Predictions for EOY 2017

StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Predictions for EOY 2017

Post by StevieFan13 »

The mid-year lists are starting to roll out, so I'm beginning to speculate on which albums and songs are going to do well come the end of the year. I can already see DAMN. reigning victorious at the end of the year, and "HUMBLE." also stands a good chance of making the top five, if not snatching the top spot, on the songs list. Sadly, it appears to be closely trailed by "Bad and Boujee," whose appeal has been lost on me completely.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: Predictions for EOY 2017

Post by Harold »

StevieFan13 wrote:The mid-year lists are starting to roll out, so I'm beginning to speculate on which albums and songs are going to do well come the end of the year. I can already see DAMN. reigning victorious at the end of the year, and "HUMBLE." also stands a good chance of making the top five, if not snatching the top spot, on the songs list. Sadly, it appears to be closely trailed by "Bad and Boujee," whose appeal has been lost on me completely.
I predict that the EOY album top 20 will include...

...a bunch of albums that haven't come out yet.

Kidding aside, I presume that the following albums will very much be remembered at the end of the year: DAMN., A Crow Looked at Me, Process, Pure Comedy, I See You, Semper Femina, 50 Song Memoir, No Shape. And of course Run the Jewels 3, even though it's technically a 2016 release.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

What I'm curious of is which currently non-Megacritc approved albums are going to make it. That's always hard to predict, but I noticed that generally speaking there are always a couple of albums that don't get too consistently high ratings, but still make a lot of EOY lists. About 2 or 3 of these are by prominent artists, that even though they made a seemingly minor effort, still get to play a big part in the final lists. Last year we saw for example Rihanna, Drake and Wilco pulling this stunt. Perhaps even Kanye West, although he did feature in MegaCritic rather prominently, despite the mixed nature of most reviews.
An obvious candidate for this year is of course again Drake, but who else? Paul Weller perhaps, but oldies tend to be unpredictable in these type of lists. I could actually see Gorillaz over-performing when the end of the year arrives, even if everyone agrees that it is not up to par with their earlier efforts. As an outlier, perhaps Julia Holter.

Also, I really like Bad and Boujee.
Nassim
Full of Fire

Post by Nassim »

Rob wrote:What I'm curious of is which currently non-Megacritc approved albums are going to make it. That's always hard to predict, but I noticed that generally speaking there are always a couple of albums that don't get too consistently high ratings, but still make a lot of EOY lists. About 2 or 3 of these are by prominent artists, that even though they made a seemingly minor effort, still get to play a big part in the final lists. Last year we saw for example Rihanna, Drake and Wilco pulling this stunt. Perhaps even Kanye West, although he did feature in MegaCritic rather prominently, despite the mixed nature of most reviews.
An obvious candidate for this year is of course again Drake, but who else? Paul Weller perhaps, but oldies tend to be unpredictable in these type of lists. I could actually see Gorillaz over-performing when the end of the year arrives, even if everyone agrees that it is not up to par with their earlier efforts. As an outlier, perhaps Julia Holter.
That's a good point, so I though The Avalanches would pull that out last year and didn't really.

Drake is indeed an obvious one, it made #17 in Stereogum's list of the best albums so far this year (some low profile albums ranked higher, as high as #3, but I don't expect those to succeed if Stereogum's list from last year is any indication). Also made Billboard list, NME's list, #3 on Complex and #11 on Spin !
Future got some big love, made it to #5 on Spin's list and I read some very high praise on various websites.
Phoenix seems to have a bunch of great reviews that could push it higher than its, probably fairly low, megacritic grade will suggest. And it already made #12 in Spin's list of the best albums of the year so far.
Mac deMarco is fairing a bit better in MCCh but will also probably get a push from "rest of the world" charts.
Japandroids also got a bunch of very good reviews, they could get a push. Made #4 in Uproxxx's list of best albums of the year so far (Gorillaz made top 20 too) and #20 at Spin.

It's easier to guess who won't be as high as its MCCh : the 2 grime and the 2 ambient albums in the current top 25 won't probably do that well, safe for the FACT list and a couple others, same will probably go for Jlin and maybe for Arca.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Nassim wrote: It's easier to guess who won't be as high as its MCCh : the 2 grime and the 2 ambient albums in the current top 25 won't probably do that well, safe for the FACT list and a couple others, same will probably go for Jlin and maybe for Arca.
I think Jlin and especially Arca may still feature nicely, even if they probably won't end up as high as on MegaCritic. I feel pretty certain Ryuichi Sakamoto will do much, much worse, perhaps only scraping the bottom of the top 100. I find Moonlandingz harder to predict, but despite the current rank of 19 on MegaCritic I doubt it's going to be a top contender.

And there is of course the case of PWR BTTM. It is on #21 now, but it would be lucky to even receive a top 100 placement on the End of the Year list.

Not in the current top 25, but I would also like to mention Colin Stetson (current #28). He did well on MegaCritic last year, but hardly made any EOY-lists, perhaps because he works in some kind of niche that falls outside of many list-makers' radar. I completely expect this to happen again this year. To bad, because he makes some of the best current music if you ask me.
spiritualized
Full of Fire

Post by spiritualized »

Rob wrote:
I think Jlin and especially Arca may still feature nicely, even if they probably won't end up as high as on MegaCritic. I feel pretty certain Ryuichi Sakamoto will do much, much worse, perhaps only scraping the bottom of the top 100. I find Moonlandingz harder to predict, but despite the current rank of 19 on MegaCritic I doubt it's going to be a top contender.

And there is of course the case of PWR BTTM. It is on #21 now, but it would be lucky to even receive a top 100 placement on the End of the Year list.

Not in the current top 25, but I would also like to mention Colin Stetson (current #28). He did well on MegaCritic last year, but hardly made any EOY-lists, perhaps because he works in some kind of niche that falls outside of many list-makers' radar. I completely expect this to happen again this year. To bad, because he makes some of the best current music if you ask me.

It would just show how much out of touch with the critics I am
Jlin = horrible
Arca = meh
Ryuichi = meh
PWR BTTM = very good if you take it out of context
Colis Stetson = very good.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

I think Otisredding's formula is fine as it is. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

But if the purpose would be to predict the EOY lists, then the number of reviews should be weighted higher (and the average rating weighted lower).
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Rob
Die Mensch Maschine

Post by Rob »

Henrik wrote:I think Otisredding's formula is fine as it is. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Well, it wasn't in any way a criticism on Otisredding's list.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”