AMF Favorite Albums of All-Time -- RESULTS

Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Re: AMF Favorite Albums of All-Time -- RESULTS

Post by Rob »

panam wrote:This list needs to be an Spotify playlist ;)
Way ahead of you:

What's this? No, it isn't really a list of the top 1000 albums, which would be to silly. It is one track of each album, though. Mostly it is the highest ranked song on the AM top 6000, or else the most listened song on Spotify. I didn't go with my personal taste or unpredictable choices here, just with the popular pick.

A couple of albums are missing, but of a surprising many I could actually find a track belonging to it on Spotify. Of these, nothing is on Spotify:

Kanye West & Jay-Z - Watch the Throne
Neu – Neu!
My Bloody Valentine – MBV
This Heat – Deceit
Kashiwa Daisuke – Stella
Neu! – Neu! ‘75
Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy – I See a Darkness
Moondog – Moondog
Chance the Rapper – Acid Rap
Keith Jarrett – The Köln Concert
Jay-Z – Reasonable Doubt

I don't even know why I started this list, but I ended up enjoying going through this roll-out with this on the background. I was only going to post in on the end, but I guess others might like it too while proceedings go on. I will gradually update it as the list is revealed, though sometimes I might get a bit behing because of a lack of time.
Enjoy!
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

StevieFan13 wrote:I have at least a semi-decent feeling that most of the albums on my list stand a good chance at ranking high, since I only picked 20. Then again, I think it might take a miracle for The Stranger to make it much higher (and I'd be very surprised, albeit very pleased, if it somehow made the top 500).
You only picked twenty? The minimum was fifty.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

babydoll wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:I have at least a semi-decent feeling that most of the albums on my list stand a good chance at ranking high, since I only picked 20. Then again, I think it might take a miracle for The Stranger to make it much higher (and I'd be very surprised, albeit very pleased, if it somehow made the top 500).
I didn't know there was a minimum! Only a maximum.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

StevieFan13 wrote:
babydoll wrote:
notbrianeno wrote:
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:What's the minimum amount for a list? I think I could scrape together something, but getting to 100 may be too difficult.
50 albums should be fine!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

babydoll wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
babydoll wrote: You only picked twenty? The minimum was fifty.
notbrianeno wrote:
Sweepstakes Ron wrote:What's the minimum amount for a list? I think I could scrape together something, but getting to 100 may be too difficult.
Oops.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Thank God there was a maximum. After 1,000 you're just showing off. Even 500 seems plenty.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Anyone has noticed if there were fake accounts lists?
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

StevieFan13 wrote:
babydoll wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote: I didn't know there was a minimum! Only a maximum.
notbrianeno wrote:
Oops.
We'll let NotBrianEno take care of this. Honestly, I think twenty was a little too bare for such a ballot. I honestly thought you had edited it and extended your post, otherwise I would've called out on it and the rules could've been clarified. Nonetheless, this crisis is definitely better than DocBrown's crisis the last time around. Does anyone else remember when he got to maybe top 250 and had to redo the entire list?
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

Great presentation so far, NBE!
panam wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:It feels like we have a noticeable increase in Latin American records, but I'm fine with that. They've all been fun to explore, though I didn't get the Racionais MC's album at all...foreign language rap needs to have some really impressive production for me to care, and opening with yet another song that samples Ike's Rap II doesn't help...
It's nice too see Latin albums but some of these albumes obtain better positions in the last edition :/

"Siembra", top 1000!! The sad part is that probably will be the only Spanish Latin American album on the Top 1000, the last 20 votes no include any latin american albums so that people that support these albums were diluted.

But, on the one hand, it seems it will be many Brazilian albums, Racionais MC on the Top 1000? It must be only votes from Brazil, maybe I'm wrong. People who vote for that album, say something!
Although I didn't vote (and have never listened to the "Racionais MC" album), it is one of the most acclaimed Brazilian albums from last decade. From your comments, I imagine the lyrics have much to do with its acclaim. This is one of the reasons I was interested for foreign (specially English-speaking) music at first: lyrics don't play any role in your appreciation of the song/album.

Compared to other lists, we could think there are many Brazilian albums here, but I actually think the opposite: almost all other countries are under-represented. We are used to confuse best music of all time with best US/UK music of all time, but there's much more going on in the world than we think. I am convicted my all time #7 (Jorge Ben's "A Tábua de Esmeralda") would fairly deserve a place in AM top 100, but here am I, thrilled for thinking it possibly might make our top 500...
Anyway, this is a much more democratic and interesting list than we use to see everywhere.
Last edited by Toni on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

babydoll wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
babydoll wrote:
Oops.
We'll let NotBrianEno take care of this. Honestly, I think twenty was a little too bare for such a ballot. I honestly thought you had edited it and extended your post, otherwise I would've called out on it and the rules could've been clarified. Nonetheless, this crisis is definitely better than DocBrown's crisis the last time around. Does anyone else remember when he got to maybe top 250 and had to redo the entire list?
I think it might be a top 25 or so? I dunno.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

luvulongTIM wrote:Thank God there was a maximum. After 1,000 you're just showing off. Even 500 seems plenty.
I agree with 500 for albums. But for songs, it would be interesting to have a maximum of 1000.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Bruno wrote:
luvulongTIM wrote:Thank God there was a maximum. After 1,000 you're just showing off. Even 500 seems plenty.
I agree with 500 for albums. But for songs, it would be interesting to have a maximum of 1000.
I was going to suggest this for next year. I see multiple sprawling lists and I just think maximum 1000, minimum 250 would be peachy.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

babydoll wrote:
Bruno wrote:
I was going to suggest this for next year. I see multiple sprawling lists and I just think maximum 1000, minimum 250 would be peachy.
Good idea.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Just remember that increasing to 1000 would massively increase the amount of time it would take to compile everything together, especially since there's so much variance in how some songs are listed. I still have nightmares over making sense of Voodoo Chile/Voodoo Child/Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)/Voodoo Child (Slight Return)...
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

BleuPanda wrote:Just remember that increasing to 1000 would massively increase the amount of time it would take to compile everything together, especially since there's so much variance in how some songs are listed. I still have nightmares over making sense of Voodoo Chile/Voodoo Child/Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)/Voodoo Child (Slight Return)...
I think we can survive after the long period it took for this countdown to come to creation.

I was thinking of that, which is why I merely was going to suggest it. Try to make a convincing argument for it.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

Excellent rollout and presentation! Thank you all for your hard work.

Very interesting mix of music. Excited to see some completely unfamiliar names in the mix - should be some fun discoveries in there. And thrilled to see so many 2016 releases doing well! I considered it a phenomenal year for music, and we still haven't even seen You Want It Darker or, of course, Blackstar, which I'd reckon might hit the top 200.

I'm definitely noticing one trend - every album for which I'm listed as the top fan is usually a deeply sad record: Are We There, I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, Puberty 2, The Lonesome Crowded West, Give Up, etc. I'm nothing if not consistent.
panam
Full of Fire

Re:

Post by panam »

Toni wrote:Great presentation so far, NBE!
panam wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:It feels like we have a noticeable increase in Latin American records, but I'm fine with that. They've all been fun to explore, though I didn't get the Racionais MC's album at all...foreign language rap needs to have some really impressive production for me to care, and opening with yet another song that samples Ike's Rap II doesn't help...
It's nice too see Latin albums but some of these albumes obtain better positions in the last edition :/

"Siembra", top 1000!! The sad part is that probably will be the only Spanish Latin American album on the Top 1000, the last 20 votes no include any latin american albums so that people that support these albums were diluted.

But, on the one hand, it seems it will be many Brazilian albums, Racionais MC on the Top 1000? It must be only votes from Brazil, maybe I'm wrong. People who vote for that album, say something!
Although I didn't vote (and have never listened to the "Racionais MC" album), it is one of the most acclaimed Brazilian albums from last decade. From your comments, I imagine the lyrics have much to do with its acclaim. This is one of the reasons I was interested for foreign (specially English-speaking) music at first: lyrics don't play any role in your appreciation of the song/album.

Compared to other lists, we could think there are many Brazilian albums here, but I actually think the opposite: almost all other countries are under-represented. We are used to confuse best music of all time with best US/UK music of all time, but there's much more going on in the world than we think. I am convicted my all time #7 (Jorge Ben's "A Tábua de Esmeralda") would fairly deserve a place in AM top 100, but here am I, thrilled for thinking it possibly might make our top 500...
Anyway, this is a much more democratic and interesting list than we use to see everywhere.
Yeah, as I says I think the last people who vote don't consider any international album (outside UK/USA/Canada) and dilute the votes of African and Latin American albums. Actually, the previous version of the AMF lists had better positions for albums that here are outside the top 500.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

I think it's a harder work to make a list of 500 albums than only 50. But at the end both number ones have the same points and it's a little unfair :/
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

In the case of StevieFan, i am perfectly willing to accept a 25-album list, considering it is his first time submitting, and he expanded his original 10-album list. I'm certainly not going to stop the rollout and revise everything just because he didn't give 25 other albums points.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Re: Re:

Post by babydoll »

panam wrote:Yeah, as I says I think the last people who vote don't consider any international album (outside UK/USA/Canada) and dilute the votes of African and Latin American albums. Actually, the previous version of the AMF lists had better positions for albums that here are outside the top 500.
I must admit that I was very disappointed with the lackluster reception to Jacques Brel's Ces gens-là this time around. It was top 500 last time and it dropped several hundred places the time around!

But that's not Latin. I just thought it was still relevant.
panam wrote:I think it's a harder work to make a list of 500 albums than only 50. But at the end both number ones have the same points and it's a little unfair :/
Why? They're still number one albums even if the list are shorter. It probably wouldn't matter if the list was longer.
panam
Full of Fire

Re: Re:

Post by panam »

babydoll wrote:
panam wrote:I think it's a harder work to make a list of 500 albums than only 50. But at the end both number ones have the same points and it's a little unfair :/
Why? They're still number one albums even if the list are shorter. It probably wouldn't matter if the list was longer.
Yeah, but having an spectrum of 500 is good sign that you have been listening a lot of albums so your number one must be really especial among a big number of records, not the same with a total of inferior numbers.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

Friendly reminder we have a discussion thread to avoid clogging the results thread with pages of conversation
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

notbrianeno wrote:Friendly reminder we have a discussion thread to avoid clogging the results thread with pages of conversation
Sorry, I love y'all! :)
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

#610. The Boo Radleys | Giant Steps (1993)
# of Voters: 7 | Score: 340.734
Rank in 2014: #574
AM 3000 Rank: #882
Top Fans: Spiritualized (#8), Jackson (#35), LuvulongTIM (#47)

#609. Fever Ray | Fever Ray (2009)
# of Voters: 7 | Score: 341.563
Rank in 2014: #366
AM 3000 Rank: #637
Top Fans: Nassim (#18), NotBrianEno (#48), Michel (#49)

#608. Sleater-Kinney | The Woods (2005)
# of Voters: 10 | Score: 342.486
Rank in 2014: #400
AM 3000 Rank: #696
Top Fans: LuvulongTIM (#32)

#607. Primal Scream | XTRMNTR (2000)
# of Voters: 10 | Score: 343.730
Rank in 2014: #372
AM 3000 Rank: #476
Top Fans: LuvulongTIM (#28), Jackson (#62)

#606. Coldplay | X&Y (2005)
# of Voters: 8 | Score: 343.858
Rank in 2014: #862
AM 3000 Rank: #2983
Top Fans: Karla (#60), Chambord (#68), Whuntva (#77)

#605. Dirty Projectors | Bitte Orca (2009)
# of Voters: 10 | Score: 344.219
Rank in 2014: #560
AM 3000 Rank: #603
Top Fans: SweepstakesRon (#50)

#604. Linkin Park | Meteora (2003)
# of Voters: 6 | Score: 344.260
Rank in 2014: #1316
AM 3000 Rank: --
Top Fans: Karla (#13), Luis15Fernando (#40), Renan (#51)

#603. Sinéad O'Connor | I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got (1990)
# of Voters: 11 | Score: 345.513
Rank in 2014: #369
AM 3000 Rank: #485
Top Fans: BonnieLaurel (#67), GabeBasso (#92)

#602. Serge Gainsbourg | Initials B.B. (1968)
# of Voters: 6 | Score: 346.697
Rank in 2014: #387
AM 3000 Rank: #2004
Top Fans: Romain (#28), Babydoll (#71), OrdinaryPerson (#90)

#601. Richard and Linda Thompson | Shoot Out the Lights (1982)
# of Voters: 7 | Score: 346.767
Rank in 2014: #337
AM 3000 Rank: #459
Top Fans: VanillaFire1000 (#30), Listyguy (#79)
Last edited by notbrianeno on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Getting closer and closer to the top 500! Glad to see The Woods made the cut!
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

spiderpig wrote:
notbrianeno wrote:
#628. Michael Jackson | HIStory: Past, Present, and Future - Book I (1995)
# of Voters: 6 | Score: 334.179
Rank in 2014: #2421
AM 3000 Rank: Unranked
Top Fans: Karla (#10), Felipinho (#23), Renan (#25)
Michael Jackson's "HIStory"? That was... unexpected. And also slightly unfair. Half of this "album" (the entirety of disc one) is just a compilation, and not even a rarities compilation - it's a greatest hits. So I wonder if this sort of album should be allowed. I don't really have a position on the matter yet, I just wonder what rules may apply here. I also wonder if our fellow forum members who voted for this record disregarded disc 1 and just cast their vote based on disc 2. Now disc 2 is generally considered average at best, so if that is what happened, it may indeed be the most surprising placement on this poll.
Very unexpected. I could never get into that album even though I bought the double CD when it came out. I haven't listened to it in a very long time. Maybe it will get better on another listen.
Last edited by bootsy on Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

#600. The Byrds | Younger Than Yesterday (1967)
# of Voters: 12 | Score: 346.884
Rank in 2014: #481
AM 3000 Rank: #249
Top Fans: --

#599. Stereolab | Emperor Tomato Ketchup (1996)
# of Voters: 10 | Score: 347.045
Rank in 2014: #348
AM 3000 Rank: #672
Top Fans: BangJan (#87), Spiritualized (#96)

#598. Red Hot Chili Peppers | By the Way (2002)
# of Voters: 7 | Score: 347.583
Rank in 2014: #1363
AM 3000 Rank: #1946
Top Fans: Karla (#22), Felipinho (#25), Renan (#40)

#597. Kanye West | Graduation (2007)
# of Voters: 8 | Score: 350.057
Rank in 2014: #526
AM 3000 Rank: #909
Top Fans: Luis15Fernando (#6), SweepstakesRon (#57), PlasticRam (#89)

#596. Justin Timberlake | The 20/20 Experience (2013)
# of Voters: 6 | Score: 351.202
Rank in 2014: #3364
AM 3000 Rank: #2785
Top Fans: Karla (#2), Luis15Fernando (#7), Felipinho (#27), Renan (#50)

#595. Belle & Sebastian | The Life Pursuit (2006)
# of Voters: 8 | Score: 351.364
Rank in 2014: #564
AM 3000 Rank: #1266
Top Fans: LuvulongTIM (#26), Toni (#86), Miguel (#97)

#594. X | Los Angeles (1980)
# of Voters: 9 | Score: 351.995
Rank in 2014: #654
AM 3000 Rank: #477
Top Fans: Spiritualized (#86), BryanBehar (#87)

#593. Etta James | At Last! (1960)
# of Voters: 10 | Score: 352.317
Rank in 2014: #3912
AM 3000 Rank: #1414
Top Fans: --

#592. Can | Future Days (1973)
# of Voters: 11 | Score: 352.652
Rank in 2014: #507
AM 3000 Rank: #668
Top Fans: SonofSamIAm (#38), BangJan (#76)

#591. The Byrds | Sweetheart of the Rodeo (1968)
# of Voters: 9 | Score: 353.143
Rank in 2014: #510
AM 3000 Rank: #185
Top Fans: Miguel (#19)
Last edited by notbrianeno on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Ok, even as a JT fan, that's a surprisingly high finish for The 20/20 Experience. Beat out a LOT of really good albums.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote:Ok, even as a JT fan, that's a surprisingly high finish for The 20/20 Experience. Beat out a LOT of really good albums.
Very. At least it wasn't Part 2
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

StevieFan13 wrote:Ok, even as a JT fan, that's a surprisingly high finish for The 20/20 Experience. Beat out a LOT of really good albums.
At the risk of prolonging the discussion (not to mention coming off as a snob), it's irrefutable that certain polls are seriously skewing these results. Also, Meteora at #604?
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Harold wrote:
At the risk of prolonging the discussion (not to mention coming off as a snob), it's irrefutable that certain polls are seriously skewing these results. Also, Meteora at #604?
It is but I look at this as more of a fan poll. Some of these albums aren't going to show up on a lot of 'best of' lists but we as fans have certain favorites that we love.
notbrianeno
Movin' On Up

Post by notbrianeno »

If we're going to continue to merely pay lip service to appreciating the diversity of this list, question the credentials, knowledge and intentions of voters, and demean the taste of others, then my time in this forum may be reaching its end. I've become continually frustrated with this forum's increasing snobbery with every poll, and I know for a fact that several other members feel the same way and are less active on the site due to this very same issue.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

notbrianeno wrote:If we're going to continue to merely pay lip service to appreciating the diversity of this list, question the credentials, knowledge and intentions of voters, and demean the taste of others, then my time in this forum may be reaching its end. I've become continually frustrated with this forum's increasing snobbery with every poll, and I know for a fact that several other members feel the same way and are less active on the site due to this very same issue.
Oh, I don't judge at all! Most of my tastes lean toward pop, and my intention is not to yuck others' yum, as it were. I'm just surprised to see it snag such a high spot. Doesn't mean I think it's a bad thing (I quite enjoy it, actually).
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

It's been a joy to see the variety of genres and languages on display here, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing what the top 500 looks like when so many critical darlings have missed it. Makes it much more interesting. Like what you like, music is subjective.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

I'm also the one who posted a list of the best South Park songs in the critics' list forum, so call me what you will, but I ain't picky.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote:
notbrianeno wrote:If we're going to continue to merely pay lip service to appreciating the diversity of this list, question the credentials, knowledge and intentions of voters, and demean the taste of others, then my time in this forum may be reaching its end. I've become continually frustrated with this forum's increasing snobbery with every poll, and I know for a fact that several other members feel the same way and are less active on the site due to this very same issue.
Oh, I don't judge at all! Most of my tastes lean toward pop, and my intention is not to yuck others' yum, as it were. I'm just surprised to see it snag such a high spot. Doesn't mean I think it's a bad thing (I quite enjoy it, actually).
Yeah no one is being a snob we are expressing our opinions and surprises of what we see on the list. Nothing wrong with that.
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

I'd agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. Let's not cast too harsh of judgments on anyone's musical tastes. I'm not the biggest Linkin Park fan, but I'd much rather listen to Meteora than something truly execrable, like, I don't know, any Bon Iver album :whistle: And I also spent the first year or two of my time here as a lurker, and only really by participating in polls like this one did I become a more active member. We should be encouraging that kind of involvement. We must remember that we are one of the smaller internet communities around, and with growth comes many changes.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

I don't think people are attacking each other. Our problem is that we're very passionate. We're enjoying every episode of the results. And exactly as happened in the finale of the season of a tv show, people show their feelings about it. No prejudices. Respect!
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Rob wrote:
panam wrote:This list needs to be an Spotify playlist ;)
Way ahead of you:

What's this? No, it isn't really a list of the top 1000 albums, which would be to silly. It is one track of each album, though. Mostly it is the highest ranked song on the AM top 6000, or else the most listened song on Spotify. I didn't go with my personal taste or unpredictable choices here, just with the popular pick.

A couple of albums are missing, but of a surprising many I could actually find a track belonging to it on Spotify. Of these, nothing is on Spotify:

Kanye West & Jay-Z - Watch the Throne
Neu – Neu!
My Bloody Valentine – MBV
This Heat – Deceit
Kashiwa Daisuke – Stella
Neu! – Neu! ‘75
Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy – I See a Darkness
Moondog – Moondog
Chance the Rapper – Acid Rap
Keith Jarrett – The Köln Concert
Jay-Z – Reasonable Doubt

I don't even know why I started this list, but I ended up enjoying going through this roll-out with this on the background. I was only going to post in on the end, but I guess others might like it too while proceedings go on. I will gradually update it as the list is revealed, though sometimes I might get a bit behing because of a lack of time.
Enjoy!
Thank you, you're awesome!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

acroamor wrote:
I'd agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. Let's not cast too harsh of judgments on anyone's musical tastes. I'm not the biggest Linkin Park fan, but I'd much rather listen to Meteora than something truly execrable, like, I don't know, any Bon Iver album :whistle: And I also spent the first year or two of my time here as a lurker, and only really by participating in polls like this one did I become a more active member. We should be encouraging that kind of involvement. We must remember that we are one of the smaller internet communities around, and with growth comes many changes.
Exactly! And for the record, if my comments came off as snobbish in any way, I sincerely apologize. Not my intention in the slightest. So Meteora made it. Good for Meteora! If it makes people happy and doesn't hurt anyone, it can't be that bad.
And hey, I'd listen to it before a lot of albums critics tell me I'm supposed to like (*cough*Aphex Twin*cough*but if you like Aphex Twin for reasons other than critical recommendation that's totally cool*cough*just my silly opinion*cough*)
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

acroamor wrote:
You are pretty much doing the same thing by stating you'd rather listen to Lincoln Park over Bon Iver. That's kind of what we are doing reacting to the poll.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

StevieFan13 wrote:
acroamor wrote:
Exactly! And for the record, if my comments came off as snobbish in any way, I sincerely apologize. Not my intention in the slightest. So Meteora made it. Good for Meteora! If it makes people happy and doesn't hurt anyone, it can't be that bad.
And hey, I'd listen to it before a lot of albums critics tell me I'm supposed to like (*cough*Aphex Twin*cough*but if you like Aphex Twin for reasons other than critical recommendation that's totally cool*cough*just my silly opinion*cough*)
Why can't we listen to it for critical reasons? There's nothing wrong with listening for that reason. I've never listened to or watched something because a critic told me to but it does get me to curiously listen or watch something that critics seem to like.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

I started looking for critics' lists that would push hair metal on the website as a reaction to that very exact issue after what happened during the artists' poll. Looks like things aren't changing for the better.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

notbrianeno wrote:If we're going to continue...
notbrianeno conveyed my thoughts almost exactly. The days of hostile members like Bruce are thankfully behind us, but I've definitely seen a fair few comments throughout this forum I didn't vibe with. I don't mean to propel a referendum on polite discourse on this thread, I'm just glad something was said.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Very pleased to see the huge rise for Etta James.
Chambord
Let's Get It On

Post by Chambord »

I can imagine the amount of time and nerves put into compiling the results and I'm truly grateful to notbrianeno and the others who worked for it.

So I hate to be pointing out small errors: it seems that me and BryanBehar are switched now in the Top Fans appearances (this occurred since yesterday when I pointed out that I don't have The Replacements - Tim in my list, and it was corrected).

I have #606. Coldplay | X&Y (2005) as #68 in my ballot, not him.
He has #594. X | Los Angeles (1980) as #87 in his ballot, not me.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Seeing Linkin Park place two albums (is Hybrid Theory gonna land as well?) has reminded me, I'm curious if this band will ever achieve critical acclaim in some form. I feel like the band has been treated as a joke among circles like these since their debut, but I think part of it is this weird sense of inauthenticity? But I think with Chester Bennington's death, that's a harder claim to make. Even if I'm not much of a fan, I find it weird they've achieved practically nothing on AM. They represent a big element of early 2000s music from my point of view. Was nu metal such a blight on music? Or maybe because the genre was treated as a fad, critics feel no need to mention it, even though Linkin Park specifically has outlived it.

It's just weird in an era where critics are lamenting the death of rock in mainstream culture, a band that succeeded was met with such derision. Sure, it might be cheesy at times, but we've been able to overlook similar flaws in other groups. What is it about Linkin Park that causes so much controversy?
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Bring on the pop onslaught, I say! I'm absolutely giddy at the thought that my #3 album of all-time might place in the top 500, and I imagine I owe a lot of that to the contributions of our more pop-friendly voters.

I imagine most of us have albums/songs/artists that we despise showing up in our polls, but that's the nature of having a community diverse in its tastes. Many of you know very well that there are several giants of these polls that I can't stand (at all), but that doesn't take away from the fact that they aren't supremely meaningful to many here, and that is what we should be celebrating here.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

This list is freaking amazing, by the way. I love seeing the breadth of it. Long may AM reign as the best music forum in the world.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

BleuPanda wrote:Seeing Linkin Park place two albums (is Hybrid Theory gonna land as well?) has reminded me, I'm curious if this band will ever achieve critical acclaim in some form. I feel like the band has been treated as a joke among circles like these since their debut, but I think part of it is this weird sense of inauthenticity? But I think with Chester Bennington's death, that's a harder claim to make. Even if I'm not much of a fan, I find it weird they've achieved practically nothing on AM. They represent a big element of early 2000s music from my point of view. Was nu metal such a blight on music? Or maybe because the genre was treated as a fad, critics feel no need to mention it, even though Linkin Park specifically has outlived it.

It's just weird in an era where critics are lamenting the death of rock in mainstream culture, a band that succeeded was met with such derision. Sure, it might be cheesy at times, but we've been able to overlook similar flaws in other groups. What is it about Linkin Park that causes so much controversy?
You can add Limp Bizkit to the list of nu metal acts that were very successful but critics don't like much, but in their case, they have some unforgivable sins to carry with them, like that horrendous "Behind Blue Eyes" cover that should never have existed. While I don't really see an actual reason to hate Linkin Park. Maybe it was because most critics didn't really like nu metal and took what they perceived as the most commercially successful act in the genre as their scapegoat.

Me and StevieFan13 posted quite a number of metal lists and what I can say is that Linkin Park seem to be perceived as a one-album wonder, with Hybrid Theory raking nearly all of the acclaim. Only Meteora seems to have marginal chances of becoming a bubbler whenever these lists are added to AM.

Personal fringe theory: maybe in the context of their appearance, they were perceived as a fusion of emo (in sounds, not looks) and metal at a point in time when emo was starting to get a backlash for going increasingly commercial. But I don't really think this theory is relevant myself.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”