POLL #2: Deciding the Next Genre Tournament

Which of these major genres should we use as a basis for the next tournament?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:13 pm

Ambient
No votes
Blues
No votes
Classical Music
3%
Country
3%
Dance
3%
Darkwave
3%
Descriptor
No votes
Electronic
14%
Experimental
3%
Folk
3%
Industrial Music
3%
Jazz
28%
Musical Theater and Entertainment
No votes
Pop
No votes
R&B
28%
Regional Music
3%
Rock
3%
Singer/Songwriter
No votes
Ska
No votes

Total votes: 29

ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

POLL #2: Deciding the Next Genre Tournament

Post by ordinaryperson »

The time has come again. Vote for what genre you want as the basis for the next tournament.
Last edited by ordinaryperson on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is No More Firmament.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: POLL #2: Deciding the Next Genre Tournament

Post by StevieFan13 »

I'd say musical theatre, but for the sake of the non-theatre folks, I went with R&B, if only for the sake of getting some funk in here.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

What was poll #1? The rap and hip hop one?
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Also, given the number of options here, might I suggest doing a runoff if there is no clear majority (which, given the sheer number of options, is pretty likely)?
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

Listyguy wrote:What was poll #1? The rap and hip hop one?
Yes.
Listyguy wrote:Also, given the number of options here, might I suggest doing a runoff if there is no clear majority (which, given the sheer number of options, is pretty likely)?
I will do that if necessary. But from what I remember about the last poll, a lot of people changed their votes to hip hop after it became clear it was going to win.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

I feel I need to say something about the format. The previous game was great and very well managed.
Nonetheless, I must say I was all hip-hopped out after four weeks and by the end I was just taking the ratings previously given and pitching the ratings against each other. This dilutes the purpose somehow and the main culprit is the sheer size of the contest.

I think that once the main genre is voted for, we should be able to choose a sub genre to reduce the size of the roster to 16 albums and 32 songs. This would keep the listening experience fresh and reduce listening fatigue.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

spiritualized wrote: I think that once the main genre is voted for, we should be able to choose a sub genre to reduce the size of the roster to 16 albums and 32 songs. This would keep the listening experience fresh and reduce listening fatigue.
With R&B in the lead at the moment...just saying, a funk tournament would be dope.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I voted Jazz. Many of my recent discoveries have been Jaxz so this would continue that trend for me.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

spiritualized wrote:I feel I need to say something about the format. The previous game was great and very well managed.
Sarcasm is always appreciated ;)
spiritualized wrote:Nonetheless, I must say I was all hip-hopped out after four weeks and by the end I was just taking the ratings previously given and pitching the ratings against each other. This dilutes the purpose somehow and the main culprit is the sheer size of the contest.

I think that once the main genre is voted for, we should be able to choose a sub genre to reduce the size of the roster to 16 albums and 32 songs. This would keep the listening experience fresh and reduce listening fatigue.
Well thank goodness that it seems that the winning genre has a lot of sub genres that would make for good tournaments. I was actually planning to increase the amount of albums for the next tournament, I'll wait and see what everybody else thinks about this before I make any decisions.

I actually was disappointed with the hip hop genre in a completely different way than you were. I felt that there wasn't anything in the tournament that I wouldn't have listened to outside of it.

Since it is more than likely that R&B will win the poll: Contemporary R&B, Disco, Funk, New Orleans R&B, Rhythm & Blues, and Soul will be our choices for a sub genre.
Last edited by ordinaryperson on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Thanks ordinaryperson for considering this !
No sarcasm here :) I enjoyed the music and I know it isn't easy to run these games, kudos to you and your patience :)
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

ordinaryperson wrote: I actually was disappointed with the hip hop genre in a completely different way than you were. I felt that there wasn't anything in the tournament that I wouldn't have listened to outside of it.

Since it is more than likely that R&B will win the poll: Contemporary R&B, Funk, New Orleans R&B, Rhythm & Blues, and Soul will be our choices for a sub genre.

Maybe increase the share of forumers picks Vs acclaimed albums ?
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Maybe the top ten in the genre should actually be banned from the tournament, in order to make room for more lesser-known records.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

prosecutorgodot wrote:Maybe the top ten in the genre should actually be banned from the tournament, in order to make room for more lesser-known records.
...mmmmaayyybbeee. Saves me the potential heartbreak of seeing Superstition get trounced.
ordinaryperson
Movin' On Up

Post by ordinaryperson »

It seems that a runoff poll is necessary to determine a winner. I'll post it alongside the next edition of the hip hop tournament.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”