R.I.P. Walter Becker

Nick
Running Up That Hill

R.I.P. Walter Becker

Post by Nick »

Walter Becker, one half of the legendary jazz-rock group Steely Dan has died.

http://www.walterbecker.com/
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: R.I.P. Walter Becker

Post by StevieFan13 »

That's a shame. I like what I've heard by Steely Dan, although my dad's a much bigger fan than I am.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Henry
Into the Groove

Post by Henry »

The icons of the 1960's and 1970's are passing with great frequency. I wonder if Georgie can offer a few inspirational words for those of us who were avid fans of Steely Dan.

I wonder if Donald Fagen will continue to grace us with more of his compositions or find another partner for these efforts.
bonnielaurel
Keep On Movin'

Post by bonnielaurel »

Time for a Steely Dan poll, including the solo work?
De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.
andyd1010
Keep On Movin'

Post by andyd1010 »

Wow, I just saw them perform 3 months ago. RIP. I would participate in a poll.
Fred
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Fred »

Oh, no
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

I just started getting into the band, and hoped I would eventually see a reunion show. C'est la vie. Best wishes to fans friends and family.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Just listened to Pretzel Logic for the umpteenth time (it's in my top 20 for the all-time albums poll) - a perfect album, not much more to say. "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" is one of the all-time greatest openers, "Barrytown" is as relevant as ever in this Trumpian era, "Charlie Freak" may be the saddest song ever written (even as it's an utterly exhilarating piece of songcraft and production), and I've always been partial to this lyric from "Night by Night": "I'm cashing in this ten-cent life for another one." The narrator may be deluding himself into thinking he means that he's trading in his crappy life for a better one, but deep down he knows what he really means: he's trading in this particular crappy life for a different but equally crappy one. Doesn't get more quintessentially Becker/Fagen than that.

R.I.P.. Mr. Becker. Any world that you're welcome to is better than the one that you came from.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Sad news again, another outstanding musician left us. Henry has suggested me that I could include on the Rank the Tracks game an album by Steely Dan, exactly the album ranked higher on our ongoing album poll hosted by notbrianeno (so far we have two albums, "The Royal Scam" at #934 and "Gaucho" at #907). I don't have any problem with that but I think I should stick with the rules I mentioned some months ago, I need more than three forum participants stating they are going to participate. So, if any of you want to rank the tracks of our favourite Steely Dan album please say it here on in this other thread. By the way, three AMers wanted to rank "The College Dropout" and "The Low End Theory." If there is a fourth one who wanted to rank any of these two albums I would also include it in the tournament.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Honorio wrote:Sad news again, another outstanding musician left us. Henry has suggested me that I could include on the Rank the Tracks game an album by Steely Dan, exactly the album ranked higher on our ongoing album poll hosted by notbrianeno (so far we have two albums, "The Royal Scam" at #934 and "Gaucho" at #907). I don't have any problem with that but I think I should stick with the rules I mentioned some months ago, I need more than three forum participants stating they are going to participate. So, if any of you want to rank the tracks of our favourite Steely Dan album please say it here on in this other thread. By the way, three AMers wanted to rank "The College Dropout" and "The Low End Theory." If there is a fourth one who wanted to rank any of these two albums I would also include it in the tournament.
I would love to rank Aja and the other two mentioned albums.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”