chapman's track "Postcards of Scarborough" is incorrectly listed as "Postcards Old Scarborough"

3. "Spiritwalker" by The Cult is one word, not two

4. "Waltz #2 (XO)" by Elliott Smith is missing the (XO)

5. "On & On" by Erykah Badu is written with an ampersand

6. Shouldn't the 'so' in "She's So Unusual" by Cyndi Lauper be capitalised?

7. "Irish Blood, English Heart" by Morrissey is missing the comma

8. "Sex Bomb" is by Tom Jones with Mousse T.

9. "Bug Powder Dust" is by Bomb the Bass with Justin Warfield

10. "Has It Come to This?" by The Streets should contain a question mark...

11. ...whereas "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" by Nirvana shouldn't

12. "Crimewave" is a collaboration between Crystal Castles and HEALTH, and should be listed as Crystal Castles vs. HEALTH (and should show on HEALTH's page too).

bonnielaurel
Rust Never Sleeps

Postby bonnielaurel » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:26 am

Bette Midler's "The Rose" is listed as 1980, but it was already on the soundtrack album of 1979.
They give awards for that music? I thought just ear plugs. (Woody Allen in Annie Hall)

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Nick » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:34 pm

The Len Barry song "1-2-3" is listed on this website as "2003-1-2".

Live in Phoenix
Rust Never Sleeps

Postby Live in Phoenix » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:39 pm

Whitesnake - Here I Go Again
This site places it at 1987, as most people probably would. It originally popped up on a 1982 LP, Saints & Sinners.
Wikipedia lists all the recording personnel between the 1982 version, and the 1987 version (and a different 1987 version) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_I_Go_Again
Rate Your Music, Track B1 on Saints & Sinners: https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album ... sinners-1/
YouTube of 1982 version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGIHaKCeVYk
"Here I Go Again" first charted in Britain in November, 1982, in an earlier incarnation. "I wrote the song in Portugal in 1981," says Whitesnake leader and founder David Coverdale. "We recorded it on [Saints and Sinners] ... This album was not released in the U.S., so the song remained undetected for a long time." -- The Billboard Book of Number One Hits, Fred Bronson

Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy
This site places it at 1992. It was on their earliest LP, Dusted, from 1989.
Rate Your Music, Track B3 on Dusted: https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album ... /dusted-1/
YouTube of 1989 version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5JNwinCmuA
Last edited by Live in Phoenix on Sun May 06, 2018 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kingoftonga
Unquestionable Presence

Postby Kingoftonga » Tue May 01, 2018 3:23 pm

Urge Overkill's "You'll Be A Woman Soon" actually came out in 1992, not 1994. It's on the band's Stull EP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stull_(EP)). I think the song is commonly mistaken as a 1994 release because of its inclusion in the Pulp Fiction soundtrack.

McJagger
Strange Fruit

Postby McJagger » Tue May 22, 2018 1:41 pm

The name of the Public Image Ltd album is "The Flowers of Romance" (with a definite article). The name of the Public Image Ltd song on that album is "Flowers of Romance" (without a definite article). You call both the album and the song "Flowers of Romance" (without a definite article).

Listyguy
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Listyguy » Wed May 23, 2018 12:10 am

I didn't look into this extensively, but both RYM and Wikipedia have "Dubnobasswithmyheadman" listed as a 1994 release, whereas here it's 1993.

jamesnorman83
Start Me Up

Postby jamesnorman83 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:11 pm

Hi all,

A few more bits and bobs from me.

1. John Lennon's "Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)" is missing the exclamation mark

2. "Devils Haircut" by Beck doesn't have an apostrophe

3. Oasis' "Cigarettes & Alcohol" is written with an ampersand, and "Rock 'n' Roll Star" is written with more spaces than on AM

4. "TVC 15" by David Bowie has a space between the letters and the numbers

5. N.E.R.D do not have a full stop after the "D". It is also normally stylised as N*E*R*D. And their track "Lapdance" should also feature Lee Harvey and Vita.

6. Travis' "Why Does It Always Rain on Me?" is missing the question mark...

7. ...while "What Became of the Likely Lads" by The Libertines doesn't have one

8. Seems only fair that Armand van Helden has "Professional Widow (Armand's Star Trunk Funkin' Mix)" listed on his page?

9. "Mr. Loverman" is by Shabba Ranks with Chevelle Franklin

10. The Stooges' "T.V. Eye" is missing the dots

Nick
Die Mensch Maschine

Postby Nick » Fri May 25, 2018 9:13 pm

The Beach Boys' song "'Til I Die" is listed on this site as "Till I Die".

stone37
Let's Get It On

Postby stone37 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:17 pm

"Dueling Banjos" should be 1972. Wikipedia says song was released in December 1972. It entered Billboard Hot 100 in early January, which strongly suggests a late 1972 release. RYM says 1973, but the picture of the 45 that goes along with the entry says 1972.

Return to “Music, music, music...”