AMF Favorite Albums of All-Time -- Prediction Thread

Nassim
Full of Fire

Re: AMF Favorite Albums of All-Time -- Prediction Thread

Post by Nassim »

veganvalentine wrote: I started listening to Relationship of Command recently and couldn't get into it, but I'll probably give it another chance one of these days. As for De-Loused, Cicatriz ESP is one of my least favorite songs on the album, so I agree with you there, although I think a lot of experimental, conceptual, and/or long-form music is unfairly labeled "pretentious." Anyways, it's the first half of the album that I really love, in particular Son et lumiere/Inertiatic ESP, Roulette Dares (The Haunt Of), and especially Eriatarka.

Most of The Mars Volta's albums are uneven, but their first two albums, De-Loused in the Comatorium and Frances the Mute, are great, even if they occasionally go off the rails.
Roulette Dares is for me the one song that expands from Relationship of Command to make something new and exciting. Cicatriz first 4 minutes fill the bill too.
Eriatarka sounds more like someone trying to do Dream Theater, which is really not my thing.

I'd guess you'd enjoy more the last 4 tracks of Relationship of Command (though it has a killer opening track), starting with Quarantined which is their best imo.
The first few tracks are like an adrenaline rush, distributing punches to everything in sight. The end feels a bit deeper and personal.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

DaveC wrote:I would add Ultraviolence to your list Nick.
Great call, DaveC!
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

So Skeleton Tree is probably going to be the forum's favorite Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds album. Any thoughts?

I thought it was worth discussion since the album is only a year old, yet Cave's discography spans nearly four decades.
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

This is slightly off topic, but I figure this is a good place to share this anecdote. For the first in years, my immediate family and I vacationed together, and I mentioned that I had recently submitted a favorite albums list on AMF. Being a huge fan of music and lists (honestly, he should be on AMF), my dad was intrigued, and eventually we all shared our top 20 albums and had a great time discussing them.

So keep up the good work Henrik and everyone else. You're helping people discover great music and kindling some impassioned discussions.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

veganvalentine wrote:This is slightly off topic, but I figure this is a good place to share this anecdote. For the first in years, my immediate family and I vacationed together, and I mentioned that I had recently submitted a favorite albums list on AMF. Being a huge fan of music and lists (honestly, he should be on AMF), my dad was intrigued, and eventually we all shared our top 20 albums and had a great time discussing them.

So keep up the good work Henrik and everyone else. You're helping people discover great music and kindling some impassioned discussions.
That's so nice!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

prosecutorgodot wrote:So Skeleton Tree is probably going to be the forum's favorite Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds album. Any thoughts?

I thought it was worth discussion since the album is only a year old, yet Cave's discography spans nearly four decades.
I'm only a casual Nick Cave fan, but of the 4 albums of his that I've heard, Skeleton Tree is my favorite.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

prosecutorgodot wrote:So Skeleton Tree is probably going to be the forum's favorite Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds album. Any thoughts?

Nick Cave is an artist with many classic albums, but no consensus favorite. I wouldn't be surprised if Skeleton Tree ranks highest, but I suspect Tender Prey is still to come and it could top it. I guess Dig!!! Lazarus, Dig!!!, Henry's Dream, Let Love In and the first four albums are out, but if one of them shows up still it wouldn't be a shock either. That man has been consistent for an extraordinary long time.
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Live in Phoenix wrote:Unpopular enough to be 7th-worst last time, but some others quietly beat Layla.

91. John Lennon - Imagine (#205)
92. Carole King - Tapestry (#209)
93. Primal Scream - Screamadelica (#232)
94. Derek and the Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (#233)
95. Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power (#238)
96. The Band - Music from Big Pink (#249)
97. James Brown - Live at the Apollo (#261)
98. Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica (#262)
99. Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (#264)
100. AC/DC - Back in Black (#385)
Screamadelica, ladies and gentlemen. Considering how #93-99 were packed fairly close together last time, I didn't think anything here would place lower than AC/DC ever.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

Screamadelica... :(
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Live in Phoenix wrote:
Live in Phoenix wrote:Unpopular enough to be 7th-worst last time, but some others quietly beat Layla.

Screamadelica, ladies and gentlemen. Considering how #93-99 were packed fairly close together last time, I didn't think anything here would place lower than AC/DC ever.
That's defintely surprising, based on its 2014 rank, but I'll admit I'm not really shocked that it wasn't AC/DC at the bottom. I think of all the albums on that list, Back in Black and Imagine probably will benefit the most from new voters the forum has accumulated since the last time this poll was ran.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Rob wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Skeleton Tree ranks highest, but I suspect Tender Prey is still to come and it could top it.
Tender Prey didn't make the top 1000 in 2014, and it's highly unlikely that it will be in the top 350 this time.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote:
Rob wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Skeleton Tree ranks highest, but I suspect Tender Prey is still to come and it could top it.
Tender Prey didn't make the top 1000 in 2014, and it's highly unlikely that it will be in the top 350 this time.
Has The Boatman's Call already shown up?
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Harold wrote:
Yes, at the you-can't-make-this-up rank of #666!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote:
StevieFan13 wrote:
Harold wrote:
Yes, at the you-can't-make-this-up rank of #666!
For his lighter album! Who'da thunk?
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

First album to reach 20 votes is... Return to Cookie Mountain!
Chris K.
Let's Get It On

Post by Chris K. »

prosecutorgodot wrote:First album to reach 20 votes is... Return to Cookie Mountain!
I'm saddened by it's steep drop from the last poll. Over the years it's grown in my estimation, but it seems like it's slipping in these polls (and possibly even on critics' lists).
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Chris K. wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:First album to reach 20 votes is... Return to Cookie Mountain!
I'm saddened by it's steep drop from the last poll. Over the years it's grown in my estimation, but it seems like it's slipping in these polls (and possibly even on critics' lists).
Yes it seems to fall on critics lists too. Not as steeply as say, The Darkness's permission to Land or even Badly Drawn Boy's The Hour of Bewilderbeast who started too high too soon, but still quite significatively.
It got a little boost when between the 2013 and 2014 update for some reason, but all the other updates have seen it fall (and our 2006 poll of last month showed the same trend). Far is the time it was ranked 131st of all time. I don't think it will fall much lower though, the decrease has slowed down after the release of the end of decade list and it sits firmly just below the 300th position ; it doesn't rank as high as it used to in lists, but it still is almost always included in 2000s lists in decent position.
I'm not 100% sure of the reason, I guess because of the sheer brilliance of its first half, critics used to overlook the not quite as good second half ; or that it fades a bit against more iconic (Back to Black and Whatever People Say I Am, to stick with 2006 albums that used to rank lower) or albums that were more of a grower (Silent Shout), or because it is, a our poll seem to show, because it is an album that a lot people really like, but not many really would put at the very top of their list (and that comes from the person who ranked it the 2nd highest among us).
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Harold wrote:
I see, that surprises me somewhat, actually.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Nassim wrote:
Chris K. wrote:
Yes it seems to fall on critics lists too. Not as steeply as say, The Darkness's permission to Land or even Badly Drawn Boy's The Hour of Bewilderbeast who started too high too soon, but still quite significatively.
It got a little boost when between the 2013 and 2014 update for some reason, but all the other updates have seen it fall (and our 2006 poll of last month showed the same trend). Far is the time it was ranked 131st of all time. I don't think it will fall much lower though, the decrease has slowed down after the release of the end of decade list and it sits firmly just below the 300th position ; it doesn't rank as high as it used to in lists, but it still is almost always included in 2000s lists in decent position.
I'm not 100% sure of the reason, I guess because of the sheer brilliance of its first half, critics used to overlook the not quite as good second half ; or that it fades a bit against more iconic (Back to Black and Whatever People Say I Am, to stick with 2006 albums that used to rank lower) or albums that were more of a grower (Silent Shout), or because it is, a our poll seem to show, because it is an album that a lot people really like, but not many really would put at the very top of their list (and that comes from the person who ranked it the 2nd highest among us).
I love both albums, but Dear Science is more consistent and while it doesn't have Wolf Like Me, Halfway Home and DLZ are two of the band's best songs. If RTCM's drop is to Dear Science's benefit, that's fine with me.
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

BleuPanda wrote:Screamadelica... :(
Good album, and I would've voted for it if I had expanded my list beyond 200 albums. That said, I've never actually met a Primal Scream fan. Anecdotal, I know, but I am a little surprised that album is in the AM top 100. (I figure its influence on dance music helps though.)
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

veganvalentine wrote:
Good album, and I would've voted for it if I had expanded my list beyond 200 albums. That said, I've never actually met a Primal Scream fan. Anecdotal, I know, but I am a little surprised that album is in the AM top 100. (I figure its influence on dance music helps though.)
It's actually not included in a lot US lists, it's one of those albums like, say, Parklife or The Stone Roses for similar cases, or anything by Billy Joel or Tom Petty for the opposite one, that would probably show very different rankings between a European only AM list and a US only AM list. Most of the very high showings of the album are on British, French or German lists (and funnily enough one in Hong-Kong, though I guess the British influence here during the 90s must have been pretty high.)
So your best chance at meeting a big Screamadelica fan would probably be meeting English people in their mid to late 40s !
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

veganvalentine wrote:
I like Screamadelica. But I believe it's a bit of an acquired taste, except if you like dub or other dub-influenced styles like 1990s ambient music in the first place. I listen to it a lot less today than I used to, but each time I go back to it, I'm still impressed by how rich the sound can be in its best moments. It's an album for which you'll probably admire the producer more than the band. They should sell it as "That album that exemplifies the Andrew Weatherall sound. Oh, yes, and it features Primal Scream too".
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

91. John Lennon - Imagine (#205) - 405th favorite of Henry's
92. Carole King - Tapestry (#209) - 62nd favorite of Henry's
94. Derek and the Dominos - Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs (#233) - 73rd favorite of Henry's
99. Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (#264) - 696th favorite of Henry's
93. Primal Scream - Screamadelica (#232) and
have already dropped. Which album is next?

My prediction is that the next to drop could be:
then: 100. AC/DC - Back in Black (#385).

My least favorite of the remaining albums is: 98. Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica (#262).

I'm also not particularly fond of: 95. Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power (#238)

As for the others, I've placed my all-time ranking after each of them in the list above.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

So far, I strongly feel like Hip-hop is getting a boost this time, and I think the final list in comparison with last time will reflect this.
veganvalentine
Wannabe

Post by veganvalentine »

Nassim wrote:
veganvalentine wrote:
It's actually not included in a lot US lists, it's one of those albums like, say, Parklife or The Stone Roses for similar cases, or anything by Billy Joel or Tom Petty for the opposite one, that would probably show very different rankings between a European only AM list and a US only AM list. Most of the very high showings of the album are on British, French or German lists (and funnily enough one in Hong-Kong, though I guess the British influence here during the 90s must have been pretty high.)
So your best chance at meeting a big Screamadelica fan would probably be meeting English people in their mid to late 40s !
Well I live in the US and am 31, so I guess that explains it! Billy Joel doesn't surprise me because he can be saccharine and show tuney (still like him though), but Petty's non-American critical reputation surprises me because the critics usually adore straightforward jangle rock (like The Strokes' Last Night, which owes a considerable debt to American Girl), and he's also written an incredible numbers of catchy songs.

Also, I'd guess Fun House will be the next member of the AM Top 100 (2016) to drop out.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

So, it's now down to the top 300 ... and there are 291 albums from the 2014 poll top 500 that have yet to appear in the new top 1000.

There are only three albums from that list that I can think of that might have dropped all the way off the top 1000: Bob Marley's Live! (#494 in 2014), Santana's Abraxas (#419), and Johnny Cash's American Recordings (#391). Six other albums that finished in the #400-500 range in 2014 haven't shown up yet, but I think they all will based on patterns we've seen:

Madvillain - Madvillainy (#415)
Tame Impala - Lonerism (#427)
Coldplay - Parachutes (#432)
Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver (#438)
Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full (#467)
Milton Nascimento & Lo Borges - Clube da Esquina (#476)

Can't wait for the rest of the poll to be unveiled!
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Harold wrote:So, it's now down to the top 300 ... and there are 291 albums from the 2014 poll top 500 that have yet to appear in the new top 1000.

There are only three albums from that list that I can think of that might have dropped all the way off the top 1000: Bob Marley's Live! (#494 in 2014), Santana's Abraxas (#419), and Johnny Cash's American Recordings (#391). Six other albums that finished in the #400-500 range in 2014 haven't shown up yet, but I think they all will based on patterns we've seen:

Madvillain - Madvillainy (#415)
Tame Impala - Lonerism (#427)
Coldplay - Parachutes (#432)
Bon Iver - Bon Iver, Bon Iver (#438)
Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full (#467)
Milton Nascimento & Lo Borges - Clube da Esquina (#476)

Can't wait for the rest of the poll to be unveiled!
Looking at the success of all the "classic rock" albums so far (Machine Head being the most recent example in the poll), I imagine Abraxas will still make an appearance.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

And here are the 2014-2016 albums that will most likely be in the top 300, amended from the list I previously posted (minus what's appeared already and what apparently now has no shot):

2014:
D'Angelo and The Vanguard - Black Messiah
The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

2015:
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell

2016:
Beyonce - Lemonade
David Bowie - Blackstar
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I can't imagine Art Angels missing the top 1000, unless I missed it already placing. It was a big deal in 2015, and is the perfect mix of electronic and pop that this forum actually appreciates consistently; probably the best successor to Discovery we have in that regard.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

BleuPanda wrote:I can't imagine Art Angels missing the top 1000, unless I missed it already placing. It was a big deal in 2015, and is the perfect mix of electronic and pop that this forum actually appreciates consistently; probably the best successor to Discovery we have in that regard.
Sorry - I thought it had appeared already, but that was Visions. Yes, I'd also be surprised if it failed to make the top 1000.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Wow, am I completely wrong about Drake's dominance? I did not think "Nothing Was the Same" would be his top album, but "Take Care" does not seem likely at this point.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

prosecutorgodot wrote:Wow, am I completely wrong about Drake's dominance? I did not think "Nothing Was the Same" would be his top album, but "Take Care" does not seem likely at this point.
I'm pretty surprised by this too. I would've thought for sure "Take Care" would make the top 1000, especially after "Nothing Was the Same" and...ugh..."Views" made it.

It also looks like the chances of Beyonce's self-titled appearing are just about nil, which is also shocking, seeing as "Lemonade" has a guaranteed top 300 spot.

Anyway, here are the revised 2010s albums still left to appear...

2010:

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
This Is Happening
The Suburbs
Teen Dream
The ArchAndroid
High Violet

2011:

Let England Shake
Bon Iver, Bon Iver

2012:

Channel Orange
Good Kid, M.A.A.D City
Lonerism

2013:

Modern Vampires of the City
Random Access Memories
Yeezus
Reflektor

2014:

Lost in the Dream
Black Messiah

2015:

To Pimp a Butterfly
Carrie & Lowell
Art Angels

2016:

Blackstar
Lemonade
A Moon Shaped Pool
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Nick wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:Wow, am I completely wrong about Drake's dominance? I did not think "Nothing Was the Same" would be his top album, but "Take Care" does not seem likely at this point.
I'm pretty surprised by this too. I would've thought for sure "Take Care" would make the top 1000, especially after "Nothing Was the Same" and...ugh..."Views" made it.

It also looks like the chances of Beyonce's self-titled appearing are just about nil, which is also shocking, seeing as "Lemonade" has a guaranteed top 300 spot.

Anyway, here are the revised 2010s albums still left to appear...

2010:

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
This Is Happening
The Suburbs
Teen Dream
The ArchAndroid
High Violet

2011:

Let England Shake
Bon Iver, Bon Iver

2012:

Channel Orange
Good Kid, M.A.A.D City
Lonerism

2013:

Modern Vampires of the City
Random Access Memories
Yeezus
Reflektor

2014:

Lost in the Dream
Black Messiah

2015:

To Pimp a Butterfly
Carrie & Lowell
Art Angels

2016:

Blackstar
Lemonade
A Moon Shaped Pool
Yes, I think we have the same predictions!

To everyone, once you're familiar with the previous albums poll, I think the remaining 300 are pretty clear. We just don't know the order.

Here's to hoping one of Green Day's albums makes the top 200.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

Jackson wrote:
Harold wrote:
Jackson wrote:Just wait until you see how badly Untrue, one of the greatest and most famous electronic albums this century, does in the all time and 2007 polls...I'm hoping that's not the case, but it's never done well in forum polls before.
You mean like how it finished all the way down at #217 on the 2014 poll?
Hmm, maybe I'm thinking of a different past poll. 217 is definitely satisfactory. I also might be thinking of Archangel underperforming in the songs polls.
Hey, I was kind of right -- Untrue fell to 302.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

We've now lost a third from our top 100, with Raw Power joining James Brown and Primal Scream. I'm a little sad about this one.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Thought: Ziggy Stardust could be #2 behind OK Computer.

Edit: Dang, I just realized that Funeral or London Calling taking #2 is way more likely. Lol
Last edited by prosecutorgodot on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Still waiting on The Stranger. Gotta say, I'm delighted to see it could rank high.
panam
Full of Fire

Post by panam »

Next year is votation of alltime songs of artists?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

panam wrote:Next year is votation of alltime songs of artists?
Songs, I believe.
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I was never expecting to catch up on listening to everything before the results were fully released.

I had concerns about going too fast back when I did the song poll. How do other people feel about the issue? A slow reveal allows us to discuss where we think things will land, so I guess it depends on how much weight you put into predicting things, and there's also value in being able to take in everything; a rush of info can usually leave us looking to see where our favorites placed instead of checking out works we might not be familiar with. JimmyJazz and I got through our topics in about 8 days, DocBrown in 5. Was that too quick? Meanwhile, these album results are at 23 days already with quite a bit more to go. I'm assuming notbrianeno has been busy (and he's also been using full details throughout, which requires more effort).

I guess I want to know in case I host another poll, what's the ideal rate to reveal the list?
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

BleuPanda wrote:I guess I want to know in case I host another poll, what's the ideal rate to reveal the list?
All Time Songs poll?
Minimum 250, maximum 1000 songs ... please! :mrgreen:
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Bruno wrote:
BleuPanda wrote:I guess I want to know in case I host another poll, what's the ideal rate to reveal the list?
All Time Songs poll?
BleuPanda did the last songs poll, not to mention plenty of tournaments since then, so I don't want to put the pressure on him right now. I'd be willing to take the reins for the next song poll, though I might call for help sooner than later.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

BleuPanda wrote:I was never expecting to catch up on listening to everything before the results were fully released.

I had concerns about going too fast back when I did the song poll. How do other people feel about the issue? A slow reveal allows us to discuss where we think things will land, so I guess it depends on how much weight you put into predicting things, and there's also value in being able to take in everything; a rush of info can usually leave us looking to see where our favorites placed instead of checking out works we might not be familiar with. JimmyJazz and I got through our topics in about 8 days, DocBrown in 5. Was that too quick? Meanwhile, these album results are at 23 days already with quite a bit more to go. I'm assuming notbrianeno has been busy (and he's also been using full details throughout, which requires more effort).

I guess I want to know in case I host another poll, what's the ideal rate to reveal the list?
My feeling, based on personal experience in hosting and personal preference as a spectator, is that a week up to 10 days is probably the best. You want to build the suspense and have a feeling of the list unfolding, but you also want there to be a decent amount each day to dive into.
Having said that, you really need to have a lot of spare time on your hands to be able to do such a thing. So I can completely understand why it takes longer for notbrianeno.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Faster than this one.

Again, sorry - I don't mean to be snarky, and like everyone else I am certain that notbrianeno has been busy with, you know, actual life (plus, anyone who commits to doing one of these is doing the rest of us an enormous favor, no matter how long it takes). But considering that our polls were due (originally) on July 1, I doubt that anyone thought we'd still have 280 albums left to reveal on September 26.

Of course, at this point we should pretty much have a handle on what most of those 280 albums are, at least, so I don't want to gripe too much. But I'm surprised it's taking this long.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

BleuPanda wrote:I was never expecting to catch up on listening to everything before the results were fully released.

Great question. I think 30 days is good. I like reading all the reviews, and I would prefer slower high quality than fast low quality rollout. Though I love that he's putting great effort, at notbrianeno's pace, it will take 40-50 days, which is too long. But I think 10 days is too fast. Maybe I would go as low as 20 days, but any faster and people will only look at their favorites, as you said.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

We only have 3 albums with >=20 votes (out of 74) so far. Based on patterns from the previous poll, we should have started getting albums with 25 votes by now. We're probably not going to get to albums with a majority of votes until well into the top 100. It also confirms the statistics theory that more people = more variation.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Seeing how every other Velvet Underground and Lou Reed album has fared thus far, I'll be very surprised to see it repeat as the forum's favorite album. I could see it falling to 4 or 5, with the likes of OK Computer, Ziggy Stardust, Pet Sounds and Revolver all capable of rounding out our top 5.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Listyguy wrote:Seeing how every other Velvet Underground and Lou Reed album has fared thus far, I'll be very surprised to see it repeat as the forum's favorite album. I could see it falling to 4 or 5, with the likes of OK Computer, Ziggy Stardust, Pet Sounds and Revolver all capable of rounding out our top 5.
That would please me. But, I have a feeling VU will still be in our top two. Do you see Ziggy, Pet Sounds or Revolver challenging for the top spot?
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

Sweepstakes Ron wrote:
Bruno wrote:
All Time Songs poll?
BleuPanda did the last songs poll, not to mention plenty of tournaments since then, so I don't want to put the pressure on him right now. I'd be willing to take the reins for the next song poll, though I might call for help sooner than later.
We can co-host together. I was interested in doing the songs poll.

Warning to all: I'd be plugging in data immediately.
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

Let's see how many of these notable efforts drop before we get to 150:

Arcade Fire - Reflektor (385, 354, 281, 231) - nice move up

Arcade FIre - The Suburbs (250, 214, 123)

Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister (394, 209, 137)

Billy Joel - The Stranger (36, 622, 334, 209) - well deserved move up

Carole King - Tapestry (62, 71, 209)

Cat Stevens - Teaser and the Firecat (217, 1741, 581) - likely missed the top 1000 this poll

Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head (151, 288, 179) - did not drop before 150

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Cosmo's Factory (465, 193, 125, 173)

Curtis Mayfield - Superfly (435, 173, 146)

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (440, 261, 153)

Derek and the Dominos - Layla and other assorted love songs (73, 81, 233, 178) deserved move up :music-rockon:

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (170, 144, 157) - not easy to predict whether this will drop before 150, but probably before 120

Green Day - American Idiot (267, 451, 294, 186) - As suspected this dropped before 150

Green Day - Dookie (309, 347, 384, 157) - Wow!!! That is a big move up.

Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid (337, 368, 134)

Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love (232, 168, 297, 181) - nice move up.

King Crimson - Red (684, 680, 330, 250) - nice move up from the 2014 poll

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (473, 141, 110)

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin (159, 116, 226) - did not drop before 150

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II (448, 74, 161) - expected to drop before 120

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy (113, 568, 236, 228)- essentially the same rank as in 2014

Madonna - True Blue (189, 1398, 722) - likely missed the top 1000.

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew (696, 92, 264, 198) - as expected dropped before 150

Neil Young - Harvest (284, 93, 124)

Paul McCartney / Wings - Band on the Run (143, 477, 234, 239) - essentially the same rank as in 2014

Pink Floyd - The Wall (452, 155, 121)

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake (321, 166, 136)

Queen - Night at the Opera (158, 153, 207) - this should drop before 110

Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story (188, 169, 296) - surprisingly this did not drop before 150

Rolling Stones - Some Girls (643, 441, 469) - could this miss the top 1000?

Santana - Abraxas (80, 237, 419, 208) - Fantastic move up. As expected dropped before 200

Simon and Garfunkel - Bookends (61, 388, 274, 205) - as expected dropped before 200

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (182, 273, 219, 171) - as predicted dropped before 150

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (257, 140, 111)

Soundgarden - Superunknown (565, 281, 279, 227) - nice move up

Steely Dan - Aja (12, 329, 252, 245) - as expected dropped before 200

Stevie Wonder - Talking Book (13, 129, 166, 172) - any lowering of the poll rating of this album is a big disappointment

The Band - The Band (102, 52, 163)

The Beatles - Help! (185, 706, 202) expected to drop before 150

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night (146, 223, 214) - expected to drop before 150, but did not

The Beatles - Let It Be (89, 612, 174, 201) - this drop was not a surprise

The Eagles - Hotel California (76, 128, 285, 225) - the move up could be the result of new voters - good for them :greetings-waveyellow:

The Police - Ghosts in the Machine (281, 972, 633) - likely missed the top 1000.

The Who - Tommy (59, 121, 178, 224) - substantially lower than in 2014

The Who - The Who Sings My Generation (375, 279, 471) - could this miss the top 1000?

Tom Petty - Damn the Torpedoes (134, 638, 670) - likely missed the top 1000.
Last edited by Henry on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”