R.I.P. Chester Bennington (1976 - 2017)

Setherex
Movin' On Up

R.I.P. Chester Bennington (1976 - 2017)

Post by Setherex »

Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has committed suicide ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell us the singer hanged himself at a private residence in Palos Verdes Estates in L.A. County. His body was discovered Thursday just before 9 AM.

Chester was married with 6 children from 2 wives.

The singer struggled with drugs and alcohol for years. He had said in the past he had considered committing suicide because he had been abused as a child by an older male.

Chester was very close with Chris Cornell, who himself committed suicide by hanging in May. Today would have been Cornell's 53rd birthday. Chester wrote an open letter to Chris after his death.

The band has had a string of hits over the years, including "Faint," "In the End" and "Crawling." Linkin Park crossed music genres, collaborating with Jay-Z.

The band's album, "Meteroa," was one of the biggest alternative albums in music history.

Bennington was 41.

RIP
http://www.tmz.com/2017/07/20/linkin-pa ... s-suicide/
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: R.I.P. Chester Bennington (1976 - 2017)

Post by StevieFan13 »

Jesus. Even as someone who was never a huge Linkin Park fan, it's heartbreaking to see him die so young. R.I.P. to an early '00s alt-rock pioneer.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

This news has hit me harder than most of the musical deaths over the past year or two. When I first heard this news, all I could think was "...Why??"
When I discovered Linkin Park on A Thousand Suns released in 2010, my ears were opened to the experimental side of music. I would definitely consider myself a fan of Linkin Park, though not a superfan; I feel like I kind of grew up with Chester and the band. This hit me harder than the deaths of Prince and Bowie, which seems surprising but makes sense since by the time I was born Prince and Bowie were essentially old news.
This was the first death of a musical hero that I grew up with, and it feels bad, especially since I was just thinking about life minutes before I saw this headline. I'm sorry that Chester decided to end his life this way.

I'm kind of reaching, but I heard today is actually Chris Cornell's birthday, and since Chester was a big fan of his, I'm thinking that this can't be a coincidence.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

prosecutorgodot wrote:I'm kind of reaching, but I heard today is actually Chris Cornell's birthday, and since Chester was a big fan of his, I'm thinking that this can't be a coincidence.
You're not the only one thinking that - it's being discussed online, a lot. Bennington wasn't just a fan - they were close. He sang "Hallelujah" at Cornell's funeral.
Dexter
Movin' On Up

Post by Dexter »

Terrible news. Never a big fan of LP; Hybrid Theory and Meteora are solid albums but I appreciate them more as a singles band. Didn't know he was very close with Chris Cornell. Both died so young and their songs resonate because they sang them with conviction and unfortunately, in their cases, proved prescient ("In the End", "The Day I Tried to Live"). R.I.P. Chester.

My Top 10 Linkin Park Songs:
1. In the End
2. One Step Closer
3. Numb
4. Crawling
5. Faint
6. Breaking the Habit
7. Points of Authority
8. Somewhere I Belong
9. With You
10. My December
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

I didn't like the band except for "In the End," but still that's quite sad, for those left behind and for the individual him or herself in these cases, whom I assume suffered an overpowering level of depression either that day or constantly.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Here's Linkin Park's tribute to Chris Cornell:
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

Rest in peace.
I feel like that

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”