Olivia Newton-John: Appreciation

JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Olivia Newton-John: Appreciation

Post by JR »

OK, first off- I'm very aware that she is not one of the most acclaimed artists of all time, but I've always ADORED her. If she's a "guilty pleasure," then I am guilty on all counts. :mrgreen:

I've been a fan of hers since, like 1980, when I was 5. And I actually got to interview her recently and meet her briefly after her show in Easton, Pa. So, if there are any other ONJ fans, I thought you may be interested in the trilogy of articles I got to write. ;)

The first is a pretty lengthy piece, about her influence/impact, that doesn't get discussed much. The second is more about "Grease"/soundtracks success and how she changed her image after the movie. The third is a review of the show.

These were labors of love, and I spent a very lengthy period of time on them, cumulatively. So for anyone who takes time to check them out, thanks, and hope you enjoy them. :music-listening:

Olivia Newton-John to 'Liv On,' showcase iconic career in Easton
http://www.poconorecord.com/entertainme ... -in-easton

Newton-John pulled 'a Sandy' after 'Grease,' reigned as soundtracks queen
http://www.poconorecord.com/entertainme ... en?start=2

With 'Grace and Gratitude,' Olivia Newton-John wows Easton
http://www.poconorecord.com/entertainme ... ows-easton
Last edited by JR on Thu May 25, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Re: Olivia Newton-John

Post by babydoll »

Oh, dear, I thought she died when I saw this thread. So happy she didn't.

While I've never been too interested in Olivia Newton-John, I must admit that I actually adore "Hopelessly Devoted to You", "Magic", and more importantly, "Physical". Guys, if you haven't seen the "Physical" video yet, you must. It's so just great in its campiness.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

babydoll wrote:Oh, dear, I thought she died when I saw this thread. So happy she didn't.
Same.
jamieW
Keep On Movin'

Post by jamieW »

Great job with these articles, JR! As someone (like you) who grew up adoring Olivia, I can only imagine the privilege of interviewing her. In fact, she's largely responsible for my lifelong musical obsession, since it was my love of "Physical" and its historic chart run that made me begin writing down Casey Kasem's weekly top 40 when I was 10 years old. (That longstanding tradition eventually led me to Acclaimed Music, and the rest is history.) Your articles demonstrate not only the beautiful person Olivia is, but also the influence she's had - both musically and socially - that many others may not even realize. She'll always be one of my favorite artists. Thanks for sharing!
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

Perish those thoughts, babydoll and bootsy. There's been enough loss, musically and personally. It is unfortunate that it takes someone passing for some to appreciate an act or check them out. So why not celebrate them when they're here, especially those who are, in general, underappreciated? :music-listening: I did adjust the thread title somewhat, to make clear what it is)

babydoll- that video is something, isn't it? And that ending- very risque for its time.

jamie- thanks, and glad you enjoyed them. Olivia's always been one of my favorites, and when I saw she was performing in a surrounding area, I was not going to let the opportunity pass me by. :P
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Re: Olivia Newton-John: Appreciation

Post by StevieFan13 »

While I'm not a huge fan of her music (with the exception of "Greased Lightning," I'm not even a huge fan of the Grease soundtrack), she definitely seems like a cool person, and it's great that you were able to meet her!
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

She didn't sing on "Greased Lightnin'," though "The Grease Megamix" includes that track, plus two that she does sing on. ;)

Olivia does seem like a good person, especially with all the humanitarian/environmental work she's done. She had to postpone many concerts this month because of a problem with her sciatica, so hopefully she's doing better.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

JR wrote:She didn't sing on "Greased Lightnin'," though "The Grease Megamix" includes that track, plus two that she does sing on. ;)

Olivia does seem like a good person, especially with all the humanitarian/environmental work she's done. She had to postpone many concerts this month because of a problem with her sciatica, so hopefully she's doing better.
I know. And there's irony for you: I like her voice way better than John Travolta's, but his song is the one I find the most tolerable! (I do a lot of musical theatre, and of all the shows that come up in conversation, none annoy me quite as much as Grease.)

I hope she's doing better as well. Can't fault anyone for good intentions, especially for the environment.
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand - Sir Duke (1976)
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

Ahh, yes- the part about "Greased Lightnin' was tied to the comment about Grease, so I should have tied them together. :P

Is there anything in particular about Grease that "annoys" you, if ya don't mind me asking?
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

JR wrote:Ahh, yes- the part about "Greased Lightnin' was tied to the comment about Grease, so I should have tied them together. :P

Is there anything in particular about Grease that "annoys" you, if ya don't mind me asking?
The overplay of the songs and the message that you have to change for the guy as opposed to the guy changing for you. Also, it features Frankie Valli, and I hate Frankie Valli.
prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

StevieFan13 wrote:
JR wrote:Ahh, yes- the part about "Greased Lightnin' was tied to the comment about Grease, so I should have tied them together. :P

The overplay of the songs and the message that you have to change for the guy as opposed to the guy changing for you. Also, it features Frankie Valli, and I hate Frankie Valli.
Danny also changed for Sandy, you know.
Too bad about Frankie Valli. I mean he's just an okay artist overall, but "Grease" is one of the best pop songs of all time.
But yeah I suppose the songs could possibly be overplayed. I love the soundtrack, but I prefer some songs more than others.
babydoll
Movin' On Up

Post by babydoll »

prosecutorgodot wrote:Too bad about Frankie Valli. I mean he's just an okay artist overall, but "Grease" is one of the best pop songs of all time.
Eh, "Grease" isn't one of his best songs. Not when you have contenders such as "Walk Like a Man" and "Can't Take My Eyes Off You". Now those are just plain great pop.

Also I forgot to mention another great song of hers that I like: "Xanadu". Amazing. I love that song even though I probably do not ever want to see the movie.
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

Xanadu is a fun song. The soundtrack for that movie gets a pass because I can't get annoyed at ELO. And I do like Can't Take My Eyes Off of You and December 1963.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

OK- I can see that point, Stevie. But, as prosecutor mentioned, Danny also was willing to change for Sandy. I think it showed, though, that it wasn't just that motivating Sandy- she herself looked to be having some inner struggle with being "Sandra Dee," and wanted a change.

I love 'Xanadu" the song (as well as the other hit singles from the film, "Magic" and 'Suddenly"). Like I said, I'm guilty on all counts of loving Olivia. hehe

As I wrote about in the main article, she did some early video work that often gets overlooked- some of her videos had a plain crazy/wild vibe to them, especially those made around the "Physical" era (she did a "visual album" long before Beyonce and others).
StevieFan13
Wuthering Heights

Post by StevieFan13 »

http://people.com/music/olivia-newton-j ... ed-sacrum/
Really, really hoping for the best for Ms. Newton-John. Regardless of my thoughts on her music, she sounds like a wonderful person, so I hope she can get through this.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

This is upsetting, but she is a strong, formidable woman- sending positive thoughts her way.

Even more reason to appreciate her if you're a fan, or even admire her as a woman/human being.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

On a side Olivia note, apparently she and her daughter have cameos in the upcoming Sharknado 5. Surely she's aware of the franchise's absurdity and just thought it would be something fun to do with Chloe. :D

Back to her videos, though- I'd recommend checking out some of her early videos. Crazy, in a good way- as director Brian Grant said in the lengthiest article, she wasn't afraid to take some risks with video concepts and such.
JR
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JR »

The positive outlook is going strong- they rescheduled one of Olivia's concert dates to late September.

Return to “Music, Music, Music...”