Foo Fighters -- 26
Kendrick Lamar -- 25

The Moody Blues -- 22
Soundgarden -- 21
Yeah Yeah Yeahs -- 21
Todd Rundgren -- 20
Van Halen -- 20
Grimes -- 18

Tom Petty was tied at #12. George Michael and Wham! each only got 1 point. The runner-ups from last time, Gorillaz and the Grateful Dead, got 5 and 0 points respectively.

With 2016 recordings now allowed, Beyonce, Bon Iver, and Frank Ocean may have improved chances.

Ten-highest acts (AM main page) not inducted:
108. Vampire Weekend
132. Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young)
137. Missy Elliott
139. Grateful Dead
142. Rod Stewart
145. Weezer
150. Spoon
151. Morrissey
154. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
168. Bon Iver

Backstagers:
Casey Kasem -- 8

ELEVEN backstagers tied at 3 points, with 9 of them being lone-wolf votes. You might remember a rule in the yearly polls about an album or song needing a minimum of 2 votes to advance … I think the same idea could apply here. This round, DJ Premier and Hype Williams each got a total of 3 points, with two voters; if they hypothetically got the same amount of points and votes in the next round, and otherwise there is a logjam, should I induct them even if they have the same point total as 9 other individuals?
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Re: Hall of Acclaim 2016 and 2017!!

Post by BleuPanda »

I'll join in the women-only ballot this time (getting my top two votes in this time helps...). I think we just need to be more strategic with something like this, especially with how points are totaled. It doesn't help if we're all voting for entirely different women. I checked the point totals as this was going, and it really doesn't take much for an artist to make the top 4.

I'd love to see Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Beyonce in the next batch (Yeah Yeah Yeahs were close this time, and Beyonce now can include Lemonade). Both have been around for over a decade, so it's not like it's too early. They're also big with both critics and in the popular sphere.

Some of us who want to see women make it should discuss some older artists who are notably missing. Even if my top choice doesn't make it, I'd feel more satisfied with this whole project if someone convinced me into voting for someone I wouldn't vote for if I simply stuck with my personal top 10.

I'd like to put Missy Elliot down as an undeservedly overlooked artist. In addition to not having many women, people of color also struggle here. As Live in Phoenix just pointed out, she's our third highest act on the AM list not included here. If we're looking to correct a wrong, this is an easy pick. I'd love to see not one but two black women make it in together between her and Beyonce.

While I'm usually against 'strategic voting,' I think that's kind of the point with a system like this. Let's work together to decide which artists we should include on our ballots!
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Some people's ballots are potentially not affected at all. Does anyone want to just type "same ballot" if they're not changing anything?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

BleuPanda wrote:I'll join in the women-only ballot this time (getting my top two votes in this time helps...). I think we just need to be more strategic with something like this, especially with how points are totaled. It doesn't help if we're all voting for entirely different women. I checked the point totals as this was going, and it really doesn't take much for an artist to make the top 4.

I'd love to see Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Beyonce in the next batch (Yeah Yeah Yeahs were close this time, and Beyonce now can include Lemonade). Both have been around for over a decade, so it's not like it's too early. They're also big with both critics and in the popular sphere.

Some of us who want to see women make it should discuss some older artists who are notably missing. Even if my top choice doesn't make it, I'd feel more satisfied with this whole project if someone convinced me into voting for someone I wouldn't vote for if I simply stuck with my personal top 10.

I'd like to put Missy Elliot down as an undeservedly overlooked artist. In addition to not having many women, people of color also struggle here. As Live in Phoenix just pointed out, she's our third highest act on the AM list not included here. If we're looking to correct a wrong, this is an easy pick. I'd love to see not one but two black women make it in together between her and Beyonce.

While I'm usually against 'strategic voting,' I think that's kind of the point with a system like this. Let's work together to decide which artists we should include on our ballots!
It's a bit of a whim (yeah, more probably like a BIG whim) but I'll keep Grimes at #1 no matter what. Although like you I'm hostile toward strategic voting, I'm open to it this time around for the rest of my list. Regarding older artists who are missing, I think Bessie Smith's a pretty demonstrative case though... Any suggestion for the rest? I may put Missy Elliott in my top this time (in fact, I nearly did last time, I also thought of Mary J. Blige).
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Pierre wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:I'll join in the women-only ballot this time (getting my top two votes in this time helps...). I think we just need to be more strategic with something like this, especially with how points are totaled. It doesn't help if we're all voting for entirely different women. I checked the point totals as this was going, and it really doesn't take much for an artist to make the top 4.

It's a bit of a whim (yeah, more probably like a BIG whim) but I'll keep Grimes at #1 no matter what. Although like you I'm hostile toward strategic voting, I'm open to it this time around for the rest of my list. Regarding older artists who are missing, I think Bessie Smith's a pretty demonstrative case though... Any suggestion for the rest? I may put Missy Elliott in my top this time (in fact, I nearly did last time, I also thought of Mary J. Blige).

Grimes was my number 3, and now that the top two made it in, I can safely put her at my #1 spot and still keep to the goal.

I think this would be a good selection to consider, especially since all of these already did well last round. They just need a nudge:
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Grimes
Emmylou Harris
Janet Jackson
Bessie Smith
Lucinda Williams
Tori Amos

+ Missy Elliot, who received no votes, which I think is a problem considering what she represents, and Beyonce, who I think a lot of us might have held back on so we could include Lemonade in our justification.

I'll probably vote for those nine plus one other (convince me which it should be), then order it based on my own preference.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

BleuPanda wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Grimes was my number 3, and now that the top two made it in, I can safely put her at my #1 spot and still keep to the goal.

I think this would be a good selection to consider, especially since all of these already did well last round. They just need a nudge:
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Grimes
Emmylou Harris
Janet Jackson
Bessie Smith
Lucinda Williams
Tori Amos

+ Missy Elliot, who received no votes, which I think is a problem considering what she represents, and Beyonce, who I think a lot of us might have held back on so we could include Lemonade in our justification.

I'll probably vote for those nine plus one other (convince me which it should be), then order it based on my own preference.
I'll drop Donna Summer and Françoise Hardy for a start; I'll push Beyoncé higher and include Missy Elliott. I won't help Lucinda Williams, it's probably a difference between US and Europe, but she's not that big around these parts, so I don't feel really involved in her inclusion. I'm pondering the case of Tori Amos. For the remaining spot, I'm hesitating between Mary J. Blige, Joan Jett (most likely to drop) and Sade. And maybe Suzanne Vega. It's a bit embarrassing to admit, especially since I'm the one who started the whole "let's push girls!" thing, but I have yet to listen to anything by St. Vincent, Julia Holter or Laura Marling, despite them being among the biggest female acts nowadays. My listening schedule just keeps being crowded all the time and they're among the (many) artists who systematically take the shaft.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Pierre wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:And, despite our best efforts, they're all dudes. My next ballot will be all women to balance it out, but at least they're a strong five!
That's what I was going to say. Therefore, contrary to what I initially planned, I'll stick to my all-girls ballot for the second round :?
Well, all girls except Tom Petty and Billy Joel for me. Still leaves 8 spots.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Pierre wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Grimes
Emmylou Harris
Janet Jackson
Bessie Smith
Lucinda Williams
Tori Amos

I'll drop Donna Summer and Françoise Hardy for a start; I'll push Beyoncé higher and include Missy Elliott. I won't help Lucinda Williams, it's probably a difference between US and Europe, but she's not that big around these parts, so I don't feel really involved in her inclusion. I'm pondering the case of Tori Amos. For the remaining spot, I'm hesitating between Mary J. Blige, Joan Jett (most likely to drop) and Sade. And maybe Suzanne Vega. It's a bit embarrassing to admit, especially since I'm the one who started the whole "let's push girls!" thing, but I have yet to listen to anything by St. Vincent, Julia Holter or Laura Marling, despite them being among the biggest female acts nowadays. My listening schedule just keeps being crowded all the time and they're among the (many) artists who systematically take the shaft.

St. Vincent was already on my list, but I think I'll drop her off until the next time we do this; her new album has given her enough strength that she will likely be my top artist in the 2018 edition, so I might as well wait until that.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

1. Sade
2. Stina Nordenstam
3. Erykah Badu
4. Ann Peebles
5. Robyn
6. Emmylou Harris
7. Tori Amos
8. Minnie Riperton
9. Janet Jackson
10. Kylie Minogue
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

1. Fiona Apple
2. Beyonce
3. Tom Petty
4. Missy Elliott
5. Kylie Minogue
6. St. Vincent
7. Grimes
8. Ofra Haza
9. Sister Rosetta Tharpe
10. Tori Amos
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I've added Erykah Badu to complete my ten.

1. Grimes
2. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
3. Beyonce
4. Missy Elliot
5. Erykah Badu
6. Janet Jackson
7. Bessie Smith
8. Tori Amos
9. Emmylou Harris
10. Lucinda Williams
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

For the backstage wing, I think I'll go with these?
1. Pharrell Williams
2. Nile Rodgers
3. Nigel Godrich

I think those fit the idea?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Oh yeah, backstage wing. Mine will be pretty similar to last time:
1. Hype Williams
2. Nile Rodgers
3. Jessica Hopper
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

1. Bessie Smith
2. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
3. Etta James
4. Fiona Apple
5. The Moody Blues
6. Morrissey
7. Lucinda Williams
8. Sade
9. Muse
10. Interpol
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

OK, I drop Tina Turner as well, that'll be...

1. Grimes
2. Bessie Smith
3. Missy Elliott
4. Beyoncé
5. Emmylou Harris
6. Janet Jackson
7. Sade
8. Dolly Parton
9. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
10. Tori Amos

Same backstage as last time:

1. Ann Powers
2. The Raelettes
3. Lori Petty

StevieFan13 wrote:Well, all girls except Tom Petty and Billy Joel for me. Still leaves 8 spots.
I forgot about Tom Petty. It doesn't surprise me much that AMers don't care about him much. Sadly.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

BleuPanda wrote:For the backstage wing, I think I'll go with these?
1. Pharrell Williams
2. Nile Rodgers
3. Nigel Godrich

I think those fit the idea?
Producers all fit. It's a broad category that covers practically anyone not on stage who helps you appreciate the world of music. I'm planning to nominate the author of two Elvis biographies from the '90s.
EmilienDelRey
Unquestionable Presence

Post by EmilienDelRey »

1 | Nico
2 | Julia Holter
3 | The Shangri-Las
4 | Alice Coltrane
5 | Minnie Riperton
6 | The Ronettes
7 | Etta James
8 | Grimes
9 | The Sundays
10 | Vashti Bunyan

1 | DJ Premier
2 | Sylvia Robinson
3 | Charles Stepney
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Okay, I completed my 2017 ballot in three stages:

1. The Moody Blues (so close last time!)
2. The female/female-led artists I had on my last ballot.
3. My favorite female artists from other voters' lists (to give them a boost).

1. The Moody Blues
2. Lush
3. Nightwish
4. Sarah McLachlan
5. Bessie Smith
6. Garbage
7. Janet Jackson
8. Ofra Haza
9. Tori Amos
10. Grimes

Backstage: Rodney Bingenheimer
Last edited by jamieW on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Lush will change to my #1 if they actually stand a chance of getting in.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

luvulongTIM wrote:Lush will change to my #1 if they actually stand a chance of getting in.
If I'd thought anyone else would vote for them, I would've put them at #2. (Actually, I was a little surprised I didn't see them on your first ballot, since I knew you were the other big Lush fan on the forum. Some of my favorite artists, I'm well aware of why they aren't acclaimed, but I'll never understand why Lush hasn't received more praise from critics. To me personally, they're legends.)
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Re: Hall of Acclaim 2016 and 2017!

Post by luvulongTIM »

Ok revised and I can’t stress enough not just his significance but just the fact that he’s so damn cool and even more ageless than Dick Clark, RODNEY BINGENHEIMER. Did Dick Clark introduce the world to David Bowie? Mr. Mayor deserves far more that just some star of the Walk of Fame. If there’s at least ONE rock band you’re planning to induct chances are the we’re likely linked to or broken in by Rodney Bingenheimer

1. Lush

2. Guided by Voices
3. Supergrass
4. Super Furry Animals
5. Magnetic Fields
6. Manic Street Preachers
7. Spiritualized
8. Shonen Knife
9. Talulah Gosh
10. The Boo Radleys
11. Travis
12. Ride
13. Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci
14. Tori Amos
15. Trash Can Sinatras
16. The Wonder Stuff
17. The Horrors
18. The Frames
19. The Raveonettes
20. Saint Etienne
21. Doves
22. Billy Bragg
23. Curve
24. The Catherine Wheel
25. The Verve
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

jamieW wrote: 8. Ofra Haza
Alright!
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Okay, I've moved Lush up to #2 on my list. Also, I went to Wikipedia and read more about Rodney Bingenheimer, and I can see why luvulongTIM has been singing his praises over the past few months. (I'm a little embarrassed I didn't know any more than the name.) He certainly deserves serious recognition. I've attached just the beginning of the extended Wikipedia article about him below:

Rodney Bingenheimer (born December 15, 1947) is a prominent personality in the music business. He was an American radio disc jockey on the long-running[2] Los Angeles rock station KROQ.[3] He has now joined SiriusXM's Little Steven's Underground Garage starting July 16, 2017 from 9 pm - 12am ET, playing some of his favorite bands as well as new ones he likes.[4] He is notable for helping numerous iconic bands[2] become successful in the American market. His contribution to the music business has been described as important.[1] He developed a reputation for being the first American D.J. to identify new artists[5] and play "edgy new bands" such as Blondie,[6] the Ramones, the Sex Pistols, Van Halen,[7] Guns N' Roses, Duran Duran, The Cure, Joan Jett, Hole, Symbol Six, No Doubt, Blur, Nirvana,[6] Sonic Youth, The Bangles, X, Germs and many others.[8]

He managed a key but now-defunct L.A. nightclub called Rodney Bingenheimer's English Disco in the early seventies.[9]

He was the subject of a documentary by late filmmaker George Hickenlooper titled Mayor of the Sunset Strip which told the story of a groupie-turned-kingmaker with a knack for making friends in the music industry.[10] He was described as a "famous groupie, now respectable" by Mick Jagger[3] and he has numerous high-profile friends.[5] In 2007, he was honored with the 2,330th star on Hollywood Boulevard.[8]

I've added him to my ballot.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

StevieFan13 wrote:
jamieW wrote: 8. Ofra Haza
Alright!
Seeing her on your list brought back memories of us playing her 1988 CD, "Shaday," to death at the music store where I worked. She was on my extended list of artists I'd planned on voting for someday, but after seeing somebody else supporting her, "someday" became now...
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Re: Hall of Acclaim 2017!!

Post by notbrianeno »

Hall of Acclaim:
1. St. Vincent
2. Bon Iver
3. Autechre
4. Lady Gaga
5. Beyoncé
6. Swans
7. Drake
8. Destroyer
9. Grizzly Bear
10. Burial

Backstage Wing:
James Murphy
Flood
Adrien Belew
Last edited by notbrianeno on Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

notbrianeno wrote:Hall of Acclaim:
1. Kendrick Lamar
2. St. Vincent
3. Autechre
4. Lady Gaga
5. Adrian Belew
6. Swans
7. Drake
8. Destroyer
9. Grizzly Bear
10. Burial

Backstage Wing:
James Murphy
Flood
DJ Khaled

Note that Kendrick Lamar already placed in the first round.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I feel a bit weird about only doing women, but I guess I'll do it just because I love lists so much. But I'm doing it on my terms, I'm going off of my personal opinion. Also, eventually decided to go with artist >=10 years old.
Main: (debut year)
1. Paramore (2005)
2. Janelle Monae (2003)
3. Norah Jones (2002)
4. Kacey Musgraves (2003)
5. Beyonce (1997)
6. Kelly Clarkson (2002)
7. Beach House (2006)
8. Go-Go's (1981)
9. Whitney Houston (1985)
10. Amy Winehouse (2003)

Backstage:
Pharrell Williams

I also feel a bit guilty about picking artists less than 20-25 years into the business (like Kendrick), but these artists are the ones I feel closest to. I'm not going to change my picks for this, but I wonder if anyone else feels this way? Or maybe I'm being too traditional, following the rules of old-hat Halls of Fame?
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

I'm all for equal opportunity regardless of gender but this is not Women in Music Hall of Acclaim (is this trying to make up for the lack of women members in the forum?).

1. Van Halen
2. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
3. Jimmy Cliff
4. Soundgarden
5. Alice in Chains
6. Françoise Hardy
7. Antônio Carlos Jobim
8. The B-52's
9. The Allman Brothers Band
10. Sarah Vaughan
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Dexter wrote:I'm all for equal opportunity regardless of gender but this is not Women in Music Hall of Acclaim (is this trying to make up for the lack of women members in the forum?).
No. It's trying to make up for the overwhelming presence of male acts in the hall right now, compared to the female presence.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Pierre wrote:
Dexter wrote:I'm all for equal opportunity regardless of gender but this is not Women in Music Hall of Acclaim (is this trying to make up for the lack of women members in the forum?).
No. It's trying to make up for the overwhelming presence of male acts in the hall right now, compared to the female presence.
I see. I'd like to give majority of my votes to women artists but Van Halen and Tom Petty should have been included a long time ago.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Dexter wrote:
Pierre wrote:
I see. I'd like to give majority of my votes to women artists but Van Halen and Tom Petty should have been included a long time ago.
Actually, I agree about Tom Petty and Van Halen ;) Maybe I'll vote for them next year.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Same ballot.

1. Janet Jackson: one of the most preeminent pop artists of all time with several mega smashes. Rhythm Nation 1814 is my 3rd favorite album of all time and inspired so many young people, particularly black people struggling in the dire economics of the late 80s.

2. Kylie Minogue: Nobody, but NOBODY, does electropop like Kylie. Her beginning may have been a bit frothy (aside from Rhythm of Love), but since 1994, she has churned out album after album of greatness.

3. Annie: Probably my favorite artist ever if judging solely by the average quality of each song. Her songs pack such a wallop. Nobody manages the balance between happy and sad like Annie.

4. Annie Lennox: Her solo career is no slouch. Diva was absolutely iconic and inspired tons of women musicians, and Bare is likewise unbelievable.

5. Grace Jones: The most badass woman artist of all, IMO. Anyone who can hula hoop for 10+ minutes while performing "Slave to the Rhythm" over the age of 60 has done things right.

6. Janelle Monáe: The most electrifying artist of the past 10 years. I have no idea why she isn't the biggest star in the world.

7. Bat for Lashes: She of the beautifully crafted artistic portraits that vary with each album. The Bride is her best yet.

8. Bootsy's Rubber Band: Maybe as worthwhile as Parliament or Funkadelic, and that is saying something. Some of the most fun music ever recorded.

9. The Human League: From their early, experimental dabbling with electronic textures through to their synth pop megastardom, they've earned a place, IMO.

10. Mylène Farmer: My latest obsession. If she sang in English, I think she would have competed with Madonna for pop supremacy, though her music is more artful, IMO.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

As far as only voting for similar acts, I just thinks this works better when there's some unifying theme between us (if I didn't go with women, I probably would have thrown my top vote toward Todd Rundgren or other acts I respect that I know would make specific people very happy - see you next year?).

Really, the main thing I'd like to see with something like this is a different method of tallying altogether. Something like we each get two nominations in a first round, then everyone votes for their top ten from those choices in a second round. Last round, an artist only really needed three good votes to get in, which is not a good number to show they are supported by the forum as a whole. With a method like this, everyone still gets a say for their favorite artists getting represented, but we also wouldn't see ballots that have no impact on the entrants at all.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

BleuPanda wrote:As far as only voting for similar acts, I just thinks this works better when there's some unifying theme between us (if I didn't go with women, I probably would have thrown my top vote toward Todd Rundgren or other acts I respect that I know would make specific people very happy - see you next year?).

Really, the main thing I'd like to see with something like this is a different method of tallying altogether. Something like we each get two nominations in a first round, then everyone votes for their top ten from those choices in a second round. Last round, an artist only really needed three good votes to get in, which is not a good number to show they are supported by the forum as a whole. With a method like this, everyone still gets a say for their favorite artists getting represented, but we also wouldn't see ballots that have no impact on the entrants at all.
The 2018 round -- which could start taking votes about 3 months from now -- is totally up for grabs if you would like to run it, and have some different rules.
Neil
Different Class

Post by Neil »

1. Van Halen
2. Sade
3. Robyn
4. Lana Del Rey
5. Hole
6. Suede
7. Janet Jackson
8. Tom Petty
9. Kylie Minoue
10. Soundgarden
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Frankly, I don't see any great crisis. (Even the Cocteau Twins have been inducted!) Or, if there is a grievance, there's more than one.

Anyway, I already threw a bunch of names against the wall that didn't stick in Round 1, so I am doing a mishmash of Dexter's approach plus almost all of the non-inductee female musicians who were in my Top 100 albums submission.

1. The Moody Blues
2. Suzanne Vega
3. Tori Amos
4. Soundgarden
5. Enya
6. Van Halen
7. The Sundays
8. Young Marble Giants
9. Cyndi Lauper
10. Hole

Backstage:
1. Bob Geldof
2. Peter Guralnick (Elvis biographer)
3. Hype Williams
Last edited by Live in Phoenix on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Alright, I'll do a bit of a combo as well. I would have voted for The Black Keys and Audioslave as my 8 and 9, but I'll vote for two other deserving entrants instead: Beach House and Beyonce.

1. Thrice
2. Muse
3. Weezer
4. Avenged Sevenfold
5. Vampire Weekend
6. Blink-182
7. Florence and the Machine
8. Lana Del Rey
9. Beach House
10. Beyonce
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

And I will nominate Rick Hall to the backstage wing. I'd recommend the documentary Muscle Shoals for his story. It's amazing how much great music came out of there, and he had a lot to do with it. His backstory is pretty incredible too.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

BleuPanda wrote:
1. Kendrick Lamar
2. St. Vincent
3. Autechre
4. Lady Gaga
5. Adrian Belew
6. Swans
7. Drake
8. Destroyer
9. Grizzly Bear
10. Burial

Backstage Wing:
James Murphy
Flood
DJ Khaled

Note that Kendrick Lamar already placed in the first round.
Corrected my vote!
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

1. St. Vincent
2. Autechre
3. Lady Gaga
4. Adrian Belew
5. Beyoncé
6. Swans
7. Drake
8. Destroyer
9. Grizzly Bear
`0. Burial

Backstage Wing:
James Murphy
Flood
DJ Khaled
Kind of surprised you didn't vote for Bon Iver
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Live in Phoenix wrote:
1. St. Vincent
2. Autechre
3. Lady Gaga
4. Adrian Belew
5. Beyoncé
6. Swans
7. Drake
8. Destroyer
9. Grizzly Bear
`0. Burial

Backstage Wing:
James Murphy
Flood
DJ Khaled

oh god I completely forgot!!!!
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

Let my list stand, LiveinPhoenix. Perhaps one of Emmylou, Tori or Lucinda may advance with the female-friendly movement.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

notbrianeno wrote:
Live in Phoenix wrote:
1. St. Vincent
2. Autechre
3. Lady Gaga
4. Adrian Belew
5. Beyoncé
6. Swans
7. Drake
8. Destroyer
9. Grizzly Bear
`0. Burial

Backstage Wing:
James Murphy
Flood
DJ Khaled

oh god I completely forgot!!!!
It's ok, you can still change it
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Edited my ballot for the final time!
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

A handful of days left. I was a little surprised when I switched from eyeballing the ballots to tabulating.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I already wanted to post this the first round, but I sat rather long it, thinking perhaps a bit too much about were I wanted to go with it, but there you go.

Interesting discussions and arguments here, but personally I have a hard time with all these extremely new artists being lauded as should-be-locks. I can see the reasons why Rock & Roll Hall of Fame waits for 25 years, even if that is perhaps too long for our purposes. A hall of fame to me is something of a hard-earned honour, something that you deserve once we have at least a good overview of a career. 10 years sound like at least a necessity. So, while I think Kendrick Lamarr is doing a very good job and I like Grimes as much as anyone here, I hardly think that they should already be included in favour of a lot of influential or iconic artists who haven’t yet made it.
Wait, there are influential and iconic artists who haven’t gotten in yet? Yes, you just have to look outside this forums usual window of rock, indie, R&B, pop and to a lesser extent folk and you notice a lot of missing names that blazed a lot of trail. Besides, do we really wanted this to become an alternate version of the our three-yearly artist poll? I think this could serve as a basis for more objective reflection.

1. Koji Kondo.
Yes, a video game composer. A type of music that never gets attention outside of its specific community, but an important type of music nonetheless. Koji Kondo is probably the most famous pioneer of the genre and made some of the most famous tunes of its type, especially for (but not limited to) the Super Mario and Legend of Zelda series. Even more remarkable is how little he had to work with at the start. Old games could get some 8-bit bleeps, but little else. That was the main reason Kondo had to look in another direction than the classical-music inspired movie scores, but had to invent something new. It also had to be music that could be repeated without end in a game without getting annoying. Sure, this isn’t album music, let alone radio material, but you might be surprised how great it is to listen to on its own.

2. Bernard Herrmann.
At least one film composer is in: Ennio Morricone. Good call, but there are more great artists in this field. Herrmann stands out in particular, because like Morricone he is very unique. Like many colleagues of his time he was initially inspired by classical music, but he soon found a broader pallet of influences than pretty much any film composer before or since. This is most clear in his work for Alfred Hitchcock, where his music frequently isn’t traditionally classic, but seems more a direct distillation of the psychological terror of the stories, especially on Vertigo (his masterpiece) and Psycho. Such an approach to film music proved to be something of a transitional point for the medium into a more organic, post-modern approach. Also notice how Herrmann experimented with electronica to score the future in The Day the Earth Stood Still (in 1951!). He kept discovering new angles until his last film, Taxi Driver, when he suddenly turned to jazz. If all this isn’t your cup of tea: he also made some great traditional film music.

3. Jimmie Rodgers.
Perhaps best remembered for his Blue Yodels – which are lot more emotional than you might guess based on their names. He is more important than you might guess, even if he seems to be only known now by people who still dig into pre-war music. He was perhaps the most popular country artist – besides The Carter Family – of his era and he laid the groundwork for more tragic country music that became the standard once Hank Williams updated it in the late 40’s. Based on his influence on country alone he should be a lock for induction, but his influence went in another unlikely direction too: towards the blues. Perhaps his talent for singing and writing sad songs made him very popular with the blues crowds, so much so that he is almost as much remembered as a blues singer as a country boy. It should be said that at the time a link between both worlds was denied, making Rodgers all the more special. To give a hint of his appreciation in the music industry: he was introduced in the first year of the Country Hall of Fame, the first year of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (as an early influence) and also made the Blues Hall of Fame. Probably not well-known enough on Acclaimed Music to ever make it on his own, I hope people will give him a listen now.

4. Sister Rosetta Tharpe.
Okay, I admit that I didn’t have a clue who she was when she was nominated for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this year, but some research shows she isn’t some random choice at all. Some say she should be in as an early influence. This might make sense, but when you start listening to her you will notice she already has the rock spirit, no matter that she plays mostly religious songs. Her use of the electric guitar is really forward thinking and if you ask me it stills rocks. I’m also amused that of all people this religious lady seems to have somehow spearheaded the developments in rock music. I’m looking forward to listening to her more.

5. Bessie Smith.
An icon from a period and style that perhaps has lost its iconicity (with exception of Robert Johnson, possibly thanks to his mythical backstory). Although not the first great blues singer, she is probably the most important one of the early period of recording. Her vocals and emotions where probably unmatched by anyone else of the era and she is a precursor not only to many blues singers, but also to several female soul singers, like Etta James and Aretha Franklin.

6. Van Halen.
I was always going to include a metal group here, as pure metal is easily ignored by everyone who isn’t a metalhead. My own idea was Iron Maiden, but the defences for Van Halen here have made me see that, yes, Van Halen are the ones we should go with. After the metal genre had been launched well by Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and most clearly of all Black Sabbath it was Van Halen who changed the course of the genre for almost a decade. Less bluesy and dark and more glamourous, that was how a lot of metal would be for years. Such stylings have gone out of favour mostly, also among metalfans, but when you hear the first four records of Van Halen you notice again what made such music special in the first place. This is also a very good rock band with an ace guitar player, so much should be clear.

7. Jimmy Cliff.
Some lazy music journalists are still comfortable claiming that Bob Marley invented reggae, a claim so enormously silly and misguided that it makes you want to give up on music criticism altogether. Now I don’t want to take anything away from Marley, a great musician and performer, but he didn’t invent reggae. Who did is hardly clear, but one thing we can say for sure is that Jimmy Cliff was already a star in Jamaica as a reggae performer before the Wailers started and he had hits outside his country before Marley (then again, even Paul Simon had a reggae hit before Marley). Cliff was really the guy who paved the way for the reggae invasion in the seventies (I also tip my hat here to Desmond Dekker). He has a wide-ranging career, filled with political songs, soulful and personal ballads as well as feel-good tunes. His work runs deep and is worth seeking out even beyond the great The Harder They Fall soundtrack.

8. Dolly Parton.
Perhaps somebody who is disliked as much as she is loved. This is perhaps due to something of a split that happened in her career. At first she sung rather low-key, delicate songs with a winning honesty and a beautiful voice. As her star rose her style became more grandiose, helped by the fact that emotional excess was very popular in the eighties. Perhaps, but her work on albums like Coat of Many Colours and the spectacularly underrated Jolene is nothing less than beautiful. On these records she finds a light touch that suits country music, but finds a range in them that is sometimes overlooked. Above all, though, I feel she deserves entry in the Hall of Fame because hardly anyone in country music is such an icon. She really carved a space for herself in that genre that for better or worse is unique and unmissable.

9. Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark.
After Kraftwerk set the music world on fire with electronic music in the seventies, it was time for new musicians to take this style in different directions in the eighties. It sometimes seems like music historians want to give all the credit to New Order, while ignoring the rest. But there was Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark. They were never big in the US perhaps; their only hit there was a song released after their peak period: the only mildly amusing If You Leave. In Europe they were very popular during the eighties, but they weren’t a simple commercial act. If New Order was the real dance-oriented group with down-to-earth themes, OMD were weird romantics. Far more than Krafwerk or New Order they were able to make electronic music sound warm (something the “computer world” of Kraftwerk shunned) and that might be their biggest achievement. They had odd subjects – the airplane that dropped the atom bomb on Hiroshima, Joan of Arc (twice), girls that hang around Niklas Tesla’s laboratory – and explored electronic music both as dance material as well as something more atmospheric. This all culminated in two great albums: the popular Architecture & Morality (whose title gives you a feel for their unusual content) and the cult-favourite Dazzle Ships. Why they are now neglected despite early popularity is inexplicable, but looking deeper into their discography shows they were onto something.

10. Carl Perkins.
Not just the guy behind Blue Suede Shoes (although that is a significant song in its own right), but someone who really played an important in the development of rock & roll. I admit, his glory period was very short, even compared to many of his contemporaries like Buddy Holly (who died young after all) or the self-destructive Jerry Lee Lewis. A car accident derailed his career early on and although he recovered physically, his career never did. But he is important, because his wedding between country and rock music is what started rockabilly. It was his way of playing that influenced Buddy Holly and even partly Elvis. He build a bridge between a very conservative genre and the new musical revolution. The Dance Album of Carl Perkins is truly a forgotten classic begging for rediscovery as it is really, really good.

Backstage: W.C. Handy.
I don’t know who knows him here, but he might be the most important backstage guy in popular music history. But we have to go far back for it. At the start of the 20th century Handy was a band conductor when he heard a fellow black man sing a strange tune at a railway station. Handy was captivated by this music and felt the need to find more of it. He found that it originated from the years of slavery. It was a type of music that nobody seemed to record and that was only rarely put to paper. Handy did his research and started to write the black music down and changed it up somewhat. He composed songs in the style and those became hugely popular. This way the blues suddenly became part of the musical landscape at large. His songs proved so popular that they also helped develop country music and particularly jazz. Compositions like St. Louis Blues, Memphis Blues and Beale Street Blues are in some way were it all started. He may not have invented blues, but without him putting it out there we might not have all these genres, probably not even rock. He didn’t record himself though, so even though he performed with a band I think he is more significant as a backstage figure.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Rob wrote:I already wanted to post this the first round, but I sat rather long it, thinking perhaps a bit too much about were I wanted to go with it, but there you go.

Interesting discussions and arguments here, but personally I have a hard time with all these extremely new artists being lauded as should-be-locks. I can see the reasons why Rock & Roll Hall of Fame waits for 25 years, even if that is perhaps too long for our purposes. A hall of fame to me is something of a hard-earned honour, something that you deserve once we have at least a good overview of a career. 10 years sound like at least a necessity. So, while I think Kendrick Lamarr is doing a very good job and I like Grimes as much as anyone here, I hardly think that they should already be included in favour of a lot of influential or iconic artists who haven’t yet made it.
Of course, if we were working at the R&R HoF, I would accept the 25 years rule (even though I believe it's a bit too long), as it's probably necessary to evaluate which acts stand the test of time - in 1988, Bon Jovi, Poison, W.A.S.P. or Whitesnake were ruling the rock world alongside Bruce Springsteen, Guns N' Roses, Bryan Adams and John Mellencamp, but who gave a shit about Pixies, Sonic Youth, the Smiths or Dinosaur Jr.? Time did rewrite history in a big way for this era.

Anyway, what I mean is, I get your point, but this is just the Acclaimed Music forum having fun here, so I wouldn't be so meticulous ;)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

1. Built to Spill
2. Modest Mouse
3. Fugazi
4. Hot Chip
5. Slint
6. Gorillaz
7. Four Tet
8. El-P
9. Run the Jewels
10. Spoon

Backstage wing, still with revolutionary hip-hop producers.
1. The Neptunes/Pharell Williams
2. Kanye West
3. El-P
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Hall of Acclaim 2017 is closed(!!). The backstage inductee will appear in the statistics rundown.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”