Recomendations for 2006 poll

Toni
Different Class

Recomendations for 2006 poll

Post by Toni »

This had been a usual topic in our decade polls years ago. The point is that everybody have already heard the most hyped albums from each year (Return to Cookie Mountain, Silent Shout, Back to Black, etc), and, to avoid these kind of biases on the final list, it would be interesting if we recomended here the overlooked albums that we consider as good as those. I would surely be willing to listen to the albums other people post here and, maybe, they could get a high position in my list! In fact, I've already made a great discover: "Miossec - L'étreinte", from Michel's list.

My recomendation for the 2006 poll is a hip hop album "Czarno widze", from Polish group "Afro Kolektyw". Besides of the good raping, they usually make great arrangements, with some jazzistic features.
EmilienDelRey
Unquestionable Presence

Re: Recomendations for 2006 poll

Post by EmilienDelRey »

Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Here is one of my picks. A great track from a modern classic kiwi album. When they broke up one member of the band went on to form Unknown Mortal Orchestra.
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

My favorite non ranked song from a non ranked album would from Spank Rock's YoYoYoYoYo but I doubt I can get much people on board for that, so I'll pick a bubbling song from a ranked album.

The Thermals - A Pillar of Salt
One of my favorite songs to sing to of the decade, very catchy and fun. Also there's an Arrested Development nod in the video so...

Also, I'm From Barcelona has fallen out of fashion but seriously, don't we need more happy, cheerful, childish singalong tunes these days ?
For those who don't know them, I'm From Barcelona, hailing from Sweden obviously, is a 28 members band that mostly sings (at least on their first album) about friends and love. Is it cheesy ? Hell yeah, but also very sincere.
"Let Me Introduce My Friends" is packed with lovely uplifting songs, but none can top Treehouse :
Also, I'm pretty sure the lead singer is actually Bill Hader with a wig and a fake mustache.

In 2007 (I think), Nike published their 2nd best ever soccer ad (and that is saying a lot, they tend to all be pretty fantastic). The song they used is Eagles of Death Metal's best song : Don't Speak (I Came to make a BANG)
Last but not least, the only successful 60s girl band revival, the Pipettes and my dear Rosey (now Rose Elinor Dougall), probably my biggest crush back then. Not everything in the album but We Are the Pipettes and Pull Shapes are still gold.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Nassim wrote:In 2007 (I think), Nike published their 2nd best ever soccer ad
Sorry for getting off-topic, but which one would you consider the best? :D
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Krurze wrote:
Nassim wrote:In 2007 (I think), Nike published their 2nd best ever soccer ad
Sorry for getting off-topic, but which one would you consider the best? :D
I think my favorite is still "The Cage"
Good vs Evil with Cantona lifting his collar and saying "Au revoir" is iconic as hell (pun intended)
But in all fairness, I think "Write the Future" is the best one they ever pulled.
Krurze
Movin' On Up

Post by Krurze »

Ok, I kind of expected the Cage :P

I was a huge fan of it, too when it came out (I was eleven, I think), but today I probably prefer the "Take it to the next Level" one. I am also a big fan of the parody/hommage the British F.A. did of that one:
But that's enough off-topic now, I guess :D

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”