Lorde's Melodrama: Discussion Thread

StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Lorde's Melodrama: Discussion Thread

Post by StevieFan13 »

Well, it finally happened. After four years of waiting and three tantalizingly good lead-off singles, Lorde's Melodrama is finally out.
Here's a link with the album:
http://www.stereogum.com/1947109/stream ... um-stream/
Feel free to give your thoughts! Me, personally, I'm very excited to give the whole album a listen.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Re: Lorde's Melodrama: Discussion Thread

Post by bootsy »

I might give this a listen. I wasn't a fan of her last album and didn't like the two songs I heard off of this album but I'll still give it a try.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

OK, straight up? I think it's a masterpiece. It lived up to expectations and then some, and I think it's the most cohesive pop album I've heard in quite some time.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I really liked Pure Heroine so prolly will like this too. Might top Pure Heroine based on StevieFan's comment.

93/100 Metacritic rn Image

Edit: Solid 4 stars IMO. Liability is my favorite song. I still prefer Pure Heroine. Production is more lavish on Melodrama tho.
Last edited by PlasticRam on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I feel like that
Sunwoo1213
Are You Experienced?

Post by Sunwoo1213 »

Way Better than Pure Heroine.. For Me, It's one of the best albums of this year!
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

I like the song Royals a lot but couldn't get into full album. Will be sure to give this one a spin.

Good to see Randy get back to music after the whole member berries fiasco.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Jirin wrote:I like the song Royals a lot but couldn't get into full album. Will be sure to give this one a spin.

Good to see Randy get back to music after the whole member berries fiasco.
Ya ya ya.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

Haven't heard either Lorde album, but I'll probably listen to this one tonight and share my thoughts. I heard "Green Light" when it dropped, and while it's good, it'll never be "Royals" (pun completely intentional).
Jirin
Running Up That Hill

Post by Jirin »

Listened to Melodrama. I like it but it does not change my perception of Lorde as a singles artist. The opening single is fantastic and the rest is just pretty good.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

What a B A N G E R right to the top of my favorite albums of the year.

Green Light, Sober and Homemade Dynamite could all have been lead singles and start the album off with a bang. I remember thinking that the chorus to Green Light was something Kate Bush would dream up, or at least be proud of. Sober feels like a bit of filler, but with this album even the filler is quality. Homemade D-d-d-dynamite, while I can't stand the Sia-fication of music - where the chorus ends up being the same word repeated, somehow makes perfect sense in this context.

The Louvre keeps a pace with some interesting word use "just a thing that my mind do" sets up for the later remark "...down the back, but who cares, still the Louvre". Liability focus on Lords voice and lyrics while Hard Feelings/Loveless is more an experiment in song structure, I guess.

When musicians might be tempted with finishing the rest of the album with filler, we find more delights. A set of reflections on two previous songs. The greatest moment of Kate Bush drag with the chorus of Writer In The Dark (which is the single best part of the album for me). Supercut speeds up the pace after 5 slower tunes with an interesting take on love potential/remembrance.

I thought Perfect Places was a pretty silly tune stand-alone, but in the context of the album, you couldn't find a better closing tune.

I'm not sold on the current track order, but as it stands you could jumble these up in any order and get something decent.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Maschine_Man wrote:The greatest moment of Kate Bush drag with the chorus of Writer In The Dark (which is the single best part of the album for me).
Yes! Thank you! My first thought when I heard her slipping into a higher register on that chorus was "God, I wonder if anyone else thinks she sounds exactly like Kate Bush here."

I think it's a terrific album. I've only listened to it once, but it already sounds better than the debut (which I liked as well). When I first heard "Green Light" and learned she was working with Antonoff I was worried that the album might veer way too pop, but those worries were unfounded.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Harold wrote: When I first heard "Green Light" and learned she was working with Antonoff I was worried that the album might veer way too pop, but those worries were unfounded.
Although I like Antonoff's work with Bleachers and fun, this has to be his finest hour as a producer. It might be too soon to call him and Lorde a singer/producer match-up as perfect and ubiquitous as, say, George Martin/The Beatles or Dr. Dre/Snoop Dogg, but the two collaborated really closely, and it shows. It's both of their most consistent work to date. "Royals" may be the most important contribution Lorde will ever make to music, but this is probably her greatest overall work.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I give the album 7/10 for the time being. By this time next year it will probably be up to 8/10, if I had to guess. I agree with a lot of what has been said here, especially on cohesiveness of the album (for example, "Liability" seems like it was just thrown in at a random spot that doesn't really fit with the flow of the album all that much).

I also agree with the "Writer in the Dark"/Kate Bush analysis. I wouldn't be opposed to Lorde turning into a modern version of Kate Bush.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”