Hall of Acclaim 2016 and 2017!!

Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Hall of Acclaim 2016 and 2017!!

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Essentially copy & pasted from JimmyJazz. Let me know soon if you want any changes to the system.

So how this game works: nominate at least five and no more than ten acts that you feel are deserving of being in the AMF Hall. Additionally, you can nominate up to three “backstage wing” individuals who you feel deserve to be in the Hall. “Backstage wing” types include songwriters, producers, record company founders/owners, music video directors, and critics/scholars. This is entirely optional, however, and your list will not be deemed ineligible if you don’t nominate anyone in this category. Another thing regarding acts: Please consider their work BEFORE the year 2016 for round 1, and before the year 2017 for round 2, when making your choices.

The point system I will be using is as basic as possible: #1 = 10 pts., #2 = 9 pts., and so on. For the backstage lists, if you only include one person, that person will get 3 points, a 2-person list has the second person get 2 points, and so on. I will keep this poll up through the end of October 16, UTC timezone, for round 1; and through the end of October 31st for round 2. The top four vote getters for each round will be the inductees of 2016 and 2017, respectively. In the case of a tie, a vote will be used to determine the winner.

With that all said and taken care of, let the voting begin!
Last edited by Live in Phoenix on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Re: Hall of Acclaim 2017!!

Post by Pierre »

The list of inductees so far, updated with the 2015 poll winners:

Performers:

ABBA
AC/DC
Aerosmith
Animal Collective
Aphex Twin
Arcade Fire
Louis Armstrong
The Band
Alain Bashung
The Beach Boys
Beastie Boys
The Beatles
Beck
Belle and Sebastian
Chuck Berry
Big Star
Björk
Black Sabbath
Blondie
Blur
David Bowie
Georges Brassens
Jacques Brel
James Brown
Jeff Buckley
Kate Bush
Buzzcocks
The Byrds
Can
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band
Johnny Cash
Nick Cave
Ray Charles
The Chemical Brothers
Chic
The Clash
Patsy Cline
Cocteau Twins
Leonard Cohen
Coldplay
Nat King Cole
Ornette Coleman
John Coltrane
Sam Cooke
Elvis Costello
Cream
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Cure
Daft Punk
Miles Davis
De La Soul
Deep Purple
Depeche Mode
Bo Diddley
DJ Shadow
Dr. Dre
Fats Domino
The Doors
Nick Drake
Bob Dylan
The Eagles
Duke Ellington
Eminem
Brian Eno
Eurythmics
The Everly Brothers
Ella Fitzgerald
The Flaming Lips
Fleetwood Mac
Aretha Franklin
Franz Ferdinand
Peter Gabriel
Serge Gainsbourg
Marvin Gaye
Genesis
Al Green
Guns N’ Roses
Woody Guthrie
Merle Haggard
PJ Harvey
Jimi Hendrix
Billie Holiday
Buddy Holly
Howlin’ Wolf
Hüsker Dü
Michael Jackson
The Jam
Jay-Z
Jefferson Airplane
The Jesus and Mary Chain
Elton John
Robert Johnson
George Jones
Janis Joplin/Big Brother and the Holding Company
Joy Division
B. B. King
Carole King
King Crimson
The Kinks
The Knife
Kraftwerk
Fela Kuti
LCD Soundsystem
Leadbelly
Led Zeppelin
John Lennon
Jerry Lee Lewis
Little Richard
Love
Low
Lynyrd Skynyrd
M.I.A.
Madonna
Bob Marley and the Wailers
Massive Attack
Curtis Mayfield
Metallica
Charles Mingus
Joni Mitchell
Thelonious Monk
Bill Monroe
Ennio Morricone
Van Morrison
My Bloody Valentine
Nas
The National
Willie Nelson
Neutral Milk Hotel
New Order
Randy Newman
Joanna Newsom
Nine Inch Nails
Nirvana
The Notorious B.I.G.
N.W.A.
Oasis
Roy Orbison
OutKast
Parliament/Funkadelic
Charlie Parker
Gram Parsons
Pavement
Pearl Jam
Pet Shop Boys
Edith Piaf
Pink Floyd
Pixies
The Pogues
The Police
Iggy Pop
Portishead
Elvis Presley
Pretenders
Primal Scream
Prince
Public Enemy
Pulp
Queen
Queens of the Stone Age
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Ramones
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Otis Redding
Lou Reed
Django Reinhardt
R.E.M.
The Replacements
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
The Rolling Stones
Roxy Music
Run-D.M.C.
Santana
Sex Pistols
Sigur Ros
Paul Simon
Simon and Garfunkel
Nina Simone
Frank Sinatra
Siousxie and the Banshees
Sleater-Kinney
Sly and the Family Stone
The Smashing Pumpkins
Elliott Smith
Patti Smith
The Smiths
Soda Stereo
Sonic Youth
The Specials
Dusty Springfield
Bruce Springsteen
Steely Dan
Sufjan Stevens
The Stone Roses
The Stooges
The Strokes
Suede
The Supremes
T. Rex
Talk Talk
Talking Heads
Television
The Temptations
A Tribe Called Quest
TV on the Radio
U2
The Velvet Underground
Tom Waits
Scott Walker
Muddy Waters
Kanye West
The White Stripes
The Who
Wilco
Hank Williams
Wire
Stevie Wonder
Wu-Tang Clan
X
XTC
Yes
Neil Young
Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention
Warren Zevon

Backstage Wing:

Steve Albini
Burt Bacharach and Hal David
Lester Bangs
Irving Berlin
Chris Blackwell
Booker T. & the MG’s
Leonard Chess
Robert Christgau
Miles and Ian Copeland
Ry Cooder
Willie Dixon
DJ Kool Herc
Brian Eno
Brian Epstein
Michael and Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Ahmet Ertegun
David Fincher
Henrik Franzon
Alan Freed
Dave Fridmann
Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff
George Gershwin
Nick Gold
Michel Gondry
Berry Gordy
Norman Granz
John Hammond
Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier and Eddie Holland
Nicky Hopkins
Jimmy Iovine
Quincy Jones
Spike Jonze
Hilly Kristal
Larry Levan
Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller
Alan Lomax
Greil Marcus
George Martin
Malcolm McLaren
Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section
Les Paul
Bruce Pavitt
John Peel
D.A. Pennebaker
Lee “Scratch” Perry
Sam Phillips
Cole Porter
Rick Rubin
Ryan Schreiber
Martin Scorsese
Harry Smith
Phil Spector
Timbaland
Rudy Van Gelder
Ivo Watts-Russell
Jann Wenner
Jerry Wexler
Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong
The Wrecking Crew
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Beat me to it :lol:

When this was last done, Deep Purple, Low, Ennio Morricone, Yes, and backstage winger Greil Marcus were inducted. The top two acts that almost got into the Hall last time were Gorillaz, and the Grateful Dead; in addition, off the top of my head, Grimes, Julia Holter, Kendrick Lamar, and Tom Petty might have the best chance of getting significant votes.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Live in Phoenix wrote:Beat me to it :lol:

When this was last done, Deep Purple, Low, Ennio Morricone, Yes, and backstage winger Greil Marcus were inducted. The top two acts that almost got into the Hall last time were Gorillaz, and the Grateful Dead; in addition, off the top of my head, Grimes, Julia Holter, Kendrick Lamar, and Tom Petty might have the best chance of getting significant votes.
Ah ah, sorry :P

We could make two rounds to account for 2016?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Pierre wrote:

I suggested that!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Ok, so as I understand it for two rounds, everyone votes and 4 musicians/1 backstage get inducted; then we just vote again from scratch for another round of 4 musicians/1 backstage.

We are a little bit into October now, but I could make the 16th the last day of round #1, and the 31st the last day of round #2?
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

StevieFan13 wrote:
Pierre wrote:

I suggested that!
I had kind of been hoping to do just 1 round, but it looks like I cannot weasel out of 2.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Main nominees:
1. Foo Fighters
2. Green Day
3. Billy Joel
4. Tom Petty
5. Kendrick Lamar
6. Soundgarden
7. 2pac
8. Sinead O'Connor
9. Courtney Barnett
10. George Michael

Backstage Wing:
1. Marley Marl
2. Hype Williams
3. Jessica Hopper
Last edited by StevieFan13 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Live in Phoenix wrote: We are a little bit into October now, but I could make the 16th the last day of round #1, and the 31st the last day of round #2?
Sounds fine by me. No matter what, my lists are basically ready.
Live in Phoenix wrote: I had kind of been hoping to do just 1 round, but it looks like I cannot weasel out of 2.
Sorry about that :?
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

There should be a 2016 round, taking into account only albums released up to 2015, and a 2017 round, only taking into account albums released up to 2016. That wouldn't make a huge difference for most artists for sure, as To Pimp a Butterfly is 2015 and most major albums from 2016 and 2017 are either from bands/artists other inducted or by some I don't think would stand much chance in the poll (even Grimes being a very very long shot) but still.

I still regard the original threads as the best we ever had, schleuse's recalculation of where each artists would stand taking into account only discographies up to a certain year, and the biographies he gave of the inducted artists where fantastic ! (plus the game was really fun in itself).
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Almost had The xx at number 2 but remembered they are only that high on my artist list due to I See You pushing them up. I'll wait for next year when they'll like be my number one choice (after Kendrick hopefully gets in).

Most of my choices are similar, musicians who broke through this current decade but have already released multiple albums I would consider instant classics. This is directly how they're listed in my personal top artist list (beside xx being skipped; Kendrick would be lower, but even without DAMN, still way about Arctic Monkeys).

1. Kendrick Lamar

This one should hopefully be a given. good kid, m.A.A.d. City and To Pimp a Butterfly are two of the greatest rap albums ever (and albums in general; To Pimp a Butterfly has been in my all time top 10 since release). In addition to being a fantastic artist, Kendrick Lamar has a great social presence; I can't think an artist that better defines America in the 2010s.

2. Arctic Monkeys

Surprised they aren't here already; they followed in the footsteps of the big garage rock revival bands like The White Stripes and The Strokes, but where many of those bands faltered shortly after breaking through, Arctic Monkeys proved their worth by releasing some of the most consistently strong works of the last decade. Though their first work was released in 2005, they've already wiggled their way into the top 100 on acclaimed music.

3. Grimes

Between Visions and Art Angels, Grimes has created some seriously impressive electronic pop music. But where some artists attempting to mix two genres might lose a bit of both, Grimes really digs into what makes both work.

4. Vampire Weekend

Vampire Weekend and Modern Vampires of the City are two of the best indie albums of the last decade, and Contra is impressive as well. Ezra Koenig's lyricism is masterful, and their style has constantly evolved without losing power.

5. Bon Iver

Though I personally feel he faltered with his most recent work, others seemed impressed. Even without it, For Emma, Forever Ago and Bon Iver, Bon Iver are beautiful, haunting works. In addition to his own work, he is present on several other great albums from the modern era, including appearances on two Kanye West albums and Anais Mitchell's Hadestown.

6. Frank Ocean

There's a certain level of honesty in Frank Ocean's work that puts him above many of his contemporaries. Ocean wears his emotions proudly, not afraid to tackle heavy subject matter. "Pyramids" has been sitting in my top 10 songs of all time for the past few years.

7. Beyonce

She was already a pop goddess a decade ago, but Lemonade and her self-titled from 2013 proved she is a master of the genre. She is a rare superstar who actually has the talent to back it up.

8. James Blake

I'm ready to be the sole person voting for him; James Blake's mix of electronic and R&B is simply stunning.

9. St. Vincent

St. Vincent is a shining example of how inventive rock can be in the 2010s.

10. Yeah Yeah Yeahs

They come from the same garage revival as Arctic Monkeys, but where the latter honed their style, Yeah Yeah Yeahs explored a variety. Their two best albums, Fever to Tell and It's Blitz, are impressively divergent. "Maps" and "Zero" are two of the best songs from the 2000s.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

And here's where I bring up the Moody Blues again, who kind of inspired the resurrection of the AM HOF thread. They were a good example of falling for a band/musician because it was in my parents' music collection. Lots of quality pop-rock over the years. Heyday was in the '60s to '80s.

Top track from each album:

The Magnificent Moodies - I Don't Mind
Days of Future Passed - Nights in White Satin
In Search of the Lost Chord - Ride My See-Saw
On the Threshold of a Dream - Never Comes the Day
To Our Children's Children's Children - Candle of Life

A Question of Balance - Question
Every Good Boy Deserves Favour - The Story in Your Eyes
Seventh Sojourn - When You're a Free Man
Octave - The Day We Meet Again
Long Distance Voyager - The Voice
The Present - Meet Me Halfway
The Other Side of Life - Your Wildest Dreams
Sur la Mer - Vintage Wine

Keys of the Kingdom - Is This Heaven?
Strange Times - Strange Times

December - In the Bleak Midwinter

Non-album track: Cities
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Nassim wrote:There should be a 2016 round, taking into account only albums released up to 2015, and a 2017 round, only taking into account albums released up to 2016. That wouldn't make a huge difference for most artists for sure, as To Pimp a Butterfly is 2015 and most major albums from 2016 and 2017 are either from bands/artists other inducted or by some I don't think would stand much chance in the poll (even Grimes being a very very long shot) but still.

I still regard the original threads as the best we ever had, schleuse's recalculation of where each artists would stand taking into account only discographies up to a certain year, and the biographies he gave of the inducted artists where fantastic ! (plus the game was really fun in itself).
Ok, I can try this (i.e., the 2016 and 2017 division, not being as good as schleuse).
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Do my original nominations still count? And man, a lot of BleuPanda's choices are favorites of mine too (especially Beyonce).
Pierre
Into the Groove

Re: Hall of Acclaim 2016 and 2017!!

Post by Pierre »

A bit for fun (and because it wouldn't hurt), and also because I'm still dismayed by the current result in the gender poll, I decided to use the first round to vote for women only. Let's pretend I didn't take Lemonade into account voting for Beyoncé - she already had her great self-titled album and "Crazy in Love" to back her up. I was a bit embarrassed to say, I had trouble finding important women for the backstage wing.

While looking for noms, I was quite surprised to see that some of them are not already inducted.

1. Grimes
2. Bessie Smith
3. Emmylou Harris
4. Donna Summer
5. Janet Jackson
6. Beyoncé
7. Tina Turner
8. Dolly Parton
9. Françoise Hardy
10. Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Backstage:

1. Ann Powers
2. The Raelettes
3. Lori Petty

I'll vote including the male acts for the second round.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

StevieFan13 wrote:Do my original nominations still count? And man, a lot of BleuPanda's choices are favorites of mine too (especially Beyonce).
The 1 rule, and it may not apply to you, is that Lamar and Barnett's 2017 studio albums don't "count" yet. And it looks like "Untitled Unmastered" wouldn't count until round 2, though I assume Lamar is already getting inducted just with "m.a.a.d. city" and "butterfly."
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Live in Phoenix wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:Do my original nominations still count? And man, a lot of BleuPanda's choices are favorites of mine too (especially Beyonce).
The 1 rule, and it may not apply to you, is that Lamar and Barnett's 2017 studio albums don't "count" yet. And it looks like "Untitled Unmastered" wouldn't count until round 2, though I assume Lamar is already getting inducted just with "m.a.a.d. city" and "butterfly."
Ah, OK. Doesn't make a difference, their two 2015 albums make them easy inductees for me.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

If I exclude stuff from 2016, here is my top 10 for the first round:
1. Kendrick Lamar
2. Arctic Monkeys
3. Grimes
4. Vampire Weekend
5. Bon Iver
6. James Blake
7. St. Vincent
8. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
9. The Streets
10. Swans

Beyonce and Frank Ocean fell out without the presence of Lemonade and Blonde. Bon Iver loses a few points but still remains largely the same. The Streets and Swans climb in.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Round 1 Nominees:

1. Foo Fighters
2. Soundgarden
3. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
4. The Arctic Monkeys
5. Faith No More
6. Mott The Hoople
7. Alice In Chains
8. Weezer
9. The Black Keys
10. Green Day

Backstage:

Brian Wilson - equally as gifted as George Martin and his hero Phil Spector
Last edited by Madzong on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:05 am, edited 7 times in total.
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Main nominees:

1. Thrice
2. Muse
3. Weezer
4. Green Day
5. Foo Fighters
6. Avenged Sevenfold
7. Vampire Weekend
8. Blink-182
9. Florence and the Machine
10. The Black Keys

No Green Day, StevieFan?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

andyd1010 wrote:Main nominees:

1. Thrice
2. Muse
3. Weezer
4. Green Day
5. Foo Fighters
6. Avenged Sevenfold
7. Vampire Weekend
8. Blink-182
10. The Black Keys

No Green Day, StevieFan?
AAAAAAUUUUGGGHHH REDO REDO
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

StevieFan13 wrote:
andyd1010 wrote:Main nominees:

1. Thrice
2. Muse
3. Weezer
4. Green Day
5. Foo Fighters
6. Avenged Sevenfold
7. Vampire Weekend
8. Blink-182
10. The Black Keys

No Green Day, StevieFan?
AAAAAAUUUUGGGHHH REDO REDO
Don't worry, I'm not tabulating today. That's what work is for :mrgreen:
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I just realized 2pac hasn't been inducted. Dammit, here we go again...
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Backstage Wing: I’m all about the BACKSTAGE Wing this time around and nominating only ONE person because there’s only one RODNEY BINGENHEIMER. His influence in music is unmatched and I can’t stress enough how his impactful work in the industry has cascaded him into an all out larger than life legend.

Bands

1. Guided by Voices
2. Supergrass
3. Super Furry Animals
4. Magnetic Fields
5. Manic Street Preachers
6. Spiritualized
7. Shonen Knife
8. Talulah Gosh
9. The Boo Radleys
10. Travis
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I'm not going to, but someone ought to nominate Cab Calloway.
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Like Pierre, my list will be short of Y chromosomes, since most of my favourite male artists are already in. But far too few women.

1. Joan Armatrading

Reggae infused folk from St. Kitt's via East London. Her output from 1975 through the early '80s is criminally ignored. I know my love for Joan is sort of like Henry's advocacy for Todd Rundgren; heartfelt but doomed to failure.

2. Emmylou Harris

She went through several distinct phases but she never really escaped the country ghetto. Think of all the guest vocals like Gram Parsons, Neil Young, Mark Knopfler, John Denver, where she's wrapped that dark honey voice around the lead and all you remember at the end is the harmony.

3. Tori Amos

Yeah, the 21st century has not treated her well. But her run of albums in the '90s were unmatched for songwriting, originality and her unmistakable piano work.

4. Linda Ronstadt

Possibly my favourite voice ever. Again, from her late '60s through early '80s peak she produced a string of country and pop albums that stand up against any of her contemporaries.

5. Laura Marling

Honestly, I don't think any 21st century artist should be enshrined as a classic yet (sorry, BleuPanda, StevieFan) but there is no doubt that Marling will be a commanding presence for decades to come.

6. Lucinda Williams
7. k.d. lang
8. Rickie Lee Jones
9. Regina Spektor
10. St. Vincent
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

luvulongTIM wrote:
Bands

1. Guided by Voices
2. Supergrass
3. Super Furry Animals
4. Magnetic Fields
5. Manic Street Preachers
6. Spiritualized
7. Shonen Knife
8. Talulah Gosh
9. The Boo Radleys
10. Travis
Some great picks here!
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Main Nominees:

1) Todd Rundgren
2) The Style Council
3) Utopia
4) Steve Winwood
5) Joe Satriani
6) Chicago
7) The Doobie Brothers
8) The Allman Brothers
9) Joe Jackson
10) James Taylor

Backstage:
Todd Rundgren
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

DocBrown wrote:Like Pierre, my list will be short of Y chromosomes, since most of my favourite male artists are already in. But far too few women.

1. Joan Armatrading

Reggae infused folk from St. Kitt's via East London. Her output from 1975 through the early '80s is criminally ignored. I know my love for Joan is sort of like Henry's advocacy for Todd Rundgren; heartfelt but doomed to failure.

2. Emmylou Harris

She went through several distinct phases but she never really escaped the country ghetto. Think of all the guest vocals like Gram Parsons, Neil Young, Mark Knopfler, John Denver, where she's wrapped that dark honey voice around the lead and all you remember at the end is the harmony.

6. Lucinda Williams
Great to see Joan mentioned, I really enjoyed a few of her albums.

I'm going to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass in SF on Sunday and one of the hardest decisions is whether I should see Lucinda Williams (who is playing at the Swan Stage from 5:50 - 7 pm) or Emmylou Harris (who is playing at the Banjo Stage from 5:45-7 pm). I'm leaning in Emmylou's direction right now. Has anyone seen either of these performers in concert recently?

The other bands I'm planning on seeing include: Cheap Trick, Randy Newman, Lampedusa, and Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile.

I'm not particularly familiar with the discography of these performers, so I would greatly appreciate recommendations of songs I should listen to before Sunday.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

DocBrown wrote:Like Pierre, my list will be short of Y chromosomes, since most of my favourite male artists are already in. But far too few women.
Pretty cool, although aside from Emmylou, we definitely don't have the same priorities :P I did hesitate about Rickie Lee Jones, though.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

1. Green Day (their Nineties output alone should get them in)
2. Kendrick Lamar
3. Joe Hisaishi
4. Paramore
5. Bee Gees
6. Linkin Park
7. Janelle Monae
8. Fleet Foxes
9. John Mayer
10. Wham!

Backstage:
Anthony Fantano (probably the most popular music critic of all time, and second only to Ebert & Roeper among critics of all mediums)
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

1. Van Halen
2. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
3. Jimmy Cliff
4. Green Day
5. Soundgarden
6. Alice in Chains
7. Françoise Hardy
8. Antônio Carlos Jobim
9. The B-52's
10. The Allman Brothers Band
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

1. The Moody Blues
2. Bee Gees
3. Gil Scott-Heron
4. Sarah McLachlan
5. Marillion
6. Lush
7. Bessie Smith
8. Garbage
9. Swans
10. Blue Oyster Cult

Favorite artist I didn't vote for because Justin Bieber will win the Nobel Peace Prize before they ever get into the HOF: Nightwish

Edit: Backstage: Casey Kasem: The late host of American Top 40 and the single person most responsible for my complete obsession with music. Unfortunately, his Hall chances are hurt greatly by his appeal being limited to American audiences who grew up in the '70's and '80's, but I'll vote for him every year as a tribute.
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

1. Van Halen
2. Lana Del Rey
3. Hole
4. Suede
5. Frank Ocean
6. Sade
7. Prefab Sprout
8. Violent Femmes
9. Garbage
10. Lemonheads
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Casey Kasem might make it in with my help. I work a Saturday 6am shift, and I am propped up with coffee and vintage Casey Kasem on the local ‘80s oldies station.

So by my count, there are 224 current inductees, and when you look at that long-ass list at the beginning of the thread, you maybe think just about everyone is in, except for new musicians and relatively critical un-favorites. Here are the twenty-five musicians from the AM main page top 200 artists who are NOT inducted. There a few of those new musicians (while some other musicians surprise me that they’ve placed so high).

95. Arctic Monkeys
108. Vampire Weekend
132. Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young)
137. Missy Elliott
139. Grateful Dead
142. Rod Stewart
145. Weezer
150. Spoon
151. Morrissey
154. Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Green Day
Bon Iver
The Streets
Manic Street Preachers
Frank Ocean
The Prodigy
Echo and the Bunnymen
Beyonce
Gorillaz
Air
Grizzly Bear
Justin Timberlake
The Verve
Caribou/Manitoba
The Libertines
EmilienDelRey
Unquestionable Presence

Post by EmilienDelRey »

01 | MF Doom
02 | Lee Hazlewood
03 | Jorge Ben
04 | Pharoah Sanders
05 | Rodriguez
06 | Gilberto Gil
07 | Basic Channel
08 | Gil Scott-Heron
09 | DJ Screw
10 | Kool Keith

01 | Moses Asch
02 | DJ Premier
03 | Francis Wolff & Alfred Lion
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

1. Oingo Boingo
2. Billy Idol
3. The Moody Blues
4. Justin Hayward
5. Sting
6. Suzanne Vega
7. Tori Amos (also recommend her '05, '07 albums)
8. John Williams
9. Alice in Chains
10. Soundgarden

Backstage:
1. Bob Geldof
2. Casey Kasem
3. Hype Williams
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Live in Phoenix wrote:Casey Kasem might make it in with my help. I work a Saturday 6am shift, and I am propped up with coffee and vintage Casey Kasem on the local ‘80s oldies station.
Cool! My time to listen to Casey's '80's countdowns is every Sunday from 9-1 while I work on my writing (with my coffee, as well). THEN, after taking an hour break, I listen to the '70's countdown from 2-5 while I watch football. (You can't put a price on nostalgia!) :music-listening:
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

1. Roy Harper
2. Arctic Monkeys
3. Manic Street Preachers
4. Muse
5. Interpol
6. The Decemberists
7. The Moody Blues
8. Morrissey
9. Bessie Smith
10. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I'll follow the established lead and only nominate female or female-lead acts:

1. Lucinda Williams
2. Sharon Van Etten
3. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
4. Suzanne Vega
5. Laura Marling
6. Julianna Barwick
7. Julie London
8. Best Coast
9. Angel Olsen
10. Kaki King
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

1. Built to Spill
2. Modest Mouse
3. Fugazi
4. Hot Chip
5. Slint
6. Gorillaz
7. Four Tet
8. El-P
9. Arctic Monkeys
10. Spoon

Backstage wing, still with revolutionary hip-hop producers.
1. The Neptunes/Pharell Williams
2. Kanye West
3. El-P
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I believe there's, what, 11 hours left to vote in round one?
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

I'll cut it off 24 hours from now (which is my morning), and then results will either be at lunchtime or in the evening.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

1. Dead Can Dance
2. Fat Freddy's Drop
3. Röyksopp
4. Iron Maiden
5. Astor Piazzolla
6. Jorge Ben
7. Sade
8. Gil Scott-Heron
9. Slowdive
10. Benjamin Biolay
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Georgie
Are You Experienced?

Post by Georgie »

Todd Rundgren
Stereolab
Bill Evans
Electric Light Orchestra
Marcos Valle

Casey Kasem
Dick Clark
DJ Premier
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

1. Janet Jackson
2. Kylie Minogue
3. Annie
4. Annie Lennox
5. Grace Jones
6. Janelle Monae
7. Bat for Lashes
8. Bootsy's Rubber Band
9. The Human League
10. Mylene Farmer
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Hall of Acclaim 2016 is closed. We have 4 music inductees (displayed in alphabetical order), and 1 backstage wing individual. A few statistics and notes to follow.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

And, despite our best efforts, they're all dudes. My next ballot will be all women to balance it out, but at least they're a strong five!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

StevieFan13 wrote:And, despite our best efforts, they're all dudes. My next ballot will be all women to balance it out, but at least they're a strong five!
That's what I was going to say. Therefore, contrary to what I initially planned, I'll stick to my all-girls ballot for the second round :?

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”