Non acclaimed albums from 1968

Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Non acclaimed albums from 1968

Post by Hymie »

I am gonna do a series of posts spotlighting some of the good, yet non acclaimed albums from various years. Starting with 1968.

TEMPTATIONS - WISH IT WOULD RAIN
Released - April 1968
Billboard LP chart # 13 - 41 weeks

Includes 3 hit singles, "I Could Never Love Another (After Loving You)," "I Wish It Would Rain" and "Please Return Your Love to Me." Other strong tracks include " I Truly, Truly Believe" and " Gonna Give Her All the Love I've Got."

This is their last album before they starting to make more psychedelic, funky, topical songs like "Cloud Nine" and "Runaway Child, Running Wild." Also the last album with David Ruffin still in the group. Great harmony and beautifully sung love songs. The title track is perhaps Ruffin's best job ever at conveying emotion.

=======================================================================================

DELLS - THERE IS
Released - May 1968
Billboard LP chart # 29 - 29 weeks

Includes 4 hit singles, "There Is," "Stay in My Corner," "Wear It on Our Face" and "O-O I Love You." Other strong tracks include "Please Don't Change Me Now," and the gorgeous "Love Is So Simple." Also includes the original version of "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher," which was recorded before Jackie Wilson's version. "Close Your Eyes" is a great update on the 5 Keys hit from 1955.

This is a rock and roll hall of fame act that is virtually ignored by AOR rock fans. "Stay In My Corner" is one of the greatest slow jams in soul music history. The title track is a legendary production of what was one of the first modern soul records. There's no weak tracks on this killer album.

=======================================================================================

QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE - QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE
Released May 1968
Billboard LP chart # 63 - 25 weeks

I am surprised that their debut album here is not listed on AM. It has a 3.77 rating from 1,229 ratings on RYM, # 65 for 1968 in their rankings.

Here's a review from RYM:

SandyMc Oct 07 2009 5.00 stars

I love “Pride of Man”!!! To me it’s everything a rock song should be, a thundering prophetic voice in the same vein as “Bad Moon Rising”, except about twice as heavy, this song ROCKS. “Pride of Man” is the best song I’ve heard in about five years – last one was Strawbs “Witchwood”.

The rest of the album is all over the place, which I mean as a gigantic compliment. I mean it’s not just verse/chorus/verse/chorus, but within their own cohesive overall sound and style, just continuous beautiful musical progressions right through the album, even on the “poppy” songs. Their sound is unique and as different from the Dead and the Airplane as those two were from each other. More rock n’ rolly, a fantastic album, melding early Beatles/fifties strains and some distinctly Airplane/Doors-type moments with elements of jazz and Tijuana. Often sounds like a fifties band gone completely awol, and the hippie peace n’ love vibe is spot-on too. And great to dance to, especially “Pride of Man” and “Been Too Long.”

The album is on youtube:

[youtube-https]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWYNI3K5zS0&t=712s[/youtube-https]

CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL - CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL
Released July 1968
Billboard LP chart # 52 - 73 weeks

Surprised that this is not at least bubbling under here on AM. It's got a 3.73 rating with over 2800 ratings at RYM. The cover conveys the fact that they somewhat psychedelic sounding on this album, unlike their later albums. Contains hit singles "Susie Q" and "I Put A Spell On You," both of which are somewhat psychedelic. "Porterville" is a song they had been doing for years already, since they were known as the Golliwogs. My favorite track on the album is "Get Down Woman."

The album is on youtube but it's a reissue with extra tracks:

[youtube-https]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT3hngm ... XAm7GJGdu9[/youtube-https]

======================================================================================

IMPRESSIONS - THIS IS MY COUNTRY
Released October 1968
Billboard LP chart # 107 - 13 weeks

This one is bolded on RYM, with a 3.80 rating from 363 ratings, # 66 for 1968. It contains the hit singles "Fool For You" and the title track. "Stay Close To Me" was a Curtis Mayfield song that was a hit single for Major Lance.

It was their first album on Curtis Mayfield's own Curtom label. The first one where he had complete creative control.

Here's a couple of RYM reviews:

DavisAbram Jan 05 2010 5.00 stars
The arrangements on "This is My Country" are some of the best I've heard in a long time, and it's near impossible not to smile while listening to the record. Check out 'Love's Happenin';' it has an amazing horn section, and harpsichord that stands up to some of the best baroque-pop of the same era.

bigbullyweedave Jul 14 2012 4.50 stars
Lush arrangements and production, tracks ranging from beautiful soul songs to others with intelligent and at times political lyrics, and some absolute classic tracks like "They Don't Know", "Gone Away" and "Fool For You". An absolute classic.

The full album is on youtube:

[youtube-https]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrX9zX2 ... 8C38A25963[/youtube-https]

======================================================================================

JOHNNY RIVERS - REALIZATION
Released May-June 1968
Billboard LP chart # 5 - 41 weeks

I am surprised that this album has fallen out of favor so badly over the years. It was gigantic when it was out, and was considered to be pretty hip. Contains the hit singles "Summer Rain" and "Look To You Soul." Also enjoyable versions of "Whiter Shade of Pale" and "Positively 4th Street." Johnny takes a whack at "Hey Joe" too. "Celebration At Big Sur" was played on FM radio back then.

Some RYM reviews:

jmsmith Jan 20 2006 5.00 stars
A MASTERPIECE! This is one of the best albums of all time. A must for the good music lovers.
The bass here, played by the great Joe Osborn is a lesson for every bass-player.

moondoggieferg Jul 20 2008 4.00 stars
If you line this up with Dion's self-titled LP of the same year (the 'Abraham, Martin and John' one), you've got a couple of very good rock and roll singers with some great material a ways from their, errr, roots. Johnny Rivers has a fine voice and the arrangements here are really worth sinking your ears into.

Here was me thinking that the Dylan cover was really gonna be lame but, I tell you what, it's a fine rendition and what the band backing him get up to on this number alone is well worth hearing if what I'm briefly describing there in my first sentence sounds like your cup of tea.

If you're like me and still get confused by which Dylan song is which in those parts of his mid 60s canon with the funny titles, this is the one that goes "You got a lot of nerve...to say you are my friend....."

Excellent stuff throughout - and what proper 60s collection DOESN'T have 'Summer Rain'?

geldofpunk Aug 08 2016 3.50 stars
Rivers was perhaps best known for his hit "Secret Agent Man" in 1966 but Realization seems to be his lone dabble into the psych genre. A lot of artists were doing just that around this time, keen to jump on the bandwagon and be "hip". However, this is mostly adult oriented pop rock and baroque with blue eyed soul, folk and just the tiniest, ever so slight touch of psych. No trippy freakouts here but plenty of good tunes. Yeah, I actually like this one, the songs are good. Sure, a lot of them are covers but those songs can hardly be denied. He actually had a big hit off this album, "Summer Rain" causing this album to chart in the top 5. I guess riding the wave actually helps sometimes. Check out his cover of "Whiter Shade of Pale", which I actually might like more than the original (umm, maybe). Another highlight is "Look To Your Soul". Sure, Rivers had some help with this album from other people's songs but dang it...it's good. I don't care.

Getting late, I'll finish the rest of this tomorrow.
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: Non acclaimed albums from 1968

Post by Harold »

Invoking an album's RYM numbers while wondering why it doesn't appear on Acclaimed Music implies that there should be some correlation between the two, which is not the case. RYM's ratings are 100% user-generated, while Acclaimed Music is 100% based on critics' lists. True, most albums on AM also rank highly on RYM, but that's more a function of RYM's users being passionate about music and generally having good taste (if a little snobbish at times; an RYM forum thread about the latest overall chart update finds a number of members enthusiastically agreeing with a comment that Nevermind moving ahead of The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady on the chart is an unforgivable crime against humanity).
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

For Bruce's information, all the albums he mentioned here are featured in Henrik's larger spreadsheet that I'm working on, except for the Johnny Rivers one, which means that all these albums except for Johnny Rivers' have appeared in at least one list from the critics. But among these, only Creedence Clearwater Revival (and maybe the Temptations' Wish It Would Rain and Quicksilver Messenger Service, but that's doubtful) has a small chance of becoming a bubbler whenever the albums update will happen, and that chance is very small. That's only an observation, I'm not saying they wouldn't deserve it.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Harold wrote:Invoking an album's RYM numbers while wondering why it doesn't appear on Acclaimed Music implies that there should be some correlation between the two, which is not the case. RYM's ratings are 100% user-generated, while Acclaimed Music is 100% based on critics' lists.
Yes, I am fully aware of that, but it is odd when an album that is highly regarded on RYM is not listed here.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Continuing....

TEN YEARS AFTER - UNDEAD
Released August 1968
Billboard LP chart # 115 - 14 weeks

This album has a 3.77 on RYM based on 649 ratings. It ranks as # 85 from 1968 on that site. It's a live album, and the highlight is "I'm Going Home."

Some RYM reviews:

mister_y Oct 14 2012 5.00 stars
9 days today since Alvine Lee passed away. Truely one of the worlds most unique guitar players ever existed he was... Pure bittersweet fun it was to relisten again all his Ten Yeras After and solo back-catalogue and worthwhile to reconsider this splendid live album to give what it rightly deserves in time's measures.

bluesman86 Dec 30 2010 5.00 stars
Pieza maestra!, canción tras canción demostrando todas las habilidades instrumentales de cada integrante de la banda con excelentes solos de guitarra de Alvin, solos de bateria excelentes momentos de teclado hacen de este disco una pieza fundamental de blues.

TRANSLATION - Masterpiece !, song after song demonstrating all the instrumental abilities of each member of the band with excellent guitar solos from Alvin, excellent drums and excellent keyboard moments make this record a fundamental piece of blues.

fieldmouse Jun 28 2016 4.50 stars
so, maybe it was the M-M-Moment (i was caffeinated to an obscene level and electrified on the hi-way) but. how do you even say it?

alvin lee's playing is like if charlie christian & charlie parker were fissioned together in the ghostworld by the radioactive echoes of a lich's violent birth & then driven to possess a newly risen corpse. (UNDEAD !!!)

how is one of the genre tags for this not hard bop? emphasis on the HARD. because let it be known in the sacred places of the earth -- be they church or sunken dryad's altar:

alvin lee bops the everloving FUCK out of 'At the Woodchopper's Ball.'

every time he touches the damn guitar i start sweating & i swear smoke is coming through my speakers. and not like a little. like a lot. pouring in clouds and clouds and suffocating everyone around me.

and the drummer is SWINGIN. like SWINGIN. he had to have split himself open to let his skeleton 'God of Thunder' all over "Summertime." maybe the smoke is instead roiling stormcloud. and i'm sweating acid.

and the corpse tooth crudity of the bellowing: GOHOMEMYBABY!!! i don't want no nicety in my bellow. i've got holes in all my shoes. and the clipped and litely acerbic accents in the Chat between songs must be deliberate obscurantism -- these jazz runs are barbarian bludgeons.

&& see too -- it's got the CAVEMAN BLUES THUNK wut iommi & leigh stephens got. i see pale grassed hills and a figure come a-creeping. now from the electric green of the foaming turf i'm bubbling back into cold black bones.

M-M-Moments (Alvin Lee's guitar irradiating my skeleton, i mean) like this, rare as they are, call for some sort of profound & opinionated sass, so how's this as my ignorant time travelling toss off: how the hell did eric clapton get his name written on walls when Alvin Lee was walking this godforsaken earth. i mean. i MAY BE WRONG, but can you HEAR how far i got my hip kicked out rite now?

eat a shoe, clapton. Alvin Lee lives! he's just undead! i wanna smash this review with a damn hammer.

Undead is a well produced "live" album in 1968 that sounds a bit ahead of it's time. Most "live" stuff from this period was badly recorded, not this. Hard heavy jamming blues tunes with an occasional slower track. The guitar blazes throughout and the original of "I'm Going Home" is spectacular. Play this puppy loud.

RIP Alvin Lee

The full album is on youtube, from vinyl:
===================================================================================

TOMMY JAMES & THE SHONDELLS - CRIMSON AND CLOVER
Released December 1968
Billboard LP chart # 8 - 35 weeks

This album is listed as being from 1969 in most places, but in Tommy's autobiography he says that it was a Christmas 1968 release. It's got a 3.63 from 296 ratings on RYM. I have tried for years to get them to list it as December, 1968, but since the autobiography is not on line anywhere, they won't take my word for it on the 1968 release.

It includes the hits "Crimson And Clover," "Do Something To Me" and "Crystal Blue Persuasion." Also the original version of "Sugar On Sunday," which was covered and became a hit single for the Clique. The LP version of "Crimson And Clover" is like 2 minutes longer than the hit single, mostly because of an extended psychedelic break.

fredonia Feb 21 2010 4.50 stars
If you're looking for Hendrix, this might not blow you away. However, C & C can get your acid blood boiling. I found a cheap copy in the basement of my local record store. Somehow, almost without thought on my part, it gets the spins or at least jogs my brain in it's direction. Flawed masterpiece might be a little strong - but do not write this off as "bubblegum".

I just added another half star. "I am a Tangerine" is the reason why. What does it mean? Who knows? But, damn it, who cares?

recorddigger Sep 17 2017 4.00 stars
Willowy Pop Psych Confections
Their best album with nice fuzz ('I'm Alive') and loads of pop psych arrangements.

The album is on youtube, from vinyl.
==================================================================================

JETHRO TULL - THIS WAS
Released October 1968
Billboard LP chart # 62 - 17 weeks

They were already a prog band here on their debut, but not on every track. The best cut IMO is
"Some Day the Sun Won't Shine for You," which is good blues rock. The other highlight for me is "Beggar's Farm."

The album has a 3.49 on RYM from over 2200 ratings. It's somewhat uneven, but if you like their later stuff this is definitely worth a listen.

A couple of RYM reviews:

dickwiggle Mar 22 2007 5.00 stars
With the prevelance of blues rock bands in the late 60s "This Was" was a refreshing record. There are elements of jazz, blues, classical and some great guitar rock all in one album. For die-hard Tull fans is album will not be as accessable as the other 'artsy' records. The co-founder left after this record to form Blodwyn Pig. Jethro Tull's "This Was" and Blodwyn Pig's "A Head Rings Out" both of which featured Mick Abrams are both must haves in my opinion.

Ambrosius Sep 29 2002 5.00 stars
A great example of a band's first album in which the band has a raw and unique sound that was never quite duplicated. Even their second album has a distinctly sound.This Was almost seems like the lone album of a Jethro Tull that only existed in 1968. An all-time great lost classic album. Moody, bluesy, jazzy, This is Jethro Tull at their very best and as you've never heard them before.

The album is on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2shXfsq ... yAWH15AMa0

=================================================================================

SAM & DAVE - I THANK YOU
Released October 1968
Did not make Billboard LP chart

Well rated on RYM with a 3.81 from 154 ratings. It's # 95 for 1968 there. Just needs some more exposure.

Hit singles are "I Thank You" and "You Don't Know What You Mean to Me." "Wrap It Up" is a great B side of a single.

Some RYM reviews:

farfisagod Jan 14 2012 4.50 stars
The arrangements and production here are a just bit smoother..they got some strings ....than their earlier LPs. However, that said this is still the real meal deal. The last in a string of nearly flawless soul LPs. All killer, no filler.

Goregirl Nov 09 2009 4.50 stars
Sam & Dave are a duo I've heard mentioned many a time as one of the great soul artists, but yet I couldn't have named a song they had performed (except "Soul Man"). It's a cryin' shame because they are really fabulous, they have the sort of groovy rock drive to their songs that early Al Green has (but I'm sure he got the idea from them). They are extremely soulful, they actually have a bit of grit to them, and they harmonize, so I can see why they were so important. They do use the sort of string section that was ever so popular at the time with soul music, but it's not a bad thing it works well here. The songs are pretty fantastic thanks to Isaac Hayes and David Porter who wrote much of the material on the album. "I Thank You", "Wrap It Up", "Don't Turn Your Heater", "Love Is After Me", and "Ain't That A Lot Of Love" were just a few of my favorites. Their cover of "These Arms Of Mine" is quite good too though I'll always prefer Otis Redding's version. Their cover of Eddie Floyd's "You Don't Know What You Mean To Me" is really great too. I can't really find one fault with this album except that I wish it were longer. I think anyone looking to see why Sam & Dave would be as easily sold as I was after this album.

COL-CD-7759 CD (2006)
jmontel Apr 26 2008 4.50 stars
My favorite Sam & Dave song is on this one: You Don't Know What You Mean to Me. I also love their version of That Lucky Old Sun. Sam really give it all up on that one. This album was also recorded very very well.

soulmakossa Oct 14 2007 4.50 stars
Sam & Dave's last album recorded with the Stax houseband, with songs written by the creative genius duo of Isaac Hayes and David Porter.

The Black Gladiators gave it their all on what was to be their last commercially successful longplayer. The stupidly funky, electrifying "I Thank You" has Sam Moore testifyin' like crazy on the intro, and some zany fills on Hammond are thrown in for good measure after every verse.

One of their most overlooked gems follows: the heavenly, mid-tempo soul stomper "Everybody Got to Believe in Somebody", brings together the grit and grease of Southern Soul with the sophistication of Chicago - beautifully arranged strings and brass and a stellar vocal from Moore and Prater, adlibbing, wailing and belting all over the place. Tremendous song.

After a respectfully delivered, well-executed and divinely sweet version of Otis Redding's classic "These Arms of Mine", Sam & Dave get down to shake their funky bone with the brilliant "Wrap It Up"; originally the B-side to "I Thank You", "Wrap It Up" has it all; the relentless groove, the sizzling brassy riff and Duck Dunn's pumping bass. One of the duo's absolute masterpieces of sweat-inducing, blazing Southern Soul. Absolutely crucial.

Dave Prater's husky tenor opens "If I Had a Girl Like You", a slow burning bluesy ballad that has Sam adlibbing in the back. Again, tastefully arranged strings and some attractive piano playing on the chorus. After the first verse the gladiators trade places, with Sam churning out another gospel-inspired vocal.

Eddie Floyd wrote the incredibly busy "You Don't Know What You Mean to Me". Ominous piano plunkin' (kinda like the melody played during those 'bad guy' scenes in old silent movies) make way for a downhome, country-fried groove that struts on mercilessly. The horn-heavy outro is preposterous... Man, soul-ism right there...

Crashing tambourines and a fat, burping sax guide Sam & Dave through the heavily percussive "Don't Turn Your Heater On" while the lightly arranged, heavy beatin' "Talk to the Man" is carried by an equally thick, gutbucket groove - Al Jackson on the drumstool, ya dig!

"Love Is After Me" probably is the poppiest tune here, with its trebled bass and subdued horns, but the magic of Sam & Dave's vocal is still there, raw and unrefined as ever.

Steve Cropper delivers six-stringed goodness for another highly funky exercise next: "Ain't That a Lot of Love" is rock solid pacy Stax Soul and just smells of fried chicken, red beans and rice and sweet potato pie. So intense...

Nonetheless, the album closes on a more laidback note. "Don't Waste That Love" harkens back to the romantic R&B ballads of the early '60s, while Double Dynamite's take on the unavoidable "That Lucky Old Sun" is quite an odd picking... Those voices are grand as always, however, and the arrangement is quite soulful. Also, it is the perfect track for loungin' after such a tour de force of unrepentant, died-in-the-wool, hard sockin' old-school Southern Soul.

Sam & Dave remained with Atlantic Records for awhile, but were cut off from Stax. Their last singles failed to capture the spirit of their Memphis recordings, although Sam Moore did record a great solo album in 1970 - one that was eventually released in the 1990s!

'I Thank You', nevertheless, is a marvelous epilogue to the legacy of Soul music's most thrilling, satisfying and soulful duo.

=================================================================================

CLARENCE CARTER - THIS IS CLARENCE CARTER
Released October 1968
Billboard LP chart # 200 - 2 weeks

Unfortunately albums did not become really popular in the black community until the 1970s. Only a few albums from the 1960s became real popular. Clarence Carter had been around releasing singles for 3 or 4 years before he finally made an album here off the success of his huge hit single "Slip Away."

The album has a 3.74 on RYM from 174 ratings. It was not available for decades after its initial run, so most people are not familiar with it. Other than the magnificent "Slip Away," there's also "Looking For A Fox" and "Funky Fever" and a new version of"Thread The Needle," which he had a hit with in 1967 when he was recording for the Fame label. This album is on Atlantic. I know that Duane Allman played on "Slip Away," but I don't think he is on the rest ofd the album.

Here are some RYM reviews:

Zappaholic Jan 14 2016 4.50 stars
Now this is a Soul recording that I'll be listening to quite a lot. Clarence Carter's gritty, Blues influenced Soul music is just outstanding. The music is infectious, and the lyrics are sharp and funny. You can tell that he would be one of those musicians that very easily banters with a crowd and tells stories during a concert. He's got that charisma.
Published

soulmakossa Oct 14 2007 4.00 stars
Clarence Carter, the Blues Man with the gutbucket chuckle, talented guitarist, tongue-in-cheek lyricist and purveyor of downhome soulful grooves, waxed his first solo album in '68, recording most of it at the fabled FAME studios in Muscle Shoals, which became something of a home base during his Atlantic years.

'This Is Clarence Carter' opens on a brooding, low key note - not quite in sync with the carefree, humorous image of the big, blind soul belter. "Do What You Gotta Do", written by Jim Webb, is a wonderful, melancholic mid tempo ballad, soaked in Barry Beckett's keyboard and smothered in rich, wailing brass.

Together with FAME owner Rick Hall Clarence co-wrote the blazing soul opus "Looking for a Fox", riding a relentless groove and featuring a hilarious spoken interlude. Chanking guitars, fatback drums, pounding bass and screaming horns... Soul heaven right here...

Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham's "Slippin' Around" sports an unorthodox bossa nove-like beat, reminiscent of Ray Charles' "What'd I Say", while Carter's signature chuckle is heard the first time on the romping funk rocker "I'm Qualified", sharing the same unique, infectious groove that was first explored on Wilson Pickett's "In the Midnight Hour".

Poignant is the only word that suitably describes Clarence's original "I Can't See Myself"... aside the wry title, the track itself is beautifully sad, showing everyone that Carter was a more than apt balladeer.

But the man gets FUNKY here above all... as is proven with three dance oriented fingersnappin' tracks; "Wind It Up", featuring more funny adlibs and a fierce organ solo, the highly syncopated, teasing "Thread the Needle" and the smokin', irresistible "Funky Fever" - all written by Carter himself.

Then there's a truly overwhelming rendition of Clay Hammond's "Part Time Love" - immortalized by such acts as Little Johnny Taylor - that opens with a greasy, nitty gritty guitar lick and climaxes in a funky stew of thumping drums and bass, slithering brass and Carter's full-throttled pipes.

Naturally, "Slip Away" was the big hit and the record that kick started Carter's career. And rightfully so; a delicious mid-tempo soul waxing carried by a catchy, scratching guitar pattern, subdued horns and Clarence's massive voice. A gem.

"She Ain't Gonna Do Right", courtesy of the Oldham/Penn partnership, brings more Alabama country to the mix, with Beckett filling in a catchy, persistent organ riff on the chorus.

But the LP ends as it began: melancholic, introspective and somewhat moody. "Set Me Free" is a beautiful mid paced ballad, sporting another one of Carter's passionate vocal deliveries, while backup singers add some mourning wails.

A giant of an album from a giant of the genre. And much more was to come.

The album is on youtube!
===============================================================================

More later!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

In this new batch, all the albums except for the Jethro Tull one are in Henrik's larger spreadsheet. I don't think any of them stands a chance of making it on AM in the next albums update, except perhaps the Ten Years After one, but odds are low.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Some more now:

THE CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN - THE CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN
Released June 1968
Billboard LP chart# 7 - 24 weeks

Again I am surprised that the critics did not like this one enough to get it on the AM list. Brown was a black Englishman who did theatrical Psychedelic Rock. The single "Fire" was a huge surprise worldwide hit in 1968. It got to number one in the UK and number two in the USA. Pete Townshend is listed as the "associate producer" on the album. It's got a 3.72 from over 1600 ratings on RYM, # 73 for 1968 on the site.

Some RYM reviews:

jshopa Jan 03 2012 5.00 stars

'There's only one way out - go bathe yourself in fire!'

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown sounds as if every significant figure in late-sixties psychedelia got together to make the ultimate psych-rock album. He has the theatrical approach of Alex Harvey, the vocal intonation and fusion-jazz leanings of Frank Zappa, the apparent mental instability of Syd Barrett or Roky Erickson, the cryptic poetic style of Jim Morrison, and it sounds like he's being backed up by a conglomeration of Iron Butterfly or Deep Purple with Fred Wesley's Horny Horns. It has all the symphonic eccentricities of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band but as a concept album of Satan and Hell. Necessarily, the deranged soul of Screamin' Jay Hawkins turns up (although Brown's performance of "I Put a Spell on You" is still not as frightening or intense as Hawkins).

So we descend into the maelstrom. The sound of this album is incredible, all the delirious organ, jazzy drum breaks and an abundance of little orchestral touches. Arthur Brown's dramatic performance is constantly spiked with moments where he shrieks a phrase or makes dread pronouncements, including the iconic 'I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE AND I BRING YOU...' However, "Fire" itself is probably one of the most subdued songs on the A-side, as throbbing and insistent as it is. The other songs are much more thundering and unhinged. "Come and Buy" in particular, with its demonic introduction 'God, brother... you lie' is especially out there, with a bridge section that sounds eerily like Zappa.

Side B is a bit more controlled altogether, but only a bit really. It kicks off with a grungy, down and dirty take of "I Put a Spell on You" which is a lot more doom-y than the original (when Brown says 'you better stop the things you do, I ain't lyin'' it definitely comes off more as the wrath of a vengeful God than as a scorned lover). "Spontaneous Apple Creation" is very demented and off-key and much more of an acid trip than a descent into armageddon ('...and 3000 people ate one strawberry!'), but "Rest Cure" lives up somewhat to its name by being sort of like the Crazy World of Arthur Brown version of Motown soul (actually, it sounds a lot like Bowie's late-seventies excursions into blue-eyed soul).

While the second side is not quite as viscerally exciting as the first, it is still never less than interesting and the album is arguably the single most essential hard psychedelic album of the sixties, doing everything that anyone in the genre did and doing it all brilliantly with a strong thematic continuity.

This reissue of it has a peculiar approach to the bonus tracks in that it features side A in mono prior to the full album in stereo (and no side B featured in mono), which I suppose is appropriate given the A-side's singular importance as well as the way that doubling up on it makes it even more of a frightening spiral journey. The stereo version, notably, gives a lot more punch to the symphonic sections, and is the more essential version.

Babe_N_Co Sep 14 2011 5.00 stars

Set the Ocean on Fire
“Dynamic explosions in my brain shattered me to drops of rain falling from a yellow sky orange faces to an opened eye. Stop me, hold me back as I jerk. Stop me, voices from all those at work”. The Crazy World of Arthur Brown is psychedelia at its prime and extremity. It’s this kind of art madness when even nightmares turn flowery and beautiful. “I put a spell on you, because you're mine” threatens us Arthur Brown and he does it successfully.

Crazyworldof Nov 21 2014 5.00 stars
One of the greatest albums, certainly one of the very best from the sixties and probably one of my favourite three albums of all time . Every track is an absolute gem but the best is saved until last. "Child Of My Kingdom" is a slow moody workout with jazzy piano by the late Vincent Crane, whose work on this record went a long way to elevating the album to it's lofty position in my collection.

What was side one of the album (tracks 6-10 on this CD issue) can be considered a suite in it's own right. It is a wonderful collection of songs. I wouldn't mind betting that "Fire" is the one song I have heard more than any other in my collection, what with radio plays and it's appearance on v/a collections. In isolation, I could easily have got bored with it by now, rather as many other listeners with Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to heaven" and Free's "All Right Now". In the suite, however, it still remains fresh and vibrant. The track "Time/Confusion" rivals "Child Of My Kingdom" for the most enjoyable song on the album; the former has a quiet intro where the Hammond / Leslie combo is heard growling and throbbing - more so than any other recorded rock song that I can recall - it is a magical moment (for those of us that are Hammond and Leslie freaks).

There is also a wonderful cover of "I Put a Spell On You", which rivals Creedence Clearwater Revival's version for best ever version (check out Audience's effort as well).

On a side note, for anyone who, like me, wants more of the same but finds the other Crazy World issue "Strangelands" immensely dissatisfying, especially as it is nothing like this, then I can heartily recommend the solo album by former Crazy World bassist Nick Greenwood Cold Cuts

The album is on youtube, but it seems to have some bonus tracks:

CANNED HEAT - LIVING THE BLUES
Released November 1968
Billboard LP chart # 18 - 17 weeks

A double album that is well regarded on RYM. It's got a 3.75 from 518 ratings. The second record is live. Contains the hit studio version of "Goin' Up The Country."

One RYM review:

ideaboy2006 Jun 30 2008 5.00 stars
Raw. Down and Dirty. From the Gut. This is where psychedelia and the blues meet.

It's also pretty clear in listening to early Canned Heat that they were incredibly influential. Certainly the Doors were paying attention... by the time they got to Morrison Hotel (two years after "Living The Blues" was released), they were thinking 'yeah, this is what it's really all about.' Don't get me wrong, the early Doors albums are all masterpieces. But I believe that in the Doors' minds, it was time to get down to basics and strip away any pretense. Also, listen and consider that this was released in 1968, and 3 years later, ZZ Top arrives. There can be no question that Dusty, Billy and Frank had been listening.

Most of the album is on a youtube playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGTQ1OW ... -SYajezsa0

MORE LATER!
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

Pierre wrote:In this new batch, all the albums except for the Jethro Tull one are in Henrik's larger spreadsheet. I don't think any of them stands a chance of making it on AM in the next albums update, except perhaps the Ten Years After one, but odds are low.
Interesting. Maybe when I finish we can vote on which of these albums we'd most like to see move on to the AM site.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

errant post
Last edited by Hymie on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

WILSON PICKETT - I'M IN LOVE
Released February 1968
Billboard LP chart # 70 - 15 weeks

This album rates well on RYM with a 3.80, but it only has 123 ratings. Hit singles are "Jealous Love," "I'm In Love," "Stag-O-Lee" and "She's Lookin' Good," which was a hit in 1967 for Rodger Collins. "Don't Cry No More" and "Bring It On Home To Me" are standouts as well, as Pickett sings big hits by Bobby Bland and Sam Cooke respectively.

soulmakossa Oct 15 2007 5.00 stars
'I'm In Love' is a special album... It is special because it swoops from upbeat, gospel country church soul stompin' to heartbreaking blues wailing, and from exhilirated to depressed moods.

It's also special as two Soul heroes contributed greatly to the effort: Sax legend King Curtis and writer/singer/guitarist genius Bobby Womack.

The beautiful experience starts off with the brooding, haunting "Jealous Love"... Aside Pickett's resigned, hurtin' vocals, it's the plodding, spooky groove that gives this gem it's dark undertone. It's perfected with some subdued, infectious strings.

After that, Pickett knocks you over the head with a stomping, loud version of the deathless "Stagger Lee", with some mean, mean brass underpinning Pickett's testafyin'.

The groove is sustained on the sweaty romper "That Kind of Love", co-written by Don Covay, but it all ends with the BEAUTIFUL, oh so sweet ballad "I'm In Love". Truly one of Pickett's finest songs, this epic tale of love 'n' romance was penned by Bobby Womack, who is also playing the incredibly smooth guitar parts here. Can't get enough of this one... Maybe it is hearing the Wild, Wicked Pickett singing such a sensitive song?

But the joy doesn't stop there: A nice, steady rolling and mellow take on King Curtis' "Hello Sunshine" is just the kind of warm bath you need after the previous declaration of love.

"Don't Cry No More" steers thangs right back to Groovesville - with a power packed sax solo by Mr. King Curtis - and the momentum is sustained with "We've Got to Have Love", a mildly political tune that also is the sole original here.

Next, Pickett pays hommage to the legendary Sam Cooke through a mesmerizing, bluesy take on "Bring It on Home to Me". Just lay back and let this wash over you...

The engines are running up high once more on the ferocious floorshaker "She's Lookin' Good", a cover of Rodger Collins' smash in 1967. A song that seems tailor-made for Wilson Pickett.

Nonetheless, the album's finale is steeped in the melancholy of the title-track and the opener. Bobby Womack's "I've Come a Long Way" is a gentle, dramatic ballad that is the perfect ending to an album this DEEP.

redandherbie Jun 22 2012 5.00 stars
Soul lps from the 1960’s do not make many appearances on critic’s “greatest lps” lists. Aside from “Live at the Apollo” and a couple obligatory Otis or Aretha lps few are seen alongside the rock lps that are consistently cited.

There is some justification for this. Even in the 60’s, soul was still primarily a singles genre, and many of the lps released, even by exceptionally talented artists, simply don’t work . Many are marred by uneven song selection and inappropriate backup, and of course, there are the misguided attempts to record standards that many artists attempted or were talked into. It is a fact, that with many artists, the greatest hits lps or CD career overviews are the way to go.

Still, there are plenty of exceptions to this, and when lps like this one fall through the cracks and are barely acknowledged I have to wonder if the critics, many of whom profess to be champions of black music, are doing their listening.

Virtually everything works on this lp. It is Wilson Pickett’s best, and is one of the best lps, of any genre, to be released in the 1960s. Pickett was one of the great soul singers, and he is at the top of his intense form here. Whether on uptempo numbers, or on tender ballads such as the title tune, he delivers. When, on the hit Stagger Lee, he says “one thing about it, that will teach the rest of you gamblers a lesson” you believe him.

While this is Pickett’s show, there is plenty of credit to go around. The Memphis session cats were also in top form and the arrangements and production are exemplary. Listen to the horns ( some of which were evidently overdubbed) add to the excitement on the ending of “That Kind of Love.” It is a shame the background singers are not credited, since they add much on many occasions, especially on the title track. The soulful guitar on that track is beautiful also and Bobby Womack deserves special mention both for his songwriting and instrumental contributions.

Three hits are included and they may be the highlights, but there is really no filler here. I particularly like “That Kind of Love,” “Don’t Cry No More” and “Jealous Love.” Pickett does a great job with Sam Cooke’s “Bring It On Home to Me” also.

I got my copy of this lp in a Woolworth bargain bin way back in the late 60s. It knocked me out and inspired me to track down Pickett’s other lps and to check out other soul artist’s releases. It remains one of my favorites (desert island material) and I think it deserves inclusion on any list of great 1960’s lps.

Most of the album is on a youtube playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UaaK7M ... HINseRMPPs

==================================================================================

THE MOVE - THE MOVE
Released March 1968
Did not chart in the USA. I can't find my UK album chart book right now, but Wiki says that it got to # 15 in the UK.

The album has a 3.68 on RYM from 685 ratings. It includes the UK top 5 singles "Fire Brigade" and "Flowers In The Rain." Another standout track for me is their unusual version of "Zing! Went the Strings of My Heart," done in the style that the Coasters did it in. The album is often compared to
"Odessey and Oracle."

indiesoc Sep 04 2013 5.00 stars
It's all a matter of taste: if you like concise, ultracatchy 2 minute pop songs, you will probably like this album. Shazam, the album that follows, is much more of a typical classic rock record, though it has its moments. Of the pop/rock albums I've heard from the sixties, this trails just Odessey and Oracle, Village Green Preservation Society, and maybe Rubber Soul as having the catchiest songs.

psychlove May 31 2016 4.50 stars
Psych Pop Majesty
The Move's take on psychedelia is in a similar vein to The Zombies with their album of the same year Odessey and Oracle. That is to say it's not very psychedelic, rather just very well made pop rock tracks with light touches of experimentation, though I would say this is album is probably a bit more psychedelic than Odessey.

Side 1 of this album is immaculate you have seven tracks of pop majesty each one providing a brilliant catchy chorus, great harmonies and lovely instrumentation, but nothing very progressive. "Flowers In The Rain" is the particular highlight of side 1 for me and was released as a stand alone single by them in the previous year I believe. There's also a half decent cover of Moby Grape's great "Hey Grandma" too that ends this side.

Side 2 starts with "Useless Information" which is my favourite track off this album with it's fantastic vocal melodies and interesting lyrics which are as profound as we get on this record. Then the album starts to explore different sounds with "Zing! Went The Strings Of My Heart" which is an old fashioned doowop tune. The rest of the album returns again to the pop rock sound but with a bit more unconventionality amongst the instrumentation than most of the tracks off the first side, but it's still quite conventional music compared to what else was going on in '68. The album finishes off with "Cherry Blossom Clinic" which would be revisited on their next album "Shazam".

But all in all this is a very strong psych pop album and delivers more than a handful of catchy immaculate tracks to sing along too. I have to say I'm slightly confused as to why The Zombies Odessey and Oracle is considered to be of a much higher calibre as I find both that album and this to be very similar in terms of quality and sound. So suffice to say if you are a fan of The Zombies like myself you will find a a lot to enjoy on this release, it's a great record.

popphil Apr 21 2016 4.50 stars
There are so many great songs on this debut album by The Move that listening to it is a mind-blowing experience.

The full album is not on youtube, but ceck out this track:
================================================================================

SAGITTARIUS - PRESENT TENSE
Released July 1968
Did not chart

Gary Usher and Curt Boettcher were the main guys here, but supposedly Glen Campbell is the lead singer on the hit single "My World Fell Down." Bruce Johnston and Terry Melcher were also around. Boettcher was the brains behind the Association. The album has a 3.68 at RYM with over 900 ratings.

Some RYM reviews:

garymaher Oct 14 2006 5.00 stars
Love this record. It's so dreamy. Another Time is a sunshine pop standout in the same league as Bryan MacLean's best songs with Love. Song to the Magic Frog, despite the odd title, seems born out of an aching desperation that comes right off the disc and makes you sad. My World Fell Down would have been one of the Beach Boys' best songs, if they had done it. The rest of the record runs from subtle beauty to campy 60's fare, but always makes you smile, even if sadly.

fairyeee May 21 2006 5.00 stars
Wow! This is absolutely something brilliant. It is a grower, there is something smashingly fascinating in it... such qualities are only familiar to masterpieces like – well, if talking about the 1960s – Pet Sounds, Magical Mystery Tour, Abbey Road and Wake Up... It's Tomorrow.

The story begins with "Another Time." A superb opener. "Song of the Magic Frog" is almost that good – it solidifies the feel of a fine album, while finally ending up to be the worst (a/k/a least good) song on the disc. "You Know I've Found a Way" is even better, and "The Keeper of the Games" still even better. However, after these four songs a fear is raised: is this going to be such 'cosy' stuff to the end, will I be fed up with it? By "Glass", the position suddenly changes circumstantially. The melancholic but driving and more than slightly psychedelic feel expressed in the song is far from its predecessors. Clearly a song which contains many levels of meaning... and fascination. (A most surprising musical connection: The accompaniment of a 1979 Boney M. song called "Oceans of Fantasy" is strangely reminiscent of "Glass"!)

"Would You Like to Go." Back to the land that you and I once knew? Yes! By this song the extraordinary nature of the album is unmistakably solidified. "My World Fell Down" follows, having the worst starting point on the album – after "Would You Like to Go" it first sounds like a uselessly gloomy one, even though its 'classic pop' capacities can't be mistaken. Within further listens the song grows dramatically, especially while the version of Present Tense I have contains the more fun-tinged, more psychedelic single version as a bonus track. I prefer that version, anyway. Be this or that, "My World Fell Down" contains both Beatles and Beach Boys influences, which means good.

All the rest is terrific, too... "Hotel Indiscreet" possibly isn't the best song title I have heard, but the song itself is fine. "I'm Not Living Here" sounds typically excellent, and quite much like an Association record. "Musty Dusty" is not very special, but as a gentle moment before the undisguisedly psychedelic "The Truth Is Not Real" – like calm before the storm – it works fine. (My version also contains a bonus track called "Lonely Girl"; even that one is very good.)

A fantastic achievement. Perhaps that one classic hit is missing ("Would You Like to Go" is closest for me, but it is more 'really nice cup of tea' kind). But if Present Tense was perfect, I think I wouldn't be here writing these words (lucky you). This album once again reminds me of how great music, perhaps literally, can move mountains.

The full album is on youtube:
NAZZ - NAZZ
Released October 1968
Billboard LP chart # 118 - 26 weeks

Surprised that this cult classic has not made a mark with enough critics to get a mention on AM. It contains both sides of their single (Hello It's Me / Open My Eyes) that are each listed in the songs section of AM. This album was going for $35 - $40 already in the late 1970s. In those days none of these albums were still in print, so you had to buy an original copy just to get the music.

Some reviews:

mofoking Jun 04 2007 5.00 stars
Popular history often gives the impression that rock music was made exclusively by a bunch of Flower-Toting-Tidied-Wearing-Shower-Dodging Californians. The honest truth is while the media was documenting San Francisco watching a blurry world buzz by, the rest of the country weren’t afraid of a little R and R.

Philadelphia’s Nazz bare a unique status in Rock & Roll history. Taking their cues from the British rock scene, they are sometimes credited as the America’s first “anglophile band” (Paul Revere & the Raiders anybody?). Their school boy harmonies accompanied by an electrified shower of sonic madness sounded like the Who paying homage to Cream. No joke!!! In retrospect, the Nazz provided a link between the sixties beat movement and the harder pop rock of the seventies.

This, their self-titled debut LP, consists of savage garage rockers, extended guitar jams, pure pop and high energy blues. Todd Rundgren plays guitar as if he snagged a light off of Jeff Beck’s torch only to hand it over to Wayne Kramer during the Back in the USA sessions a year or two later. The drummer, Thom Moonie, this guy pounds the skins as if he is calling the great Keith Moon to defend his crown. The kid actually stood a chance.

The Who-isms don’t stop there. The album opens with a riff that tips its hat to ‘Can’t Explain’ then continues with a track list designed to make Townshend shake in his boots. Again, they may have stood a chance had they not been tucked away in Philly. Of course their legendary poor management didn’t help.

What really pushes Nazz over the top is Rundgen’s talent for balladry. Both ‘Crowded’ and ‘If That’s the Way You Feel’ are of equal quality to the compositions Love had penned. Todd’s adult contemporary solo hit ‘Hello, It’s Me’ appears on this album in its original and much rawer order.

The Nazz’s influence, if not always acknowledged, is present in the music of artists such as Big Star, The Raspberries & Cheap Trick. If fact, this Nazz may be regarded the premier "Power Pop" LP. Many of the Nazz’s American successors were better due to their short existence.

tagomago Aug 26 2007 5.00 stars
A perfect debut if there ever was one. The Nazz prove themselves to be the East Coasts equivalent to Arthur Lee and Love. An excellent blend of hard rockers and lush without being over-the-top ballads make this an interesting listen. The bonus tracks, while unessential are an interesting listen. Highly recommended.

06076-86362-2 CD (2006)
tymeshifter Jun 27 2011 4.50 stars
The Nazz were what one might describe as a high quality garage band. Their song writing was very commercially viable, and they were able to acquire some decent production, but their style of performing was strongly rooted in the garage vein. I find it quite ponderous that they often bristled at the suggestion that they were a psychedelic band. Psych influences abound on this album. Grades - 1 A, 3 A-'s, 2 B+'s, 3 B-'s, and a C.

The full album is on youtube from vinyl:

PERCY SLEDGE - TAKE TIME TO KNOW HER
Released May 1968
Billboard LP chart # 148 - 6 weeks

Like most soul albums of this era, this one was practically ignored. It has a 3.63 on RYM, but only from a criminally low 52 ratings. Contains great hit singles, "Take Time To Know Her," "Sudden Stop," "Out of Left Field" and "Cover Me," as well as cult classic "It's All Wrong, But It's Alright."

A couple of reviews:

RDTEN1 Oct 03 2014 4.00 stars
How good was this album ? Well, as far as I'm concerned, it would be on my desert island dozen listing ... Produced by Quin Ivy and Marlin Greene, 1968's "Take Time To Know Her" may not have been the most diverse collection you've ever heard and it may have lacked a hit as big as 'When a Man Loves a Woman', but song for song, this was one of Sledge's most impressive release. Admittedly Sledge didn't have the broadest musical palette you've come across. Add to that, his voice was fairly limited and probably too gruff and quivering for many folks. Similarly, he had a strong preference for ballads. Exemplified by material like the heartrending title track, 'Feed the Flame', 'Out of Left Field', and 'Sudden Stop', his aural meat and potatoes remained the slow burn, heart on his sleeve ballad. The thing about Sledge was that in spite of all those limitations he somehow managed to pull it off. The guy sang with such a heartfelt sense of pain and loss, you could overlook the fact the album lacked much in the way of diversity. There simply weren't many folks that could pull that trick off. Giving Sledge credit where due, the album included a couple of surprises. Sledge's cover of the old Fleetwood's hit 'Come Softly To Me' revealed a seldom heard falsetto. His cover of the Classics IV's 'Spooky' was a surprisingly pop oriented tune. Perhaps the biggest surprise - Sledge's cover of Bobby Womack's 'Baby Help Me' demonstrated he could handle up-tempo material with the same grace and enthusiasm as the ballads. Three word summary ... buy this album.

"Take Time To Know Her" track listing:
(side 1)
1.) Take Time To Know her (Steve Davis - Al Gallico) - 2:55
Classic old-school heartbreak tune ... classic Percy Sledge with that instantly recognizable warble in his voice and the kind of old-fashion story-lyric that made you ponder the lyrics. Shame more of us don't pay attention to such lessons. Released as a single, it was one of Sledge's biggest hits. As you can see from this 2008 performance at The Mountain Arts Center in Kentucky, Sledge was still in good form and the tune's still in his concert repertoire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zM79SH0Zgg rating: **** stars2.) Feed the Flame (Dan Penn- Spooner Oldham) - 2:20
Killer slow dance tune that should have been a massive hit for the man. With that stabbing organ, the sound was instantly recognizable as a Sledge ballad. rating: **** stars
3.) Sudden Stop (Bobby Russell) - 2:45
Pretty, surprisingly pop-oriented ballad that served to showcase that instantly recognizable Sledge voice. rating: **** stars
4.) Come Softly To Me (Gary Troxel - Gretchen Christopher - Barbara Ellis) - 2:55
Nice cover of the old Fleetwood's hit. Interesting to hear Sledge shift into a Little Richard-styled falsetto on this pretty ballad. rating: *** stars
5.) Spooky (Mike Sharpe - Harry Middlebrooks - Buddy Buie - J.R Cobb) - 2:50
Okay, The Classics IV original remains the classic performance (The Atlanta Rhythm Section turned in a decent over). That sad, while it didn't stray to far from the original melody and arrangement, there was something charming and disarming in Sledge's cover. Not sure if it was his drawling delivery, or the hyper upbeat backing vocalists. Regardless, I love this cover. rating: **** stars
6.) Out of Left Field (Dan Penn - Spooner Oldham) - 3:09
You had to wonder how a pair of then-young white guys like Penn and Oldham could repeatedly come up with so many deep soul classics ... Of course Sledge's guttural, Gospel-drenched vocals didn't hurt when it came to turning this into one of his best ballads. rating: **** stars

(side 2)
1.) Cover Me (Marlin Greene - Eddie Hinton) - 2:56
The leadoff single and one of the album highlights - there was just something special in the way Sledge delivered the lyrics; few singers can deliver the same mix of desperation and gratitude in the same breath. The only flaw here was the song's short running time. rating: **** stars
2.) Baby Help Me (Bobby Womack) - 2:30
I've always been surprised that Sledge didn't record more up-tempo tunes. This one was also interesting to hear given Sledge sounded like he been gargling with razor blades. Great tune. rating: **** stars
3.) It's All Wrong, But It's Alright (Marlin Greene - Eddie Hinton) - 2:53
Country-soul ballad that was the album's only mild disappointment. rating: *** stars
4.) High Cost of Livin' (Donald Fritts - David Briggs) - 3:00
Stark, but pretty ,if second tier ballad. rating: *** stars
4.) Between These Arms (William Jenkins - Howard Evan) - 2:40
Relatively breezy ballad with a killer organ solo. rating: *** stars
6.) I Love Everything About You (Dan Penn - Spooner Oldham) - 2:15
Another atypically upbeat tune with a touch of Dixieland jazz to the arrangement. rating: **** stars

soulmakossa Jun 11 2008 4.00 stars
If I were to pick one album which I would rate Percy Sledge's finest, it'd undoubtedly be 'Take Time to Know Her'. Where 'When a Man Loves a Woman' is dominated by the peerless, unsurpassable title track and 'The Percy Sledge Way' consists solely of covers, 'Take Time to Know Her' has a consistency in quality that you won't find on either of them.

The wistful, pensive title track is a gorgeous country soul opus warning against jumping into a new romance without doing a little courting first. The dynamic writing duo Dan Penn/Spooner Oldham gave Percy some more brilliant, slow grinding wailers in the guise of the lazily groovin' "Feed the Flame" and the irresistibly touching "Out of Left Field", featuring a vocal finale that combines gospelfide testifyin' with 'Bama grit, cooking up a Southern Soul must-have.

Sledge's take on Bobby Russell's "Sudden Stop" is, in my opinion, the definitive version. It's delivered with the same sensitivity and earnest longing that permeates the entire disc. This is never more so the case than on the incredible, delightfully arranged mid-tempo ballad "Come Softly to Me", which features Sledge in an almost whispering bag.

There's some dark, Latin-esque funk on a cover of Classic IV's "Spooky", a fast-paced belter that Sledge totally makes his own, while he struts mightily on the hard socking "Baby Help Me", written by Bobby Womack. The latter proves that Sledge was by no means a balladeer only.

But it's mostly country soul sweetness and dreamy-eyed romanticism here, and it's fully realized on the achingly beautiful "Cover Me", written by Marlin Greene and Eddie Hinton. This breathtaking ballad received another gorgeous treatment when Bettye Swann waxed an equally goosebump inducing rendition that same year. Green and Hinton also wrote the slow burning, lamenting "It's All Wrong But It's All Right".

Angelic voices guide Percy through the gentle, carressing "Between These Arms", while the Penn/Oldham duo cooked up the album's gutbucket finale, the bouncin' "I Love Everything About You".

In all, this is one of those warm, melancholic albums you'll want to put on late at night, alone and in the dark, just you listening to Percy's tales of heartbreak and longing.

The full album is not on YT, but here's one track:

MORE LATER!
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Nice to see the discussion of Nazz here.

There appear to be only 11 forum members who placed Todd's highest ranked album among their top 500 and only 5 who did so for A Wizard, A True Star.

So, it is no surprise to see the relatively obscure Nazz album receive essentially no acclaim in this forum or from the critics. But, at least the two singles from 1969 are bubbling under.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

JAMES BROWN - I CAN'T STAND MYSELF WHEN YOU TOUCH ME
Released March 1968
Billboard LP chart # 17 - 14 weeks

Contains hit singles "I Can't Stand Myself" and "There Was A Time" and "Get It Together," some in parts 1 and 2. Also "Funky Soul # 1" and James doing "Need Your Love So Bad," a 1955-56 hit by one of his favorite acts, "Little Willie John." It's a 3.59 on RYM on a mere 130 ratings.

A couple of reviews:

At_SwimTwoBirds Jul 11 2008 4.00 stars
And so the funk begins. I Can’t Stand Myself When You Touch Me seems to be the first full funk album, more so than Sings Raw Soul, and although there are still some ballads, covers and R&B tracks here, most of the disc is proper funk. This is the type of album he would be making for the next decade.

Right from the start of the title track, this has an immediacy in the playing that hadn’t been present on his studio albums before, this album has the level of energy that he previously was unable to harness in the confines of the studio. The production is also an improvement over past attempts, making the tracks sound heavier and more lively.

Most of the songs here use the funk template: short, endlessly repeated guitar and drum lines with Brown spouting improvised-sounding lyrics over the top, and that wonderful horn section providing melody over the incredibly danceable rhythms. The best of the funky tracks are the title track, “There Was a Time” and “Get It Together” (especially Pt.2, which is probably the best track here, though the listener is spoilt for choice when it comes to sixties funk groove).

There’s also an excellent cover of jazz standard “Time After Time”, and the customary instrumentals (“The Soul of J.B.”, “Funky Soul #1) are excellent as well, being memorable and imbued with funk. There are three ballad numbers here, all forgettable and weakly done, the best of these probably being “You’ve Got to Change Your Mind” where Brown and Byrd have fun quoting Otis Redding, Sam & Dave, and numerous old Brown hits. All the ballads are grouped together at the end instead of being spread out (which would’ve probably made for a better track listing) and “Funky Soul #1” unfortunately isn’t quite good enough to save the album from ending with a noticeable dip in quality.

Overall, this has the best funk he has served up so far: a series of danceable grooves that are well-produced and energetic, let down by some weaker material towards the end. I Can’t Stand Myself When You Touch Me is Brown’s first really good studio effort, with a number of lesser-known yet great tracks that I’d recommend to any fan of funk.

soulmakossa Feb 25 2009 4.00 stars
With 'I Can't Stand Myself' Brown churned out an album that, as opposed to many of his previously released outings, shows a remarkable amount of consistency: This is a funk festival above all, and man does it get the groove juices flowin'.

The title cut naturally was the big hit, a frantic funkathon further exploring the stuttersteppin' groovadelics first heard on "Cold Sweat"; the drums and bass are all over this 'un, with the Godfather delivering another super charged, super raw vocal.

Next up is funk feast no. 2, the driving rhythmic monster jam "There Was a Time", with its persistent, incessant strut and ominous sounding horns. The bridge is so funky, it's insane...

But wait until you hear the wickedly syncopated "Get It Together" roll on in... probably the most frantic, stupendously funky workout here. More of those stomping drums and Jimmy Nolen's razor sharp guitar chanks.

Brown gets down in a more blues-based soulful bag with the downhome greasy vittle "Baby Baby Baby Baby", a good 'n' bumpin' slice of uptempo Southern Soul with a superb, droning Hammond purring in the back.

Even "Time After Time", the jazz standard - and obviously recorded by a band other than James' own Flames - is peppered up for funk consumption, with a big, brassy sound and hard socking drums.

Brown's back with the Flames on the well-grooved instrumental "The Soul of J.B.", proving his skills on the organ, while saxman supreme Maceo Parker goes for his on the second verse.

Most pop of all are the almost Motown-ish "When Did You Take Your Love Away" and the supper club lounger "I Need Your Love So Bad", but Soul Brother #1 goes back to his roots as he belts out the Southern Soul vamp "You've Got to Change My Mind".

But it ends on a groovin' note, of course, with the Godfather manning the organ one more time on the swangin', proto-blaxploitation instrumental "Funky Soul #1".

A terrific, funk based album brimming with goodies...

There's a playlist of the album on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE_K8H7 ... WK7ckdsvek

SOLOMON BURKE - KING SOLOMON
Released April 1968
Did not chart

Another good soul album that was out of print fast and never got noticed. It contains one of his greatest singles, "Take Me (Just As I Am)" along with other hits like "Keep a Light in the Window" and "Someone Is Watching" and "Party People" and "When She Touches Me (Nothing Else Matters)" and his holiday classic "Presents for Christmas."

It's a 3.58 on RYM from just 67 ratings. I've never seen a copy of the album, it's very hard to find.

A couple of reviews:

soulmakossa Feb 25 2008 3.50 stars
Solomon Burke, the man with the Golden Voice which earned him a Golden Crown...

'King Solomon' was Burke's first album in four years, his last one dating back to 1964. But it must have been worth the wait...

The larger than life soulster starts with an energetic, hard hitting take on Pops Staples' (from Staple Singers fame) political waxing "It's Been a Change", which features the identical highly reverberated guitar Pops used.

Getting deep into the old-time downhearted romp "Take Me (Just As I Am)", Solomon namechecks his fellow buddies Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding and Joe Tex in this brilliant 'opus de soul', which includes a heartwrenching vocal interlude and some seriously downhome belting.

Next up is a cover of country/folk singer Mickey Newbury's "Time Is a Thief", a beautifully sung lamentation that is the perfect example of the country-soul hybrid. The female backing vocals are superb, but it's that powerful voice of the King himself that commands instant attention.

And boy does it command just that on the devastating "Keep a Light in the Window"... Solomon does it all right here; soft mumbling, a little crooning, some growlin', a whole lotta beltin', and then, in the final verse, he breaks out in a wail that epitomizes Soul music... Deathmarching drums set to Burke's huge pipes... this is one of the most beautiful, stupefying songs I have ever heard. The mood set forth by that dark, brooding tune is then continued on the plaintive, pensive "Baby, Come on Home".

Ending Side A on a more upbeat note, Solomon struts through a rough 'n' raw version of "Detroit City", the Bobby Bare smash hit.

Eddie Floyd co-wrote the flip side's opener, the deliciously, lazily rocking "Somebody Is Watching" which has that inimitable Staxy vibe.

After a tight but short spin on Don Covay's "Party People", Burke seemed most at ease with blues-drenched, gospel-inspired romps: "When She Touches Me (Nothing Else Matters)" and "Woman, How Do You Make Me Love You Like I Do" both are slow grindin' vehicles that form the ideal backdrop for Burke's testifyin'. For that matter, "It's Just a Matter of Time", with its sweeping strings, in-the-pocket groove and reverberated guitar, would have been the perfect closer, if it weren't for the inclusion of the snappy, hardest swingin' tune here, the seasonal "Presents for Christmas".

That voice... Unbelievable.

Kevvy May 29 2005 3.50 stars
King Solomon pulls from his strengths on the aptly-titled King Solomon by bringing in some country, gospel and blues influences to support his larger-than-life delivery (and his even larger and more likable personality - which shines through with colours here). The gospel-heavy "Take Me (Just As I Am)" is just about one of the finest and most moving pieces Solomon has ever lent his talents to, and "It's Just A Matter Of Time" is larger than life in every single way. Not all of the rest of the material on King Solomon is as top-drawer (it ranges from inspirational to merely head-nod worthy) but each song benefits from Solomon's sense of timing, sense of humility, and sense of humour.

The album is not on YT, but here's the 2 best songs:
================================================================================

SLY & THE FAMILY STONE - LIFE
Released July 1968
Billboard LP chart # 195 - 5 weeks

I once bought a whole stack of soul albums that were from 1968 through like 1972 at a garage sale. They were all in great condition, close to mint. This one was in there. The best known songs are both sides of a single that did not do that well (M'Lady b/w Life). M'Lady is like "Dance To The Music" part 2. Both sides barely cracked the pop top 100 on Billboard.

The album has a 3.66 on RYM from almost 800 ratings, which makes it their # 163 album for 1968.

Here are some reviews:

siLLy_puPPy Jan 17 2014 5.00 stars
Although this was one of the least successful of their albums in terms of sales, I find this to be my favorite early album by SLY & THE FAMILY STONE before they would begin to experiment and expand their sound on the following album STAND. This album continues the group's unique mix of soul, funk and R&B but with catchier tunes that are more refined and polished until they shine! Every track on here is super catchy with the perfect mix of funk laced grooves backed up by a totally satisfying horn section. The entire band is on fire here delivering the most enthusiastic of performances. The music on this album has been a gold mine for samplings of hip hop and electronic musicians alike.

The songs are filled with that idealistic 60s glee and still not politically charged as they would become on future releases but rather focus more on personal issues like the dating scene or groupies. My favorites are the ones about animals. The track “Chicken” is just brilliant as the bass line actually sounds like a chicken! The track “I'm An Animal” could refer I guess to a suppressed atavistic repression of our evolutionary history but I rather think it was born out of the desire to have a lot of fun with the tune instead since the whole band is so playful with it.

Although this is one of the lesser appreciated albums by the group simply because it's overshadowed by the following albums, I highly recommend this as an essential listening experience because this is the pinnacle of their first phase and although it may not be able to compete with the complexity of the others, it is one of the funnest of the bunch that always gives me that warm fuzzy funky feeling every time I hear it. The only complaint I have about this album is that it is way too short. So catchy are these tunes that the earworms often demand that I listen to it twice! A rare thing indeed. Simply a classic of the ages. And always remember: you don't have to die before you live!

lanky_caravan Apr 17 2009 5.00 stars
Life, as they say, is good. Maybe the most solid transitional album of all time, Sly follows up his first taste of chart action with 12 bite-sized funk classics. While none of the tracks are as famous as the Dance to the Music single, the consistency throughout the album is remarkable, Indeed, the famous Greatest Hits album (best party album ever) contains three Life tracks (Fun, M'Lady, and the title track), and the band's appearance in the Woodstock film includes Love City. Perhaps even more than on the following mega-hit Stand! album, Life feels more like a working band's album. With no song exceeding three and half minutes, the group relies on their clever innovations and bouncy vibes to sell an album of tunes that are sometimes more than a little silly. What do you expect from a sixties album in which, for instance, the participants bark like chickens? I say that this is a transitional album because there seems to be a clear line when Sly's music went from Mickey Mouse to militant, and not to sell short this period but even the music is more light-weight than what follows. That does not make it any less significant - or fun. And when I party, I party hardy

steggs Aug 09 2003 5.00 stars
This is the best Sly album from the 60's... Clocking in at just over half an hour, this album is jam-packed full of songs about life, animals, love, groupies and being into your own thing among others... It's Psychedelic Psoul at it's best and let's face it, Sly & The Family Stone were the leaders of this music anyway. It took me a long time to track down a copy of this album, but it's definitely worth it and I ALWAYS listen to it from start to finish, without skipping a track. The bonus track on the CD is brilliant too, I cannot work out why it was not included on the album in the first place. It's called "Only One Way Out Of This Mess" and is almost 4 minutes of rocking soul at its best. This album is worth getting, even if you're not a huge fan of Sly... But I don't understand why you wouldn't be if you were reading this!! NOTE: this album was originally released as M'Lady in the UK, named after the single of the same name.

deadlybreakfast Nov 07 2008 4.50 stars
To me, this album and its predecessor Dance to the Music form the ultimate pair of Sly & Co. albums. They're both near flawless funk masterpieces that redefined what soul, rock, dance music, and funk were all about. This album takes up where the previous one left off, and features shorter, more succint songs, but more experimentation and variety. As always, the playing and singing are top quality, and the overall vibe is celebratory and life affirming. This is just feel good music, there's no other way to describe it, not to mention that it's guaranteed to fill the dancefloor. Lyrically, there's nothing too profound going on, but the spirit of this album is one of fun and the celebration of life, evidenced by such songs as "Fun", and "Life". This is great stuff, pure and simple, and is damn close to perfect.

SolidRaiden22 Feb 23 2013 ▼ 4.50 stars
Cheerful and full of life. A far cry from the edgy darkness of their masterpiece "There's a Riot Goin' On". This type of wondrous music just puts a smile on my face every time. The fact that the band managed to refine their sound shortly afterwards is nothing short of astounding. This would be most bands' peak album.

There's a playlist of the album on YT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxzLgaO ... o624kFSVuq

ERIC BURDON & THE ANIMALS - THE TWAIN SHALL MEET
Released May 1968
Billboard LP chart # 79 - 29 weeks

Contains the hit singles "Monterey" and "Sky Pilot." The band abandoned their blues sound here and went sort of psychedelic rock. The LP version of "Sky Pilot" is like 7 and a half minutes long.
It's got a 3.70 on RYM from 599 ratings. Some really cool 1960s stereo mixes!

Some reviews:

evenflow48 Jul 18 2010 5.00 stars
The main reason why this wasn't considered to be a great response to Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band is because it's too psychedelic for the regular person/music fan. Yes, SPLHCB has psychedelic elements, but it also has great pop flavor and catchy, less complicated tunes so it appeals to the masses. However, if psychedelia is your thing.....look no further!

hello43 May 26 2009 5.00 stars
As psychedelic a record as I've ever heard. One of my all time favourites. Of many moods and many colours. Moving, important, and powerful. 1968 indeed.

userbyo Jul 20 2007 5.00 stars
The Twain Shall Meet, Es uno de los 10 mejores Albunes Psicódelicos de todos los tiempos. El Genio de Eric, Triumfó en el Blues, en el pop, en el beat en su comienzo y cuándo quiso cambiar de etapa nadie como él supo adaptarse alos nuevos tiempos.dejando para la historia maravillosas obras de arte. Después triunfaria con "War" Haciéndo Soul-Funk-Jazz.
!Hay quién de más¡

The album is on YT:
=============================================================================

THE CHOCOLATE WATCHBAND - THE INNER MYSTIQUE
Released February 1968
Did not chart

This is an odd album. After their first album (No Way Out) flopped, they tried something a little different on this one, more garage and less psych. The weirdest track to me is their garage style version of the 1960 Hank Ballard hit "Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go." It's a very short album, only 26 minutes and change.

It's a 3.73 on RYM from 545 ratings. Here are some reviews:

rod45 Jun 11 2015 5.00 stars
Wow! I'm not sure I have the words to describe this psychedelic masterpiece. Yeah, I know it is short but every minute is as good as it can be. The "covers" are excellent, as usual, and their own material is their best. This album oozes acid psych guitar and attitude from start to finish.

I know I have said this about other albums but damn, this music almost demands that you listen to this platter with a cool buzz, headphones, and in the comfy chair. Probably should buckle the seat belt as well. This is totally a fucking TRIP!

RIP Ned Torney
RIP Sean Tolby

PC_Music Feb 23 2007 4.50 stars
Take a bit of the The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Yardbirds with a tiny bit of The Who ; shake them all and put them in a psychedelic environment and you'll have an idea of the sound of the Chocolate Watchband.

"In the Past" is a typical catchy psyche tune of the late 60s with the same kind of sad melody as Dear Delilah.
"Inner Mystique" is very beautiful instrumental piece with a cute flute melody backed by acoustic guitar appergios.
"I'm not Like Everybody Else" is a Kinks song played in a Rolling Stones' way! Really interesting. Mick Jagger and Co, could successfully cover this.
Same for the Bob Dylan cover "It's all Over now Baby Blue", the version sounds quite like the Stones, and there is something more than a pale imitation.

This band is quite exciting and punchy but unfortunately they are badly underrated. Not many people mention the Chocolate Watchband among the finest psychedelic bands. Though, if you like all the bands mentioned in my introduction and psychedelic music, you have no more reasons to ignore them still.

Warmly Recommended
Purple_Daze Sep 05 2012 4.50 stars
The CWB's second is just another excellent repeat of the formula laid out on the first album. Again, this and their first record are pretty much essential to any good garage or psychedelic rock collection.

Just as the debut was a mixture of raw garage rock and atmospheric psych rock so is 'The Inner Mystique'. It's a bit backwards considering the time of release but (I disagree with the review below) this one has a bit more of the garage variety than the atmospheric psych variety. All of it top shelf. They still have that snarling, menacing sound that's such a vital part of their sound and that's the ingredient that takes it to a higher level. The two covers of songs by artists (Kinks, Dylan) that routinely get labeled, deservedly so, as some of the greatest ever are made better than the originals. Those being "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" and "Baby Blue". The only negative is the same negative as that their debut has, it's too damn short, clocking in at around 25 minutes. Beyond that tho' this is greatness.

The full album is on YT:

MORE LATER
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

BILLY NICHOLLS
Released April 1968
Did not chart

This is a cult classic of British psychedelic orchestral pop. It's got a 3.75 at RYM on 653 ratings. They have it as # 93 for 1968. The album is often compared to "Pet Sounds" and also the Left Banke and the Zombies.

Here are some reviews from RYM:

PROGROCKASAURUS Jun 20 2009 5.00 stars
Absolutely brilliant late's 60's swinging london orchestral pop/psych. Really, one of the cornerstones of the genre if your into this style of music.

To think that a record this good was stuck in record company vault limbo for over 30 years (after it's VERY limited original release) just makes me f**king angry.

Anyway it's now somewhat more easily accessable.

The Limited Edition 2LP Vinyl reissue I have, squeezes a couple of the tracks from side 2 of the original LP onto the end of side 1 and adds some bonus alternates and mono mixes. This actually works brilliantly as it puts most of the best tracks on side 1. Record 2 has some alternates and demos, some very very good.

Worth tracking down.

Faltain May 22 2009 5.00 stars
One of the greatest pop/psych 60 albums most mainstream people have never heard... probably only eclipsed by the Millenniums wonderful "Begin", and equaled by the Moon's "Without Earth".

Every track is exquisitely produced and performed, and each offers something different to the listener. It's very similar to the (best of the) Left Banke in it's baroque pop-esque qualities, while still maintaining a sort of British "Pet Sounds" feel to it (which is a huge compliment) lyrically. The words themselves are simple, but the composition of each track is so masterfully handled that it gives them vast strength.

One of the easiest albums I could give 5 stars to.

nowheregirl May 24 2008 5.00 stars
I don't really agree with the comparisons with Pet Sounds, as I can't see much similarity between the two albums beyond the production and the beautiful layered harmonies. Having said that, Would You Believe is a great album in its own right. I would describe most of the songs as having a baroque pop sound with orchestral arrangements and elements of psychedelia, similar in style to the Left Banke. Lyrically, the album takes you on a journey through 'Swinging London'.

The album begins with the title track "Would You Believe", a fantastic orchestral pop song with an instantly unforgettable melody. Steve Marriott of the Small Faces provides backing vocals which are a bit overpowering at times but don't detract from the brilliance of the song. Then there's a change of pace with the second song, "Come Again", a lovely acoustic ballad with jangling guitars and a mellow, soothing sound. "Life Is Short" is a catchy, uptempo pop song that sounds very similar to the Zombies or the Left Banke, while "Feeling Easy" is a very pretty song with a soaring orchestral arrangement and dreamy vocals. The beginning of "Daytime Girl" sounds to me as if it could have come straight from Love's Forever Changes, then it quickly develops into a very catchy and memorable Beach Boys-style 60s pop song. This is another very strong track and is followed by "Daytime Girl (Coda)" which is, as you would expect, a fragment of "Daytime Girl", but sung in a slow, a capella style with gorgeous harmonies.

"London Social Degree" is a great mod/pop song with a more straightforward arrangement. The initials spell out LSD, by the way. "Portobello Road" has an interesting, melancholy sound but is not one of the better tracks on the album. Then there's "Question Mark", a gentle, breezy ballad with a sound somewhere between the Beach Boys and the Kinks. I find "Being Happy" is a little overproduced and the melody is not quite as strong as most of the others on the album. Still a nice song, though. "Girl From New York" has a much heavier sound compared to the previous tracks and is another strong song. Finally, we have "It Brings Me Down". At almost five minutes long it's the longest track on the album. The first part of the song is great, but it finishes with a lengthy instrumental passage which I don't think was the best way to close the album.

If you're a fan of orchestrated 60s pop, you will almost certainly enjoy Would You Believe. I had originally given this album 4 stars but after listening to it a few more times I've decided it really deserves 5.

Rating: 5/5
Highlights: Would You Believe, Daytime Girl, London Social Degree, Girl From New York

Psychedelic_Guy May 18 2008 5.00 stars
This album which saw less than 100 original pressings, probably is one of the best Psychedelic LP's of all time. It's perfect in almost every way! You have Andrew Oldham in your corner, and The Small Faces as your backing band, plus other great session men, you end up with this genuine masterpiece! Its very hard to top this!

Tezcatlipoca Jan 28 2007 5.00 stars
To some extent Pet Sounds with darker melodies but in reality nothing can obscure how immensely enjoyable each and every one of this songs is. Using to the fullest the most baroque of productions Nicholls' carved, in his debut, a classic record of orchestral pop bursting at the seams with gorgeous little details and flourishes that elevates him to The Left Banke, The Zombies lofty territory.

The full album is on YT:

JULY - JULY
Released July 1968
Did not chart

Another cult British psychedelic classic here. Only released in mono. The USA stereo copies were not real stereo. If you like "Piper" by Pink Floyd and "S.F. Sorrow" by the Pretty Things you should like this.

Some glowing reviews:

tymeshifter Feb 26 2009 5.00 stars
First, a bit of information for neophytes: This album was recorded in mono. There are no British stereo versions. Since it was released in 1968, all stock U.S. copies are stereo, but this is that phony "simulated" stereo similar to what they did with all of the early Stones' albums. This is one of the reasons Brit. copies go for 150-200% more than U.S. copies. Mono U.S. versions were available only as white label promos (probably rarer than even than Brit. copies), and it is unconfirmed as to whether all w.l.p.'s were mono. This also means that any subsequent reissues that claim to be in stereo cannot be, even if remastered from original tapes, because the original recordings were mono.
Now, on to the music. I rate this in my top 5 of all time. Absolutely stunning psychedelia with song writing almost on a par with Barrett. My only complaint might be that over the course of the entire album, they do tend to use some of the same ideas and sounds more than once, but I think this reflects more on the producer's lack of imagination than the band's. All this means is that one might prefer to not listen to the album all the way through in one sitting, for there are more than enough original ideas amongst the 11 tracks presented to bowl this listener over. Besides all the studio wizardry, an unusual aspect of this album is the extensive use of fuzz guitar. This was not particularly prevalent on British psych recordings prior to 1969, and this album is virtually brimming with it. One other tidbit that may be of interest: The 45 version of "The Way", found on the b-side to the non- LP single "Hell, Who's There", is substantially different to the LP version, and quite possibly twice as good! Six stars!!!!

MojoNavigator Jan 10 2014 5.00 stars
The Greatest Month of the Year
This is a mind blowing, top notch 60's psych record that's difficult for me to categorize. It's all over the place, but in the proper way. I would review this, but everything I could even try to say has already been said by tymeshifter. See his review below.

CooperBolan Jan 28 2012 5.00 stars
July was a short-lived psych pop/rock group from London and their S/T debut album is one of the true diamonds of the British psychedelia. Most of the greatest psychedelic rock of the late 1960's came from the USA (most notably West Coast) but there were many amazing psychedelia groups in the UK as well. July was definitely one of the best bands to come out from the UK psychedelia scene.

This stuff is very trippy at times despite the shortness of the songs. "My Clown", "Dandelion Seeds", "The Way", "Move on Sweet Flower" and "Friendly Man" for example are all damn strong songs and the rest of the material is high quality as well. The cover art of the album is very impressive as well.

I find this underground classic album to be a fantastic example about British psych rock at it's finest. It's an essential album to check out in case you find this genre interesting.

tymeshifter Mar 30 2011 5.00 stars
Being the only mono issue of this in the U.S., this w.l.p. is now sought after by collectors. Even the British mono is rare as hen's teeth. Unfortunately, I've never heard a stereo copy to compare mixes with. I bought the reissue on Essex records, only to discover they reissue the British mono version.
Along with early Pink Floyd, this album represents the epitome of British pop/psych. Present are elements of Barrett, Blossom Toes, and even Rubber Soul/Revolver era Beatles, though better than the sum of these three. Presenting a variety of psychedelic styles, July seem comfortable with all of them, as if they are totally at home in any shade of psychedelia. Even the weakest of cuts here is still at least pretty good, while the best are fire breathing monsters. This one has it all - effects, lyrics and song writing, surely among my top five of all time. Grades - 2 A's, 4 A-'s, 2 B+'s, 2 B's, and 2 B-'s.
Note - the single version of track A6, "The Way", is substantially different than the LP, and even more psychedelic. It's probably available as bonus mat'l on some reissue or another.

BN 26416 Vinyl LP (1968)
stupidwall Mar 14 2011 5.00 stars
Yes, this IS the one that we have been searching for. We love Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, SF Sorrow, and early Soft Machine, and we've always wanted more. Bands like the Small Faces and The Move have come close to reaching our favorite albums, but always just barely fall flat of Sgt.Pepper level.

July is our gem. It is what we hoped that it would be, reader. Creativity up the wazoo, crafty production, great guitar playing, and intelligent song writing. And no annoying vocals!

The full mono album is on YT. I am listening to it as I type this. Have not heard it in years. Cool guitars and very trippy at times.
==============================================================================

TOMORROW - TOMORROW
Released February 1968
Did not chart

More Psychedelic British rock and pop, featuring Steve Howe and Keith West.

Some reviews:

hellaguru Jan 27 2015 5.00 stars
Only album released by the main group who played London's ultrahip UFO club along with Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd and The Soft Machine. More pop oriented and less exploratory than those other 2 groups, Tomorrow was quite good in its own right. Psychedelic excursions like "Revolution" (not to be confused with the Beatles song of the same name), "Hallucinations", "Real Life Permanent Dream" and "The Incredible Journey of Timothy Chase" sit side by side with twee character studies like "My White Bicycle" (a heavily phased hit for the group), "3 Jolly Little Dwarfs", "Shy Boy" and "Colonel Brown". A pre-Yes Steve Howe on guitar and the soulful Keith West on vox made Tomorrow a force to be reckoned with. Pity they couldn't have lasted longer but West, Howe and drummer Twink had other projects they wanted to get involved with.

garymaher Oct 31 2010 5.00 stars
I wasn't wild about this the first few times I listened to it, other than My White Bicycle. I know now that I was wrong. This is a great collection of psych pop / toytown that I can highly recommend to any lovers of those genres. Just give it a few spins, as necessary.

4D4MP Sep 27 2008 5.00 stars
a great, undiscovered psychedelic album. sounds like late beatles/early floyd. lots of bubbles and freakouts. BUY NOW

visuals Jun 29 2008 5.00 stars
Great psych/prog from the late 60's. "my white bicycle", & "Shy Boy" are two of my faves.

PsychedelicGuy Jun 28 2008 5.00 stars
Tomorrow's S/T release is no doubt one of the legendary UK Psychedelic albums, every track is a gem, and very catchy, no Psych collection is complete without this!! Tracks like Revolution, Sad Boy, and they STELLAR cover of Strawberry Fields Forever really make this a classic!

Eric_Iozzi Apr 29 2008 5.00 stars
It´s a pity that Tomorrow is only recognized as Steve Howe´s pre-Yes band.
They were among the best bands to emerge from that psychedelic rock scene in London.
The others were Pink Floyd and Soft Machine.

But Tomorrow was too short-lived and the album came out too late.

But it´s a gem, all tunes are killers - no filler, yes!

ilmessaggero83 Feb 16 2008 5.00 stars
Capolavoro assoluto della breve stagione psichedelica inglese, un album dall'andamento devastante fin dall'inizio, il quale è davvero esplosivo, il classico psichedelico "My white bycicle" il trasognante volo lisergico "Colonel Brown" e un vero delirio psichedelico "Real life permanent Dream" mondi immaginari, favole lisergiche, personaggi fantastici, questo è il mondo psichedelico dei tomorrow, il loro vangelo lisergico e colorato, come nella simpatica favola "Auntie Mary's Dress Shop" è un crescendo fino al culmine con "Hallucinations" Capolavoro!!!

The album is on YT with bonus tracks:

DONOVAN - THE HURDY GURDY MAN
Released October 1968
Billboard LP chart # 20 - 20 weeks

Includes the hit singles "Jenifer Juniper" and the title track. I also like "The Entertaining of a Shy Girl" and "A Sunny Day." Frankly I am surprised that Donovan's albums did not make a bigger splash with the critics. Several of them were really big with the hippie crowd in the 60s and early 70s, but he just has one album in the top 3000 and one in the BU section here. John Paul Jones plays bass on some tracks and is listed as the "musical director."

It's got a 3.69 from 900 ratings at RYM. Some reviews from there:

willowpig Sep 21 2016 5.00 stars
Top shelf. Donovan's kaleidoscopic opus is brilliantly entertaining....
A perfect production by Mickie Most for a folk/baroque pop masterpiece. A lush, literate, marvel from melodic troubadour Donovan!
^ ^
@ @
"
~

blueberry May 04 2013 5.00 stars
This record is surely inspired by his visit of India and the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, as you can hear the eastern music influences on 'Peregrine' and 'Tangier'. The psychedelic 'Hurdy Gurdy Man' and the sunshine pop of 'Jennifer Juniper', both became hit singles. The rest of this lp is contemporary folk and singer/songwriter material at its best.

majoyenrac Oct 09 2009 ▼ 5.00 stars
Oddly this Donovan record gets a strange bad rap, I don't get it. I just bougth it about a year ago (Finding it used and was like, well why not)....

Well Damn those reviewers because this is his best record!

There's only 1 iffy track "As I recall it" is generic Donovan-jazz rock that gets obliterated by everything around it.

This is Donovan at his most varied....the celtic folk debuts with "Jenifer Juniper" and insanely catchy chill song that stays with you thanks to Donovan's breezy vocals.

Hurdy Gurdy Man isn't just a folk or folky-psyche track like Mellow Yellow or Sunshine Superman were before, no it's an all out HEAVY record....Donovan essentially leading Led Zeppelin here in place of Plant...one of the top 30 psychedellic songs of them all and amonst Donovan's best, yet that track holds nothing to the "Get Thy Bearings"....seriously why this track is left off of comps is shocking....This is perhaps his career peak.

Hi It's Been a Long time....only in the 60's...the TRIPPY "Peregrine", The Entertaining of a Shy Girl.

If you were to pick up one Donovan album I'd say get this in a heartbeat (Especially with the bonus tracks: Teen Angel is one of Donovan's peak, and nobody can record a track like the moody, slllloooowww Lalena and get it to still stay so interesting--I love it).

Buy this today and totally DIG THE SLOWNESS.

His career peak, this is amongst the best of the 60's and probably should be filed in the "totally didnt get it in 1968 albums"....deserves a critical re-release.

The sequencing could have changed a bit (jumps around a bit mostly because As I recall it just didn't fit), but that's a minor complaint as the individual tracks are amazing and unlike some other Donovan records very varied (Folk, psych, hard rock, celtic-rock, jazz are all interwoven sometimes in each song)....

Brilliantly flawed masterpiece. Buy with confidence.

jerryj Feb 21 2006 5.00 stars
Excellent album with the fantastic title track that wears so well even today (with Led Zeppelin instrumental backing). Other standouts include the beautiful and poignant River Song plus Get Thy Bearings - which makes jazz listenable with it's infectious acoustic bass lines and vocal. Donovan was again at the forefront of merging musical styles into a cohesive, sometimes pychedelic whole. At the peak of his creative powers at this juncture.

Youdont Sep 16 2003 5.00 stars
Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man album is not a landmark. Still, Donovan is not treading on worn ground. The album is a testament to the success of simple, pop music. The heaviness of the guitars on the song "Hurdy Gurdy Man," I believe by Jeff Beck, add an interesting sound not generally output by this artist. There is not much else to be said. The "jazz" tune "Get Thy Bearings" is spectacular. By the way, this album is immaculately recorded. The beginning of this album is perhaps one of the greatest ever recorded.

The full album is on YT:

AMBOY DUKES - JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE MIND
Released July 1968
Billboard LP chart # 74 - 23 weeks

Now infamous right wing nut Ted Nugent fronted this band. The title track was a huge hit single. It's got a 3.49 from 456 ratings on RYM. It's only # 359 for 1968 there. The opening track is probably the worst thing on the album, be patient.

Some reviews:

tymeshifter Nov 04 2009 4.50 stars
Back in the 80's, I used to do a radio show at Rutgers University's WRSU FM, on which I tried to blow all the college kid's minds with all of my late 60's psychedelic underground records. I was scheduled for a day off one week, so they asked for volunteers from the staff to fill-in for my show. I never really liked the guy that ultimately did the show, but I remember hearing he said something like "that show's not that hard to do, anyone can do it". I was able to listen to it, and remember all that he did was bring in this song by The Dukes, "Open My Eyes", by The Nazz, and an armful of comps. I mention this, because the title track from this album is truly one of THE cuts that the majority of supposedly enlightened rock fans think of when trying to come up with some "underground" psych. And deservedly so! What a great cut - fuzz guitar, vocal harmony, mild echo effects at the fade-out. But the rest of the record has plenty more in store for those checking it out. Grades - 3 A-'s, 1 B+, 3 B's, 3 B-'s, and a C+, consistently great, and essential for any psych collection. Recommended.

Oswego Jun 18 2016 4.00 stars
The Title track, Mississippi and St. Phillips friend are some hilites on this Psych rock classic.

The7thSon Mar 16 2012 4.00 stars
Where Ted got his start. Far more enjoyable than his solo material; the psychedelic sound surrounding this album is the focal point rather than his later mindless guitar wankery in the mid to late 70s. A highly-recommended listen.

The full album is on YT:
MORE LATER
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

TURTLES - BATTLE OF THE BANDS
Released November 1968
Billboard LP chart # 128 - 12 weeks

The idea was that each track was being done by a different band. They tried to do a different style on each song. Pop, hard rock, surf, funk, etc...Hit singles are "Elenore" and "You Showed Me." The latter was originally done by the Byrds in 1964. The flip side of "You Showed Me" was the funk entry on the album, a song called "Buzz Saw" that has been sample several times by hip hop acts. This album was around cheap in cut out bins for most of the 1970s. I got my copy sealed for 44 cents. Sold it last year for $15.00.

On RYM it's got a 3.61 from over 300 ratings. Some reviews:

dial35 May 13 2011 5.00 stars
A brilliant pastiche of musical styles found in showcases at the time. Even in parody, the music is just great. (I wonder...was this any inspiration to a pre-The Rutles Neil Innes?)

"Surfer Dan" and "The Battle of the Bands" are my two favorite tracks. "Elenore" and "You Showed Me" were the two singles. Both bonus tracks are good too.

But it's still a very funny, ambitious piece of musical parody.

SC 6038 CD (1994)
AndyRussell Mar 14 2005 5.00 stars
Today this album seems to be little known, but Rolling Stone magazine named it album of the year in their first annual, so it must have had some supporters at the time. Of course, in a year filled with "concept" albums after the impact of The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper, and with comparatively low album sales, I guess it's not a surprise that it became overlooked. Like The Who, the band took a humorous approach to the trend. In their case, they based the album as a series of bands competing at a local talent show, each in a different popular style of the time. The original album sleeve had them portraying a different fictional band for each song, dressed in gimmicky outfits to match. Fortunately for the listener, each of these bands has a great song to offer.

Naturally, the Beatles and Brian Wilson influence is evident. But so is the satirical pop humor and strong personality that Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan brought to Frank Zappa's table soon after (particularly on the song "Food", a stoner-take on "My Favorite Things" replete with a cappella introduction to their special brownie recipe). "The Last Thing I Remember" is great psychedelic-Lennon satire, "Buzzsaw" is a strong Booker T parody, and "Surfer Dan" beats the Beatles' "Back In The U.S.S.R." to the punch. "I'm Chief Kamanawanalea (We're The Royal Macadamia Nuts)" is an absurd little groover worthy of the subsequent White Album as well. And "Too Much Heartsick Feeling" and "Chicken Little Was Right" show that they can handle different country-rock stylings early and up there with The Byrds.

I remember hearing "Elenor" on the oldies radio station before I knew this album, particularly the line "...you're my pride and joy, etc." And I thought that very funny and satirical, but it's subtle enough that it blends into one of the great late 60's pop songs. Both it and their cover of The Byrds' "You Showed Me" are immaculately achieved folk-pop songs of the era. The singing, songwriting, and playing on this album is outstanding - with brilliant harmony singing and detailed sophistication (despite the comical attitude) all the way through. Definitely the best Turtles album and one of the best late 60's pop albums, especially in light of their previous album's success with "Happy Together" already water under the bridge.

Goregirl Nov 26 2009 4.50 stars
What the heck, I kinda thought that The Turtles were sort of a joke super happy group and I had sadly dismissed them for quite a long time. Then I learned that they were the group responsible for "You Showed Me" which is one of my favorites (I just didn't know they were the group who sang it, I thought it was too dark to be a Turtles song) and I also learned about this concept album. The idea is that they are pretending to be a series of different artists depending on the song you select which actually works really well surprisingly. "Food" is hilarious, it's a psychedelic number with one heck of a brownie recipe in it's lyrics (I laughed a ton), "Buzzsaw" is a super cool garage rock inspired number with wicked organ solos, and "Surfer Dan" is their tribute to what else...surf rock! "Elenore" was their other actual hit from this album, it seems to be in the style of the British Invasion and it's a great song too. This has a variety of different stuff and it's shockingly all good and it has a sort of cheekiness to it makes this album all the more compelling. All I can really say is before you mock The Turtles I insist you listen to this album so you don't wind up looking foolish as I have done.

koeeoaddi_there Nov 16 2006 4.50 stars
oh my this is fucking funny.
understated funny, in that typical Turtles' manner, but funny nonetheless.

what this is is a fake battle of the bands, with the Turtles performing as each band (and with the turtles dressing - and undressing - as each band in the original sleeve) and which ever song they attempt they absoultely nail, from the psych The Last Thing I Remember, the garage Buzzsaw, the country Too Much Heartsick Feeling, the surf Surfer Dan and the, uh, tribal I'm Chief Kamanawanlea.

the most famous songs here are the relatively straight cover of the unreleased Byrds song You Showed Me and the hit single Elenore.
the latter is a good example of the humour here with the chorus running "Elenore gee i think youre swell and you really do me well, youre my pride and joy etc".
you could easily hear this on the radio and not know its a joke, but you just wouldnt say "youre my pride and joy etc" in a heartfelt love song. Total pisstake.
good stuff!

an overlooked classic - the humour fortunately doesnt overawe the music which is uniformally great.

bigfootisreal Jan 12 2011 ▼ 4.50 stars
This album completely blew me away. I got this album a while ago and I could tell The Turtles were good, but this album completely took me by surprise. It's incredible! Earth Anthem is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard in my entire life! You Showed Me is also a masterpiece, and Food is damn funny because it's a recipe for hash brownies. All the other songs are amazing as well. It's just insane how good this album is!

The album with bonus tracks is on YT:

SLY & THE FAMILY STONE - DANCE TO THE MUSIC
Released April 1968
Billboard LP chart # 142 - 7 weeks

Sly looks pretty clean cut on the cover. Taken before he became rich and could afford drugs and everything. The title track here is one of the most revolutionary and exciting party records of all time IMO. Still packs the floor nowadays. It's the only pre-1970s track that used to be in regular rotation on disco stations in the 1980s.

It's got a 3.62 on 676 ratings at RYM. There's a couple of good tracks, but the album is a bit inconsistent. They would jell in 1969 with the "Stand album."

Some reviews:

juicyleaves Jan 05 2010 5.00 stars
What Hendrix was doing with the blues, Sly Stone did with Soul and R & B. This is righteous psychedelic Funk that i never get bored of hearing. Blissful.

JumpinJackFlash Jan 02 2008 5.00 stars
One of the first bands I got into...and I still love it. I'm 14 and i've always loved some Funk/Rock and Sly and his family are the best band to do it. "Dance To The Music" is a classic, and songs like "Color Me True" and "Never Will I Fall in Love Again" show off the bands talent.

Great band, great performance at woodstock too =]

McC Jan 16 2009 4.50 stars
It's without a doubt going to be the coldest day of the year. But no class, an unintentionally overactive heater, no blinds, sunshine, and Sly and the Family Stone, oh and a little bit of herbs, can make one feel its summer.

It's the perfect introduction and has become the best wedding anthem of all times because it has an ethereal quality that just makes people want to dance. It isn't cheesy not at all, its all good vibes and that frustrates us RYMers. Damn this happy music!

Such a Good time, so underrated.

deadlybreakfast Nov 07 2008 4.50 stars
Despite the strength of their overlooked debut A Whole New Thing, it wasn't until their second LP Dance to the Music that everything came together for this multi-gender, multi-racial aggregation. This is just one of those albums where everything comes together perfectly and everything works. There are no weak songs to be found: even the extended length "Dance to the Medley", and the mid-tempo "Never Will I Fall in Love Again" never let the energy and excitement flag even for a moment. This is about as good a funk album as has ever been created, and although it verges on blasphemy, I'd rank this right up there with the best of James Brown's funk output. It's just that good. What sets Sly and Co. apart is that they were able to effortlessly span genres while creating danceable, funky music that just makes you feel good. They're a little bit rock, a little bit soul, a little bit psychedelic, and a whole lotta funky. The quality of the musicianship is uniformly high, but the fact that Sly is also a brilliant, idiosyncratic lyricist is often overlooked. This is just highly enjoyable, upbeat, feel great music, the likes of which no longer seems to exist.

I don't see the full album on YT, but here's the 12 minute "Dance To The Medley" track from the album:

JOE SOUTH - INTROSPECT
Released late in 1968
Billboard LP chart # 117 - 4 weeks

Highlights include the Grammy award winning song of the year for 1969 "Games People Play" along with "Birds of a Feather" and "These Are Not My People" and "Rose Garden," which became a big hit single for Lynn Anderson in 1970. It's got a 3.53 on RYM with just 75 ratings.

Some reviews:

dorotea May 21 2006 4.50 stars
One of the underrated albums of the late 60's. Good songs, good musicians, good guitars.

otismidnight Apr 15 2004 3.50 stars
I picked this up for $.50 a few years back (Rasputin's). Joe South is known as a songwriter and session guitarist from the late 60's/early 70's. He wrote "Hush", "Down in the Boondocks" and a few others.

This album contains his version of "Rose Garden" (you know the I Never Promised You a Rose Garden song), "Games People Play" and "Birds of a Feather". There is even a song called "Don't You Be Ashamed" that sounds shamelessly like "River Deep, Mountain High". I wonder what the story is behind that.

It sounds a little bit dated and definitely a little bit different. His guitar is uniquely displayed on several songs along with all those chicks singing in the backround. Regardless he was a talent in his time.

We are in luck, the album is on youtube:
More later:
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

MONKEES - HEAD
Released December 1968
Billboard LP chart # 45 - 15 weeks

This was the first Monkees album not to go platinum. The others before this one were all top 3 in the USA. So this album was thought of as a flop at the time. It's a soundtrack from a movie that the group was in. Some people consider it a cult classic nowadays. The best known song is "Porpoise Song," which was a single that charted at # 62 on Billboard.

On RYM it's 3.71 on 629 ratings.

Some reviews:

Reza79 Apr 30 2014 5.00 stars
I adore this album, probably the best thing The Monkees ever did. More psychedelic and experimental than their earlier works. Well worth checking out.

JanFreidun Apr 17 2013 5.00 stars
"We were speaking of beliefs, beliefs and conditioning"
It's a very extraordinary scene
To those who don't understand
But what you have seen you must believe
If you can, if you can

[Mike Nesmith – Circle Sky]

Introduction

I know what you are going to say
Here he comes again probably the biggest Monkees fan in RYM
I have just gotten a hold of a proper 180 gram vinyl copy of Head Original Motion Picture Soundtrack and as you may predict this review to be biased (what review is not) I will make my best to come clean about this particular LP.

Head was the first album proper I ever got into by this said group, it started as reading review and hearing snippets online on amazon. When I once upon a time went to a what we in my day called an actual record store, [however now bankrupt] browsing for records Head was the one I picked up as I knew beforehand I was in for something special, I am now talking of the then (1994) digital re-master on CD format with expansive linenotes and bonus tracks, as you might have seen I wrote a somewhat clumsy review of early on. As I later on have grown more accustome to a turn table, although it sometimes gives up on me: I felt more and more compelled to get the album proper, and not rely on re-mastered issues with bonus tracks or deluxe editions.

Just from reciving the LP, despite being a new pressing, the delivery on 180 g was still up there with my expectetions I knew I was in for something good when the album cover design came out as initially planed (to reflect the listeners own head) and the writing on the back saying in CAPITAL LETTERS “ALBUM PRODUCED BY THE MONKEES” and nothing but the original presentation spread out on two separate sides.

Background

HEAD may not have been the first LP to carry the connotation ‘Produced by the Monkees’ but in comparison to the preceding and also quite impressive LP ‘Birds and the Bees and The Monkees’ despite the fact that a creativity peak was also looming on that one album, it is obvious if we look upon the two albums one after the other, that on the whole HEAD was the better accomplishment and the selective, and still somewhat eclectic quality over quantity mindset proved very effective for them.

All the songs on Head was really the Monkees at their best, and the low number of performances aside, the album is still perfected by intriguing soundcollauges as initially put forth with assistance from the Film Director Jack Nicholson and the brillianti incidental music as presented by Ken Thorne. All in All it was the band at the peak of their powers, and especially Pete stepped forward on Head, after this release the band members wanted to revert to producing their own songs individually and the cohesive pioneering approach that was present on Head hasn’t ben recaptured ever since, and although I have heard the guys are occasionally touring it still probably never will be.

Head remains very own one and only masterpiece, they never achieved anything quite like it, before or after. For anyone looking for an essential listening release from the monkees, with out a doubt Head is THE ONE.

‘Actual Review’

To some listeners and high fashion critics dismay there has been a certain disappointment concerning two facts that make up the foundation of The Head soundtrack:

Firstly: the album lacks the existence of an obvious hit like Birds and The Bees Chip Douglas produced ‘Daydream Believer’.

Secondly: Only one track Ditty Diego sees the each and every monkee working together in the studio at the same occasion. Meaning that out of the Monkees inner circle session musicians were often employed.

To answer this critique

Fristly: Whatever Chip Douglas had in mind, Head was never meant to be a ‘hit record’ in the traditional sense.

Secondly: As it says ‘Album produced by the Monkees’ it is still very much a band project. Granted no every monkee appears as performing on every single track, but there are various variations such as Davy and Micky on one track, Mike and Davy on another or Pete and Micky on a third one. Then there is always the same criticism always hurled upon the Monkees as a group in saying “They don’t even play their own instruments” this is odd per se, because a person like Nesmith is playing organ on ‘Circle Sky’ I don’t know if you call the organ ‘his own instrument’ but the recording speaks for itself in saying anyhow he gets the job done.

Then again you may always act upon the need for comparison and ponder the same reasoning when you say, did the Beatles play all the instruments on Within You Without You? Did Beach Boys play all their instruments during the Pet Sounds sessions?

Let us take an affirmative stance in saying yes there were a few ‘hired hands’ as you would involved in the making of this LP. The difference from albums previous albums like More of The Monkees or Headquarters or albums that would follow like Changes (1970) or Monkees Present (1969) which also has some elements of self producion from individual memebers. is that on Head as with the precedent Birds and The Bees fact is that it is the Monkees as group calling the shots in being responsible for the final product, i.e not as produced by Mike Nesmith or as produced by Micky Dolenz, as on subsequent albums.

The above said shows that The Monkees had a difficult time getting along inasmuch as creating a common view of what was a could work as plan for good path for the Monkees as a group to follow. Head on the other was a gallant last attempt and it is really good, and there has never been a Monkees LP quite like it before or after.

The conceptualisation of Head as a motion picture soundtrack

As you may be aware I have review and rated as good as every Monkees LP and even own many of their releases in multiple formats.

Head is the obvious favourite above all others, and for me the only monkees LP Worth a five star rating. An Album Like Birds and The Bees, also is a strong contender because they were at a creativity peak there, as are certain moments on albums like Changes, instant replay or ‘Monkees Present,’ but on all the previously mentioned albums as well as the rest of the Monkees catalouge we all found a bunch of interesting ideas or fine songs, but it was only on head they raised to the occasion to highest level in saying that This is going to be a great album all the way.

Head: a Template for Quality over quantity

I know that everyone on RYM is not as interested in the Monkees back-story but to prove a point there are a few things to take in to consideration,

Compare Head to The Birds and The Bees
You will notice:
1.Head has a lesser amount of actual songs
2. There are no Self Penned songs from Jones on Head
3. Nesmiths high time as a composer is less evident
4. There are more ‘obvious hits’ on The Birds and The Bees

Knowing that 1968 was a difficult year for the Monkees you will see that even if The Birds and The Bees features some of the mos creative ideas the band ever came up with, not all of it makes for cohesive album.

Nesmith was on a roll by then, having already grown tired of The Monkees moniker and released a (great) solo album of free form instrumentals ‘Witchita Train Whistle Sings’
The Monkees television series was shutting down and as a group they found themselves having a hard time to figure out which way to follow – most prominently Pete Tork despite long time close cooperation with Stephen Stills(of ‘Buffalo Springfeild’ fame, couldn’t make up his mind about how he wanted his composition to sound and thusly they failed to make an inclusion on ‘
The Birds and The Bees’

Granted Mike Nesmith only contributed one composition to the table while HEAD was in the making, which could be considered a ‘small contribution’ compared to all of the tunes he churned out for his solo LP and ‘The Birds and The Bees’.
Nevertheless, saying Circle Sky was essential to the content of the film, is an understatement. It was a dynamite song. It really proves how successful the Quality over Quantity approach was for the Monkees at this point of time, there is no point in expecting Writing Wrongs part II. ‘Circle Sky’ is a true Nesmith triumph.
There has been a lot of talking about the fact that this version is a studio version essentially recorded by Nesmith and his cohorts more than it is ‘the real’ Monkees.

Playing the organ here in a carefree manner is Nesmith while rest of the instrumention is being handled by bill Chadwick et al,

The top argument is not that Mike Nesmith is not a bad organplayer, for it has been proven he knows his way around that instrument eg. On for Pete’s sake’ from headquarters. The Low down for most people is the fact that a live version from the original monkees was not included on the soundtrack. Despite this criticism you cannot argue against the prolific cohesiveness an dynamic present on this album version I goes all the way down to the cowbell, ie. There is some real sophistication and crunch to it i.e. a great version, the live cut is also good, but has a different consistency of approach. I hope I am not offending anyone in saying this version was the better one to make the flow of the rest of the album work.

There has been more of a discussion on the studio muscians and hired hands on this LP
So Let’s look into that. Many of them such as Neil Young and Dewey Martin (both of them also ‘Buffalo Springfield’ fame) and other people such as Carole King (guitar on As We Go Along), Eddie Hoh (Drummer on ‘Circle Sky’) and the duo of guitarists Keith Allison and Bill Chadwick, previously heard on ‘Circle Sky’ returning for ‘Daddy’s Song all of the above were all long time Monkees collaborators one way or the other.

Headquarters as produced by Chip Douglas was never my favourite album anyway
The songs brought to the table were all stronger, and the vision of how to make an album was better executed. The whimsical ‘Ditty Diego playing around with varispeed features, may be the only track that features all of the four monkees in the same recording booth at the same time, but It surely sets the tone for the LP and it wouldn’t have been complete without it.

Davy’s ‘Daddy Song’ here brought into a Swing Barouque cross over with a great solid guitar lineup of the aforemtioned Keith Allison, Bill Chadwick and Mike Nesmith, makes up for the non existence of self penned number in the same style like ‘Dream World’ or ‘Poster’.
The Monkees had a certain way of working with Harry Nilsson songs and Daddy’s song filled to the brim with wit, is no exception. Here it is inasmuch as Davy although not formally being the composer of this particular number totally makes it his own.

‘As We Go Along’ another Micky Showcase is really folksy and from Carole Kings pen
another song he performs to perfecion is Torks can you dig it, an existential philosophical number with obvious elements of eastern and Spanish folk in a mashup.

The same Can You Dig it is up an running for the title as Torks best contribution to the Monkees Canon with “Long title” being a lyrically juxtaposing guitar groove not far away from the raga like stretching and sweeping genre transcending sounds the Byrds were inro on Fifth Dimension LP” a few years earlier.

In all this we also have the Porpoise Song, a Goffin/ King penned number so essential to the over all confusion of the times and the content of the film that it is also known simply as ‘Theme from Head’ elements of it like with other songs are reworked into the sound collagues through out.

Most tellingly to wrap things up there is a slight reprise of the Theme near the end before the exquisite Ken Thorne composed original score kicks in.

‘Theme from Head’ is rightfully considered one of the Monkees biggest triumphs.
From a different view:

meaning on the album per se it is equally interesting to find that Peter Tork finally comes his to his own rising to the occasion to really contribute. On 'Head' he gets his act together in a manner he failed to on ‘The Birds and The Bees’ apart from the world famous piano part on ‘Daydream Believer’

Micky has the lions share of the Lead vocals but production wise it is more openly a group effort.

‘The Final Say’

The mix between soundcollauges and a selected few of brilliant songs, makes this album the most fully serving of all Monkees LP’s they never succeded in doing anything quite like it before or after. This was the second and last album as produced by the Monkees, Directly after it’s release band members would start parting for their own ways. Knowing that still for a fact that Mike Nesmith had already released his first Solo album, Head still comes of as a group effort, even more so than ‘The Birds and The Bees’ and the material is stronger here than on Headquarters or ‘Piscecs’.

No single member dominates the sessions and the sequencing and presentation of tracks are eclectic in nature.

I would like to make a special not for this 180g vinyl edition
As you might be aware Rhino has every since the first digital remaster tried to fleshout the listeningexperience by not only digitally remastering said tracks but even more so adding ‘outtakes’ and bonus tracks not originally included on the set.

While this may be considered interesting what I saw of the Deluxe boxed set has some dangers of actually taking away the cause of attention to how the orginial album was delicately put together.

A clean-cut edition on Vinyl I think comes closer to what the artists really intended, there is a side 1 and side 2 and when it is over, it is over. The sound on this edition is soft and clean and that is all, there are no additions made to the track list, and none are necessary.

This may not be a five star album in the same sense as the refinement of Verve Urban Hymns are Oasis Be Here Now from 1997 are, but considering the era Head is really enjoyable all the way, the swami speech is definatly not to miss.

R1 528615 Vinyl LP (2011)
JanFreidun Apr 17 2013 5.00 stars
This Album, The Monkees secound outing for 68, was the soundtrack for the feature film of the same name. This was the first album I ever bought by the Monkees, and also their best album (although I haven’t heard all of monkees present and changes, I am quite sure of this)

This is also the album that has the most fascinating production
With the monkees third album (the so called group debut) Headquarters the monkees got more input over the recording, playing and how the products came to be produced. That album is often regarded as the groups best, because of the admire factor of the group members own triumphs, as a band. I am with no reason, neglecting the great moments on that album, and its similar follow-up Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd
Head is still a more amazing production as a whole, regardless if the monkees play all the instruments themselves or not.

The complaint of too few tracks is another complaint I Don’t understand since, all six tracks are amazing in someway, and the sound collages, from the film, made by Jack Nicholson surrounding them, are flowing well with it.

Produced by the Monkees, and Gerry Goffin, this is essentially something else than "_I’m a believer_" ”I can’t get her off my mind" "_Clarksville_"

I find all the songs exciting, and thrilling, as there is a cool vibe surrounding all of them. It is a diverse album that never looses its flow, it’s got the dreamy Porpoise song, that is comes after the interlude of the opening ceremony. the songs instrumental parts, are driven solely by session musicians, yes but great ones at that, the organ sweeps along with one of Micky Dolenzes most swaying vocals, Davy Jones backs up, in an enthusiastic stretching cry in the choruses, which gives it great striking effect, as does the strings the drums, the strumming of the guitars, the bass, (played by Douglas Lubahn, bass session man with the doors.) well its just a great number so to speak.
Written by Goffin & King, it’s also one of the most sentential songs to the content of the film, and the situation of the monkees and overall feelings around life.

its fades out, and in comes the made run piano romp "Ditty Diego- War chant" written by bob Rafelson and Jack Nicholson, its a little ditty, with the monkees swaping the leading roles as vocalists, neatly delivered in a half spoken, and whimsical poetical sense, its madness is also increased by the use of vary speed in the vocals.

Its mocking around with the monkee-imaige in an amusing way too... after thís its time for one of Nesmiths regular triumphs, a rock boost for all with country beat (!) Circle sky is a winning number, with interesting lyrics with it too, also reflecting the over all situation of the monkees playing as a band, and presenting, its also presenting feels of confusion, of the times

the crunch of the guitars, are here being delivered with a boost from Nesmith’s usual studio associates, Bill Chadwick and, Keith Allison, and the bass work and drumming are crashing to, this cut also features some great percussion, that gives the song yet another boost from the cowbell, Nesmith himself, delivers a confident, and steady sort of shouting vocal, and puts pressure on an a organ, to boost the pack up even more on top. (Something that he also did, on For Pete´s sake on, Headquarters)

although there are no other Monkees, having any instrumental or vocal contribution to this studio cut, the live version issued, as a bonus track, and in the film features Micky on drums, Pete on bass, Mike on guitar, and Davy on percussion and organ, this is a good go effort, with rather crazy drum rolls both of the versions are good, the live version has got the direct edge.. But on the other hand studio version has got THE BOOST he he great song anyway.

_Can you dig it?_ follows after a sound snippet interlude, one of Torks more philosophical numbers, the writer plays electric rhythm guitar chunking along good with the lead acoustic fingered playing of Lance Wakley that also plays, bass(!) the sound is psychedelic blues mood, with veins of Spanish and oriental folk music in the guitars, and its great, the rhythm is great too. And the vocals are being delivered neatly with no hassle by Micky Dolenz, who I think, also backs himself up, with harmony.

Pete Tork gets his time to shine later on again on the albums final song "Long Title: Do I have to do this all over again" which is a great blues rock n roll frenzy with Tork delivering both vocals, lead and rhythm guitar, the guitar solo clearly boost of a psychedelic fusion boost, in some way reminding of something that could have been taken from The Byrds third album: Fifth Dimension

Lyrically it seems filled with disappointment and depression, and could very much be reflecting over the Producers of the monkees project, and an overall feeling of feeling hopeless. This was Torks Final contribution to The Monkees, and it shows what a misunderstood talent he was.

in-between this we have an amazing jolly run number too, a Jazz/Baroque/Swing brass punch, written by Harry Nilsson Daddy’s Song which is being delivered fine by Davy, this being his only spotlight number on this record, its good, and not overmushy as some of his contributions might come of as.. it features some groovy chunky guitar go, in it too, from the chunky guitar trio of Chadwick Allison, and Nesmith, (this song was originally cut at a Nesmith session, and the bonus section also feature a shorter version, with lighter brass arrangement, that feature Nesmith on vocals ).

Micky Dolenz also get another moment before its over, and As we go along is surely one of his finest deliveries vocally, this Carole King/Toni Stern Penned number is a sombre folksy piece, with fine guitar and melody structure , the rhythm pattern is interesting to, as is the guitar line-up, delivering this song no other than Ry Cooder, Carole King, and Neil Young, that are three out of the 6 session guitarist delivering this number, the song also finishes off, sweetened by a melodic flute. And it’s great.

The Ending Swami plus strings, as an ongoing guru speech from the film, mixed with voices, clips from the film, and music, when the music finishes, the end credit orchestra romp head on. And it rounds off this album nicely.

This, is the monkees essentially breaking loose from the producer’s frames, and putting some groovy input, without loosing touch, while some monkees albums are albums of amazing moments.. This is an all in all experience, yes there is only 6 actual songs in between all the whimsical and swirling collages, but its all fine !

if one wonders why, Nesmith didn’t get anymore space on this for his talent, have in mind that he pulled of 3 major numbers for the previous Birds and Bees and contributed tasty country balladry to the upcoming Instant Replay while Pete for instance got very little space on the previous and the first two..

if anyone wonders why Davy got no more than one solo spot, well I don’t know, but its one that he really delivered well, and as for the backing on porpoise song,

It’s good. Enough, Balanced, and the most exciting Monkees album Produced, as a whole

don’t stare yourself blind, on how many songs are in the track list, or judge it after how many Instruments, Per monkee, Per track etc.

Perhaps this album is not the quartet, always playing along in the studio, but it’s a great production.
People that might think that the albums 1968 onward is a setback to the production days of more of the monkees, are a bit of their feet, its clear that here one can’t measure the artistic input on the production shape, solely on how many session musicians who played, or who not played.

And one last note, people who seem strict on the fact that Monkees where just the well packed, put together swinging direct impact of I’m a believer.. Please open your ears for this, this album should not be overlooked.. And by the way, I take this over the dullness of Magical Mystery Tour, Any Day

This album, and film is the biggest proof that the monkees creativity, deserves more recognition , which is something you will never, EVER hear, if you stick with those, Very best of, greatest hits collections.

(To Be Honest, before reading about head, I was never that interested in the monkees.... and now I have nearly all of their albums)

(The bonus tracks feature: live version of circle sky, rehearsal takes of ditty Diego, Happy Birthday To You, Pete Tork vocal on Can You Dig It, alternative take of Daddy’s Song with Mike Nesmith on vocals. and radio promos for the film.)

"Porpoise Song"
My, my
The clock in the sky is pounding away
There's so much to say
A face, a voice
And overdub has no choice
An image cannot rejoice

Wanting to be, to hear and to see
Crying to the sky
But the porpoise is laughing, good-bye, good-bye
Good-bye, good-bye, good-bye

Clicks, clacks
Riding the backs of giraffes for laughs
Is alright for awhile
The eagle sings of castles and kings
And things that go with a life of style

Wanting to feel, to know what is real
Living is a lie
The porpoise is waiting, good-bye, good-bye
Published
4509-97659-2 CD (1994)
markgibson May 10 2009 5.00 stars
Oh miles better than The Magical Mystery Tour, owing to the fact the Monkee's could actually act. Come's this puzzling sound scape called the Head soundtrack. The songs are great,

Porpoise Song- Carole King/Jerry Goffin written. Tin Pan Alley goes psychedelic in a little charmer with nods to the San Francisco freak out scene. It's a mighty fine song, which you guess so, being by the pen of the divine Mrs King.

Circle Sky- The live version and one from the movie is the one to check out. The Ness's brilliant guitar licks and the full band showing how its done. The Monkee's were known at the time to do a full 2 hour live show, and it pays off here. Like a country garage band. Raw.

Can you dig It?- Peter Tork's masterpiece. Sung by Mickey on the album, but its a raga infused saunter up the same street as the Byrds were exploring with 8 Miles High. And a nod 20 years before hand to the Manchester dance sound.

AS we go along- Beautiful. And with guitars by Neil Young and Ry Cooder. The song works well with the movie too, providing a perfect marriage of sound and vision. And I love the little wig out section at the end.

Do I have to do this all over Again- It's another beat infused song. With nods to the late 60's psych scene. Strange to think the Monkee's did some of the best exponents of this kind of music. And were still considered a childrens show band. Not that theres anything wrong in being pure pop. But dig deeper and theres a lot more going on than history allows us to believe.

Daddy's song- I love a bit of Nilsson he always had a cute sound that was very refreshing but always with something else going on. And his melodies are always top draw.

A top band. and very under rated.

By the way the sound collages tipping a wink to the world of advertisements and also John Cale which make up the rest of the album are really something else too.

The album is on youtube:
============================================================================

THE SAVAGE RESURRECTION - THE SAVAGE RESURRECTION
Released 1968
Did not chart

Another cult psychedelic album. This was the final year that psychedelic music was really popular. By late 1969 that era was over. This one is also somewhat blues rock and somewhat garage sounding too. On RYM it's got a 3.67 on 312 ratings.

some reviews:

psych_rock Mar 08 2015 4.50 stars
Very good album
Ok I updated this to 4,5.
Awesome acid Psych, a little better songwriting and it could have been a masterpiece but
"Thing In E" is one of my favorite psych songs from the 60s.

The best songs on the album are "Thing In "E""and "Tahitian Melody"

4.5 Stars

/Chris

tymeshifter Mar 06 2014 ▼ 4.50 stars
A good friend here on the site has pointed out they I have neglected to review this fine album, so hopefully, this will correct that oversight. This has long been an absolute fave of mine. I even once met Bill Harper through a mutual friend while he was with a later band known as The Stepford Husbands. But he got called away from the table before I could get into this band with him. Their album is pure psychedelic heaven! While I often gravitate toward the heavier sounds, with all of their psychedelic effects and mayhem, this one doesn't really fit that bill. I won't tell you it doesn't have its share of heavy sounds, but I don't think that that is an accurate description of their music. They represent that rare San Francisco band that psychedelically rock your world with subtle sounds on tracks such as the awesome "Tahitian Melody", while blowing you away with the intertwined dual guitars found on almost every other track. The extended blues fest found on "Jammin" is pretty much what the title suggests. Fuzz guitar abounds, and Harper's relatively fair voice lends itself well to their reserved style. I can only imagine what a Savage Resurrection performance was like, and they would have fit in well sharing the bill with contemporaries such as Kak and The Frumious Bandersnatch, or even Blue Cheer for that matter. Quality material such as this sounds good with almost anything. I can't recommend this album enough.

CooperBolan Dec 10 2011 4.50 stars
Now this one is an interesting release right here. This band is pretty unknown in these days and that's a bit shame since their only studio album includes some amazing stuff. These guys were so young when they released this album but their inexperience cannot be heard in their music. They're playing like professionals here.

The stand out cuts include "Tahitian Melody", "Jammin'", "Appeal to the Happy" and the closing track "Expectations". But you can't find any weak parts from this album. Mostly these songs are damn awesome psych rockers. The album cover is fantastic too.

This one is a must-have album for the psych rock fans even though I'm not rating this with five stars. It would have been nice to listen to another studio disc by these guys and see how their music would have changed when they got a bit older. But sadly this was their only album before their disbanding. I have the original first US pressing of this LP.

The album is on youtube:

JOHNNIE TAYLOR - WHO'S MAKING LOVE
Released Nov-Dec 1968
Billboard LP chart # 42 - 18 weeks

Includes 2 big hit singles, the title track and "Take Care of Your Homework." "Can't Trust Your Neighbor" is about the same subject as the 2 hits. Johnnie's career was about that same subject (cheating) for years. For a soul album that was not a huge crossover seller, it does pretty well at RYM with a 3.71 on 122 ratings. Love the hrons!

Some reviews:

soulmakossa Oct 14 2007 5.00 stars
The BIG one...

Yes, the title-track was a huge, huge hit... but this album is killer all the way through. Johnnie Taylor does it all here; gettin' down, bein' bluesy, balladeering... you name it. A must for Soul fans.

Ironically, Taylor himself initially didn't like "Who's Making Love", which he dubbed the 'boogaty-boogaty'-thing. Be that as it may, his vocal performance really immortalizes this stomping, rocking workout. The groove is so very, very tight.

Trebling, reverberating guitars set off the sweaty blues vamp "I'm Not the Same Person", while the delightfully arranged (check those flutes!) mid-tempo ballad "Hold On This Time" is plain sweet.

Taylor's reaffirming his blues credentials yet again on the bitter 'slugged-in-the-stomach' wailer "Can't Trust Your Neighbor" and the resigned, pensive lamentation "Woman Across the River" (both later covered by Freddie King).

Right after that, Johnnie lays another hard-socking, busy soul groove on you with the funky "Take Care of Your Homework", featuring some nice, punching stabs at the organ during the instrumental break.

"I'm Trying" is one of my favs here... a sweet, plaintive ballad sporting some of Johnnie's finest pleading... Superb brassy intro, as well. The desolate mood is sustained on the painfully sensitive "Poor Make Believer", which is a tastefully orchestrated, quiet, calm and somewhat depressing ballad.

The album closes with no less than three stupendously deep, raw blues excursions: the pounding "Payback Hurts", the wistful "Mr. Nobody Is Somebody Now" and the decided "I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water".

Interestingly, the CD reissue includes the previously unreleased gem "Rumours"... why this gorgeous low-key workout remained in the cans for decades is a mystery to me.

Nodima Jun 21 2011 4.50 stars
Who's Making Love... (Produced by Al Jackson, Jr. & Don Davis) [Stax Records 1968]

A1|Who's Making Love?|2:47 5
A2|I'm Not the Same Person|3:03 4.75 - 5
A3|Hold on This Time|2:36 4
A4|Woman Across the River|3:14 4
A5|Can't Trust Your Neighbor|2:39 5
The lyric hilariously turns to a rant about an untrustworthy neighbor at the end, sort of like the shoutout section at the end of hip-hop tracks in the '90s. Except sung wonderfully.

B1|Take Care of Your Homework|2:38 4 - 4.5
B2|I'm Trying|2:59 4.25 - 5
B3|Poor Make Believer|2:42 4
B4|Payback Hurts|2:28 4.75 - 5
B5|Mr. Nobody Is Somebody|3:21 5
B6|I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water|2:47 5

Side A: 22.75 - 23 4.58/5 91 - 92%: Best of decade
Side B: 27.5 - 28 4.63/5 92 - 93%: Best of decade
Overall: 50.25 - 51 4.60/5 91 - 93%: Best of decade; BUY IT

Full of all the Motown-cum-dirty south hallmarks you'd hope for, Who's Making Love... is one of soul's great vocal turns. Equal parts James Brown and Ray Charles, Taylor was really one of the finest vocalists of his time and one of the more charismatic ones to boot. The album kicks off with it's title track, a real romper of a legendary track and one of the crown-bearers of black soul's long line of infidelity anthems. The song hints at indictment of the practice, but mostly comes off to my ears like a song about Johnnie Taylor having no problems making love to a housewife while the spouse is out making love to a mistress. The circular logic of the song is just as addictive as the music itself.

From there, Taylor gives us just about every style he's capable of and the Stax team provides him with all the right backdrops and lyrics to make the music sing and his vocals shine. It's hard to say these guys ever do wrong here, there are clichés and songs less interesting than others, but that's essentially the case with just about any album, especially the ones that came off the Motown and Stax assembly lines. Obviously none of that should really deter you from a Stax record from the late 1960s, but I'm sure some foolish, poor souls have allowed it to.

The album is on youtube!
MORE LATER! Only a few more albums to go.
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

STAPLE SINGERS - SOUL FOLK IN ACTION
Released October 1968
Did not chart

The Staples are making the transition here from gospel to secular music. They do "Dock of the Bay" and "The Weight" on this album. It's got a 3.69 from 73 ratings on RYM. Here are some reviews:

soulmakossa Oct 14 2007 4.50 stars
The Staple Singers were already legends when they were signed to Stax. Led by family nestor Pops 'Roebuck' Staples, the Singers - consisting of son Pervis and daughters Mavis and Cleotha -had been recording since the '50s. Known for its fiery gospel spirit and political conscienceness, they were sure to make something special at Stax.

'Soul Folk in Action', the group's Stax debut, wasn't a commercial success, but it is a Southern Soul must-own nonetheless. The brilliant, funky opener "We've Got to Get Ourselves Together" sets the standard: Mavis on lead with the rest of the Staples chiming in those irresistible country church harmonies. Mavis is given the spotlight on a warmly orchestrated "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" - a tribute to Otis Redding, of course - but it's when the whole family joins in at the end that the chills will really start to run down your spine.

Socio-political to the core, a host of message driven tunes makes up the bulk of 'Soul Folk in Action'; it ranges from the slightly Latinesque "Top of the Mountain" to the way down and out country church burner "Long Walk to D.C." In between there's the foot stompin', anthemic "Got to Be Some Changes Made", the organ driven "The Ghetto" and the prophetic, bouncy "People, My People".

Most intense of all may well be the non-chalantly struttin' "I See It", which clevery incorporates bits and pieces of the "Stars and Stripes Forever" melody. Mavis is really letting it all out on this one...

The Band's "The Weight" seems to have been tailor-made for the Staple Singers; Mavis turns in another breathtaking vocal while that rustic, country funk groove rolls on and on.

And wow... "Slow Train"... haunting deep gospel wailing right there...

The Staples had arrived in Soul Street, and much more was to come...

1969SL Jan 09 2014 4.50 stars
I love "The Staples Singers" on "Stax" - it was match made in Heaven. They moved nicely with the times without sacrificing anything from their original sound, in fact they just got better by getting the right backing musicians and some real funky rhythms. "Soul Folk in Action" finds them in transition into a full-blown chart-topping hit makers and its all fine as it could be without sounding overtly commercial. Their cover of "Sittin' on the dock of the Bay" is right there with the original and the rest of equally high quality. In her interviews Mavis Staples had always claimed that it bothered her that all the attention was mostly on her, when the music was result of the whole family - its clear here that she was right because although yes, her voice was in the centre, her family supported her every step of the way and what they created was labour of love from everybody. On this album everything just clicked right.

The album is on a YT playlist, but the songs are out of order:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX22U46 ... CkkjC3AEmZ

DELFONICS - LA LA MEANS I LOVE YOU
Released May 1968
Billboard LP chart # 100 - 6 weeks

This group was exceedingly influential, starting the high tenor soul lead vocal group sound that continued into the 1970s with groups like the Stylistics, Bloodstone and the Moments. The title track is one of the all time love songs on Philadelphia radio. Other standout tracks on this album include "I'm Sorry," "Break Your Promise" and "Alfie."

On RYM it's 3.56 from 194 ratings. Here are some reviews:

moondoggieferg Oct 19 2007 4.00 stars
Nothing much to add to the positive comments already here - if you're at all familiar with other Delfonics or just sweet soul or soul music at all, really....I doubt that you'd be disappointed by what's on offer here.

And yeah - the Bacharach/David songs and such are pretty damn fine in their incarnations here, too.

jcjh20 Sep 25 2007 4.00 stars
This album is slightly flawed yet still a stone cold classic Philly soul record by one of the best and innovative soul groups in music history. The title track is one of my favorite songs ever, which has some of the most sophisticated, ethereal Phil Spectorish productions and gorgeous string arrangement I've ever heard in any song. It's just one of those amazing singles that permanently give you the chills no matter where you are or how many times you've listened to it. "I'm Sorry", "Break Your Promise", and "Can You Remember" are almost rewrites of the "La La Means I Love You" formula, but they're songs that are beautiful and heartbreaking just the same. Listening to a whole album at once of sweet, sentimental, sophisticatedly produced material like this might lose its appeal and beauty on you after awhile, but overall there's not a bad song on here. The covers are also really well done, and it's nice to hear songs like "Hurt So Bad" and "A Lover's Concerto" -- which were beautiful songs to begin with -- done Philly soul style. One of those great time capsules of the emerging birth of a fresh new genre while also being a completely timeless piece of work.

Dick_B1 Sep 30 2013 3.50 stars
Not Bad After All These Years.
From what I read, this was one of the most influential albums in terms of the development of the Philly Soul genre. Be that as it may, it's not really all that stand out in quality in comparison to the others in this field. I love the title track, but generally all the rest is just solid to average. Some pretty good covers (like "The Look of Love" particularly) and cool original pieces on here that are moderately enjoyable. I mean they're all lovey-dovey songs really, stuff that you picture in a teenage romance film set in this period. Boy-meets-girl as someone simply put it.

YES! Youtube has the full album:

JOHN MAYALL - BLUES FROM THE LAUREL CANYON
Released November 1968
Billboard LP chart # 68 - 17 weeks

His first album after leaving the Bluesbreakers, it was inspired by a 3 week vacation he took in L.A.. No old blues songs on this one. On RYM it's 3.82 from 672 ratings. They have it as the # 56 album of 1968. The first track sounds like Jim Morrison singing.

Some reviews:

blueberry Apr 20 2013 5.00 stars
Hippie spirit meets blues rock.
After the announcement of the disintegration of the original Bluesbreakers in the summer of 1968, John Mayall went on a vacation to L.A. for 3 weeks. And it was there in the Laurel Canyon (his future home and a mekka for dropouts, musicians and flower people at that time) where he got new indentations and a new inspirations for his music. Supported by Mick Taylor (guitar), Colin Allan (drums) and Stephen Thompson (bass), the album could be conisdered as a loose concept of the journey on this vacation. Starting with the arrival on 'Vacation', to the meeting in 'Laurel Canyon Home' with indian spirits and sounds on 'Medicine Man', a homage to Bob 'The Bear' Hite and Canned Heat, and an guest appearance of his former guitarist Peter Green on the fantastic 'First Time Alone', a declaration of love in a blues key. He ended his spiritual trip with the closing 'Fly Tomrorrow'

ParpaBaba Mar 10 2009 5.00 stars
This is my favourite album of Mayall. "Fly Tomorrow" is one of my favourite songs of all time.

somanyroads Jan 29 2009 5.00 stars
One of the best John Mayall album of all times. The Bluesbreakers' last effort in the 60s, till the mid 80s. Here are a lot of progressive elements. The guitarist is Mick Taylor, who went to Rolling Stones. But with Mayall he played very well, one of the best guitar player. A fantastic solo in "Fly Tomorrow". And here is a beautiful Blues: "First Time Alone" featuring the previous Bluesbreakers member Peter Green.

werbouque Jan 20 2007 5.00 stars
This album is a must & the best guitar solo Mick Taylor has ever made is here, in "Fly tomorrow". C'est de la minute 3:05 à 3:18 que toujours j'écoute, encore et encore, avant de laisser filer le tout

CooperBolan Dec 29 2011 4.50 stars
Blues From Laurel Canyon is an important part in John Mayall's career since it was his first studio album after the breakup of the Bluesbreakers earlier that year. The material on this album is very high quality blues and blues rock and you know what to expect if you're familiar with Mayall's music at all.

The first side is clearly the weaker one here even though it's very good too. Maybe it just feels a bit loose because the B-side is so fantastic. Especially the last three songs represent some of the finest material this legend has ever released. Some songs on this album tell about some of the people Mayall met in his visit to the USA. "2401" is about Frank Zappa and "The Bear" is about Canned Heat.

Mayall's fans will get what they want with Blues From Laurel Canyon. Even if the B-side is powerful as hell some parts on the A-side makes me rate this with 4,5 stars instead of five stars.

The album is on youtube:

MORE LATER
Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Post by Hymie »

OUTSIDERS - CQ
Released October 1968
Did not chart

These are not the "Time Won't Let Me" Outsiders. This is a Dutch Psych/Proto Punk band. Compared to VU by some people. It fares very well at RYM with a 3.72 in 452 ratings.

Some reviews:

meandmyarmy Mar 24 2008 5.00 stars
If the lead singer’s name, Wally Tax, and the genre “Nederpop” doesn’t already make you want to pick up an album by The Outsiders let me take the time to persuade you to do so, specifically their sophomore effort C.Q.

In 1968 Dutch band The Outsiders recorded the follow up to their live self-titled debut. Rather than fitting neatly into the psychedelic pop mould created by their British and American counterparts, they experimented with a number of distinctive sounds and textures in order to produce one of the most unique and overlooked sixties psychedelic rock and roll albums.

The Outsiders push their rhythm section hard during their rock and roll numbers which create a driving beat, bound to catch the attention of any hip shaker. The aggressive rhythms and dark vocals show hints of punk rock well before the term even existed. Tracks like “Misfit” with its rolling bass and the chord bashing of “The Man On The Dune” are sure to satisfy your primal amplifier-fueled urges.

The most experimental aspect of this album comes in the form of delving into noise. Tracks such as “C.Q.” are sprawling waves of distortion supported by moments of field recordings and psychedelia. It is used most effectively in “Doctor” as just as we start to move along to the infectious guitar lines, the song drops out and is replaced by an ugly mess of eerie sounds. Eventually we return to some crunching distortion and that guitar line, which we are now twice as happy to hear.

Though The Outsiders aren’t without a softer side. Despite being known for their rollicking, raucous live performances they demonstrate their ability to write a simple pop tune or ballad. Heart-felt subjects such as the loss of a parent or love, are touched on from different perspectives as the beautiful melody of “You’re Everything On Earth” makes me want to cry over a long lost love I’ve never even had. Whereas the upbeat “Daddy Died On Saturday” chooses to joyously celebrate life, rather than dwell in death.

In the event that you get a sudden hankerin’ for a folk/blues tune at some point throughout the album, don’t worry, The Outsiders have got you covered. “Happyville” surely contains one the most enjoyable harmonica hooks ever put on wax and “Do You Feel Alright”, the closer of the bonus tracks edition, brings the album to a catchy, reverberated conclusion, one that does indeed, make me feel alright.

As much as everyone loves a name drop or two, I’d rather not make one, firstly because I don’t want to detract from the originality in this album that I enjoy so much, and well I wouldn’t be able to think of one anyway. This album has something for everyone, and not only that but it does that something well, and that’s exciting.

Tondeman Nov 19 2006 5.00 stars
Imo the best Dutch album of all time and after Ogden's Nut Gone Flake my favourite album of '68.

yoyomama1 Sep 19 2012 ▼ 4.50 stars
It doesn't get much better than this in the genre. This is freakbeat's final form. 1965 meets 1976 in a back alley. Dark and heavy and way ahead of its time. It's somewhere between The Velvet Underground and The Stooges in style. Mostly heavy garage with psych undertones (and overtones!) "Wish You Were Here With Me Today" sounds like a lost Byrds track from their psychedelic stage.

Long live Wally Tax.

RustyJames Sep 17 2012 ▼ 4.50 stars
One thousand years ahead of its time.

vandaleyes May 02 2009 4.50 stars
I'm convinced "Misfit" doesn't belong in the 60's. I mean, that shit is menacing. What was it doing there?

CQ is an interesting trip into the dark side of psychedelia with a sound that seems ahead of its time. It's definitely not run-of-the-mill psychedelia and has a mood all of its own. Best of all, it doesn't noodle around. Experimental, sometimes fuzzy, always engaging, sometimes scary, and consistently creative stuff from this Dutch band.

iauc Mar 14 2008 4.50 stars
Decía un connotado crítico que los Outsiders fueron la mejor banda de habla no inglesa de los 60 y si bien no me arriesgaría a ratificarlo este CQ debe estar tranquilamente entre los 10 mejores álbumes de sicodelia producidos fuera de Estados Unidos e Inglaterra. Predominan frenéticos ritmos con guitarras y baterías escapándose velozmente, con una intensidad que nada tiene que envidiar a los mejores exponentes del garaje, pero añadiendo esa experimentación e invención propia de la sicodelia del momento. Los Outsiders nunca fueron un grupo de una sola línea y por ello podían también hacer canciones melódicas, convincentes baladas y acercarse al folk rock. Si uno se imagina esto grabado en los estudios Abbey Road pudo haber estado casi al mismo nivel del tremendo S.F. Sorrow. Una excelente señal de la calidad de un álbum es cuando se hace difícil destacar unas pocas canciones; prácticamente todo aquí es superlativo así que antes de comenzar a buscar rarezas de dudoso nivel mejor pasar por Holanda y quedarse un buen rato pegado con estos Outsiders.

hellaguru May 12 2016 4.00 stars
Exists in the same realm as The Velvet Underground's debut and The Red Krayola's second album- a late 60's album gleefully out of step with the times that seemed to predict where music would be headed in the ensuing decades. This is evident from opener "Misfit", which is punk to the core a decade before punk. "Doctor" is a pounding cartoony nightmare- the musical equivalent of a B-movie about a mad scientist. The cartoons continue with "The Man On The Dune" and "The Bear", which are both mini masterpieces, frenzied rhythmic oddities. "Zsarrahh" and the title track are droning space explorations. Most of the other tracks are more conventional, displaying an early Rolling Stones influence but with a slightly skewed, sarcastic streak (especially on "Happyville" and "I Love You #2"). A shame the band didn't have at least one more album in them.

The album is on youtube:

MAD RIVER - MAD RIVER
Released 1968
Did not chart

Another cult psychedelic album, just time from a sort of a jam band. On RYM it's at 3.62 on 590 ratings. Some reviews:

leland May 15 2006 5.00 stars
The US does *dark* far more convincingly than it does *light.* Maybe that's why for every hundred blinding strobelights---Barry Manilow, Paris Hilton, Oprah eagerly present themselves as glaring examples---there's a Mad River of darkness to cool and soothe the burn.

It helps not to get caught up in the psychedelia genre-fication of Mad River in order to best appreciate them. Back in the '70s, when my vekkid-obsessed peers and I were scavenging the flea mahhkits for weiuuhd vinyl, this one never came up. I'm glad because, as a recent discovery, it remains unsullied by hindsight.

Mad River has several elements I seek under my Rock:

1) Out-of-context lyrics that allude to a troubled emotional state through roughly-sketched narratives, without ever tipping their hand as to the source of their despair.
2) Complex, mercurial compositions that frequently flirt with levels of atonality way uncommon in '60s pop. There's a fair amount of the requisite prolonged substance-enhanced noodling of yore, but it all converges to enticingly and consistently bear bleak witness to an overheated engine on an unmaintained desert road.
3) Unwaveringly bleak minor chords punctuated by unexpected rhythmic about-faces and anxiously-quavered nightmare vocals, like the fallout from tainted blotter.
4) A patchwork of shadowy atmospheres that together spin a landscape you need to squint at in the dark to see, without reliance on the commercial contrivance of a "concept album."
5) An obscure vision by a band of phantoms who seem to have long hence disappeared into the ether forty years after issuing this unsung contribution to Bay Area 'nam-era cultural paranoia.

Of the seven songs, three epics top the seven-minute mark, under Beat-Junky titles like "Merciful Monks" and "Amphetamine Gazelle." Then, true to Mad River's eccentric form, the whole tormented trip unexpectedly ends with "Hush, Julian," a barely one-minute long, creepy splinter of a lullaby, like an Anglo-Norman relic preserved for centuries in the sands of an interior-Californian desert.

GAZHOO117 Mar 10 2012 5.00 stars
Possibly my favorite album of all times. Mindblowing acid rock with three incredible lead guitars. Having twenty five years ago randomly discovered it (f...k the Belgian radio presenters which are so narrow-minded), I am literally blown away at each listen by its threatening and oppressive atmosphere. Also contains my favorite guitar solo on "War goes on". One could imagine another "Happy trails" (QMS) by a band capable to write songs. Thank you for giving me the chance to tell my anger against the (few) Belgian radio presenters who did absolutely nothing to favor the musical discoveries I made in my miserable life. BELGIUM is so dreary (culturally speaking).

hello43 Jun 09 2009 5.00 stars
Every song is film noir creepy, and film noir obsessive. This is one wild disturbed ride. The acid these guys were dropping was not orange sunshine. Heavy psych vibes all over the place. Every song is compelling. I've heard more creative psych than this (though this is creative). I haven't heard anything quite this emotional or terminal though. Everything stands out in 3D proportion. Great record. A must hear for psych heads.

CooperBolan Mar 15 2012 5.00 stars
There were so many great forgotten psychedelic rock albums and bands that never got much appreciation and fame in their active period. Mad River is one of those and their S/T debut album is just a mindblowing totality full of really nice material.

Actually the album starts out with maybe my least favourite song here which is "Merciful Monks" but after that the songs just get stronger and stronger. The longer songs are all pretty much perfect but the shorter numbers won't disappoint the psych fanatics either. The album feels just like the album cover looks. So very dark and pretty slow psychedelic rock sound which really pleases my ears. If I need to complain about something I would say that I've heard far better vocalists inside the psychedelic rock scene than this singer. He sounds a bit tired at times.

In case you're an acid rock fanatic and you really love the late 60's psychedelic music you've got to give a try to Mad River's great S/T debut. Seven songs and 40 minutes of quaranteed high quality music from the year 1968.

herkyjerky Nov 24 2004 5.00 stars
One of the most innovative and brilliant rock albums in history. Also one of the most overlooked and obscure masterpieces in history.

Hammond's vocals are shocking and he can be placed alongside Tim Buckley and Peter Hammill for very special and intense male rock vocals.

The band had two electric guitarists and they were smoking hot. They were also very experimental and introduced all kinds of elements that didn't have clear precedents in the rock culture of theirs and earlier times.

The music has a very serious mood, perhaps a little scary, anguished, or somber.

There's a youtube playlist with the 7 tracks from this album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGf2OBk ... z_WUF96FXB

===============================================================================

THE SMOKE - THE SMOKE
Released 1968
Did not chart

This the The Smoke that featured Michael Lloyd of The Rogues and The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band. There were several other bands called "Smoke" and "The Smoke." I would describe these guys as Psychedelic Pop, Baroque Pop. There are a bunch of good tracks on this album.

On RYM it's 3.64 from 378 ratings. Here are some reviews:

hellaguru Jul 15 2015 5.00 stars
One of those buried treasure albums from the psychedelic 60's that I just love discovering and one of the truly inexplicable cases of a one-album wonder. Not to be confused with the more well-known 60's group from the UK called The Smoke, these guys were from LA and have a smooth, studio crafted pysch-pop sound oftentimes reminiscent of The Beach Boys. In fact, the catchy tongue-in-cheek history lesson opener "Cowboys & Indians" could practically be a "Smile" outtake. Elsewhere, both the bouncy "Umbrella" and the wistful "October Country" display a British influence and "Looking Thru The Mirror", "Self Analysis" and the brief yet brilliant "Philosophy" suggest a subtle inward-glancing album concept. Strings and horns are creatively and tastefully used (sometimes recalling Love's "Forever Changes") and lush and lovely harmonies drench practically every cut. In short, this is a lost 60's classic that everyone should hear.

Perello Sep 04 2014 5.00 stars
Hay alguna vez (pocas) que casualmente cae en tus manos un disco “Beatles Quality”. Este es uno. Es un disco bastante desconocido al que he llegado por casualidad, básicamente buscando información sobre una banda llamada “The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band” en cuyas filas militó un chaval que apuntaba maneras y que se llama Michael Lloyd. Hurgando en la biografía de este personaje (hay poca cosa por internet) encuentro que fue una especie de niño prodigio, fue productor y compositor para el grupo “October Country” y que a los veintipocos años lo nombraron directivo de una importante compañía discográfica. La cuestión aquí es que de todas las cosas que este hombre haya hecho (que son muchas) este disco figura como una de las obras maestras de los años 60. El disco en sí es un canto glorioso al mejor pop barroco, un homenaje a los Beach Boys, a los Beatles y un disco imprescindible para fans de Left Banke, Montage o Sagittarius.

Coma_man Sep 08 2010 5.00 stars
Wow...

This is a truly surprising and unique record.

I'm a huge fan of the likes of Millennium and Tomorrow, and this record as just as good as the sole masterpieces of the aforementioned bands. But when Millennium and Tomorrow sound like themselves, the Smoke sounds like a melange of THE WHITE ALBUM, SGT. PEPPERS, Super Furry Animals and Blur... well, they do sound like themselves alright, but there's something about this release that makes it sound as if it was recorded in the 90s, or the last decade.

Truly a great achievement!!

bibopar Oct 07 2009 5.00 stars
Easily in my top ten psych albums of the '60s. Get it!

The album is on youtube:
That is it folks. I figure we have talked about the acclaimed albums to death around here. Let's talk about some other good albums that are not quite acclaimed enough to be on the site until Henrik expands the number of albums listed.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

So, let's see. Here's the summary of albums featured in Henrik's larger spreadsheet, and my prediction of their progression in the next albums update:

- Arthur Brown: featured in the spreadsheet, no chance of making it on AM.
- Canned Heat: same.
- Wilson Pickett: featured in the spreadsheet, will improve its position marginally. A huge maybe.
- The Move: same.
- Sagittarius: featured in the spreadsheet, will improve its position. Could make it.
- Nazz: featured in the spreadsheet, will improve its position marginally. Huge maybe category.
- Percy Sledge: not in the spreadsheet at all.
- James Brown: featured in the spreadsheet, no chance of making it on AM. Another of his 1968 albums, Thinking About Little Willie John, is also in the spreadsheet, but stands no chance either.
- Solomon Burke: featured in the spreadsheet, will improve its position marginally. Huge maybe category.
- Sly & the Family Stone - Life: same.
- Eric Burdon & the Animals: featured in the spreadsheet, no chance of making it on AM.
- The Chocolate Watchband: same.
- Billy Nichols: featured in the spreadsheet, will improve its position marginally. Huge maybe category.
- July: featured in the spreadsheet, no chance of making it on AM.
- Tomorrow: featured in the spreadsheet, will improve its position. Could make it.
- Donovan: featured in the spreadsheet, will improve its position marginally. Huge maybe category.
- Amboy Dukes: featured in the spreadsheet, no chance of making it on AM. Several other Nugent albums will easily do, however.
- Turtles: featured in the spreadsheet, no chance of making it on AM.
- Sly & the Family Stone - Dance to the Music: featured in the spreadsheet, will improve its position marginally. Huge maybe category.
- Joe South: featured in the spreadsheet, no chance of making it on AM.
- Monkees: featured in the spreadsheet, will improve its position marginally. Huge maybe category.
- The Savage Resurrection: same.
- Johnnie Taylor: featured in the spreadsheet, no chance of making it on AM.
- Staple Singers: same.
- Delfonics: same.
- John Mayall: featured in the spreadsheet, will improve its position marginally. Huge maybe category.
- Outsiders: featured in the spreadsheet, will improve its position. Could make it.
- Mad River: featured in the spreadsheet, no chance of making it on AM.
- The Smoke: featured in the spreadsheet, no chance of making it on AM.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”