Any interest of a music quiz league?

Henrik
Site Admin

Any interest of a music quiz league?

Post by Henrik »

There's a great Swedish quiz site on the web (http://vetgirig.expressen.se), including a big league with almost 20,000 players and the possibility to create your own leagues as well, which could be limited to a certain subject. "Vetgirig" has over 200,000 questions, created over time by members.

Vetgirig has a sister site in English (http://www.quiz4fun.com/) that has never become big (18,000 questions) but nevertheless I could set up a music league there for AMers. It could be fun! Let me know if you're interested.

Actually, a lot more than the 200,000 questions have been created but many of them have not been approved by the test jury. I once made an attempt to create a set of questions which didn't get approval because it had no images, no comments/curiosities about the right answers and no questions with a set of answers to choose from. Nevertheless, there's still a "secret" link to my questions (http://vetgirig.expressen.se/quiz-21889 ... st-70-tal/). You can give it a try if you want by clicking on "Snabbtest" and then "Starta!" (for the second question and so on, click on "Rätta" and "Nästa"). The question is always an album title and you are supposed to write down the artist/band name, so you can do this even if you don't understand Swedish. Good luck!!
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Re: Any interest of a music quiz league?

Post by Moonbeam »

Sure!
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Judas Priest, Steely Dan, Kraftwerk...the Henrik influence can be seen from afar...

The quiz sounds great!
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Zorg wrote:Judas Priest, Steely Dan, Kraftwerk...the Henrik influence can be seen from afar...
Indeed, he he. I just took my favorite albums and made a quiz.
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

Sure, sounds fun!
Barry
Strange Fruit

Post by Barry »

I'm looking forward to this too!
Otisredding
Keep On Movin'

Post by Otisredding »

This is my rating on the pop music of the 70: Utmärkt, du hade alla rätt!!!!

I acknowledge that I had to consult the artist Sad Wings Of Destiny...
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Well done, Otis! (even if you cheated...)

Here is a link to registrate for the new AM Forum league: http://www.quiz4fun.com/qleague.php?lid=635

However, I recommend that you first create a membership at http://www.quiz4fun.com/qreg.php and then sign up for the AM Forum quiz. If you don't sign up as a member you will not be able to use the chat function and from previous experience at Vetgirig it seems difficult to re-registrate with the same email address.

The first match will be on Monday. In the coming weekend I will adjust the size of the league(s) and the number of matches per week according to the number of participants. Of course it will also be possible to join the quiz after the game has started.

I am thinking that 4 questions in 60 seconds would be fine (you can take a rest between each question). The same number of correct answers and a time difference of less than 20 seconds will result in a draw. Let me know if you want to adjust these figures.

When the game starts (on Monday and so on) invites to each match will be sent to the email address you have given.

Questions...?
Gillingham
Into the Groove

Post by Gillingham »

Sounds fun.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Moonbeam, Nick and Gillingham, if you sign up there will be 8 players which is a good even number.

Others are also welcome of course.

But if we'll be 8 players it will be 7 matches per season and then I suggest that we have Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of week 1 and Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of week 2 as days of matches, with 2 days before w.o. for each match, which means that each season is complete by midnight between Thursday and Friday of week 2.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Henrik wrote:Moonbeam, Nick and Gillingham, if you sign up there will be 8 players which is a good even number.

Others are also welcome of course.

But if we'll be 8 players it will be 7 matches per season and then I suggest that we have Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of week 1 and Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of week 2 as days of matches, with 2 days before w.o. for each match, which means that each season is complete by midnight between Thursday and Friday of week 2.
Thanks for signing up, John! I meant you instead of Nick above (the "sounds fun" guys).

Now we are 6 players. There will be 5 matches per season, all in one week, Monday-Friday, with two days before w.o. so the results will be final at Saturday midnight at the latest.

Meanwhile others can join and meet each other in division 2.

I also changed so that equal number number of correct answers always will result in a draw. I don't think it's fair to win/lose due to a time difference when we are not on the same level with the English language. I hope everyone will manage to answer the 4 questions in 60 seconds. If not, please let me know.

Good luck!!!
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Aw, just missed making division 1.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I don't know why the season hasn't started yet.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Ah, I didn't realize that I had to click a "start" button in addition to the "save settings" button. I've changed the schedule to Tuesday-Saturday for the first season, so the game will start tomorrow.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Oh good god how difficult it was to remember ol' Nessum Dorma man.
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

What do you think about 10 questions per game next season? Also, I think you might have been thinking that the time was based on when the game actually started? Ties could be broken by the amount of time taken to answer next season.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

John wrote:What do you think about 10 questions per game next season? Also, I think you might have been thinking that the time was based on when the game actually started? Ties could be broken by the amount of time taken to answer next season.
I chose to not broke any ties by the amount of time taken because we're not on the same level with the English language. At least Otisredding will have a disadvantage then, I think.

I could change to 10 questions (or something higher than 4). I love quizzes to no end so for me it's not a problem. But there are potential drawbacks - others might stay longer in the game if there are not so many questions per day, and with lots of questions every day we might use up the questions after a while.

Barry, Zorg, Otisredding, Listyguy, Stephan, Moonbeam, Nassim, what do you think?
Moonbeam
Full of Fire

Post by Moonbeam »

Henrik wrote:
John wrote:What do you think about 10 questions per game next season? Also, I think you might have been thinking that the time was based on when the game actually started? Ties could be broken by the amount of time taken to answer next season.
I chose to not broke any ties by the amount of time taken because we're not on the same level with the English language. At least Otisredding will have a disadvantage then, I think.

I could change to 10 questions (or something higher than 4). I love quizzes to no end so for me it's not a problem. But there are potential drawbacks - others might stay longer in the game if there are not so many questions per day, and with lots of questions every day we might use up the questions after a while.

Barry, Zorg, Otisredding, Listyguy, Stephan, Moonbeam, Nassim, what do you think?
I'm good with 4 questions. I screwed up in my first match because I wasn't aware of the time limit. Perhaps the time limit should be raised to 2 minutes or so?
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I'd be fine with changing the time of the number of questions.
One thing I noticed is that I got the same question twice (about the Beatles' "Help!"), in two different matches.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Listyguy wrote:I'd be fine with changing the time of the number of questions.
One thing I noticed is that I got the same question twice (about the Beatles' "Help!"), in two different matches.
Listyguy, you confuse me. There are three things that has been discussed:
1. The number of questions
2. A time difference to break ties
3. The total time limit

Which one do you want to change, and to what?
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

- I think the 1 minute time rule is not bad at all, I finish most of mine with 20-30 seconds to go (mainly because I'm having to guess a lot of them).
- Is it possible to have time used to break ties in the final league table, like the equivalent of goal difference in football? So say if people are tied, (which looks inevitable, given that you receive 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw), you find out who took the least time to answer their 20 questions in total.
- I would also be fine with expanding the total number of questions. If 10 is too much for fear of overlap, then maybe we could do 6?

It's been really fun so far, and I'm shocked that I'm 3rd!
Barry
Strange Fruit

Post by Barry »

I'm fine with everything, no changes needed, excluding the fact that the questions could be repeated after a while, something that can't be solved with a bigger number of questions per round... Of course, if there is a general consensus of increasing the number of questions for each round, I don't mind.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Zorg wrote:- Is it possible to have time used to break ties in the final league table, like the equivalent of goal difference in football? So say if people are tied, (which looks inevitable, given that you receive 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw), you find out who took the least time to answer their 20 questions in total.
Not just possible, but always the case.
Barry wrote:I'm fine with everything, no changes needed, excluding the fact that the questions could be repeated after a while
Sorry, nothing I can do about this. The questions are just randomly picked from the database of music questions.
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

Sounds good regarding time limit and language barriers. That makes sense. I haven't had a repeat yet, but since others have, you are right that 4, 6 at the most is the way to go.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

Now that the 5 rounds are over, congratulations to our champion Henrik! Have a cup!

Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Thanks Zorg! The luck was on my side the whole week.

I need a quick decision whether we should continue with 6 players per division and one week per season, or extend to 8 players and two weeks per season!

I will keep the number of questions and time settings for at least another season.
Zorg
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Zorg »

I'd go for 8 in a season.
Barry
Strange Fruit

Post by Barry »

I agree with Zorg, 8 players could be more fun.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I went to bed early yesterday and forgot to change to 8 players. Sorry!
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Haha, lost my first match for misspelling The Joshua Tree in my haste. :angry-banghead:
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Sorry to bring this back after a year, but Stephan and I have been the only two competitors in this for like 6 months now. Is anyone else interested in joining this?
DocBrown
Shake Some Action

Post by DocBrown »

ListyGuy, I signed up just now. No guarantees I'll be any challenge.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

Eh, I'll bite. Can't promise that I'll do it a whole lot, though.
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”