RIP Charles Bradley

StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

RIP Charles Bradley

Post by StevieFan13 »

Surprised this hasn't been brought up: legendary soul singer Charles Bradley passed away yesterday at the age of 68.
https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/09/ ... s-died-68/
I quite enjoyed his last album, so I'm hoping to do a deeper dive on his stuff. Shame to see he died. This track was on my 2016 EOY list:
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Re: RIP Charles Bradley

Post by Nick »

I hadn't really heard too much about Bradley, and so I just assumed that he was an old R&B singer from the 60s or 70s that somehow flew under my radar. Reading up on him now I'm shocked that his first studio album wasn't released until 2011, when he was 62 years old. What an inspiring story, especially when someone half his age releasing their debut would be considered on the older side. I really liked that song you linked, Steviefan.
StevieFan13
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by StevieFan13 »

Nick wrote:I hadn't really heard too much about Bradley, and so I just assumed that he was an old R&B singer from the 60s or 70s that somehow flew under my radar. Reading up on him now I'm shocked that his first studio album wasn't released until 2011, when he was 62 years old. What an inspiring story, especially when someone half his age releasing their debut would be considered on the older side. I really liked that song you linked, Steviefan.
So did I, actually! First time I had even heard of him was going through the album reviews in an issue of Mojo. Listened and loved this track in particular. Glad you like it too!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

I honestly have never heard any of his music. I've seen his name or reviews of his albums on various websites but like Nick thought he was an old singer that some how resurfaced and had a resurgence. I will definitely give him a listen though.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

I did actually knew that he started recording late in is his life. Around 2011 or maybe a year later a Dutch DJ on the radio had seen Bradley perform at a festival and spend probably five minutes ranting about what he thought was perhaps the best concert of the year. Quickly we were introduced to Bradley's long road to his first recording. At that time I made a mental note to start listening to Bradley. Which I never actually did... Sorry.

Perhaps see if I can give him a spin one of these days.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”