Rodney Bingenheimer Leaving KROQ

luvulongTIM
Different Class

Rodney Bingenheimer Leaving KROQ

Post by luvulongTIM »

If you're in or from LA and don't know who this man is you get an F+ for your knowledge of the LA Music Scene and in pop culture. He basically MADE KROQ WORLD FAMOUS and new management did it. They pulled the trigger. Rodney's final show on that sorry excuse for a radio station will take place next Sunday (technically Monday morning the 5th of June). Look him up online because his influence is so Godhead I couldn't possibly fit it in a single post. It's all happening because of Rodney.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Re: Rodney Bingenheimer Leaving KROQ

Post by bootsy »

Well I guess I get an F+. Never heard of him.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Well him leaving KROQ would be like the equivalent of Henrik leaving this site. He's also been called the US' answer to his old friend John Peel. If KROQ is truly "world famous" it's because of him and all the bands he broke in the US. The list goes on from his bff Bowie in the late 60s all the way to Haim who were the last major act he broke. But in between is a who's who of Godhead bands that just became legendary in terms of fame, acclaim and cult status. So many alternative rock bands owe him a endless amount of debt. College radio even owes him a great deal when it comes to their pop and indie format. Just ask this local LA college rock DJ Henry Rollins. Yes THAT Henry Rollins!!!!! His influence on pop culture is beyond impactful and he did everything his own way which is what became a threat to KROQs management's corporate and generic image.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Here's his FINAL playlist ever on KROQ cause I know that's what everyone here has been chomping at the bit over ;)

Rodney on The Roq Playlist KROQ farewell – Final 4 Hour Show 6/5/17

**Tigers Jaws “Follows”
The Woolly Bandits “Hard To Forget You”
**The Fontaines “Mercury”
Lola Blanc “Real Boy”
**Honeychain “Going Through Your Purse”
The Dollyrots “Dance Like A Maniac”
The Pandoras “I Want My Caveman”
Van Halen Interview
Van Halen “Running With The Devil”
**The Suburbs “Hey Muse”
Single By Sunday “It Is What It Is”
The Vaccines “Teenage Icon”
The Ramones “Blitzkrieg Bop”
Black Flag “TV Party”
Blondie “My Monster”
Beck Black with Tony Valentino "You’re Never Gonna Stop Me”
Skating Polly “Louder In Outer Space”
Slotface “Magazine”
The Jesus and Mary Chain “Just Like Honey”
The Bangles “Getting Out of Hand”
Dog Party “Round N Round”
The Go-Go’s “The Whole World Lost It’s Head”
The Regrettes "Lacy Lou”
Siouxsie And The Banshees “Hong Kong Garden”
The Regrettes "Teenager In Love”
**The Tearaways “Name That Tune”
The Jesus and Mary Chain “Surfin USA”
Travis “Coming Around”
The Moon Kids “Something Spectacular”
Joan Jett and The Blackhearts “Bad Reputation”
**The Roxy Suicide “Radio Lies”
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes “Sloop John B”
Fire In The Radio “New Air”
Rev Horton Heat “Let Me Teach You How to Eat”
The Routes “No Permanence”
Elvis Costello Interview
Elvis Costello “Watching The Detectives”
Hear Kitty Kitty “Liftoff”
**Satellite Sky “Who Do You Love?”
Fiona Silver “Housewife”
The Postmarks “7-11”
Sylvia Black “I Wanna Be Sedated”
The Atomics “Voulez Vous”
Ninet “Superstar”
The Donnas “Schools Out”
The Atomics “Let’s Live For Today”
Art Break “Will To Survive”
Roxy Music “Virginia Plain”
St. Tropez “I Wanna Live in St. Tropez”
Cotton Mather “Girl With A Blue Guitar”
The Jigsaw Seen “The Best is Yet To Come”
Al Jardine “PT Cruiser”
**All We Are “Human”
Death Valley Girls “Love Spell”
Fuzzy “Girl Don’t Tell Me”
**The Fontaines “Mercury”
The Monkees "Porpoise Song”
Last edited by luvulongTIM on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Damn good playlist. I hear he's continuing at another station though.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
Rocky Raccoon
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Rocky Raccoon »

luvulongTIM wrote:Here's his FINAL playlist ever on KROQ cause I know that's what everyone here has been chomping at the bit over ;)
It's "champing" at the bit. Weird, I know, but there it is.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Um! I knew that. Spell check did that LOL! Ok ok I've been taken to school haha. Much like with Rodney Bingenheimer who was like a top notch teacher when I would have that feeling of discovering a new favorite artist :) I was going to mention him on that other thread but you they seem to have a Nick Cave topic going and I didn't want to go off track and look the fool. I would have mentioned how I discovered either the majority of my favorite artist or genres through Rodney. He doesn't always play ACCLAIMED music so I would often find a common ground between him and this site. While the critics SOMETIMES help me discover Godhead new finds I'd look to Rodney and maybe college radio to balance out what would tickle my fancy that isn't exactly thrilling the popular music publications. Names that NEVER get much love here like Shonen Knife,the Buck Brothers, Wild Smiles, Lush, Rialto, Embrace, the 22-20s, Catherine Wheel, The Gore Gore Girls, Tilly and the Wall, the Primitives, JJ72, The Postmarks, the Delays, Susie Quatro, the Jigsaw Scene, the Seeds, Dressy Bessy, Apples in Stereo, Kenickie, Mew, the Donnas,Rooney, Switches, the Vaccines, Kristeen Young, Curve, Nina Hagen, the Dollyrotts, Skating Polly and NU just to name a few. And these are relatively unknown compared to the big names he broke in the US like David Bowie, The Ramones, Blondie, the Clash, the Sex Pistols, The Runaways, X, Minor Threat, Suicidal Tendencies, The Germs, the Dickies, the Damned, The Buzzcocks, The Smiths, Sonic Youth, The Fall, the Cramps,the Cure, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ride, Nirvana, Hole, L7, Suede, Ash, Supergass, Blur, Oasis, Elastica, The Killers, Travis, Coldplay, Doves, The Strokes, The Sweet, T.Rex, Slade, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, No Doubt, Garbage, PJ Harvey, Haim, Katy Perry, Patti Smith, the New York Dolls, Television, Green Day, Van Halen...and I'm skimming the surface. Also I am hearing he's receiving all sorts of offers from college radio to Satellite to Sirius to ironically the internet which Rodney notoriously loathes.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Wowee. I truly never realized the scope of his influence on music until I realized he was the guy who broke the Dickies. Would we even be on this site now if it weren't for them?

I kid, of course. Thank you for bringing this man to attention here on the site. He seems remarkable and I hope he continues breaking new and exciting bands for years to come.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

I know. I included the Dickies and totally left out Souxsie and the Banshees, the Bangles, the Go Gos and the Pandoras. The latter three all had begged him to play their demos on the air and the rest is history. Well not really for the Pandoras. They only had a cult following but unlike Pavement to Sonic Youth and the Pixies they actually DESERVE to be clumped in the same sentence with LA all grrl groups the Go Gos and the Bangles who were simply called Bangs when they'd send Rodney their demos.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Can you at least explain what is KROQ?! :-)
Thanks.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Romain wrote:Can you at least explain what is KROQ?! :-)
Thanks.
It's a Los Angeles radio station.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

It's supposed to be "world famous." That's kind of their slogan. So much for that notion LOL! I wrote a couple of articles for Artrocker in the U.K. I featured Rodney in one of my articles and he is kind of a big deal amongst art rock fans in Britain. At least I think he is.
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Thank you guys.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

I guess if I lived in LA this guy would be a bigger deal to me. I guess I also don't get an F+ that I said I should get earlier since i don't live in or from LA. :mrgreen: Maybe I need to ask some of my relatives who live in LA who this guy is.
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

I left out one major band that was practically a landmark in the LA punk scene but to call them pure punk is kind of a crime cause they were beyond eclectic. In fact the lead singer is such a quintessential goddess of live shows she caught the attention of a leading hunk from Lord of the Rings. And this band I am going to see live for free in downtown LA this summer which is why I'm posting who they are in the proper thread.....
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

luvulongTIM wrote:I left out one major band that was practically a landmark in the LA punk scene but to call them pure punk is kind of a crime cause they were beyond eclectic. In fact the lead singer is such a quintessential goddess of live shows she caught the attention of a leading hunk from Lord of the Rings. And this band I am going to see live for free in downtown LA this summer which is why I'm posting who they are in the proper thread.....
Saving everyone else the time to find it, it's X. The LotR clue is the giveaway, if you know that Exene Cervenka used to be married to Viggo Mortensen (possibly the most unlikely rocker/actor marriage this side of Faye Dunaway and Peter Wolf).
Live in Phoenix
Full of Fire

Post by Live in Phoenix »

Gregg Allman and Cher strikes me as odd, too. (Plus, without the rocker qualification, Lyle Lovett and Julia Roberts.)
Chris K.
Let's Get It On

Post by Chris K. »

Rodney is probably better off somewhere else, his time slot kept getting worse and worse (I think he was on starting at midnight on Monday mornings). Anyway, it was a great show.

As a side note, the tagline "world famous KROQ" actually started out as a joke, then it became quasi-true as the station grew more influential (world famous is a stretch, but at least famous enough to be mentioned in Blur's "Look Inside America").
John
Let's Get It On

Post by John »

If anybody wants more information on Rodney watch The Mayor of Sunset Strip.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayor_of_the_Sunset_Strip
luvulongTIM
Different Class

Post by luvulongTIM »

Btw he got his own show on SIRIUS radio which to my shock people were absolutely ecstatic about. Also ironic since Rodney doesn't have cable and hates the internet and no I'm not a stalker ;) What shocked me were people's enthusiastic reactions. I just assumed with record stores closing the only way people get music is for FREE or at the very most go on to apps like Pandora, Spotify or Deezer. I honestly thought that radio DJs were a dying breed. Never took SIRIUS that seriously. I just thought it was a cheap ploy from Stern and his cronies to get more listeners. Now I know it's more than just saying "fuck" and "shit" a lot and farting the National Anthem. Who knew? I thought everyone was going to root for him to go to KCRW where only suckers pay for subscriptions....jk Everyone knows the true suckers are those who pay in the triple digits for vinyl ;) JK! I had no idea how many subscribers SIRIUS had. Much respect. I might look into it cause lately since I think SOME critics are off their game when it comes to music that gets all the acclaim. If it's possible since I'm broke I might look into getting one month only to see if I like what I'm hearing. I know nothing about satellite radio or whatever Sirius is so I'll need all the help I can get.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”