Rock Hall of Fame Nominees for Class of 2018

Hymie
Running Up That Hill

Re: Rock Hall of Fame Nominees for Class of 2018

Post by Hymie »

Current fan voting standings. Radiohead at # 10.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Ranking by number of listeners per month on Spotify, for what it's worth.

Bon Jovi 8 000 000 (205th in the world)
Radiohead 6 500 000 (288)
Dire Straits 5 200 000 (375)
Eurythmics 4 800 000 (400)
Rage Against the Machine 4 600 000 (428)
Depeche Mode 3 700 000
Nina Simone 2 900 000
The Cars 2 000 000
Judas Priest 1 600 000
LL Cool J 1 400 000
The Zombies 1 100 000
The Moody Blues 1 000 000
J. Geils Band 1 000 000
Kate Bush 800 000
The Meters 500 000
Rufus 300 000
Link Wray 200 000
MC5 100 000
Sister Rosetta Tharpe 40 000

Gotta say, I really didn't expect Bon Jovi to top this one as well. And Kate Bush near the bottom!? What kind of world are we living in? At least I'm glad to see Nina Simone relatively high.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Am I the only one who isn't surprised at all by Bon Jovi's popularity? They're still a staple of classic rock publications, TV channels and radio stations, they have a crossover audience with metal despite a very commercial sound, Slippery When Wet appears in a lot of greatest albums lists (their other albums much less so, although the rest of the 80s output is also featured occasionally; they're usually perceived as a singles band first and foremost, which is probably good for them in an era which favours individual songs over albums like today), and if I'm not incorrect arena rock is still popular in Asia. All of this combined surely still builds a decent audience.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Hymie wrote:Interesting analysis of this year's ballot.

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best ... -2018.html
Meh... whoever wrote that has a surprisingly high esteem of Arrested Development though.

And yeah, don't see how it is even remotely surprising that Bon Jovi is toping the fan votings list, this is Rock and Roll Hall of fame, not a Pitchfork readers poll.
Surprised the Moody Blues are 2nd though, progressive rock fans are great at mobilizing. Also surprised RATM isn't near the top.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Apparently you're right. It's just that I never hear Bon Jovi. They are almost never discussed in this forum. It probably also has to do with that they are basically the only band I don't enjoy from this group.

This is how I would probably have guessed the Spotify order:

Radiohead
Depeche Mode
Dire Straits
Eurythmics
Kate Bush
Bon Jovi
Rage Against the Machine
Judas Priest
LL Cool J
Nina Simone
The Cars
The Moody Blues
The Zombies
Rufus
The Meters
J. Geils Band
MC5
Link Wray
Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Yes, I'm not American.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Henrik wrote:Apparently you're right. It's just that I never hear Bon Jovi. They are almost never discussed in this forum. It probably also has to do with that they are basically the only band I don't enjoy from this group.

This is how I would probably have guessed the Spotify order:

Radiohead
Depeche Mode
Dire Straits
Eurythmics
Kate Bush
Bon Jovi
Rage Against the Machine
Judas Priest
LL Cool J
Nina Simone
The Cars
The Moody Blues
The Zombies
Rufus
The Meters
J. Geils Band
MC5
Link Wray
Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Yes, I'm not American.
I believe it's more like the discussions on the forum are influenced by the fact that the AM community crosses over more with Pitchfork's readership than it does Classic Rock or Metal Hammer, for instance. If the AM community featured members from the latter readerships, the discussions here would probably look very different.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I'm not surprised about Bon Jovi, but I am about The Cars. I never even heard of them before I came to this forum and up till now thought they were a cult band at best. Apparently, they have a lot of mainstream cred too.
And the only time in a year I hear mention of the existence of J Geils Band is when the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame comes up. Are they really that popular?

Then again, I didn't know about Sister Rosetta Tharpe either. I listened to her this week and that's great music.

I'm with the crowds on Dire Straits: great band that gets marginalized by critics for silly reasons.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

This is slightly before my time, but the Cars had numerous albums and singles in the top 10, and the J. Geils Band were a Number One across-the-board hit for a moment there (and then broke up). Someone here could probably give a nice defense of them.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

I think the disconnection between the Rock Hall of Fame/Classic Rock demographics and the Pitchfork one never came into sharper relief.

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/bon ... ll-of-fame

Radiohead's fate will be interesting to see.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Pierre wrote:I think the disconnection between the Rock Hall of Fame/Classic Rock demographics and the Pitchfork one never came into sharper relief.

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/bon ... ll-of-fame

Radiohead's fate will be interesting to see.
Not helping their case was the fact that they're not even attending if they're inducted. They're the most deserving, sure, but they're the least likely to be honored by it, so that could complicate matters.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I reeeeaaallllyyyy hope it isn't just the fan vote winners - last thing we need is another all-dude class, like 2016 (especially when people like Kate Bush and Nina Simone are also in the running). Would be great if Judas Priest got in and gave more metal representation.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

StevieFan13 wrote:I reeeeaaallllyyyy hope it isn't just the fan vote winners - last thing we need is another all-dude class, like 2016 (especially when people like Kate Bush and Nina Simone are also in the running).
I believe that might unfortunately be an even safer bet than Radiohead's induction.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Pierre wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:I reeeeaaallllyyyy hope it isn't just the fan vote winners - last thing we need is another all-dude class, like 2016 (especially when people like Kate Bush and Nina Simone are also in the running).
I believe that might unfortunately be an even safer bet than Radiohead's induction.
My belief that it is an actual honor to be inducted is tampered only by the fact that far too many talented women have been left in the dust.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

OMG, J. Geils Band obtained almost the double of votes than Radiohead? The Cars triple and Bon Jovi almost seven times more votes? That surely means that the voters that participated there voted consciously AGAINST Radiohead. It was a kind of punishment vote, something that find extremely unfair with a band like Radiohead, even from a generational point of view. Radiohead is maybe seen by these voters as an elitist band but, even if they abandoned the Indie Rock of their early days for a more sophisticated Electronic sound, at the core they are an HONEST band strongly compromised with themselves and the sum (to me eyes at least) of Indie Rock ethics and aestethics. On the other hand it's refreshing to see them punished by the Classic Rock hordes, I though they were undoubtedly the consensus Rock band of the last 25 years.
By the way, could someone explain to me the demographics of these voters? Was it an open poll? Was only for subscribers or something like that? I mean, I could have voted? I ask that because if it was an open poll the situation is more serious than I thought...
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Honorio wrote:That surely means that the voters that participated there voted consciously AGAINST Radiohead.
I don't believe in that. The punishment might have been a thing but not on the scale of hundreds of thousands of votes. I do think it's more like many rock fans who are not so much into indie rock only care about Radiohead for "Creep", The Bends and sometimes OK Computer, where they start to fit less in the Britpop aesthetics and their music becomes generally less catchy and guitar-centric.
Honorio wrote:By the way, could someone explain to me the demographics of these voters? Was it an open poll? Was only for subscribers or something like that? I mean, I could have voted? I ask that because if it was an open poll the situation is more serious than I thought...
It was subscribers-only, but registration was free, so yes, you could have voted. Is it really absurd to say the fanbase for classic rock and heavy metal is far larger than the one for indie rock and that Radiohead have far less crossover potential with this demographics than their fans seem to believe? Because that's my honest opinion as a non-Radiohead fan. And I didn't vote, just in case.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Pierre wrote:
Honorio wrote:That surely means that the voters that participated there voted consciously AGAINST Radiohead.
I don't believe in that. The punishment might have been a thing but not on the scale of hundreds of thousands of votes. I do think it's more like many rock fans who are not so much into indie rock only care about Radiohead for "Creep", The Bends and sometimes OK Computer, where they start to fit less in the Britpop aesthetics and their music becomes generally less catchy and guitar-centric.
Honorio wrote:By the way, could someone explain to me the demographics of these voters? Was it an open poll? Was only for subscribers or something like that? I mean, I could have voted? I ask that because if it was an open poll the situation is more serious than I thought...
It was subscribers-only, but registration was free, so yes, you could have voted. Is it really absurd to say the fanbase for classic rock and heavy metal is far larger than the one for indie rock and that Radiohead have far less crossover potential with this demographics than their fans seem to believe? Because that's my honest opinion as a non-Radiohead fan. And I didn't vote, just in case.
Actually, it was really weird than Kate Bush gets more votes than Radiohead
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Pierre wrote:It was subscribers-only, but registration was free, so yes, you could have voted. Is it really absurd to say the fanbase for classic rock and heavy metal is far larger than the one for indie rock and that Radiohead have far less crossover potential with this demographics than their fans seem to believe? Because that's my honest opinion as a non-Radiohead fan. And I didn't vote, just in case.
So the situation is more serious than I thought. I know that the fanbase of Classic Rock and Metal is way larger than the Indie Rock but maybe the stats Henrik provided about the Spotify listeners per month gives are a more realistic picture of the fanbases than the results of a poll with obviously biased voters. The thing I find more worrying about this particular poll is how it show the enormous gap between the fanbases of Classic Rock and Indie Rock. Hope nobody gets offended but I can't get how a Classic Rock fan cannot enjoy at least some Indie Rock (or how an Indie Rock fan cannot enjoy at least some Classic Rock), they're not antagonic styles, in fact the latter is the historical evolution of the former. If most of the Rock fans are so narrow minded maybe Rock deserves its death (tying this thread with the one by jonatan).
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

panam wrote: Actually, it was really weird than Kate Bush gets more votes than Radiohead
I don't know... Kate Bush has an audience that crosses over between hipsters, 1980s pop fans and prog fans. That's one more audience than Radiohead (though Radiohead also have fans among electronic music lovers, but I'm not sure they are the majority).
Honorio wrote:
Pierre wrote:It was subscribers-only, but registration was free, so yes, you could have voted. Is it really absurd to say the fanbase for classic rock and heavy metal is far larger than the one for indie rock and that Radiohead have far less crossover potential with this demographics than their fans seem to believe? Because that's my honest opinion as a non-Radiohead fan. And I didn't vote, just in case.
So the situation is more serious than I thought. I know that the fanbase of Classic Rock and Metal is way larger than the Indie Rock but maybe the stats Henrik provided about the Spotify listeners per month gives are a more realistic picture of the fanbases than the results of a poll with obviously biased voters. The thing I find more worrying about this particular poll is how it show the enormous gap between the fanbases of Classic Rock and Indie Rock. Hope nobody gets offended but I can't get how a Classic Rock fan cannot enjoy at least some Indie Rock (or how an Indie Rock fan cannot enjoy at least some Classic Rock), they're not antagonic styles, in fact the latter is the historical evolution of the former. If most of the Rock fans are so narrow minded maybe Rock deserves its death (tying this thread with the one by jonatan).
This gap is terrifying. And the AM community itself is very demonstrative of that, even if that's not the result of deliberate intentions: the narrative established and self-perpetuating here is very hipster/indie rock-oriented, and classic rock lovers like Bruno or Red Ant are totally in the minority, the community doesn't seem to open up to classic rock and heavy metal fans. I don't think we're deliberately hostile toward them (though I've read some eyebrow-raising comments during the annual polls results discussions), it's just that the AM list and the discussions on the forum probably don't look attractive to them, as they're all about acts they don't necessarily care about. Their loss of course, but it's also a loss for AMers, as they're not exposed a lot to alternative approaches to music.

When I started searching for classic rock and heavy metal lists to make my point, not only did I find a lot of them, but I also realized how much their approach to music is alien to that of AM so far. Terrifying.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

FINAL FAN VOTING RESULT:

1. Bon Jovi - 1,162,146
2. Moody Blues - 947,795
3. Dire Straits - 613,749
4. The Cars - 552,733
5. Judas Priest - 538,508
------------------------------
6. The Zombies - 529,478
7. Eurythmics - 451,997
8. J. Geils Band - 349,319
9. Depeche Mode - 302,144
10. Nina Simone - 184,628
11. Kate Bush - 179,337
12. Radiohead - 176,310
13. Rage Against The Machine - 167,903
14. The MC5 - 127004
15. LL Cool J - 118,317
16. Sister Rosetta Tharpe - 111,158
17. Link Wray - 98,436
18. Rufus featuring Chaka Khan - 84,625
19. The Meters - 59,045

Per R&R Hall website, ballots are then sent to more than 900 historians, members of the music industry and artists—including every living Rock Hall inductee—and the five performers receiving the most votes become that year's induction class. Beginning in 2012, fans were given the chance to vote for the nominees they'd like to see inducted into the Rock Hall. The top five vote-getters in the public poll form one ballot, which is weighted the same as the rest of the submitted ballots.

So while it seems that fan votes don't amount to much, blabbermouth.net pointed out that since the fan Vote was created, the top vote-getter that year (previously RUSH, KISS, STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN, CHICAGO, JOURNEY) has wound up being inducted into the Rock Hall.

I guess the fan result does leave an impression on the other voters. Being an artists' artist and critics darling, I don't worry for Radiohead at all. I'm pretty certain it's Bon Jovi, Radiohead, Moody Blues and then probably Dire Straits and The Zombies though I'm hoping a woman will enter, Nina Simone/Kate Bush/Eurythmics (Annie Lennox).

The inductees for the Class Of 2018 will be announced on Wednesday, December 13 via the Rock Hall's Facebook page.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Dexter wrote: I guess the fan result does leave an impression on the other voters. Being an artists' artist and critics darling, I don't worry for Radiohead at all.
There's just one more factor to keep in mind: as StevieFan13 pointed out, Radiohead have expressed public disdain for the Hall of Fame. We'll see if this has an impact as well.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/ ... o_rad.html

- Dire Straits
- Nina Simone
- The Moody Blues
- The Cars
- Bon Jovi
- Sister Rosetta Tharpe (early influence)

I have no further comment to add than the ones I've made already. The results speak for themselves.

EDIT: no, actually, yay Nina Simone and the Moody Blues. Not much opinion about the others.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Regardless of the Radiohead snub, I'm very happy for the inclusion of Nina Simone (albeit much too late) and Dire Straits. I don't begrudge The Moody Blues either and as for Bon Jovi, at least I liked them as a teenager. From The Cars I only know Just What I Needed, so I have nothing to say about them. Tharpe is a good addition for early influence.

All in all, not very adventurous to say the least. Perhaps a bit too classic. But not a bad bunch on themselves.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Happy as such things go for the Moody Blues, but I can picture some negative articles for the HOF today...
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I have seen better classes and I have seen worse. It’s solid lineup, but I was always going to be a little disappointed since there were so many good nominees a few deserving ones were bound to be left out (I was resigned to Radiohead not being inducted at this point, but it’s sad to not see Kate Bush or Judas Priest on the list). I am delighted that Nina Simone and Sister Rosetta Tharpe are on the list though - I thought they were both long shots, so I’m glad the Hall thought otherwise.

I just hope they don’t forget the alt-rock nominees just because they didn’t get as many votes. I recall them totally dropping the Smiths and the Replacements from the ballot the year after they failed to get in, so I hope the same fate doesn’t befall Radiohead, Kate Bush, and Depeche Mode.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

After Journey's induction last year, doesn't surprise me at all that Bon Jovi has been voted into the Hall. Never big critical favorites, but very popular, with mass appeal.

Radiohead pretty much shot itself in the foot, at least in terms of first-year-eligible induction.

Glad to see Nina Simon make it, and Tharpe as an early influence. I like The Cars, so also have no issues with that one. Dire Straits, I like less so, but also no problem. With a lot of acts, it's just a matter of time, really.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

AM rank for each artist:
Bon Jovi (576)
The Cars (383)
Dire Straits (199)
The Moody Blues (648)
Nina Simone (432)
Sister Rosetta Tharpe (1895)
There is No More Firmament.