Album of the Week: Nomination Thread

Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Album of the Week: Nomination Thread

Post by Moonbeam »

Hi, folks! Given the diversity we have on the forum, as evident in our all-time albums list, I was thinking it might be a fun idea to have a group listening project in which we take turns nominating an album for everyone to listen to and comment over the period of a week. This could be a way to both share our love for obscure nuggets, enjoy shared hype about a hot new release, and expand our tastes.

Not exactly sure how it would run without cluttering the forum, but I thought I'd gauge interest.

Pool 1:

October 30th - November 5th: The Young Rascals - Groovin' (nominated by Hymie)
November 6th - November 12th: Tilly and the Wall - O (nominated by luvulongTIM)
November 13th - November 19th: Lo Fidelity All-Stars - How to Operate with a Blown Mind (nominated by spiritualized)
November 20th - November 26th: Javiera Mena - Mena (nominated by Moonbeam)
November 27th - December 3rd: Lindi Ortega - Little Red Boots (nominated by BonnieLaurel)
December 4th - December 10th: Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band - Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band (nominated by DocBrown)
December 11th - December 17th: Santigold - Master of My Make-Believe (nominated by Sweepstakes Ron)
December 18th - December 24th: Kacey Musgraves - Pageant Material (nominated by StevieFan13)
December 25th - December 31th: Fats Domino - Live at Montreux (nominated by Rob)
Last edited by Moonbeam on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:51 am, edited 10 times in total.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Re: Group listening project idea: Album of the Week?

Post by notbrianeno »

I think it would be very fruitful to this forum to have a recurring project like this, one that is less of a poll or competition and more of a discussion. One of my favorite aspects of the all-time project that just concluded was seeing people's thoughts on different albums ranging from the ones they were unfamiliar with to their personal favorites.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

notbrianeno wrote:I think it would be very fruitful to this forum to have a recurring project like this, one that is less of a poll or competition and more of a discussion. One of my favorite aspects of the all-time project that just concluded was seeing people's thoughts on different albums ranging from the ones they were unfamiliar with to their personal favorites.
Agreed. I LOVE our games, but I love our discussions, too, and thought this would be a good vehicle for that purpose.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Sounds good to me! I reckon see who's keen - then we each nominate an album (favourite desert island album or maybe a moderately acclaimed one?) and then randomly select one to listen to each week and post thoughts, or a review, or stand-out tracks etc.
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

Great idea, Moonbeam! It could be like our book of the month club.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

I'm all for it. My life has been dedicated to create new listeners for my favorite, usually obscure albums. This is the perfect stage for it. Although one has to be prepared for onslaughts and THAT may hurt.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

I would love this idea to hear other's lesser-known favorites, but I don't know that I'd submit any of my own albums. (As I've said before, I protect my personal favorites like my babies - because, in a way, they are.) My way of looking at it has always been that I submit lists for the polls, so they are out there. Since none of these obscure choices ever show up on other lists means, if others have listened to them, they haven't liked them. It makes me think that these are just deeply personal albums/songs with which I have a shared experience and not really "good" music (especially since I otherwise seem to have similar tastes to so many on the forum).
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

jamieW wrote:I would love this idea to hear other's lesser-known favorites, but I don't know that I'd submit any of my own albums. (As I've said before, I protect my personal favorites like my babies - because, in a way, they are.) My way of looking at it has always been that I submit lists for the polls, so they are out there. Since none of these obscure choices ever show up on other lists means, if others have listened to them, they haven't liked them. It makes me think that these are just deeply personal albums/songs with which I have a shared experience and not really "good" music (especially since I otherwise seem to have similar tastes to so many on the forum).
I understand that there are some albums that feel quite personal, but that's what I'd love about a project like this. Given that we're by and large a friendly bunch, I don't anticipate someone coming in and throwing haymakers at an album that is clearly beloved by whoever chose it. Happy for your participation (and anyone else's) regardless of whether you choose to nominate an album.
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Good idea Moonbeam, should be fun!
Long live variety.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

My nomination for the first "Album of the Week" is an album that I am shocked is not listed at all here on the site. It was a huge hit album, getting to # 5 on the Billboard album chart and staying on that chart for about a year. It's "Groovin'" by the Young Rascals, from 1967. Some of the younger folks around here have probably never heard the album. It had a great cover:

Here it is on youtube, check it out!

TRACK LISTING:

A1 A Girl Like You 2:46
A2 Find Somebody 3:40
A3 I'm So Happy Now 2:46
A4 Sueno 2:45
A5 How Can I Be Sure 2:50
B1 Groovin' 2:25
B2 If You Knew 3:01
B3 I Don't Love You Anymore 3:04
B4 You Better Run 2:25
B5 A Place in the Sun 4:50
B6 It's Love 3:10
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Here's my review of the Young Rascals album:

The album kicks off with "A Girl Like You," a big hit single that was released just a week or so before the album. The second track "Find Somebody" is very garage sounding and somewhat psychedelic too, with the guitar parts crossing back and forth between the right track and the left track. These guys were very soulful sounding white guys from New Jersey and New York, but they were also very influenced by the hippie rock sounds and the British Rock stuff that was popular at the time. Most of the members of the Rascals were members of Joey Dee and the Starlighters before they formed this band.

The third track "I'm So Happy Now" is straight pop rock in a similar style to the Turtles, who were also huge at this time. It would later be released as the B side to the final single from the album, "How Can I Be Sure." "I'm So Happy Now" was written and sung by Gene Cornish.

Next up is "Sueno," which was the B side of the "Groovin'" single from a few months before the album came out. It's a cross between 60s pop rock and a bit of flamenco guitar showing a mild Latin influence.

After that is the big hit single "How Can I Be Sure." This was the final single from the album, released about a month after the album entered the Billboard charts. Eddie Brigati sings the lead on this one and his brother Dave Brigati is credited on the album cover with providing "vocal background effects" for the album. Believe it or not "How Can I Be Sure" was being used for a time in later years as the theme song of a TV ad for condoms.

Side 2 of the album kicks off with the title track "Groovin'." Band leader Felix Cavaliere takes the lead on this one. This was one of the biggest hit singles ever in the New York City area. It was number one for 7 weeks on the biggest radio staion in town, WABC, and was also number one on the black stations in town, like WWRL and WNJR. The record had mass appeal for most all of the different neighborhoods in the New York City area, White, Black, Hispanic, whatever, it did not matter. Everybody loved the record. Nationally it was number one on the Billboard Hot 100 for 4 weeks, and even got to # 3 on Billboard's Top Soul Singles chart. Few white acts were making that chart at all at this time, and almost none were making the top 5, but the Rascals were the epitome of Blue-Eyed Soul in 1967. Like the Righteous Brothers were in 1965.

The next track is "If You Knew." This one is a duet with Eddie and Felix singing together on lead. Most of the Rascals songs were written by Felix and Eddie together, like Jagger-Richard and Lennon-McCartney. The Rascals had excellent singers, and two of them harmonize beautifully on this track.

The next track is another Gene Cornish song where he sings the lead, "I Don't Love You Anymore." He was the George Harrison of the group, the lead guitarist who worked on his own songs apart from the other 2 songwriters in the band. Felix played the keyboards, and Eddie was just a vocalist. Dino Danelli was the drummer. This one is a pretty ballad with great background vocals, sort of like the Association sound on things like "Never My Love" and "Cherish."

Next up is an older single called "You Better Run" that had not been on an album before. It was a top 30 national hit from the summer of 1966, about a year before the album was released. Pat Benetar later had a hit with the song. After this we get to the only song on the album that is not a Rascals original. The boys tackle the big Stevie Wonder hit song "A Place In The Sun." That happens to be my favorite Stevie Wonder record. This reading is somewhat schmaltzy, but the song is just that way to begin with, even Stevie's version. Eddie takes the lead here. The false ending and the eventual real ending are a little over the top.

The album closes now with "It's Love," which was the B side of the "A Girl Like You" single that kicked off the album. It features a flute solo from Hubert Laws. The 1960s stereo is cool on this track, and pretty much on the entire album IMO.

The youtube video has one bonus track, their huge 1968 hit "A Beautiful Morning" which comes on after the album. This album for me evokes a nice early summer day in the New York City area. High 70s in June, not a cloud in the sky, and we are Groovin'!

This band does not have much cred with album fans, but this album is very good, and their debut album "The Young Rascals'" is too, as well as "Collections," which was their second album. Later on they went away from their strengths and tried to be more progressive and hard rockin', and it did not work for me.

Bruce Eder, writing for AllMusic, rates the band's 1967 album "Groovin'" as their best, noting the record's soulful core and innovative use of jazz and Latin instrumental arrangements. The band was enormously popular in Canada, although they never made it big in the United Kingdom, with only "Groovin'" becoming a big hit single over there.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

That's awesome, Hymie! This is exactly what I was hoping to see out of this. Given that there seems to be decent interest, how about we use this post as a nomination thread. Let's say we nominate albums until next Sunday, November 5th, to start the project from Monday, November 6th. Hymie, since you already have your nomination and a nice post encapsulating why you've nominated it ready, would you be happy to be first, starting from this Monday (October 30th)?

Here's how we can proceed:

1. Hymie posts a separate thread for his album choice on Monday, October 30th, for us to discuss.
2. We use this thread to nominate albums until November 5th.
3. On November 5th, I'll randomise the order of the nominated albums.
4. Each week, the person whose album is due posts a thread with a link to where it can be heard and perhaps a short explanation of why the album was chosen.
5. If someone wants to join the project after nominations, they can still nominate an album to be considered in the next pool, to be started once the first pool of nomination concludes.

As an example, if there are 8 albums nominated this round, we'd be looking at something like this:

October 30th - November 5th: The Young Rascals - Groovin' (Hymie)
November 6th - November 12th: Album 2 from random draw on November 5th
November 13th - November 19th: Album 3 from random draw on November 5th
November 20th - November 26th: Album 4 from random draw on November 5th
November 27th - December 3rd: Album 5 from random draw on November 5th
December 4th - December 10th: Album 6 from random draw on November 5th
December 11th - December 17th: Album 7 from random draw on November 5th
December 18th - December 24th: Album 8 from random draw on November 5th
--- End of Pool 1---
December 25th - December 31st: Album 1 from random draw on December 24th
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Moonbeam wrote: Hymie, since you already have your nomination and a nice post encapsulating why you've nominated it ready, would you be happy to be first, starting from this Monday (October 30th)?
Yes. I'll be happy to.

I would like to keep the project to albums that are not listed on the site. The ones on the site already get dissected in threads like "mildy acclaimed albums."
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I’m gonna nominate Kacey Musgraves’ Pageant Material. I’m not a huge country fan, but she’s a gifted singer and lyricist, and the songs are really smart.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote:I’m gonna nominate Kacey Musgraves’ Pageant Material. I’m not a huge country fan, but she’s a gifted singer and lyricist, and the songs are really smart.
She really is. I love all of her albums. And I'm not a country fan either. Although I'm starting to like some of it a bit more lately. I like Sturgill Simpson, Jason Isbell, and Marin Morris
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

bootsy wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:I’m gonna nominate Kacey Musgraves’ Pageant Material. I’m not a huge country fan, but she’s a gifted singer and lyricist, and the songs are really smart.
She really is. I love all of her albums. And I'm not a country fan either. Although I'm starting to like some of it a bit more lately. I like Sturgill Simpson, Jason Isbell, and Marin Morris
Agreed! I am also not a big country fan, but Kacey is great and I like what I've heard from the others. I love A Sailor's Guide to Earth by Sturgill Simpson (would have made my top 150 if I heard it before the deadline), and I put Hero by Maren Morris in my top 200. I have not checked out Jason Isbell yet.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Can I nominate "Little Red Boots" (2011) by Lindi Ortega?
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

I will nominate Lo Fidelity All-stars "How to Operate with a Blown Mind"
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Well, I really like this idea, but colour me skeptical about the success. I mean, this exact same thing was tried two years ago:

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/vi ... eek#p43103

That died after seven weeks. And that is rather symptomatic for similar ideas. The 6000 topics I start every week were/ are meant as a weekly song discussion topic. That worked for a few weeks, but most people quit after that and it became more of a personal project for me. On other websites I noticed that non-committal topics like this tend do die after a short while. Perhaps Moderately Acclaimed captures this idea in a way that better fits this forum. But hopefully I'm wrong.

All right, my nomination:
Fats Domino - Live at Montreux

I've just discovered it myself, because of his death and the time seems just right for it now.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Rob wrote:Well, I really like this idea, but colour me skeptical about the success.
I'm afraid I have to agree with Rob. This kind of projects tend to fade after a while, usually people are more interested in nominate their favourites and not so much in listening other people's favourites (and I'm not an exception), like every edition of Moderately Acclaimed showcases. Anyway I hope many people participate here. I'm not going to nominate myself (I reserve my nominations for the already mentioned Moderately Acclaimed game) but I'm going to listen to every album and maybe make some comments if the album stimulates me enough.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Honorio wrote:
Rob wrote:Well, I really like this idea, but colour me skeptical about the success.
I'm afraid I have to agree with Rob. This kind of projects tend to fade after a while, usually people are more interested in nominate their favourites and not so much in listening other people's favourites (and I'm not an exception), like every edition of Moderately Acclaimed showcases. Anyway I hope many people participate here. I'm not going to nominate myself (I reserve my nominations for the already mentioned Moderately Acclaimed game) but I'm going to listen to every album and maybe make some comments if the album stimulates me enough.
Nice ! I always enjoy reading your reviews Honorio, even if our musical backgrounds and culture are somewhat different :)
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

We'll have to see how this goes. Hoping to get a decent response.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

I'll nominate Javiera Mena's 2010 electropop smash Mena.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Re: Album of the Week: Nomination Thread

Post by Moonbeam »

Last day for nominations for this first round!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

May I nominate a second album? I'd love to get some perspectives on another pretty recent album, Sleater-Kinney's The Woods (and since it finished pretty well in the all-time albums poll, I imagine we'll have some neat perspectives on it).
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

I'll nominate Santigold's Master of My Make-Believe.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

StevieFan13 wrote:May I nominate a second album? I'd love to get some perspectives on another pretty recent album, Sleater-Kinney's The Woods (and since it finished pretty well in the all-time albums poll, I imagine we'll have some neat perspectives on it).
Once the first nomination round closes, feel free to nominate The Woods. Would love to give it a spin, so hoping you do!
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

I'll play. "Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band" self-titled debut (1976).
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

andyd1010 wrote:
bootsy wrote:
Agreed! I am also not a big country fan, but Kacey is great and I like what I've heard from the others. I love A Sailor's Guide to Earth by Sturgill Simpson (would have made my top 150 if I heard it before the deadline), and I put Hero by Maren Morris in my top 200. I have not checked out Jason Isbell yet.
For all you non-country fans, run, don't walk, to try out Jade Jackson's "Gilded"
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

We can nominate ANYTHING? How about Tilly and the Wall’s third album o.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Round 1 nominations have closed. There were 8 nominations after Hymie's nomination led us off:

1. Kacey Musgraves - Pageant Material (nominated by StevieFan13)
2. Lindi Ortega - Little Red Boots (nominated by BonnieLaurel)
3. Lo Fidelity All-Stars - How to Operate with a Blown Mind (nominated by spiritualized)
4. Fats Domino - Live at Montreux (nominated by Rob)
5. Javiera Mena - Mena (nominated by Moonbeam)
6. Santigold - Master of My Make-Believe (nominated by Sweepstakes Ron)
7. Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band - Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band (nominated by DocBrown)
8. Tilly and the Wall - O (nominated by luvulongTIM)

I went to random.org to randomise the order of the 8 nominated albums, and this is what was spat out:

Random Integer Set Generator

You requested 1 set with 8 unique random integers, taken from the [1,8] range. The integers were not sorted.

Here is your set:

Set 1: 8, 4, 5, 2, 7, 6, 1, 3
Timestamp: 2017-11-05 21:30:40 UTC

Hence, here is the upcoming schedule for Album of the Week:

November 6-12: Tilly and the Wall - O (nominated by luvulongTIM)
November 13-19: Fats Domino - Live at Montreux (nominated by Rob)
November 20-26: Javiera Mena - Mena (nominated by Moonbeam)
November 27-December 3: Lindi Ortega - Little Red Boots (nominated by BonnieLaurel)
December 4-December 10: Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band - Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band (nominated by DocBrown)
December 11-December 17: Santigold - Master of My Make-Believe (nominated by Sweepstakes Ron)
December 18-December 24: Kacey Musgraves - Pageant Material (nominated by StevieFan13)
December 25-December 31: Lo Fidelity All-Stars - How to Operate with a Blown Mind (nominated by spiritualized)

When it is your album's turn, please start a thread on the first day of your week, with a description of why you nominated the album and perhaps a link to where the album can be heard (YouTube, Spotify, etc.).

Nominations for the next round are now open.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Oh Jesus. I’m next. Man, I’m on permanent writers block. Ok I’ll give it a try.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Moonbeam wrote: When it is your album's turn, please start a thread on the first day of your week, with a description of why you nominated the album and perhaps a link to where the album can be heard (YouTube, Spotify, etc.).
I'm sorry Moonbeam, but you literally couldn't have picked a worse Monday for me to write about an album. Could it be switched to a later date? Any other week is fine with me.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

I'd be happy to swap... Xmas week is kinda busy for me :)
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

spiritualized wrote:I'd be happy to swap... Xmas week is kinda busy for me :)
Rob, does this work for you? If so, I'll swap.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Moonbeam wrote:
spiritualized wrote:I'd be happy to swap... Xmas week is kinda busy for me :)
Rob, does this work for you? If so, I'll swap.
Yeah, that would work.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”