That feeling of discovering a new favorite artist...

BleuPanda
Higher Ground

That feeling of discovering a new favorite artist...

Post by BleuPanda »

At my new job, I'm pretty much allowed to listen to music whenever, so I've been going through a lot of albums I had previously overlooked (largely in my early music listening days where I wrote off anything that wasn't essential). Today I decided to go back through Nick Cave's work, and boy have I been blown away. How he's been this consistent over such a long period is truly astounding.

But it feels weird, because LCD Soundsystem has solidly held that spot since I started seriously getting into music, and it's not like I haven't known Nick Cave for just as long. I guess everything just fell into place now. It looks like it will all come down to whatever James Murphy puts out in a couple months to see if he will retain that top placement.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: That feeling of discovering a new favorite artist...

Post by StevieFan13 »

If you're gonna pick a new favorite artist, it's hard to argue with Nick Cave.
My favorite solo artist is harder to pin down than my favorite band (The Smiths). It's something of a toss-up between David Bowie, Billy Joel, Stevie Wonder, and Prince at this point. But it's a great feeling to find an artist who really speaks to you.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Oh man, do I envy you. The Beatles, while I love them to death, have been my favorite band for the past ten years. There was a point though, around summer 2008 or so, when Radiohead skyrocketed from my number 5 band to my number 2, where they remain to this day.

Yeah, my favorites don't change all too much...
DaveC
Running Up That Hill

Post by DaveC »

I have 10 Nick Cave albums in my top 500. (The next best is Low with 8.) So totally agree with your assessment. Another artist I think is worth the full discography treatment is Bjork (including The Sugarcubes).
BleuPanda
Higher Ground

Post by BleuPanda »

I just redid my top 1000; here are where the Nick Cave albums have now placed:
98. Skeleton Tree
203. Tender Prey
283. Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus
315. The Boatman's Call
336. From Her to Eternity
341. The Good Son
348. Push the Sky Away
362. Murder Ballads
474. Let Love In
546. Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!
755. The Firstborn is Dead
847. Your Funeral...My Trial
848. Kicking Against the Pricks

So 9 in my top 500 and 13 in the top 1000. I should probably also revisit Grinderman and check out The Birthday Party.
Listyguy
Running Up That Hill

Post by Listyguy »

I had a similar experience with Game Theory a few years ago. They're not a top 10 favorite artist of mine, but they have some music that was magical to hear for the first time. Really an incredible feeling.
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

It's been Kate Bush the last month or so for me. I've liked her big singles for a while, but now Wuthering Heights is pushing T100 all-time and I've been going through her albums. Somehow, I'd never listened to Hounds of Love before (which I had known to be one of my biggest blind spots), and I'll probably place it in the T200 in this album poll.
PlasticRam
Into the Groove

Post by PlasticRam »

I had an experience like this when I discovered Exuma, through this forum actually. Top 5 artist for me prolly.
I feel like that
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

The latest artist that I absolutely 100% love is Kero Kero Bonito, rising up to my top 30.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

prosecutorgodot wrote:The latest artist that I absolutely 100% love is Kero Kero Bonito, rising up to my top 30.
I'm not sure if they really have potential to be a top 30 artist for me, but Bonito Generation was an unusually good album. I say "unusual" because I usually deride consumerist/bourgeoisie/childlike/whatever-the-words-I'm-forgetting lyrics (Bob Dylan screwed me over in the lyric department), but there is something just really addictive about Sarah Bonito's voice and it does actually work well with the lyrics. I'm hoping their next album will not disappoint.

Life's Too Good is essential, positively essential! It's definitely a crowning achievement and important moment in Bjork's career.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

babydoll wrote:
prosecutorgodot wrote:The latest artist that I absolutely 100% love is Kero Kero Bonito, rising up to my top 30.
I'm not sure if they really have potential to be a top 30 artist for me, but Bonito Generation was an unusually good album. I say "unusual" because I usually deride consumerist/bourgeoisie/childlike/whatever-the-words-I'm-forgetting lyrics (Bob Dylan screwed me over in the lyric department), but there is something just really addictive about Sarah Bonito's voice and it does actually work well with the lyrics. I'm hoping their next album will not disappoint.

Life's Too Good is essential, positively essential! It's definitely a crowning achievement and important moment in Bjork's career.
I based my ranking on that album as well as the trio's 2014 debut mixtape Intro Bonito, which you should definitely check out. It's not as smooth and exploding with great melodies, but it experiments a bit more, and sees them trying out very zany combos of sound.

I heard Life's Too Good once, wasn't that impressed, but I'll give it another shot.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”