Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Hymie
Different Class
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Hymie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:09 am

To go along with my other 1968 thread, I'm gonna run a poll. Everyone should list their 10 favorite non acclaimed albums of 1968, ranked in order. Let's come up with a list of the best albums of 1968 that are not listed on the site.

I will score it like this:

# 1 - 35 points
# 2 - 29 points
# 3 - 24 points
# 4 - 20 points
# 5 - 17 points
# 6 - 15 points
# 7 - 14 points
# 8 - 13 points
# 9 - 12 points
# 10 - 11 points

We'll use RYM for the years of the albums, except for "Crimson And Clover" which is listed there as 1969, but came out in 1968.

You can check out my other 1968 thread for some possibilities.

Here's a link to the RYM 1968 list:

https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?p ... countries=

You can vote for any album of any genre from 1968 as long as it...
1 - Is not listed on the AM site at all, even in the bubbling under section.
2 - Is a legitimate album, not a collection release like greatest hits.


No deadline yet, we'll see how the ballots come in.
Last edited by Hymie on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hymie
Different Class
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Hymie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:14 am

Here's my ballot:

1 - Dells - There Is
2 - Solomon Burke - King Solomon
3 - Tommy James & the Shondells - Crimson And Clover
4 - Clarence Carter - This Is Clarence Carter
5 - Johnny Rivers - Realization
6 - Wilson Pickett - I'm In Love
7 - Turtles - Battle Of The Bands
8 - The Smoke - The Smoke
9 - Sam & Dave - I Thank You
10 - Percy Sledge - Take Time To Know Her

User avatar
madzong
Different Class
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby madzong » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:32 am

1. The Beach Boys - Friends
2. Moby Grape - Wow/Grape Jam
3. The Formyula - The Fourmyula
4. Quicksilver Messenger Service - Quicksilver Messenger Service
5. The Mamas And The Papas - The Papas And The Mamas
6. Buffalo Springfield - Last Time Around
7. Spirit - The Family That Plays Together (It's Bubbling Under so not sure if it counts?)
8. The Monkees - The Birds, The Beed & The Monkees
9. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Clearwater Revival
10. Steve Miller Band - Children Of The Future
11. Donovan - The Hurdy Gurdy Man

Number 11 is only there if I can't have the Spirit album :)

Henry
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1217
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Henry » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:00 am

1. Buffalo Springfield - Last Time Around
2. Nazz - Nazz
3. James Taylor - James Taylor
4. Tommy James and the Shondells - Crimson and Clover
5. Donovan - Hurdy Gurdy Man
6. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Clearwater Revival
7. The Nice - Ars Longa Vita Brevis
8. The Temptations - I Wish It Would Rain
9 The Dells - There Is
10. Jethro Tull - This Was

Hymie
Different Class
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Hymie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:07 am

madzong wrote:1. The Beach Boys - Friends
2. Moby Grape - Wow/Grape Jam
3. The Formyula - The Fourmyula
4. Quicksilver Messenger Service - Quicksilver Messenger Service
5. The Mamas And The Papas - The Papas And The Mamas
6. Buffalo Springfield - Last Time Around
7. Spirit - The Family That Plays Together (It's Bubbling Under so not sure if it counts?)
8. The Monkees - The Birds, The Beed & The Monkees
9. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Clearwater Revival
10. Steve Miller Band - Children Of The Future
11. Donovan - The Hurdy Gurdy Man

Number 11 is only there if I can't have the Spirit album :)


Bubbling under is no good. It has to be not listed on the site at all. The CCR album just missed my list and I like 8 or 9 of the albums on your list.
Last edited by Hymie on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hymie
Different Class
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Hymie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:09 am

Henry wrote:1. Buffalo Springfield - Last Time Around
2. Nazz - Nazz
3. James Taylor - James Taylor
4. Tommy James and the Shondells - Crimson and Clover
5. Donovan - Hurdy Gurdy Man
6. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Clearwater Revival
7. The Nice - Ars Longa Vita Brevis
8. The Temptations - I Wish It Would Rain
9 The Dells - There Is
10. Jethro Tull - This Was


Good list, Henry. Glad you got the Dells in there. Nazz was # 12 for me.

User avatar
Romain
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 3388
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:25 pm
Location: Lyon, France

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Romain » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:13 am

1. Jacques Brel - Jacques Brel (J'arrive)
2. Françoise Hardy - Comment te dire adieu ?
3. Brigitte Fontaine - Brigitte Fontaine est... ?
4. Barbara - Le soleil noir
5. Michel Polnareff - Volume 2
6. Jean-Jacques Perrey - The Amazing New Electronic Pop Sound of Jean-Jacques Perrey
7. Gribouille - Gribouille
8. Jean-Luc Ponty - More Than Meets the Ear
9. Les Fleurs de Pavot - Les fleurs de pavot
10. Serge Lama - D'aventures en aventures

Hymie
Different Class
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Hymie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:22 am

Romain wrote:1. Jacques Brel - Jacques Brel (J'arrive)
2. Françoise Hardy - Comment te dire adieu ?
3. Brigitte Fontaine - Brigitte Fontaine est... ?
4. Barbara - Le soleil noir
5. Michel Polnareff - Volume 2
6. Jean-Jacques Perrey - The Amazing New Electronic Pop Sound of Jean-Jacques Perrey
7. Gribouille - Gribouille
8. Jean-Luc Ponty - More Than Meets the Ear
9. Les Fleurs de Pavot - Les fleurs de pavot
10. Serge Lama - D'aventures en aventures


Thank you. Good start with 4 ballots in already, including mine.

User avatar
bonnielaurel
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 957
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:48 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby bonnielaurel » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:09 am

1. Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - You're All I Need
2. Bee Gees - Horizontal
3. Melanie - Born to Be
4. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Clearwater Revival
5. Marvin Gaye - In the Groove
6. Dionne Warwick - Valley of the Dolls
7. Townes Van Zandt - For the Sake of the Song
8. Stevie Wonder - For Once in My Life
9. Herbie Hancock - Speak Like a Child
10. Brigitte Bardot - Brigitte Bardot Show
Last edited by bonnielaurel on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
They give awards for that music? I thought just ear plugs. (Woody Allen in Annie Hall)

User avatar
Pierre
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Pierre » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:25 am

Françoise Hardy's "Comment te dire adieu ?" is actually bubbling under.

User avatar
madzong
Different Class
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby madzong » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:43 am

madzong wrote:1. The Beach Boys - Friends
2. Moby Grape - Wow/Grape Jam
3. The Formyula - The Fourmyula
4. Quicksilver Messenger Service - Quicksilver Messenger Service
5. The Mamas And The Papas - The Papas And The Mamas
6. Buffalo Springfield - Last Time Around
7. Spirit - The Family That Plays Together (It's Bubbling Under so not sure if it counts?)
8. The Monkees - The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees
9. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Clearwater Revival
10. Steve Miller Band - Children Of The Future
11. Donovan - The Hurdy Gurdy Man

Number 11 is only there if I can't have the Spirit album :)


Here is my amended list:

1. The Beach Boys - Friends
2. Moby Grape - Wow/Grape Jam
3. The Formyula - The Fourmyula
4. Quicksilver Messenger Service - Quicksilver Messenger Service
5. The Mamas And The Papas - The Papas And The Mamas
6. Buffalo Springfield - Last Time Around
7. The Monkees - The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees
8. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Clearwater Revival
9. Steve Miller Band - Children Of The Future
10. Donovan - The Hurdy Gurdy Man

The Monkees are a guilty pleasure... :) The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees could easily have been substituted for the 'Head' Soundtrack.

Hymie
Different Class
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Hymie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:06 pm

bonnielaurel wrote:1. Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - You're All I Need
2. Bee Gees - Horizontal
3. Melanie - Born to Be
4. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Clearwater Revival
5. Marvin Gaye - In the Groove
6. Dionne Warwick - Valley of the Dolls
7. Townes Van Zandt - For the Sake of the Song
8. Stevie Wonder - For Once in My Life
9. Françoise Hardy - Comment te dire adieu
10. Herbie Hancock - Speak Like a Child


Moving Hancock to # 9. Please add a new # 10 to replace the Hardy album, which is BU on the site.

User avatar
Pierre
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Pierre » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:15 pm

Hymie wrote:
bonnielaurel wrote:1. Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - You're All I Need
2. Bee Gees - Horizontal
3. Melanie - Born to Be
4. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Clearwater Revival
5. Marvin Gaye - In the Groove
6. Dionne Warwick - Valley of the Dolls
7. Townes Van Zandt - For the Sake of the Song
8. Stevie Wonder - For Once in My Life
9. Françoise Hardy - Comment te dire adieu
10. Herbie Hancock - Speak Like a Child


Moving Hancock to # 9. Please add a new # 10 to replace the Hardy album, which is BU on the site.


Romain's list is affected as well.

Hymie
Different Class
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Hymie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Pierre wrote:Romain's list is affected as well.


That's right, thanks.

Romain, I moved everything after the Hardy up one slot. Please give us a new # 10.

EmilienDelRey
Unquestionable Presence
Posts: 646
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:28 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby EmilienDelRey » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:32 pm

1 | John Fahey | The Yellow Princess
2 | Orchestre du Jardin de Guinée | Jardin de Guinée
3 | Pedro Santos | Krishnanda
4 | Billy Nicholls | Woud You Believe
5 | Bembeya Jazz | Bembeya Jazz
6 | Barbara Lynn | Here Is Barbara Lynn
7 | Brigitte Fontaine | Brigitte Fontaine est... ?
8 | David Axelrod | Songs of Innocence
9 | Dorothy Ahsby | Afro-Harping
10 | Nara Leão | Nara Leão
11 | Dillard & Clark | The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark
12 | Scott Fagan | South Atlantic Blues
13 | Orchestre Paillote | Volume 1

Hymie
Different Class
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Hymie » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:24 pm

Come on guys, I need a lot more ballots on this to make the results legit.

User avatar
Pierre
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Pierre » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:34 pm

Hymie wrote:Come on guys, I need a lot more ballots on this to make the results legit.


I plan on voting later; I have to do some relistening before that. You should set a deadline.

Hymie
Different Class
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Hymie » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:32 pm

Pierre wrote:I plan on voting later; I have to do some relistening before that. You should set a deadline.


Okay, we'll go with November 1 at midnight ET.

User avatar
bonnielaurel
Rust Never Sleeps
Posts: 957
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:48 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby bonnielaurel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:17 am

Hymie wrote:
Moving Hancock to # 9. Please add a new # 10 to replace the Hardy album, which is BU on the site.

Done. I replaced Françoise Hardy by another French singer.
They give awards for that music? I thought just ear plugs. (Woody Allen in Annie Hall)

User avatar
Miguel
Different Class
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:13 am

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Miguel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:57 am

1 | Neil Young | Neil Young
2 | The Beach Boys | Friends
3 | Sam & Dave | I Thank You
4 | Percy Sledge | Take Time to Know Her
5 | Bee Gees | Horizontal
6 | Townes Van Zandt | For the Sake of the Song
7 | Pic-Nic | Pic-Nic
8 | Los Brincos | Contrabando
9 | Wilson Pickett | I'm in Love
10 | Jacques Brel | L'homme de La Mancha
11 | Bee Gees | Idea
12 | Dionne Warwick | Valley of the Dolls
13 | Simon & Garfunkel / Dave Grusin | The Graduate
14 | Jacques Brel | J'arrive
15 | Buffalo Springfield | Last Time Around

pauldrach
Let's Get It On
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:42 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby pauldrach » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:23 am

There appear to be exactly ten albums from 1968 that I've listened to and that are not on AM:

1 | Archie Fisher | Archie Fisher
2 | Tim Hart & Maddy Prior | Folk Songs of Old England Vol. 2
3 | Tim Hart & Maddy Prior | Folk Songs of Old England Vol. 1
4 | Creedence Clearwater Revival | Creedence Clearwater Revival
5 | The Young Tradition | Galleries
6 | The Nice | Ars Longa Vita Brevis
7 | Sweeney's Men | Sweeney's Men
8 | Various Artists | Deep Lancashire: Songs and Ballads of the Industrial North West
9 | The Nice | The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack
10 | Original German Cast | Anatevka: Deutsche Originalaufnahme [original German language cast recording of "The Fiddler on the Roof"]

So, more than half are English/Celtic folk and the last one truly shouldn't be here (it's not bad but I'm less than lukewarm on it). Use the list if you wish.

Hymie
Different Class
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Hymie » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:31 pm

pauldrach wrote:There appear to be exactly ten albums from 1968 that I've listened to and that are not on AM:

1 | Archie Fisher | Archie Fisher
2 | Tim Hart & Maddy Prior | Folk Songs of Old England Vol. 2
3 | Tim Hart & Maddy Prior | Folk Songs of Old England Vol. 1
4 | Creedence Clearwater Revival | Creedence Clearwater Revival
5 | The Young Tradition | Galleries
6 | The Nice | Ars Longa Vita Brevis
7 | Sweeney's Men | Sweeney's Men
8 | Various Artists | Deep Lancashire: Songs and Ballads of the Industrial North West
9 | The Nice | The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack
10 | Original German Cast | Anatevka: Deutsche Originalaufnahme [original German language cast recording of "The Fiddler on the Roof"]

So, more than half are English/Celtic folk and the last one truly shouldn't be here (it's not bad but I'm less than lukewarm on it). Use the list if you wish.


Of course I am using it. It's just as valid as any other list here.

Hymie
Different Class
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Hymie » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:24 pm

Need a bunch more ballots if we are going to have a significant result here. Deadline is Nov 1 at midnight ET.

User avatar
Pierre
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Pierre » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:21 am

So, initially I told myself "let's do some re-listening, I haven't heard many of these unacclaimed 68 albums in ages" since most of what I listen to was released starting with the 70s funk & punk era. And then I was having fun, so I told myself "let's listen to the albums suggested by other people that I find intriguing". And then, since I was starting to have a pretty neat near-top 30, I told myself "let's look at those lists I'm working on to round out my top 30". And somewhere down the line, it just became about showing off my newfound knowledge :mrgreen:

The fact that I was surprised by my #1 even myself is a testament to the fact I wasn't biased toward any act or style, I think. I can say after listening all this that 1968 was certainly a very good year, but that doesn't mean I think the AM list is lacking in any way: of these, I feel that only the top 18, maybe top 20 deserves lost classics status. The rest is just very good albums.

1. Alice Coltrane - A Monastic Trio
2. Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - You're All I Need
3. Michael Mantler - The Jazz Composer's Orchestra
4. The Nice - Ars Longa Vita Brevis
5. Dillard & Clark - The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark
6. Spooky Tooth - It's All About/Spooky Tooth/Tobacco Road
7. Gérard Manset - Manset
8. The Jacks - Vacant World/Jacks no Sekai
9. The Gun - The Gun
10. Los Brincos - Contrabando

11. Wilson Pickett - I'm in Love
12. Arthur Brown - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
13. Sagittarius - Present Tense
14. Avengers - Electric Record
15. Michel Polnareff - Polnareff 2/Le Bal des Laze
16. The Move - Move
17. Steppenwolf - The Second
18. T. Rex - Prophets, Seers & Sages: The Angels of the Ages
19. The International Submarine Band - Safe at Home
20. Sly & the Family Stone - Life
21. The Temptations - Live at the Copa
22. Patty Pravo - Patty Pravo
23. Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Strictly Personal
24. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Creedence Clearwater Revival
25. Status Quo - Picturesque Matchstickable Messages from the Status Quo
26. Brigitte Fontaine - Brigitte Fontaine est...?
27. The Temptations - Wish It Would Rain
28. Marvin Gaye - In the Groove/I Heard It Through the Grapevine
29. The Incredible String Band - Wee Tam and the Big Huge
30. Aphrodite's Child - End of the World
31. Sun Ra - Outer Spaceways Incorporated
32. The Steve Miller Band - Children of the Future
33. Red Krayola - God Bless the Red Krayola and All Who Sail with It
34. Herbie Hancock - Speak Like a Child
35. Léo Ferré - L'Été 68
36. Tammy Wynette - D-I-V-O-R-C-E
37. Barbara - Le Soleil noir
38. The Impressions - This Is My Country
39. The Seeds - Raw & Alive: The Seeds in Concert at Merlin's Music Box
40. The Smoke - The Smoke
41. Sly & the Family Stone - Dance to the Music
42. Deep Purple - Shades of Deep Purple
43. Thelonious Monk - Underground
44. The Folk Crusaders - Kigen Nisennen
45. Jacques Dutronc - Jacques Dutronc [1968]/Il est cinq heures
46. John Mayall - Blues from Laurel Canyon
47. Merle Haggard - Sing Me Back Home
48. Nazz - Nazz
49. Jacques Brel - J'arrive
50. France Gall - 1968


5 more bubblers, because the number 5 goes well with a top 50.

Bob Crewe - Barbarella
Vanilla Fudge - Renaissance
Blue Cheer - Outsideinside
Les Fleurs de pavot - Les Fleurs de pavot
T. Rex - My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair... But Now They're Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows


Bonus albums: these ones' release dates vary from source to source between 1968 and 1969, so I decided to leave them out, although they're all interesting.

Albert Ayler - New Grass
Caravan - Caravan
Neil Young - Neil Young


Archival recordings

That's where the "showing off" part comes in full bloom :music-rockon: I initially just wanted to mention the Can archival album, but since I was having a lot of fun exploring this year, I just decided to push it and do a review of a number of archival recordings that have been well-rated or acclaimed. After this, I must say that nothing in my opinion reaches an essential status like Tim Buckley's Dream Letter, which is rightfully already featured on AM. But the albums in the first batch are all enlightening (the Can, Phil Ochs, Robert Wyatt & Neil Young ones especially) or really exciting for some reason, and warmly recommended. The second batch are albums that are interesting but flawed in some way, whether its above-average but not stellar performances or recording issues, and I would only recommend them to hardcore fans of music of the 1960s.


GREAT ARCHIVAL RECORDINGS
Big Brother & the Holding Company featuring Janis Joplin - Live at the Carousel Ballroom 1968
James Brown - Say It Live and Loud: Live in Dallas 08.26.68
Can - Delay 1968
Grateful Dead - Road Trips Volume 2 Number 2
Grateful Dead - Download Series Volume 6 Carousel Ballroom, San Francisco, CA 3/17/68
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Winterland
Jefferson Airplane - Live at the Fillmore East
Magic Sam - Live at the Avant Garde June 22, 1968
Phil Ochs - There and Now: Live in Vancouver 1968
Santana - Live at the Fillmore 1968
Sly & the Family Stone - Live at the Fillmore East October 4th & 5th 1968
Robert Wyatt - '68
Neil Young - Sugar Mountain: Live at Canterbury House 1968


MORE INTERESTING ARCHIVAL RECORDINGS
Ornette Coleman - Complete 1968 Italian Tour
The Doors - Live at the Bowl '68
Grateful Dead - Dick's Picks Volume 22
Johnny Hallyday - Johnny History: Live Grenoble 1968
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Miami Pop Festival
The Incredible String Band - Live at the Fillmore 1968
Iron Butterfly - Fillmore East 1968
Skip James - The Complete Bloomington Indiana Concert March 30, 1968
Albert King - Wednesday Night in San Francisco + Thursday Night in San Francisco
Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention - Ahead of Their Time
Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention - Road Tapes: Kerrisdale Arena, Vancouver B.C. 25 August 1968


Disappointment of the year 1968

Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention - Cruising with Ruben & the Jets/Greasy Love Songs

I self-identify as a Zappa admirer, but when I launched this album I had high hopes that it would be a goofy piece of curio from the Zappa vault that critics are dismissing as novelty. First, I was annoyed to realize that Spotify listed the remastered 80s version as the official entry, so I tracked down the original mixes hidden under the moniker Greasy Love Songs. But then, it appeared clear to me that critics are ignoring this one for a reason: as a doo-wop parody, it's a bit of a failure, as only the frankly cretinous lyrics and sloppy performances give away the fact that we're not listening to just an incompetent doo-wop band (although a couple jokes on Side B and a guitar solo at the very end of the album do improve things a bit, but that's just too little too late). Zappa is just too reverential here, and I wish he went more full-on parody, like he did on "Go Cry on Somebody Else's Shoulder".


"Out there" album/disaster a.k.a. Q's favourite 1968 album

William Shatner, Captain Kirk of Star Trek - The Transformed Man

Famously and frequently mentioned as one of the most hilariously bad albums ever recorded, Shatner's first album (if one can call it that without a smirk) is a bit painful to sit through in its entirety, but it at least succeeded with me where Zappa failed, that is having me crack a smile. His cover of "Mr. Tambourine Man", coupled here with a piece of dialogs from the play Cyrano de Bergerac, is just irresistibly terrible.


Now, personal objective (just kidding) for the year 2018: review all the albums in the top 50 and find a sympathetic editor ready to publish a Top 50 obscure great albums for 1968's 50th anniversary. Or something.
Last edited by Pierre on Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hymie
Different Class
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Hymie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:38 pm

Pierre wrote:So, initially I told myself "let's do some re-listening, I haven't heard many of these unacclaimed 68 albums in ages" since most of what I listen to was released starting with the 70s funk & punk era. And then I was having fun, so I told myself "let's listen to the albums suggested by other people that I find intriguing". And then, since I was starting to have a pretty neat near-top 30, I told myself "let's look at those lists I'm working on to round out my top 30". And somewhere down the line, it just became about showing off my newfound knowledge :mrgreen:



Boy, you REALLY got carried away. I love it!

That Smoke album should be a cult classic.

Hymie
Different Class
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Hymie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:45 pm

Pierre wrote:10. Los Bravos - Contrabando


It's Los Brincos, not Los Bravos :-)

User avatar
Pierre
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Pierre » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:54 pm

Hymie wrote:
Pierre wrote:10. Los Bravos - Contrabando


It's Los Brincos, not Los Bravos :-)


Absolutely! Corrected.

Hymie
Different Class
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Poll: Your 10 Favorite Non Acclaimed Albums of 1968

Postby Hymie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:07 pm

I did not get enough ballots for the results to mean very much, but the clear top unacclaimed album of 1968 is:

Image


Return to “Music, music, music...”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 134 guests