Music of R&B: Nominations

ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Music of R&B: Nominations

Post by ordinaryperson »

"R&B, which began as an abbreviation for Rhythm & Blues, is understood by many today as an umbrella term that includes the most popular forms of African-American music from the late 1940s, when the term rhythm & blues first appeared, through to the Contemporary R&B of the 1980s forward. Between the time that the term faded in the late 1960s and then reappeared in the 1980s, Soul and Funk were two of the most popular genres in the African-American community. While there is much that is distinct about these genres, they are strongly influenced by the first decade of rhythm & blues and often included under the R&B umbrella. These genres collectively cover the career arc of some of the most notable stars of R&B including James Brown, Aretha Franklin, The Temptations, and Stevie Wonder.

In the early 1950s, the term would have also included late-period Jump-Blues and early Rock & Roll; however, today's usage generally limits the early period of the genre to rhythm & blues, Doo-Wop, and New Orleans R&B. Mainstream acceptance of Hip Hop in the 1990s brought an end to R&B as the umbrella term describing almost all popular Afro-American music, though contemporary R&B has continued in popularity alongside hip-hop, occasionally mixing influences as is the case with New Jack Swing.

Whilst having American roots and origins, the international popularity of its main genres (rhythm & blues, soul, and funk) have led to a number of distinct genres including British Rhythm & Blues, Latin Soul, and Afrobeat. R&B has also been a major influence on Pop and Disco.

It is notable that the term rhythm & blues, and thus R&B, was invented by marketers in the late 1940s to replace the term "race records", but for some the short form of the name is more closely associated with contemporary R&B. Additionally, it is not universally accepted that R&B is inclusive of soul and funk, which are considered more distinct by some than others. The history of the Billboard charts likely adds to the confusion. A switch was not made from "best selling rhythm & blues singles" to "best selling soul singles" until August of 1969 even though the 1960s is sometimes considered the heyday of soul. Similarly, in the late 1970s, the "Hot Soul Singles" chart was often topped by disco or funk single. For most of the 1980s the chart went by the name "Black Singles" or "Hot Black Singles", though the hits of that era are often recognized today as contemporary R&B." - Rate Your Music

The rules:
1. The 10 highest ranking albums and the 20 highest ranking songs will be automatically included in the tournament.
2. Private Message me a list of 7 albums and 7 songs you want to see in the tournament
3. Nomination are due by Sunday, 23 July at noon EST
4. Each person’s #1 choice will be included, if two or more people have the same #1 their #2 and further on will be included.
5. If there is still room left any albums or songs mentioned multiple times will get in.
6. And if there is still room left I’ll go down the lists submitted.
I will consider Disco and all it's sub genres as R&B despite it not being listed on Acclaimed Music.
This will be a 64 albums and songs tournament.
Be sure to get your nominations in early!

Here are the albums and songs that automatically get included. DO NOT VOTE FOR THESE:
Albums
James Brown - Live at the Apollo
Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Prince - Purple Rain
Prince - Sign ‘O’ the Times
Otis Redding - Otis Blue/Otis Redding Sings Soul
Sly and the Family Stone - There’s a Riot Goin’ On
Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life

Songs
Beyonce feat. Jay-Z - Crazy in Love
Ray Charles - What’d I Say
Sam Cooke - A Change is Gonna Come
Daft Punk feat. Nile Rodgers and Pharrell Williams - Get Lucky
Four Tops - Reach Out I’ll Be There
Aretha Franklin - Respect
Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through the Grapevine
Marvin Gaye - What’s Going On
Al Green - Let’s Stay Together
Martha and the Vandellas - Dancing in the Street
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
The Jackson 5 - I Want You Back
Ben E. King - Stand By Me
Prince - When Doves Cry
Otis Redding - (Sittin’ On) the Dock of the Bay
The Righteous Brothers - You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles - The Tracks of My Tears
Ike and Tina Turner - River Deep - Mountain High
Donna Summer - I Feel Love
Stevie Wonder - Superstition
There is No More Firmament.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Re: Music of R&B: Nominations

Post by ordinaryperson »

So far I've received nominations from:
DaveC
EmilienDelRey
Honorio
JWinton
StevieFan13
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

I've received lists from:
andyd1010
bonnielaurel
Bruno
DaveC
EmilienDelRey
Henry
Honorio
JWinton
Neil
StevieFan13
acroamor
Shake Some Action

Post by acroamor »

In a similar vein to not including "Hey Ya!" in the hip-hop poll, can we please leave "Get Lucky" off of the R&B list? There may be some debate on it, but I for one would not consider it R&B.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

acroamor wrote:In a similar vein to not including "Hey Ya!" in the hip-hop poll, can we please leave "Get Lucky" off of the R&B list? There may be some debate on it, but I for one would not consider it R&B.
I concur. That song jumped out immediately to me as being out of place.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Listyguy wrote:
acroamor wrote:In a similar vein to not including "Hey Ya!" in the hip-hop poll, can we please leave "Get Lucky" off of the R&B list? There may be some debate on it, but I for one would not consider it R&B.
Agreed. I Feel Love also feels a bit out of place.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

StevieFan13 wrote:
Listyguy wrote:
Agreed. I Feel Love also feels a bit out of place.
I also wouldn't consider "Get Lucky" R&B, but, as a genre that's very difficult to define, I thought as if the poll was meant to include everything that is considered "black music" except for some more strict genres such as hip hop, jazz, blues, etc.
In the rules, ordinaryperson says "I will consider Disco and all it's sub genres as R&B despite it not being listed on Acclaimed Music". Then, as "Get Lucky" is ultimately a disco track (like much part of "Random Access Memories"), I think its fair that both the song and its album could be included.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Both songs are R&b, in my opinion.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Not sure how to manage this. In order to prevent a bitter ending for the R&B tournament maybe when ordinaryperson post the selected albums and songs we should open a week for objections. If there is a song or album with more people objecting than defending it, we should take the song/album out of the game. For instance right now we could have a tie in the case of "Get Lucky." 3 against (acroamor, Listyguy and StevieFan13) and 3 for (Toni, Bruno and... me). How a song with a guitar part like the Nile Rodgers one can't be considered R&B? Maybe not the whole album can be considered R&B but (in my opinion) the single should be included. But if more people wants the song out than in probably we should remove it...
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

Honorio wrote:Not sure how to manage this. In order to prevent a bitter ending for the R&B tournament maybe when ordinaryperson post the selected albums and songs we should open a week for objections. If there is a song or album with more people objecting than defending it, we should take the song/album out of the game. For instance right now we could have a tie in the case of "Get Lucky." 3 against (acroamor, Listyguy and StevieFan13) and 3 for (Toni, Bruno and... me). How a song with a guitar part like the Nile Rodgers one can't be considered R&B? Maybe not the whole album can be considered R&B but (in my opinion) the single should be included. But if more people wants the song out than in probably we should remove it...
Eminently sensible. I nominated an album and a song that I think are borderline. And for me 'Get Lucky' is pop and 'I Feel Love' is also a bit dodgy - more sophisti-pop than R&B.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

If I remember correctly, didn't we argue that "Crazy" was ineligible for the hip hop tournament because it is more R&B? In that case shouldn't it be in this tournament?
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Same with "Hey Ya!"
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

I've received lists from:
andyd1010
antonius
bonnielaurel
Bruno
DaveC
EmilienDelRey
Henry
Honorio
JWinton
Listguy
Madzong
Nassim
Neil
StevieFan13
Toni
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

Listyguy wrote:If I remember correctly, didn't we argue that "Crazy" was ineligible for the hip hop tournament because it is more R&B? In that case shouldn't it be in this tournament?
For sure. I have even included "Hey Ya" in my nomination list, but I could replace it with another track if it turns out an automatically eligible song.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

You have 24 hours to submit your nominations.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

Last edited by ordinaryperson on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

What's the reasoning for albums at the same AM rank/level being pinned against each other?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

...alright, which joker nominated Disco Duck?
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I foolishly forgot to nominate 1999, so thank you to whoever did that!
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Some of these match-ups are brutal - the idea that a song like Crazy in Love or Billie Jean could be eliminated in the first round because they were up against each other is wild.
Toni
Different Class

Post by Toni »

prosecutorgodot wrote:What's the reasoning for albums at the same AM rank/level being pinned against each other?
I have found this way a lot more fair to lesser known albums, since we're gonna have more time and oportunities for listening to them. Of course that will lead to some painful parts, like either "Sign O' the Times" or "Innervisions" going away right in the first round. I think, though, the main purpose of the game is not to rank the best R&B albums, but to give everyone some opportunity to explore a bit more of this music genre.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Toni wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:What's the reasoning for albums at the same AM rank/level being pinned against each other?
I have found this way a lot more fair to lesser known albums, since we're gonna have more time and oportunities for listening to them. Of course that will lead to some painful parts, like either "Sign O' the Times" or "Innervisions" going away right in the first round. I think, though, the main purpose of the game is not to rank the best R&B albums, but to give everyone some opportunity to explore a bit more of this music genre.
Reasonable enough I suppose. Thanks.
Madzong
Shake Some Action

Post by Madzong »

Listyguy wrote:I foolishly forgot to nominate 1999, so thank you to whoever did that!
I nominated the album :)
"On a mountain range, I'm Dr. Strange"
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Listyguy wrote:I foolishly forgot to nominate 1999, so thank you to whoever did that!
Same for me and "Les Fleur".

Didn't nominate Maggot Brain though it might be my favorite eligible song, as I Don't find it very R&B. Thought it would make the list though
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Is there any objection to any of the nominations? Not on my part, every song and album included fit inside the genre. And it's a good nomination.
The only (minor) objection is the seeding. Too many masterpieces packed on games #1-8. Maybe we could have made two groups for the seeding instead 4.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Honorio wrote:The only (minor) objection is the seeding. Too many masterpieces packed on games #1-8. Maybe we could have made two groups for the seeding instead 4.
Agreed.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

The tournament will start on the 5th of August.
Honorio
Higher Ground

Post by Honorio »

Which is the planned order of the tournament? I mean, first week games 1-8, second 9-16, third 17-24 and fourth 25-32? I got two holiday trips this month of August but I want to participate so I need to do some listening in advance.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

Honorio wrote:Which is the planned order of the tournament? I mean, first week games 1-8, second 9-16, third 17-24 and fourth 25-32?
The tournament is going to go exactly in that order.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”