AMF Favorite Albums of All-Time -- Prediction Thread

babydoll
Movin' On Up

Re: AMF Favorite Albums of All-Time -- Prediction Thread

Post by babydoll »

Henry wrote:Is there any chance one or more of these didn't make it to the top 1000?
I don't think I'm spoiling anything when I say very slim chance.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Henry wrote:Is there any chance one or more of these didn't make it to the top 1000?
I think they will all make it. "Time Out" already showed up though.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Someone indicated that they were not quite ready for the upcoming Beatles onslaught. With that in mind, how about some predictions about where the remaining Beatle albums will drop:

A Hard Day's Night (2014 poll rank according to my suspect records = 214)
Help! (202)
Let It Be (174)

We should be seeing the above three albums pretty soon.

It may take a while longer for the following albums:
Magical Mystery Tour (95)
Rubber Soul (36)
White Album (11)
Abbey Road (9)
Sgt. Pepper's (8)
Revolver (7)

I would be surprised if the top 4 Beatles albums are as tightly bunched this time as they were in the 2014 poll.
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Not a prediction, but my preference is for those first 3 Beatles albums to fall in reverse order from last time. A Hard Day's Night being easily the best of them.

At the top, I can foresee Abbey Road overtaking Sgt. Pepper's but not Revolver.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Now it gets really interesting.

With the top 200 albums left to be unveiled, there are 199 albums from 2014's top 500 that have not appeared yet in the top 1000.

And we're still waiting for To Pimp a Butterfly, Carrie & Lowell, Blackstar, and A Moon Shaped Pool as well.

I'm not expecting any more outliers, so that means there are 200 slots for 203 albums.

So which three fell all the way out of the top 1000? My guesses: Bob Marley's Live! (#494 in 2014), Johnny Cash's American Recordings (#391), and Talk Talk's The Colour of Spring (#389). (I had listed Abraxas in a previous post, but it's since shown up.)
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

prosecutorgodot wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:Maybe I would go as low as 20 days, but any faster and people will only look at their favorites, as you said.
Just a question, but do many people do that? No matter the roll-out speed, I always go through the list slowly and try to give every entry at least some attention. That's part of the fun.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

We have a lot more Radiohead albums left (and Beatles albums too); I'm surprised A Moon Shaped Pool landed so low in the band's catalogue.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I was very happy to see War in the top 200...until I was reminded that it finished in the 120's back in 2014 (which honestly seems higher than the forum as a whole values that album, so I guess it came back to a more realistic rank).

Also...Thriller finished at #33 the last time we ran this poll. It seems like a lock for the top 20 this time around.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Listyguy wrote: Also...Thriller finished at #33 the last time we ran this poll. It seems like a lock for the top 20 this time around.
Doubling down on this after seeing Bad go from #308 to #164. Hell, top 10 seems possible (albeit an outside shot).
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

In 2014 poll "The Dark Side of the Moon" jump from #44 to #14!!!
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Bruno wrote:In 2014 poll "The Dark Side of the Moon" jump from #44 to #14!!!
..and hopefully, with new voters like me, the album with stay at the top 20. Bruno, are you from São Paulo? I was there last month and I bought a Dark Side of the Moon vinyl original 1973 pressing at Benedito Calixto Square. I really enjoyed your city, it has a great vibe musically.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Rob wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:Maybe I would go as low as 20 days, but any faster and people will only look at their favorites, as you said.
Just a question, but do many people do that? No matter the roll-out speed, I always go through the list slowly and try to give every entry at least some attention. That's part of the fun.
I like to check out surprises that I haven't considered before. But, some of the AM favorites that I've listened to more than ten times and still find provide marginal if any enjoyment don't receive much positive attention from me no matter where they place in the poll. In those not so rare instances where albums that don't work for me place in the top 20, I shake my head and stare and wonder. How to face the day anew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_TrWNjUv7Q
Last edited by Henry on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Listyguy wrote:
Listyguy wrote: Also...Thriller finished at #33 the last time we ran this poll. It seems like a lock for the top 20 this time around.
Doubling down on this after seeing Bad go from #308 to #164. Hell, top 10 seems possible (albeit an outside shot).
Ambitious! I will be very impressed if you get this right.
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

Henry wrote:
Rob wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:
I like to check out surprises that I haven't considered before. But, some of the AM favorites that I've listened to more than ten times and still find provide marginal if any enjoyment don't receive much positive attention from me no matter where they place in the poll. In those not so rare instances where albums that don't work for me place in the top 20, I shake my head and stare and wonder. How to face the day anew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_TrWNjUv7Q
Wow, listening to an album you don't care for ten times is some serious dedication. I should probably give more acclaimed albums I don't like another chance.

As for The Dark Side of the Moon, with voters like me too (it was my #1), it may even crack the top 10 or at least come very close.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Dexter wrote:
Bruno wrote:In 2014 poll "The Dark Side of the Moon" jump from #44 to #14!!!
..and hopefully, with new voters like me, the album with stay at the top 20. Bruno, are you from São Paulo? I was there last month and I bought a Dark Side of the Moon vinyl original 1973 pressing at Benedito Calixto Square. I really enjoyed your city, it has a great vibe musically.
Yes, I'm from São Paulo. I'm glad you liked the city!

Have you been to the Rock Gallery?
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Let's see how many of these notable efforts drop before we get to 100:

Arcade FIre - The Suburbs (my all-time rating=250, AM Top 3000 rating=214, 2014 poll rating=123, 2017 poll rating=88)

Beck - Odelay (312, 54, 83, 95)

Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister (394, 209, 137, 138)

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town (228, 106, 76, 90)

Carole King - Tapestry (62, 71, 209, 109)

Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head (151, 288, 179, 111) - Nice move up after being expected to drop before 120

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly (435, 173, 146, 125) - as expected dropped before 120

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (170, 144, 157, 93) - surprisingly good showing as I had expected this album to drop before 100

Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid (337, 368, 134, 119)

Jeff Buckley - Grace (290, 59, 75, TBD)

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (230, 78, 86, 85)

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (473, 141, 110, 102)

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin (159, 116, 226, 110) - as expected dropped before 100

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II (448, 74, 161, 87) - very nice move up from last poll.

Neil Young - Harvest (284, 93, 124, 134)

Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory (105, 87, 98, 57) - nice move up

Pink Floyd - The Wall (452, 155, 121, 114)

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake (321, 166, 136, 132)

Queen - Night at the Opera (158, 153, 207, 104)

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (257, 140, 111)

The Band - The Band (102, 52, 163, 141) - as expected dropped before 120

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (210, 1080, 95, 86) - Why does this album outperform in the AM polls? Is it because of Strawberry Fields Forever?

The Beatles - Help! (185, 706, 202, 133) as expected dropped before 120

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night (146, 223, 214, 143) - as expected dropped before 120
Last edited by Henry on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:52 am, edited 8 times in total.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Henry wrote:Let's see how many of these notable efforts drop before we get to 100:

Tom Petty - Damn the Torpedoes (134, 638, 670) - likely missed the top 1000.

This one landed at 389.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

BleuPanda wrote:
Henry wrote:Let's see how many of these notable efforts drop before we get to 100:

Tom Petty - Damn the Torpedoes (134, 638, 670) - likely missed the top 1000.

This one landed at 389.
And Some Girls at 502
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Henry wrote: Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story (188, 169, 296) - expected to drop before 120, could this have missed the top 1000?
This is at #360.
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

Henry wrote: The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (210, 1080, 95) - Why does this album outperform in the AM polls? Is it because of Strawberry Fields Forever?
I've been meaning to write a post about this, so you've inspired me to start a thread about it. :P
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Bruno wrote:
Dexter wrote:Yes, I'm from São Paulo. I'm glad you liked the city!

I've read about it (4 floors full of rock merchandise) but my Paulistana friend, who showed me around SP, didn't take me there. We did go to a rock bar near Paulista Avenue (Café Piu Piu, if I'm not mistaken) where the band played really good rock music (Hives, QotSA, Killers, Oasis, etc. and a few Brazilian rock song). The Avenue itself is full of music especially on a Sunday. You're lucky to live in a great rocking city.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Had a dream last night that both Thriller and Purple Rain made the top 10. :lol:
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Henry wrote:The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour (210, 1080, 95) - Why does this album outperform in the AM polls? Is it because of Strawberry Fields Forever?
Because it's amazing?
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Moonbeam wrote:Had a dream last night that both Thriller and Purple Rain made the top 10. :lol:
That was a good dream (though probably inaccurate).
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Live in Phoenix wrote:
Moonbeam wrote:Had a dream last night that both Thriller and Purple Rain made the top 10. :lol:
That was a good dream (though probably inaccurate).
Purple Rain I'd be happy with. Thriller not so much - I like it (I ranked it 343 in my list), but I don't think it deserves top 10 status.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

I'm expecting ATCQ before we hit 120, and I think it will be the first or second album to hit 30 votes.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Dexter wrote:
Bruno wrote:
Dexter wrote:Yes, I'm from São Paulo. I'm glad you liked the city!

I've read about it (4 floors full of rock merchandise) but my Paulistana friend, who showed me around SP, didn't take me there. We did go to a rock bar near Paulista Avenue (Café Piu Piu, if I'm not mistaken) where the band played really good rock music (Hives, QotSA, Killers, Oasis, etc. and a few Brazilian rock song). The Avenue itself is full of music especially on a Sunday. You're lucky to live in a great rocking city.
:music-rockon:

Café Piu Piu is a nice place!
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Ayyy shout out to my boy Kenny Llama. No matter what happens, he's going to get some damn good placements.

Also shout out to MTV Unplugged in New York. My favorite Nirvana album :P Very surprised at its high placement.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

veganvalentine wrote: I loved Funeral when it first came out and own the album, but its abiding moroseness has lost its appeal to me over the years, and I didn't include it in my list.
I generally agree with andyd1010 regarding punk (and he and I seem to have similar taste in music)
We do seem to have similar tastes, but it's unfortunate that my #1 has lost its luster for you. I would say that "abiding moroseness" has caused me to rank bands like The Cure, Joy Division, and The Smiths lower than others, and I see they are also absent from your list. But I think Arcade Fire has enough energy to convey those feelings in a uniquely powerful way. It's so emotional, passionate and raw, the chord progressions are fantastic, and despite the melancholy nature of the album, there are still songs you can rock out to. From the piano figure in Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels), the violin motif in Rebellion (Lies), the grandiose chorus of Wake Up, the relentless drum pattern of Neighborhood #3 (Power Out), and the way everything seamlessly fits together, it will be difficult for another album to ever supplant it as my #1.
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

andyd1010 wrote:
veganvalentine wrote: I loved Funeral when it first came out and own the album, but its abiding moroseness has lost its appeal to me over the years, and I didn't include it in my list.
I generally agree with andyd1010 regarding punk (and he and I seem to have similar taste in music)
We do seem to have similar tastes, but it's unfortunate that my #1 has lost its luster for you. I would say that "abiding moroseness" has caused me to rank bands like The Cure, Joy Division, and The Smiths lower than others, and I see they are also absent from your list. But I think Arcade Fire has enough energy to convey those feelings in a uniquely powerful way. It's so emotional, passionate and raw, the chord progressions are fantastic, and despite the melancholy nature of the album, there are still songs you can rock out to. From the piano figure in Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels), the violin motif in Rebellion (Lies), the grandiose chorus of Wake Up, the relentless drum pattern of Neighborhood #3 (Power Out), and the way everything seamlessly fits together, it will be difficult for another album to ever supplant it as my #1.
Honestly, maybe I was in a bad mood or hungry when I listened to Funeral recently. Also, Apple Music was being annoying and skipping Neighborhood #1 for some reason. I'll probably enjoy it more next time I listen to it.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

veganvalentine wrote:
andyd1010 wrote:
Honestly, maybe I was in a bad mood or hungry when I listened to Funeral recently. Also, Apple Music was being annoying and skipping Neighborhood #1 for some reason. I'll probably enjoy it more next time I listen to it.
Haha. Then I'll blame Apple Music if it falls out of the top 6.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

And so we're down to the top 100.

Looks like 87 of the top 100 from 2014 will still be there this time around. Highest-ranking 2014 album to drop out of the top 100: Murmur, from 46 to 103; next-highest: Daydream Nation, 72 to 106.

Album that looks to make the biggest jump into this year's top 100: Physical Graffiti, #184 in 2014.

To Pimp a Butterfly and Blackstar in the top 100.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Nick wrote:I'm very interested in seeing how the 2010s albums rank this time around. For reference, here were the 10 highest ranking 2010s albums back in our 2014 poll...

#69 Kanye West- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
#118 Frank Ocean- Channel Orange
#124 Arcade Fire- The Suburbs
#133 Janelle Monae- The ArchAndroid
#134 The National- High Violet
#135 PJ Harvey- Let England Shake
#152 Daft Punk- Random Access Memories
#171 Vampire Weekend- Modern Vampires of the City
#172 Kendrick Lamar- Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City
#255 Kanye West- Yeezus
Well folks, we're at the threshold of the top 100, and if my predictions come true (and I see no reason why they shouldn't), then there are 6 albums from this decade still left to appear (My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, The Suburbs, Channel Orange, Good Kid MAAD City, To Pimp a Butterfly, and Blackstar). Meaning that 4 of the top 10 albums from this decade have appeared thus far. This is how they rank...

10. The National- High Violet (#139)
9. PJ Harvey- Let England Shake (#132)
8. Vampire Weekend- Modern Vampires of the City (#122)
7. Janelle Monae- The ArchAndroid (#119)

Already a much better performance for 2010s albums than our 2014 poll!
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Which do you think will be the highest album of the decade?
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Bruno wrote:Which do you think will be the highest album of the decade?

This is my stab at where the remaining 6 will fall...

6. Arcade Fire- The Suburbs (#95)
5. Kendrick Lamar- Good Kid, MAAD City (#90)
4. Frank Ocean- Channel Orange (#85)
3. Kendrick Lamar- To Pimp a Butterfly (#75)
2. David Bowie- Blackstar (#70)
1. Kanye West- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (#50)
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I'm actually surprised The Suburbs is still hanging in there. Here's my stab at how these six will rank:

6. The Suburbs
5. Channel Orange
4. Blackstar
3. Good Kid mAAd City
2. To Pimp a Butterfly
1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

My breakdown for the genres of the top 100:
41 Rock (alternative, progressive, art, indie,...)
16 Pop
8 New wave / Post-punk
7 R&B
7 Folk/Country
7 Singer-songwriter
4 Hip-hop
4 Dance/Electronic
3 Grunge
2 Jazz
1 Post-rock

Female albums in top 100 (min 5, max 8):
Hounds of Love (#96), Blue, Homogenic, Post, Horses
[Sort of] Parallel Lines (#99), Dummy, Rumours

Predictions for 2010s (it's awesome that we jumped from 1 to 6 albums in the highest bracket):
6. GKMC (congrats for a surprise top 100 entry!!!)
5. The Suburbs
4. Channel Orange
3. To Pimp a Butterfly
2. Blackstar
1. MBDTF

Yes, contrary to my previous prediction, I think Blackstar will beat TPAB.

Edit: Hmm, maybe I should have put grunge with rock, but... oh well I'll leave it. I leave it as sort of a stand-in for punk/metal, which I usually have as a separate genre.
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

I know our poll is a small sample size, but given the relatively young age of our voters, I wonder if the poor showing for Never Mind the Bollocks portends a drop for that album and other punk albums in the critics' eyes in decades to come. I know it didn't appear on the Entertainment Weekly list a few years ago, but otherwise I haven't followed the trends much.

Also, I'm surprised Blackstar made the top 100.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Stupendous placing for good kid, m.A.A.d. city! Monumental, that it is our choice of third greatest hip-hop album, over the likes of Nation of Millions and 36 Chambers.
Though I love its ranking, it irks me that it still only got 30 votes, the highest so far in the poll for a rap album. Still below half of the votes. I'm hoping at least one of Butterfly or Fantasy gets at least that benchmark 38 votes for a majority. For me personally, it would be a important sign that hip-hop is cemented as a widely respected art form, instead of just a "young people fad" or something.

Also it's too bad that my original guess of top 2 of 2010s was correct. :P

Finally, poor Rain Dogs fell quite a bit... one of the most vivid worlds portrayed in music ever, I would say.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Which of the following do we expect to drop in the next 5?

David Bowie - Hunky Dory (813, 66, 60) - tough call
David Bowie - Low (513, 100, 61) - good possibility
Jeff Buckley - Grace (290, 59, 75) - seems likely
Kanye West - MBDTF (NR, 73, 69) - likely higher
Pearl Jam - Ten (my all-time rating=574, AM Top 3000 rating=147, 2014 poll rating=94, 2017 poll rating=55) - the only one on this list to drop in the next 5
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (148, 207, 59) - seems likely
Radiohead - In Rainbows (625, 89, 73) - could be a bit higher
Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Waters (21, 122, 63) - tough call
Stevie Wonder - Songs In the Key Of Live (64, 46, 55) - tough call
The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle (205, 338, 68) - seems likely
Last edited by Henry on Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Henry wrote:Which of the following do we expect to drop in the next 5?

Pearl Jam - Ten (my all-time rating=574, AM Top 3000 rating=147, 2014 poll rating=94) - seems likely
I'll guess...

Grace
Ten
Wish You Were Here
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Odessey and Oracle

Radiohead have been doing really, really well thus far with 7 albums in the top 200. That leads me to believe In Rainbows will place in the top 50. 2010s albums have seen a huge boost this time around too, leading me to believe MBDTF will also place there.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Henry wrote:Which of the following do we expect to drop in the next 5?

Pearl Jam - Ten (my all-time rating=574, AM Top 3000 rating=147, 2014 poll rating=94) - seems likely
Not quite your 10 here, but I'll go with Odessey and Oracle, Hunky Dory, Ten, Grace, and Forever Changes
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

There will be nine albums in the top 50 that were in the #55-75 range in 2014:

Songs in the Key of Life (#55)
Wish You Were Here (#59)
Hunky Dory (#60)
Low (#61)
Bridge Over Troubled Water (#63)
Odessey & Oracle (#68)
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (#69)
In Rainbows (#73)
Grace (#75)
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

How do you all think the "big four" Rolling Stones albums will end up?
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Which of these will drop in the next 5:

David Bowie - Hunky Dory (813, 66, 60) - expected to drop by 40, but not so fast
David Bowie - Low (513, 100, 61, 48)
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (202, 55, 32) - I thought this could drop by 40, but some classic rock faves are doing reasonably well this year
Jeff Buckley - Grace (290, 59, 75, 47)
Kanye West - MBDTF (NR, 73, 69) - thought that this could drop by 40 - WRONG!
Love - Forever Changes (708, 50, 42) - this AM favorite marches upwards
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (148, 207, 59, 49)
Portishead - Dummy (1030, 65, 45) - I thought there was a good chance, but no dice
Radiohead - In Rainbows (625, 89, 73) - Radiohead is kicking butt
Radiohead - The Bends (606, 88, 44) - probably higher given Radiohead's performance in this year's poll so far
The Beatles - Rubber Soul (175, 29, 36) - not too likely
The Doors - The Doors (265, 27, 40, 42) - I thought there was a decent chance that this would drop by 40 and it did
The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed (860, 36, 34) - not likely in my estimation
The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet (195, 33, 30, 45) - I thought it was less likely drop than Let It Bleed. Wrong again.
The Strokes - Is This It (864, 40, 37) - possible, but not yet
Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Waters (21, 122, 63, 46)
Stevie Wonder - Songs In the Key Of Live (64, 46, 55) - at least it improved its placement from the last poll
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions (22, 47, 41) - could happen
U2 - Joshua Tree (111, 39, 31) - probably not yet
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks (520, 15, 48, 44) - good chance to drop in my estimation and it did
The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle (205, 338, 68, 50)
Last edited by Henry on Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Harold wrote:There will be nine albums in the top 50 that were in the #55-75 range in 2014:

Songs in the Key of Life (#55)
Wish You Were Here (#59)
Hunky Dory (#60)
Low (#61)
Bridge Over Troubled Water (#63)
Odessey & Oracle (#68)
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (#69)
In Rainbows (#73)
Grace (#75)
In the 2011 poll Odessey and Oracle was 23! I'm better it splits the difference this time and ends up around 40.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

And now we enter the hallowed, sparsely populated halls of the albums most of us love. The first three to crack 38 votes are Wish You Were Here, Low and Bridge Over Troubled Water.

I am surprised that Hunky Dory is beating Low, and that Forever Changes is doing so well, even given its previous position.

Here are the top 10 albums from my June submission that missed the top 1000:
2 | Joe Hisaishi | Princess Mononoke
8 | Kendrick Lamar | Section.80
11 | John Mayer | Continuum
21 | Various Artists | Grease
26 | Andrew Lloyd Webber | Phantom of the Opera
28 | Rodgers & Hammerstein | The Sound of Music
30 | Joe Hisaishi | My Neighbor Totoro
33 | Kero Kero Bonito | Bonito Generation
38 | Green Day | Nimrod
41 | Wham! | Make It Big
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

prosecutorgodot wrote:And now we enter the hallowed, sparsely populated halls of the albums most of us love. The first three to crack 38 votes are Wish You Were Here, Low and Bridge Over Troubled Water.

I am surprised that Hunky Dory is beating Low, and that Forever Changes is doing so well, even given its previous position.

Here are the top 10 albums from my June submission that missed the top 1000:
2 | Joe Hisaishi | Princess Mononoke
8 | Kendrick Lamar | Section.80
11 | John Mayer | Continuum
21 | Various Artists | Grease
26 | Andrew Lloyd Webber | Phantom of the Opera
28 | Rodgers & Hammerstein | The Sound of Music
30 | Joe Hisaishi | My Neighbor Totoro
33 | Kero Kero Bonito | Bonito Generation
38 | Green Day | Nimrod
41 | Wham! | Make It Big
Phantom, nice! I noticed you voted for Wish You Were Here too, so it looks like our tastes have a small amount of overlap.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

My List of Favorite Albums that made the top 1000 last time, but not this time:

Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority (my all time ranking=6, AM Rating=1431, 2014 Poll Rank=959)
Blind Faith - Blind Faith (52, 965, 964) - no surprise here - my surmise is that this album will decline in the next AM update
Genesis - Foxtrot (461, 1122, 653) - realignment towards the AM ranking norm as far as I can tell, the 2014 poll result may have been anomaly.
Jethro Tull - Thick As a Brick (108, 1374, 945)
New Radicals - Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too (154, NR, 754) - my rating is likely to be adjusted lower for this album
Madonna - True Blue (189, 1398, 722) - I'd appreciate any comments by Moonbeam on this album
Cat Stevens - Teaser and the Firecat (217, 1741, 581) - the large deviation in the last poll from the AM ranking has been corrected apparently
The Police - Ghost in the Machine (281, 972, 633) - another large deviation moving back closer to the AM Rank norm
The Rolling Stones - Between the Buttons (285, 692, 750) - I'm a bit surprised that this dropped our of the top 1000
Deep Purple - Made In Japan (443, 484, 900) - my surmise is that Deep Purple is not generally favored by folks under the age of say 50.
Last edited by Henry on Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Henry wrote: The Who - The Who Sings My Generation (375, 279, 471) - a gigantic drop. I'd appreciate explanations from others. My guess is that the emerging consensus is that this album has been overrated and that we'll see a downward correction in the next update.
Ranked at #577

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”